Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law The Cannabis Chronicles - Misc Cannabis News

This trend has been seen in various markets, with data from MJ Freeway that covers four states-- Oregon, Washington, Colorado and Nevada -- demonstrating that medical marijuana sales declined once adult use was legalized.
It could be that the patients get tired of paying the state for the 'privilege' of medicinal once it's readily available. Here in Michigan, it costs from $60 - $100 for the certification (paid to the clinic or doctor). Then you have to pay $100 to the state with an additional $35 if you have a caregiver. The card is issued for 2 years, but at the one year point you have to go back to your clinic to 'review' how cannabis is helping you. This costs another $100 or so. Perhaps patients get tired of that expense when they can just buy like anyone else? Especially since the patients are taxed on their meds as well.

Same here in Oregon. It cost a fee to get the card and a yearly visit to the doctor. They also keep track of your purchases. You can get anything as a rec user that the med user can get but you have to pay a little more. I have 2 friends that were med card holders that have stopped using the cards and just go to the store like the rest of us low life's.

Same here in Oregon. It cost a fee to get the card and a yearly visit to the doctor. They also keep track of your purchases. You can get anything as a rec user that the med user can get but you have to pay a little more. I have 2 friends that were med card holders that have stopped using the cards and just go to the store like the rest of us low life's.

I believe that's the plan. That people would gravitate towards the higher taxed places. Incentives to nudge them. Our state doesn't get rich off home growers, no taxes, unless they bust them of course. Any little infraction costs users dearly in Michigan.

And mom, the weed drs up here charge $150-180, but no charge for an off year update. Afaik. I just send in a form, and it's free.

Last edited:
I’m a huge grow-your-own advocate, have been all my life, it seems, though I’ve failed at the one grow I tried. It was an honest effort, If pitiful, and I don’t regret it. There have been lost opportunities but I’ve been spending a lot of time getting current with changes in cannaculture in the last twenty. I feel very much that if I can’t grow it and use it as I see fit, then it isn’t legal yet and there’s still work to be done.

I have faith that I will get to live out my last twenty growing medicine and living a strong and healthy and happy life among my friends.

Do you have growers rights in your states?

It seems like it should be reasonable and lawful for people to exchange cannabis among adults in any way they choose. It seems like there would be room for a casual market as well as a medicinal market. The medicinal would be tested and back-checkable and guaranteed DEA prime, slightly more expense seems realistic, where the casual market would be like now but out in the open ‘cause everyone would be either growing enough to share or would know a few people who grow enough to share, so completely different territory, and you’re saying that’s NOT what’s happening.

(I should probably go check into “How High Are You?”...)

Pardon me for screening to a halt in the middle of your parkour, but I’m interested in what you’re saying.

Last edited:
The data from MJ Freeway, a cannabis software company that provides seed-to-sale tracking in many legalized states, confirmed that medical marijuana sales on average do decline at dispensaries for four months following adult legalization. Indeed, five months before adult legalization, daily medical sales on average were $4,732. They slid to $4,176 in the month prior to legalization.

But in the fifth month following adult use legalization, things began to turn. Sales rose to $4,653 after bottoming at $4,046.

One year later, daily medical sales were approaching $6,001 -- higher than even before recreational sales were legalized. So, it could be surmised that instead of hurting medical marijuana sales, adult use legalization actually might improve sales.

Rec killing Med is not that clear cut as shown by the quote above.

Here in MD, we don't have Rec but our Med program is exempt from all state and local taxes just as pharmacy drugs. That, and its tested and regulated rigorously.

Two changes I would like to see are home grow and edibles to be added to our program.

Here in Michigan a patient can grow 12 plants, or designate a caregiver to do so. With rec on the horizon this all might change... currently the wording states that anyone can have up to 12 plants. However once (if) the law is passed on rec it will remain to be seen what the powers that be do to change it before it's implemented.

"Governor Murphy “balked” at the idea of a 10 percent sales tax, which would be the lowest in the nation, tied with Nevada. Apparently, Murphy sees 25 percent as a closer number to what the tax rate should be."

Whoa....a politician objecting because the electorate ain't going to be fleeced enough. What a fucking surprise.

New Jersey marijuana legalization face setbacks once again

More bureaucracy stands in the way, but is that necessarily bad?

Though we always knew that Phil Murphy’s promise to legalize weed in New jersey within his first 100 days in office was ambitious, the delays that have built up in passing a bill to do it have just gotten even longer. It’s now looking like it will be closer to the end of the year before we see anything finalized or signed.

Some proponents of legalization don’t see this as such a bad thing, however. As the bill’s timeline gets drawn out, so does the bill itself, with added features like expungement of records for low-level marijuana offenders and the leg up it would give small businesses who want to enter the cannabis space. Had there been no delays, social clubs wouldn’t be a possibility either.

Even if it does take until December to sign a bill into law, it looks like it’s a sure thing and shouldn’t take any longer than that. Those are very good things for marijuana advocates across the state and country who have been fighting long and hard to keep people out of jail for possessing cannabis.

Politico recently reported that While tax dollars are one of the benefits states enjoy when cannabis is legalized, it’s still important to make sure marijuana is affordable to those who need it most, like senior citizens, vets, and the very infirmed.

Still, those with ailments will be able to utilize the medical marijuana program, but it’s a program that wasn’t built on trust to begin with. The medical cannabis program was started under Chris Christie, who was loathe to implement the law and did everything he could to keep it from prospering. Murphy has done a lot to expand the medical law and make it more accessible, but many people remain gun-shy and await legalization.

“I’m hoping we have this tied up by the end of the year, perhaps initial votes in the next month,” Senator Scutari said after a legislative hearing on Monday. “It’s a complicated issue. We’re starting from the ground up. The longer it’s gone on, the better I think it is.”

Scutari also allowed for the fact that lawmakers aren’t likely to make a loose August deadline, originally set by Senate President Stephen Sweeney, which would put forth a legalization bill by September’s end. The bill has gone up from 71 to 121 pages since that initial August prediction and it has yet to be publicly released.

In the area where I live in WA state there used to be several clinics to get a medical cannabis card. Now there isn’t any clinics in my town. I would need to drive 30 miles and pay a $120 fee. We only save on sales tax with a medical cannabis card which is 9%. It doesn’t make it worth my while. The clinic I went to had all my records. They are no longer in business. They are under investigation is what I hear by the state of WA. They want folks to go to their family doctor to get a medical cannabis recommendation. My insurance is Kaiser, the doctors won’t suggest cannabis as medicine unless you have cancer and are waisting away and near death. The recreational states could be making it harder for patients.

Really should be no surprise to anyone..... but wow.

US Reschedules CBD Drug—but Not CBD Itself

Roughly three months after the Food and Drug Administration approved the cannabis-derived pharmaceutical Epidiolex for the treatment of epilepsy disorders, the US government has officially rescheduled drugs that contain CBD—but only if they’ve already been greenlighted by the FDA.

“Any other CBD product other than Epidiolex remains a Schedule I controlled substance.”
Rusty Payne, DEA spokesperson
The rescheduling order, released Thursday and set to officially publish in the Federal Register on Friday, is far narrower than many cannabis advocates had hoped. “Specifically,” it says, “this order places FDA-approved drugs that contain CBD derived from cannabis and no more than 0.1 percent tetrahydrocannabinols in schedule V.”

[Update: The full order as it appeared in the Federal Register on Friday is linked at the bottom of this article.]

In other words, rather than apply generally to all CBD-based products, the order applies to only those that have cleared FDA’s expensive and time-consuming approval process. For now, the number of pharmaceuticals covered by the order is one: Epidiolex, made by UK-based drugmaker GW Pharmaceuticals.

“What this does not do is legalize or change the status of CBD oil products,” DEA spokesperson Rusty Payne told NBC affiliate WTHR. “As of right now, any other CBD product other than Epidiolex remains a Schedule I controlled substance, so it’s still illegal under federal law.”

That statement—that other CBD products remain Schedule I substances and illegal under federal law—is a controversial one. While the DEA maintains that position, the hemp industry and medical cannabis advocates argue that CBD derived from hemp is legal—at least if the hemp was grown legally under state pilot program. (For more, see Leafly’s explainer.)

The rescheduling move does open the door for additional high-CBD medicines to enter the US market, however, and it will likely attract other CBD drugmakers to jump in. But many popular products in existing medical cannabis markets, such as Canada or certain US states, will be ineligible due to the amount of THC they contain.

The effectiveness of an epilepsy medicine produced by Canadian producer Tilray, for example, has in recent months inspired UK lawmakers to soften their stance on medical cannabis. But because the medicine has a CBD-to-THC ratio of 50-to-1, the drug will remain a Schedule I controlled substance in the United States despite the rescheduling order. (Full disclosure: Tilray and Leafly are both owned by private equity firm Privateer Holdings.)

Some in the cannabis community have expressed concern that by narrowly opening the door to only certain CBD pharmaceuticals, patients may actually have a harder time obtaining—and affording—CBD medicine. Epidiolex, for example, is anticipated to cost $32,500 per year, which GW Pharmaceuticals’ CEO has said is roughly in line with other brand-name epilepsy drugs. That’s tens of thousands of dollars more than high-CBD medicines currently on sale, whether derived from hemp or cannabis.

“We anticipated that Epidiolex will be the first of many potential FDA-approved medicines based on the cannabis plant. These are welcome alternatives,” NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said in a statement following the rescheduling news. “But these products should not be regulated in such a manner that patients no longer have ready access to herbal cannabis — a product that humans have used safely and effectively as a medicine for thousands of years and is approved today by statute in 31 states.”

GW Pharmaceuticals said in a statement Thursday that the company is “working hard to make Epidiolex available within the next six weeks.”

Federal Register: Placement… by on Scribd

Really should be no surprise to anyone..... but wow.

US Reschedules CBD Drug—but Not CBD Itself

Roughly three months after the Food and Drug Administration approved the cannabis-derived pharmaceutical Epidiolex for the treatment of epilepsy disorders, the US government has officially rescheduled drugs that contain CBD—but only if they’ve already been greenlighted by the FDA.

“Any other CBD product other than Epidiolex remains a Schedule I controlled substance.”
Rusty Payne, DEA spokesperson
The rescheduling order, released Thursday and set to officially publish in the Federal Register on Friday, is far narrower than many cannabis advocates had hoped. “Specifically,” it says, “this order places FDA-approved drugs that contain CBD derived from cannabis and no more than 0.1 percent tetrahydrocannabinols in schedule V.”

[Update: The full order as it appeared in the Federal Register on Friday is linked at the bottom of this article.]

In other words, rather than apply generally to all CBD-based products, the order applies to only those that have cleared FDA’s expensive and time-consuming approval process. For now, the number of pharmaceuticals covered by the order is one: Epidiolex, made by UK-based drugmaker GW Pharmaceuticals.

“What this does not do is legalize or change the status of CBD oil products,” DEA spokesperson Rusty Payne told NBC affiliate WTHR. “As of right now, any other CBD product other than Epidiolex remains a Schedule I controlled substance, so it’s still illegal under federal law.”

That statement—that other CBD products remain Schedule I substances and illegal under federal law—is a controversial one. While the DEA maintains that position, the hemp industry and medical cannabis advocates argue that CBD derived from hemp is legal—at least if the hemp was grown legally under state pilot program. (For more, see Leafly’s explainer.)

The rescheduling move does open the door for additional high-CBD medicines to enter the US market, however, and it will likely attract other CBD drugmakers to jump in. But many popular products in existing medical cannabis markets, such as Canada or certain US states, will be ineligible due to the amount of THC they contain.

The effectiveness of an epilepsy medicine produced by Canadian producer Tilray, for example, has in recent months inspired UK lawmakers to soften their stance on medical cannabis. But because the medicine has a CBD-to-THC ratio of 50-to-1, the drug will remain a Schedule I controlled substance in the United States despite the rescheduling order. (Full disclosure: Tilray and Leafly are both owned by private equity firm Privateer Holdings.)

Some in the cannabis community have expressed concern that by narrowly opening the door to only certain CBD pharmaceuticals, patients may actually have a harder time obtaining—and affording—CBD medicine. Epidiolex, for example, is anticipated to cost $32,500 per year, which GW Pharmaceuticals’ CEO has said is roughly in line with other brand-name epilepsy drugs. That’s tens of thousands of dollars more than high-CBD medicines currently on sale, whether derived from hemp or cannabis.

“We anticipated that Epidiolex will be the first of many potential FDA-approved medicines based on the cannabis plant. These are welcome alternatives,” NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said in a statement following the rescheduling news. “But these products should not be regulated in such a manner that patients no longer have ready access to herbal cannabis — a product that humans have used safely and effectively as a medicine for thousands of years and is approved today by statute in 31 states.”

GW Pharmaceuticals said in a statement Thursday that the company is “working hard to make Epidiolex available within the next six weeks.”

Federal Register: Placement… by on Scribd

The level of mendacity is breath taking b

Here in Michigan a patient can grow 12 plants, or designate a caregiver to do so. With rec on the horizon this all might change... currently the wording states that anyone can have up to 12 plants. However once (if) the law is passed on rec it will remain to be seen what the powers that be do to change it before it's implemented.

One thing to consider if your not sure if you wanna keep your medical card in MI. With a medical card in MI, we're allowed internal possession, and without a card zero tolerance for having cannabinoids in your body, think about a senario like a traffic or work accident. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think that changes for legalization for MI.

Having a drug test in case of an accident is why I kept my med card initially because the amount we save isn’t much. The thought of gathering up all my info for the last ten years seems like a lot of trouble. Plus finding a good clinic away from where I live. It pisses me off that I can’t get my medical info from the cannabis referral clinic that I had gone to. They have a sign indicating they are closed. I tried calling and the number has been discontinued. I had copies of mammograms, X-rays, MRIs and chart notes, operation notes from the hospital.
A lot of info to replace.

In WA as soon as we became a legal state I noticed they test drivers more frequently. With the medical cannabis only I didn’t hear so much about testing drivers for cannabis.

Well, given our asinine legal and regulatory structure, this should come as no surprise.

U.S. cannabis producers fear Canada will 'Dominate the industry'

The CEO of California-based marijuana producer and seller Terra Tech is watching the cannabis industry boom north of the border with more than a little apprehension — because he is already seeing the beginnings of an invasion of U.S. markets by Canada's cannabis firms, today the world's largest.

"The concern for some of the players is the market will be dominated by Canadian companies, shareholders and banks if we allow too much time to pass," Peterson said by phone from California.

With Canada set to legalize recreational marijuana on Oct. 17, Canadian cannabis stock prices have soared, giving these startup firms enormous amounts of money with which to invest in their business.

Meanwhile, U.S. companies, encumbered by the country's continuing federal prohibition, aren't seeing nearly the sorts of valuations Canadian companies are seeing.

"They who have capital get to soak up market share," Peterson said, adding that Canadian companies are "capitalizing themselves extremely well and doing arms'-length investments in U.S. markets, locking down branding opportunities and buying players."

Peterson figures the U.S. has only a few years to "get its act together" and reform marijuana laws at the federal level, or Canadian companies stand to win the game.

"If we don't see something happen in 2019, almost all of us will be takeout targets for Canadian players," he said.

There's a lot at stake. One recent estimate suggested the U.S. marijuana market could be worth about US$90 billion a year if it were legalized across the country. These forecasts tend to vary widely, but it's clear that giant green fortunes stand to be made.

Cam Battley, chief corporate officer at Edmonton-based Aurora Cannabis, thinks there's nothing wrong with Canada being the one to make those fortunes.

"When was the last time Canada got to lead the creation of a new industry worldwide?" he asked by phone from Berlin.

"As much as I absolutely love the United States ... I don't think there's any law that says the U.S. has to dominate every new industry in the world."

In the past year, Aurora's stock price has quadrupled as investors anticipate a major boom in revenue after Canadian legalization. That and its takeover of rival MedReleaf earlier this year has made it the world's largest cannabis company, valued at more than $11 billion.

Battley calls Canada's leading role in cannabis an "accidental success story," one that started with the country's Supreme Court forcing the federal government in 2001 to create a mechanism for medical marijuana patients to access the herb legally.

The government of the time "did something smart," Battley says —it instituted a licencing system for private marijuana producers, which created a competitive environment for medical cannabis. This was the seed of today's booming industry, Battley says.

And today, with the Liberal government legalizing recreational marijuana at the federal level, the world is watching to see what the results will be.

"I would say the world trusts Canada to be the leader on this. We're not known for being wild and crazy. We're known for being very good at public policy."

dims

Aurora Cannabis chief corporate officer Cam Battley in Vancouver, B.C., Fri. Jan. 27, 2017.

Aurora's own business plans show just how internationally-focused the Canadian industry has become. Battley boasts the company has established footholds "on five continents" and in 18 countries where medical cannabis is legal, and further expansion is on the way.

He's convinced Canada will lead the world in the cannabis industry, which he believes will be larger than the beer industry, once it's fully matured and includes things such as edibles and cannabis drinks.

But when it comes to the U.S., a Canadian invasion may not be so easy to pull off.

While nine U.S. states have legalized recreational cannabis and many more allow medicinal marijuana, it remains illegal at the federal level. Cannabis producers can't ship product across state lines, or access financing from major banks. The current White House has expressed hostility towards the industry. U.S. border officials are reportedly giving cannabis execs a hard time.

Faced with that reality, Aurora is actually distancing itself from the U.S. industry. It spun off its U.S. holdings into a separate company earlier this month, and Battley stressed his company does not have "any U.S. operations or assets right now."

For publicly traded cannabis firms, it's crucial to avoid the perception that they may be involved in an illegal activity in any jurisdiction.

But Aurora's not abandoning all hope — it has a deal in place with the U.S. business it spun off, allowing it to buy back in if cannabis is legalized in the U.S. in the next 10 years.

So the Canadian invasion of American marijuana may not be quite as imminent as some think. And some observers say it's a mistake to count the U.S. industry out.

"I would never bet against the U.S. in terms of their ability to catch up," said Mark Whitmore, vice-chair and global leader for consultancy Deloitte Private.

A 'global megatrend'
While Whitmore holds a bullish view of the Canadian industry — he was behind a 2016 report estimating legal cannabis would be worth $22 billion a year to Canada's economy after legalization —he is also optimistic about the U.S.

He noted that California, which has legalized marijuana, "is as large a market on its own as Canada. It's always had an innovative and progressive economy."

And he cited a common adage heard in the global investor community: Anyone who has bet against the U.S. in the past few centuries has lost.

But he notes that it all depends on how the political situation will evolve. "The big question mark still is where does the U.S. go on the whole topic of cannabis?"

In the meantime, Canada will be "leading a global megatrend," Battley said.

"Thus far we've done very well at getting it right. I think we're going to change the world in a very positive way."

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back