Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips What filter do you use to strain your infused extractions

Tincandtoke

Hi Newbie here
I do cold ethanol extractions and was about to try some vape flower
What do you extract from the vape and what do folks use to filter

IMG_20201123_142137.jpg
IMG_20201012_140711.jpg

I actually cover the whole thing in a 190 micron bag from magical butter machine I used up to a year ago, then ethanol extraction
IMG_20201110_220337.jpg

What do you extract from the vape
I'm not quite sure what you are asking here....

what do folks use to filter
I found trying to clean the filter that comes with the Magical Butter machine a real pita.

What I use depends on whether or not I'm doing an alcohol, butter, or oil extractions and what the final product is going to be used for. For instance, if I am making an infused oil for topical use, I want to make sure to get as much of the sediment or herb particles out of it so that it doesn't cause irritation. I will filter 2 - 3 times; starting with a fine mesh strainer and working my way up to something more dense like cheesecloth. For edibles, you don't have to be as precise.

I've used anything from a fine mesh jam strainer like this:

Amazon product

to using layers of lint free, unbleached, ultra fine mesh cheesecloth with a potato ricer.

Amazon product

Amazon product

@Tincandtoke - unbleached paper coffee filters will work.

@momofthegoons - I think, from looking at his pics, he is talking extracting tincture from AVB.

I also have one of these nut milk filter bags that I have never used...as I kind of gave up making edibles and tincture at home. But, I think it would work well.

Amazon product

Thanks mom, do I dare ask how many times you get that one?
Here are some random pics of a cold ethanol extracted tincture being filtered
Curious about what I have, some folks have reported there is some potency in the vaped flower
May try a reduction or even further filter using celite 545 and some activated charcoal/carbon to reduce the color and taste
Read a lot of opinions, no facts, figured this is the site to get an informed opinion
Just want to thank the board for the info
IMG_20201202_223504.jpg
IMG_20201202_225455.jpg
IMG_20201202_220639.jpg
IMG_20201201_221017.jpg

Water curing your AVB before extraction will get rid of a lot of that color and taste.

google it, it’s easy and there is info and vids on it.

Thanks for the tip and it was my first note from a vaped flower thread, but I actually want the color and taste to practice filtering with celite and carbon
The problem with this filtering method is possible cannabinoid loss, as much as 15-20%
Doing this to create a tincture that I can reduce into simple syrup with as little cannabis taste as possible
Love the taste when I used to combust, in edibles it makes me wretch forcing them down
Hoping there was something in the vape so I could practice the filtering and if I'm careful may get something on the sleepy side for my spine

Thanks for the tip and it was my first note from a vaped flower thread, but I actually want the color and taste to practice filtering with celite and carbon
The problem with this filtering method is possible cannabinoid loss, as much as 15-20%
Doing this to create a tincture that I can reduce into simple syrup with as little cannabis taste as possible
Love the taste when I used to combust, in edibles it makes me wretch forcing them down
Hoping there was something in the vape so I could practice the filtering and if I'm careful may get something on the sleepy side for my spine
You might want to water cure your ABV if you want to lessen the flavor. Just use filtered lukewarm water to prevent tricome loss. The amount left depends a great deal on the temp you vape at. More potency if you are a low temp vapor. I've found it worthwhile at times to use ABV, and it was fun to learn how. :weed:

Oh, I've used coffee filters, cheese cloth, nut milk bags for straining.

You might want to water cure your ABV if you want to lessen the flavor. Just use filtered lukewarm water to prevent tricome loss. The amount left depends a great deal on the temp you vape at. More potency if you are a low temp vapor. I've found it worthwhile at times to use ABV, and it was fun to learn how. :weed:

Oh, I've used coffee filters, cheese cloth, nut milk bags for straining.
I may do the cheese cloth method from the thread mom left the link to
Thanks for the lukewarm water tip, did not realize water temp mattered, so much to learn
My ignorance about vaping was eye opening, I have a volcano (old school dial temp) and a mighty from Storz and Bickel
IMG_20201204_062230.jpg

Until I came to this site a few days ago I was vaping about as "wrong" as you can vape
Did not do proper research, understanding that the act of vaping is a process
I just turned it to inferno and got blasted to put it bluntly, did not know about temp variation making a huge difference
Like driving a car without knowing how to shift

I may do the cheese cloth method from the thread mom left the link to
Thanks for the lukewarm water tip, did not realize water temp mattered, so much to learn
My ignorance about vaping was eye opening, I have a volcano (old school dial temp) and a mighty from Storz and Bickel
View attachment 22476

Until I came to this site a few days ago I was vaping about as "wrong" as you can vape
Did not do proper research, understanding that the act of vaping is a process
I just turned it to inferno and got blasted to put it bluntly, did not know about temp variation making a huge difference
Like driving a car without knowing how to shift.
I'm very happy that you found the Ayslum. I've met the kindest, most generous people on this site. We all want you to love vaping as much as we do.

Tried my first water cure vape tonight
Still had the volcano turned up a bit but the difference in the smoothness and I'm hoping it will carry through the rest of the bags.
Despite smoking/vaping for 2 decades still a bit of a lightweight, one bag= pain free manual labor, 2 bags=movie night, 3 bags=green out
Next step is searching the threads for temperature control vaping, never gave thought to terpene retention and low temp vaping
Just a heads up, I'm locked in mortal combat with autocorrect and losing badly so forgive me for the gibberish at times
Silver lining, blaming autocorrect covers up a lot of stoner posting

Vape only concentrate, so little experience with ABV. But make concentrate from flower by QWET extraction, which requires filtration and generates its own 2nd rate product.

You appear to be finishing your filtration with vacuum assist, which is highly recommended. (What is that little pump pictured? Use faucet aspiration as an alternative.) With QWET, use pre-filter setup below, on right: Chemex coffee flask, stainless steel coffee filter and conical strainer. The filtrate then goes into the Buchner funnel as you have pictured. This is sufficient as a pre-filtration step and avoids losses and mess with cheesecloth, paper filters, bags, etc.

freezer.jpg

For further cleanup, don't overlook winterization. This will pull out some undesirables, but it needs to be very cold to be effective - dry ice is preferable.

The ultimate cleanup is extraction with a non-polar solvent, like hexane. Great old reference on the subject: Polishing Extracts. Safety is an issue, but you appear to have some lab experience.

I do winterize but in a home fridge
Have access to dry ice so that may be what I settle on using

Have a stainless steel coffee filter and ceramic dripper that is used for initial filtering, its an odd combination of mesh strainer over a 190 micron bag covering the ceramic dripper lined with the stainless steel coffee filter and a wet paper filter, a lot smaller than your set up
Working from a home kitchen which is why I chose the joanlab pump set up, perfect for small batch processing while I experiment infusing simple syrup
After I finish the chemistry and organic chemistry courses I will attempt to track down a 2L rotovap, I forgot so much since last attending a class
Bought a lab distillation set up, cracked glass and missing pieces made me send it back

I started looking at PES filtering, this will take a little time for me to understand so I may gift myself and order some to play with while doing my homework
Drawback is they are plastic but I think the etoh extraction will flow freely through the filtration system, when I have mixed my tincture reduction and plastic bad things happened

All this started with someone asking if you can infuse simple syrup with tincture (oil and water)

Hexane seems to be the solvent of choice for large processing, trying to keep this for the small diy first and then expand a tiny bit

Want to start a grow asap

My preference is edibles
Working with psychedelic Sam on an infused simple syrup with little to no cannabis taste made with cold ethanol extraction
Taking a little break from chemistry and filtering to make some infused hot chocolate bombs, infused chocolate syrup and mini marshmallows encased in a hard chocolate shell just add warm milk, let it dissolve and mix, silly fun

IMG_20201216_185424.jpg
vape tincture in different stages of filtration
IMG_20201216_212613.jpg
I took a little of tincture and reduced it into some vegetable glycerine, starting to see some oil puddles formng
IMG_20201216_213452.jpg
Ill bind it with a little 210S (xanthan gum and gum acacia)
IMG_20201216_215855.jpg
I have removed enough of the bitter taste that it could be consumed orally but still tastes a little nasty
Some lemon syrup maybe?
I vaped the flower used in the tincture on a volcano, between 7-8, before running it through a cold ethanol extraction
Is there anything in this?

Last edited:
I second Moms advice, dab it and see. :thumbsup:

have to take a T break as I prep some tincture for a video shoot
have to be completely sober or its a half hour of me going uh, uh, uh,....what's the next step?
Doesn't inspire confidence in an instructional video to be the one asking questions
Ill try it first thing after that, thought about using it after the storm clean up but a recent medical issue dropped my tolerance to the point 50 mg greens me out for the day
Basically if its "sleepy" ill be in a coma
Dozed off watching Solo with 3d glasses on recently due to low tolerance, lost my sandwich to the cats! F**king opportunists!
figured I ask people if they had any experiences with avb, or abv, or bav- segway to Billy Joel song
At cruising altitude on a scoop of infused raspberry sorbet
Sheffield looked good for the first 10 minutes, Rashford and MU just too much
Liverpool! Liverrrrpoooool! Back at the top:headbang:
Patriots, not so much

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back