Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

VA Help Request: Remote Temperature Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddave

Accessory Maker
VaporAssylum Inmates,

DDave needs your help!

I'm looking for a temperature gauge solution for some tinkering I am doing.
(Patents are pending relating to this quest, so I am not able to provide any further details than those below).

Gauge Requirements:
  • Fast, must come up to temperature reading quickly. Must quickly reflect changes in temperature.
  • Analog or Digital? Not of concern, except if digital, must run off minimum AAA battery. No watch batteries.
  • Temperature sensor/pickup: either wire or flexible tube, thin as possible.
  • Accuracy, must be +/- 2 degrees of actual temp... the more accurate the better.
  • Size: if round, no larger than US Silver Dollar coin. If rectangular, 1"x3" approximately.
  • Temp Range: 0 - 500F (Higher temps will not necessarily disqualify the device).

What am I thinking? (to give you an idea of what I seek)
shopping

What would I desire changed regarding the pic above?
  • Temp range not high enough.
  • Temp sensor lead too long. Not a big priority, but shorter would be desired.
  • Temperature pickup is a bit big. The smaller the better.

This is a long term tinkering project that "may" result in something cool. Or it could be scrapped completely.

Incentive? Always!
If you post the device I end up using (and the project reaches completion), depending on the end cost of the result, you will either end up with a gifted something-or-other (I have no name for it yet) or be entered into a drawing to win one. This is a long term project, especially due to the patent process...

So, to summarize, I am seeking a small temperature monitoring device that has a small remote pickup, short temp lead, quick to come up to temperature, if possible no battery or AAA if needed.

Thanks in advance to any who post!

I think your issue will be in getting one as responsive as you like. I think you will most commonly find K-type TCs that plug into hand held devices (but I'm sure someone makes a panel mounted type thermometer display) but they take a good while to come up to speed and settle.

All of the really quick ones I have found are probe type, hand held cooking thermometers, like the ones from Thermoworks, and I don't think that's what you are looking for.

http://www.thermoworks.com/

I'm thinking you may want to do some research on industrial instrument company offerings like Auber (and I don't know who else but I'm sure there are many more sources):

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17

I think your issue will be in getting one as responsive as you like. I think you will most commonly find K-type TCs that plug into hand held devices (but I'm sure someone makes a panel mounted type thermometer display) but they take a good while to come up to speed and settle.

All of the really quick ones I have found are probe type, hand held cooking thermometers, like the ones from Thermoworks, and I don't think that's what you are looking for.

http://www.thermoworks.com/

I'm thinking you may want to do some research on industrial instrument company offerings like Auber (and I don't know who else but I'm sure there are many more sources):

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17
@Baron23
Man, after searching the entire Internet...
error20110724-22047-1yiod8v.png

You throw out a link and I find exactly what I'm looking for! Counting this as a win!

If what I found fits into the result of further tinkering, consider yourself in the running!

Thank you!

@Baron23
Man, after searching the entire Internet...
error20110724-22047-1yiod8v.png

You throw out a link and I find exactly what I'm looking for! Counting this as a win!

If what I found fits into the result of further tinkering, consider yourself in the running!

Thank you!
At Auber? I thought with a quick glance that there may be something suitable there for you. Is that what you found?

Was actually the other link, thermoworks... :aaaaa:
Oh, Very cool....I didn't have enough time to go through their whole site but I do own a Thermoworks pocket type thermo for BBQ. It will hit temp in 6 seconds or less (pretty much as instantaneous as you can get) and I used it constantly.

Glad it helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back