Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips How long do you hold it in for? - Inhalation techniques

I've pretty much always held my hits in for 7 seconds. Back in the day buddy was 100% adamant that was the best way to do it, said he read it in some weed magazine. It seemed to work just as good as "ghost hits", which was the hot thing to do at the time and always gave me the worst headaches; so I just started doing it. Ghost hits here are where you hold the hit in so long when you exhale there's almost no visible smoke/vapour. My buddies would try to take the biggest hits they could and ghost them. Great way to kill brain cells!

Anytime anyone would ask how we smoked or if we could ghost we'd just say "You're supposed to hold it in for 7 seconds then you're good". Now that I've been doing it that way for so long even if it's not the "best" way to take hits it's the most comfortable/best way for me.

I've kind of changed it up now though.. First off no more smoking :smoke:, switched entirely to vapour. I take a medium sized hit leaving a decent amount of room in my lungs, hold for 7 (can really taste the flavour from the inhale here), draw in some fresh air then exhale slowly. Seems like a decent compromise for me! I don't feel like I'm "wasting" vapour, full flavour, and I never get headaches or feel any strain.
EVIDENCE, EVIDENCE!
Never do I make it uncomfortable.
Holding your HIT?

FAKE!!!
K9FHR3T.jpg

30mm tank + ROSIN on the HIVE COILS 32watt impossible to hold a hit in?
Night - Night!

WITHOUT EVIDENCE?

It must be FAKE!

I believe agitation is the key here...

I think the movement of vapour inside your lungs helps to absorb more....

I hold it for about 3 seconds, then breath it out as slow as possible, savouring the taste and moment.....

Sometimes it just leaks out my nose due to how full of vapour I am....

I like to take a huge lungful of vapor, hold it for a few seconds and then slowly exhale in a thin stream of vapor.
For some reason this tends to get me more medicated then either holding it in for 10-15 seconds or an instant exhale.
And you get to savor it for a longer time!!

There was a time when I went for about 10 seconds.
I draw so deeply and slowly now, that I usually wait only a second or two before exhaling.
Sometimes I just exhale without holding it in, and prepare for the next huge hit.

Little bit more on this subject. I also think that in addition to keeping vapor moving over the aveoli in your lungs to promote absorbtion ( which doesn't happen just holding your breath) there is the fact that there is no absorbtion at all in your trachea and main bronchi passageways. So, if looking to maximize cannbinoid uptake, it makes sense to stop drawing with enough room left in your lungs to clear your rig, your throat, and main passageways into your lungs.

https://www.massroots.com/news/holding-hits-and-the-effect-of-cannabis-on-your-lungs

A study in June of 1989 found that being high is not effected by the amount of time that you hold the smoke in. Participants were given three different conditions to hold their breath under, ranging from 0 to 20 seconds. The procedure for smoking was standardized by number of puffs, puff volume, and the post-puff inhalation volume. Smoke intake was monitored by looking at the level of carbon monoxide in the air before and after smoking. Although everyone that participated felt the effects from cannabis, they did not see any different between those that held their hits and those that didn’t.

And

http://neurobonkers.com/2012/05/26/...s-policies-interception-and-total-absorbtion/

The evidence regarding THC absorption and duration of breath holding is surprisingly limited, the consensus appears to be that the majority of active components in cannabis are absorbed relatively instantly and any negligible effects from extended breath holding are simply a result of excessive carbon monoxide exposure. This is good news, there is no reason to hold cannabis smoke down for much longer than a couple of seconds, in fact doing so actually results in wholly unnecessary additional exposure to smoke and tar. There is more good news, it seems clear that heavy cannabis smoking is not particularly good for lung function but surprisingly perhaps, it seems occasional use may actually have beneficial effects. A twenty year study found that users who smoked up to one joint a day actually had increased lung function and this effect stood the test of time even for long term occasional smokers:

“With up to 7 joint-years of lifetime exposure (eg, 1 joint/d for 7 years or 1 joint/wk for 49 years), we found no evidence that increasing exposure to marijuana adversely affects pulmonary function”

The moral of the story? If you choose to smoke, you don’t need to do a Clinton and not inhale at all, but you certainly don’t need to do an Obama either – failing to exhale will do you more harm than good. More importantly, keep your smoke an occasional habit and you may just end up with stronger lungs than you started with.
Your so nice!
OK give me time?
I can be a prick of misery!
CIVILIZED I try but how?
Who knows?
EVIDENCE matter's right?

EMR

FREE THINK = CIVILIZED
Sorry I have been ranting?
PERSPECTIVE?

WAX I can't hold it in?
Flower? (it doesn't work to hold it?)
I exhale right away!
MEDICATED anyway?
I can't hold it?
Never had?
Is it a MYTH? (fake science maybe?)

@herbivore21 explain it to me?

Last edited:
Often with vaporizing in my experience the draw is so long that you only need to hold for a few seconds. I get plenty medicated doing it that way. Oxygen deprivation could be part of the high for those that hold for a long time. Just putting that out there.

Do what you like to do and what works.

Iv been aware that holding my breath is pointless, for a long time now...
I like the rebreathe method of exhaling and inhaling a bit....
I find this to be very effective...

But something this article has made me realise, is that when I have a huge evo hit, and vapour is seeping from my mouth and nose, (maybe even my ears for all I know), I have way too much vapour in greedy me...

And im not absorbing a load of it.....
I should stop my draw a little earlier, so I'm not on my lung limits....

Thanks again @momofthegoons, I really enjoy all the articles you post....
Going home to make my cannabis root tea now...

But something this article has made me realise, is that when I have a huge evo hit, and vapour is seeping from my mouth and nose, (maybe even my ears for all I know), I have way too much vapour in greedy me...
My problem is that I often don't realize I have too much in my lungs until it is too late. I notice the vapor seems to expand once it's in my chest.. especially when I dab. Stopping in time seems to be the biggest problem for me, lol.

Like @Kellya86 I've recently been using the rebreathing technique.

I find I like a nice long medium-slow draw through a bubbler, I stop at 1/3 capacity and then inhale deeply as the article describes.

Then I allow the breath out until I begin to see a little wisp of vapour, at which point I breath in again. I repeat this 4-5 times until I no longer see any vapour on the exhale.

I find I can microdose using the above method and still get a great effect from the meds.

The theory behind rebreathing is that the alveoli efficiency improves when the vapour is moving across them rather than sitting statically around them.

Keeping an eye on this thread. Im a fan of pushing my stash as far as it will go. I wish I didn't have to tho... heh.

I am lucky to have unlimited, (more than I can ever get through anyway),high quality, flowers...
Yet I'm still frugal..... why...

Because it's beautiful cannabis for a start...
Who doesnt wanna save it....???

I have a tolerance to think of.... and a life...
Cant be high all the time, unfortunately...

The less I vape, the bigger the rainy day fund gets...
Who knows what will happen....
Stockpiling is fun too....
Nice peace of mind....

I am lucky to have unlimited, (more than I can ever get through anyway),high quality, flowers...
Yet I'm still frugal..... why...

Because it's beautiful cannabis for a start...
Who doesnt wanna save it....???

I have a tolerance to think of.... and a life...
Cant be high all the time, unfortunately...

The less I vape, the bigger the rainy day fund gets...
Who knows what will happen....
Stockpiling is fun too....
Nice peace of mind....

Yeah i understand that. I just see it as how renewable cannabis is. You can grow it over and over pretty quickly when compared to other types of plants. I just mean that if I had the opportunity to grow then I wouldn't be so frugal anymore. With constant grow cycles saving it wouldn't be an issue as the next batch of beautifullness is just around the corner. Also it would allow me to share more. Hell even give some away to friends. Im def not doing that now lol.

Now tolerance is def something to take into consideration, but I feel, for myself at least, that my tolerance is at a constant point. I could increase usage and keep that constant as well without worry of needing "more" to get there. In short tolerance isn't that big of an issue for myself. I know the same cannot be said for others. I never take T breaks. Ever and get irie just the same each and every time.

Regarding being high all the time... some can and others can't. I used to be on the "can't" side of the fence. But that has changed for me. There were times where I'd get social anxiety from cannabis. Didn't want to be around certain people when medicated and shit like that. Then one day I was like "you know this shit isn't harmful and should be considered normal af" so I started to force myself into situations where I'd normally not wanna be high. And not long after that all that anxiety went away. And now I can be ripped just about anywhere. Obviously I don't medicate at work out of respect for my employer, but I totally could be. If im not working... im medicated. And that's ok. Now the level of medication differs from situation to situation, but I can be high around anyone now. Like its not even a big deal at all. Some use sugar. Some use caffeine... etc. I use cannabis. Its natural and safe. I just don't care what others think as much as I used to. Its such a beautiful plant with exponential qualities. I celebrate the fuck out of it.

But... for the sake of this thread... the thought of wasting any destroys me.

My thinking is that my circumstances could change at any time, so I'll make hay while the sun shines, and store as much as possible...

I could be paralysed tomorrow for all I know...
I do ride a sportsbike...???

As for being high all the time...
I work as a carpenter/builder, I don't wanna accidentally cut my hand off...

Also im not so stable at height while high, ironically.....

Also maths doesnt compute as well, and mistakes can be costly.....
I cannot risk the financial impact of stoned mistakes....

Another time i avoid being high is if I'm going out on my bike later on..
Vaping earlier in the day, makes me feel disconnected when I ride later...

Anyway back on topic..
Im gonna make more effort not to waste precious vapour for no reason....

When I was a joint smoker I used to waste loads from my rolling mess...
If I added up all the little bits that were dropped, I'd have a massive pile...
Unfortunately it will all be contaminated with tobacco though.....

Wanna be friends :naughty2:

I've found that anywhere I can improve my technique thus improving my effectiveness and efficiency I get better results.

This goes for:
  • Heating technique
  • Inhalation technique
  • Using high omega 3 rich foods like fish to improve the CB receptors sensitivity/population (something like that)
  • Tolerance management
  • Even getting fitter and healthier has improved the efficiency of my usage and effective
Like @Kellya86 I have a consistent (for now) access to top quality bud however I still feel that being efficient means managing how and when I imbibe.

I prefer to get the day done sober, all the chores completed and any exercise out the way before I settle down to consume. This is partially because my situation means I have to keep my tolerance down. It's partially because bud helps me keep my pain meds low but can actually aggravate my condition if I over indulge.

This article only considers THC transfer efficiency. If THC was the only important compound that I was medically benefiting from in my cannabis extracts, I'd have stuck with isolating THCA crystals when I did so for the first time a couple years ago, rather than learning to make high terpene containing full melt extractions.

THCA/THC ARE NOT ALL THAT MATTERS ABOUT CANNABIS. I assure you, they are boring on their own and provide minimal medical benefit in this fashion. Pharma isolations of THC have shown limited efficacy in the literature. The terps greatly increase the transfer efficiency as they allow THC ease of passage through the body.

A few key pieces of information are provided here that are important:

* Don't bother holding in the vapor for a long time.

* Don't inhale more than you can fit in your actual lungs. The vapor sitting in your mouth and on the way down to your respiratory tract is wasted, as they say.

Do smaller dabs, take shorter rips more frequently to finish your bowl etc. Less is more!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back