Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips AVB vs decarboxylation for edibles

According to her explanation about the boiling point of the different compounds that we inhale when vaporizing, the following are the toxic substances with their corresponding boiling points:

View attachment 46952

Apart from Toluene, which it seems that we cannot avoid inhaling it because its boiling point is very low (100.6°c,), it seems that we'd better stay under 200°c, if we want to avoid inhaling Benzene which is a Carcinogenic substance.

I have always extracted the last bag with the volcano at a temperature of 230 °c but according to the values above, 230 °c means reaching the point of combustion, which of course they are also carginogenic substances.

And yet the AVB of the Volcano after the last bag at 230°c, never looks too dark, actually impressively very light brown.

Are we all here inhaling those toxic substances because none of us stays under the temperature of 200°c? bonghit
Vaping isn't harmless . Just my opinion , but anytime you inhale a foreign substance in your lungs your asking for trouble. Vaping is less dangerous than smoking, but it's not "harmless". We all make decisions on what's "harmful" to our body. We know what kind of damage alcohol does to the body, yet we still love our beer and cocktails. People need to do their homework and decide what's prudent for them to consume and how they consume it. As for the temperature charts I have my doubts on their accuracy. I've seen different charts with different numbers and I wonder :thinker: . I love to vape my herb, and at my age I don't care what the people say about weed. Ever since I can remember the experts been telling me how bad weed is for you :rofl:.

Vaping isn't harmless . Just my opinion , but anytime you inhale a foreign substance in your lungs your asking for trouble. Vaping is less dangerous than smoking, but it's not "harmless". We all make decisions on what's "harmful" to our body. We know what kind of damage alcohol does to the body, yet we still love our beer and cocktails. People need to do their homework and decide what's prudent for them to consume and how they consume it. As for the temperature charts I h:thinker::thinker:ave my doubts on their accuracy. I've seen different charts with different numbers and I wonder :thinker: . I love to vape my herb, and at my age I don't care what the people say about weed. Ever since I can remember the experts been telling me how bad weed is for you :rofl:.

Yes, even just breathing the polluted air isn't harmless.
I agree with you on the accuracy of these temperature charts, I also think to have seen different charts with different numbers:thinker:
Anyway, it's surely good for us avoiding high temperatures when vaping.
I have noticed that vaping it at a temperature of around 195°C you can extract the most of it. Going higher doesn't seem to bring a lot more to the table but more toxic substances are set free.

Anyway, yes I also long vaping my:weed:
but now, I'd slowly like to experiment with edibles :biggrin:

I have experimenting around but so far only failure:biggrin::horse:
First, I need to say that I bought a coconut oil of a good qualitiy.

1686385477453.jpg

And now on to my first two attempts:

1. I read that some people decarb their :weed: toaster oven. I bought an oven thermometer. I managed to find a heat-stage which was around 120°C but as I put the :weed:in the oven it almost instantaneously started to smoke/burn.
I removed it immediately ..,,,The :weed:was still ok for vaping but= first attempt failed!
I suppose the problem is due to the furnace heating element becoming glowing and igniting the :weed:

2. I thought: why not trying it with the volcano. I set the temperature at 115°C; filled up the chamber and put it on the Volcano. After 30 Minutes the :weed:
still looked quite green. I thought I should raise a bit the temperature. I set it at 125°C. Then I thought, it might be that it would be better to switch on the pump and let the air flow through for a minute.. Anyway, then I put the (decarboxylated?) in a pot. I added some Coconut oil and some water and let it simmer for around 40 minutes. Then I strained it. The result looked ok. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I nice green oil with no plant materiel in it. Quite clean. So I thought: "Yearh, I got it:science:!"

I mixed the infuse with a Tea.....The taste was not bad....Well, a bit greasy of course but a nice coconut touch.
But:...... :eyebrow: nothing!!

Now, I am going to try something else:

I used the Volcano again but this time I simply filled a first balloon at a temperature of 155°C
Now this should be sort of a very good AVB. I would normally continue extracting at the temperatures of 175, 195, 210 & 230
I am now repeating the procedure with the coconut oil and the water in a pot but this time I will let it simmer for longer...for an hour.
Let's see...

I have experimenting around but so far only failure:biggrin::horse:
First, I need to say that I bought a coconut oil of a good qualitiy.

View attachment 47020

And now on to my first two attempts:

1. I read that some people decarb their :weed: toaster oven. I bought an oven thermometer. I managed to find a heat-stage which was around 120°C but as I put the :weed:in the oven it almost instantaneously started to smoke/burn.
I removed it immediately ..,,,The :weed:was still ok for vaping but= first attempt failed!
I suppose the problem is due to the furnace heating element becoming glowing and igniting the :weed:

2. I thought: why not trying it with the volcano. I set the temperature at 115°C; filled up the chamber and put it on the Volcano. After 30 Minutes the :weed:
still looked quite green. I thought I should raise a bit the temperature. I set it at 125°C. Then I thought, it might be that it would be better to switch on the pump and let the air flow through for a minute.. Anyway, then I put the (decarboxylated?) in a pot. I added some Coconut oil and some water and let it simmer for around 40 minutes. Then I strained it. The result looked ok. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of it. Anyway, I nice green oil with no plant materiel in it. Quite clean. So I thought: "Yearh, I got it:science:!"

I mixed the infuse with a Tea.....The taste was not bad....Well, a bit greasy of course but a nice coconut touch.
But:...... :eyebrow: nothing!!

Now, I am going to try something else:

I used the Volcano again but this time I simply filled a first balloon at a temperature of 155°C
Now this should be sort of a very good AVB. I would normally continue extracting at the temperatures of 175, 195, 210 & 230
I am now repeating the procedure with the coconut oil and the water in a pot but this time I will let it simmer for longer...for an hour.
Let's see...
As a rule of thumb I decarboxylate at 240 Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Then simmer in your fat ( coconut oil or butter ) on a very low simmer 180 Fahrenheit for a minimum of 4 hours. The reason for the shorter simmer time is you've decarbed your weed already. When using a crock pot you're decarboxylating at a very low temperature while it simmers for a longer time. One of the benefits of the Sou Vide machine is that you can decarboxylate and cook all in the same container . Your ABV butter will look a very dark brown until you strain it . Once you strain it, let it set out in a warm area. You will notice that it will settle and all the leftover vegetable matter and butter solids that are left sink to the bottom, strain once more, then I let the fat solidify, and I scrape off any AVB that was left at the bottom of the butter solids . I keep a jar for collecting my AVB right by my rig . I'm getting ready to make a batch today and I will try to take some pictures.

As a rule of thumb I decarboxylate at 240 Fahrenheit for 40 minutes. Then simmer in your fat ( coconut oil or butter ) on a very low simmer 180 Fahrenheit for a minimum of 4 hours. The reason for the shorter simmer time is you've decarbed your weed already. When using a crock pot you're decarboxylating at a very low temperature while it simmers for a longer time. One of the benefits of the Sou Vide machine is that you can decarboxylate and cook all in the same container . Your ABV butter will look a very dark brown until you strain it . Once you strain it, let it set out in a warm area. You will notice that it will settle and all the leftover vegetable matter and butter solids that are left sink to the bottom, strain once more, then I let the fat solidify, and I scrape off any AVB that was left at the bottom of the butter solids . I keep a jar for collecting my AVB right by my rig . I'm getting ready to make a batch today and I will try to take some pictures.

Also my third experiment, the one with the volcano to decarboxylate it and then let it simmer with coconut oil went wrong.
At the end I had just a drop of the infuse which did not even look green. No effect at all!

Then simmer in your fat ( coconut oil or butter ) on a very low simmer 180 Fahrenheit for a minimum of 4 hours.
4 hours? I think that it depends also on the quantity. After all, I guess that you can't really make an infuse which just the amount of :weed:that fits into the chamber of the Volcano.
Besides, I am still a beginner and I do not want to waste a lot of :weed:
So far, I have wasted some already:ugh::biggrin:

Things must be simply done properly. Either I will buy an oven :dog: which could turn to be useful anyway or
I will buy one of those machines which which you can decarboxylate and make tinctures at the same time, which like the oven could also be use to make other kinds of tinctures, such as Basil tincture just to give an example.
This here looks great:
Amazon product ASIN B08JV8ZY8L

Last edited:
Also my third experiment, the one with the volcano to decarboxylate it and then let it simmer with coconut oil went wrong.
At the end I had just a drop of the infuse which did not even look green. No effect at all!

4 hours? I think that it depends also on the quantity. After all, I guess that you can't really make an infuse which just the amount of :weed:that fits into the chamber of the Volcano.
Besides, I am still a beginner and I do not want to waste a lot of :weed:
So far, I have wasted some already:ugh::biggrin:

Things must be simply done properly. Either I will buy an oven :dog: which could turn to be useful anyway or
I will buy one of those machines which which you can decarboxylate and make tinctures at the same time, which like the oven could also be use to make other kinds of tinctures, such as Basil tincture just to give an example.
This here looks great:
Have fun .

This is 95 grams of AVB. I do not wash it . I use a mixture of butter and coconut oil , 46 fluid ounces of fat .
IMG_5373.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg
IMG_5375.jpeg
IMG_5377.jpeg
IMG_5378.jpeg

You don’t need a decarb with AVB so I’m cooking at 185 degrees for 4 hours. If you’re using cured weed you need to decarboxylate at 197 for 2 hours then lower your temp to 185 for 4 hours. The big problem with AVB butter is filtering . I start out with a metal chinois then cheese cloth. Then I use a micro filter. I then let the warm butter settle and filter again. You would think it’s clean . It ain’t lol . I then measure the butter into 4 ounce cups and place in fridge overnight. Once it gets hard you need to scrape off the layer of AVB that’s on the bottom of your butter. You can then use it to cook.

I bought the Magical Butter Maker years ago. I would decarb in the oven. I used ABV with it but I always would run it through the cycle like 6 times. I mainly used coconut oil. I used it on a trip. It was really sedative though. It was better using later in the day. It had a good flavor. I didn’t mind the taste. It gets liquid really quick if it’s warm. Nice to have an edible on a trip. I also made chocolate chocolate chip muffins and banana bread. They both turned out great!

Hi there, lovers of edibles! :razz2:

What is the minimum amount of weed that I'd need to make coconut-:weed:infused oil that I could then use for edibles or drinks?

I bought a 165 gr jar of coconut oil.

I also bought this decarboxylator machine:

I do not want to run the risk of wasting my weed. I'd be grateful if you could give me some tips :smug:

Most recipes one will find online will call for 7 - 14 grams of cannabis per 1 cup of oil. See this article for more info....

Of course you can make it stronger by adding either more cannabis or some abv. I would use the full 14 grams so as not to have too weak of an end product.

Most recipes one will find online will call for 7 - 14 grams of cannabis per 1 cup of oil. See this article for more info....

Of course you can make it stronger by adding either more cannabis or some abv. I would use the full 14 grams so as not to have too weak of an end product.
Thank you very much!
Yes, I definitely need to read more about it. Knowing also how to properly dose the amount of :weed:-oil into the beverages or edibles , I takt it that, is also important....I need to slowly find my feet in this field

Hope this works out well for you sballo. :smile:
Thank you very much!
I decarbed the :weed:only.
I still haven't proceeded. As I said, I'd like as a first experiment try it with half a cup of coconut oil and 7 grams :weed:
But I am wondering if such the Ediwhip would work well with this small quantity.
I might give it a try with a bit more coconut oil.

Last edited:
I don't feel anything:rant:

150 ml coconut oil
a bit less than a spoon lecithin
7 grams :weed:

I poured 5ml infused oil in a smoothie

mathematically speaking: 7 grams:weed:in 150 ml oil
therefore 5 ml should contain 0,23 gr :weed:

What do the experienced edibles lovers out there think the reason could be?

Last edited:
Ideally you need to know the strength of the starting material
So I'd do an alcohol extraction on a sample of the starting material to give yourself an idea of how strong any future infusions or tinctures will be.

I was a bit like one of those beginners whining: "I don't feel anything":biggrin:
I drank a second drink with again 5 ml and then...:yikes: I think I was really high.
And yes, a different kind of highness though. More intense somehow.
10 ml of my infused oil is definitely a strong trip:scooter:
Today. I am tying the following:
I am going to have a cup of cappuccino with a shot of 7,5 ml at once....let's see how it works.

Ideally you need to know the strength of the starting material
So I'd do an alcohol extraction on a sample of the starting material to give yourself an idea of how strong any future infusions or tinctures will be.

It makes sense to me. Thank you-
Any suggestion to do an easy alcohol extraction on a little sample to test the strenght?

Going to have a cup of cappuccino with a special coconut oil shot :freak:

I wish you all a lovely bonghit

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back