Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Ultrasonic Extraction

momofthegoons

Vapor Accessory Addict
Staff member
I saw this article and thought it looked interesting. Has anyone heard of this or, even better, tried it?

A Leap Forward In Cannabinoid Extraction With Ultrasonic Techniques
Ultrasonic extractors also referred to as ultrasonic emulsifiers, are part of the new wave of extraction science.

Ultrasonic extraction is the next leap forward in cannabinoid extraction techniques. Due to the continually moving goal post of cannabis law, the medicinal cannabis industry is experiencing an explosion of technological advancements. This is especially true when it comes to exploring novel new methods for extracting viable therapeutic compounds like cannabinoids.
c_BSP-1200_rendering_blue_translucent.jpg

Image Courtesy of Industrial Sonomechanics, LLC. BSP-1200 BENCH-SCALE PROCESSOR

Extraction has gone from rudimentary ethanol solvent based procedures, which technically could be done in a garage, to increasingly complex and expensive devices. These new extractors require significant technical know-how and typically require a substantial financial investment, sometimes into the tens of thousands of dollars.

Ultrasonic extractors also referred to as ultrasonic emulsifiers, are part of the new wave of extraction science. This innovative method is substantially less costly than other advanced technologies on the market. This has opened up the playing field for small to medium-sized operations to significantly improve their extraction processes.

Benefits Of Ultrasonic Extraction
Sonication, a term which refers to the use of ultrasonic waves, has become increasingly popular since its release. It comes as no surprise to industry veterans, who know that most commonly practiced extraction techniques come with unavoidable problems. The benefits of sonication easily beat out the competition, and often with much less investment.

Ultrasonic extraction has a number of benefits, for a producer's bottom line as well as the quality of the final product. For one, sonication is a much more environmentally friendly extraction method that does not rely on harsh solvents to extract the cannabinoid. Another main reason for the rise of ultrasonic extraction is that the entire process takes a matter of minutes to complete. Other methods take hours, sometimes days to deliver a final product. Plus, as mentioned earlier, it is much more economical than other mechanisms.

The mechanism is widely adaptable to many different applications, from commercial to industrial, to medicinal products. The ultrasonic extractor can be used with many different solvents. Depending on what the final product requires, an ultrasonic extraction method can work with a variety of substances such as ethanol, CO2, H2O, olive oil, coconut oil, and many others.

Importantly, for producers who care about preserving the integrity and concentration of cannabinoids and terpenes, ultrasonic extractors do not rely on heat. Extraction methods which rely on high heat quickly destroy the sensitive cannabinoid content, which subsequently destroys much of the whole-plant medicinal benefit. Many suppliers advertise the fact that these extraction methods are extremely low thermal and do not require temperatures to go above 60 degrees Celsius.

How Does Ultrasonic Cannabis Extraction Work?
Ultrasonic extraction addresses the extremely problematic fact that cannabinoids, like THC and CBD, are naturally hydroponic. Without harsh solvents, it is often difficult to expel the precious cannabinoids from within the cell interior. To increase the bioavailability of the final product, producers need to find extraction methods that break down the tough cell wall.

The technology behind ultrasonic extraction is anything but easy to understand. In essence, sonication relies on ultrasonic waves. A probe is inserted into a solvent mixture, and the probe then emits a series of high and low-pressure sound waves. This process essentially creates microscopic currents, eddies, and pressurized streams of liquid, forming a particularly harsh environment.

These ultrasonic sound waves, which emit at a speed of up to 20,000 per second, create an environment that breaks through cellular walls. The forces which typically work to hold the cell together are no longer viable within the alternating pressurized atmosphere created by the probe.

Millions upon millions of tiny bubbles are created, which subsequently pop, leading to the complete breakdown of the protective cell wall. As the cell walls break down, the inner materials are released directly into the solvent, thus creating a potent emulsion.

Building Off Ultrasonic Methods
The sonication emulsion process can be combined with many other extraction methods to create even higher concentrations. Unlike other less-advanced processes, the ultrasonic method is remarkably reproducible. All the parameters can be meticulously set, and then easily replicated.

Building off the already high-quality products produced through ultrasonic extraction, producers can combine with other methods to improve the final cannabinoid potency. For example, liposomal technology is often combined with sonication in order to increase the bioavailability of the final product.

Liposomal technology takes substances, like CBD which are naturally hydroponic, and transforms them into water-soluble substances. Liposomes are essentially tiny messengers working within the human body, and by encapsulating cannabinoids within this process, producers can develop a powerful therapeutic agent.

@momofthegoons , @herbivore21

Ok, I get it... you still need some sort of solvent to carry the cannibinoids and ultrasonic waves to break down celluloid cell walls sounds like sense also.

But this raised some questions in my mind:

leading to the complete breakdown of the protective cell wall. As the cell walls break down, the inner materials are released directly into the solvent, thus creating a potent emulsion.

Specifically, yeah....cell wall breaks down and inner materials are released....and these would be ALL inner materials, right? Those we want and those we don't, correct?....maybe?

Rather than start a new thread I thought this would fit here since they are talking about nanoemulsions made with ultrasonic equipment.

Ways to Consume Cannabis: How Water-Compatible Nanoemulsions Can Help
Aug 20, 2017 9:00:00 AM / by Alexey Peshkovsky, Ph.D

medicinal%20cannabis-small.jpg

There are many ways to administer medical and recreational cannabis, each with its own benefits and drawbacks. One common feature, however, is that only a certain (generally small) percentage of the consumed cannabinoid content, defined as "bioavailability", can be absorbed into the bloodstream with each method. This stems from the fact that cannabinoids are not water-soluble and, therefore, not readily compatible with the predominantly water-based human body. Water-soluble compounds such as ethanol, on the other hand, can be quickly and efficiently delivered to the bloodstream via a variety of alcoholic beverages, eliminating the need for other delivery methods. Wouldn't it be great if the same could be done with cannabis?

Well, now it can! As described in our previous blog post, cannabis-infused beverages with enhanced bioavailability profiles and rapid onset of action can now be made by using nanoemulsions. For those who prefer other delivery routes, nanoemulsions can help as well. In this article, I will go through the main cannabis administration methods and explain how using water-compatible nanoemulsions of cannabis extracts or isolates can be beneficial for each.

There are four main routes of delivering cannabis to the bloodstream:

Oral (digestive)
Pulmonary

Transmucosal Transdermal
via edibles and
gel capsules
smoking, vaping, dabbing

sublingual, intranasal, ocular, rectal
via creams, ointments, patches, topicals

Oral (digestive)
cannabis%20gel%20caps%20-%20small.jpg

Edibles, gel capsules

Oral bioavailability of hydrophobic (water-hating) bioactive compounds is known to be very low [1]. Poor water solubility of these compounds leads to slow and inefficient bloodstream absorption. In order to be absorbed, they must first travel through the stomach into the small intestine and become incorporated into mixed micelles by lipases, phospholipids and bile salts released by the gallbladder, after which they can be transported across the epithelial tissue into the bloodstream and to the liver (the "first pass effect"). Thus, it takes over an hour for cannabinoids consumed as edibles or gel capsules to start arriving in the bloodstream, and only about 6 - 8 % of the originally consumed amount ever makes it, the rest simply goes to waste. To make matters even worse, the absorbed amount is strongly dependent on each person's metabolism and other foods that may have been previously or simultaneously consumed, making it difficult to determine what dose should be administered.

How cannabis oil nanoemulsions can help:

cannabis%20emulsion.png

Water-compatible cannabis nanoemulsions can be easily mixed into and consumed as part of practically any beverage. Since they comprise nano-sized oil droplets and already include all the necessary carrier oils, they are to a large extent able to directly penetrate through the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach lining into the bloodstream. This results in a very quick (10 - 15 min) onset of therapeutic action. The pharmacokinetic profile of such "direct uptake" is similar to that of smoking, vaping or dabbing (see below), and can be thought of as "vaping through the stomach". The rest of the nanoemulsion arrives in the small intestine, where it is digested and absorbed in a way similar to common edibles, but much faster and more completely. Since the nanoemulsion already comprises droplets similar in size to the mixed micelles to be formed in the small intestine, its digestive absorption does not require large oil globules to be broken down into nano-particles. The most inefficient step occurring during the digestive absorption of edibles and gel capsules is thereby circumvented. The results of replacing traditional edibles and gel capsules with nanoemulsion-infused beverages, therefore, include superior bioavailability, faster onset of action and straightforward dosing with fewer pharmacokinetic variations.

Pulmonary
e-cigarette-1301670_640.jpg

Smoking, vaping, dabbing

These methods involve creating and inhaling air suspensions of small cannabis oil droplets using heat from a flame (smoking) or an electrical atomizer coil (vaping, dabbing). Smoking is the most traditional cannabis consumption method that does not (but may) require any special equipment beyond rolling paper and a lighter. Many people, however, do not like the harsh experience and potential health hazards associated with smoking. Vaping and dabbing are commonly seen as safer and lower-cost alternatives to smoking. Although they are "cleaner" than smoking, these methods are also harsh on the lungs, produce odor and second-hand effects, and are associated with potential health risks [2, 3].

The main advantage of these methods is that they produce rapid effects. Cannabis oil droplets condensing in the lungs are quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and are directed to the brain and not the liver, as they would be in the case of digestive absorption. The bioavailability, on the other hand, is still relatively low and unpredictable, since most of the inhaled smoke or vapor is exhaled and lost, and the manner in which this happens strongly depends on the individual.

cannabis%20nebulization%20-%20small.jpg

If cannabis can be consumed in the form of a beverage and give you quick and predictable results, would you still prefer to use your lungs? If pulmonary delivery is still preferred, nanoemulsions can be used in conjunction with a nebulizer - a device that creates an inhalable mist from a water-compatible liquid. The advantages of this approach over smoking, vaping or dabbing include significantly milder experience (appropriate for children and elderly patients), higher bioavailability (mist is practically not exhaled), and practically no odor or second-hand effects.

Transmucosal
sublingual-cannabis111112.jpg

Sublingual, intranasal, rectal, ocular

During transmucosal delivery, active substances diffuse into the bloodstream through a mucous membrane, such as the tissues under the tongue (sublingual, via a tincture) [4] or in the nasal cavity (intranasal, via a nasal spray) [5]. Although significantly less common, the delivery may also be made through the rectal wall (rectal, via a suppository or cream) or the eye cornea (ocular, via a lotion, ointment or eye drops) [6].

The sublingual method of administering several drops under the tongue is common for consuming cannabis oil tinctures (cannabis extract solutions in a carrier oil or alcohol) and is relatively fast-acting and effective. Holding the drops under the tongue for a sufficient period of time is, however, rather difficult, and most patients end up swallowing the doze prematurely. This sends the medicine down the digestive absorption track, diminishing and delaying the effects and resulting in an unpredictable bioavailability.

cannabis%20nasal%20spray.jpg

Nasal sprays are also commonly used to deliver cannabis oils through the well-vascularized mucosa of the nasal cavity directly into the systemic blood circulation. Thisintranasal method is fast and, in most cases, efficient, although somewhat uncomfortable and limited to small amounts of liquid per spray. The bioavailability of this administration method is also highly unpredictable due to the variability in the amount of sprayed liquid that passes through the nasal cavity and is swallowed. An upper airway infection or differences in spraying mechanisms can also result in strong pharmacokinetic variations [5].

Since nano-emulsified cannabis oil can now be consumed in the form of a beverage and produce fast and predictable effects, there is no need to administer it under the tongue or spray it into the nose. To a large extent, nanoemulsion-infused beverages already act via the transmucosal absorption mechanism, penetrating through the tissues of the mouth, throat, esophagus and stomach directly into the bloodstream. For those who still prefer the sublingual or intranasal route, nanoemulsions offer superior absorption kinetics and complete water compatibility, which eliminates the need for alcohol, polyethylene, propylene glycol or glycerin in the formulations.

Transdermal
creams%20and%20topicals.jpg

Creams, ointments, patches, topicals

Transdermal delivery represents an attractive alternative to oral, pulmonary and transmucosal administration routes. With this method, active ingredients are absorbed into the bloodstream through the skin from an externally applied cream,ointment or patch. It should be pointed out that topicals are used for localized effects (e.g., to treat local inflammation, pain or skin conditions) rather than for the delivery into the systemic blood circulation and, therefore, are not the same as transdermal creams [7]. Although convenient, the transdermal delivery method using traditional formulations is slow and inefficient because of the complexity and low permeability of skin structure.

Transdermal delivery of cannabinoids can be significantly enhanced with a novel formulation type called "nano-emulgel", which is produced by entrapping an aqueous nanoemulsion of cannabis oil in a semi-solid colloidal network (hydrogel) [8]. Nano-emulgels enhance skin permeability of oils, leading to faster, more complete absorption of cannabinoids into the bloodstream than has been possible with traditional creams, ointments or patches. They are also non-greasy, more spreadable and stable, have better active substance loading capacity, and can be easily washed off the skin whenever desired.

How to make water-compatible cannabis oil nanoemulsions
Cannabis oil nanoemulsions (a.k.a., water-soluble THC or CBD) are simple to make with Industrial Sonomechanics’ patented Barbell Horn Ultrasonic Technology (BHUT) and stabilizer packages. Nanoemulsions can comprise tens of mg/ml of cannabinoids, and may be made translucent, allowing them to be mixed into water without compromising its optical clarity. Detailed formulation development and process optimization procedures are available in our free eBook: "Making Stable Emulsions".

Benefits of the ultrasonic production of cannabis oil nanoemulsions include:

BSP-1200_Sys._Ass._-_Opac_Yellow_-_6000px-456381-edited.jpg

• Tens of liters (thousands of doses) per hour;
  • Extremely small droplet sizes (translucent);
  • Low surfactant requirements;
  • Emulsifies all cannabinoids and terpenes;
  • No damage to ingredients (e.g., THC, CBD);
  • Simple, economical and safe processing;
  • Easy equipment setup and maintenance;
  • Direct laboratory-to-production scale-up.
Our high-amplitude ultrasonic processors can continuously produce food- and pharmaceutical-grade cannabinoid nanoemulsions on laboratory, bench and industrial scales, guaranteeing reproducible results and superior quality.

Further information on CBD and THC nanoemulsions, including how they can be prepared using ultrasonic liquid processors, is provided in our recent blog post: "Are Cannabinoids More Effective in Nano Form?"

Both interesting, thanks. Skunk Pharm had a NEW post using ultrasonic tech with dry ice kief and glycerin. Got 5% into solution, very clear after filtering. Can't find it.

Don't understand how this relates to nanoemulsions, but wonder if these approaches can get higher percentages into glycerin for vaping e-juice.

If this is resurrecting an old thread apologies
I have been in over my head the past year in a lot of this
Nano emulsion is awesome, the products you can make are over the top
Brought back a lot of memories researching scientific work from Mexico, Canada and Israel that landed me here and future4200, no idea what was going on in the threads
Eventually to modernist pantry and molecular gastronomy
That's when I considered finger painting, apparently you can't audit kindergarten
My point here is the equipment available
Amazon product

Amazon product

I came across these and they seemed to fit what I was attempting, anyone ever try anything like this?

I am thinking of trying squished rosin pucks in a jar of iso in my ultrasonic cleaner suspended in a water bath then evaporate the iso once it looks 'full' of oil...or I might just crockpot or both.:science:

I am thinking of trying squished rosin pucks in a jar of iso in my ultrasonic cleaner suspended in a water bath then evaporate the iso once it looks 'full' of oil...or I might just crockpot or both.:science:
May I ask why you do not use etoh?........not that I have ever seen a rosin puck, live under a rock
Have access to rosin, distillate, shatter, wax or crumble......making my own concentrate was more fun, plus no waiting in line
I know heat can be a factor with sonication and the whole operation can go up in flames with 190 proof etoh
Have my immersion blender and ordered 2grams of crumble as I'm writing this, maybe run alongside you and use etoh and the immersion blender and compare
Some concern on my part with the efficacy of low temp decarb
Just some rambling thoughts

@LesPlenty - If you perfect this process with the pucks please let us know. I may or may not have given these away in the past because of the amount and not knowing how to process them properly. I am highly interested in any technique that is practical to process these, on a moderate/ medium scale.
I prefer a sous-vide circulator for canna applications, way more control (I use that for everything.....)...2c

TIA

I would be up for a little experimenting

Just a clarification, in a previous post I used the term immersion blender when it should have been immersion circulator
This is going to be a stoner misinformation nightmare for me

Any chance a rosin puck is kief that is put into a cylinder with other metal pieces and screw caps on the end and pressed and tightened over time?
I actually have/had one, cannot find it
IMG_20210105_203855.jpg
I used kief from my grinder and made little pucks out of them
I would decarb the pucks in the oven then use etoh to make tincture, wild ride-dosing was impossible to control without knowing the potency
Forgot I had a little kief, now the missing press is going to drive me crazy

May I ask why you do not use etoh
No access to it in Australia unless I make my own.

Any chance a rosin puck is kief that is put into a cylinder with other metal pieces and screw caps on the end and pressed and tightened over time?
What you describe is a keif/pollen press, rosin puck is a 10g cylinder of buds packed in a bag then squashed in a press with heat to extract the essential oils (rosin concentrate)
1609898508963.jpg

May I ask what you use for a press?
Just Googled them earlier, looks interesting, prices all over the place
Sasquash-Press-M1-angle_590x.jpg

You can spend $10 or $1,0000.00 on these...all kinds for all budgets.
It really comes down to how often you will use it and how much you are willing to spend.
Perhaps you can share the cost with another grower(s).I have invested in big equipment purchases with close friends with great success and profit.

I perhaps may have seen a close friend using the M1....pretty amazing trouble free machine, pays for itself in no time....but at $2k you would have to be nuts like myself to even buy it, regret it, and sell it to a friend :razz2:

Dabpress offers the best value for the money, I used a hair straightener for a while, works pretty well but you are in for a lot of work to get any quantity. Just don't bother with a Slug33, I have never seen anything I would like to dab come out of one. :thumbsup:

View attachment 23109

You can spend $10 or $1,0000.00 on these...all kinds for all budgets.
It really comes down to how often you will use it and how much you are willing to spend.
Probably go the $500-$1000 price range to begin research, entry level equipment is just too risky and the results too unpredictable
Forgive my ignorance, preoccupied with familial illness over the last 10+ years, it used to be just smoke a joint ( love to know the genesis of that term), maybe a glass bong
Now water soluble thc crystals
Dabpress offers the best value for the money, I used a hair straightener for a while, works pretty well but you are in for a lot of work to get any quantity. Just don't bother with a Slug33, I have never seen anything I would like to dab come out of one. :thumbsup:
If I messed with the wife's hair straightener that's it, broke the fridge over the summer winterizing tincture, took over two months to replace
Think I would set a precedent in divorce court by getting a death sentence for killing a fridge during a pandemic
Hope its not a jury trial
Thanks for the responses, having a little info makes the searches easier

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back