Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips What Do You Look For When Buying a New Vaporizer

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
Do you always like to get the newest greatest units out there? Is money not a consideration?

When looking for a new vaporizer sometimes I get enfolded in the hype like everyone else. Looking for that new vaporizer that's coming out. What are your main goals in finding a vaporizer that fits your needs.

I won't spend over $500.

Is it something that will last a long time? Often we don't have the answers for that one, if it's new to the marketplace.

Excellent flavor, that can be subjective. What one person likes another person might not like the flavor.
These are some of the questions I like to have before purchasing a new vaporizer.

How fragile is it

What kind of air path

What it looks like - how big is it, I like small

How hard it hits

How big is the oven, is it a weed hog

Are others happy and satisfied with the unit that you want to buy

What kind of warranty does the vaporizer have? Anything less that 2 years I'm usually out

What's it made out of

Are there a lot of little parts

Do you have to keep buying accessories, that can be a good or bad thing

Who makes it - some companies I won't buy from

This kinda merges with the vaporizer profiles. I thought this went there at first then I changed my mind. When a new vaporizer comes out I often will wait to get the answers to some of my questions from trusted members.

Last edited:
Do you always like to get the newest greatest units out there? Is money not a consideration?

When looking for a new vaporizer sometimes I get enfolded in the hype like everyone else. Looking for that new vaporizer that's coming out. What are your main goals in finding a vaporizer that fits your needs.

I won't spend over $500.

Is it something that will last a long time? Often we don't have the answers for that one, if it's new to the marketplace.

Excellent flavor, that can be subjective. What one person likes another person might not like the flavor.
These are some of the questions I like to have before purchasing a new vaporizer.

How fragile is it

What kind of air path

What it looks like - how big is it, I like small

How hard it hits

How big is the oven, is it a weed hog

Are others happy and satisfied with the unit that you want to buy

What kind of warranty does the vaporizer have? Anything less that 2 years I'm usually out

What's it made out of

Who makes it - some companies I won't buy from

This kinda merges with the vaporizer profiles. I thought this went there at first then I changed my mind. When a new vaporizer comes out I often will wait to get the answers to some of my questions from trusted members.
Great topic, @CarolKing!

But a tough question to answer. I have certainly bought stuff chasing the "latest and greatest" and I think for many of us its a bit of a hobby as well as a method to ingest meds.

I'm sort of out of that mode lately and if a vape doesn't offer me something new that I really need and don't currently have, then I'm not as quick to pull the trigger as I once was.

I mainly want great extraction with reasonably small loads, done easily (not a lot of body English or technique needed), made out of good quality material that is efficient and reliable.

Now, add to that good taste, easy to maintain and clean, and quick warm up time and that pretty much covers it. Stealth is not a big one with me but I understand how it can be for others

Right now there is not a lot on my radar.

I'm interested in the Haze Square as I would like another portable that heats quickly and I find that the feature of allowing the owner to access and change out the heater element to be very desirable. Its one area I question on the GH....just how long will it last without being able to get under the oven screen and clean out the heater element area.

The only other thing really interesting me at the moment is a Sublimator/Herborizer/NV Flower Pot type vape but that's mostly hobby rather than an unfulfilled vaporizer need. Same with Sticky Bricks.....may well buy one, but mostly just because the device interests me.

I guess lastly, I'm kind of demanding in my expectations for manufacturer CS. I tend not to give them companies too much leeway on good CS just because they are in the MJ business. Happily, many of the companies whose products I bought have good CS (S&B, Epic, VXH for example).

I also go by ease of use. If I can't master something in a few days I'm out. I'm still leary of butane. I bought the VapCap M and used the butane with it 5 or 6 times and didn't like hitting with the butane. Too much fiddling around. I love the M as my mouthpiece with my Woodscents.

I really am trying to like the butane. Everyone is so excited about the VC. I will give it another go in a few days. I don't like a lot of small parts to lose. I should have bought an extra cap because I will end up losing it.

I do like this topic! My number one priority when it comes to purchasing a vaporizer first and foremost is efficiency. If vapors leaking everywhere and I am wasting a lot of green while using the vaporizer I am not going to be using it on a daily basis.

After this comes taste, which is a close second. The most important part about taste to me though is the taste retention, meaning how the bowl will taste at the end of its span instead of how it tastes at the start of the bowl. A great example of this vaporizer would be the minivap, the thing tastes almost as good when you get to the end of the bowl as it does when you take the first hit. A bad example of this would be the Mighty. The first few hits taste amazing and out of this world but by the end of the bowl you just want to dump it out because it tastes so bad.

After that is deciding if I want what I like to call a "passive" or "aggressive" vape. By passive I mean a unit that you can just sit on the couch with or sit back and read a book and just casually sip on while doing your other activities. By aggressive I am talking about a vaporizer that is very hard hitting and can get you where you want to go quick and fast, but isn't suited for sitting back and relaxing. It's more of a stand up, take a few real nice hits and you're feeling good in no time kind of unit.

After that I usually just grade things on aesthetics, ergonomics, battery life, and other things that aren't really too important but make nice little extras to what I'm looking for.

I like something to use as a sipper during the day and a hard hitter at night. I don't want to get so medicated during the day that I can't function. I need to get things done I save the couch lock for later towards evening. So sometimes it requires different vaporizers or sometimes you can do that all with one vaporizer.

For the last couple of years I'd say I was looking for the following:
  • Easy to use
  • Produces clouds
  • Delivers results in one or two hits
  • Functional
  • Portable
  • Efficient
  • Easy to clean
  • Durable
  • User replaceable fuel supply
  • Affordable
I feel like I've got the above covered with the GrassHopper / VapCap combo.

So I should stop right? I mean I got what I need so there is no need to keep looking right?

Well....now that I have devices that cover my needs I find myself looking for something else, something:
  • Custom, I'm involved in someway with the design or finish
  • Made predominantly out of wood
  • Personal, I'll likely be the only one with a device exactly like this
  • Powerful, does not need to be based on battery tech
  • Easy to use
  • Produces clouds
  • Delivers results in one or two hits
  • Functional
  • Efficient
  • Easy to clean
  • Durable
Guess my needs have changed, I no longer require stealth as I no longer share my living space.

I have a better job now than when I was younger so I can afford to spend a little more.

I've got devices that cover my basic needs so the thing that tempts me now is a device I have some emotional tie to.

I have better vape experience than when I first started, I now know what's out there (mostly thanks to you guys), what's possible and what deliveres results.

I'm now looking for a custom log vape, maybe two :cheeseburger:

I also go by ease of use. If I can't master something in a few days I'm out. I'm still leary of butane. I bought the VapCap M and used the butane with it 5 or 6 times and didn't like hitting with the butane. Too much fiddling around. I love the M as my mouthpiece with my Woodscents.

I really am trying to like the butane. Everyone is so excited about the VC. I will give it another go in a few days. I don't like a lot of small parts to lose. I should have bought an extra cap because I will end up losing it.
Hi Carol - although it may appear so as it seemingly was offered up in response to almost any inquiry for a vape, the VC is not the universal answer for everybody and everything.

Try it a bit more, as you plan, and if its not for you then its not.

Cheers

No wood in the air/vapor path at all. No ifs, no buts. Decorative wood external to the air/vapor flow can look nice, but honestly, I don't care much for it. I prefer inert surfaces that I can clean like brand new.

Minimal/safe use of polymers, including all plastics, silicone etc. No plastic/silicone = even better.

No protruding glass/fragile components (if a portable).

No butane in the airflow.

I'm sure there's more, but this is the important stuff to begin with.

I'm all about materials safety and cleanability. Flavor and clouds are important, but I don't care if it isn't sublimator/grasshopper level whitewall - I don't wanna suck on vapes with that much draw resistance actually.

Luckily for me I have never purchased a "bad" vape but I am not interested in fancy electronics or hyper adjustable temperature control these days. I have different considerations as I live in a remote country & shipping can be very expensive especially if it is a warranty issue.

Most important attributes to me are
  • Reliability. It has to work well & have a solid lifespan. RMA's are expensive from Oz.
  • Durability. Buying replacement glass parts gets expensive & if you can't get them locally freight is another killer.
  • Consistency. Delivers repeatable results time & time again.
  • Ease of cleaning.
Outside that I really want to keep it simple & bulletproof. I spent as much if not more on replacement glass & tubing for my EQ as I did on the actual unit. By comparison outside breaking one GonG & I already had a spare because of freight I have not had to make a single replacement order from Underdog in well over a year. I ordered a few packs of spare screens with the unit & have quite a few left.

Nowdays I am using my custom Wood Scent & really enjoying what it offers. I have modified the stems with VapCap condensers so it has a easily cleanable airpath & have been using my long stem with a VapCap on it. As it is 12v I can replace the power supply at will & have two backups to go with my lab power supply. Add in Ti & S/S screens & 5 or 6 packs of O rings & a few X ring packs for the condenser

My last few vapes have had some additional criteria added
  • Ethics. Super important to me. Some vape makers have the morals of an alley cat. Don't matter how good your product is if you are unethical you won't see a cent of my money.
  • Custom. I want a one off that no one else has.
  • Classy. It must look elegant & a cut above the average.
  • Wood. Gotta have custom & classy wood.
My daily driver is the WS & is ably supported by various VapCaps

lnUvbKph.jpg

I think the real question for me is what could I find that will beat out my combo for my needs? I feel like buying a Sticky Brick some day but I already have what I need. I could maybe upgrade the Air but I very rarely use it anyway.

There’s always the question of “conduction” or “convection” ? I always had a hard time understanding that concept. Hopefully I’m not admitting to being too dense. :thinker:I try to think about what someone explained to me a while back.

Think of it is your herb baked in an oven or fried in a pan. Is this right, conduction is fried in the pan and convection is baked in the oven? Now did I remember that right? Don’t want to pass on bad info. When I try out a vaporizer I know what I like and don’t like but we can’t usually try them out right?

That is something to take into consideration when choosing your next vaporizer. Do you like convection or conduction? Personal preference is the key. You don’t always like what thie next guy likes.:twocents:

Last edited:
i do not know what i would want besides my solo2 (daily driver).
it was economical to purchase.
it is economical to use.
my use of flower (actual quantity used daily) dropped dramatically after i purchased it.
i think it cooks the flower just fine, tastes good.
i love my plenty but my solo2 is so much easier to set up and use, the plenty is now sitting on the shelf.
like carol, i am not looking to complicate things for the sake of newness.
my solo2 gets me more medicated faster than any other vape i have tried (yet)

good thread

Aren’t we (a lot of us) always on the lookout for a pinnacle herb delivery system? The WoodScents had come about in an attempt to save tips and stems from the waste can. The Apollo was not doin it! (never to butane). WS is now my savior, but still wanting that evening super knockout punch.

While subjected as an only user, I was hearing that I probably should opt out of the Volcano and get the Old Head Hot Rod package. The HotRod video appeared rather accurate holding oven temps and then displaying a self controlled wp convection pull. I see that the HR could preform similar to the Volcano using a controlled pull (gas) technique. With this on hand, what is the user experience, advise and preferences between the two?

Leaning towards HOT ROD, what you say?

Thanks for feedback

Aren’t we (a lot of us) always on the lookout for a pinnacle herb delivery system? The WoodScents had come about in an attempt to save tips and stems from the waste can. The Apollo was not doin it! (never to butane). WS is now my savior, but still wanting that evening super knockout punch.

While subjected as an only user, I was hearing that I probably should opt out of the Volcano and get the Old Head Hot Rod package. The HotRod video appeared rather accurate holding oven temps and then displaying a self controlled wp convection pull. I see that the HR could preform similar to the Volcano using a controlled pull (gas) technique. With this on hand, what is the user experience, advise and preferences between the two?

Leaning towards HOT ROD, what you say?

Thanks for feedback

Here's the IG page for those of you who are not familiar...

And the website:

Looks like an interesting vape... but from what I can see, it's not available yet.

Thank you for feedback. SPV is claiming to have HR availability after Nov 15. I may go this route. It looks to be a cost effective version of the flower pot. Will continue to weigh it for a short time. I will check out the terp torch soldering iron. Less than 200 sounds attractive.

re: Answer/threads opening statement: 1st, it was how close to the combustion feel I could find, (still looking). 2nd, recommendations. 3rd, micro-dosing when applicable or not. Goal is to balance enough of that sunshine to alleviate symptoms.

And hear is Collyland VB’s. Another ass-kicking product to consider as the rabbits keep coming!

thx,

Ps: edstnt MAW get yourself a block of tickets month!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back