Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Wine and Spirits

I mean you tell me, what do you think...?

New (snazzy jazzy viking badass bullshit) one:
1610007919009.png

Or the Old (simple, understated, yet totally cool) one:
Highland_Park_12.jpg

The speil from the site where I linked the sweet pic above:

Highland Park 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch

November 16, 2015

While this is probably the first time I am posting tasting notes on a Highland Park expression, the strangest thing is, this is not my first foray into Highland Park. In fact, at the beginning of the year while in Scotland I actually managed to try a Highland Park expression from 1955 but I can’t start with that now can I? The Highland Park distillery, which is steeped in history, stands on a hill overlooking Kirkwell, Orkney’s mail town – on an area of common land long known as the High Park of Rosebank. Established in 1798, of course as an illicit distillery, Highland Park describe themselves as the most Northern distillery in the world that above all creates some of the most taste bud tingling Scotch whisky. Their whisky is known for being rich with notes of honey, oranges, oak, with a slightly salty nature but most intriguingly, a touch of smoke/peat.

On the nose: is an intensive waft of sweet oranges, honey, vanilla and an enticing meaty note. This is closely followed by notes of toasted oats, fudge, a hint of lavender, cloves and cinnamon. There is a lovely buttery, saltiness to the nose that is nicely complimented by the slightest waft of thyme. The nose is nicely rounded off with suggestions of almonds and spices, which at this time of the year start to remind me of Christmas already. On the palate: those sweet oranges are ever-present, followed by notes of vanilla, butterscotch and interestingly enough, peat! Alongside these notes is brown sugar, cloves and cinnamon that is nicely balanced out by sea salt. Notes of oatmeal, fudge as well as a flavour of a herbaceous nature, nicely round off the palate. The finish: is medium – long, sweet, spicy, with lingering oak and a rich but not overbearing note of peat.

The verdict: As mentioned before, this is the first time I’ve posted tasting notes on an expression from the Highland Park, which in all honesty is probably long overdue. The 12-year-old expression is a brilliant entry dram from this distillery, it’s so good, it leaves you wondering how they’ve managed to produce it at this price point. This 12yo is so well-balanced with the right amount of sweetness, spiciness, body and peat. With an ABV of only 40%, it’s not really a Scotch that requires any water but if required, then only add just a few drops. Also allowing it to breathe for 5 – 10 minutes, yields more notes too.

Highland Park 12 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky is available online or in well-stocked Whisky Shops, for approximately £30.

For more information on this 12-year-old expression, visit the official Highland Park website.

(I always giggle a little to myself when I see "ABV" used for booze... the simple joys....)

Last edited:
Meant to post this last weekend. My daughter talked me into joining this online wine site, Last Bottle. You buy close outs and if you buy the 'last bottle' of their supply they give you a $50 credit. Well.. they have these 'marathons' and I got sucked into one lol. This is one of the bottles I bought and I was really please with it. Just the right crispness and citrus tones.... I highly recommend.

IMG_7776.JPG

A little White’s Bay Sauvignon blanc... not my favorite. It’s a bit acidic.

View attachment 21357

I guess you don't like Riesling? You mentioned "acidic" and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I like certain Rieslings with spicy food. I forget the degrees of dryness/sweetness but maybe a little bit sweet (or even a bit more than a little bit) is the best with spicy food.

Last edited:
Meant to post this last weekend. My daughter talked me into joining this online wine site, Last Bottle. You buy close outs and if you buy the 'last bottle' of their supply they give you a $50 credit. Well.. they have these 'marathons' and I got sucked into one lol. This is one of the bottles I bought and I was really please with it. Just the right crispness and citrus tones.... I highly recommend.

View attachment 25123
I will look 4 this one!
My wife love’s red however decent white wine’s “R” perfect with this heat wave!

I guess you don't like Riesling? You mentioned "acidic" and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. I like certain Rieslings with spicy food. I forget the degrees of dryness/sweetness but maybe a little bit sweet (or even a bit more than a little bit) is the best with spicy food.
No I don't care for Riesling at all. Way too sweet for me. I like a white wine that's crisp with citrus tones the best. Sauvignon Blanc is my favorite variety... and mostly from New Zealand. This one surprised me since it was from Napa Valley.

Hahahaha (sorry, my wife's of 100% Irish heritage, "hollow leg" and all... the green masthead background is a nice touch... heh):

1616319287984.png

Please scratch my previous rec. that's way too expensive, but this seems to be a decent value and is also quite good (if you're willing to spend that much, $70-80, I'd def get the Patron for a few dollars more over pretty much anything else there):

1616319941674.png

Sorry, I usually don't drink flavored standard liquors or beers, but my guess would be to go cheap, especially if you're going to mix it.

Last edited:
I would say shots would be the order or sipping straight with tequila...cheap drinks for me is beer or Jim Beam and coke...good bourbon straight but in moderation.

I would say shots would be the order or sipping straight with tequila...cheap drinks for me is beer or Jim Beam and coke...good bourbon straight but in moderation.
Then do NOT go cheap. Cheap tequila will ruin you for tequila for the rest of your life LOL.

My personal favorites for sipping..

don-julio-blanco_720x.png

I don't know if you can find this one there... but it's less costly and quite good as well.

92908-18414_d.jpg

And tequila should be ice cold for sipping. Keep it in the freezer or pour over ice.

I need to start experimenting with margaritas. I tend to like them on the smoother/sweeter less bright side so If you have suggestions as to repsosados I’d really appreciate it. Yes, I know there are plenty available on the web (even by chefs like Rick Bayless) but I thought I’d ask here too.
If you are mixing... you don't need to go 'high end' with tequila. But I wouldn't do 'rock gut' either....

If you can find it, this is a good one for mixing. About half the price of more expensive tequilas and doesn't taste all that bad straight either.

59db83cf466cf.jpg

If you are mixing... you don't need to go 'high end' with tequila. But I wouldn't do 'rock gut' either....

If you can find it, this is a good one for mixing. About half the price of more expensive tequilas and doesn't taste all that bad straight either.

View attachment 25644

Whew! I thought I had it wrong all these years....:wink::razz::

CLICK ME!
rotgut
noun
rot·gut | \ ˈrät-ˌgət \

Definition of rotgut

: cheap or inferior liquor

Examples of rotgut in a Sentence​

Recent Examples on the Web: Moonshine that falls into the rotgut category could be dangerous and even deadly for anyone desperate enough to drink it.

Whatever happened to Hornitos...? I always loved that shit for 'ritas..

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back