Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Glass Where Do You Buy Your Glass

This has become my opinion as well. It's shocking to see how many companies have tried to pass of Chinese glass as American made. And if you are buying Chinese glass anyway, you might as well go direct.
Or some sort of mix of the two. So how much of that glass piece was made in the US?

I buy my glass from anyone that sells it with beer incused within its inner domicile only accessible via a sealed metal lid that requires much strength and/or a special tool to access said sacred beverage.
Not an endorsement. BTW :nut:Even though using upper body strength is required for the 'knockout' ritual.

I do look at functional lab glass as an option. And there is rubber stoppers with holes for other options. There are so many standard pieces out there in both markets that you can decide if paying 200$ more is worth having more slits in a perc as one example. There is ways that American made glass could edge out the competition with refinements in function that is allowed in the benefits of manufacturing locally on a larger scale as well. Not just in trying to patent a design and protecting it. :twocents:

Peace all!

Anybody know anything about these folks? Cause there's a piece (I'll link to that) that I am thinking of whining to the wife for...

Good vaping!

https://www.smokecartel.com/products/mad-professor-inline-to-sprinkler-recycler-rig
I would try to find out the width of the glass being offered. Some of the 'mid-tier' shops sell pieces that are cheaper due to materials. Maybe get a sense of where they get their pieces. IF not from the china market.

Last edited:
I finally got up to my cottage so I could get my FC-187 for comparison. Here is the piece I got from Amazon. It came way before the projected arrival date; just a day or two after the other piece I bought that day.

agAlUkV.jpg

It's a bit smaller than the FC-187 and a bit more 'refined' in it's lines. The piece from Amazon is 8" in height and the DHGate piece is 9". Here's a side by side:

5IBXLFC.jpg

While the inner and outer diameter of the mouthpieces were the same, the one from Amazon seems more slender and has a bit more edge to it. The can of the Amazon piece is 2 1/4" in diameter; the DHGate piece is 2 1/2". The base of the Amazon piece is 4"; the DHGate piece is 4 1/2".

4ZoArcb.jpg

I feel the perc on the Amazon piece (on the right) is a little more substantial and fires better.

KmfrMCc.jpg

The Amazon piece was $31.98 and the DHGate piece is $36.33. Both have free shipping. My experience with Amazon was much smoother and easier than any I've had with DHGate. And it was packed bomb proof; bubbled wrapped in a box that was within a styrofoam box. I give this one a :thumbsup:
My last 9 or 10 water pipes were from amazon
Nice sandblast!

I would try to find out the width of the glass being offered. Some of the 'mid-tier' shops sell pieces that are cheaper due to materials. Maybe get a sense of where they get their pieces. IF not from the china market.

It is not so much the thickness of the glass that matters it is how consistent the glass is as where glass is thinner or has poor quality welds is where it will break. I have looked at some glass & it has broken, yet I have had significant incidents with higher end glass & had no issue. If you bang a piece & it rings like a bell then it is well made. I am no scientist but a impact will resonate up & down the glass finding any weakness & that is where the breaky breaky bit happens.

If you bang a piece & it rings like a bell then it is well made.
There is some truth to that. It is only as good as it's weakest point.

There is some shops that do sell pieces that the walls are as thin as say tomato sauce jars, and I can predict where the stress points will cause breakage. They might not pass your ring test FTM.

Adapters, I really scrutinize where the thin points are. I've had 90 adapters break in unusual ways or others give up under heat and weight stress.

My Buckner flask is a thick piece of lab glass that has survived 4 foot drops and spin roll on the floor while the EVO goes tumbling off in the other direction. :yikes: I'm thinking about getting a smaller one for my shorter percs. Can choose what volume size I want. Right? :biggrin:

There is some shops that do sell pieces that the walls are as thin as say tomato sauce jars, and I can predict where the stress points will cause breakage. They might not pass your ring test FTM.

No doubt many would not. It is moreso pointing out you can buy a 9mm thick beaker but if it has inconsistent thickness that is where it will fracture under stress. Much like making love, size & thickness matter to a degree but it is consistency that will bring the best results :wink:

My Buckner flask is a thick piece of lab glass that has survived 4 foot drops and spin roll on the floor while the EVO goes tumbling off in the other direction. :yikes: I'm thinking about getting a smaller one for my shorter percs. Can choose what volume size I want. Right? :biggrin:

Lab glass is made to specific tolerances so you should expect a beaker to be quite robust. The shape certainly helps but having those walls super consistent is what makes them tougher than they look. A prime example of something that will resonate & ring like a bell :lol:

I have somehow misplaced my bubbler. It is/was an M&M Tech bubbler. I liked the way it performed, the size, and liked the mouthpiece. I got it from SmokinJs, and they were excellent.

http://smokinjs.com/1'-Tall-Hand-Blown-Glass-Shower-Head-Glass-on-Glass-Bubbler-MMBB10/

large-MMBB10.jpg

I'm wondering if there are other bubblers I should consider. I have no problem reordering this one from SmokinJ but wanted to see what suggestions my fellow inmates had.

As I said, I like the mouthpiece, I prefer bigger rather than smaller, and if it's easy to disassemble for cleaning that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

I have somehow misplaced my bubbler. It is/was an M&M Tech bubbler. I liked the way it performed, the size, and liked the mouthpiece. I got it from SmokinJs, and they were excellent.

http://smokinjs.com/1'-Tall-Hand-Blown-Glass-Shower-Head-Glass-on-Glass-Bubbler-MMBB10/

View attachment 2989

I'm wondering if there are other bubblers I should consider. I have no problem reordering this one from SmokinJ but wanted to see what suggestions my fellow inmates had.

As I said, I like the mouthpiece, I prefer bigger rather than smaller, and if it's easy to disassemble for cleaning that would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance!
VERY NICE piece!

My problem is I break SHIT (GLASS)!
That's why I don't get emotional about it?
20-WP's or so? (still break shit)!

View attachment 2989

Thanks in advance!
Wow, I like that piece also. I have some American glass (Custom Creations) that's reasonably priced production glass, a couple of expensive pieces that I bought in a bout of GAS, but also I'm a DHGate guy. Haven't bought anything for a while....seem pretty set....I did get a Calyx from VXH and like it a lot.

Cheers

I was tooling around DHGate the other day and fell upon this little recycler from Stevenlmz79. It caught my eye and the reviews were excellent so I caved.

I'm not impressed. Lots of 'glug' and very little recycling action. But it is a sturdy little piece. I figure it's good for what I intended it for though; taking it up to the cottage. We have super hard water up there and I don't want to take a good piece up. I'd rather just not have to worry too much about the piece. I'll also say that the picture they use to advertise the piece is misleading as well. You do not get the accessory with it.

IMG_4231.jpg

View attachment 2989

Thanks in advance!
I likke it!

I actually purchased two of those. One is still around and was the first piece that mvapes scratched for me.

photo%202_zpsorjaczfg.jpg

I found another of these on Amazon and thought I might give it a spin. The one above is currently my cottage glass and I'd like to get another done up as a spare. I really like this style and it's my favorite of all the DHGate glass I've purchased.

I didn't have much luck with Kathy057 there. Every piece I got had a wonky perk.
@momofthegoons does @mvapes still sand blast?
I want to send something to him?
BENDER from a cartoon I like!

Peace all!

Anybody know anything about these folks? Cause there's a piece (I'll link to that) that I am thinking of whining to the wife for...

Good vaping!

https://www.smokecartel.com/products/mad-professor-inline-to-sprinkler-recycler-rig
I’ve ordered some things from them that I really like and the prices, service,and shipping were excellent.
I don’t think ANY of the pieces are Chinese, given the QC and uniformity and lack of flaws.
I’m expecting to pick up a nectar collector from them soon, at the whopping price of $30.
Color me satisfied.

I’ve also just made a second purchase from Thick-Ass Glass. I was disappointed in the first piece I got from them, but that was my fault, not really knowing what I wanted; however, I’m expecting delivery tomorrow on my first dab rig, banger, and cap, ordered from them on Friday, and I’m excited.

It’s this one: https://www.thickassglass.com/collections/oil-rigs/products/10-hammer-head-perc-side-car

Also done business w/ Brothers With Glass, very satisfactory, but again, the piece taught me that i DO NOT WANT a straight-pipe unit of any description, especially not one as impossible as the piece I onrderd from than (in my defense, it was the first glass I bought: the internals are infernally difficult to wash successfully (no success so far), I truly dislike the straight-line design now that I’ve used it a bunch (missed the bong crazy completely, I did), and I find the 18mm joint requires bigger, better, newer lungs than I have....

I find the 18mm joint requires bigger, better, newer lungs than I have....
I find the opposite, my 14mm rig is the hardest one to pull on that I own, 14mm= restrictive, 18mm =easier open flow, just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

I’ve ordered some things from them that I really like and the prices, service,and shipping were excellent.
I don’t think ANY of the pieces are Chinese, given the QC and uniformity and lack of flaws.

What SC, TAG & many others get is what is considered first run product direct from the Chinese factories. They place bulk orders for 1000's of assorted pieces & they must be of a certain agreed minimum quality. Of course the factories produce plenty of extras of varying quality that don't pass muster as well. This is why you can get a piece off DH Gate for 1/2 the price of SC but unknown quality. With China glass you absolutely get what you pay for. I have several pieces that are as as flawless as my branded US glass but also some examples that are shonky as fuck.

Rest assured the extra $$ you spend on a branded piece sourced locally entitles you to a higher expectation of quality & that hammerhead should fit the bill very nicely.

I find the opposite, my 14mm rig is the hardest one to pull on that I own, 14mm= restrictive, 18mm =easier open flow, just my 2 cents.:thumbsup:

I don't mind the restriction in my 14mm pieces as I tend to find 18mm somewhat chuggy by comparison. Of course this all depends on what perc is on what piece, can volume etc.

some examples that are shonky as fuck.
Too true, I received one piece that had the joint so low it is near useless. I think the old saying of getting what you paid for even applies to DHGate, some sellers have a better rep than others and their prices are a tiny fraction higher than less established sellers. I wish I had access to a decent bong shop, it would be nice to see what you are buying.:thumbsup:

I guess what I’m saying is that I *WANT* that restriction. Without it, my lungs fill too fast while my medicine escapes. Perhaps that’s how the kids blow their way thru the huge dabs’n’such I see on IG, but I do not find 14mm restrictive at all, nor do I have any difficulty getting as big and full a hit as I want, and just generally feel I have more control over the entire act of medication.

On Chinese glass: I would have ordered some from Dhgate long ago, but my only online purchase option is my SS debit card, and I will NOT expose it to offshore shenanigans no matter *how* low the risk. If SC and TAG & etc are providing low-cost, curated access to to the best (or better) glass, that’s a service I will make use of. So far, so very good: my mid-scale Grav-labeled water hammer has been knocked to the contrete floor, a 20” fall, several times, and there’s not a scratch or crack anywhere on it. It has been my driver for the couple years I’ve had it, as have everything I’ve picked up from either SC, TAG, or BWG.

I don’t begrudge domestic glass it’s cost, I just can’t afford it, and the older I get, the less likely affording it becomes. If I can manage some seasonal migrant work this fall, that picture will change. As an artist, son, brother and friend to many artists, few things give me more pleasure than to reward them for their art, and having it around, and using it.

I buy the more basic 'models' of Chinese glass from somebody in the US who themselves bought a bulk of them off of a DHgate seller. (Hopefully at a bulk discount. I presume). Nice when you can see close up pics beforehand.

Got the 2018 DO20 single perc from Ebay US. But there are a lot of sketchy sellers and Ebay has/had a weird restrictive policy on selling 'bongs'. So someone will say pretend to be a US seller and place your order thru China. OR they disappear entirely. Ebay's refund policy has saved me from being fully ripped off.

Been dryvaping mostly with my EVO. Finishing off the last of the ELB with water. So something that has low restriction, but can fill a chamber with thicker vapor before uncarbing. :ko: But I would like a duel matrix for water at some point.

Did get a Lynx from VXL at a discount. They have sales almost every month it seems. If someone wanted to prepare for a 20% sale.

Updating: received my new rig today, and it is a beauty.
Clear as a bell from every angle, no distortion, everything square and straight and as near perfect as I can see.

Flawless. THICK. HEAVY. Massive base. Hammer perc, which I’ve never seen before, but I’ve no doubt that, if it works at all, it will work great. Now all I need is something to put in it....

If *THIS* is China glass, they should be proud...

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back