Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Lmao.... 'Purple Monkey Balls?' Was that the actual strain? :lol:

I'd say no; in the traditional sense. It would have to be more concentrated right?

That's what they called it
The strain actually exists
The water cure was days long and the water was purple
These pics are from October prior to freezing and extraction, last pic is finished product
IMG_20200928_232003.jpgIMG_20200929_063531.jpgIMG_20200929_080258.jpgIMG_20210212_122541.jpg

I thought feco was full evaporation to straight oil, but also all the compounds the water cure and cold extraction leave behind
Read so many threads on different sites over the last year I get careless when referencing some of the material

just bumping this post and wondering if anyone else has adopted the method that Vitolo mentions in the first post here? Is that now your goto method? Vitolo doesn't decarb the weed or spray it down with alcohol to help extract thc. But i find his technique interesting because i believe the weed does have a long decarb process in the butter. Really curious if anyone else took the time to use his same technique?

There’s several methods around. I have the magical butter maker and that worked for me. I would put it through several cycles.

I would use Vitos recipe. You don’t need but an ounce of flowers and a crock pot plus your butter. He’s done a lot of work getting his recipe down. You need a lot weed using the magical butter maker, like 2 - 3 ounces, Also if it doesn’t turn out you don’t want wasting too much product.

just bumping this post and wondering if anyone else has adopted the method that Vitolo mentions in the first post here? Is that now your goto method? Vitolo doesn't decarb the weed or spray it down with alcohol to help extract thc. But i find his technique interesting because i believe the weed does have a long decarb process in the butter. Really curious if anyone else took the time to use his same technique?
@Vitolo 's method is the old tried and true method for cannabutter. The Magical Butter machine and all of it's successors just tweaked the process.

You can decarb prior using the crock pot method.... or not. With Vito's method it cooks long enough that you don't need that step. But you will usually come out with a pretty solid result either way. The difference is adding water. Some don't want to do that. My feeling, after using the Magical Butter machine, is that you lose a lot when straining if you don't use water. But.. the ease of the MB machine sort of makes up for it. I guess it all depends on if you use the resultant strained material in something else or not. Or your availability of herb.

There is a lot of new info on decarbing
Do a bit of research before you settle on a method

Is there a particular reason you want to do this method?

Cold alcohol extraction can be done with a gram of cannabis
You can also make super concentrates

Is that now your goto method?
Yes it is. I have ther magic machine, but I just like the effects best when I make it the old, time consuming way.
As said by others here.. there are various methods, and it's up to the individual to discern varying effects.
Also up to each to decide on the simplicity, or complexity of each process.
I'm old.
My hands can perform the steps I take in the dark.
It has become natural!

Yes it is. I have ther magic machine, but I just like the effects best when I make it the old, time consuming way.
As said by others here.. there are various methods, and it's up to the individual to discern varying effects.
I'm old.
It has become natural!

More and more evidence points to the medicinal application of full extraction methods like Vitolos
Some people describe it as a well rounded high if you get the proper decarb
I wish I could stomach the taste but there is no way

I'm old.
It has become natural!
This was the first method I ever used, it will medicate you pronto. I sometimes have a tendency to fall asleep using this method :nod: . Excellent for full body pain control :thumbsup:. Before you decarb, what are you going to do with your butter, or decarbed weed ? keep in mind any further cooking temperatures or times will affect your desired end result. Baking vs ethanol extraction is a great example. I'm not going to do a full decarb if I'm baking at 350, vs when I do a ethanol extraction I'm going to want to do a full decarb and evaporate the alcohol.

There is a lot of new info on decarbing
Do a bit of research before you settle on a method

Is there a particular reason you want to do this method?

Cold alcohol extraction can be done with a gram of cannabis
You can also make super concentrates
I wonder if Vitolo's old school 12 hr long method allows for more THC to be extracted into the butter due to the increase in surface area from more broken up plant material and the much longer time that the plant material is exposed to the butter allowing for close to full thc absorption. When compared to a QWET like in this method https://www.mediblereview.com/3-minute-quick-wash-ethanol-extraction-qwet/ . or even compared to FECO

I just wonder if anyone has made edibles using both QWET (or FECO instead of QWET) and Vitolo's old school method and which one produced stronger edibles all things being equal? I understand that the methods pull compounds other than thc. I just have heard QWET is best for THC extraction for edibles? but due to how long Vitolo's method takes I wonder if his technique gets more THC out from the cannabis plant?

any thermometer u would recommend in particular or brand?
I got a big green silicone box from magic butter machine. It's suppose to decarb your weed in the box. It sucks, all it does is make your weed smell like a bad fart. But the cool thing is they gave me this thermometer with a 3ft wire probe, timer and alarm . I use it when I BBQ or bake. Easy to calibrate your oven :thumbsup:

IMG_7742.JPG

Decide how you want to decarb
If you use an oven then oven thermometers are a must
Buy several, toss them in the oven and set to 240f (115c)
Check the thermometers to find out what your actual oven temps are
I bought three and they all were registering that the oven was off by a little over 10 degrees
If you get a thermometer that is off from the others then just toss it or return it, good reason to buy three
They are inexpensive and necessary for the most important step in making edibles

If you are going to get into this then start researching the Ardent Nova/FX
I was skeptical at first but was pleasantly surprised with the results
Much more potent edibles

I have not tried Vitolos method exactly but used a magical butter machine
I have seen anecdotal evidence about the efficiency of different methods
For home extraction it seems to hover around 70%
What all the numbers mean is hard to decipher
You need lab testing and those results apply to the sample given
So many variables can make these numbers go up and down that it gets pointless to dwell on them

The decarb seems to be the most important step
Then the extraction method

Decide if you want oil or sugar to be your carrier
They absorb differently and have markedly different highs

If I'm in really bad pain then its coconut oil and a heavy high
For everyday use I stick with sugar and some micro dosing in the form of vaping concentrates
Lighter high from sugar that lasts 3-5 hours for me
Heavy high from coconut/mct oil going through the liver 5-10 hours for me

Hope this is not too confusing

Last edited by a moderator:
I have lowered my butter time to 8 hours on a few occasions.
I went down to 6 hours ONCE but was not satisfied with the aroma and effect.... and I learned my lesson.
I moved back up to 8.
I am finding only a tiny difference in quality up at 12 hours.
When short on time I do 8.
When up at the crack of dawn.. I do 12.

Decide how you want to decarb
If you use an oven then oven thermometers are a must
Buy several, toss them in the oven and set to 240f (115c)
Check the thermometers to find out what your actual oven temps are
I bought three and they all were registering that the oven was off by a little over 10 degrees
If you get a thermometer that is off from the others then just toss it or return it, good reason to buy three
They are inexpensive and necessary for the most important step in making edibles

If you are going to get into this then start researching the Ardent Nova/FX
I was skeptical at first but was pleasantly surprised with the results
Much more potent edible

Always calibrate your thermometers before using.

I've employed the SV method to decarb and also via my Ardent Nova. I've never used the oven to decarb - mainly to cut back on odor. I've used Sous Vide vac seal bags and also jars in the water bath. I own a MBM too.

I think the results were similar enough. Maybe I just used quality bud. I didn't use trim, shake or whatever. Maybe it was a waste of the good stuff. A couple of times I put in two syringes worth of RSO and the effects were a little bit over the top in terms of strength.

Maybe I just used quality bud. I didn't use trim, shake or whatever. Maybe it was a waste of the good stuff.
That's the secret.
If I am given trim, I use it in Iso and make topicals.
The best flower goes in your cannabutter.
One can make trim butter as long as they know it will be a milder effect.
One can use triple weight of trim to get good effects, but the butter yield would be lower using
my method, as you would have more mass from which to squeeze the butter... leaving some behind.
I have poured boiling water through the "mulch" to get a higher yield... but it's more work when you're working with trim.
Working with pure bud is a great pleasure!

I've employed the SV method to decarb and also via my Ardent Nova. I've never used the oven to decarb - mainly to cut back on odor. I've used Sous Vide vac seal bags and also jars in the water bath. I own a MBM too.

I think the results were similar enough. Maybe I just used quality bud. I didn't use trim, shake or whatever. Maybe it was a waste of the good stuff. A couple of times I put in two syringes worth of RSO and the effects were a little bit over the top in terms of strength.

Sorry
Don't know how I missed that you have a nova

The sous vide method I tried was meh
Never tried any of the new crock pot water methods

Honestly a solvent extraction has gotten the best results
The Ardent combined with alcohol extraction gives me the most potent product to date
I don't see any other methods giving more extraction percentage unless you go full lab
Have not read any extraction percentages for the labs but I'm sure its high

From what I see around the boards the edible sections are good but not much interest
It's a shame but folks are missing a great way to medicate
Its a firecracker world

I spend a day or two and have product for several months
IMG_20210903_140937.jpg

From left to right
1. A full extraction full stage filtered tincture for sub lingual use
2. A 14 gram tincture waiting for reduction and infusion
3. On top of the tincture is crystallized simple syrup aka cannabis candy
4. Next is a thin chocolate syrup for chocolate milk/shakes etc.
5. Next is a thick chocolate syrup for topping ice cream etc. (I'm aware the chocolate syrup containers should be swapped and the thin syrup should go in the squeeze bottle, hazards of getting dosed while making products) I'm an idiot
6. Next is my PAIN medication infused coconut oil at half a teaspoon (50mg guesstimate)
7. Finally in front is apple compote frozen in an ice cube tray 1 tablespoon in one cube slot is roughly 20-50mg guesstimate

All buds no shake or trim
Shake and trim have lots of good stuff but should be processed separately unless you are a seasoned grower and user
It gets tricky trying to determine potency and this is really something only growers are familiar with when it comes to knowing their plants
I never mix, too much of a light weight and its hard for me to keep from greening out, even using the step method to dose

Honestly a solvent extraction has gotten the best results
This is very true.
Butter has applications that are very direct, however, without altering or adding to some recipes.
Like.... Caramels, and pastries... cookies and stews.
I use solvent extractions for gummies, hard candies (suckers included) and anything that has no butter in the recipe.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back