Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Weather

Yesterday was a lovely calm overcast day with the sun peaking out here and there through the clouds. I needed to slip into the village to collect my mail and go to the bank. The drive down the mountain and into the village takes around three minutes. I'd be gone for less than a half hour.

As I drove down the mountain road the sky darkened and my headlights automatically came on. By the time I got to the Post Office it had begun to spit rain. A minute later as I came out with my mail in hand it was raining steadily. I walked to my Jeep and put my mail on the seat, collected my umbrella and proceeded to walk to the bank located across the street.

As I entered the bank the skies opened up and sheets of water came down in a burst and bounced as it hit the ground. Then it started hailing. It was a torrential downpour and it was so dense that I couldn't see my vehicle parked across the street.

As I stood there waiting for the rain to ease up, I remembered that all my upstairs windows were open at home. So, I made a dash for it. The wind was swirling the rain in all directions and I got soaked despite having my umbrella. Moments after getting inside and putting on my seatbelt, before even putting the stick shift in gear, the rain and hail abruptly stopped.

I drove home to discover wet window sills and puddles of water on the floor. It took about 10 bath towe!s to soak up all the water.

All this over maybe 20 minutes.

Then I changed my wet clothes and settled in with a nice hot cup tea. I looked out the window and the sun was shining.

Yesterday was a lovely calm overcast day with the sun peaking out here and there through the clouds. I needed to slip into the village to collect my mail and go to the bank. The drive down the mountain and into the village takes around three minutes. I'd be gone for less than a half hour.

As I drove down the mountain road the sky darkened and my headlights automatically came on. By the time I got to the Post Office it had begun to spit rain. A minute later as I came out with my mail in hand it was raining steadily. I walked to my Jeep and put my mail on the seat, collected my umbrella and proceeded to walk to the bank located across the street.

As I entered the bank the skies opened up and sheets of water came down in a burst and bounced as it hit the ground. Then it started hailing. It was a torrential downpour and it was so dense that I couldn't see my vehicle parked across the street.

As I stood there waiting for the rain to ease up, I remembered that all my upstairs windows were open at home. So, I made a dash for it. The wind was swirling the rain in all directions and I got soaked despite having my umbrella. Moments after getting inside and putting on my seatbelt, before even putting the stick shift in gear, the rain and hail abruptly stopped.

I drove home to discover wet window sills and puddles of water on the floor. It took about 10 bath towe!s to soak up all the water.

All this over maybe 20 minutes.

Then I changed my wet clothes and settled in with a nice hot cup tea. I looked out the window and the sun was shining.
You'd think you lived in Michigan.... our saying here is, "if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute." :rofl:

Oct.2 in Nashville and the temp was 99 with 101 heat index. Nashville averages 45 days of 90+ temps. This year we've had 98 days of 90+ temps with a couple more to come. Less than one tenth of an inch of rain in the last 42 days. This is too much.

Well, the Wooly Bear caterpillars are out and about. Legend has it that they can predict the coming winter by their stripes. If the brown sections are greater than the black, the winter will be milder. A short brown midsection predicts a harsher winter.

I saw this guy yesterday. I tried to get a good shot of him but he wasn't keen on it, so off he creeped as I pursued. Finally in frustration, he curled up and waited for me to go away and leave him alone. So I left and went off to do something for a minute or two and when came back to check on him....there he was....gone! He must have scurried off as fast as his many legs would take him as soon as he saw that I was gone.

Anyway, judging by his brown section I would guess that we are in a for an average winter, maybe a bit on the mild side.
20191025_155644_kindlephoto-51033660.jpg

20191025_154307.jpg

20191025_154616_kindlephoto-50882188.jpg

Front page headline in the WaPo today in the print version.....about fire in CA and how it was caused by climate change.

Now, I'm really not trying to introduce a battle, particularly one drawn along political partisan lines, about climate change. To me, the fundamental science is sound. The solutions difficult and complex.

But I'm 67 years old and from as long back as I started reading and listening to the new, CA has always had huge wild fires. Also, mud slides wiping out homes in the canyons. Also, Malibu mansions washed in the ocean by storms.

And I remember always looking in amazement as people rebuilt homes and businesses in areas that were just devestated by natural catastrophe with as regular a timing as a metronome.

If I'm not incorrect, many areas of CA were basically desert (no, not the sand in the Sahara but nonetheless) and that many habited areas are habitable only due to redistribution of water up and down the state. And, give water to one part of the state it has to come from another part.

I certainly don't mind....and in fact applaud....frank and fact filled discussion of issues facing us, including impact on our planet's climate. But I hate reading some BS from a WaPo cub reporter hyperventilating about "climate change" without any real knowledge (or even an understanding of the difference between climate change and weather).

The Chicken Little "The sky is falling" routine does not, IMO, well serve the discussion and debate of climate impact issues.

Last edited:
And I remember always looking in amazement as people rebuilt homes and businesses in areas that were just devestated by natural catastrophe with as regular a timing as a metronome.
Many years ago, I worked for a man who had built a big beautiful home in an area that was locally known as Tornado Alley. A high end neighbourhood had been built there.

Well, when the house was a couple years old a tornado swept through the area, ripping off a good part of his roof. The roof was rebuilt. The following year, while at their cabin at the lake they received a call from their neighbours in town telling them that their roof was on their drive and could they come move it! The roof was rebuilt, but it was at this point that I suggested to him that he might consider moving.

Well they stayed and a couple years later it happened again!!! I don't know what happened after that because I moved away from the prairies and lost touch.

I was always surprised that the tornado's path was so consistant. His neighbour's house had remained untouched.

Now, I'm really not trying to introduce a battle, particularly one drawn along political partisan lines, about climate change. To me, the fundamental science is sound. The solutions difficult and complex.

Let's not go down that pathway for all our sanity but the solution is indeed difficult & complex. What it does not require is knee jerk emotional responses that are so en vogue currently.

In some parts of the world fires are a fact of life. One can minimise their potential with strategic backburning & proactive environmental management. Well we used to at least.

Fire is natures cure all. Cleansing everything in it's path allowing the land to start afresh. Indigenous folks around the world know the score all to well.

Gonna be a dry hot summer here with a shitload of fires unfortunately. The bush is tinder dry.

It's hot, dry, and up to 102 mph winds. Power out, water restricted, part of town burning, but evacuation lifted in town, so guessing it's under control. Heavy smell of smoke from Sonoma County fire, and time to wear masks. Kincade fire only 5% controlled. Pictures of fire in town.
downloadfile-326.jpg
downloadfile-24.png

Last edited:
Winter has come early but hopefully the temps will melt it all away before it settles in for good..

Last week I was admiring the bushes that grow along the banks. They bear lovely red berries. I think they are pretty against the bare grey twiggy bushes.
20191103_145523.jpg

Then yesterday, we were greeted with snow. It sat heavily on the branches.
20191107_133648-2.jpg
20191107_115337-3.jpg

Normally, I could drive under that pine tree. The weight of the snow have the boughs draping the ground.

Winter has come early but hopefully the temps will melt it all away before it settles in for good..

Last week I was admiring the bushes that grow along the banks. They bear lovely red berries. I think they are pretty against the bare grey twiggy bushes.
View attachment 14503
Then yesterday, we were greeted with snow. It sat heavily on the branches.
View attachment 14504View attachment 14505
Normally, I could drive under that pine tree. The weight of the snow have the boughs draping the ground.

I swear we have the same weather, lol. Here's two pics from my cat walk
IMG_20191105_112109502.jpg
IMG_20191105_110826789_HDR.jpg

Our bushfire season has started with fury. My cousin was evacuated but her house spared overnight. That can't be said for at least 150 homes so far. Summer is going to be a bad one.

FB_IMG_1573280723689.jpg

The first snow is always so beautiful. I love living in the climate I do because we have four distinct seasons. Each one brings joy and wonder and different daily routines. Were heading into, or maybe we are now into winter. Albeit a bit early, snuggling by a toasty fire is seasonal joy while gazing out at the new landscape created by the winter wonderland.

Last edited:
The first snow is always so beautiful. I love living in the climate I do because we have four distinct seasons. Each one brings joy and wonder and different daily routines. Were heading into, or maybe we are now into winter. Albeit a bit early, snuggling by a toasty fire is seasonal joy while gazing out the new landscape created by the winter wonderland.
I couldn't agree more! I'm pestered constantly to move to a warmer climate. And I love the area I'm in and want no part of it. While the winter season is a bit long, I wouldn't trade having four distinct seasons for a constantly warm climate. I love the snow. Especially at night.

Family is safe now but so many people have been affected & lost everything. Just terrible & partially avoidable with better land management.

Sydney is covered in smoky haze today so you don't want to be outside.

We have enjoyed some lovely mild weather this holiday season and it looks like it will take us through to the New Year.... Can you believe that we are days away from a new decade?!? 2020!!!

Today brought drizzling rain and an opaque heavy layer of fog developed that obscured everything a few yards ahead. Here is a pic of the edge of the forest as the fog began to lift and expose the trees hidden from view just minutes before. I love the fog!
20191227_124618-2.jpg

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back