Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips Is there a better way

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I've been using pens like the Yocan Evolve and Dr. Dabber to vape my oil. Only problem is the oil keeps leaking down to the battery, and kills it. I'm down to my last battery, a Dr. dabber, and it's now starting to die. :(. Is there a better way to vape oils while you are out and away from home, portable like a pen. Or, is that basically the only option? Could I be doing something wrong? I don't put more than a drop of oil on the coil a time.

Is there something I can use here at home? I've never used an enail or rig before. Keep in mind, I'm a medical MMJ patient, and often times not well and in bed. I need something that can be kept clean easily. Something not extremely expensive because I'm paying medical bills.

Help, please.

I've been using pens like the Yocan Evolve and Dr. Dabber to vape my oil. Only problem is the oil keeps leaking down to the battery, and kills it. I'm down to my last battery, a Dr. dabber, and it's now starting to die. :(. Is there a better way to vape oils while you are out and away from home, portable like a pen. Or, is that basically the only option? Could I be doing something wrong? I don't put more than a drop of oil on the coil a time.

Is there something I can use here at home? I've never used an enail or rig before. Keep in mind, I'm a medical MMJ patient, and often times not well and in bed. I need something that can be kept clean easily. Something not extremely expensive because I'm paying medical bills.

Help, please.

I'm hoping @herbivore21 will lend his wisdom here.

I have been vaping concentrates in my Vapcap. Concentrates like wax, shatter and rosin, so I don't know about oils so much.

Anyway, the more solid full melt concentrates work wonderfully (as do hash and flowers). I take a S&B concentrate pad which is disk shaped and squeeze it into a cylinder shape with some pliers, cut it in half and pop it into the herb chamber of my Vapcap.

The Vapcap is very easy to operate. Takes only a minute to medicate. You can load more than a sessions worth for an all day on demand manual vaporizer. This is a manual vape. No battery or cords and can be heated with just about any heat source from candles and jet lighters to super convenient induction heaters. Just place your Vapcap into the induction heater and wait a few seconds for it to click.

There is a Vapcap model for everyone; from the $50 stainless steel M model, to the Woody series that sport stunning bodies and stems $80+, to the top of the line, indestructible titanium Omnivap at $160.

The Vapcap is super easy to clean and maintain due to its simple genius design.

Again, I've never tried it with oils but I'm betting it works. I say this because I've read of people vaping reclaim, which is an oil, on a hemp fiber bed and maybe the concentrate pads would work with oils as well.

I'm hoping @herbivore21 will lend his wisdom here.

I have been vaping concentrates in my Vapcap. Concentrates like wax, shatter and rosin, so I don't know about oils so much.

Anyway, the more solid full melt concentrates work wonderfully (as do hash and flowers). I take a S&B concentrate pad which is disk shaped and squeeze it into a cylinder shape with some pliers, cut it in half and pop it into the herb chamber of my Vapcap.

The Vapcap is very easy to operate. Takes only a minute to medicate. You can load more than a sessions worth for an all day on demand manual vaporizer. This is a manual vape. No battery or cords and can be heated with just about any heat source from candles and jet lighters to super convenient induction heaters. Just place your Vapcap into the induction heater and wait a few seconds for it to click.

There is a Vapcap model for everyone; from the $50 stainless steel M model, to the Woody series that sport stunning bodies and stems $80+, to the top of the line, indestructible titanium Omnivap at $160.

The Vapcap is super easy to clean and maintain due to its simple genius design.

Again, I've never tried it with oils but I'm betting it works. I say this because I've read of people vaping reclaim, which is an oil, on a hemp fiber bed and maybe the concentrate pads would work with oils as well.

I'll go look that one up now, thank you.

I have a feeling that part of the problem is that you are using oil rather than wax or a more solid type of concentrate. I think these portable pens, for the most part, are meant to be used with shatter or crumble like waxes. When I was first looking into pre-filled cartridges, someone told me they had had leakage problems using the Dr. Dabber battery with it and suggested I buy one of these. They're fairly inexpensive (approx $8 each) and are the type that light up when you hit them
HTyJtec.jpg
:

I'm thinking that for a portable situation, you might also look into something that uses an atty like the Puffco Plus uses. It's a ceramic chamber and sort of acts like a portable dab unit. I'm not sure how it would work out and about with oil though. I haven't used it for that.

zKGTpwX.jpg

Now a home unit is a whole different ballgame. I haven't tried one, but the most portable seems like it would be something like the Dr. Dabber Boost E Rig. That would be something you could have bedside.

Getting into an enail can be expensive and is not at all portable so I'm not sure it would fit the need here Vicki. But should you go that route, you will need a bubbler, a quartz or titanium nail and the controller. It adds up and would probably cost you a minimum of $300 - $400; depending on what brand you go with. You can get them cheap but I've found you get what you pay for.

Edit to add: Squiby has a great idea with the Vapcap. I've heard of a lot of people enjoying concentrates in them.

I wish I had a Dynavap I could try. It looks a little complicated. I actually have a couple Ubie's stored away, and this looks kinda similar.

The Boost erig looks very promising, and it's on sale! I might pick that one up this Friday. It looks great for home use.

Then I just need something to use when I go out, which isn't often.

I'm about to pull the trigger on the Dr. Dabber Boost e-rig because it's on sale, and I have a code, which makes it $108.00 total. Seems like an awesome deal to me! What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please be careful of all of those mass rebadged chinese manufactured battery enail all in one things. A lot of them have known safety issues in the design.

My recommendation for all medical users is to get your hands on a SiC enail and a rig. SiC is the best option for an inert nail that provides excellent taste, is chemically inert, very durable, resistant to aggressive torch cleaning and able to be used with a torch or an enail controller. Get a rig with diffusion to your preference. Cheap rigs can be had of course, you do not need to spend a lot on serviceable, safe and clean glass. You do not even need to go to China to find rigs that are reasonably priced.

Cheap enail controllers are easy to find. My recommendation is find a good low-cost enail controller (others here can help with that, I'm sure), flat coil heater and get a d-nail SiC halo with the slim series base, carb cap and forked dabber. You'll be starting out with the best nail setup (not necessarily controller, but that shouldn't matter if you choose well) on the market, and should be able to have all of that for $350-400 usd or so. In other words, cheaper than a premium flower vape. There is no flower vape that meets the cleanliness, material safety and flavor of a SiC e-nail and glass rig setup IME. The price of this sort of setup is easily justified.

The Puffco+ is great, but I do not recommend using one with especially runny oily concentrates. Viscous oils like short path distillates may work, depending on how viscous they are.

I absolutely recommend buying a vapcap M right away and making some concentrate pads, there are a number of approaches people here have tried with great success. Check out the dynavap thread for some ideas aside from my idea above that Squiby suggests, using S & B concentrate pads that are resized. This is an incredibly cheap setup, it is very simple to use. Heat the tip with any flame or heat source til it clicks (add 1-4 seconds wait after the click for concentrates depending on your desire for clouds), inhale, do not touch the hot end until after you hear it click again. Repeat when necessary.

It is not comparable to other butane vapes because you have more feedback as to how much heat you have applied thanks to the click.

A SiC halo e-nail + rig, a vapcap M and a puffco+ on a TCR mod are my recommendations to cover all usage scenarios for a medical user. Please do ask any further questions if you need clarification, I know this discusses a number of different vapes lol.

Please be careful of all of those mass rebadged chinese manufactured battery enail all in one things. A lot of them have known safety issues in the design.

My recommendation for all medical users is to get your hands on a SiC enail and a rig. SiC is the best option for an inert nail that provides excellent taste, is chemically inert, very durable, resistant to aggressive torch cleaning and able to be used with a torch or an enail controller. Get a rig with diffusion to your preference. Cheap rigs can be had of course, you do not need to spend a lot on serviceable, safe and clean glass. You do not even need to go to China to find rigs that are reasonably priced.

Cheap enail controllers are easy to find. My recommendation is find a good low-cost enail controller (others here can help with that, I'm sure), flat coil heater and get a d-nail SiC halo with the slim series base, carb cap and forked dabber. You'll be starting out with the best nail setup (not necessarily controller, but that shouldn't matter if you choose well) on the market, and should be able to have all of that for $350-400 usd or so. In other words, cheaper than a premium flower vape. There is no flower vape that meets the cleanliness, material safety and flavor of a SiC e-nail and glass rig setup IME. The price of this sort of setup is easily justified.

The Puffco+ is great, but I do not recommend using one with especially runny oily concentrates. Viscous oils like short path distillates may work, depending on how viscous they are.

I absolutely recommend buying a vapcap M right away and making some concentrate pads, there are a number of approaches people here have tried with great success. Check out the dynavap thread for some ideas aside from my idea above that Squiby suggests, using S & B concentrate pads that are resized. This is an incredibly cheap setup, it is very simple to use. Heat the tip with any flame or heat source til it clicks (add 1-4 seconds wait after the click for concentrates depending on your desire for clouds), inhale, do not touch the hot end until after you hear it click again. Repeat when necessary.

It is not comparable to other butane vapes because you have more feedback as to how much heat you have applied thanks to the click.

A SiC halo e-nail + rig, a vapcap M and a puffco+ on a TCR mod are my recommendations to cover all usage scenarios for a medical user. Please do ask any further questions if you need clarification, I know this discusses a number of different vapes lol.

Thank you for the help!!

@momofthegoons has it right, I believe. The issue with concentrate pens is that they do NOT work well with very thin oil and really seem to be made to work with much more viscous/solid concentrates.

The problem they have is the atomizers aren't fully sealed. Think about it....there is some sort of heating element which needs access to electrical power from the battery with a mechanical screw down interface (the '510' threads or EGO). Wires from the atomizers battery contact must go through into the oven area to connect to the heating coil. This is where the leak. Either directly through the bottom of the oven or through the air holes, in-between the oven walls, and hence again down to the battery fitting.

Even with more viscous concentrates, you still will have leakage, just not as bad. For any/all concentrate pens/atomizers the owner needs to remove the atomizer once in a while and take a q-tip with ISO and clean up both side of the electrical connection from battery to atomizer.

The Puffco Plus that was shown above is supposed to be fully sealed. I cannot confirm that directly but I have also been given to understand that they have a pretty high draw resistance (but again, I have not used on personally).

While I'm not sure what exactly @herbivore21 is referring to, I have found some of the Chinese stuff to be junk. In particular, I had a bad experience with Greenlight.

@Vicki - might also want to take a look at Source products also.

https://www.sourcevapes.com/product...quartz-coil-less-titanium-ceramic-premium-kit

https://www.sourcevapes.com/collections/source-orb

I personally like a good enail and banger but it is a pain to set up, doesn't fit everybody's life style, and there really needs to be a better mid-priced portable solution for concentrates.

Cheers

@momofthegoons has it right, I believe. The issue with concentrate pens is that they do NOT work well with very thin oil and really seem to be made to work with much more viscous/solid concentrates.

The problem they have is the atomizers aren't fully sealed. Think about it....there is some sort of heating element which needs access to electrical power from the battery with a mechanical screw down interface (the '510' threads or EGO). Wires from the atomizers battery contact must go through into the oven area to connect to the heating coil. This is where the leak. Either directly through the bottom of the oven or through the air holes, in-between the oven walls, and hence again down to the battery fitting.

Even with more viscous concentrates, you still will have leakage, just not as bad. For any/all concentrate pens/atomizers the owner needs to remove the atomizer once in a while and take a q-tip with ISO and clean up both side of the electrical connection from battery to atomizer.

The Puffco Plus that was shown above is supposed to be fully sealed. I cannot confirm that directly but I have also been given to understand that they have a pretty high draw resistance (but again, I have not used on personally).

While I'm not sure what exactly @herbivore21 is referring to, I have found some of the Chinese stuff to be junk. In particular, I had a bad experience with Greenlight.

@Vicki - might also want to take a look at Source products also.

https://www.sourcevapes.com/product...quartz-coil-less-titanium-ceramic-premium-kit

https://www.sourcevapes.com/collections/source-orb

I personally like a good enail and banger but it is a pain to set up, doesn't fit everybody's life style, and there really needs to be a better mid-priced portable solution for concentrates.

Cheers

Thank you! I agree. An enail and banger are just not for me.

I'm not well a lot of the time, and I really need ease of use, and something easily cleaned. The Boost seems to fit that criteria.

I cannot comment on the Dr Dabber line as I've never used one, but I have a Chinese knockoff of that style of Erig; they work pretty great! It took me a bit to get to technique down because the nail heats up then only stays at temp for ~20 seconds before turning itself off, and I was used to the on demand atomizer style hits. But once I got it figured out it was enjoyable!

Great for low temp hits because it won't just keep heating up forever and they don't get as gummed up as coils. The only thing I'm not sure about with that Dr dabber is it seems like the battery is internal? I prefer devices with replaceable batteries, my knockoff unscrews and has an 18650 inside which I think is great. Might not be a big concern for you though.

I second @Baron23's recommendation to check out Source as well! Tons of atomizers and styles to choose from. They have an Erig similar to the Dr Dabber, and a more expensive one that comes with a box mod so it offers full temp control. The Dr dabber doesn't really have any temp control it just heats up to it's pre-sets, but I think most of the Source line at least has adjustable watts.

I've had great experiences with the Source line in the past, been buying from them for years. They have excellent customer service and lifetime warranty on most batteries! If your battery fails for any reason they just replace it no questions asked. I've had about 6 different models now, 1 battery arrived that wouldn't charge fully. They sent me out a replacement immediately and I got to keep the functioning partially defective battery too! They also sent me out upgraded parts for free because I purchased an item just before it got a revision. I had no idea there were any improvements so they totally didn't have to do that, the part I had worked totally fine; just looking out for the customer. And none of the many coils I've ordered from them have arrived defective like happened to me with some other brands.

I could not see it mentioned on the webpage or in the user manual I just read through..So that lead me to think it's not a replaceable battery, otherwise they would mention it as a selling point/shown how to remove it in the manual right?..

Nope, guess I was wrong :doh: The Dr Dabber Boost has a removable 18650 battery as well! I just checked the Vape Critic review and he shows it at about 1:40

Nice, it is replaceable! Thank you! Then, I'd just need to get more batteries and a charger at some time. I saw that it takes 8 hours to charge when it dies! That's a crazy long time! Also supposed to use it and drain it completely before it's first charge to prolong battery life. If the Boost truly gets about 50 cycles daily, I should be ok with only charging it nightly.

I can get 2 18650 batteries and a charger for $12.99 on Amazon. That's too cheap to pass up. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back