Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law Weird Cannabis News

"Keppel accused Ellis of burning cannabis. Nah, Ellis replied, he was just burning leaves, just burning trash. If Deputy Keppel wanted to see cannabis, he should come inside."

There are just certain levels of stupidity that simply cannot be overcome.

Florida Man Burns Pile of Pot Leaves in Backyard, Leads Cops to His Stash Inside
64-year-old Florida man David Ellis was super friendly to the sheriff’s deputies who arrested him, but he still didn’t snitch.

Where there’s smoke there’s fire. And where there’s weed smoke, there are nosey neighbors. One towering column of cannabis smoke later, and police arrived at the home of Fellsmere, Florida man David Ellis. To officers’ surprise, Ellis made no effort to hide the open burn that was quickly engulfing the trimmings from a few dozen cannabis plants. In fact, he welcomed officers inside his home, just to make sure they understood the difference between flower and trim. Because in Ellis’ words, he wasn’t burning cannabis, as police claimed. He was burning “trash, the stuff you don’t smoke.”

Florida Man Gives Sheriff’s Deputy the Easiest Weed Bust of His Life
As Indian River County Sheriff’s Deputy Luke Keppel pulled up to Ellis’ home, he quickly saw what prompted a neighbor’s complaint in the first place. Blanketing the quiet neighborhood in a smokey haze, the unmistakable smell of cannabis wafted through the air. At ground zero was an open pile of debris, Deputy Keppel said, spewing out flames about a yard high.

When Keppel knocked on the door of the residence, Ellis answered. Together, the officer and the Florida man walked toward the burning debris pile. Ellis told the officer it was just leaves. It wasn’t a lie. Leaves, stalks and other trimmings from several small cannabis plants were in the fire. Keppel accused Ellis of burning cannabis. Nah, Ellis replied, he was just burning leaves, just burning trash. If Deputy Keppel wanted to see cannabis, he should come inside. And that’s exactly what Ellis invited Keppel to do. “I’ve got a quarter pound of it inside,” Ellis explained.

Deputies Thankful for Gracious Arrestee
Inside, Deputy Keppel saw enough to call for backup. He saw a large aluminum baking tin filled with raw flower. Pipes and bongs littered the kitchen and living room, Keppel wrote in his report. Keppel and Ellis went back outside the house. And Ellis, who had been attending to a howling tea kettle, asked the deputy if he’d seen the tray of cannabis. Keppel said he had. “I’ve got more in the refrigerator,” Ellis told Keppel.

By then, backup had arrived. A search of Ellis’ home turned up 174 grams of flower and a little more than a half-ounce of wax. “Did you find it all?” Ellis asked.

Ellis spent the night and an early breakfast in jail before posting $6,000 bond last Friday. He’ll soon appear in court on multiple drug charges. The 64-year-old Florida man is facing felony marijuana possession charges, possession of a controlled substance without a prescription and misdemeanor drug paraphernalia possession. Marijuana decriminalization efforts are spreading across Florida. But in places where police are actually adopting them on the ground, they only apply to misdemeanor possession. Hopefully, Ellis’ graciousness toward his arresting officers will play to his favor in court.

Maybe I should open a thread titled "Disgusting Cannabis News" as I find the facts of this article truly disgusting.

"stage 4 pancreatic cancer patient who has stopped receiving chemotherapy treatment."

Understand that this guy is in hospice type situation.....no longer curative care, just palliative at the end of his life and they got to search his fucking hospital room?

This blows...watch the vid...its appalling.

Police search cancer patient's hospital room for marijuana; video sparks backlash

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. – A Missouri police department has faced backlash after a video posted to social media Wednesday showed officers searching for marijuana in the belongings of a cancer patient in a hospital room.

The family has identified Nolan Sousley, stage 4 pancreatic cancer patient who has stopped receiving chemotherapy treatment. Sousley takes cannabis to manage his pain as he approaches the end of his life, the Springfield News-Leader reports, citing Sousley's social media.

The video shows three Bolivar, Missouri, police officers in Sousley's hospital room searching through his bags. Sousley is told that if marijuana is found he will be issued a citation but not taken to jail.

Bolivar Police Chief Mark Webb told the News-Leader that the social media backlash has included threats against police and a deluge of questions that the department was unable to keep up with.

At one point in the video, Sousley references the legal status of medical cannabis in the state. Last November, Missouri voters overwhelmingly chose to create a medical cannabis system, but the state will not be taking any applications for cannabis patient ID cards until July 4.

16c1184d-c78e-43ff-bdba-bc23588dd46c-nolan.jpg

Tylor Sousley with his father, Versailles resident Nolan Sousley. The Sousleys say Nolan has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. (Photo: Courtesy Tylor Sousley)

Referencing marijuana, Sousley says in the video "medically in Missouri, it's really legal now. They just they haven't finished the paperwork."

"Okay, then it's still illegal," one of the officers replies.

"But I don't have time to wait for that," Sousley says "What would you do?"

The officer says he refuses to engage in "what if" games.

The video also shows police saying they received a call reporting marijuana in the room; one officer says he can smell pot.

Sousley bristles at the allegation, saying, "And there is no way they could smell it, doc, because I don't smoke it, I don't ever use a ground-up plant. It's an oil I use in a capsule, there's no smoking it. I take it like a pill."

In the video, Sousley admits to consuming cannabis "in the parking lot."

Webb said that no marijuana was found with Sousley in the hospital room Wednesday night and that his officers issued no citations.

He said officers were dispatched following a 911 call that came in from the hospital.

Webb said more events took place during the incident than were shown on Facebook Live, which were recorded on officer body cameras, but he declined to be more specific.

"I don’t know that they did anything," he said. "Making contact, looked through some bags and left."

The incident happened at Citizens Memorial Healthcare in Bolivar. The hospital declined to confirm any details but emailed the News-Leader the following statement:

"Unfortunately, due to HIPAA (federal privacy law), we are unable to comment about any specific patient, their treatment or what was done or not done in any particular situation. Generally speaking, it is against the Hospital's policy to smoke or vape on the Hospital's campus. It is also our policy to call appropriate law enforcement any time Hospital personnel see or reasonably suspect illegal drug use in patient rooms or otherwise on campus."

Ok, so Moslely is the AG who brought the country the Freddy Grey fiasco so....I tend not to see her as very competent overall.

So, we like that she is not going to charge people for simple possession.....what does that have to do with this guy and 17 lbs packaged for sale? Just what is the policy in Baltimore?

NC man free after he was found with 17 pounds of marijuana in Baltimore

BALTIMORE —

A Baltimore lawyer says his client lost his job after spending a month in jail on marijuana charges, even though Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby changed her policy to no longer prosecute possession cases.

Dwight Chinyee is a free man. He was charged Feb. 5 with importing marijuana and possession with intent to distribute.

Police say the North Carolina man had 17 pounds of marijuana when he was pulled over for speeding. Chinyee was arrested and held without bail for 30 days.

"If you're going to come on out and tell the people, 'Hey, I'm not going to prosecute people, no matter how much you have on you,' then why are you making them sit in jail?" said attorney Tony Garcia.

In late January, Mosby announced marijuana possession cases would no longer be prosecuted, regardless of weight or a person's criminal record.

Her office will prosecute distribution of marijuana as long as there is evidence of intent to distribute.

According to the statement of probable cause, Chinyee had 17 large, clear, heat-sealed bags of marijuana in the trunk of his car.

Maryland Transportation Authority police say the marijuana weighed 17 pounds and was packed in a manner that's consistent with possession with intent to distribute.

"You can buy 48 bottles of water, you can buy other products in bulk. It just means you take it home and you use it over time," said Garcia.

In a statement issued after the charges were dropped, a spokeswoman for the State's Attorney's Office wrote: "There were several factors that we initially considered that were supportive of the distribution charges in this case. However, after further review and investigation, our prosecutors determined that the facts did not extend beyond mere possession."

The MDTA police union is pushing back. In a statement, the president wrote: "It is incredibly disturbing that an officer of the court would release a suspect back on the street that had been arrested with such a large amount of illegal drugs." They went on to say, "There is no doubt this individual will go right back to distributing illegal drugs as soon as he can." The full statement can be found here.

"Sour grapes. My client doesn't have a record. What are they talking about?" said Garcia.

Garcia tells 11 News his client is already back in North Carolina.

This is utter BS.

Party Guests Suing Over Mass Arrest for Less Than An Ounce of Marijuana

Attorneys representing the arrestees in Cartersville, Georgia, say they were mistreated in jail, lost jobs, and endured public humiliation.
On Dec. 31, 2017, Nija Guider finished her waitressing shift and headed to a friend’s 21st birthday party in Cartersville, Georgia. She had been at the party for less than an hour when, suddenly, the police arrived. Without a warrant or permission, they entered the house and detained everyone inside. Guider and more than 60 other guests’ wrists were zip-tied.

“Boom, we were all going to jail,” Guider, then 21, recalled.

Each guest was charged with possessing less than an ounce of marijuana that had been found in the home. Some spent days in jail, held under harsh conditions, Guider and other party guests allege. The district attorney’s office would eventually drop charges against everyone. But many of those swept up at the party say the arrest cost them jobs and hurt their reputations.

While Guider was still in jail, her mugshot and those of others arrested were posted on the Bartow County jail website, in violation of Georgia state law, according to their attorneys. By the afternoon of Dec. 31, their mugshots were on the news, underneath headlines about a Cartersville drug bust.

“Everybody was treated inhumanely and talked to like they should expect this,” said Atteeyah Hollie, senior staff attorney at Southern Center for Human Rights.

Now Hollie and her colleagues, along with attorneys from The Merchant Law Firm PC, are helping the arrestees fight back. Today, they filed suit against the city of Cartersville, as well as members of the Cartersville Police Department, Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force, and Bartow County sheriff’s office, alleging that the search and mass arrest violated the plaintiffs’ constitutional rights.

Cartersville Mayor Matt Santini told The Appeal in an email that because the incident may involve litigation, he could not comment. The Cartersville chief of police and Bartow-Cartersville Drug Task Force did not respond to requests for comment. In response to a public records request, Bartow County Sheriff Clark Millsap shared general information regarding the department’s procedures but did not address the specific allegations.

Everybody was treated inhumanely and talked to like they should expect this.Atteeyah Hollie, Southern Center for Human Rights

Sun Choy, who is representing the city, said over email that he could not give an interview “in light of the anticipated litigation.” However, he added, “I am comfortable in saying that we believe that any plaintiff will have to overcome some significant legal hurdles if he/she pursues a claim.”

In addition to recovering financial damages for their clients, the plaintiffs’ attorneys hope to draw attention to the department’s warrantless search practices, which they consider unconstitutional. Nationwide, unlawful searches disproportionately impact people of color, heightening concerns over their use. In this case, according to jail records, more than 50 of those arrested were Black.

‘Exigent circumstances’
Here’s the police account: At about 2 a.m. on Dec. 31, 2017, Cartersville Police Officer Joshua Coker was responding to a report of gunfire in the area when he drove down Cain Drive. Even with his car windows rolled up, he smelled marijuana, according to his testimony at a subsequent hearing.

He then saw four men in front of the home where Guider and others had gathered. Coker requested two other officers in the area join him.

The officers asked the men what was occurring inside; they explained it was a party. The officers then entered the home and announced everyone was being detained, according to police testimony. The majority of the guests were in their late teens or early 20s, according to booking reports.

“I had exigent circumstances to go inside and clear the residence … and make sure of no destruction of evidence prior to the Drug Task Force arriving,” testified Coker.

The exigent circumstance, he said, was that he smelled marijuana. He further explained that it is police department policy to enter a home without a warrant if marijuana is smelled inside or outside the home, “clear the residence for any occupants,” and contact the Drug Task Force, which was formed in 2008 to combat drugs and violent crime in Bartow County.

But, the partygoers and their attorneys say the police response was degrading and unconstitutional. While detained in the house, some of the guests were forbidden from using the bathroom while others, including Guider, were permitted to go only with the door open, according to the complaint. A search warrant for the home was signed at 4:19 a.m., about two hours after the police arrived.

Each guest was then searched—no drugs were found during the pat-downs—put into Bartow County sheriff’s vans, and taken to the county jail, where they sat in the jail garage for “upwards of an hour,” according to the complaint. One person who was denied permission to use the bathroom was told to “just piss on yourself,” the complaint alleges; he urinated on himself inside the van.

When people spoke up about their mistreatment, they were threatened with Tasers, or sent to “isolation cells” for roughly five to seven hours, according to the complaint.

Once inside the jail, they were held for one to three days in crowded cells that felt unheated, and some lacked sleeping pads or blankets, according to the complaint. Each person was strip-searched, including some as young as 17 years old. Some people with medical conditions were denied care, according to the suit.

“One person who experiences seizures informed a jail nurse of her condition but did not receive her anti-seizure medication until the third day of her detention,” the complaint reads. “A pregnant woman was denied prenatal pills and received no care when she vomited repeatedly in a holding cell garbage can.”

When people spoke up about their mistreatment, they were threatened with Tasers, or sent to “isolation cells” for roughly five to seven hours, according to the complaint. The isolation cells did not have beds or blankets.

“Some wrapped toilet paper around their arms, torsos, and feet because they were so cold,” the complaint alleges. “Others exercised to stay warm.”

Sheriff Millsap did not address these allegations.

Police recovered less than an ounce of marijuana from inside the home, according to the complaint. Outside, they found two plastic bags that allegedly contained cocaine and marijuana, according to police field reports. One person was charged with possession of those bags, but the charge was later dropped after a judge ruled the search was unconstitutional.

‘Scar on their records’
For Guider, the arrest and jail time ruined what was meant to be the start of an auspicious new year. A mother to a 1-year-old, she had struggled with postpartum depression and finding stable housing. But on the cusp of 2018, she felt hopeful. She had a new home and a new job at a Mexican restaurant.

“I was able to buy all my son’s Christmas [presents] and then some on my own for the first time,” said Guider.

She said she was not allowed to make any phone calls while incarcerated. According to the complaint, many of the arrestees were denied phone access.

“I didn’t get to speak to my mom at all when I was in jail,” said Guider. “I just was sending messages through my friends that were bonded out.”

On Jan. 2, 2018, Guider was released on a $1,000 bond. But her new job was already lost. She said her employer told her she was fired because, “Y’all on the news.” Two and a half months later, she found another job. While she was unemployed, she went to food pantries to feed her son, according to the complaint.

It’s a different type of hurt when you get arrested for something you didn’t do.Nija Guider, plaintiff

“Each of our clients has had their life turned into a nightmare in a lot of ways,” said Gerry Weber, one of the attorneys. “They’ve got this scar on their records that will never disappear.”

Several plaintiffs faced professional repercussions as a result of the wrongful arrest, according to the complaint. One person had to take a drug test when he returned to work to keep his job. A military recruit’s enlistment date was delayed. A high school senior who hoped to attend college on a basketball scholarship was no longer allowed to play on his school’s team.

Robert (not his real name) lost his new job at a window supply company. The position could pay up to $60,000 a year—about $40,000 more than his previous job. While incarcerated, he missed three days of work, according to the complaint.

After he was released, he said he was fired after his employer saw his mugshot.

“That could have been a really good opportunity to make a lot of money,” said Robert, now 23. “I have a son and a girlfriend that I’m trying to marry, so I was looking forward to advancing up in the company.”

It took him more than a month to find another job.

“I just had to start over,” said Robert, who is now a truck driver. “Find a new career.”

Guider hopes the case holds the city and county responsible for what she considered a devastating ordeal. “It’s a different type of hurt when you get arrested for something you didn’t do,” said Guider. “On top of that [you’re taking] losses because of something you didn’t do.”

I'm putting this one under Weird because...I mean, you just can't make stuff up that's this stupid:

"Whatever study drug is utilized in Phase III is the one that must go to market later, so NIDA cannabis is fundamentally inappropriate or not allowable for Phase III because it's never going to be allowed to go to market," Sisley told to Civilized. "It's only allowed for academic research, meaning it can never be made into a prescription medicine. That's the really clear reason why the NIDA monopoly needs to end."
I'm not sure Joseph Heller knew just how prophetic he was with Catch-22

How the government's single licensed cannabis supplier is sabotaging research

With marijuana illegal under federal law, the red tape and bureaucratic hurdles facing American scientists who aim to study cannabis render the task nearly impossible, writes Madison Margolin. Some, however, like Dr. Sue Sisley from Scottsdale, Arizona, have persevered nonetheless, coming as far as to — almost — reschedule cannabis flower as a prescription medication for patients with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). In partnership with the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), Sisley has secured the FDA's blessing to pursue clinical research on veteran PTSD patients, who smoke cannabis to mitigate their symptoms.

Sisley's pot-for-PTSD research is nothing new; her studies have been going on since 2015. Now she's gearing up for the third and final phase of her research, leading up to FDA approval of a "new drug" (and hence, cannabis rescheduling under the Controlled Substances Act). But, there's a catch: The drug (i.e. the cannabis) Sisley uses in Phase III must be the drug that goes to market, yet she cannot go to market with the cannabis that's available for Phase III because it's not just poor quality, but it's grown for research purposes only.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) is the sole entity licensed by the government to grow cannabis. A far cry from the crop of lush pot farms in places like California, NIDA's cannabis is grown at the University of Mississippi. At times, it's resembled green talcum powder rather than fresh bud, and all the samples have been contaminated with mold, Sisley says. Moreover, the cannabinoid percentages labeled by NIDA have been found inaccurate by third-party testers in Colorado.

Available in high-THC, high-CBD, and 1:1 varieties, NIDA's cannabis has little genetic diversity beyond those three given ratios — and anyone the least bit familiar with cannabis knows just how nuanced and complex the plant can be with regard to its hundreds of cannabinoids and terpenes (aromatic compounds).

Nonetheless, up until now, Sisley could deal. On a regular basis, study subjects — veterans with PTSD — have been given as much cannabis as they needed to smoke in order to feel better. Cannabis isn't a cure for PTSD, although it treats symptoms by suppressing dream and/or nightmare recall, and focusing patients on the present.

While earlier phases of FDA research are more about demonstrating drug safety, Phase III is about measuring efficacy — but Sisley worries that study "results are being sabotaged by low-quality plant material with no genetic diversity." Due to this defect in the study, it's likely Sisley may even need to repeat Phase II. Yet, that still doesn't solve the imminent conundrum facing Phase III.

Even if NIDA grew top-notch bud, it still couldn't be used for commercial purposes. "Whatever study drug is utilized in Phase III is the one that must go to market later, so NIDA cannabis is fundamentally inappropriate or not allowable for Phase III because it's never going to be allowed to go to market," Sisley told to Civilized. "It's only allowed for academic research, meaning it can never be made into a prescription medicine. That's the really clear reason why the NIDA monopoly needs to end."

In an email to Civilized, NIDA confirmed that its role is to produce marijuana for research, not for sales or commercial dissemination: "FDA typically requires Phase III studies to use the product that will actually be marketed, so large scale Phase III studies are usually done by the company that will be marketing the medication, but it is feasible that a commercial enterprise interested in applying for drug approval using government-provided marijuana could produce bioequivalent materials for the market."

According to Sisley, that means the research team would need another "bridging study" after Phase III to prove bioequivalence, which could cost another $30 million. But the question remains: why would the researchers even want a drug that's bioequivalent to anything NIDA's producing?

The NIDA monopoly has been in effect since 1968 — despite that in 2016, the DEA announced it would take applications from those seeking cannabis cultivation licensing. That all came to a screeching halt when ex-Attorney General Jeff Sessions took office.

"Everyone put in their applications, including us, but they took my application fee and never processed my application," said Sisley. "They refused to follow through on the commitment to the public that was made two and a half years ago and basically stole my $3400. Now our research is coming to a complete standstill."

FDA Phase III trials cost anywhere between $30 million and $100 million, depending on how many sites or subjects the study needs. "It takes us years and years to raise $30 million. We're not a Big Pharma company, we're a not-for-profit," Sisley said. "We're not going to spend $40 million to do this twice, to work with NIDA cannabis and then repeat it once the monopoly is done."

No no, instead, MAPS is planning to sue the Department of Justice (DOJ), and potentially the DEA, for "unlawful delay" in issuing licenses for federally approved cannabis cultivation. And MAPS isn't alone in condemning the DOJ for their inaction on licensing new growers: Within the past few weeks, the American Psychological Association (APA) has also called on the attorney general to act immediately in reviewing the more than two dozen grower applications that have been languishing for over two years.

"Without access to an expanded range of cannabis products engineered under FDA-approved Good Manufacturing Practices [GMP], scientific research cannot hope to keep pace with the ever expanding recreational and medicinal cannabis marketplace," APA CEO Dr. Arthur Evans wrote in a letter to Attorney General William Barr. "While NIDA provides a staple catalog of cannabis products and derivatives for research, it cannot keep pace (nor should it be expected to) with the range of products available to consumers in the 10 states that have approved recreational cannabis use or the 34 states distributing cannabis products through medical dispensaries.”

As the cannabis marketplace becomes increasingly sophisticated in legal states, the absurd irony of the conflict between state and federal law manifests in that scientists are left to grapple with a frustratingly limited supply of federally legal, research-approved cannabis — especially when 26 applications to expand that supply have simply been ignored.

"The core idea [of MAPS lawsuit against DOJ] is essentially that an administrative agency can't ignore Congressionally established timelines for its behavior," explained Ismail Ali, policy and advocacy counsel for MAPS. The Administrative Procedure Act binds federal agencies to do what Congress says they have to do, he adds, so if Congress says there's a timeline for something that has to happen and that's been violated or interrupted, then that institution is in violation of Congressional statute.

In this case, the DOJ's failure to allow the DEA to issue licenses after more than two years is in violation of their original 90-day grace period. Jeff Sessions, presumably, had been holding the process up — but now that he's out, there's still been no action. "We're asking for the DOJ to stop delaying the DEA's actions," Ali said. "It's an injunction to ask the court to demand that DEA issue licenses."

But the court likely won't hear the lawsuit until other remedies have been exhausted — so among other strategies, MAPS has asked sitting representatives, like Senator Orrin Hatch, to write letters of support for the idea of licensing growers.

"The conditions are ripe for ending the NIDA monopoly," Rick Doblin, executive director of MAPS, told Civilized. With about 64 percent of Americans in favor of legalizing marijuana, he says, there's little need to propagandize people and block science. "From a strategic point of view, I'm trying to establish the principle that Drug War politics should not impede research into the medical uses of Schedule I drugs," Doblin added.

In the meantime, before cannabis actually becomes prescription medicine, the study's Phase II results are still pending. From there, they'll publish those results in a scientific journal, explore foreign companies that could navigate the red tape around importing cannabis for Phase III, continue to prepare the lawsuit, wait for the DEA to issue licenses, and see how the role of the new Attorney General impacts the whole thing.

Sisley and her team are already in conversation with a few Canadian cannabis companies, which have already opened up a "drug master file" with the FDA. "So once they have both an approved scientific protocol for an FDA Phase II or Phase III trial, and they can prove that their cannabis flower meets GMP criteria, these Canadian LPs will legally be allowed to import flower into the US for these approved clinical trials," she said. "It's painful to me, I want to support our local farmers in the US, but our government is forcing us to go to foreign countries. We have all these talented farmers here in the US that could easily produce GMP-grade cannabis without any difficulty."

With the NIDA monopoly on the cannabis plant, specifically, rather than synthesized formulations of cannabinoids and terpenes, Doblin notes the importance of flower's inexpensive path to medicine. "It will become generic so that from a public good perspective, what we want to do is have a highly effective, low-cost medicine available to people, paid for by insurance," he said. "MAPS would like to build on the study we've done with Sue and eventually make marijuana flower in smoked or vaped form into an FDA-approved medicine for PTSD."

"A prosecutor who investigated Longenecker’s death concluded that troopers acted reasonably."
Well, of course they did...sigh.

Police sued over bulldozer death of pot suspect

Pennsylvania State Police acted recklessly when troopers used a bulldozer to pursue a Grateful Dead fan caught growing marijuana on public land, killing him when he wound up under the machine’s treads, according to a civil rights lawsuit filed Monday.

Greg Longenecker’s family said state police had no business chasing him with a dangerous piece of machinery — especially over a few pot plants the 51-year-old was cultivating for personal use. His death last July, in a rural area about 75 miles (121 kilometers) outside of Philadelphia, also provoked outrage from a marijuana advocacy group.

“They killed a beautiful human being, a caring, loving man,” Longenecker’s uncle, Mike Carpenter, who’s named as a plaintiff in the federal suit, said in an interview with The Associated Press. “He’ll never be able to share his life with us, or us with him, again. For no reason. He wasn’t hurting anyone.”

State police declined comment. A prosecutor who investigated Longenecker’s death concluded that troopers acted reasonably.

The chase developed as Longenecker — a short-order cook and avid vegetable gardener with a passion for the Dead — and his friend, David B. Light, tended 10 marijuana plants in a small clearing on state game lands near Reading, Pennsylvania. A Pennsylvania Game Commission worker, operating a bulldozer in the area, spotted their car parked in a field where vehicles weren’t allowed and called police.

Light surrendered, but Longenecker fled, disappearing into the thick vegetation.

State police began a lengthy search. A state police helicopter spotted Longenecker in the underbrush, and the game commission worker, with a trooper aboard, used the bulldozer to blaze a trail in pursuit. The bulldozer was traveling no more than 1 (1.6 kph) or 2 mph (3 kph), according to an official account.

How Longenecker got caught in the machine’s treads is hotly disputed. Authorities concluded he was high on methamphetamine, crawled under the back of the bulldozer in an attempt to elude capture, and was crushed to death when it made a left turn.

Longenecker’s friends and family call that explanation ludicrous.

“That morning, Gregory was not high or under the influence. He was normal,” Light wrote in an affidavit obtained by the AP. “There is no way Gregory crawled underneath the back of the bulldozer. It is unthinkable and ridiculous that anyone would say he crawled underneath.”

Light, 55, pleaded guilty to misdemeanor drug charges and was accepted into a program for first-time offenders. He declined comment to the AP.

Longenecker’s family questioned why state police didn’t simply get a warrant for Longenecker and arrest him later, given they knew his identity and that his crime was relatively minor.

An expert in police procedure agreed the state police overreacted.

“It’s outlandish. This is the craziest thing I’ve heard in years,” said Walter Signorelli, a lawyer and retired New York Police Department commander who has overseen investigations into police pursuits. “It seems like they were more concerned with the chase than the danger to themselves and the public and the guy they’re chasing.”

Berks County District Attorney John Adams — the prosecutor who determined that state police acted appropriately — pushed back against the criticism, saying Longenecker put himself in jeopardy by fleeing from the authorities.

“His behavior was despicable,” Adams said. “They yelled to him, they asked him to surrender. He did not surrender.”

Longenecker likely would have faced probation over his marijuana plants, Adams said.

He said Longenecker’s family would have been just as angry had troopers abandoned the search, and it turned out that Longenecker was injured and in need of medical attention.

“He’s in a pile of brush that is completely uninhabitable. Something could have happened to him. And if the state police would have picked up and left, then they would be pissed off: ‘Why didn’t the state police try to find him?’ So they were damned if they did or damned if they didn’t,” he said.

But at least one state police official has evidently acknowledged the situation could have been handled differently.

Carpenter, Longenecker’s uncle, said he met with Sgt. William Slaton from state police headquarters about a month after Longenecker’s death. He said Slaton apologized, telling him that “for 10 plants, he would’ve sent everybody home because they already knew who he was, where he lived, where he worked. He would’ve sent everybody home and maybe picked him up a couple days later.”

A state police spokesman would not confirm or deny Carpenter’s account.

The suit, which was filed in Philadelphia, seeks damages against state police, the game commission and the individuals involved in the pursuit. A game commission spokesman declined comment.

“State police ran Gregory Longenecker over with a government-operated bulldozer and essentially turned him into human roadkill,” said the family’s lawyer, Jordan Strokovsky. “There will be a thorough investigation and a lot of questions will be answered, and ultimately, those who need to be held accountable will be held accountable.”

And we now have this one....also during a drug bust

"A 19-year-old woman involved in a traffic stop committed suicide after shooting herself through the mouth while her hands were cuffed behind her back, Virginia police said."
Sure she did.....sigh

Woman shot herself in the head while cuffed with hands behind her back during traffic stop, police say

A 19-year-old woman involved in a traffic stop committed suicide after shooting herself through the mouth while her hands were cuffed behind her back, Virginia police said.

Sarah Wilson and her boyfriend were arrested during a stop in Chesapeake in July 2018 after cops allegedly found drugs in the 1996 Lexus the couple were driving. Police said they handcuffed Wilson and, while attempting to apprehend her boyfriend, 27-year-old Holden Medlin, he became combative and ran away from the scene.

Cops then reportedly left Wilson handcuffed with her hands behind her back as they ran to catch Medlin. While unattended, police say, she was able to grab a weapon out of the Lexus, "contorted" her body and shot herself through the mouth. An internal investigation was launched after her death, which has since been concluded, though police have declined to comment on its outcome.

A medical examiner confirmed on Thursday that Wilson died of a suicide -- but friends and family continue to doubt the official story.

“In all of her life I have never known of her to shoot a gun, own a gun, or even hold a gun,” Wilson's mother, Dawn, told ABC 13 last year. She told the station she spoke to witnesses who told her the police were responsible for her daughter's death.

“There is a few different stories, but they all end the same: that the police shot her,” she said. "Things are not matching up. Somewhere, somehow, there is a discrepancy."

Body cam footage that may have been able to answer any questions about the incident is unavailable. A police spokesperson said in August that a bodycam on one of the officers during the stop was knocked off the officer's uniform "during the struggle," WAVY reported.

Chesapeake Police have not yet responded to a request for a comment by Fox News.

Wilson's boyfriend, Medlin, was reportedly being monitored by police for some time before the arrest. When officers approached his car the day of the incident, he allegedly swallowed a "golf-ball sized-bag" of an unknown substance. Police then found 11 oxycodone pills, a syringe and other drug paraphernalia, a rifle and ammunition.

He was later charged with possession of oxycodone, possession of suboxone, possession of paraphernalia, possession of a firearm with a schedule I or II drug, fleeing from a law enforcement officer, and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

The charges were again certified by a grand jury in court on Tuesday.

This is such complete and utter BS. I am generally very supportive of law enforcement....without it we would have chaos and anarchy. But, while LEO's do deserve some leeway in doing their often thankless and dangerous job, they are NOT immune from prosecution when they trespassed on the law and IMO this case is a travesty of law enforcement. I wish the family luck in their suit, but really feel that the responsible cop needs to go to jail for manslaughter in this mess.

Family suing over Grateful Dead mega-fan and pot grower who was crushed to death by police driving a bulldozer

The family of Gregory Longenecker says the 51-year-old's civil rights were violated by authorities who crushed him to death with a bulldozer last year while trying to arrest him for growing fewer than a dozen marijuana plants, according to a federal lawsuit.

Longenecker, a short-order cook from Reading, Pa., had allegedly been secretly growing 10 pot plants deep in the woods of a game preserve in Berks County when a game commission employee discovered his car and called the police, the Washington Post reported. When they arrived, a friend who was accompanying Longenecker that day was arrested, but the life-long Grateful Dead fan fled into the heavy underbrush of the preserve.

An hours-long search ensued, with a helicopter tracking Longenecker's movements from above and two police departments combing the land, which was so thick with vegetation that a tracking dog could not even get through, according to the Post. The game commissioner who discovered Longenecker's plants had been driving a bulldozer, and one police officer, identified as Mark Weiss, reportedly got on the heavy machinery in an attempt to get through the landscape.

What happened next is hotly debated -- Pennsylvania State Trooper David Boehm first said Longenecker could not have died in a pursuit because there was no pursuit. Then, authorities concluded it was possible Longenecker had a heart attack while running from police. Next, Cops said they needed to use a bulldozer because "there's no way that you could walk through that stuff," the Washington Post reported.

One thing is certain: an autopsy revealed that Longenecker died of traumatic injuries, as "virtually all" of the bones and organs in his body from his pelvis to collar bone were "crushed, broken, and /or lacerated." An investigation by the Berks County District Attorney ruled his death as accidental.

AP19067044741618.jpg

In this Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019 photo, a decal calling for justice for Greg Longenecker is seen on the back window of his uncle Mike Carpenter's car, in Reading, Pa. A federal lawsuit filed Monday, March 18 accuses Pennsylvania State Police of gross recklessness for using a bulldozer to chase and inadvertently run over and kill Longenecker, who had fled after being caught growing marijuana on public land (AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)

NYPD DELETES 'COP KILLER' TWEET AFTER OFFICER IS REVEALED TO BE ALIVE

Longenecker's family argues in the lawsuit that police knew the approximate area where he was, because troopers allegedly shouted over a PA system in the helicopter, "I see you lying there! Get up!"

The bulldozer, "with similar force and characteristics of a military tank," allegedly continued to move towards Longenecker "knowing that he was lying in that area and also knowing they could not see in front of them," the lawsuit says.

Longenecker was known by family and friends as an avid vegetable gardener and loving father figure to the children of his girlfriend and "soulmate" of 25 years, according to the Post. They say they want police to be held accountable for their "reckless" decision to use a bulldozer while trying to find Longenecker.

AP19067044718501.jpg

In this Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019 photo, Mike Carpenter, uncle of Greg Longenecker, walks the field where Longenecker was killed by a bulldozer in 2018 (AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)

WRONGFUL CONVICTION IN MURDER CASE TO COST SAN FRANCISCO $13.1M

"They killed a beautiful human being, a caring, loving man," said Longenecker's uncle, Mike Carpenter, who's named as a plaintiff in the federal suit. "He'll never be able to share his life with us, or us with him, again. For no reason. He wasn't hurting anyone."

Medical use of marijuana was legalized in Pennsylvania 2016, and possession of small amounts of the drug is decriminalized in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. However, recreational use and growing the plant is still illegal in most of the state.

The local chapter of the National Organization for Reforming Marijuana Laws slammed the police department and called their actions that day excessive force in an extreme manner. They said they believe if Longenecker had been arrested, charged and convicted, his sentence would most likely have been probation.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

"No matter your opinion on marijuana legalization, the penalty for growing cannabis should never be an extrajudicial death sentence," NORML Executive Director Erik Altieri said in a statement.

Berks County District Attorney John T. Adams has spoken out in defense of the officers involved and said that Longenecker's family would have still been angry if he had only been injured and not killed, according to the Post. He added that the efforts of police were "reasonable and conducted in a safe manner."

weed-rabbi1.jpg

hahaha

U.S. cannabis producers can't claim your weed is organic, but they can have it certified kosher

Organic, schmanic. Out of necessity, U.S. licensed providers are eschewing the ultra-green certification for one with a religious twist.

In the U.S., food classifications such as “organic” are federally approved and controlled–and since cannabis is legal in many states, but remains federally prohibited, the designation cannot be assigned to cannabis or cannabis products, even if they technically otherwise pass muster.

Cannabis is currently classified as a Schedule I substance by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, so producers are thinking outside the box when it comes to accommodating the high consumer demand for additive-free, pesticide-free cannabis. Although more than one self-appointed independent certification has emerged from the situation–the most well-known being Clean Green Certified–a unified, federal regulator will not exist until the drug is removed from the list of controlled substances.

California cannabis producer Mitch Davis has developed another work-around. Instead of having his cannabis certified by a third party, which may or may not have recognition with consumers, Davis has his cannabis certified kosher.

Davis owns and operates Mission Kosher Cannabis Inc. in Central Valley. Mission Kosher products are kosher-certified with the help of Rabbi Levy Zirkind, who began creating the standards for kosher cannabis a few years ago. Zirkind is also the director of Fresno’s Chabad, a prominent Orthodox Jewish-Hasidic movement with a focus on outreach in the Jewish community.

While kosher and organic are entirely different designations–the focus on kosher is on the cleanliness of production methods–Davis believes that both imply a high standard with regards to the purity of the product.

“You don’t have to be organic to be kosher,” says Davis. “You have to not have bugs, not have pest infestation; you have to go through the inspection.”

The inspection process involves random reviews of facilities, checking plants and harvested flower for bugs, ensuring that grow spaces are kept spotless and making sure that growers are wearing the proper apparel in grow room environments.

“What’s great about being kosher is it puts an additional expectation on the employees,” says Davis. “They know we’re gonna get inspected. They know it’s random, so everybody really tries to stay on their toes.”

Batches deemed infested with insects or otherwise contaminated are trashed. “I’m not even allowed to sell it,” Davis says. “It gets destroyed.”

“We are trying to make sure that the plant is pure,” Zirkind says.

Now look at this guy.....would you buy a vape from him???

1000px_People-Charlie_Sheen.jpg

Charlie Sheen announces “Sheenius” new line of cannabis vapes

Charlie Sheen has announced plans to release his own official line of cannabis vapes, which he has named “Sheenius.”

The vape pens have names that range from the lighthearted “Milli’s Vanilli” and “MaliBlue Dream” to the eclectic “Grandma’s Perfume” and the Juggalo-evoking “Clown Mace.”

“Clown Mace is pretty good, because what clown shouldn’t be maced?’ he told the Daily Mail. “One of our favorites is Grandma’s Perfume.”

Sheen said that he decided to start the line after becoming fed up with seeing “bootleg” unauthorized cultivars and cannabis products bearing his name.

“They said, you know, we see your name so ingrained in the marijuana industry. And it’s all bootlegged essentially, I’ve never made a nickel off of it. That didn’t seem fair,” he said.

The timing for the release is a bit odd–if only because Sheen is over one year sober.

“I’m very excited about being sober these days. And going public with that, too. But then, oh, by the way, here’s a weed company,” he commented. “I haven’t smoked pot in like 10 years. It’s just not my thing.”

But Sheen says he still believes in the project, even if it no longer fits with his current lifestyle.

“A lot of people claim to be sober and still smoke pot and I’m not one of them,” he says. “We hatched this [business plan] out a couple of years ago when I was still getting pretty lit. And then, when I stopped getting lit, the idea was still good enough to keep pursuing.”

Sheenius is expected to launch April 2 in six flavours. Prices will range from USD$60 to $70.

He does not partake, so that would be a No from me too.:thumbsup:

I wish we had a category for Disgusting Marijuana News as I believe this article would fall into that class. sigh

I personally oppose all forms of Civil Asset Forfeiture and feel that it is completely in violation of our Constitutional protections....but one that our judiciary seem to be too timid to fix.

How a couple lost everything because of $50 worth of marijuana, a Lunesta pill, and an overzealous drug task force armed with the power to seize their assets

WOODLAND, Ala. (March 30, 2019) Teresa Almond is terrified. Though more than 13 months have passed since the day the Randolph County Drug Task Force upended her life with a flashbang grenade and a raid on her home, the 49-year-old grandmother still spends at least part of most days sitting beneath the shelter of a relative’s carport, clutching a firearm and waiting fearfully for the deputies to come back.

Across the street is the house where she and her husband Greg Almond raised their children, where they celebrated holidays and birthdays and weekends with grandchildren, from 1991 until January 31, 2018. That day, after a sheriff’s deputy said he smelled marijuana at the house, the drug task force broke down the Almonds’ door, detonated a flashbang grenade, forced the couple to the floor at gunpoint, and tore through the house.

The task force found about $50 worth of marijuana and a single pill of Lunesta, a prescription sleep aid, that was outside of the bottle bearing Greg’s name and showing it was his prescription.

On this pretext, task force members handcuffed the Almonds and booked them into the Randolph County jail. They were charged with possession of marijuana in the second degree, a misdemeanor, and with felony possession of a controlled substance because the Lunesta pill was not in its original packaging.

Greg’s family watched from their home across the street as officers remained at the house till past dark that night, carting out tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of belongings: Greg’s sizable gun collection, a chainsaw, a weed eater, antique guitars, a coin collection, Teresa’s wedding rings, and about $8,000 in cash the Almonds kept in safes in the back of the house. The doors were left unsecured; the Almonds’ dog escaped. Greg and Teresa, neither of whom had ever been arrested before, spent the night in jail.

Drug task forces undertake raids like this one with some frequency in Alabama. They are joint operations of county, municipal, state, and sometimes federal law enforcement agencies. They often work off tips from confidential informants and seek to surprise drug manufacturers and shut down illegal activity. Sometimes, they take property and assets as evidence.

They are also permitted to seize items under a process called civil asset forfeiture, which enables the state to take and keep cash, vehicles, valuables, and even real property if they are able to prove to the “reasonable satisfaction” of a judge that it is the fruit of, or was used to facilitate, illegal activity.

Civil asset forfeiture can be enormously profitable for the state. Historically, Alabama has not tracked or made public income from forfeitures, though this will change if prosecutors follow through on a recent promise to create a public database. But in 2018, the Alabama Appleseed Center for Law and Justice and the Southern Poverty Law Center examined about 70 percent of civil asset forfeiture cases filed in 2015, in a first-of-its-kind effort to quantify the results of this practice. The resulting report showed that Alabama raked in nearly $2.2 million in 827 disposed cases in 2015. That same year, courts awarded law enforcement agencies 406 weapons, 119 vehicles, 95 electronic items and 274 miscellaneous items, including gambling devices, digital scales, power tools, houses, and mobile homes.

Greg-Almond-inside-225x300.jpg

Greg Almond looks over the remains of his home after the raid.

In 18 percent of 2015 cases where criminal charges were filed, the charge was simple possession of marijuana and/or paraphernalia, crimes that by definition do not enrich the people who commit them. Possession of marijuana in the second degree was the only charge against the Almonds that stuck after a grand jury rejected the notion that possession of Lunesta for which Greg had a valid prescription constituted a felony.

The Almonds say their adult son, who was living with them at the time, told law enforcement that the marijuana was his and that his parents did not know it was in the house. But the prosecutor declined to drop the charges. The Almonds expect to go to trial in Randolph County Circuit Court soon.

In the meantime, they have filed a federal lawsuit alleging civil rights violations by the county, the county commission, and several sheriff’s deputies. Among other things, the suit alleges that the sheriff did not even follow proper procedure for undertaking a civil asset forfeiture. Under current law, the state must file a civil suit and make a showing that there is a meaningful connection between the assets seized and criminal activity, and a judge must agree that that is so. But according to the Almonds’ lawsuit, Randolph County law enforcement never filed such a suit. They simply kept the Almonds’ things, depositing the cash they’d taken into the general fund of the Randolph County Commission. The suit also alleges the task force failed to correctly log many of the items they took, including about half the cash, half the guns, and other items and valuables. The task force simply took them. And now the Almonds have nothing.

Todd Brown, an attorney representing the county, the county commission, and all but two of the individuals named as defendants, declined to comment, citing ongoing litigation.

From the Almonds’ perspective, the task force’s timing could not have been worse. At the time, the Almonds’ primary source of income was Almond Memorial Monument Company, a family-owned tombstone-engraving business that Greg inherited from his father and operated with their son. To save for retirement, the Almonds also operated chicken houses, feeding and sheltering birds until they were ready for slaughter and processing. Teresa sometimes cleaned houses to earn extra money as well.

In 2017, the poultry producer with whom the Almonds were contracting told them they could not house any more birds until they made some changes to their chicken houses. Money was tight that year, as Greg sought to earn extra from his monument business to re-invest in the chicken houses. The Almonds lived on land that had been in Greg’s family since 1901, but had mortgaged a portion of their property, including their house, to start up the chicken farm. They were due to sign paperwork restructuring their loans on Feb. 1, 2018, at 10 A.M.

They missed that deadline because they were in jail. The night the Almonds were locked up, Greg’s sister was 30 miles away staying with their mother, who had been hospitalized. She bonded Greg and Teresa out the next day, and they rushed to the bank. They got there too late, and once the deadline passed, the opportunity to restructure fell through. They lost their house, and much of Greg’s family land.

The raid and the loss of the $8,000 had an outsize effect on the Almonds’ financial circumstances. It interrupted the careful flow of resources that kept their small business afloat and undermined their options for renewed consideration for loan restructuring after they missed the bank deadline because they were in jail.

The raid had other repercussions. The Almonds’ arrest was big news in their rural community, where lawns are punctuated by “Back the Blue” signs indicating residents’ support for law enforcement. When the Almonds went to jail, rumors started that they operated a meth lab, that they were drug dealers or manufacturers or worse. Greg’s mugshot appeared on the sheriff’s Facebook page. People whispered, and business dwindled. Greg’s reputation as a businessman, carefully cultivated over decades and attested to in older posts on the Almond Monument Memorials Facebook page, evaporated.

Greg, who between the monument business and chicken houses used to work 16-hour days, found work as a handyman. His boss treats him well, but he is lucky if he brings home $95 a day. “If somebody came up to me right now and said, ‘Here, here’s $15,000, so you can start your business back up,’ I couldn’t because my shop is full of our furniture. That’s the only place I had to put it,” he said. “I’m in worse shape than when I was 17 years old because at that point, I didn’t have bad credit, I just didn’t really have no credit. Now with this, I have poor credit, and I might have a little more than I did when I was 17, but not much. And now at 50, I have bad knees, I can’t get out there and get it like I used to.”

Greg stayed in their house until the bank forced him out. Teresa came back once, saw the piles of toys and Christmas decorations and mason jars of home-canned vegetables the task force had strewn around her home, and never returned. Since May 2018, the closest thing the Almonds have had to a home is a storage shed the size of a vacation camper-trailer that they previously used to store catfish feed and fishing rods.

Almond-toys-300x225.jpg

Christmas gifts and toys left behind after the task force raid

Greg insulated the shed, but the Almonds have no running water or indoor plumbing. They cook over an open fire outside their front door and keep food cool in a portable cooler. A small solar panel provides enough electricity to power their television and a floor lamp at night, but they do not have enough power to run an air conditioner. For Christmas, Greg’s boss gave them a wood-burning stove to supplement the propane heater they had been using. Some mornings, Greg wakes up to indoor temperatures in the low 50s.

Teresa, who is restless and fearful and speaks so quietly it’s hard to hear her at times, rarely stays in the shed. “I’m not right. I have not been right since the day it happened,” she said.

“That was my home. I raised all my babies in there. And my grandbabies. If my grandbabies would have been there that day, they would have hurt my grandbabies,” she continued. “I have nowhere to bring my babies to spend time with them. Cause this is not a atmosphere that I want my grandbabies in, and them remembering that we lived in a shack because of cops.”

If a cop comes to my door, and I got my things out, he / she can just keep knocking, because, I am not answering the door. But, I am like that.
First rule of thumb is don't let them in the house. Next is shut the fuck up.

Unfortunately these guys didn't have that option. They came in with a flash bang grenade. I can't even imagine how terrifying it was. And demoralizing.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back