Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips How long before concentrate goes bad?

Thanks so much to everyone who contributed to the thread . Especially @herbivore21.

@herbivore21 - you asked "What kind of concentrate are you intending to store long term man?" My answer is .... I'm not sure what kind of concentrate this is. I think it's a Chem Dog derivative and as far as structural look .... it's like the orange amethyst with the mosquito stuck in it that the movie Jurassic Park used to show where they got the DNA to create dinosaurs. Sticky and melts when touched. Another way to describe it would be to say it looks and feels like a piece of semi-cloudy dark orange glass.
I don`t know the shelflife of cannabis?

However I use it so much it's hard to say?

Good question?
Off tract here: JUrassic PARK (2nd with Chris Pratt) da best!

Last edited:
When terpenes or even other cannabinoids such as CBD are present in a concentrate, they can also act as emulsifiers (a mixing or solvating agent) to the crystalline THCA. A concentrate that is richly saturated in both THCA and in terpenes can take on different consistencies depending on how the product was agitated and at what temperatures that product was exposed to. These varying phases that concentrates exhibit (e.g. polycrystilline to amorphous) are largely influenced by the many impurities that prevent THCA from crystallizing.
I should point out that CBD is also a crystalline compound, like THCA. This crystalline property applies to both CBDA and decarboxylated CBD. What is said here about terpenes dissolving THCA is true in my experience. However, I have not yet observed, read or heard from friends who process extracts that CBD can emulsify a high THCA shatter in this way. :peace:

Also for those who are storing concentrates long term, consider storing it as a dense ball or cube, rather than a flat slab. This limits the degradation that can take place as light/oxygen, where present are largely only going to impact the outer surface of the ball/cube of resin, not the resin inside. This is true of hash and of oil concentrates in my experience. Of course, you still need to keep that resin in a sufficiently cool place...

Last edited:
I keep mine in a little metal bento box (from the container store) in the fridge. I have had one gram of shatter sugar up on me but otherwise it seems to keep pretty well.

Was keeping shatter in the freezer but don't think that was really necessary.

Trick is to dab it all before it has a chance to go bad?? LOL :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Cheers

I ran into something kind of interesting ill share.

I have at any one time 6-8 varieties of rosin. I store most in a Mylar zip lock in the freezer. But I have samples of each variety in my grow area for vaping. Some of the older ones are fairly old like 8 months, or more. When I press, any left overs, as in partial grams, go in my personal stash jars.

When I used an older one recently, it has turned from a semi solid to mostly liquid. I tried it and it tasted great and worked very well. I checked the others and several other ones have changed in the same way. This is new to me.

The room in question ussually stays in the 70'sF and on occasion might go to the low 80'sF.

I don't know a lot about "jar tech" but this might be similar.

I found 3 grams of live rosin in a drawer. They were at least a year old, possibly 2 even. One has been opened and the second two were still sealed. There were no obvious charges to any of them, and they seemed to work just fine.

I realize this likely isn't ideal storage conditions, but all is well. I also found a container of homemade, vac-purged BHO from an experiment last summer that also performed nicely. Last week's rosin was the best of the collection tho...

How long do you store your rosin in the freezer before you find loss in quality?

I haven't found any loss of quality yet.

I put either grams (I have patients) or bulk in mylar zip lock bags with some oxygen scavenger packs.

In my personal stash I have 7 or 8 varieties in glass jars that stay in an old wooden cigar box in my grow room. Eventually they become sappy, but I haven't noticed any big drop off in quality.

I think they get sappy when they become decarbed. They also become clear, like jar tech rosin. Freezing seems to stop that process.

I haven't found any loss of quality yet.

I put either grams (I have patients) or bulk in mylar zip lock bags with some oxygen scavenger packs.

In my personal stash I have 7 or 8 varieties in glass jars that stay in an old wooden cigar box in my grow room. Eventually they become sappy, but I haven't noticed any big drop off in quality.

I think they get sappy when they become decarbed. They also become clear, like jar tech rosin. Freezing seems to stop that process.
What's the oldest you have kept?

I have seen it go the more see through colour after a few weeks before

Last edited:
Good question. I'm not exactly sure because I always have rosin coming in and going out.

I do have some bulk cannatonic that's over a year old. It's not high in demand for dabbing. I use it mostly for adding to cannabis caps. It still looks like it did when it went in the freezer.
I had canna caps a year old made of my hash oil
They were still potent, but had dropped from the full power they were 6 months prior
I wasn't storing them in the freezer though
Just in a glass jar in a dark cupboard

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back