Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law Atrocious and Horrible Cannabis News

And this mofo is our Surgeon General. How the fuck would he know what the impact is to people.....the Feds don't allow any serious research. Is this just his drug warrior bias? I think so. Also, there have been a number of studies showing that teen MJ use has declined in legal states....so, what does he have to back up this statement: "Surveys show that an increasing number of adolescents and pregnant women use the drug, which can be eaten, smoked or vaped." Hmmm? What studies and surveys....the ones from SAM, maybe? sigh

With that said, I would never recommend MJ for pregnant women nor teens....the later is based on my experience at a teen drug user (sorry, I have no experience in being pregnant! haha)

Surgeon General Sounds Alarm On Risk Of Marijuana Addiction And Harm

At a time when more than 30 states and the District of Columbia have legalized the use of marijuana for either medical or recreational use, the U.S. surgeon general says no amount of the drug is safe for teens, young adults and pregnant women.

"While the perceived harm of marijuana is decreasing, the scary truth is that the actual potential for harm is increasing," Surgeon General Jerome Adams said Thursday during a press conference to announce the new advisory.

Surveys show that an increasing number of adolescents and pregnant women use the drug, which can be eaten, smoked or vaped.

But the surgeon general told NPR in an interview that many people are not aware of just how potent the drug can be.

"This ain't your mother's marijuana," he said. The THC concentration in marijuana plants has increased threefold between 1995 and 2014, according to the report, and concentrated products can contain up to 75% THC.

"The higher the THC delivery, the higher the risk," Adams said

Young people who regularly use marijuana are "more likely to show a decline in IQ and school performance [and] are more apt to miss classes," Adams said. And frequent use of the drug can also impair a child's attention, memory and decision-making.

In addition, it can be habit-forming.

"Nearly 1 in 5 people who begin marijuana use during adolescence become addicted," Adams said. "That's scary to me as the dad of a 15-, a 13- and a 9-year-old."

Symptoms of marijuana dependency include "irritability, mood and sleep difficulties, decreased appetite, cravings, restlessness, and/or various forms of physical discomfort that peak within the first week after quitting and last up to 2 weeks," according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. And marijuana becomes addictive "when the person cannot stop using the drug even though it interferes with many aspects of his or her life," according to NIDA.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced that President Trump is donating part of his salary this quarter — about $100,000 — to fund a digital media campaign to bring attention to the risks of marijuana use.

There's still a lot that's unknown about the risks of marijuana, and federal officials say they support more local and federal research. Just this week, the Drug Enforcement Administration said it would start to process pending applications for permission to cultivate the plant for research, as NPR reported.

The Trump administration is not the first to sound the alarm about the rising use of marijuana. At a time when surveys point to a significant increase in the number of pregnant women using the drug, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists is educating women about the risks. "Marijuana and pregnancy don't mix," the group urges.

The organization published an infographic that points to the range of risks for women and their fetuses, including disruption of brain development, smaller birth weight, higher risk of premature birth, and behavioral problems in childhood.

Bottom line, the surgeon general wants to remind people that despite what's happening in states, federal law hasn't changed. And there is good reason for caution.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...alarm-on-risk-of-marijuana-addiction-and-harm

Ok, we are talking about Steny Hoyer, Sen from my state of MD. People in Maryland kind of know...well, Steny is a bit of idiot and always has been (and you ought to talk to people in Delaware that have known Joe Biden for 40-50 years....they view him similarly...nice guy, bit of a dull knife).

It doesn't help that he is also 80 y.o. and please don't talk to me about ageism. There is a good reason that many critical professions have an upper age limit...like airline pilots for example...and that reason is that cognitive decline with age is indeed a fact.

The reason Steny is numero dos in the Dem party is that he is a loyal Dem machine politician who can be relied on to whip his caucus in line with leadership's agenda...as is Nancy for that matter....and that's part of the job of his position.

Top House Democrat Peddles Gateway Theory To Justify Marijuana Legalization Opposition

The second highest ranking Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives wrote on Monday that he remains wary of supporting the legalization of marijuana because he believes it is a gateway to “harder, very harmful drugs.”

In the letter from Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-MD), which was shared with Marijuana Moment by a constituent of the congressman, the top Democrat cited his record of embracing more modest cannabis reform proposals but stopped short of pledging to back adult-use legalization.

“I support the legalization of medical marijuana, as I am aware that it does have an ameliorating effect on pain and other circumstances that may be useful for patients,” he said, adding that he voted in favor of an amendment to protect medical cannabis states from federal interference. Hoyer more recently cast a vote for a measure that extends that protection to all legal marijuana states, though his letter does not mention it.

He also said he was in favor of Maryland’s decision to decriminalize marijuana possession in 2014, “as I do believe that there are too many non-violent offenders suffering in prison from a criminal conviction over possession.”

When Baltimore Mayor Kurt Schmoke (D) first floated the idea of legalizing drugs as a means to curb drug-related violence and other issues related to prohibition in the late 1980s, Hoyer wrote that he was was “initially amenable” to cannabis legalization.

But in the decades since, he’s backpedalled—apparently so much so that he’s offering an argument against legalization in 2019 that even staunch prohibitionists have begun to distance themselves from.

“I still have concerns on this after speaking to people who deal with drug abuse and rehabilitation issues and particularly after learning of the drug’s harmful consequences as a threshold drug that leads to the use of harder, very harmful drugs,” Hoyer wrote, using alternative language to describe the widely criticized gateway drug theory.

Evidence doesn’t bear out the gateway theory, as it ignores the fact that marijuana is the most widely used illicit substance and would therefore logically be one of the first drugs that a person uses in many cases. It also conflates causation with correlation, as the same principle could be used to argue that any commonly used drug like nicotine or alcohol leads people to use substances like heroin or cocaine.

What’s more, a growing body of research has demonstrated that for some people, cannabis serves as an offramp, used as an alternative to addictive prescription medications and illicit drugs.

“Rep. Hoyer is showing himself to be a relic of a bygone era who is far out of touch with the majority of Americans on marijuana policy,” Erik Altieri, executive director of NORML, told Marijuana Moment. “Marijuana legalization and regulation has been proven, in the real world not in Hoyer’s imaginary one, to lead to a decrease in youth use and to help people struggling with opioid addiction.”

“By sticking to the long debunked myth of marijuana as a gateway drug, Hoyer is denying actual science and failing his constituents by advancing talking points straight from the Reefer Madness era,” Altieri said. “It is time he joined the rest of us on the right side of history or for his district to find new representation.”

After Marijuana Moment originally published this story, Mckayla Wilkes, who is running against Hoyer in a primary challenge for his congressional seat, criticized the incumbent in a tweet in which she stated her support for legalizing cannabis and expunging past convictions.

1567107293655.png

Hoyer made similar remarks last year, acknowledging that voters are largely in favor of legalization and that it “probably makes sense” but stating that he’s “not so sure that it’s not a gateway drug to using other drugs.”

Robert Capecchi, the constituent who wrote to Hoyer about legalization, told Marijuana Moment that he while he doesn’t dislike the congressman and voted for him, “it’s incredibly disappointing to see opposition to cannabis policy reform—beyond accommodating medical cannabis laws—based on the debunked ‘gate-way theory,’ especially from one of the most senior members of Democratic Leadership.”

“I sincerely hope that Rep. Hoyer and other members of the House Democratic Leadership team take a page from their Judiciary Chair and start taking the need to reform our failed federal marijuana laws with the seriousness it deserves,” Capecchi wrote, referencing legislation Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) introduced last month to federally deschedule cannabis.

Other Democratic leaders in Congress such as Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and House Democratic Caucus Chairman Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY) are also on board with reform plans, with the pair having introduced companion bills to remove cannabis from the Controlled Substances Act in May.

“This is not about use; people use and will continue to use cannabis regardless of federal law,” Capecchi said. “It’s about safety, it’s about equity, it’s about compassion, and it’s about responsible regulation and accurate education.”

At a time when numerous cannabis legalization bills are being filed and a majority of Democratic presidential candidates are vocally supporting broad reform, it’s unusual to see a party leader openly peddle what most consider an outdated and inaccurate theory, even if that position is couched in less familiar language (i.e. “threshold” versus “gateway”).

But it’s not entirely unheard of, as Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, similarly subscribes to the gateway drug theory and didn’t shy away from saying so during an appearance on C-SPAN last year.

Read Hoyer’s letter below:

August 26, 2019​
Dear Mr. Capecchi,​
Thank you for your letter regarding the legalization of marijuana. I appreciate your taking the time to make me aware of your concerns on this important matter.​
I support the legalization of medical marijuana, as I am aware that it does have an ameliorating effect on pain and other circumstances that may be useful for patients. In the past, I have voted for an amendment in the Commerce Justice and Science appropriations bill that would prevent the Federal Government from impeding on Maryland’s ability to implement its medical marijuana laws. I also supported the decision made by Governor O’Malley and the Maryland General Assembly in 2014 to decriminalize the possession of small amounts of marijuana in Maryland as I do believe that there are too many non-violent offenders suffering in prison from a criminal conviction over possession.​
As you may know, I was initially amenable to the idea of the legalization of marijuana when Kurt Schmoke was Mayor of Baltimore and advocating for drug decriminalization. However, in the 30 years since, I still have concerns on this after speaking to people who deal with drug abuse and rehabilitation issues and particularly after learning of the drug’s harmful consequences as a threshold drug that leads to the use of harder, very harmful drugs.​
Should legislation regarding the legalization of marijuana come before the full House of Representatives, please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind.​
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with me. I encourage you to visit my website at www.hoyer.house.gov. While there, you can sign up for the Hoyer Herald, access my voting record, and get information about important public issues. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.​
With kindest regards, I am​
Sincerely yours,​
Steny H. Hoyer​

If you read this article, you will find that this guy is a blithering idiot who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Well, he's an idiot with a personal financial interest in keep the U of Miss monopoly....I mean, these Fed dollars pay his salary and give him the power and prestige of his position.

By the by, this is the stuff HE grows....will you look at this shit!!

Rebecca-Matthews-_FAH9845-1024x680.jpg

1567522527775.png

Now is this a plant that you want to vape? Hmmm?

1567522554720.png

Head Of Only Federal Marijuana Farm Thinks 8 Percent THC Marijuana Is ‘Extremely’ Potent

The head of the nation’s only federally authorized marijuana farm said he’s baffled by why consumers would want marijuana containing 15 percent or more THC when, according to him, even eight percent is too high.

During a podcast interview published last month, Mahmoud ElSohly described how demand for higher potency research-grade cannabis has increased over the last two decades and said that studies using his facility’s products demonstrated that even marijuana with just eight percent THC proved too powerful for subjects.
The comparatively low THC concentration products from his farm that are used in studies has been a source of frustration for scientists, who argue that any research based on such materials will not reflect what consumers have access to in the commercial market, where flower tends to have much higher THC concentrations—thus calling into question the applicability of federally approved research in the real world.
When ElSohly’s team at the University of Mississippi was first approached by an researcher seeking eight percent THC cannabis around 2005, he said it proved challenging because the “higher the potency, the more gummy, the more sticky the plant material is, the harder it is to roll cigarettes using the high volume cigarette manufacturing machine.”

(This might help explain why the National Institute on Drug Abuse, which provides funding for ElSohly’s activities, has published job listings in recent months calling for professional joint rollers.)

After the researcher obtained the cannabis and incorporated it into his study, ElSohly said he received a call from the scientist who said “my most experienced subject could not tolerate the eight percent.”

“The point is, eight percent THC in a plant material is extremely high potency for somebody to actually finish a cigarette,” he said, adding that in order for marijuana material to be used in double-blind clinical trials, “every cigarette has to be exactly the same” in terms of volume and shape, with the only difference being potency.
Listen to the conversation around THC potency starting around 9:00 into the audio below:

The majority of study participants in that case said that the four percent THC marijuana was the most effective for them, ElSohly told the podcaster interviewer from the prohibitionist group National Families In Action.

“Why people want to smoke or use 20 percent or 15 or 18 or any of those high amounts is just beyond me,” he said. “It’s not for a good reason.”
What seems to have been lost on ElSohly is that consumers in commercial cannabis markets aren’t necessarily being forced to smoke an entire joint in one clinically standardized sitting. And they might prefer to smoke less of a higher THC concentration product to achieve the intended effect.
Later in the interview, he suggested that those using cannabis concentrates containing much higher levels of THC are suffering from addiction—again neglecting to recognize that preferences among consumers might vary from time to time, with some choosing to use concentrates occasionally like a person who tends to drink beer will sometimes take a shot of whiskey.

“Of course some people are so addicted that it really requires a lot of material to make them high,” he said. “It gets to the THC is addictive.”
The conversation seems to bolster an argument that’s been repeatedly made by researchers and lawmakers alike: the government needs to approve additional cannabis manufacturers to cultivate a greater diversity of products so that studies aren’t limited by cannabis materials that chemically resemble hemp more than marijuana available in state-legal markets.

To that end, the Drug Enforcement Administration said last week that it is taking steps to approve additional cannabis growers beyond ElSohly’s Mississippi operation, three years after the agency initially invited applications for such facilities.

Embattled Massachusetts mayor arrested over alleged extortion of marijuana vendors

The mayor of an old mill city in Massachusetts who was recalled -- then reelected -- over fraud indictments was arrested Friday for “extorting marijuana vendors for cash,” prosecutors said.

Massachusetts District Attorney Andrew Lelling slammed Fall River Mayor Jasiel Correia II as corrupt after the 27-year-old was accused of bribing marijuana vendors out of hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, contributions, gifts and even the green leaf itself while in office in exchange for business opportunities, according to MassLive.com.

“When it comes to public corruption in Mass., this office is the primary deterrent. I take that seriously, and we will continue to aggressively pursue corruption in local, city and state governments,” Lelling said at a press conference.

Three other defendants connected to the case accepted please deals after court documents obtained by MassLive.com showed a quid-pro-quo between them, the Democratic mayor, and interested vendors.

They all face charges of aiding and abetting extortion and conspiracy to commit extortion.

For Correia, this is the second time he has been arrested by federal agents after he was previously accused of filing false tax returns and stealing $231,447 from investors to fund a lavish lifestyle.

The mayor, who was first elected in 2015, pleaded not guilty in U.S. District Court to charges of wire fraud and filing false tax returns. When he refused to step down, about 4,500 Fall River voters signed a petition to force a recall vote.

He was recalled but then reelected in March. He is set to appear before a Magistrate Judge Friday afternoon.

Sacramento Fined Homeowners $94 Million For Illegal Cannabis Grows — But Many Claim They’re Innocent

Editor’s Note: This is the first story in a series about Northern California homeowners impacted by the city of Sacramento’s efforts to curb the illegal cultivation of cannabis.

Zuhu Wang started saving to buy a home in the United States as soon as he immigrated from China in 1997. After nearly 20 years, he had enough for a down payment. But he couldn’t afford a home in San Francisco, where he drives a bus for a living, so he looked elsewhere.

In 2017, he put down $90,000 for a two-story house in a South Sacramento neighborhood. Wang was 61 years old at the time and planned to retire and move there in the next few years. In the meantime, he hired an experienced property management company to help rent the house and supplement his income.

Nine months later, police raided the home on the suspicion his tenant was illegally growing cannabis. Officers found 281 plants — well over the legal limit — and cited the tenant with a misdemeanor.

Wang wasn’t charged with a crime, and he says he had no awareness of the grow, which the city doesn’t necessarily dispute.

But he nevertheless received a citation in the mail for $137,000.

“I was shocked,” said Wang, whose first language is Mandarin and spoke to CapRadio through an interpreter. “I was scared.”

His case isn’t unique. The city has issued about $94 million in administrative penalties against property owners for illegal cannabis cultivation since August 2017.

It’s collected $5.5 million from those fines, as hundreds of property owners have challenged more than $50 million of the penalties. Dozens of them say they rented to tenants who operated the illegal grows without their knowledge, despite following best practices as a landlord.

Some critics allege the city’s enforcement efforts have turned into a money-making scheme.

Scott Radcliffe, a partner at Alves Radcliffe LLP who represents a rental property owner, calls the city’s fines “grossly draconian” and “a clear abuse of government power.”

“It’s essentially a grab bag for as much money as they can get,” he said.

CapRadio spoke to a dozen defense attorneys representing property owners who received these fines. They acknowledge illegal grow houses are a danger and should be mitigated. But they argue the city’s penalties violate the California and U.S. constitutions, which prohibit excessive fines.

Penalties against individual property owners typically range from $100,000 to $500,000, and some exceed $1 million. The $94 million in assessed penalties dwarfs the $17 million the city brought in through taxes on the legal cannabis industry in the last two years.

Sacramento only issues fines against property owners, not the tenants suspected of growing the cannabis. Defense attorneys argue the city targets landlords so it can go after their assets — including their home — if a fine is challenged or goes unpaid. The citation itself warns that a lien may be placed on the property if the fines go unpaid.

wang-citation.jpg

The citation against Zuhu Wang from the city of Sacramento.Courtesy Zuhu Wang
Sacramento attorney Todd Leras represents five rental property owners who were hit with more than $1.2 million in combined penalties for their tenants’ illegal grows.

“This has the ability to be devastating to anyone who owns a home and decides to rent it,” the former county and federal prosecutor and public defender said.

City Attorney Susana Alcala Wood says her office is simply upholding local laws aimed at minimizing the black market for cannabis, and the problems that come with it, such as burglaries.

“It’s an illegal activity that’s occurring in Sacramento that’s creating a lot of havoc in the neighborhoods,” she said. “The [City] Council adopted an ordinance that said these are the penalties, and we’re going to enforce that.”

Wang says the city’s $137,000 penalty, and his experience challenging it, has taken a toll on his family — and not just economically. His wife grew sick from the stress, he says, and it also weighed on him emotionally.

“The psychological impact has been tremendous,” Wang said. “The process took so long, and it has caused us so much worry — and I still worry about it all the time.”

How Sacramento Penalizes Homeowners For Tenants That Grow Illegal Pot
In August 2017 — only a few months after Wang purchased his new home — Sacramento adopted an ordinance allowing residents to grow a maximum of six cannabis plants in their homes.

Previously, it allowed indoor cultivation of medical marijuana on up to 400-square-feet per residence.

The new law came with a steep penalty for violators: a $500 fine for each plant over the limit.

The city based this on the estimated street value of the cannabis that could be harvested from a single plant. At the time, city staff said the more aggressive ordinance aimed to minimize crime — including violent incidents — associated with illegal grows.

But curbing illegal cultivation, and limiting how much residents could grow in their own homes, was also in the city’s financial interest.

When voters passed Proposition 64 in 2016 and sales of recreational cannabis began two years later, it came with the promise of a potential tax windfall for California cities and counties. Limiting how much residents could legally grow in their homes could ensure more business for Sacramento’s dispensaries — and therefore more tax revenue for the city.

Sacramento has wrestled with the issue of illegal grow houses in recent years. In July 2017, federal agents raided nine illegal grow homes in the city, yielding more than 7,500 plants. Another federal bust in early 2018 targeted about 100 houses in the Sacramento region, turning up more than 60,000 plants.

Those kinds of federal cases, which often establish connections between grow houses and organized crime, take months and sometimes years to build. But the city’s new ordinance against illegal cultivation allowed Sacramento’s city attorneys to swiftly apply massive fines to property owners, avoiding the messiness of criminal prosecutions and civil forfeiture proceedings.

Malcolm Segal, an area defense attorney and former federal prosecutor with more than 50 years of legal experience, says the penalties can be devastating for innocent rental property owners.

He has represented several landlords whose tenants were caught illegally growing cannabis and says all of them faced the prospect of losing their rental homes as a result of the fines. Even the smallest penalty, he says, “more likely than not takes away all of the equity the owners have accumulated” in the home.

He argues the enforcement program has turned into a “revenue tool” for Sacramento.

“This city is trying to do something exemplary: They want to prevent people from illegally growing marijuana on residential property,” said Segal. “But the methodology they’ve chosen [and] the fines they want to impose are really excessive.”

Monty Agarwal, a Bay Area-based attorney who represents Wang, the San Francisco bus driver, agrees.

“It’s morphed into a little bit of a money grab. It’s a source of funding,” he said.

Agarwal filed a lawsuit against the city in Sacramento County court last week on behalf of Wang. The complaint includes an array of allegations, including that the city’s fines are unconstitutional and discriminatory against Asian-Americans. His demands include the return of all funds collected through the administrative penalties to homeowners.

City Attorney Wood told CapRadio she does not believe the fines are unconstitutionally excessive. When asked if she could elaborate on her position, she offered a single word in response: “Nope.”

But as the city ramped up its enforcement efforts, officials took notice of the money at stake.

At a City Council hearing in April 2018, Mayor Darrell Steinberg seized on the $12.8 million in fines the city had issued thus far. He said due process was essential for anyone challenging the penalties, but that collection of the fines should be “a high priority.”

“Because that’s twelve-point-eight million bucks, and … we’re going to have a budget this year that is going to be lean,” Steinberg said.

Over the next 15 months, the city would assess another $81 million in fines.

“Illegal residential cultivation undermines our efforts to maintain a legal marketplace and industry that is safe and regulated,” Steinberg told CapRadio in an emailed statement. “There must be consequences for bad actors that are skirting city and state laws, just like any other industry. Fines are one of those consequences.”

Steinberg did not comment on defense attorneys’ allegations that the fines are excessive and have turned into a revenue stream for the city.

The city says money collected from the fines goes to the Office of Cannabis Management, City Attorney’s Office and the city’s Justice for Neighbors program, which aims to hold property owners accountable for nuisances. A public records request seeking more detailed information about how the city spends the money is pending.

At the same City Council hearing in April 2018, the city made a critical change to its cultivation laws. Defense attorneys argue the change makes it easier for the city to defeat challenges from landlords who acted responsibly.

The amended statute prohibits anyone from owning or renting a property where cannabis is “knowingly or unknowingly” being cultivated.

That means a property owner can be held responsible for illegal grows operated by a tenant, even if they can prove they did not know about it.

“I think the change was intentional to allow the city to go after more pots of money,” said Radcliffe. “The statute puts the onus on the landlords to a point that is unrealistic and potentially could make them violate tenants’ rights.”

The amended code was tucked into a broader proposal aimed at addressing illegal cultivation on commercial properties. City Council members did not discuss the issue of property owners’ knowledge and culpability — either failing to recognize the significance of the amendment, or failing to notice it at all.

In a recent interview, Councilman Eric Guerra, whose district is home to many of the property’s targeted by the city, said he has no issue with the approach to illegal cultivation enforcement.

“I think we should have been even more aggressive on the penalties,” he told CapRadio last week. “If an absentee landlord is being dinged, it’s because they’re not doing a good job [and] contributing to the degradation of a neighborhood.”

Guerra says he believes it’s “inconceivable” that a landlord would not know about an illegal grow on their property. He adds that the city has a hearing process where property owners can challenge a penalty and tell their side of the story.

CapRadio reviewed more than 100 decisions from the appeals-hearing process. Some property owners were involved or facilitated the growing of cannabis, and some acted negligently.

The city also reduced about half-a-dozen penalties to zero dollars, siding with the property owners who claimed innocence. But dozens of rental property owners who argued and presented evidence that they acted in good faith as landlords had their appeals rejected and faced financially debilitating fines.

Wang says the process offered him little opportunity to secure his innocence.

‘I Respect The Law’
After purchasing his new home, Wang hired a property manager recommended by his real estate agent. The manager spoke Mandarin, oversaw more than 150 properties and had more than 10 years of experience in the region. The company advertised the property and ran a background check on a prospective tenant, which came back clean, according to Wang. The tenant signed a lease that explicitly prohibited the illicit manufacturing, selling or storage of drugs.

“When I entrusted the property to the property management company, I told them, ‘Please, absolutely make sure the tenant you find for this property does not engage in this kind of activity,” Wang said.

He and the property manager inspected the house when the tenant first moved in. Four months into the lease, Wang says the property manager did a follow-up inspection to check the smoke detectors. During several trips to Sacramento, Wang also drove by the property to inspect it from the outside. Each time, everything looked normal.

He did not register the property with the city’s Rental Housing Inspection Program, which conducts periodic inspections of rental units, because properties under five years old are exempt.

In September 2018, an investigator at the Sacramento Municipal Utility District noticed high electricity consumption at the property and a pattern that indicated an illegal grow. The high usage started four months after the tenant moved in.

The Sacramento Police Department and City Attorney’s Office heavily rely on SMUD to help identify potential grow houses and provide evidence for search warrants. Electricity bills are almost always in a tenant’s name, and property owners — like Wang — are prohibited from accessing information about usage.

A Sacramento police officer surveilled the house for about 30 minutes after receiving the tip from SMUD. He didn’t see anything suspicious. Law enforcement didn’t notify Wang about the potential grow at the property. Instead, they obtained a search warrant and raided the home. Police found 281 plants inside and left a citation for $137,000 on the kitchen counter.

Property owners have 30 days to pay the penalty or face a lien placed on their home. If they want to appeal, they have to notify the city within 20 days.

The city mailed Wang a copy of the citation, but he was visiting family in China at the time and had his mail on hold. He didn’t receive the citation for several weeks. The city denied his request for an appeal and sent him an invoice for the full $137,000.

Agarwal took the city to court. After several months, a judge ordered the city to hold an administrative appeal hearing.

At the hearing in May, Wang testified he had no awareness or suspicion that his tenant was growing cannabis in the house. He argues he took the necessary steps of a responsible landlord, while respecting laws protecting tenant privacy.

But those efforts meant little to the City Attorney’s Office.

“[Mr. Wang] owned and leased the property upon which the illegal cannabis was found,” argued deputy city attorney Melissa Bickel during the hearing. “Whether that was done so knowingly or unknowingly makes no difference.”

In her decision, the hearing examiner, who was hired by the city, said the application of the penalty was valid, but reduced it to $35,000 in light of evidence and testimony.

The reduction was substantial — but so was the remaining amount, Wang’s attorney argues. It took him 20 years to save up $90,000 for a down payment on the house. In a matter of months, more than a third of it would be wiped out by the actions of a rogue tenant, despite Wang’s best efforts to be a responsible landlord.

On top of that, he still had monthly mortgage payments to make.

After the nearly year-long saga trying to resolve the penalty, and the emotional toll it took on his family, Wang chose to pay the reduced fine. He says the decision was an effort to move on — though Agarwal has challenged the reduced fine in court.

“I paid the $35,000 because I respect the law,” he said. “I can’t say I agree with their decision — but I respect the law.”

Wang says the penalty will cause him to push off his retirement for at least several years.

Days after he paid the penalty, the city mistakenly put a $35,000 lien on his house, which took weeks to resolve — only after the threat of further legal action.

"Some critics allege the city’s enforcement efforts have turned into a money-making scheme. "

Oh....how startling. Can this be true? Really? FFS

Its what Government in the new millennial do....they take money any way that they can so that they can spend money on things that ensure segments of the electorate will vote for them. Also, its easier than actually balancing a budget.

My favorite is Civil Asset Forfeiture which, under any and all understanding of basic American values, is contemptible and reprehensible.

A Man Died in Prison After Serving 26 Years for Cannabis

It seems unfair and tragic that people still sit in jail for cannabis crimes when the plant has been legalized in so many places that millions of adults across North America can legally and safely use cannabis for either recreational or medical purposes.

Unfortunately, social justice attached to cannabis legalization has been much slower to spread than legalization itself. Thousands of non-violent offenders still sit in prison, convicted of cannabis offenses that arguably wouldn’t results in a conviction or lengthy sentence today. Millions of others live in reduced circumstances because of the lasting effects of a long-ago drug conviction.

For some individuals, their cannabis criminal sentence is actually a death sentence. And that is tragically what happened for Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda. Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda entered the United States as a Cuban refugee in 1980. He eventually began working as a laborer and got caught up in a massive trafficking bust while he was making only $50 a day. Thanks to conspiracy charges, he ended up paying the price for crimes very likely committed by someone else. Even if he were directly responsible for smuggling cannabis, that crime pales in comparison to the punishment he served.

In 1993, Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda wound up sentenced to life in prison, and he stayed in prison throughout his remaining years. Over time, his health began steadily deteriorating. Despite multiple pleas for clemency on his behalf, nothing ever materialized to help him, and he eventually went through hospice care while still in state custody. His issues were no doubt in part due to a language barrier, as he could neither read nor write in English.

Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda came to the United States seeking a better life. Unfortunately, he ended up spending more time incarcerated in North Carolina then living free here in the United States. On August 28, 2019, Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda passed away at 80 years of age. He had been locked up since he was 54 and never received either clemency nor compassionate release.

The tragic outcome in Leopoldo Hernandez-Miranda’s story should be a clarion call to all of us that those who are still serving unfair sentences deserve immediate action and clemency and that no legalization measure that does not address those unfairly incarcerated for nonviolent cannabis crimes is doing enough to undo the wrongs that prohibition cause.

Marijuana Arrests Increased Again Last Year Despite More States Legalizing, FBI Data Shows

Marijuana arrests keep going up in the U.S. even though more states are enacting cannabis legalization laws.

Man with drug bud and handcuffs closeup

GETTY

According to new data released by the FBI on Monday, there were 663,367 marijuana arrests in the country in 2018.

That's one every 48 seconds, and represents an uptick from the 659,700 cannabis busts American police made in 2017, and from 2016's total of 653,249.

The jump comes despite the fact that there are now 11 states where marijuana is legal for adults over 21.

The 2018 arrest numbers were compiled too late to have reflected much of the impact of Michigan’s November vote to legalize, and certainly don’t take into account Illinois’s subsequent move to end prohibition this year. But the data, along with those from past years, show that U.S. police are making an increasing number of annual cannabis arrests even as public attitudes and state laws move rapidly in the other direction.

Prior to 2016, the country had seen a steady decline in cannabis arrests for roughly a decade, according to the annual FBI reports.

“Americans should be outraged that police departments across the country continue to waste tax dollars and limited law enforcement resources on arresting otherwise law-abiding citizens for simple marijuana possession,” NORML Executive Director Erik Altieri said.

The new numbers are part of FBI's Uniform Crime Report system, and come with the caveat that they only represent arrests from those local police agencies who participate by sending in data to the federal government.

Of last year's marijuana arrests, 608,775, or almost 92 percent, were for possession alone.

U.S. police made 1,654,282 total drug arrests in 2018, or about one every 19 seconds.

FBI drug arrest data.

FBI.

There were more busts for marijuana last year than arrests for aggravated assault, burglary, arson, fraud, disorderly conduct or sex offenses, among other crime categories.

Meanwhile, police only cleared 33 percent of rapes, 30 percent of robberies and 14 percent of burglaries by making an arrest.

“Prohibition is a failed and racist policy that should be relegated to the dust bin of history,” Altieri, of NORML, said. “An overwhelming majority of Americans from all political persuasions want to see it brought to an end. Instead of continuing the disastrous practices of the past, it is time lawmakers at all levels begin to honor the will of their constituents and support a sensible marijuana policy focused on legalization and regulation.”

Drug busts made up more than 16 percent of all arrests in the U.S. in 2018, the FBI reported.

These politicians will say anything to get elected. Legalized coke and smack. GREAT fucking idea, Tulis( fucking NOT).

I'm def not going into details, but I speak from in depth experience with these two substances and don't want to hear shit from a lifelong teetotler who has no idea what its like to be strung out on junk or hallucinating and geeking out in cocaine psychosis. I would wager she has not had any dear friends lose their lives to this shit.

If you think I have strong opinions about this position and the person advocating it, rest assured that this is a highly restrained comment so as to not put @momofthegoons in an awkward moderator position.

Tulsi Gabbard Says Country Should Move To Legalize Drugs Like Cocaine And Heroin
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) says the U.S. should move towards legalizing drugs other than marijuana, with a caveat.

In an interview published on Tuesday, the 2020 presidential candidate was asked whether she favors legalizing drugs beyond cannabis, including cocaine and heroin, and she answered in the affirmative. However, she suggested that selling such substances should still be criminalized, raising questions about what kind of legalization model she’s envisioning.

“I’ve never smoked marijuana. I never will,” Gabbard said. “I’ve never drank alcohol. I’ve chosen not to in my life. This is about free choice, and if somebody wants to do that, our country should not be making a criminal out of them.”

“So once we’re an adult, we own our own bodies and we ought to be able to poison them if we want?” television personality John Stossel asked.
“Yes,” Gabbard said.

“But you haven’t proposed legalizing heroin or cocaine,” he responded.

“I think that’s the direction that we need to take while still criminalizing those who are traffickers and dealers of these drugs,” the congresswoman said.
Stossel pushed back on that point and asked Gabbard if maintaining criminal penalties against people who sell drugs that are legal is hypocritical.
“No, it’s not at all,” she said. “I think there’s a difference here where you have those who are profiting off of selling substances that are harmful to others as opposed to those who are making those choices on their own to do what they wish with their bodies.”

It’s possible that the congresswoman’s answer conflated the idea of legalization, which typically includes a way for consumers to purchase regulated drugs, with simple decriminalization of possession.

The interview also touched on Gabbard’s critique of Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) during a Democratic presidential debate in July. The congresswoman said that, as a prosecutor, Harris “put over 1,500 people in jail for marijuana violations and laughed about it when she was asked if she ever smoked marijuana.”

Gabbard’s latest comments on drug policy could come up in the next debate, which she qualified for, on October 15. Previously, the candidate, who has been a leader on marijuana reform in Congress, had simply declined to rule out broad decriminalization of other drugs when asked at a town hall event.

South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg, who is also running for the Democratic nomination, included planks supported decriminalization of all drug possession in platforms his campaign released this year, along with a pledge to get it done in the first term of his presidency.

In contrast, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT), who made history by becoming the first major party presidential candidate to endorse cannabis legalization in 2015, said in recent weeks that he’s not yet willing to support decriminalizing drugs beyond marijuana.

“I agree with those folks who are moving in the direction of a decriminalizing at least marijuana right now,” he said in August.
But according to Gabbard, the country needs to move much further.

To that end, Oregon voters may see a measure on their 2020 ballots to decriminalize possession of all drugs, while California activists are working to qualify an initiative to remove criminal penalties for psilocybin, the active ingredient in psychedelic mushrooms.

Denver and Oakland enacted policies this year focused on psychedelics decriminalization.

Last edited:
Another entry in the category of hypocrisy, mendacity, and self-serving....I present to yet another slime bag Congress person butting in for their place at the trough.

Former Congressman Who Fought Marijuana Legalization Joins Cannabis Company Board

A former GOP congressman with a long track record of opposing marijuana legalization efforts is now cashing in on the legal cannabis industry.

FSD Pharma, a Canadian company that is a licensed producer of “pharmaceutical grade cannabis” through its subsidiary FV Pharma and researches cannabinoid-based therapies, announced on Friday that former Rep. Steve Buyer (R-IN) joined its board of directors. Missing from the press release is mention of his legislative history that includes repeated actions to oppose federal protections for state-level marijuana reforms.

From 1998 to 2000, Buyer cosponsored two resolutions and one bill aimed at condemning legalization and upholding federal prohibition. His opposition extended to limited medical cannabis reforms, too, voting five times from 2003 to 2007 against an amendment to protect state laws and the patients and providers complying with them from federal prosecution.

One of the anti-marijuana resolutions he signed onto passed the House but did not advance in the Senate. As introduced, it characterized cannabis as “both dangerous and addictive” and stated that “Congress is unequivocally opposed to legalizing marijuana for medicinal use, and urges the defeat of State initiatives that would seek to legalize marijuana for medicinal use.”

The version that passed, which Buyer voted for, expressed concerns that “ambiguous cultural messages about marijuana use are contributing to a growing acceptance of marijuana use among children and teenagers” and noting that federal authorities can enforce prohibition “through seizure and other civil action, as well as through criminal penalties.”

The separate bill he cosponsored sought to declare state laws that allow cannabis use as “null and void.”

t is the intent of the Congress to supersede any and all laws of the States and units of local government insofar as they may now or hereafter effectively permit or purport to authorize the use, growing, manufacture, distribution, or importation by an individual or group of marijuana or any controlled substance which differs from the provisions of the Controlled Substances Act and the Controlled Substances Import and Export Act or regulations issued pursuant thereto,” it read.

It’s not quite clear what changed for Buyer, but his appointment to the board of a major marijuana company that has benefitted from the successful reform movement he opposed is sure to raise questions.

In response to Marijuana Moment’s query about what accounted for the former congressman’s evolution on the issue, FSD Pharma President Zeeshan Saeed simply replied, “3M options as all other Directors and $40k cash comp.”

71942501_2692009070839009_3428123577180749824_n-1024x511.png

Hours later, Saeed clarified that he intended to send that reply to another journalist.

Raza Bokhari, executive co-chairman and CEO of FSD Pharma, said in a subsequent email that he’s known Buyer for years and believes that while he “remains opposed to recreational use of cannabis,” he “has come to recognize the potential of cannabinoid molecule in drug development targeting auto-immune diseases, especially the role of synthetic cannabinoids and other cannabinoids targeting the endocannibinoid system of the human body.”

The former congressman has been on “a very personal journey, with his wife being plagued with an auto-immune disease that has no cure and others in her family also that suffer from auto-immune diseases,” Bokhari said.

He added that Buyer has personally invested a quarter of a million dollars in the company and compared him to former House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH), who also joined the marijuana industry after opposing cannabis reform while serving in Congress.

In a press release announcing the appointment, Buyer said the “opportunity to participate in FSD’s growth at this stage is exciting” and that he’s “attracted by FSD’s medical research to tame and define the unknown by challenging the edges of medical science to provide relief to people suffering from fibromyalgia and other serious illnesses.”

One industry that the former congressman’s actions did assist while in office and later went on to work for as a lobbyist is Big Tobacco. Buyer raised eyebrows in 2009 when he opposed legislation to regulate the tobacco industry and argued in a House floor speech that a person is just as likely to experience the health consequences of cigarettes if they were to smoke dried lettuce or grass. He insisted that it’s “smoke that kills, not the nicotine.”

Shortly after retiring, Buyer joined tobacco company Reynolds American as a lobbyist and paid consultant.

There have been several reports that noted Buyer’s decision not to run for reelection in 2010 came amid controversy over a foundation he founded. The Frontier Foundation was supposed to provide educational funding for students, but while it raked in tens of thousands from pharmaceutical interests such as Ely Lilly and PhRMA over a three-year period, it reportedly hadn’t distributed a single scholarship.

His retirement came months after USA Today and the Indianapolis Star reported on the foundation’s activities.

But now, Buyer is entering the cannabis space, and the company described his experience in the pharmaceutical industry and Congress as an asset.

“In welcoming Steve Buyer to the FSD Pharma Board of Directors and announcing a share consolidation, the Company has made an immense positive stride forward” FSD Pharma CEO Raza Bokhari said. “Steve’s addition has further strengthened the independence and profile of the FSD Pharma Board of Directors; his broad leadership experience and pharmaceutical industry relationships will help enhance our visibility, especially among U.S. Institutional investors and on U.S. Capitol Hill.”

Buyer also previously served as a special assistant U.S. attorney and an Indiana deputy attorney general.

Well, I suppose when the students start wetting themselves in class she may rethink this.

Florida School Principal Won’t Allow Bathroom Breaks Because Of Vaping
At a high school in Palm Beach County, Florida, the vaping crisis has claimed an unexpected casualty: bathroom breaks.

1572364284795.png

Dr. Colleen Iannitti/ JHS Student News on Youtube

This week, Dr. Colleen Iannitti, the principal at Jupiter High School in Palm Beach County, Florida, broke the news to students that there will be no more bathroom breaks due to vaping. Under the new policy, they will have to use the restroom in the six minutes allotted in between periods. There will be no bathroom breaks during class, save for emergencies, in which case the student will be escorted by an assistant principal.

Widespread e-cigarette use, Iannitti insisted, left the school no choice.

“Since last year, we’ve had a huge problem, and the problem is with vaping in the bathrooms,” Iannitti told students during the school’s daily video announcements for Thursday. “Many of you are just going to the bathrooms so you can meet up with your friends and smoke and vape and do all those kinds of things that you shouldn’t be doing in the bathroom.”

Iannitti claimed that students have been rushed to the emergency room “on a weekly basis” due to “something that they smoked in one of our bathrooms.”

“Every single day, since school started, we have found a student, or multiple students, in our bathrooms who have been vaping,” she said.

“It is a huge problem,” Iannitti added. “That is the reason why we’re asking teachers not to allow you out of class like they normally would because when you’re left out of class and just calling your friends and going to the bathrooms and vaping, kids are getting seriously ill from it.”

New Policy Echoes Vaping Concerns in the U.S.

Adults across America—from lawmakers to parents, administrators to doctors—have sounded the alarm over e-cigarette use among youth, particularly amid a surge in hospitalizations and deaths related to vaping. But while those concerns are well-founded, the new policy at Jupiter High seems…a bit extreme. It takes only a moment of consideration to see how the restrictive rules are problematic—whether for students with disabilities, pregnant students, or transgender students for whom trips to the bathroom may already bring about stress.

Iannitti said she has heard from many parents who are concerned about the vaping problem, but local news channel WPTV reports that some parents of Jupiter students also harbor some misgivings with the new rules.

“I understand the concern from the school’s point of view, I just don’t know if it’s the most efficient or effective privacy matter as far as having someone follow you around when you use the restroom,” said parent Jeff Glassgold, as quoted by WPTV.

Iannitti indicated that the bathroom restrictions could be loosened, telling students in the video that they will be expected to follow the new rules “for the next few weeks and see if we can get students to stop vaping in our bathroom.”

What a total crock of crap. We have Liberty in our MD Med Program and they had these really nice color coded jars...very pretty and color coded by indica, indica leaning hybrid, etc. Well, about a year ago they stopped using the jars and went with those, IMO, crappy plastic containers (got to fill those land fills with plastic, right...sigh). When I asked why, they told me that their last shipment...a really LARGE shipment....was seized by customs.

So, those fucking idiots we hired to represent us in Congress make Nero look like an amateur at fiddling while it burns down around you.

I bet if Boehner's company had jars seized, he would be all over Washington busting chops. You and me, they tell to fuck off. Yeah?

Customs seizes glassware bound for Washington state’s legal marijuana markets

Hundreds of thousands of dollars of glass jars and other packaging were seized in Washington state by federal customs agents, according to several licensed marijuana businesses.

The seizures, in Tacoma, Washington, raise concerns that state-lawful cannabis businesses are being unfairly targeted for importing what they believe are legal goods.

The recent action was reported by The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, based on documentation provided by attorneys of some of the companies.

An official with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection denied there’s a new policy to seize goods meant for the state’s legal cannabis markets.

Much of the glassware is imported from China, which has been involved in a lengthy trade dispute with the United States.

The Washington Cannabusiness Association told the Spokesman-Review that it is working with federal officials to try to resolve the issue.

“While I can’t share an exact number of affected businesses, we have heard from several of our members who have been affected,” association spokesman Aaron Pickus wrote in an email to the newspaper.

Washington marijuana businesses report glass jars, packaging seized by U.S. Customs agents

Multiple marijuana businesses licensed by the state of Washington are reporting their shipments of glass jars and other packaging is being seized as drug paraphernalia by federal agents at the port of entry in Tacoma.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection, in response to the claims, is denying any new action to stop shipments bound for companies operating within Washington’s recreational or medicinal markets. The federal agency, responsible for enforcing federal trade laws at points of entry in the United States, reiterated that marijuana remains illegal per the U.S. code.

“CBP is not putting a new emphasis on identifying overseas shipments to licensed marijuana businesses in Washington state,” said Jason Givens, a spokesman for the agency based in Seattle, in an emailed response last week to questions about seizures.

A spokeswoman for the Port of Tacoma said via email Tuesday they weren’t “aware of any seizures for this commodity through our gateway.”
But Washington attorneys and the firms they represent provided documentation to The Spokesman-Review showing seizures of glassware valued in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in September. The companies provided the information on condition of anonymity, concerned about future actions by federal agents that would interrupt their supply of packaging materials for the drug.

Seized materials included spice jars and glass vials that bore no markings indicating they were bound for a marijuana producer and processor, representatives of the companies said.

Those types of materials are not explicitly listed among the items prohibited from import by federal law, which is instead focused on methods of delivery including pipes and bongs, said Aaron Pelley, an attorney for the firm Cultiva Law based in Seattle who said he’s heard from several affected businesses.
“If you read the case law, and what federal drug paraphernalia is defined as, glass jars are not contemplated,” Pelley said.

Pelley disputed Customs’ claims that policies hadn’t changed, noting he’d never received phone calls from businesses with issues about glass shipments until recently.
But the agency has reportedly seized other types of marijuana-related products in the past.

In 2017, the manufacturers of a childproof storage bag for marijuana based in Colorado reported Customs agents there seized $16,000 worth of product as drug paraphernalia, according to a story that appeared in Inc. magazine.

The Washington Cannabusiness Association, a trade group that advocates on behalf of the state’s legal marijuana providers, also confirmed it was working with businesses affected by the seizures.

“We are continuing to work with appropriate federal officials to resolve the issues as soon as possible for all affected businesses,” said Aaron Pickus, a spokesman for the association, in an email. “While I can’t share an exact number of affected businesses, we have heard from several of our members who have been affected.”
The reported seizures are occurring at a time when the Border Patrol is reporting far fewer and less marijuana seized at ports of entry than in previous years, suggesting legalization in a number of U.S. states has reduced the amount of the drug that people are trying to smuggle into the country.

In 2014, the year legal sales began in Washington and Colorado, the agency reported seizing 1.9 million pounds of marijuana. In 2018, agents confiscated a little less than 267,000 pounds, a reduction of nearly 86%.

The jars and packaging Washington companies reported seizedwere mostly imported from China, where glass is cheaper than similar products produced in America. The disruptions in recent weeks were the first time many companies reported having trouble importing the products for packaging.

Businesses receive a letter indicating their product has been seized. Givens did not provide data on the number of seizures that had occurred in recent weeks, but the federal government publishes a list of seized items online daily that includes items taken at each port of entry, along with a legal citation for the law allegedly violated.
On Oct. 23, the agency reported multiple seizures of contraband at the port of Tacoma between the dates of July 30 and Aug. 14. They included shipments of glass bongs, promotional bags and grinders, among other items. Some were valued at more than $1 million.

Shipment owners may petition to have their property returned to them, but to do so they must post a bond of $5,000 or 10% of the shipment’s assessed value, whichever is less.

The success of the petition is also not guaranteed. Previous administrative and court rulings have given Border Protection far-reaching authority to seize products involved in the federally illegal marijuana industry, despite a provision in the law that provides an exemption for “any person authorized by local, State, or Federal law to manufacture, possess, or distribute such items.”

A 2017 opinion authored by Lisa Burley, a branch chief with the Border Protection’s Office of Trade, Regulations and Rulings, found the importation of a marijuana vaporizing product to Colorado violated the federal code on importation because the exemption only applied to products that “have some legitimate, lawful use that is both unconnected to narcotics and explicitly recognized by statute.”

That interpretation would seem to exempt the jars and packaging reportedly seized from Washington businesses. But a subsequent court ruling, authored by a federal judge in New Mexico in December, found that exemption only protected people from criminal prosecutions. The government could still seize items tied to drugs as a civil matter, the judge ruled.

Pelley said he’s working with affected businesses on potential legal options, but in many cases getting the seized glass materials back would cost more in legal fees than they’re worth, he said. Those who own a seized product have 30 days to file a petition seeking restitution of their products.

Well, I suppose when the students start wetting themselves in class she may rethink this.

Florida School Principal Won’t Allow Bathroom Breaks Because Of Vaping
At a high school in Palm Beach County, Florida, the vaping crisis has claimed an unexpected casualty: bathroom breaks.

View attachment 14210
Dr. Colleen Iannitti/ JHS Student News on Youtube

This week, Dr. Colleen Iannitti, the principal at Jupiter High School in Palm Beach County, Florida, broke the news to students that there will be no more bathroom breaks due to vaping. Under the new policy, they will have to use the restroom in the six minutes allotted in between periods. There will be no bathroom breaks during class, save for emergencies, in which case the student will be escorted by an assistant principal.

Widespread e-cigarette use, Iannitti insisted, left the school no choice.

“Since last year, we’ve had a huge problem, and the problem is with vaping in the bathrooms,” Iannitti told students during the school’s daily video announcements for Thursday. “Many of you are just going to the bathrooms so you can meet up with your friends and smoke and vape and do all those kinds of things that you shouldn’t be doing in the bathroom.”

Iannitti claimed that students have been rushed to the emergency room “on a weekly basis” due to “something that they smoked in one of our bathrooms.”

“Every single day, since school started, we have found a student, or multiple students, in our bathrooms who have been vaping,” she said.

“It is a huge problem,” Iannitti added. “That is the reason why we’re asking teachers not to allow you out of class like they normally would because when you’re left out of class and just calling your friends and going to the bathrooms and vaping, kids are getting seriously ill from it.”

New Policy Echoes Vaping Concerns in the U.S.

Adults across America—from lawmakers to parents, administrators to doctors—have sounded the alarm over e-cigarette use among youth, particularly amid a surge in hospitalizations and deaths related to vaping. But while those concerns are well-founded, the new policy at Jupiter High seems…a bit extreme. It takes only a moment of consideration to see how the restrictive rules are problematic—whether for students with disabilities, pregnant students, or transgender students for whom trips to the bathroom may already bring about stress.

Iannitti said she has heard from many parents who are concerned about the vaping problem, but local news channel WPTV reports that some parents of Jupiter students also harbor some misgivings with the new rules.

“I understand the concern from the school’s point of view, I just don’t know if it’s the most efficient or effective privacy matter as far as having someone follow you around when you use the restroom,” said parent Jeff Glassgold, as quoted by WPTV.

Iannitti indicated that the bathroom restrictions could be loosened, telling students in the video that they will be expected to follow the new rules “for the next few weeks and see if we can get students to stop vaping in our bathroom.”
Oh, nice white lady...for the children!
what an incredibly bad idea...being in charge is no solution

What a crock of crap.

Cronos paid $300 million for a small CBD company, and CEO’s private-equity firm stands to collect $120 million of it

Cronos paid $300 million for a small CBD company, and CEO’s private-equity firm stands to collect $120 million of it

When Canadian cannabis company Cronos Group Inc. bought U.S. CBD startup Lord Jones for $300 million, the deal was noteworthy for two reasons: (1.) that the acquisition price was equal to 75 to 150 times the young company’s 2018 revenue of between $2 million and $4 million, according to a person familiar with the matter, and (2.) that a fund co-founded by Cronos’s CEO and a longtime director stood to collect 40% of the purchase price, including more than $20 million in fees.

Cronos CRON, +3.03% CRON, +3.96%, one of Canada’s five biggest licensed cannabis producers, announced the acquisition of the 2-year-old startup in August.

As cannabis market leader Canopy Growth Corp. has attracted a $4 billion investment from beer, wine and spirits giant Constellation Brands STZ, +0.40%, Cronos has a $1.8 billion investment from tobacco company Altria Group Inc. MO, +1.14%, arming it with a war chest to fund acquisitions and grow its business. Altria paid that sum to acquire a 45% stake in Cronos along with warrants that, if exercised, would raise that stake to 55%. The investment, made in December of 2018, gave Altria an exclusive partnership in the cannabis sector just months after Canada fully legalized weed.

Cronos’ CEO, Michael Gorenstein, and board member Jason Adler also have a private-equity firm called Gotham Green Partners that paid $12.8 million for a 40% stake in Lord Jones, according to a document reviewed by MarketWatch. Gotham Green used the document as what a cannabis industry investor described as a “pitch deck” for potential investors in one of its funds. Gotham Green stood to make $21 million in fees, based on the management-fee structure outlined in the document, from a $107.2 million profit on the increase in value of Lord Jones shares. Gorenstein and Adler recused themselves from the negotiations, which were conducted by a special committee, the majority of which were Altria appointees, according to a filing with the Canadian regulator.

According to another filing with Canadian regulators, Gotham Green’s Goreinstein disclosed receiving roughly $23 million in Cronos stock — 40% of the stock included in the deal, which was $225 million in cash and $75 million in stock — identifying it as “related to an acquisition or disposition pursuant to a takeover bid or acquisition” on Sept. 5, the day the Lord Jones acquisition closed.

“In connection with the transaction Gotham Green will receive consideration commensurate with its ownership stake in Redwood,” Cronos spokeswoman Anna Shlimak wrote in an email to MarketWatch. “Like all general partners in Gotham Green, Mike Gorenstein will be compensated accordingly.”

Lord Jones sold $2 million to $4 million in CBD products in 2018, according to a person familiar with Lord Jones’s revenue, which would mean the deal was worth 75 to 150 times the startup’s annual revenue for the most recently completed year. Cronos has not released financial information about Lord Jones and did not comment on its revenue.

A person familiar with the private company’s revenue said that its sales will grow “significantly” from that total this year, declining to elaborate further. Another person familiar with Lord Jones revenue said it achieved a monthly run rate of $2 million around the time Cronos announced its intention to buy the company.

Lord Jones — founded in 2017 by California married couple Robert Rosenheck and Cindy Capobianco — approached Cronos for the sale, after its co-founders decided that it needed a partner to expand the business, a Cronos spokeswoman said in an email to MarketWatch.

For more: Cronos CEO on Altria deal, weed drinks and the rise of CBD

The special committee negotiated the deal and voted unanimously in favor of it, according to Cronos. Altria signed off on the transaction, as is required of any deal in which Cronos engages that is valued at more than C$100 million ($76.6 million), according to the company’s rights agreement.

“We believe that with this investment Cronos is well-positioned in the rapidly growing U.S. hemp-based CBD products category,” Altria spokesman George Parman said in an email message. Altria declined to comment on the multiple, referring questions to Cronos, which declined to comment.

Lord Jones sells CBD products such as beauty and skin-care products, tinctures and edibles abroad and in the U.S., at such retail outlets as Sephora and the Standard Hotel, according to the document.

See also: Three things you need to know about CBD

The price Cronos agreed to pay for Lord Jones appears higher than the valuations other investors have granted larger companies interested or involved in the CBD-products business. Tilray Inc. TLRY, +1.09% bought hemp-products maker Manitoba Harvest for up to C$419 million, with plans to launch a line of CBD products. Manitoba Harvest has a mature hemp business with C$94 million in 2018 revenue, resulting in a narrower price-to-revenue multiple than Lord Jones’s apparent valuation on this basis.

Charlotte’s Web Holdings Inc. CWBHF, +2.96% CWEB, +2.98% is the largest CBD-focused public company by market value at $1.25 billion, roughly 18 times its 2018 sales of $69.5 million. PI Financial analyst Jason Zandberg said companies that are focused on CBD, such as Charlotte’s Web, in general trade at higher multiples versus their counterparts involved in marijuana.

Zandberg wrote in an email that current sales multiples for U.S. cannabis companies are 2.7 times full year 2020 revenue for the largest marijuana companies, 1.4 times sales for mid-size weed businesses and 0.9 times revenue for the smallest. Private companies are typically discounted 40% to 50% versus public revenue multiples, “but in the current selloff that discount has narrowed (hard to put an exact figure given the lack of data points),” Zandberg wrote.

According to CB Insights, a “reasonable” multiple for an acquisition in consumer packaged goods is roughly three times revenue.

Don’t miss: Cannabis producer Hexo shutting down facilities amid deep staff cuts

In an email, Cronos spokesman Shlimak told MarketWatch that “the multiple Cronos Group paid is consistent with similar transactions that have been announced in our space and aligned with relevant publicly traded cannabinoid/CBD peers.”

Beyond Cronos and Lord Jones, Gotham Green has spread more than $350 million across the cannabis sector, according to the document reviewed by MarketWatch, investing in a range of public and private companies involved in biotechnology, branded products, hardware, CBD, hemp, cultivation supply, retail, vertically integrated companies, lab testing, distribution, software and e-commerce, technology. Gotham Green did not return an emailed request for comment.

In the pitch deck, Gotham Green describes itself as a private-equity or venture-capital firm established in 2017 to “capitalize on market inefficiencies and the absence of traditional funding sources across the global cannabis industry.” The firm’s most recent investment vehicle has raised $215 million of a targeted $300 million, and deployed $93 million as of August. As part of its investment in Lord Jones, Gotham Green gained two board seats at Lord Jones and offered “critical input into governance and business growth objectives.”

See also: Aphria profit didn’t come from selling marijuana

The document MarketWatch reviewed do not name or describe Gorenstein as involved with Gotham Green, but Cronos filings say he is a co-founder and “member” of the investment firm. The document describes Adler as the founder and managing member of Gotham Green and the “chief architect” of Cronos. Adler did not return emails seeking comment.

The co-founders of Gotham Green “orchestrated the takeover, corporate reconstitution and operational overhaul of Cronos Group Inc., which served as the predecessor to the formation of Gotham Green Partners,” according to the document.

CBD is a nonintoxicating compound found in the cannabis plant that is widely believed to have wellness properties. Canadian cannabis companies are hoping the substance may give them an early pathway into the American market, where cannabis remains illegal at the federal level.

But CBD is used by GW Pharmaceuticals PLC GWPH, +1.48% in its Epidiolex, a treatment for certain forms of epilepsy, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration categorizes it as a drug. The FDA has said companies are not allowed to add CBD to food or drinks or to make health claims, as the agency works to come up with a regulatory framework.

“Before [CBD companies] have a big run in sales, the air needs to clear,” Zandberg said.

CBD is nonetheless showing up in a host of consumer products such as protein powders, bath salts, makeup and even jelly beans. Though many scientists are unsure of exactly what, if any, the benefits are, U.S. sales of CBD products may pass $1 billion this year and $10 billion in 2024, according to a forecast for Hemp Industry Daily.

U.S.-shares of Cronos, which trade on the Nasdaq, have declined more than 20% this year, as the ETFMG Alternative Harvest MJ, +1.00% has dropped 15% and the S&P 500 index SPX, -0.10% has gained more than 21%.

A fund founded by cannabis company’s CEO and a longtime board member owned 40% of a U.S. startup that commanded a takeover price of up to 150 times its 2018 revenue

Some people need to stop thinking their opinion matters......

Dr. Phil slammed for saying cannabis ‘shorts out’ your brain

Popular daytime TV host Dr. Phil has come under fire for making outlandish claims about cannabis on a recent episode of his long-running show.

“When you smoke marijuana it’s like opening your computer up and pouring water inside, a lot of things short out and it connects where it’s not supposed to and really creates problems.”

Dr. Phil made the comments in relation to an 11-year-old boy who appeared on his show for a large number of behavioural issues, including smoking cannabis.

There is evidence to show that the human brain continues maturing until about age 25, however, any claims of cannabis ‘re-wiring’ or ‘re-connecting’ parts of the brain wrong are pretty outlandish. And while cannabis legalisation continues to grow, nobody is condoning recreational cannabis use among children.

Since the segment aired, Dr. Phil has faced a windfall of criticism from media outlets and health professionals for sensationalising the effects of cannabis, when legal substances like alcohol, opioids and benzodiazepines can all pose a threat to children.

In conversation with Vice, Dr. Michael Verbora of the Aleafia Total Health Network states “Pouring water into a computer would destroy the computer and kill all the connections.”

While cannabis can help to reign in chemicals in the brain that cause stress, anxiety and pain, Verbora also stated that “there is no evidence that any type of rewiring is taking place.”

Dr. Phil’s comments come at a time when backlash against growing cannabis legalisation appears to be picking up speed. Earlier this year, former New York Times writer Alex Berenson published a book titled Tell Your Children: The Truth About Marijuana, Mental Illness, and Violence, which has been widely denounced as alarmist and sensationalist.

I continue to hold government, in general, in contempt for mendacity and incompetence and the below article provides as least one plank in support of my negative view.

While cannabis industry grows, more people are being busted for weed

Cannabis advocates would dare say that 2019 has been a banner year in the realm of pot reform. Many boast about how the legal cannabis trade is, depending on which analysis we choose to listen to this week, on the verge of becoming a mega-billion dollar business sector that employs hundreds of thousands of workers, cures the incurable, helps us get to Mars and perhaps, if we’re really lucky, absolves us of all of our sins and puts us at the front of the line with the masters of the universe.
But the one aspect of legal cannabis that no one is really talking about much anymore is, even though over half the country has some sort of cannabis law on the books, more people are now being dragged to jail for pot possession and enduring other hardships as a result of a prohibition standard than in the past decade. So, has America really made any significant progress on this issue?

The United States was doing an admirable job cutting back on pot arrests for a while. Crime data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) shows that busts for buds were on a decline for right around nine years. But it wasn’t like this was supernatural or anything. Law enforcement was simply making fewer arrests for weed-related crimes because of legalization and decriminalization efforts unfolding in more parts of the country. It was a trend that advocates predicted would continue its downward spiral, too. However, something nasty happened while we weren’t looking.

The latest FBI crime report shows that cops across the U.S. busted more people for pot possession in 2018 than in the past couple of years. In fact, drug arrests have increased overall for the past 30 years, according to a recent report from the New York Times. So if you thought that just because millions of people can now buy weed legally from a dispensary that it means the drug war is officially over, think again. Well over a half million people went to jail last year for weed. What’s more, is this increase is not attributed to the cartels. The majority of these arrests were people caught with small amounts of marijuana. Yes sir, petty pot crime is still jamming us up.

Even in states where marijuana has been legalized, police forces are doing their best to crack the skulls of as many potheads as possible before retail sales get underway. In Illinois, not only are police “still doing their jobs” by making arrests and writing citations for public and minor consumption (two aspects that will not change once legal sales begin in January), they are also using marijuana as a means for seizing people’s personal property.

A recent report from Patch shows that a Joliet man is set to lose his vehicle under the civil asset forfeiture law simply because cops found a little marijuana in his glove compartment. Since the vehicle “was used or was intended to be used to transport a controlled substance or facilitate the concealment, delivery, possession and transportation of a controlled substance in a felony violation of the Controlled Substances Act,” it is now state property, according to the Will County State’s Attorney’s Office. Anyone living in a prohibition state could easily encounter this problem.

It gets worse.

Five years ago, news of SWAT raids were prevalent on the cannabis scene. There was always an innocent person or family being blown up, shot, or just downright terrorized by militarized police forces simply because they were suspected of having marijuana. But these kinds of stories have fallen by the wayside, as of late, which could only mean that SWAT raids for pot are no longer happening, right?

Wrong.

Just last year, 14 SWAT officers raided the home of a Louisville, Kentucky family, using explosives and holding them at gunpoint, because they were believed to have a role in an illegal marijuana operation. No cannabis was discovered during the raid. The couple has since filed a lawsuit against the City of Louisville and several officials associated with the SWAT team, stating that they had no probable cause, the search warrant was bogus, and the overall conduct displayed during the raid “very easily could have resulted in the death of a parent or child for no good reason.”

Once again, this is a problem that continues to threaten folks living in states where weed is banned.

Meanwhile, cannabis advocacy has quickly become lobbying in Washington D.C. The primary legislative push this year is a bill (SAFE Banking Act) that would allow financial institutions to work with marijuana businesses. It would not legalize marijuana at the federal level, nor would it change any law in such a way that would protect the average pot-using citizen. It would allow cultivation centers and dispensaries, etc. to set up bank accounts. Truth be told, SAFE isn’t even a cannabis bill. It’s one designed to protect the banks from being charged with a federal crime and to protect the safety of those working with cash in state-legal businesses. But this is where the cannabis movement has gone. There is very little noise being made these days about the importance of marijuana legalization, as a whole, as a means for preventing citizens from getting arrested, losing personal property and being raided by metal gear meatheads.

Perhaps this is the reason it has been so easy for law enforcement to get away with this vile behavior once again.

There is something wrong with these people. sigh

Culture
Postal Service Unveils ‘Drug Free USA Forever’ Stamp Commemorating 1980s Anti-Drug Program

The U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is rolling out a new stamp design that pays tribute to 1980s-era drug prevention programs and promotes a “drug-free USA.”
The stamps, which will go on sale starting in October 2020, were announced at the conclusion of this year’s Red Ribbon Week last month, an annual occurrence first launched under the Reagan administration.
“This Drug Free USA Forever stamp will help further raise awareness about the dangers of drug abuse, and the toll it is taking on families and communities around our country,” Robert Duncan, chairman of the USPS Board of Governors, said in a press release. “The Postal Service is glad to do its part in marking Red Ribbon Week, and renewing our commitment to helping these efforts to educate youth about the dangers of illegal drugs.”
drug-free-usa-forever-stamp.png

Via USPS.
USPS explained that Red Ribbon Week originated after a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent was tortured and killed in Mexico while investigating drug traffickers in 1985.
“I am very pleased that the U.S. Postal Service will issue a stamp affirming our commitment to a drug-free America,” DEA Acting Administrator Uttam Dhillon said. “This stamp will help raise awareness of the fight against drug addiction and honor those who have dedicated their lives to that cause.”
A description of the design states that the stamp “features a white star with lines of red, light blue and blue radiating from one side of each of the star’s five points, suggesting the unity necessary at all levels to effectively address drug abuse.”
USPS isn’t applying anti-drug messaging to the cannabis component CBD anymore, however. In September, the agency clarified that hemp-derived CBD products can be mailed under certain circumstances since the crop and its derivatives were federally legalized under the 2018 Farm Bill.
For those with mailing needs who aren’t interested in supporting the notion of a “Drug Free USA,” USPS does have another stamp that recognizes the 50-year anniversary of the drug-fueled 1969 counterculture music festival Woodstock.
Screen-Shot-2019-11-01-at-11.35.18-AM.png

Via USPS.
The stamp “features an image of a dove along with the words ‘3 DAYS OF PEACE AND MUSIC,’ evoking the original promotional poster for the festival,” USPS says.
Another option is a John Lennon Forever stamp, celebrating the iconic Beatles member and marijuana enthusiast who famously got “high with a little help” from his friends.
Screen-Shot-2019-11-01-at-1.55.26-PM.png

Via USPS.
“Still beloved around the world, Lennon’s music remains an anchor of pop radio and continues to speak for truth and peace,” USPS wrote.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back