Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Weather

No....just no.
3353824A-3A41-4F1F-9924-8867B523E1BA.png

SEPTEMBER 4, 2020
Ocean carbon uptake widely underestimated
by University of Exeter

ocean
Credit: CC0 Public Domain
The world's oceans soak up more carbon than most scientific models suggest, according to new research.

Previous estimates of the movement of carbon (known as "flux") between the atmosphere and oceans have not accounted for temperaturedifferences at the water's surface and a few metres below.
The new study, led by the University of Exeter, includes this—and finds significantly higher net flux of carbon into the oceans.
It calculates CO2 fluxes from 1992 to 2018, finding up to twice as much net flux in certain times and locations, compared to uncorrected models.

"Half of the carbon dioxide we emit doesn't stay in the atmosphere but is taken up by the oceans and land vegetation 'sinks'," said Professor Andrew Watson, of Exeter's Global Systems Institute.

"Researchers have assembled a large database of near-surface carbon dioxide measurements—the "Surface Ocean Carbon Atlas" (http://www.socat.info) - that can be used to calculate the flux of CO2 from the atmosphere into the ocean.
"Previous studies that have done this have, however, ignored small temperature differences between the surface of the ocean and the depth of a few metres where the measurements are made.

"Those differences are important because carbon dioxide solubility depends very strongly on temperature.
"We used satellite data to correct for these temperature differences, and when we do that it makes a big difference—we get a substantially larger flux going into the ocean.

"The difference in ocean uptake we calculate amounts to about 10 per cent of global fossil fuel emissions."
Dr. Jamie Shutler, of the Centre for Geography and Environmental Science on Exeter's Penryn Campus in Cornwall, added: "Our revised estimate agrees much better than previously with an independent method of calculating how much carbon dioxide is being taken up by the ocean.

"That method makes use of a global ocean survey by research ships over decades, to calculate how the inventory of carbon in the ocean has increased.

"These two 'big data' estimates of the ocean sink for CO2 now agree pretty well, which gives us added confidence in them."
The paper, published in Nature Communications, is entitled: "Revised estimates of ocean-atmosphere CO2 flux are consistent with ocean carbon inventory."

You can really feel fall in the air here. Our temps are down into the low 70's during the day... 50's and 40's at night. I'm starting to think this might be an early winter. We're due for a winter that's cold and has a lot of snow. I wonder if this winter will be the one.

Fall is my favorite season. I love the crisp days and nights... the fall colors.

It’s 90 degrees today in the area where I live south of Seattle and Tacoma. We’ve had some small grass and forest fires by the roadway in several areas. The sky has been hazy and I smell smoke.

I can’t believe the crazy folks that lit fireworks off for a gender reveal party. Now they have a huge fire going. I would imagine that they will be fined who knows what else. I’m sure they feel sorry about it now. I feel CA, OR and Washington state is burning up. Worse for Cali.

Per @PalouseNews these photos show the near total destruction of Malden, Wa. hit by an unbelievably fast wildfire just hours ago. #WAWildfires

5:05 PM · Sep 7, 2020 from Marysville, WA

Last edited:
King 5 weather
'Significant smoke' from Oregon, California headed toward Puget Sound region

Wildfire smoke from Oregon and California is expected to reach King, Kitsap, Pierce, and Snohomish counties and is expected to further worsen our air quality.

Author: KING 5 Staff
Published: 12:16 PM PDT September 10, 2020
Updated: 12:38 PM PDT September 10, 2020

The air quality for the Puget Sound region could get worse before it improves.
Wildfire smoke from Oregon and California is expected to reach the area by Thursday night.
Air in much of the region could reach unhealthy levels for everyone by Friday morning, according to the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Current air quality conditions range from moderate to unhealthy for sensitive groups.

It’s 91 degrees again today. The sky has looked golden colored all day. Earlier in the week we had this weird afternoon 25 mph wind for like 3 days, which caused several wild fires. The local fire districts have been busy. I’m thankful to all the volunteer firefighters as well as the paid salaried fire fighters.

I know a family that thought they would have to evacuate, they moved all their farm animals. Luckily the fire was contained.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sep. 9, 2020 at 4:34 pm Updated Sep. 9, 2020 at 8:20 pm
Early morning smoke hangs in the air Wednesday at the Sanpoil River Arm north of the Columbia River in Eastern Washington. Wildfires have left a blanket of thick smoke throughout parts of the  state. (Amanda Snyder / The Seattle Times)

Early morning smoke hangs in the air.

This is what it looks like around the area. What about the poor wild small animals?
Rain is on the way next Tuesday. Hopefully enough to clean out the air. I want it to be enough to help some of the fires. I feel so sad for whole communities that have burned up. How many people will die?

This is global warming and I feel not enough is being done. All of the hazy skies in late summer started about 4 or 5 yrs ago here, its been a problem in CA for a while. We’always had fire season but nothing like this. It’s hard to stand by and watch. All along the west coast is the worst air quality in the world!
Needed to stay indoors with windows shut today and yesterday - WTF.

Last edited:
I had so many hummingbirds over the summer in the yard and at the feeder. When we had the smoke from the wild fires they left or possibly died. The weather has changed and we had rain and some wind to help clean the air. I haven’t seen a single hummingbird in a 3 weeks or more. I’m hoping they come back. We have mild winters so we have hummingbirds year around.

It was in the high 40's this morning with rain and it switched to sunshine.... Then rain started again and temps plummeted. We had a period of hail.... and have 50 mph winds forecasted. Currently it's snowing and blowing like crazy. Big old fat flakes. Next week we have close to 70° F forecasted for two of the days. Welcome to Michigan. :lol:

My grandma told me that in the early 1900s her family moved from Michigan to western Washington state because the winters were too cold. You guys have hot summers too! I’m sure a beautiful place with all the Great Lakes and the small rivers that run from them.
I still haven’t seen many hummingbirds since the smokey skies. We usually have them year around. I keep my feeder filled.

A winter wonderland at my home. We don’t get a lot of snow in Western WA. It was like snowmageddon at Safeway yesterday. Stocking up before the storm. I just don’t want to loose my power is all I care about. I do have a great wood stove with a lot of firewood. Spent a lot of time stacking. Maybe get a total of 8 inches by Sunday. Only a few inches now. Been snowing for about 8 hours. I can’t get the picture bigger.
4540043B-792D-4AB3-9479-FFAAA945391F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back