Sponsored by
PuffItUp VapeFully Dynavap Vaposhop
  1. Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know that you have two different customized styles/themes to view VaporAsylum in?
    Change your style here.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Navigating the asylum....

Discussion in 'Forum Information' started by momofthegoons, Mar 9, 2017.

1. momofthegoons

momofthegoons Vapor Accessory Addict Staff Member

Coming on to a forum can be intimidating if you aren't familiar with how it works. Here are a few tips to help you:

Personal information: You can personalize your account by adding an avatar and other information. To do this, simply hit the link on your username on the upper forum toolbar. This will give you a drop down box with many options to choose from. This drop down box also has a tab for Alert Preferences.

Posting:

At the top of your reply box, there is a tool bar that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.04.12 PM.jpg

If you hover over the commands, it will tell you what they represent.

Posting a picture - Images can be directly uploaded from your computer or mobile by hitting the Upload a File tab located at the bottom of the reply box. Or you can drag it into the reply box.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.07.52 PM.jpg

You will now have the option to load your image(s) as a file attachment (by leaving it as is), or as a thumbnail or full image.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.20.10 PM.jpg

You can also download images from Instagram by copying the link from the image and pasting it directly into the body of your reply. When using an iPhone, you need to add www. after the https// in your url.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.35.10 PM.jpg

We also now offer a Media Gallery. You can find the link to it here:

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.40.10 PM.jpg

You'll find all sorts of handy tools there for uploading images.

Images in your media folder can be found by using the toolbar; here:

Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 6.27.44 PM.jpg

This will open a library of all of the images you have downloaded to the media gallery.

Pictures can be downloaded from image hosting sites as well. To use the image in a post, simply past the "Share BB Code" in the body of your post. You do not need to use the toolbar.

You also have the ability to add a poll to your thread.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.27.01 PM.jpg

Back to Back Posts - You can avoid making back to back posts if you are within you 6 hour edit period. Simply hit you edit button at the bottom left of your post screen and add the content you wish to add to your existing post. If you wish to reply to more than one thing or member, you can reply to each post you want to quote, but please do not hit the reply button on your post until you are finished.

Tagging a Member - Members can be tagged in posts by adding the @ as a prefix to their username (i.e. @momofthegoons). This can only be done during the original posting and not during an edit. If a member has turned off their alerts, they will not be alerted to the tag.

Linking to a specific post: The post number shows up in the upper right corner of each post. Click on that number to receive the link information to use for linking that post in another.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.14.17 PM.jpg

Our software 'saves' drafts that you have written in a conversation or post for you every 10 minutes. This content will stay in your reply box for 4 hours, even if you leave the page. When you return to that page, it will appear as shaded text. If you no longer wish to use that content, you MUST delete it prior to replying or it will add to your post. The draft will save in a reply box until you have either used it or deleted it and posted something else.

Edit & Report buttons - The Edit and Report buttons are at the bottom lower left of a post.

Deleting posts - Members cannot delete posts. If you decide to remove the content within the edit time, please hit the report button and a moderator will delete the empty post for you.

If you would like to practice posting a picture or link, we have an area called The Practice Area in Community Discussion.

If you want to watch a particular forum click the Watch Forum link at the top right of the thread list:

You can also watch a specific thread in a forum by hitting the 'Watch Thread' button.

Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 6.33.42 PM.jpg

You can also choose to watch an entire forum:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.57.40 PM.jpg

This drop down box will appear... and you can choose whether to get your notifications of new posts via alert or email.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.00.32 PM.jpg

Now you'll get alerts whenever a new thread is created in each forum you mark as watched whether you have posted in it or not.

Screen style

You have the option of using the light version of this software if you prefer a lighter background. To do this, you go to the lower, left hand corner of your screen and hit this tab:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.33.46 PM.jpg

This will change your background and it will now look like this:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.41.21 PM.jpg

Private Conversations

You can start a private conversation with a member here by one of two ways:

There is a tab called Inbox at the top right corner of the Home page.

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.47.39 PM.jpg

Or, you can click on a member's avatar and get this box:

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 10.52.50 PM.jpg

The screen you get when clicking on a member's avatar also gives you the options to view a member's Profile page, and Follow or Ignore that member.

Hopefully, these tips will help you. Feel free to ask any questions or add tips, if you have them. :smile:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Kurtdigglur, Killick, Pipes and 18 others like this.
  2. PattyVapes

PattyVapes Vaporista

Thanks Mom, for a clear and non-intimidating introduction.:love:

3. lazylathe

lazylathe reaching maximum velocity...

Hi Mom!

Quick question for you!
    Does the "Alerts" in the top right corner ever reset itself?
    I have noticed that mine just keeps climbing and even when hovering my mouse over the list it just stays the same.
    Would be nice if it reset.

Thanks for the awesome site!!!

OOOPS!!! Mine just reset as i posted this! LOL!

Melting Pot, seaofgreens, BD9 and 8 others like this.
  4. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

Is there a multi quote button? I'm used to it being near the bottom right of the page but can't find it. Thanks.

5. momofthegoons

Let me see what I can do about locating that little bugger.....

Edit to add: Ask and....... maybe I'll do it.... it's been enabled. :biggrin:

Melting Pot, grokit, UN~YAH and 4 others like this.
  6. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

Thanks @momofthegoons !!

With this crowd..........There will be a l0t to quote!! :biggrin::cool:

Melting Pot, grokit, UN~YAH and 3 others like this.
  7. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

Is anyone else having using the forum with Firefox?

I kept getting error messages then the page would freeze. Then I would have to close the tab. I have cleared caches and history Some threads would load very slow.
    Launched Microsft and edge and now everything seems fine.

Melting Pot likes this.
  8. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I use Firefox all of the time with this site and no problems at all. I'm on 52.0.1 (32 bit version). Hope this is helpful.

GreenHopper and ataxian like this.
  9. momofthegoons

I'm sure that this is related to the series of DDOS attacks we have been receiving. We are in the process of dealing with them.

10. CarolKing

CarolKing Always in search of the perfect vaporizer

By the Enerald City along the Pacific Ocean
    I'm having trouble with the site knocking me off today. I keep having to re enter the site at least 10 times this afternoon.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

I have had the same issue for a day or two. I've sent a PM to @momofthegoons and she's aware. See her post ^^^ above. Issues should be taken care of soon.

12. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Yeah I didn't want to say anything because it is not my place, however, browser choice has nothing to do with this.

I would also like to remind people that if you want the mods to delete a post you made you must report it so it comes to their attention. Otherwise it may get lost in the shuffle . . . :peace:

13. momofthegoons

I am sorry for the downtime we've been experiencing. We have been hit with a series of DDoS attacks since the site started that have crashed the site and made other functions slow. Additional steps are in place now to secure the site. Hopefully we've seen the end of it now. If not? Bigger walls for the asylum!!! :smackdown:

Thanks for all your patience everyone.

14. herbivore21

herbivore21 The Asylum's Scientist and Safety Advisor

Tighter straitjackets I hope too!

GreenHopper, grokit, BD9 and 2 others like this.
  15. CarolKing

CarolKing Always in search of the perfect vaporizer

By the Enerald City along the Pacific Ocean
    I'm still getting knocked off continually.

Edit
    Not complaining just wanted you to know that's it's still going on.

For me things were pretty smooth until 2 days ago.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  16. momofthegoons

I understand @CarolKing . The attacks have not stopped. I am working on it.

GreenHopper, t-dub, BD9 and 1 other person like this.
  17. BD9

BD9 Leaf Dawg

Here is some info on what @momofthegoons is dealing with. DoS/DDoS Attacks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) is a cyber-attack where the perpetrator seeks to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users by temporarily or indefinitely disrupting services of a host connected to the Internet. Denial of service is typically accomplished by flooding the targeted machine or resource with superfluous requests in an attempt to overload systems and prevent some or all legitimate requests from being fulfilled.[1] A DoS attack is analogous to a group of people crowding the entry door or gate to a shop or business, and not letting legitimate parties enter into the shop or business, disrupting normal operations.

Criminal perpetrators of DoS attacks often target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks or credit card payment gateways. Revenge, blackmail[2][3][4] and activism[5] can motivate these attacks.

Defense techniques
    Defensive responses to denial-of-service attacks typically involve the use of a combination of attack detection, traffic classification and response tools, aiming to block traffic that they identify as illegitimate and allow traffic that they identify as legitimate.[51] A list of prevention and response tools is provided below:

Application front end hardware
    Application front-end hardware is intelligent hardware placed on the network before traffic reaches the servers. It can be used on networks in conjunction with routers and switches. Application front end hardware analyzes data packets as they enter the system, and then identifies them as priority, regular, or dangerous. There are more than 25 bandwidth management vendors.

18. t-dub

t-dub Vapor Sloth

Interesting how the walls here are mainly to keep people out, not in . . . :smile:

19. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

We've never experienced anyone trying to leave :wink:

20. momofthegoons

One thing that has come to my attention is that if you use yellow (or any of the real light colors) for your font, it is not easily visible using the VaporAsylum dark background. Conversely, using dark colors on the light background creates the same situation.

There is a solution to both situations; simply highlight the text and it is readable.

GreenHopper, t-dub, BD9 and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice