Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape Vapman by Element Medical

andreaerdna

I would like to introduce to the asylum one of the most refined butane vape out there.

It is an old design, improved to almost perfection during 10 years, swiss made, tiny gold plated bowl

Here the first official video from swiss mountains

Here the recent one including the new heating station

It is a conduction/radiation vape with a very little convective help.

When not assembled or while it is in its egg shell, is almost unbreakable.
Egg shell itself is few minutes water resistent

I own both models, one with mica shield and the basic one without it. I cannot speak for the heating station as I do not own it yet.
Asides from aestetics they both work the same.
The one without mica shield, during first rounds, gives notes of burned wood, then charred wood acts as heat shield and stops further charring.
As the vaporpath is wood made, this vape may not apply to everybody.
Cleaning of vaporpath section is possible by acetone bath but it is never 100%clean as glass or metal can be

Vapman offers no real feedback so if you are not paying atention you can combust.
If you are seeking for big clouds (definitely capable of) you can look downside the mouthpiece after heating a moment, when you see vapor you know you are good to go (kind of weak feed back) otherwise it is counting 1-2-3

Here an usage video

It heats fast and the ritual is quite appealing to me

It works very very well also with concentrates (I rarely use them but when I do it, it is vapman for sure) it has a dedicated special screen for that.

Official site/store

https://shop.vapman.com/products_new.php?language=en

Disclaimer: I like my vapmans but I am not affiliated with them by any mean, I payed for both my vapmans

Last edited:
It's been a long time that I have wanted to add this station to the rotation. It finally arrived on Monday and is better than I could have ever imagine! It is so simple and straight forward to use it has zero learning curve and makes the vapman approachable for everyone even if they don't like using butane lighters. With the precise heating temperatures there is no worries of over heating or charring the herb. I believe this station makes the vapman an even more efficient vaporizer. I have claimed the vapman to be my all time favorite vape with just using the lighter and now the station completely seals the deal and this is my favorite vape I have ever owned or used!

I took a few pictures I would like to share!

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

:peace:

Hello, VA friend's,

It appears that Mr. Mellish has lucked into an unexpected opportunity be the first FC’er to meet René in person. Better still, it appears Mr. Mellish is the first to meet him in The Shop.

Let’s answer a few expected questions at the outset.

· Yes, Switzerland is as beautiful as you expect it to be.

· Yes, this man is as nice as you expect him to be.

Having met René in person, I must warn you that he looks a bit different in person than in the videos. Here is a shot of René staring wistfully out to sea:

2isfcif.jpg

OK, I’m kidding. That is Aramis. He is the dog of René’s business partner, Adrian. I include him here because he is an awesome dog and, frankly, is more handsome than René or Adrian.

The office can be found in an unassuming industrial building near the old town center of Biel, Switzerland. Enter and go up the stairs an you’ll find a roomy office that provides the space needed to stock inventory and for all of the equipment used to produce the Vapman and the Vapman station. This is a big deal because, as you see some of the equipment the team uses to produce the Vapman, you’ll need to bear in mind that this equipment was once crammed into one room at René’s house.

You get a sense of René’s enthusiasm from his posts but that does not come close to showing the passion he has for his creations. While many of today’s vaporizers are produced by committee, with a focus on the next tweak and on profitability, this vape was created by a man who loves him some ganja and who wanted to find an efficient and healthy way to consume his favorite earthly vegatation (although, I can say that he also gets very, very jazzed pointing out trees and talking about their utility as VM material).

This man is creative and driven but he brings a different perspective to vape design. His first question isn’t how he will make money or how many cool options he can throw into it. His focus is this: How can I make a highly efficient vaporizer and make it as simple as possible? He then begins to ask himself how to preserve the flavor and to ensure the effect. Based on the vapes I have and the threads I read about other vapes, I don’t think I’m too far off track on this observation (although I admit it is not all encompassing).

I’ll pause here to say that I don’t use the VM as much as some of my other vapes and I’ve shared this with René. It isn’t because I don’t love it, it’s because the butane form factor is trickier to deal with in my personal situation. This write-up is going to seem glowing but that is because of the sincere focus and passion that René brings to his efforts. I did not receive anything from him and, in fact, reluctantly turned down offers to test his various devices because I was looking at a 2.5 hour drive and really didn’t want to lose work time sitting in a jail in Europe.

Let’s take a look at the shop:

2aieds7.jpg

This is where the magic happens and much of this was jammed into René’s house before they took over this office space (yes, that INCLUDES the venting system you see to collect dust as René’s runs his lathe and his sander). René built the venting system himself.

28rz2g3.jpg

This lathe is what started it all. René bought this device, built decades ago, and uses it for a variety of things. He uses it to build his own jigs, to shape the custom Vapmen, and to service the other tools he uses. His jigs are incredible. I’m not a toolmaker but I’ve worked in manufacturing and his tools are amazing. The precision and fluid motion (if required) of these jigs leaves nothing to chance. You don’t hear about Vapman returns because of the precision built into the jigs and the design (and it’s a good thing you don’t because René is shattered on those rare times that it does happen – e.g., the Vapman Station) . And, you can’t really appreciate the stunning complexity of this simple little device until you’ve seen partial assemblies and bins of parts. Your electronic vape may have more parts but it absolutely does not have the attention to detail and quality that this vape does. René points out that the VM has never been duplicated because no one could or would go to the trouble of building the fixtures necessary to produce a suitable rival.

2pt457c.jpg

Next up, this station is where he sands the Vapmen and where he does the precision drilling. It is not obvious from looking at the assembled Vapman but this device includes 16 custom screws that have to go into holes drilled at some crazy angles. However, as a former CNC programmer, René is comfortable working in 5 dimensions.

2m68qkn.jpg

This station is the place where some of the final assembly is done. For example, the “wok” (as René refers to it – I actually like that because it points to his inspiration but I still prefer cauldron) and the pins and springs are attached here.

This concludes my very rapid introduction to the production area. Now for a few random photos, including the friction-based Vapman (the only device he feels could use additional design and simplification work).

dpzrzm.jpg

To your left, as you enter the office is a display cabinet that I cannot believe I forgot to get a full picture of. The top shelf shows Vapmen made in a variety of woods. Each presents a unique color and grain pattern that is gorgeous in person. The lightest one between 5:00 and 6:00 is made from a tree in René’s yard and has very little grain at all.

The fully disassembled Vapman rests on a chunk of tree from Australia that a friend gave him. In that breakdown, you get a better sense for all the screws required and the odd angles in which they need to be installed.

The two pins you see near the mouthpiece are the ones that keep the stem attached to the body. They are the only off the shelf item in the entire Vapman assembly.

If you look carefully beneath the Vapmen, you will see this bad boy:

kcklmr.jpg

If I could have anything found in The Workshop, it would be this wonder. It has a fully glass vapor path, runs the vapor through water, and uses an adjustable halogen bulb to heat the material. René said he starts it on the highest setting and then backs the temperature off as he begins to feel the draw resistance change. This is the first thing René built and it was a bit of a copy of the Aromed. It’s beautiful and looks highly effective. There are still a few available for sale.

Below, you’ll see the outer cannister and the electronic assemblies for the revised Vapman Station. Yes, Virginia, there will be more Vapman Stations. Although I did not try the Station, René did demo how it works and it really is amazing. It seems like the perfect device for people with dexterity issues or other impairments that affect their ability to use a torch, or even some of the other electronic devices on the market. As an example, René has a blind customer who loves the Station. René shared with me that, because he is the center of the Vapman Universe, the straight up setting on the Station dial is his preferred setting. It appeared to be a very gentle and safe way to vaporize herb and René insists it hits him harder than a Vapman on its own.

qrcl8y.jpg

Finally, the infamous friction-based Vapman.

3445pvm.jpg

9uun2b.jpg

28qxhuc.jpg

As I was preparing to leave, René followed me out to the street where my car was. We talked for another hour about the vaporizer market and about his ideas for the future. He has broad depth of knowledge of the market, some of the players, and his own thoughts on what works, what doesn't, and what might down the road. Someone should try to convince him to do an Internet fireside chat.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry the photos weren’t better but I’m just not that great a photographer and it was a last minute thought to do this. Glad I could take one for the team on this one.

Several attempts to upload the video of René demonstrating the friction VM failed. Too bad, it was fun to watch!

What an awesome post @Mr Mellish !

Your write-up is full of warmth and high regard.... just lovely! Rene radiates such a good energy even online, I'd love to meet him in person (and Aramis!) one day.

I would also love one of the Element desk tops! So beautiful!

Thanks for sharing
:smile::weed::peace:

Hello, VA friend's,

It appears that Mr. Mellish has lucked into an unexpected opportunity be the first FC’er to meet René in person. Better still, it appears Mr. Mellish is the first to meet him in The Shop.

Let’s answer a few expected questions at the outset.

· Yes, Switzerland is as beautiful as you expect it to be.

· Yes, this man is as nice as you expect him to be.

Having met René in person, I must warn you that he looks a bit different in person than in the videos. Here is a shot of René staring wistfully out to sea:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sorry the photos weren’t better but I’m just not that great a photographer and it was a last minute thought to do this. Glad I could take one for the team on this one.

Several attempts to upload the video of René demonstrating the friction VM failed. Too bad, it was fun to watch!
This was a wonderful write-up, thanks for this man! René always struck me as a stand up guy, and I had a great time with my vapman and station back in the day.

I hope we'll see something new from René in the not too distant future, since I no longer have a place in my line-up for any of his current vapes. I'd be glad to send some more business his way. I should say in this thread that my experience with René was one of the best examples of service I've seen in the vape industry! This is rare praise from me, I assure you! :biggrin: :weed:

This was a wonderful write-up, thanks for this man! René always struck me as a stand up guy, and I had a great time with my vapman and station back in the day.

I hope we'll see something new from René in the not too distant future, since I no longer have a place in my line-up for any of his current vapes. I'd be glad to send some more business his way. I should say in this thread that my experience with René was one of the best examples of service I've seen in the vape industry! This is rare praise from me, I assure you! :biggrin: :weed:

Thanks! René told me he felt the Vapman is as optimized as it can be. He did hint that he has another idea he is playing around with but would only smile when pushed for details.

@Mr Mellish
Thank you for the tour! Indeed Renée is an amazing individual- at least from my experience, online. The Vapman Mica was one of my first 2 vaporizers, both received within a month. I still love it. The only reason why it doesn't get at least weekly use today is out of respect with some other medical issues in my household (currently all my butane vapes are shelved until I can find silent torches)

Personally, I would love any excuse to talk to someone enthusiastically about trees, I may have to see what I can prompt via email with Rene LOL! I have had such good experiences interacting with René and some other artists that I feel conflicted about how good the quality of their work is at times- because I do not have need to email or interact with them very often- These people sound like people I may actually want to spend my time with!
Rene has shown some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

I had forgotten about that experimental Aromed revamp. Now that I am getting into desktops, or might be a place in my Quiver for one- I may just have to email Rene and find out.

@Seren I can relate.
I have had my Vapman since 2013, and while I have tracked the evolution of the station, I only received mine in the last couple of months.

Good afternoon,

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself a little as it is my first message as I have been a lurker since quick few months now.

I am 35 years, living in Europe where MJ isn't legal but is decriminalize and allow for medical usage.

Summer 2018 : All those CBD shops remind me that I use to be an MJ user back in college. We use to smoke hash from various qualities because weed was difficult to find. I decided to try and started to smoke CBD. Was really enjoying the very light and subtle effects. At first. Then, I keep smoking for several weeks until it reach a point where this reminded my former cigarette smoker habits (stopped 6 years ago) and started to dislike the sore throat, the cough, finger smelling...

December 2018 : I decided I want to keep doing it but trying vaporizing as it seems healthier. Wasn't really attracted by another electronic device with cable, charger, power brick, batteries, buttons, leds (you got it). I don't remember how the Vapman knocked on my door but I was quickly seduced. Praised by experienced vapers, low tech, learning curve, made with care, high quality materials, efficient, aesthetically pleasing, small (I could continue...).

January 2019 : Ordered a wallnut mica. So tiny. So precise. Beautiful piece of handcraft. Got the hang of it really quickly. Started to vape all sort of thing like damiana, hope flower, lavander, camomille... Until I decide to remember what THC looks like and what vaping actual weed look like. So light, so clean and so strong at the same time. I now remember how much I loved the stone effect. But I also discovered what is like to be high. Loved it too. Having easy access to top quality weed didn't really help to back off. I keep vaping many stuff and become quickly very good with the torch. Every evening I was trying something different and kept the good stuff for the week end.

March 2019 : Fall in love with a photo of the yew version found on internet. Sold quickly my walnut and bought a lovely yew. Hmmmmmm... Different wood, different feelings. Being an hobbyist wood worker, this talks to me.

April 2019 : I wanted to understand how far I can extract all the good stuff so I had the opportunity to buy a second hand station on FC. It has improved my extraction technique.

Summer 2019/Lately : bought a dynavap M shadow to vape CBD during the day as it is very effective to reduce my anxiety. If only I had heard about CBD before... I liked the minimalist style and the no brain aspect (easy to load, the click, the stealth...) but don't really like to the taste. Too metallic too harsh compared to the Vapman. CBD flowers produces more vapor and I am not really comfortable with their "dryness". Even with the airport fully open. Anyway, I think I will sell it as I have the impression that I want to like more than what I am actually feeling.

Back to the Vapman. After 8 month of almost daily usage I can really say that I became really good at it whatever content you put in the bol (by the way I can confirm what many says : this thing is a workhorse with European-style hash). What I can say is that, when the bol isn't full (half) I can go wherever I want with it and push the extraction to any level I want and I can get same "evenness" than with a station. With a full bol, not quite. I keep the station for sharing session and full bol sesh. I have the impression that slow cooking extracts a vast panel of substance that you can miss when you go too fast. It gets me very far with just a pinch and slow extraction. So economical.

I loved this thing, tks René.

VNA5qS5.jpg

vvrnpTL.jpg

Good morning,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome to everybody.
Yes that grain pattern is awesome. I've aked to René to choose for me a highly contrasted wood pattern. Looks like it is in fire. Definitely not regretting in swapping for the yew version. What is funny is that it reacts differently from the walnut version. Being more dense, the wood soaks the heat more quickly so it can get very warm in comparison with the walnut which is by essence more insulated. Also the airflow seems more open with this one.... And to the touch the yew is so smooth... Love keeping this little object in my hand after a session. Warming my hand. Here is a close up:

jb8Rgbx.jpg

Over the past months I have exchanged a bit with René as I was curious about the man itself and his approach to what is doing. This is something I already posted on FC with his permission, so below some extracts :
This is how vapman was conceived in my head: The main object was to make a small and portable vaporizer needing as little energy as possible and still being very save regarding the handling and the materials.
This was in February 2005, at that time were no small and well functional vaporizer on the market. I was thinking from the very start about a liquid gas vaporizer.
The energy density of liquid gas is at least 30 times higher than the best batteries. Gas is also more ecological.
It was also clear to me, that the bowl has to be made of copper as it is after silver the best conductor. The wok shape was also in my head instantly, it is the best shape for transmitting the energy of a flame into a container.
I was also thinking about wood from the very start, plastic was never ever an option.
Thinking all this lead to the final shape of vapman. It was function and materials, which lead to the form. In the end it was pure magic, because it was better than ever could wish for. I made a lot of things in my life already but vapman is very special, indeed. The very special thing about vapman is the fact that it is on the market for such a long time and still a niche product, making it very interesting and intriguing. I still love vapman and I’m still believing in it very strongly.
The first drawing I ever did when I decided to do a gas-powered vaporizer in the year 2005 is attached. It is now almost a historic document.

This is how I personally use vapman: Medium grind, medium flame, 4 seconds heating, short puff to taste the flavors, 3-4 seconds more heating and the first long inhalation of about 10 seconds. Then repeatedly heating of about 4 seconds and inhaling up to 15 seconds. Depending on the herbs, I do this 8 to 15 times. I never make huge clouds, I prefer gentle extraction, it is healthier and much more potent as all the substances come through.
VbI51P0.png

Reading the entire 300+ pages dedicated to the Vapman on FC (3 times), and being my first vape I also experimented and questioned myself a lot about the vapor cloud. Clogging the holes or not ? All of them or just one. And after some time I finally use it as it is. Just a pinch of herb and that thing gently send you on the moon even with very gentle extraction. No need of big cloud. So efficient...

Hi Guys,

Please find some picture about small customisation work I just finished.

Before:
2e01Wsc.jpg

After:
Pw5vRm5.jpg

The station fit snug on the base.
The base embed the power brick (ventilation holes added).
I have drastically shorten the cord between the power brick and the station and added a 90° plug behind the station (hidden here).
It bought a longer, 90° power cord to plug on the wall to compensate.
The base is made out of plywood, cork, wrapped with kraft paper and black lacquered japanese paper.
Everything can be removed/unplugged in <10 sec.
Cheers,
:cool:

Nice mod @Victarion. I was always curious on the Vapman & nearly pulled the trigger some years ago but never got around to it. From my understanding this is a match made in heaven for the assorted hashes that are common in Europe.

Welcome to the forum too bonghit

Hi @Stevenski,

Thanks for the kind words.

My take on the Vapman: Works incredibly well with European hash styles yes I can confirm. But not only. With weed it is very very very efficient but...
...but there is a pretty long learning curve to achieve good results that are repeatable. The size of the bol makes it very sensitive to any small change in flame length, distance, heating time, draw speed... You need to develop a feeling for it and get sensitive. You need to accept that once in a while you will combust (as all butane vapes) and that there will be time with a lot of vapor and time with less vapor. This is a ritual vape to me.
However despite the vapor density, this vape will ALWAYS medicate you.

The station is something can help you discovering how efficient it can be. To illustrate this, last Saturday, I've made a full bol so I've decided to use the station rather than the torch lighter (the station heats more evenly). Full bol is a pinch in the vapman (<0.1g). I've set the temperature to 3 and started to heat, inhale, heat, inhale... Back to Back. First 3 draw I had only taste (strong taste), then next 2 or 3 draws the taste slowly decreased but no visible vapor. You definitively tell that something was happening as the air was getting warmer and warmer. Then I had started to see light vapor. And it became denser and denser as the time was passing. And I had at least 3 draws with dense vapor (no harch). I stop the cession because I was totally wrecked and look at the avb (golden brown). I could have gone further by increasing the temperature. After 12 draws (I usually draw anywhere between 10 and 20 sec so...) there was still some rooms for 1 or two draws I think. And yet, no bad taste.

All these words to tell you that this vape is extremely efficient if you give to yourself some time to learn and give him some time to cook slowly your herbs. It is not the kind of device that is meant to rip a full bol in one or two draws and milk the room. They are ways to achieve that but there are plenty of other vapes that will do it better. The Vapman is extremely efficient at extracting every bit of cannabinoides. Hence the efficiency despite its size. It is a slow cooker.

It's sad to see this unique and beautiful little piece of Swiss precision being discontinued, tho knowing the complexity of inputs it doesn't surprise me. Glad I caught 'em all while I had the chance.

I think this was my third vaporizer that I had bought as I was getting into the activity. I probably didn't fully appreciate how well it worked since I was a gourmand and was far too lazy to deal with the tiny bowl size.

since then having purchased a 1\4 when In was getting back into it I thought it might be a great way to stretch out that pricey shit. I was not disappointed and tell back in love with it. It is the perfect device for microdoses......especially when herb is ground finely. The vapor quality is unmatched too.

The heating station is on my list and wish I had grabbed a yew for myself while I had the chance. My musty old Element pear classic is still performing like a champ. And tho I don't always reach for it, it does make regular performances.

Thanks Rene for the awesome product..... in the off chance that you follow the forums.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back