Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Lol... I can understand the sentiment. But if you've ever seen a dog that's gotten into some stash you might not feel that way. It's an awful thing for them. They're white knuckling with 4 paws...... And it doesn't take much. My dog, at about 28 pounds, ate the equivalent of a pinner joint's worth of abv and was tripping balls.
Please don't misunderstand me, Mom.....I hate people who are cruel to pets/animals or who just don't take proper care of the animals they have been entrusted with.

But I'm not talking about a dog....I want JoJo's stash for ME!! hahaha

Aw, I'm so sorry. Ferrets are great pets...a friend had one. Smart and cute. Good for you with the palliative MJ treatment but I am sorry you lost your friend so quickly (but I rather agree with Mom....I would rather drop like a sack of rocks than linger a long cancer death).

Best of luck to you. You going to get another ferret?

Thanks for the kind words... and mom
Like you say, best to go quick in these situation...

My dog is still recovering from his ACL surgery. However, he's finally off any type of pain meds and largely due to some CBD treats I purchased at my dispensary for him.

A brief recap; he came home from surgery with a 25mcg Fentanyl patch on, was prescribed 50 mg of Tramadol every 8 hours and was on an ant-inflamatory called Rimadyl every 3 hours as well. And then antibiotics 'just in case' after he'd torn his stitches out a week later. Way too many meds for a now 26 pound dog who wasn't eating. I took the Fentanyl patch off within a day of getting home because he was not doing well with it. Severe anxiety. The Rimadyl had to be taken with food or he would vomit. The Tramadol... he seemed to tolerate. After a week or so I decided enough with all these drugs. While I realized you're supposed to finish a course of anti-biotics, he didn't need them. No infection had set in... it had been precautionary. Next I got rid of the Rimadyl because he wouldn't eat and continued to vomit. And then I took a good hard look at his pain level. And got the CBD treats and started giving him those twice daily and decreased the Tramadol by half. He seemed to be tolerating his pain just fine so I changed his Tramadol dosage to when needed. He has only needed a 25 mg dose 3 times since then. The CBD treats were enough to hold his pain to a manageable level most of the time. Now mind you... he's still on a leash when outside and in some areas of the house. So his activity is far from 'normal.' But I'm really happy with the results of his using CBD and am going to try the tincture they have next. They found arthritis when they went in so I'm sure it will be beneficial as a daily supplement.

Now to figure out how to make it myself.....along with the treats. :science:

One Vet’s Opinion On Marijuana As Medicine For Your Pet
Sarah Russo
1 week ago
blood-hound-1.jpg

Photo by markfizzwig via Pixabay

Any animal with a backbone (classified as a chordate) has an endocannabinoid system. The Kingdom of Chordata includes amphibians, reptiles, birds, fish, and mammals, including house pets. Many animal-owners treat their beloved pets like family members. When a dog or a cat gets sick and conventional options don’t work, people seek alternatives. In the realm of natural healing, cannabis for animals seems like a logical botanical pathway to explore.
When it comes to CBD, or cannabis in general, little research has been done on cats and dogs. Are cannabis preparations safe for use in animals? Does marijuana affect pets the same way as humans? Many pet-owners are looking for something to support their animal’s health, but there is little quality control with respect to the numerous pet-focused CBD products that are available in the medical marijuana sector and the hemp CBD grey market. And there aren’t many trusted, educated individuals who can provide professional guidance on cannabinoid therapies for pets.

To help pet-owners become better informed about the use of cannabis for their four-legged companions, Sarah Russo of Project CBD spoke with Gary Richter, DVM, an integrative medicine veterinarian based in Oakland, Calif. Richter considers cannabis to be part of a holistic approach to animal medicine. Due to marijuana’s Schedule I status, veterinarians are not allowed to write letters of recommendation for their clients or tell them where to obtain cannabis medicine. But Richter is able to speak about the benefits of CBD and cannabis therapeutics for pets.

Project CBD: Can you tell us about your work? Based on what you’ve seen in your practice, what types of conditions may cannabis medicine alleviate in pets?

Richter: My practice applies western, complementary, and alternative approaches. That could include acupuncture, chiropractic, Chinese and western herbs, nutritional supplementation, and more. Animals can benefit from medical cannabis for many of the same reasons it helps people—for pain, seizure control, gastrointestinal disorders, anxiety-related issues. We‘ve also seen positive results with cancer.

Project CBD: Why is there a lack of research studies on cannabis in dogs and cats? What areas of cannabinoid medicine in animals would you like to see investigated more deeply?

Richter: I think ultimately the reason for the lack of therapeutic-oriented research is because cannabis is federally illegal and there’s no funding. Generally, it’s pharmaceutical companies that are putting most of the money into medical research. Once there’s a legal pathway and money to be made in veterinary products, that research will happen. I would like to see more general research on the use of cannabis in animals, focusing on some of the ailments that it seems be the most effective for—especially gastrointestinal issues, pain, and inflammation. Many veterinary patients see dramatic effects with cannabis for these ailments. Cancer studies would be a much longer road and more challenging to put together.

Project CBD: What is your response when veterinarians say: “There isn’t enough scientific data to show cannabis is safe and effective for treating animals.

Richter: In a perfect world, we would benefit from more scientific information. However, the case reports and anecdotal evidence about the efficacy of cannabis medicine are already overwhelming. In veterinary medicine, practitioners typically have no problem using off-label medications—those not explicitly approved for use in dogs or cats. But mention medical cannabis, which has a mountain of evidence for efficacy in humans, and they suddenly say, “You can’t do that, there’s been no research on dogs!” It’s disingenuous.

Project CBD: Is there a difference between the endocannabinoid system in a dog or a cat as compared to a human?

Richter: In the big picture, they’re very similar. One striking difference is there appears to be a greater concentration of cannabinoid receptors in the dog’s brain than there are in most other animals. This is significant because it makes dogs more susceptible to THC overdose, potentially giving them a certain amount of neurologic impairment in the short-term. This phenomenon is known as static ataxia. Otherwise, when cannabis medicine is used effectively, their endocannabinoid system will act in the same way it would for a human.

Project CBD: Is THC combined with CBD beneficial for pets? If so, what CBD:THC ratios do you suggest for your clients?

Richter: It depends on both the condition that’s being treated as well as the individual animal. Many people in the cannabis community have heard about the entourage effect. The ratio of THC to CBD is an important part of that. There are conditions that respond better to medicine with a certain amount of THC in it. The ratios that I have used include hemp-based CBD with very little THC, as well as CBD-rich marijuana with a 20:1 CBD:THC ratio and THC-dominant medicine with little CBD. The research suggests that patients with cancer and chronic pain benefit from products that have CBD and THC, rather than CBD alone. It really depends.

Project CBD: Do you see animals coming into the veterinary hospital after having too much THC? How much of a problem is that?

Richter: Obviously whenever we’re talking about THC and pets, dosing becomes very important. At no point is the goal for the pet to get stoned. If that happens, then it means they’ve gotten too much. The aim is to give them enough cannabis to be effective, but not so much that they’re going to be negatively compromised. It is extremely uncommon to see an animal show negative signs when they have been properly dosed with cannabis as medicine. The worst effect would be drowsiness. If that’s that case, the owner may have to decrease the dose. It’s not uncommon for a dog, or sometimes a cat, to show up at a veterinary hospital having eaten a cannabis-infused edible that belonged to the owner. The good news is that cannabis toxicity is nonfatal and does not cause long-term effects. However, those animals that get into their owner’s stash may require immediate medical care. I have seen and heard of a couple of cases where pets did not survive.

Project CBD: But you just said that cannabis toxicity in nonfatal. You’ve seen cases where an animal ate too much cannabis and actually died?

Richter: One case that I have personally seen was a dog that got into a bunch of cannabis edibles and the owner didn’t bring his dog to the veterinarian immediately. They called us the following day. Unfortunately, the dog had vomited and aspirated while at home, his lungs filled with fluid, and he wound up dying from a systemic infection related to that. To be honest, if this dog had received medical treatment the day he ate cannabis, he almost certainly would have been fine. It was only because the owner waited, and by that time it was too late. It was very sad. But this type of event is really quite rare.

Project CBD: What’s your preferred way to administer cannabis medicine to animals?

Richter: I prefer a liquid preparation, usually an oil. With liquids, it’s very easy to adjust the dosage. If you’re giving something like a pill or an edible, it can be difficult to figure out how to titrate the right amount. Furthermore, there’s every reason to believe that CBD and THC are going to be partially absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the tissues of the mouth, sublingually. If we put a liquid in an animal’s mouth, some of the medication will be absorbed directly and has a chance to be more effective.

Project CBD: A lot of people say they want to start giving cannabis or CBD medicine to their pet, but they’re not quite sure about the right dose. Is there a good way to calculate the ideal amount for your animal?

Richter: There’s a dosing range that you could start at. It’s best to begin at the low end. Every few days, slowly increase the dose. If you’ve achieved the desired effect for whatever is being treated, then you’re probably done. Just like people, animals will develop a tolerance for the psychoactive effects of the THC. Over time they will be able to take more medicine without any demonstrable side effects. Medical cannabis is not the answer for all pets. Some animals do better on it than others, just like people.

Project CBD: In general, how knowledgeable are veterinarians about cannabis therapeutics?

Richter: This is a big problem—the lack of education. The California Veterinary Medical Board is very much against the use of medical cannabis for pets. They don’t want veterinarians speaking with pet owners about it at all, except to say that it is bad and not to use it.

Project CBD: What is the legal status of CBD as a medicine for animals?

Richter: Cannabis is federally illegal across the board, including CBD from hemp. Even in California, a trailblazing medical marijuana state, as a veterinarian I’m not able to provide people with a medical marijuana recommendation for their pet. Nor am I able to provide them with cannabis products. But I can talk with people about how medical cannabis might benefit their animals. Unless something dramatic changes on the legal front, there’s still going to be access problems for people looking to get medicinal cannabis for their pets.

Project CBD: Any words of advice for someone who wants to treat their pet with cannabis or CBD?

Richter: If at all possible talk to a veterinarian. Cannabis is medicine and its dosing should be carefully calculated. It’s important to know the concentration of THC and CBD in milligrams for one’s pet. Once you have that information, you can look for a product that suits your pet’s needs. When in doubt, err on the side of under-dosing because you can always slowly increase the dose and monitor the effect. And make sure the medicine is free of mold, pesticides, and other contaminants.

Project CBD: There are many hemp-based CBD products on the market for pets. How do you feel about the quality of these products in general? What are your thoughts about hemp-derived CBD?

Richter: I don’t want to disparage hemp-based CBD products because I think they do have a positive medical effect. Many people start with hemp products because of their relative ease of accessibility. But in many cases, we don’t know the source of the CBD in these products. I recommend that people do their due diligence as they should with any vitamin or supplement. Call the company and ask where the product is coming from and how it’s being produced. There is no government oversight to make sure that these companies are selling authentic and safe products. A pet owner’s only other option is to get a card and go to a medical marijuana dispensary if they want something that may be more effective than hemp-derived CBD. Ideally, you would look for a product that is organic and produced locally. You want to know how the CBD was extracted and the full spectrum of cannabinoids that are present.

Project CBD: Are there any guidelines or recommendations you have for people who want to make their own cannabis preparations for their pets?

Richter: That’s tricky. You won’t know the concentration of cannabinoids in what you make at home, unless you have it analyzed. If you do use your own preparation, start with extremely minute dosing and slowly work your way up. You’d much rather under-dose than overdose.

Project CBD: Sometimes people who don’t have medical complaints like to take cannabis as preventative medicine to maintain good health and well-being. Would you recommend something like that for an animal?

Richter: That’s an excellent question I have often asked myself. The purpose of the endocannabinoid system is to maintain homeostasis within the body. It’s logical to consider using cannabis as preventative medicine much in the same way that a person would take a multivitamin. If that’s the case, I would consider keeping the dosage toward the very low end. We need to see more research on the use of cannabis as preventative medicine in people as well as animals.

Project CBD: Are there any resources for people to educate themselves about cannabis medicine for pets or to find a cannabis friendly veterinarian in their area?

Richter: Firstly, I would say talk to your regular veterinarian about cannabis. Even if they can’t give you the information, they may know someone in the area that can. Additionally, there is a national organization called the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association (AHVMA). It isn’t a given that a member of the AHVMA incorporates medical cannabis into their practice, but most people who are open to it are also holistically minded. That would be a good place to find a veterinarian and to begin a conversation. For resources, a colleague of mine and I taught an online course for Greenflower Media. The class provides a comprehensive description of how medical cannabis works in pets, ways to dose, and how to find a good product. And I have a book coming out later this year. It’s called Integrative Health Care for Dogs and Cats. It has a whole section on medical cannabis, with dosing guidelines. A colleague of mine, Rob Silver, released a book last year called Medical Marijuana and Your Pet.

Project CBD: Thank you for your time and information.

Take-Home Message: If you decide to give your pet cannabis medicine, get informed. The medicine you give your animal should have the same standards for anything you would put in your own body. Make sure the product is safe and tested for cannabinoid content, quality, and is free from any contaminants or additives. Seek guidance from a vet, if at all possible. Start your furry friend off on a low dose of cannabis medicine. And monitor the effects that cannabis has on their experience because, as George Eliot wrote, “Animals are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.”

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.co...DB+Post+Image&utm_id=59dbc4a6a5ec6c212c7de564
10 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil For Dog

Holistic vets have been sending us some interesting reports about the benefits of CBD oil for dogs in their care …

A senior Staffordshire Terrier had a 6cm mammary tumor and metastasis that disappeared in 3 months and didn’t come back …

A Jack Russell Terrier had a severe heart murmur and painful arthritis and, after a month, he wanted to go for long walks and his murmur was much improved …

These are two examples of how Australian veterinarian Edward Bassingthwaighte discovered how CBD oil could be a critical part of his holistic veterinary practice. “I simply can’t explain the improved heart murmur” says Bassingthwaite. “They normally don’t get better.”

Related: How Cannabis Can Help Your Dog

CBD Oil For Dogs: What You Might Not Know
The results seem to be in … researchers are turning their attention to this herb and, so far, they’re finding there’s lots to like. And just as CBD has helped humans, your dog can reap the same health-boosting (and even life-saving) benefits.

Let’s look at the 10 things you might not know about this often misunderstood herb and the research that shows its promise in helping dogs with a variety of common health issues …

1. CBD Is Not Psychoactive
CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound found in cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and it’s this compound that gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are just that … the beneficial CBD without the THC. And they typically come from hemp, not marijuana. In short, your dog won’t get “high” from CBD oil … he’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.

And speaking of relaxation …

2. CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety
Does your dog suffer from separation anxiety or noise phobias? CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans, it’s been found to:

3. CBD Can Fights Cancer
CBD and other substances found in hemp and cannabis have been found to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been shown to stop cancer cells from growing and increased tumor cell death.

• CBD helps the immune system’s killer cells to cause cancer cell death.
  • CBD kills cancer cells by blocking their ability to produce energy.
  • CBD’s anti-tumor properties slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
  • CBD can help increase the efficacy of conventional cancer treatment.
4. CBD Can Treat Seizures And Epilepsy
It’s estimated that up to 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most dogs with seizures are put on drugs such as phenobarbital and potassium bromide. While they may help control the seizures, they can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other organs. And the drugs don’t work in all cases.

CBD has been shown to work well in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 7 of 8 patients with epilepsy that was resistant to drugs saw a definite improvement within 4 to 5 months of taking CBD.

And a survey of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy found that 84% of the children taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.

CBD-Oil-For-Dogs.jpg

5. CBD Relieves Pain
The cannabinoids in CBD work so well for pain that scientists are considering it as a new class of drug for the treatment of chronic pain. Studies show CBD to be very effective for:

6. CBD Can Help With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Animal studies show that CBD can prevent colitis (IBD) and restore normal gut motility in inflammatory bowel disease.

CBD also has antibiotic properties, including Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA).

7. CBD Reduces Chronic Inflammation And Autoimmune Disease
CBD has been shown to decrease the production and release of inflammatory cytokines that can cause allergies, hypersensitivities and autoimmunity. It can also suppress something called Th17 dominance, which is a major cause of autoimmune diseases.

CBD also inhibits the production of inflammatory macrophages and decreases chronic inflammation.

CBD is also a powerful antioxidant that’s shown to be more powerful than vitamins C and E.

8. CBD Can Protect The Nervous System And Help With Neurodegenerative Diseases
For dogs suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spine and nerve issues, CBD shows a lot of promise. It’s been shown to help patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease by protecting the brain cells from toxicity.

For senior dogs, CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by free radicals and toxins.

9. CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea
If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD may help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite and carries this extra benefit, in addition to controlling cancer.

In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.

10. CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Just as veterinarian Dr Bassingthwaighte discovered, CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.

Bonus: CBD Oil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, you might want to check with your holistic vet before using CBD.

Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.

The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and holistic vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.

Choosing A Good CBD Oil For Your Dog
Not all CBD oils are the same … you’ll want a high quality CBD oil that works, so here are a few things to look for:

• Make sure the product is organic: If it isn’t organic, your CBD oil contains pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
  • Don’t cheap out: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. Don’t price shop … make sure your CBD oil is free of additives and has a good amount of CBD.
  • Get the analysis: Ask for a lab analysis of the amount of CBD in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. The manufacturer should provide a certificate of analysis. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
  • Buy CBD as a tincture: You can buy CBD in treats but the best form is in a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop to make sure he gets the most benefit.
Start your dog off slowly but don’t let the naysayers tell you CBD isn’t a good option for your dog … the research is being done and the results are very promising.

It's been a while now since I lost my ferret Charlie...
She was ten years old, and spent her whole life with another ferret, lola...
After charlie went lola was not happy..
I decided she cant live outdoors alone, so have moved her indoor into an nice little new home to live out her days in comfort, being endlessly pampered....
She is so happy again.. ferrets need love and attention... I hope we get another 10 years together.....
4TVDyXA.jpg

She isn't biting by the way, she does this when she want ls to go back to her bed, as she wants you to come too, so she leads you there.....

I make sure she doesn't drink tap water and has a regular dose of mainly cbd.. hopefully this will help her not to get bladder cancer too...

Not quite sure why they felt it was necessary to add a pic of a very stoned looking dog to the article..... I almost didn't include it. Sort of negates the credibility of the article imo... poor thing looks miserable.

People Are Now Experimenting With Healing Their Pets With Medical Marijuana

Just like humans, dogs and cats may not always react well to traditional pharmaceutical medications used to treat medical issues like chronic pain, or severe anxiety. Many of these pet owners see medical marijuana as a safer, more efficient option. But veterinarians, lacking scientific proof, are wary of the practice.

Those who have used medical marijuana to treat their pets swear by it. In their eyes, there’s no reason to discount the efficacy of cannabis just because it’s a new area of research. Many pet owners who have turned to cannabis to treat their dog’s separation anxiety, arthritis, chronic pain, seizures, cancer, or other medical issues, have seen the positive empirical evidence. Their pets seem happier, and “back to their normal selves.”

Marijuana-based dog medication contains the same types of CBD to THC ratios you would prescribe for a child: high CBD, and almost no THC.

This is because, without THC’s psychoactive properties, users won’t feel “high.” Using marijuana with high CBD and little THC feels more akin to taking a light painkiller or a muscle relaxant.

Of course, since animals can’t smoke, oils and edibles are the preferred methods for treating animal illnesses. Still, testing the effects of marijuana on pets is a new area of research, so the science behind treating pet illnesses and diseases with marijuana is sparse. This is largely due to marijuana’s federal status as a Schedule I drug, which makes it difficult to obtain funding for research.

While these substances are not regulated, many retailers have begun selling products online and in stores across North America.

One such retailer, TreatWell Health, a San Francisco-based company founded in 2015 that sells “non-psychoactive options for medicating with cannabis,” openly sells marijuana-based medications for dogs and cats. They mostly sell tinctures, which is a concentrated liquid cannabis extract that’s administered using medicine droppers. This makes it easy to medicate one’s pet, as the tincture can be dropped directly into a pet’s mouth, or into their water or food.

According to The Globe and Mail, the Co-founder of TreatWell Health, Alison Ettel, also makes herself available for consulting, for pet owners who are new to using cannabis-based medicine for their pets.

Owners-Treating-their-Pets-With-Weed-2-of-1.jpg

( Photograph by Maureen Ravelo via Screenshot/Facebook)
Another dispensary, Pacifico Life, located in Toronto and Hamilton in Canada also offers marijuana products for pets. Here, pet owners can buy dog biscuits that contain CBD (none of Pacifico Life’s pet products contain THC.)

But if you’re looking for a Vet’s approval for these products, don’t hold your breath. Veterinarians who prescribe cannabis for treating pets can lose their licenses. In fact, health professionals in the province “strongly advise against” feeding marijuana products to animals due to the lack of scientific research available. As Dr. Kathleen Norman tells Global News, there are multiple issues with feeding animals marijuana products, including ambiguity with dosing. Without further research, it’s impossible to know what dosages are appropriate for pets, and what dosages will ultimately have toxic side effects.

Once cannabis becomes legal in Canada, further research into marijuana-based pet medication will undoubtedly explode. But in the U.S., the Trump administration’s hard feelings towards cannabis will likely impact researchers in the country’s ability to conduct studies inside the country. Until this research is carried out, using cannabis-based medications for one’s pets will remain a highly contested issue. Even if an animal exhibits a positive behavioral reaction to medical marijuana, there’s simply no way to know how the drug impacts an animal’s brain chemistry. Hopefully, the scientific evidence will prove as positive as the anecdotal evidence that is currently pet owners’ only sense of assurance.

I thought this was an interesting perspective from an Oregon veterinarian.....

Medicinal Cannabis & Pets

Now that recreational use of cannabis is legal in Oregon many pet guardians wonder about whether using this plant may be beneficial for their pet's ailments and they turn to their veterinarians for advice. However, many Oregon veterinarians will not be able or willing to give any advise on medicinal use of cannabis due to lack of knowledge about herbal medicine or because they are afraid of possible negative legal implications.

Legal Considerations
Even though recreational marijuana use is legal in Oregon, it is still classified as a Schedule I controlled substance by federal law and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and illegal for all veterinarians to prescribe to their patients. Medical marijuana laws do not apply to veterinarians, only to human physicians and their patients. This is a dilemma for veterinarians and their clients because here in Oregon humans can now legally share their “stash” with their pets within the limitations of potential animal abuse complaints. The Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board (OVMEB) currently advises veterinarians under its jurisdiction to use caution in discussing marijuana use with their clients. Potential complaints by the public about marijuana use in specific veterinary patients could be reviewed by the OVMEB as a non-justified, non-standard treatment and the veterinarian involved could face disciplinary action by the board. Oregon veterinarians recommending medicinal marijuana for a specific patient are required to get written client consent.

Hemp vs. Marijuana
There are two main cultivars of Cannabis sativa L., non-psychotropic hemp (high in fiber and CBD, low in THC) and psychotrophic marijuana(high THC content). All parts of the cannabis plant have been used for fiber and food by humans since prehistoric times. Cannabis contains hundreds of phytochemicals, and medicinal use of the plant was first mentioned in 2700 BC in the pharmacopeia of Emperor Shen Nung, the father of Traditional Chinese Medicine. Tea from cannabis was prescribed for many different ailments and a combination of alcohol and cannabis was used as an analgesic by Chinese physicians. The therapeutic benefits of phytocannabinoids such as THC and CBD, as well as other phytoconstituents stem from the interactions of these compounds with each other. Different strains of Cannabis sativa L. contain different combinations of these phytochemicals and hence differ in their medicinal benefits.

The body's endocannabinoid system with it's CB1 and CB2 receptors fulfills a major function in maintaining homeostasis within the body (relax, eat ,sleep, forget and protect) and is involved in neural activity, pain, memory, emotion, carcinogenesis, and embryonic development. THC binds primarily to CB1 receptors and of all mammals studied, dogs have the highest concentration of these receptors, particularly in brain areas related to coordination. Hence, dogs are more sensitive to THC than other mammals (including humans) and when given too much of THC develop “static ataxia”, a condition where the animal is swaying from side to side, drooling, urinating on itself and acting disoriented.

Therefore, and in dogs in particular, the low-THC hemp plant is much safer to use in pets than the high-THC marijuana strains. Some herbalists believe that hemp may be medicinally superior to marijuana because it is botanically closer to the original plant used for medicinal purposes thousands of years ago, before it became popular to breed high-THC strains for recreation. In our clinic, we have seen beneficial therapeutic results in our patients using CBD products derived from industrial hemp, particularly in pets with arthritic pain and anxiety issues. Other conditions that could benefit from cannabis include seizures, inflammation, dermatitis, cancer and behavioral problems.

Dosing
Effective therapeutic cannabis doses have not been worked out in pets. It is best to start with the lowest amount possible and to gradually increase the dose every 5 days or so until the desired effect is seen. If undesired side effects such as excessive sedation, disorientation, excitement, vomiting etc. are observed, the cannabis dose is too high and administration should stopped immediately. After the side effects have worn off, the animal can be restarted at a lower dose. The upper oral dose limit for CBD products recommended by veterinarian Dr. Robert Silver is around 1 mg/kg/day orally, but one should start with a much smaller fraction of this dose such as 0.05 mg/kg/day. For THC products, Dr. Silver recommends to start with an oral dose of 0.1-0.25 mg/kg THC once or twice daily. Once the pet has received the same dose over about 1 week without undesired effects, the pet has developed a tolerance and the dose can be gradually increased.

How to calculate your pet's starting dose?
Example 1: Commercial CBD oil
Let's say your dog weighs 55 lb = 25 kg (55÷2.2) and the hemp oil you bought lists 200 mg of CBD infused in 1 oz olive oil. Your dog's starting dose of 0.05 mg/kg/day calculates as 1.25 mg/day (25 kg x 0.05 mg). One fluid ounce equals approximately 30 ml, so the hemp oil has a CBD content of 6.7 mg/ml (200÷30). Your dog's starting dose of 1.25 mg equals a volume of approximately 0.2 ml of the hemp oil (1.25÷6.7). Since olive oil contains approximately 20 drops per ml, 0.2 ml equal about 4 drops (0.2x20). Your starting dose is 4 drops by mouth once daily for 5 days.

Example 2: Home-made Cannabis Oil
Let's say you want to make an herbal oil infusion of the dried cannabis flowers and leaves you bought legally at a dispensary. A strain with a CBD content of 15% and a THC content of 20% contains 150 mg CBD and 200 mg THC, respectively, per one gram of plant material. If you infuse 5 gram of this strain in 200 ml of olive oil using the double-boiler method, your oil will contain 750 mg CBD and 1000 mg of THC, or 3.75 mg/ml CBD and 5 mg/ml THC. Assuming your cat weighs 11 lbs (5 kg), her starting dose of 0.1 mg/kg/day equals an oral dose of 0.5 mg per day. Since each ml of your oil infusion contains 5 mg THC your cat's starting dose is 0.1 ml or approximately 2 drops by mouth once daily for 5 days.
For more information on how to make an herbal infusion see instructions below.

Example 3: Cannabis of Undetermined Potency
Start with the smallest possible amount. Depending on your pet's weight that may be as low as 1 drop or 1 capsule once daily. Observe for undesired effects such as loopy behavior or sedation and if none is observed continue the same dose for 5 days before gradually increasing the dose to desired effect.

Safety
It is safer to use legal industrial hemp products for pets since they contain nearly no THC and have high amounts of medicinally valuable CBD and other nonpsychotropic cannabinoids, terpenes and terpenoids. There is risk of toxicity and expensive emergency visits if your pet is given too much THC or gets accidentally into marijuana products. Be aware, that many edible cannabis products for humans contain ingredients toxic to pets, such as xylitol, macademia nuts and chocolate. There have been two cases reported in the literature of dogs dying from marijuana, both of these dogs ingested cannabis products containing chocolate, which appears to have a negative cumulative toxic effect. Always keep our own edibles and your pets' cannabis products safely stored away from pets and children.

References & Resources
Cannabis sativa L: Its Botany and Potential Value to Veterinary Medicine. VBMA Teleseminar July 2015. Robert J. Silver DVM, MS, CVA

Veterinary Marijuana - JAVMAnews

Bad Medicine or Natural Remedy? - JAVMAnews

Interview with Dr. Robert Silver on YouTube

This is a timely article since my dog is going in for surgery again on the 17th. CBD dog treats were benefical last time when the pain meds were too strong for him. There are some links in the article for sources and also a recipe for home made dog treats containing CBD oil.
CBD for Dogs: Practical Guide for Dog Parents in Need
Like responsible pet parents that we are, we just can’t stand watching our furry friends being in pain or suffering in any shape or form.

It especially hurts because they can’t tell us what’s wrong, and we can’t tell them that it will all be fine.

Ever since cannabis has become so popular among us humans for treating a number of medical conditions, holistic veterinarians started wondering if this magical herb can also help our pets.

So, as it turns out, dogs seem to respond very well to this one specific chemical in cannabis — cannabidiol.

CBD for dogs has become a new thing recently, and as it seems our furry friends are loving it.

However, when it comes to marijuana for dogs, pet parents have to be extra careful.

Unlike CBD, the most famous cannabis compound called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is toxic and dangerous to dogs. In fact, dogs are very sensitive to it and you need to avoid it at all costs.

On the other hand, CBD seems to bring forth a feeling of calmness and balance in all mammals, including dogs. It’s not psychoactive like THC, and what’s also interesting, it fits perfectly in our doggos bodies through its positive interaction with an endocannabinoid system that very much resembles our own.

We’re going to explore everything in a minute, but first check out this graphical guide to get an overall picture of what you’re heading into.

cbd-for-dogs-3.jpg

What is CBD and what does it do for dogs?

CBD is a cannabinoid, a chemical compound found inside the cannabis plant. It’s non-psychoactive in nature, has a plethora of healing effects and is mostly derived from industrial hemp, which means it’s legal all over the world.

Cannabinoids from plants fit into mammalian body like a glove.

Here’s why…

Our dogs (like all other mammals) have an endocannabinoid system (ECS), which is a network of cellular receptors and activators that has an important role in regulating body functions like mood, sleep, pain, memory, appetite, inflammation, nausea, stress levels and much more.

This system operates through chemicals called endocannabinoids, that the mammal body produces in order to maintain balance in this system.

Unfortunately, our furry friends are sometimes not able to produce some of these chemicals on their own, which puts their system, and certain processes inside it, in disbalance. Endocannabinoids are successfully replicated and stimulated through cannabinoids found inside the cannabis plant.

Supplementing with cannabinoids such as CBD puts the mammalian endocannabinoid system in balance once again and helps put an end to many agonizing conditions which are affected by endocannabinoids misfiring.

CBD does this mainly by interacting with several receptors: TRPV1, 5-HT1A and GPR55.

Shortly upon consummation, CBD activates TRPV-1 receptors and helps balance the body temperature, chronic or acute pain and inflammation.

When 5-HT1A receptors are stimulated, there is a significant increase in dopamine secretion, which produces antidepressant and anxiolytic effects.

CBD also blocks GPR55 signaling, which has shown a great potential to decrease reproduction of cancer cells.

There is some evidence that CBD also activates PPARs receptors, which is also linked to its anti-proliferative effect.

Science behind CBD for dogs

Although CBD has a very promising medicinal usage, most researchers and veterinarians warn that we still lack in-vitro clinical trials.

Most of the studies regarding cannabis are conducted on rats, less on humans and even less on dogs.

In fact, there is not a single official study out there on the effects of cannabis on dogs.

Fortunately, there is this one research that is currently in progress, but we still have to wait to see the full results.

Colorado State University’s Veterinary Teaching Hospital started theresearch on CBD for dog’s arthritis and epilepsy.

The positive effects of CBD for dogs are backed by studies done on other mammals and real life stories from dog owners, which are, in my honest opinion, the most important evidence we could have.

Later in this guide, I’ll share with you some interesting feedback from dog owners like yourself.

What are the health benefits of CBD for dogs?

CBD has shown to be very effective for your dog’s overall health as well as some specific medical conditions.

So, even if your best friend does not suffer from any specific condition, it’s fine to give it CBD as a prevention or just as a daily supplement.

However, CBD can also be used alone for treating a certain condition or as a boost to other medication for a number of different conditions and symptoms.

Let’s break this down in more detail…

CBD helps with allergies and skin issues in dogs
Itching, scratching, licking, chewing…Skin issues can be very irritating for both our dogs and ourselves.

Just like humans, dogs can be irritated by substances like pollen, food, insect venom (or flea saliva), dust, or even some types of pet shampoo.

Itching usually affects dog’s belly, armpits, ears, paws and cheeks. It can go on for months and even years in some extreme cases.

There are so many things that can cause an allergic reaction, but there is a possible solution in the form of CBD — as it has anti-inflammatory properties, it relieves inflammation which is the cause of itching, hives, and blisters.

The symptoms mentioned above can be reduced by adding CBD to the daily diet of your pet.

Also, you can try putting some CBD oil on your dog’s skin, which would probably be the best bet for external issues.

CBD reduces anxiety in dogs
CBD is known to reduce anxiety levels in people suffering from this kind of disorders, so it’s not a surprise it’s working for dogs too.

Some dogs are experiencing higher levels of (unnecessary) anxiety. This issue alone can make your daily walking routine in the park a walk of hell.

Every dog should be exposed to interaction with other dogs as soon as possible. It’s a normal part of animal socialization. Early socialization is very important for your dog’s further behavior.

Some dogs tend to develop some kind of fear of future possible dangers. Dogs suffering from anxiety tend to show symptoms and reactions such as urination, excessive barking and even destructive behavior.

Also, companion dogs tend to develop separation anxiety, having difficult times while being separated from their owner. Some dogs feel anxious while being left alone in the house, manifesting excessive distress behavior.

Thanks to CBD products, doggy parents can take a break.

By consulting your vet first, and by adding CBD to your dog’s life, you can help your fluffy friend feel much more relaxed. Yes, you can enjoy a walk in the park without having to avoid other dogs.

CBD reduces learned fears and phobias in dogs
Fears of fireworks and thunderstorms are very common in dogs.

Unfortunately, on the 4th of July or during a major storm, you almost can’t do anything to calm your dog down completely.

Noise phobias, as a fear of loud noises, can be a great distress for your pet. But fortunately, CBD can help you and your dog to stop the problem from getting worse.

CBD reduces aggressive behavior in dogs
When it comes to aggressive behavior in dogs, it’s a much more complex issue.

There are a number of factors that can cause canine aggression. Medical problems, behavior issues, trauma… Aggression is usually triggered by a specific situation. But, it’s all manageable, most of the times.

Beside taking behavioral classes with your dog, CBD can also help your pet feel more calm and relaxed, not being triggered in a specific situation and diminishing aggressive behavior.

CBD boosts appetite and relieves digestive problems in dogs
Some dogs are just easy to feed. They eat almost everything, but the problem can arise with dogs that are picky eaters.

There can be a number of reasons why your dog might be picky. If your dog usually has a good appetite and you notice some changes, it could be one of many digestive problems. Also, too many treats can spoil your dog, which could lead to it wanting to eat only that, not proper food.

It’s important to keep in mind and just accept that some dogs (sometimes depending on a breed or age) don’t have that much of an appetite.

But, if you think there is something wrong with your dog or it’s just being picky, consult your vet who can recommend the best food supplement such as CBD.

In fact, CBD treats can reduce nausea and boost appetite, as well as calm an upset stomach.

CBD helps with arthritis, joint and mobility issues in dogs
Arthritis is one of the most common orthopedic issues in dogs. In fact, it’s an umbrella term for abnormal changes and degenerative conditions caused by inflammation in joints.

The main cause of arthritis is tissue damage caused by joint physical trauma, stress, infection, even the immune system disorder. The most common joint disorder is hip dysplasia.

What really happens is that cartilage can’t be regenerated as fast as it’s wearing off. Because of that, the bony layer becomes more exposed to inflammation.

That all leads to thickening of protection layer around the joint making it less elastic and mobile.

Also, the blood vessels surrounding the inflamed joint become swollen and inflamed too, calcium deposits accumulate… It all makes the condition very painful, making our pets uncomfortable to move, even walk.

Arthritis is very common among dogs, especially the large breeds, but it also affects smaller dogs.

Since CBD is known for its anti-inflammatory and painkilling effects, it has caught the attention of vets treating orthopedic illnesses.

Since the studies and pet owner experience indicate there are no side effects, getting to a right dose for your dog will be a safe journey.

By taking CBD orally, your dog will be relieved from two most annoying symptoms related to inflammation: swelling and pain.

CBD helps our dogs battle cancer and tumors
Cancer is one of the most common causes of death in dogs over the age of 10.

The statistics say that the half of dogs over the age of 10 will suffer from one or another form of cancer.

Fortunately, half of those cancers can be treated and cured successfully if noticed on time.

Unfortunately, our beloved pets are not immune to different types of cancer and tumors. If you ever find a lump anywhere on your dog’s body, any kind of swelling or a wound that won’t heal, contact your vet immediately.

Decreased mobility, lethargy, inability to urinate or any changes in appetite can also indicate cancer.

This may be disappointing to you, but CBD is not proven to heal from cancer by itself. But that doesn’t mean it can not be used as a supplement and addition to conventional therapy.

Cancer and accompanying therapy can make a life of our dogs very painful and uncomfortable. Dogs with cancers and tumors undergoing therapy can suffer from pain, appetite loss, seizures and convulsions.

The most common and conventional therapies for cancer in dogs are chemotherapy, surgery or (from recently) antibody therapy. Sometimes therapies are used in combination.

Like in humans, these therapies are very intense and hard on the body. That’s why more and more vets are recommending CBD to ease your dog’s way to recovery.

Cannabidiol has what it takes to relieve fatigue symptoms improve appetite, reduce inflammation as well as relieve pain.

CBD helps heal glaucoma in dogs
Glaucoma is a very common eye condition in some dog breeds. It’s manifested as high ocular pressure which causes inadequate draining of fluids in the eye. If the condition is chronic, it can lead to partial sight loss, even the complete blindness.

About 40 percent of dogs diagnosed with glaucoma lose their sight completely, despite the early diagnosis or treatment. High ocular pressure can also be treated to normal with CBD.

CBD relieves seizures and epilepsy in dogs
Epilepsy is medical condition that causes repeated seizures. This can be very frustrating experience for both you and your dog.

One minute your dog is just fine, the next it’s on the floor, drooling, uncontrollably shaking and twitching or being unconscious. This usually means one thing— epileptic seizure, which can last from one to several minutes.

What happens during a seizure is an abnormal electrical activity burst in the dog’s brain. That makes it behave in an unconventional way, without any control of its body.

Epilepsy and other seizures can be caused by eating something poisonous, head trauma, stroke, brain cancer, and many other conditions. Seizures affect between 1 and 5 percent of dogs.

Veterinarians usually prescribe phenobarbital — conventional medication used to stop the seizures in dogs, as well as muscle spasms that come with the seizure.

However, this drug tends to have numerous side effects in both humans and dogs. So, more and more vets are willing to give pet owners another option — CBD.

Which CBD product is the best for my dog?

Marijuana is still illegal in both Canada and the US. Fortunately, CBD is usually derived from hemp, which is completely legal.

Since CBD has become popular for both human and animal use, there’s a variety of products on the market.

FDA has not yet approved CBD products for pets, but that shouldn’t stop you from bringing happiness and relief to your favorite furry companion.

Generally speaking, you can get your dog CBD dog products at your local pet store, online or through your vet, if he has a holistic approach to his practice.

However, FDA issued a warning to veterinary professionals and pet parents about products claiming to contain CBD.

FDA tested some products and found that some of these products did not contain (almost) any CBD. So before buying any product read the labels carefully, check all the information about the product on the internet and consult your vet.

When buying a CBD product, ideally you’d want it to have a lab result with it, just so you can be sure what you’re buying.

CBD comes in different forms. Every dog is different, so it could take some time to find out which one is your dog’s favorite.

CBD pet treats could be the easiest way to give your dog daily dose of this natural medicine.

You can buy the treats or make them on your own. Here is a quick and easy DIY recipe for CBD dog treats:

You’ll need a cup of peanut butter (xylitol-free), 32 ounces of greek yogurt and CBD oil (check the dosage guidelines in the chapter below).

Melt the peanut butter and mix it with the yogurt and CBD oil. Divide the mixture into cupcake molds or papers and put it in the freezer. Once cooled off, treats are ready for your dog to enjoy.

Simple as that!

Again — make sure not to use peanut butter that contains xylitol, as it is extremely toxic to dogs.

If your dog is not feeling the treats, you can try just dropping CBD oil onto its gums. Also, there are CBD dog tinctures that are not as potent as the oil, so you can put it directly into your dog’s mouth or add it to the meal as well.

For external use, the best results are accomplished with topicals, which can be applied directly to painful joints or irritated skin.

Also, some companies make their products as capsules, which can be easier to use if your dog doesn’t mind pills.

Some good and reputable brands that you should check out are Canna Pet, CBDistillery, Green Mountain CBD.

How much CBD should I give to my dog?

Every dog is different but the CBD dosing largely depends on its size and weight.

You can’t poison (or overdose) your dog with CBD, but it’s recommended to start with the smallest amount and gradually increase the dosage until you see positive results.

As seen in the infographic, calculating the dosage is simple and is usually done in 3 tiers…

Start with Tier 1, so if your dog weighs 15 lb, then the dose would be 0.05×15, which is 0.75 mg of oil twice a day.

Stick to that dose for some time. If your dog responds well but you still can’t see a big improvement, you can go to the next tier.

Here’s a quick CBD dosage chart that you can come back to whenever you need.

cbd-dosage-for-dogs.jpg

Experiences of dog owners with CBD therapy

I did some digging on Reddit and a few other forums to see what pet parents are really saying about giving CBD to their dogs.

Are they satisfied?

Did they notice any difference in their dog’s condition?

Here are some interesting comments from dog owners who used CBD in some form to help their pups:

cbd-for-dogs-ss-1.png

cbd-for-dogs-ss-2.png

cbd-for-dogs-ss-3.png

cbd-for-dogs-ss-4.png

To wrap this up, if your dog is in need of a natural way out of a medical condition, try finding some organic CBD hemp, but stick to trustworthy and established products.

Cornell University Study Finds Hemp-Oil-for-Dogs Product ‘Efficacious’ for Pain

A Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine study has found that a hemp oil product for dogs manufactured by ElleVet Sciences is “efficacious for pain in dogs with osteoarthritis, chronic joint pain and geriatric pain and soreness; with dramatic beneficial effects in our more geriatric patients.” The eight-month study, the first of its kind, was placebo-controlled and double blind.

A key component of the study was to determine how the product is metabolized and how to identify dosing accuracy and frequency. The soft chews also include glucosamine and chondroitin, two naturally-derived chemicals believed to improve mobility in arthritic dogs.

According to a press release announcing the study’s results, more than 80 percent of dogs who used ElleVet Mobility soft chews saw a dramatic improvement. Vets who worked on the study called the product “a game changer that will change the face of veterinary medicine.”

Dr. Joseph Wakshlag, an associate professor and Cornell and veterinarian who led the study, wrote a letter to the veterinarian community endorsing the product, adding that, due to the “very promising initial results” the researchers will continue working with ElleVet Mobility to examine whether it can treat post-surgical and oncology pain.

The Cornell, ElleVet partnership is also conducting a study on a hemp oil product for cats known as ElleVet Feline.

How This Senior Dog Was Saved With Medical Marijuana
How marijuana gave back Sweet Georgia Brown's vision and motor control

senior-dog-cannabis-1.jpg

Photo by Trey Reckling

Sweet Georgia Brown, my 14-year-old dog, had a stroke. We were on our daily walk to the park when she suddenly couldn’t stand. Her back leg stiffened like a plank, she couldn’t focus her gaze and things got worse. She lost control of her bladder, her eyes darted side to side—I thought, this is it.

Georgia’s brain was severely swollen, and if the swelling wasn’t reduced it could have resulted in brain damage or … that really could have been it. Fortunately, being in marijuana-friendly Seattle, her veterinarian asked what we thought about an emergency intervention using medical marijuana. He could not prescribe it, but said, if we got the right dose, it may be more effective than any pharmacy grade medicine he could offer.

He was right. Thanks to a selected cannabis extract, within 24 hours she regained her vision and motor control. My husband helped her to re-learn some basic motor functions, and now, 18 months later, she has a few age-associated challenges but is otherwise healthy and happy.

Witnessing Georgia’s recovery made me think, as the news about medical marijuana and its efficacy in treating human ailments continues to spread, what about our furry friends? Does cannabis hold potential to make their lives better? And if so, what potential risks should be considered?

We do know that all invertebrate animals have endocannabinoid systems, a group of receptors that interact with the naturally occurring cannabinoids our bodies produce. These systems affect pain, sleep, appetite, mood and memory. This is the reason that so many human patients are finding relief for their ills with medical marijuana — like pain, skin conditions, GI ailments, and inflammation. Why would we not hold the hope that pets could gain relief just as humans do when it comes these ailments?

It does not come without risks whether the ingestion is planned or sneaky and opportunistic on the part of the pet. According to The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, ASPCA, dogs that consume cannabis can experience: “Prolonged depression, vomiting, incoordination, sleepiness or excitation, hypersalivaton, dilated pupils, low blood pressure, low body temperature, seizure, coma, death (rare).”

The ASPCA does not distinguish between decarboxylated cannabis or raw/dry cannabis. “Decarbed” cannabis has been heated to make its THC bioavailable and ready for absorption. The THC in raw/dry cannabis has not been activated. This is one reason why an animal consuming “medibles” is so much more affecting than eating raw or dry cannabis.

Dr. Ahna Brutlag, a board-certified veterinary toxicologist with the Pet Poison Hotline said they have seen serious increases of pets consuming cannabis:

“Over the past 6 years, we’ve had a 448% increase in cases mostly in the US (some from Canada). The biggest shift, for us, has been the source of marijuana to which pets are exposed. Five to seven years ago, most of our consultations involved pets ingesting dried plant material/buds. Today, the majority of our cases involve pets ingesting edible marijuana products. As many of these ‘medibles’ also contain chocolate, this can pose an additional risk for poisoning, especially for dogs and cats. “

Any responsible pet owner should guard their cannabis like the medicine it is and prevent accidental ingestion by both pets and children. Pet owners should also work with a veterinarian for professional advice and guidance. It is best not to risk the well-being of our furry loved ones by allowing accidental ingestion or experimenting when it comes to appropriate products or dosage. You love them too much for that risk.

Not quite sure why they felt it was necessary to add a pic of a very stoned looking dog to the article

...not sure why but i feel as if maybe this is photoshopped or some trickery... it just does not look right to me... the eyes kinda look human like, and the grin...... maybe im high???

A friend of ours has a 17 yr old golden retriever. The vet said its the oldest retriever anyone knows of in this area. Bella (the dog) has tumors, is blind, deaf, and slept most of the time. To go outside he had to carry her. The owner (mike) decided he better do something or put her down.

He tried cannabis oil (RSO) and she looks and acts much more healthy. She still doesn't hear or see, but she is functioning at a much higher level. The tumors are shrinking. She walks on her own, stays awake longer and is eating normal again.

And I have heard of many such cases for old sick dogs. It works, and not just CBD.

Now there's a pet-focused cannabis education platform in the U.S.

In Canada, cannabis companies like Canopy Growth and CannTrust are already exploring the pet market as a space to offer cannabis-based therapeutic alternatives

1a_GettyImages-992637094-e1557160685773.jpg

According to BDS Analytics, sales of cannabis-related products for pets at dispensaries in California, Colorado, Oregon and Washington was nearly $7 million in 2017.iStock / Getty Images Plus

Cannvas MedTech Inc., a digital cannabis education and analytics company, recently announced the official launch of its digital cannabis education resource for animals, Cannvas.Pet.