Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Jeff Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ataxian normally I wouldn't put much stock in memes like this. But... according to snopes...

"Jeff Sessions does have shares in two funds that include holdings in two leading private prisons companies."

however......

"These are widely-diversified funds, involving 3,557 and 1,422 companies respectively; the Attorney General's annual income from them is relatively low, meaning he does not stand to gain financially in a meaningful way if the private prisons industry increases in value; his investments do not fall foul of conflict of interest rules."

but....

"It’s more than a conflict of interest. The more people Attorney General Jeff Sessions sends to private prisons, the more money he shoves in his pockets. From announcing he wants federal law enforcement agencies to bust people for a little bit of weed, to ordering federal prosecutors to find ways to convict more immigrants, Sessions is looking for ways to provide more clients to private prisons that are contracted by the federal government…

…As Attorney General Sessions fills these private prisons, he is making money. According to his latest financial disclosures required by congress, dated December 23, 2016, he divested of other investments that were found to be in conflict. In these disclosures, he also lists numerous Vanguard funds. Vanguard owns more private prison stock than any other investment management company."

and the article goes on to explain it some more. So I don't know if this is the driving motive in all of this or if he's just got a burr going about cannabis and is setting out to make point now that he's in 'power.' No matter what is presented to him to the contrary of his opinions. Which is what he's basing his actions on. He's our politicians (and the problems that stem from them) on steroids. No worry about the will of the people. Or what they voted for. It's all about what they think is best for us.

Or... it could be a combination of both. :twocents:

These are widely-diversified funds, involving 3,557 and 1,422 companies respectively; the Attorney General's annual income from them is relatively low, meaning he does not stand to gain financially in a meaningful way if the private prisons industry increases in value; his investments do not fall foul of conflict of interest rules."

Most of my retirement accounts are in managed accounts or funds and without a GREAT deal of daily scrutiny, I don't really know nor care what's in them. I have an allocation model that they meet and we evaluate them periodically based on their return...nothing else.

Probably have some commercial prison stock in there somewhere...no idea and not looking.

I personally think its a red herring and not needed as IMO Sessions is legitimately subject to much greater criticism than this.

Professional Trump lap dog Rick Scott is in lockstep with Sessions. Sorry to post this @Vicki.

http://www.wesh.com/article/gov-rick-scott-discusses-marijuana-enforcement-in-orlando/14755197

"My job is to make sure we always comply with state, local and federal law. So, we'll review it, and we're going to comply with whatever the law is. I'll work to make sure our Department of Health complies with the law," Scott said.

Scott is awful and I dearly hope that FL jettisons his ass.

"Carla Lowe, the Northern California director for the advocacy group Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana, said she hoped the Sessions memo would focus attention on a drug that was being produced at much higher levels of potency than in previous decades.

“I’m concerned what this is doing to developing brains in young people,” she said."
I can't stand...I mean I really fucking loathe....people like this shit head Lowe who are too cowardly to defend their prohibitionist, fascist, policies and need to wrap themselves up in the flag of "oh, but what about the children" to justify their otherwise untenable positions.

If you want to be a self-righteous, paternalistic, fascist.....go right ahead but at least be hones that this is just YOU trying impose YOUR will on others....it ain't about the "children" and even if it was, this whole country is NOT your nursery. I just don't get why people like her think I have any responsibility for properly raising her spawn.

California Defiant in Face of Federal Move to Get Tough on Marijuana

SAN FRANCISCO — The sale of recreational cannabis became legal in California on New Year’s Day. Four days later, the Trump administration acted in effect to undermine that state law by allowing federal prosecutors to be more aggressive in prosecuting marijuana cases.

A memo by Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday was widely interpreted in the nation’s most populous state as the latest example of Trump vs. California, a multifront battle of issues ranging from immigration to taxes to the environment.

And on marijuana, once again California reacted with defiance.

“There is no question California will ultimately prevail,” Gavin Newsom, the lieutenant governor of California, said. “The public has accepted legalization’s inevitability. It will be very difficult for Sessions to bring us back to a mind-set that existed five years or a decade ago.”

The head of California’s Bureau of Cannabis Control, Lori Ajax, said legalization would proceed as planned, “consistent with the will of California’s voters.”

Although medical marijuana is legal in some form in 29 states and recreational marijuana is sold in six states, it remains banned by the federal government and is classified in the same category as heroin.

It is too early to tell how federal prosecutors around the country will interpret the Sessions memo, which rescinded guidance by the Obama administration that had discouraged the bringing of charges involving marijuana-related crimes in states that have legalized the drug.

The memo reminded prosecutors that “marijuana activity is a serious crime.” Mr. Sessions said in a statement that “stricter enforcement by prosecutors will help tackle the growing drug crisis, and thwart violent crime across our country.”

Leading voices in California’s marijuana industry said Thursday that while the announcement by Mr. Sessions might have punctured some of the excitement surrounding legalization, it did not change their plans to take part in what is the world’s largest legal market for recreational pot.

“This has changed zero on the ground for us,” said Steve DeAngelo, the executive director of Harborside, a company with dispensaries in Oakland and San Jose.

“I don’t think this is going to result in any serious attempt to shut down the legal cannabis industry,” Mr. DeAngelo said. “It’s more of a delaying tactic than a knife to the throat of the industry.”

Californians approved Proposition 64, which allowed for recreational use of the drug, by a 57 to 43 percent margin in a November 2016 ballot initiative.

Carla Lowe, the Northern California director for the advocacy group Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana, said she hoped the Sessions memo would focus attention on a drug that was being produced at much higher levels of potency than in previous decades.

“I’m concerned what this is doing to developing brains in young people,” she said.

“I would hope this would get the attention of some of the people who are law-abiding citizens,” Ms. Lowe said. “But I don’t know that there’s much hope in California.”

Lawyers who specialize in cannabis said they were skeptical that federal prosecutors would be more aggressive in California for several reasons, including a perceived reluctance of jurors in the state to convict marijuana cases, especially small-scale ones, that do not involve other crimes. Lawyers also point out that the Trump administration has not yet appointed its own federal prosecutors in California.

Additionally lawyers said the Justice Department is constrained by the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment, which has been attached to Congressional budget bills in recent years, and prohibits the Justice Department from spending money on the implementation of state medical cannabis laws.

“The message to the industry is that nothing has really changed,” said Sean McAllister, a lawyer who specializes in cannabis cases in California and Colorado. “The industry has flourished in an environment of uncertainty for the past 20 years. Sessions’ memo does not create any additional uncertainty that did not already exist.”

But the uncertainty is nonetheless substantial. The Sessions announcement may give further pause to large companies that have been reluctant to invest in the marijuana business because of fear of retaliation by federal authorities. And small-scale veterans of the industry — the cottage marijuana businesses in the famed Emerald Triangle of Northern California, among others — face potential threats of forfeiture, as they always have. If prosecutors were to crack down, sellers and anyone caught in possession of the drug could go to jail.

Yet as a practical matter, officials from the federal Drug Enforcement Administration have said that combating opioid trafficking is much more important than cracking down on marijuana given the agency’s stretched resources.

Russ Baer, a spokesman for the Drug Enforcement Administration, said in an interview last year that most of the agency’s resources were being spent on combating opioids. “We are spread thin,” he said.

Local law enforcement is also stretched. Thomas D. Allman, the sheriff of Mendocino County, one of the three counties in the Emerald Triangle, said Thursday that investigating marijuana cultivation was not a high priority, unless it was “out of control” or involved other crimes, such as the environmental damage.

“If somebody is obeying state law, I’m going to say there are not many local law enforcement agencies who are going to be rushing out to do an investigation,” Sheriff Allman said. “There are many other crimes we can focus on that impact the safety of the community.”

Hezekiah Allen, the executive director of the California Growers Association, a cannabis industry group, says while marijuana growers are concerned about the more aggressive federal posture, longtime growers have seen it before.

“Folks that have been at this for a few generations remember that this is a cycle,” Mr. Allen said. “Federal enforcement ebbs and flows and it has for decades. This is another enforcement cycle but this time we have a state government that is working with us. And frankly enforcement wasn’t all that effective in the past.”

On Thursday, among customers at the Berkeley Patients Group, a dispensary that sells recreational marijuana, there was defiance and eye-rolling among when asked about the Sessions memo.

“To me, they’ve always wanted to destroy everything Obama did. It’s all in that vein,” said Barry Alexander, 61, a supervisor at a Whole Foods supermarket. Mr. Alexander was skeptical that the Trump administration could do much to change legalization in California. “We’re like Texas, we’re our own country,” he said.

Ian Carr, 23, a construction worker who bought cannabis at another dispensary in Berkeley, the Cannabis Buyers Club, shrugged off the prospect of a federal crackdown.

“I’ve been using marijuana since before it was legal,” he said. “So I’d just go back to that.”

“I would encourage people not to freak out”: Colorado Attorney General on Sessions marijuana shift

By Jon Murray and Jesse Paul, The Denver Post

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ policy announcement Thursday giving federal prosecutors more leeway to crack down on legal marijuana set off a political firestorm in Colorado, with some of the state’s fellow Republicans charging the Trump administration with trampling on the will of voters and even over-reach.

But the immediate impact of Sessions’ unraveling of several Obama-era policy memos — which set out guidelines for states to follow, such as keeping marijuana from crossing state borders — still was unclear. Across the board, the change caught officials by surprise.

“I would encourage people not to freak out,” Colorado Attorney General Cynthia Coffman told reporters, adding that she called the state’s interim U.S. Attorney Bob Troyer after Sessions made his announcement.

Related stories
She was reassured by their conversation, she said, believing that Troyer and the federal prosecutors he oversees would remain focused on the black and gray markets — and not shift to a crack down on legal recreational or medical marijuana sales in Colorado. A statement from Troyer also said he anticipated no major change in his office’s enforcement priorities.

But Colorado’s elected officials, from both sides of the aisle and from the Denver mayor’s office to the state Capitol and the halls of Congress, saw Sessions’ announcement as a shot across the bow that threatened to interfere with Colorado’s legal markets.

I believe sessions timing will lead to a punishing defeat in this, an election year. Elections matter and I believe it's time to clear the opposition at the ballot box.

This may be a cynical attempt to take the focus off of Russian involvement in our last presidential election. Although both are sure to rile up already energized voters. Even if no new enforcement takes place.

Can we just get to November 18? I can't wait, lol.

I believe sessions timing will lead to a punishing defeat in this, an election year. Elections matter and I believe it's time to clear the opposition at the ballot box.

This may be a cynical attempt to take the focus off of Russian involvement in our last presidential election. Although both are sure to rile up already energized voters. Even if no new enforcement takes place.

Can we just get to November 18? I can't wait, lol.

Now now...

People are allowed their opinion.

The tide has already changed, we're just part of the generations that suffer in between to get there.

Peace!

I'm allowed an opinion too, of course...

Which is that history will show them to be erudite fools, cutting off their noses to spite their faces, the product of decades of corporate and LE profiteering via the demonization of cannabis.

6cda109cbad27df74291ea12b6c4eca8--barney-fife-law.jpg

Professional Trump lap dog Rick Scott is in lockstep with Sessions. Sorry to post this @Vicki.

http://www.wesh.com/article/gov-rick-scott-discusses-marijuana-enforcement-in-orlando/14755197

"My job is to make sure we always comply with state, local and federal law. So, we'll review it, and we're going to comply with whatever the law is. I'll work to make sure our Department of Health complies with the law," Scott said.

Rick Scott is a true bastard too. We just got medical cannabis here too.

Well, it appears that large swaths of this country are telling Jeffey Sessions to go take a flying fuck at a donut. All good! :buzz::cool::whipit::thumbsup::weed:

Industry insiders, state officials in recreational cannabis markets vow to stay the course

Prominent figures from the nine recreational marijuana markets in the United States reacted defiantly to the announcement that Attorney General Jeff Sessions is throwing out Obama-era protections for the legalized cannabis industry.

From Alaska to Maine, industry insiders in states with legal adult-use programs and politicians from both sides of the aisle spoke out against the action.

But most seemed relatively calm as they prepared to sort out what the demise of the Cole Memo might mean for the industry.

In fact, the majority opinion seemed to be that the marijuana industry should conduct “business as usual.”

Here’s a look at the U.S. recreational markets:

Alaska

Alaska’s recreational marijuana business owners shouldn’t get too skittish about the news, insiders said.

Legal cannabis continues to grow in popularity, and the state has come to rely on the tax dollars the program generates, said Cary Carrigan, executive director of the Alaska Marijuana Industry Association.

According to a statement from the industry, “This is a clear slap in the face to the American voters and residents of Alaska, who overwhelmingly and resoundingly have supported this industry at the ballot box.”

Carrigan pointed out that U.S. Rep. Don Young – a Republican who’s a member of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus – and Alaska legislators traditionally have been supportive.

Jana Weltzen, a cannabis attorney in Anchorage, also isn’t worried. She believes federal prosecutors in Alaska have bigger fish to fry.

“Alaska has some of the highest crime statistics in the nation,” she said, “so I’m guessing their focus is going to be on criminal activity that isn’t marijuana.”

She also noted that Gov. Bill Walker has been an ally to adult-use cannabis.

Walker, an independent, was one of four governors who sent a letter to Sessions last year asking the Department of Justice to maintain the Obama administration’s hands-off enforcement approach to states that have legalized cannabis.

“We feel comfortable with our Gov. Walker,” she said.

California

Up and down the Golden State, public officials and cannabis industry leaders said the marijuana sector will continue uninterrupted.

And companies say they’ll keep operating as normal and regulators don’t intend on changing course.

Lori Ajax, the chief of the California Bureau of Cannabis Control, said in a statement that she “fully expects” the DOJ and Trump administration to “respect the rights of states” when it comes to voter-supported legalization regimes.

But even if they don’t, there’s no indication the loss of the Cole Memo will affect any California policies.

“We’ll continue to move forward with the state’s regulatory processes covering both medicinal and adult-use cannabis, consistent with the will of California’s voters, while defending our state’s laws to the fullest extent,” Ajax said in the statement.

Other California officials offered similar stances.

Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, a Democrat, called the move “an ideological temper tantrum by Jeff Sessions,” and Los Angeles City Council President Herb Wesson said it was an example of “Washington running amok.”

“California will stand together to pursue all legal, legislative and political options to protect its reforms and its rights as a state,” Newsom said in a statement.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said he intends to “vigorously enforce our state’s laws and protect our state’s interests.”

“In California, we decided it was best to regulate, not criminalize, cannabis,” Becerra continued in his statement. “After all, this is 2018, not the 20th century.”

Wesson, meanwhile, issued one of the more strongly worded responses by a California public official:

“We will not be bullied by an out-of-town and out-of-touch politician,” he said. “The voters of California and Los Angeles have spoken, and we will continue doing our job of reasonably regulating the cannabis industry.”

Colorado

Government leaders in Colorado – which has the longest-running recreational marijuana program – came out against Sessions’ actions in force.

Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper, who joined Alaska’s Gov. Walker in writing a letter last year objecting to Sessions’ position on cannabis, released a statement that said, in part, “today’s decision does not alter the strength of our resolve … nor does it change my constitutional responsibilities.”

Republican Sen. Cory Gardner said he’s prepared “to take all steps necessary,” including holding up the confirmation of Justice Department nominees, “until the attorney general lives up to the commitment he made to me prior to his confirmation.”

Brian Vicente, a cannabis attorney in Denver, said he thinks it’s unlikely there will be a dramatic enforcement ramp-up stemming from Sessions’ announcement and is heartened by the bipartisan backlash against Sessions’ actions.

“But it’s certainly possible that U.S. attorneys around the country, perhaps in certain areas that do have marijuana laws, may choose to make this more of a priority,” he added.

He offered the following advice for business owners:

“This is the time to double down on compliance. Make sure you’re following all state and local laws. Get your taxes up to date. Continue to be good neighbors. If all those activities are followed, I’m not too concerned about Colorado’s business owners.”

Colorado’s U.S. attorney, Bob Troyer, issued a statement saying, in part, that his office already has been following the principles Sessions issued – a sign that he won’t make any major changes in enforcement policies.

“We will, consistent with the Attorney General’s latest guidance, continue to take this approach in all of our work with our law enforcement partners throughout Colorado,” Troyer said.

Maine

Even though Mainers voted to approve recreational marijuana in 2016, Gov. Paul LePage, a Republican, has steadfastly stood in the way of creating a working program, and Sessions’ announcement likely will only solidify his opposition.

“It’s going to hamper the rollout of the market,” said David Boyer, the Maine political director for the Marijuana Policy Project.

Boyer hopes Maine’s federal prosecutor follows the will of the voters and doesn’t crack down on the adult-use market.

But there’s still work to be done to implement Maine’s adult-use program.

A legislative hearing is scheduled for Friday to propose a bill with a new regulatory framework. The measure was approved by lawmakers then vetoed by LePage in 2017.

In nixing the bill, LePage cited concerns over the federal illegality of cannabis. A subsequent effort to override the veto failed.

In order to implement the rec program – provided that LePage vetoes another bill – Boyer said it will require changing the minds of Republican lawmakers to get the necessary two-thirds vote to override the governor.

“But (LePage) is still in charge of these government agencies,” Boyer said. “He now has a little more cover to say that he’s not going to implement it even though the legislature passed it.”

Massachusetts

After Sessions’ announcement, Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said the state plans to push forward with implementation of adult-use cannabis sales.

The Republican also called Sessions’ move “the wrong decision.”

Massachusetts voters approved recreational marijuana in 2016, and progress is being made toward a July 1 launch of sales. In December, the state’s Cannabis Control Commission approved a set of draft regulations.

The commission said in a statement that “nothing has changed” because of Sessions’ announcement.

“We will continue to move forward with our process to establish and implement sensible regulations for this emerging industry in Massachusetts.”

Kris Krane, managing partner of Boston-based 4Front Ventures, said Massachusetts cannabis businesses are in a different position than those in states that have already begun recreational sales because the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer Amendment remains intact.

“The justice department and these U.S. attorneys are still, regardless of the Cole Memo, prohibited from cracking down on state-legal medical marijuana businesses,” Krane said.

“In Massachusetts, at least right now, everybody that’s licensed and operational is licensed under the medical program.”

The July deadline to begin adult-use sales gives the state’s industry about half a year to assess what this really means, he added.

“The fact that Massachusetts has taken so long to implement their adult-use program may be somewhat beneficial,” Krane said. “It gives businesses time to assess what the new reality actually is.”

Nevada

Nevada’s recreational market hasn’t even hit full stride and it’s already outpacing expectations.

With each month setting records in sales – more than $38 million in October alone – lawmakers don’t seem too eager to slow the program.

Rep. Dina Titus of Nevada’s First Congressional District said in a statement Thursday that Sessions’ actions were a “direct attack on the state of Nevada, sovereign tribal governments and the rights of people in states, tribes and territories all across the United States.”

She went on to say rescinding the Cole Memo “undermines Nevada’s $622 million industry, threatens nearly $1 billion in new investments and jeopardizes thousands of new jobs and more than $60 million in tax revenue for the state.”

According to The Associated Press, Nevada Sen. Richard “Tick” Segerblom, a Democrat, said a federal crackdown could kill an industry on which the state now depends.

Republican U.S. Sen. Dean Heller of Nevada said Justice Department officials should meet with Gov. Brian Sandoval and state Attorney General Adam Laxalt, also Republicans, about how the policy change might affect Nevada, according to the AP.

Oregon

David Kopilak, a shareholder in Portland’s Emerge Law Group, said it’s tough to predict how Oregon’s U.S. attorney, Billy Williams, will respond to Sessions’ policy change.

Kopilak noted, however that Williams has “adhered” to the Cole Memo and has yet to go after a state-compliant marijuana business.

But Williams did aggressively pursue federal charges for marijuana possession against 19-year-old Native American Devontre Thomas, who faced a year in prison over 1 gram of marijuana.

When news of the prosecution went public, Williams faced a fierce backlash from Oregon voters and politicians and eventually dropped the charges against the teen.

Meanwhile, Gov. Kate Brown, a Democrat, issued this statement:

“Reports that Attorney General Jeff Sessions will roll back federal marijuana policy are deeply concerning and disruptive to our state’s economy.

“Over 19,000 jobs have been created by the market Oregon worked carefully to build in good faith and in accordance with the Cole Memorandum.

“The federal government must keep its promise to states that relied on its guidance.”

Kopilak also predicted that marijuana businesses already in operation would continue to stay open, but that people looking to break into the industry may now wait to see what happens.

“For those already in the business, it’s business as usual,” he said. “For those thinking about getting in but who aren’t in yet, it may have a chilling effect.”

Washington state

Much like Colorado, Washington’s program has been around too long to go anywhere now, according to industry watchers.

The state’s governor and attorney general as well as Seattle’s mayor all spoke out against Sessions’ actions.

Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee called the revocation of the Cole Memo “the wrong direction for our state.”

“In Washington state we have put in place a system in place that adheres to what we pledged to the people of Washington and the federal government,” he wrote in a statement.

“It’s well regulated, keeps criminal elements out, keeps pot out of the hands of kids and tracks it all carefully enough to clamp down on cross-border leakage.

“We are going to keep doing that and overseeing the well-regulated market that Washington voters approved.”

Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson added:

“I am disappointed … that AG Sessions plans to abandon the current federal policy on marijuana — a policy that respects states’ rights and focuses federal enforcement on key, shared areas of concern.”

Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, a former U.S. Attorney for Western Washington, said:

“Reversing course now is a misguided legal overreach and an attack on Seattle, the state of Washington and a majority of states where the voters have made their voices heard loud and clear.”

According to U.S. Attorney Annette Hayes, who represents Western Washington, (Sessions) “reiterated his confidence in the basic principles that guide the discretion of all U.S. Attorneys around the country, and directed that those principles shepherd enforcement of federal law regarding marijuana.”

It’s still too early to tell what this all mean for cannabis business owners in Washington state, said one marijuana lawyer.

“But marijuana businesses need to know that this is a huge shift in federal marijuana enforcement policy,” said Daniel Shortt, a Seattle-based cannabis attorney.

Washington DC

The District of Columbia is a unique marijuana market.

While adults are allowed to grow and possess cannabis for personal use, sales and purchases are not permitted under the district’s current law.

That means there are no recreational businesses for federal officials to go after.

The U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, Jessie Liu, could not be reached for comment, and there don’t appear to be any statements or cases involving marijuana that might reveal how she will approach Session’s announcement.

"Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the Democratic leader whose state began allowing the sale of recreational marijuana this week, also pointed to the strong national sentiment for legalization shown in votes around the country in recent years.

“Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s decision bulldozes over the will of the American people and insults the democratic process under which majorities of voters in California and in states across the nation supported decriminalization at the ballot box,” she said. “Yet again, Republicans expose their utter hypocrisy in paying lip service to states’ rights while trampling over laws they personally dislike.”

Then I see where Elizabeth Warren was grand standing with the Wells Fargo CEO about why his bank isn't supporting legal MJ commerce.

Then I see Gardner (R CO) saying "“The people of Colorado spoke — they spoke loudly,”
So, this is my question....if all of these fucking legislators recognize the clear will of the people, on a state by state basis as well as the country as a whole, is in support of MJ legalization, then why have they done fuck all about it!! :horse:

Not a single one of these motherfuckers have EVER co-sponsored any bill related to normalizing MJ business in the USA. Certainly Pelosi and Obama had the opportunity and did nothing....and she wants to talk about "utter hypocrisy"?

Fuck that and fuck them. There is a valid point that the Federal laws are still the laws of the land. So, if our “The people of Colorado spoke — they spoke loudly,” representative branches of our have such a clear view of the will of the electorate, why is it still schedule 1...why is it still illegal....why is it that they haven't done a fucking thing about it??

New Pot Policy by Trump Administration Draws Bipartisan Fire

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration finally crossed the line for some members of Congress this week, provoking bipartisan umbrage and accompanying pledges to hold top officials accountable.

Many thought the day had been far too long in coming. Few thought the galvanizing issue would be weed.

Both Republicans and Democrats reacted with dismay and howls of betrayal to the decision by Attorney General Jeff Sessions to renew tough federal enforcement of marijuana laws, illustrating the growing power both politically and economically of the emerging industry.

“I am obligated to the people of Colorado to take all steps necessary to protect the state of Colorado and their rights,” said Senator Cory Gardner of Colorado, a conservative member of the Republican leadership who has rarely broken with the Trump White House.

Mr. Gardner said he had been assured by both President Trump and Mr. Sessions before voting for the attorney general’s confirmation that backtracking on marijuana would not be a focus of the administration. The senator seemed flabbergasted by what amounted to a federal assault on the expanding $1 billion legal pot business approved by voters in Colorado, and he threatened to try to block all Justice Department nominees until Mr. Sessions backed off.

He was not the only unhappy Republican. Senator Lisa Murkowski of Alaska said in a statement that she had repeatedly discouraged Mr. Sessions from taking action on marijuana, a move that she called regrettable and disruptive.

Representative Matt Gaetz of Florida, a leading Trump ally in the House, said the decision would deny relief to suffering cancer patients, including children. He said the move by Mr. Sessions was “heartless and cold, and shows his desire to pursue an antiquated, disproven dogma instead of the will of the American people. He should focus his energies on prosecuting criminals, not patients.”

Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the Democratic leader whose state began allowing the sale of recreational marijuana this week, also pointed to the strong national sentiment for legalization shown in votes around the country in recent years.

“Attorney General Jeff Sessions’s decision bulldozes over the will of the American people and insults the democratic process under which majorities of voters in California and in states across the nation supported decriminalization at the ballot box,” she said. “Yet again, Republicans expose their utter hypocrisy in paying lip service to states’ rights while trampling over laws they personally dislike.”

She and Senator Patrick J. Leahy, Democrat of Vermont, said they would try to use a pending spending package to prevent Mr. Sessions from following through on the plan to overturn an Obama-era policy that made marijuana prohibition a low priority for law enforcement. Mr. Leahy noted that such a provision had previously passed the Senate Appropriations Committee with support from both parties.

The pushback was not the only bipartisan resistance coming in the middle of the furor surrounding Mr. Trump’s emphatic break with his former chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, in the aftermath of his reported comments in a new book about the presidency. An Interior Department plan to open much of the nation’s coastline to new oil exploration also drew strong opposition from some Republicans, including Gov. Rick Scott of Florida, a likely candidate for the Senate this year.

The new marijuana policy and the oil drilling effort could present political peril for Republicans in Colorado and states along both coasts in some of the same locales where resentment to the new tax plan has already surfaced. Politicians in both parties from Florida up the Eastern Seaboard have fought expanded oil exploration for decades, responding to strong public opinion in those states.

Senator Bill Nelson, Democrat of Florida and a longtime opponent of offshore drilling who could be facing off against Mr. Scott in a high-profile Senate contest, immediately jumped on the issue.

“This plan is an assault on Florida’s economy, our national security, the will of the public and the environment,” Mr. Nelson said. “This proposal defies all common sense, and I will do everything I can to defeat it.”

At the White House, the press secretary, Sarah Huckabee Sanders, said the administration did not intend to start a fight with Mr. Scott but would not shy away from one either.

“Just because we may differ on issues from time to time doesn’t mean that we can’t still have an incredibly strong and good relationship,” she said. “We’ll continue those conversations with him and hopefully all come to an agreement.”

As for the president’s evolution on marijuana, Ms. Sanders said Mr. Trump “believes in enforcing federal law. That would be his top priority, and that is regardless of what the topic is.”

When it comes to marijuana, Mr. Gardner, as the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee as well as a senator from Colorado, is well versed in its politics. Like other leading state politicians, he personally opposed the proposal to legalize the substance but now sees his role as sticking up for his state’s law and industry. He will no doubt face criticism if he does not now follow through. He pointedly and repeatedly asked on Thursday what had changed since Mr. Trump said during his campaign that he considered marijuana enforcement a state issue.

“The people of Colorado spoke — they spoke loudly,” Mr. Gardner said on the Senate floor. “And I believe if the same question were asked today, they would have even more support for the decision they made back several years ago. I agree with President Trump, that this decision should be left up to the people of Colorado.”

Mr. Sessions has long considered marijuana dangerous. And he has not been reluctant to break with his Republican colleagues on other issues that had bipartisan backing, notably a criminal justice overhaul. His stiff opposition to that plan helped scuttle it in the Senate in 2016 and dimmed its future when he moved over to the Justice Department.

But the legalization of marijuana has proved to be a job-creating, tourist-attracting, vote-getting success in certain states, with more entertaining the idea. The attorney general and the president may find resistance to their pot policy to be much more potent than they anticipated.

Last edited:
Opinion: Jeff Sessions’ marijuana crackdown makes national legalization more likely

By Paul Waldman, Special To The Washington Post

Jeff Sessions hates marijuana. Hates it, with a passion that has animated almost nothing else in his career. “Good people don’t smoke marijuana,” he has said. He even once said about the Ku Klux Klan, “I thought those guys were OK until I learned they smoked pot.”

He says that was a joke, but even so, it still says something about where he’s coming from.

So if you’re wondering why Sessions has endured the humiliation of being demeaned and abused by President Donald Trump and stayed on as attorney general, one big answer is the policy change he announced this week: He is rescinding an Obama-era directive that instructed federal prosecutors not to prioritize prosecuting businesses like dispensaries in states that had legalized cannabis. Sessions is finally getting the chance to lock up all those hippies, with their pot-smoking and their free love and their wah wah pedals and everything immoral they represent. He’ll show them.

So what happens now? The emerging legal picture is murky, since a lot depends on the individual decisions federal prosecutors will make. The political picture is somewhat clearer: this is bad news for Republicans.

Let’s start with the legal questions. The 2013 Obama administration letter that Sessions rescinded, called the Cole memo, told federal prosecutors that in states that had legalized marijuana, they should use their prosecutorial discretion to focus not on businesses that comply with state regulations, but on illicit enterprises that create harms like selling drugs to children, operating with criminal gangs, selling across state lines, and so on. In other words, prosecutors could still fight the drug trade, but if a state has legalized marijuana and put in place its own regulatory system, they should leave those operating within that system alone.

Related stories
There’s also a provision in the federal budget known as the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment (now the Rohrabacher-Blumenauer amendment) that forbids the Justice Department from using any resources to interfere with the provision of medical marijuana in states that have legalized it. Right now there are 29 states that have put in place some kind of medical marijuana system, in addition to the eight states (plus Washington) that have either legalized possession of small amounts of marijuana or set up a regulated system for the commercial sale of the drug. The most important is California, which as of the beginning of this year has legalized sales for recreational use.

So is every U.S. Attorney in those eight states immediately going to start busting down the doors of marijuana dispensaries?

“I don’t think so,” said Tamar Todd, Senior Director of the Office of Legal Affairs at the Drug Policy Alliance, whom I spoke to this week. “There’s plenty of drug law to enforce” when it comes to the illicit market, she noted, and federal prosecutors rely on cooperation with state authorities in much of their prosecutions of drug cases.

Going after state-licensed dispensaries or grow operations, furthermore, would leave federal prosecutors isolated. In states with legal marijuana systems, such a crackdown would produce an outcry from both Democrats and Republicans, in addition to state government and law enforcement officials. Federal prosecutors “lack the resources to go into California and enforce the marijuana laws against everybody, so federal interests are really best served by them teaming up and working with the states,” Todd says, “not using their resources to disrupt how the states are trying to responsibly regulate, which is just going to cause more harm for everyone.”

That doesn’t mean that a motivated U.S Attorney – a Sessions mini-me, if you will – couldn’t go on a crusade in his or her district and start prosecuting every marijuana operation in sight. While the Obama administration policy let states know they could craft their own regulations without fear of the feds coming in and wrecking everything they were trying to do, now there’s much more uncertainty.

“It does open up the opportunity for the rogue U.S Attorney who’s not about protecting the public but is more about an ideological opposition to legalization,” Todd said, “to prove that legalization doesn’t work by creating chaos and disruption.”

Even if that doesn’t happen, or happens only here and there, the Trump administration has sent a clear message to the public that it wants to turn back the clock on our nation’s drug laws. There’s no doubt that Jeff Sessions is sincere in his desire to do so, but politically it could be a disaster. According to the latest Gallup poll, 64 percent of Americans favor legalization, including a majority of Republicans. There could be a dozen more states considering some form of legalization this year, either in their legislatures or through ballot initiatives, which will only bring more attention to the issue and set people’s own states against the administration. Just this week, the Vermont House of Representatives voted to legalize personal possession and cultivation of marijuana, and the bill is expected to pass the State Senate and be signed by the governor. They won’t be the last.

That the Trump administration is doing something so unpopular will put a lot of Republicans in a very awkward position, particularly if they come from a state like Colorado or California – precisely the representatives who are going to be most vulnerable in this November’s elections. Many of them have released outraged statements condemning the decision, but it might not be enough to convince voters not to punish Trump by voting them out. A member like Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (whose California district was won by Hillary Clinton in 2016) can cry to his constituents that he opposed the marijuana crackdown and the tax bill (which cut back their deduction for state and local taxes), and they might listen. But in a year of a Democratic wave, they might also just decide to sweep him out with the rest of the GOP.

So the end result of this policy could well be to accelerate the liberalization of the nation’s marijuana laws. A backlash could help more Democrats get elected and push elected Democrats to more unambiguously support legalization. Don’t be surprised if every Democrat running for president in 2020 favors ending the federal prohibition on marijuana and returning the question to the states. One potential candidate, Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., has already introduced a bill to do just that.

Which will set up an interesting dynamic, in which Democrats are the ones arguing for pushing back against the heavy hand of federal power and letting states decide for themselves what they want to do. The traditional GOP position on states’ rights was always opportunistic, something they favored only when states were doing something they agreed with. But that will just be one more reason why this is an issue Republicans want to run away from, and Democrats are eager to talk about.

So Jeff Sessions may get what he wants for now. But in the end he probably did a great service to the legalization movement.

Editorial: “Shame on Sessions for trying to destroy what Colorado has built”
Denver Post editorial board: Jeff Sessions is wrong to fight progress of legal marijuana

By The Denver Post Editorial Board

The following editorial was published in the DenverPost, January 5, 2018:

Unable to slow the tide of marijuana legalization that is sweeping the nation, Attorney General Jeff Sessions has instead decided to stoke fear and uncertainty in the burgeoning industry in a reckless effort to quell progress.

Sessions decided this week to rescind the limited guidance federal prosecutors had with regard to enforcing a federal prohibition on growing, selling or using marijuana in states that had chosen to legalize recreational and medical marijuana.

We are unable to see any benefit to disturbing the robust recreational marijuana industry and beneficial medical marijuana care system in Colorado that has for the most part diligently followed state laws aimed at keeping the drug out of the hands of children, inside state borders and off the black market. The industry is paying substantial taxes and licensing fees and creating jobs. Shame on Sessions for trying to destroy what Colorado has built.

For four years, marijuana growers and sellers have operated under a 2013 memo from then-Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole assuring them U.S. attorneys across the nation would only move to enforce federal marijuana laws if the drugs were crossing state lines, being used by children, fueling criminal enterprises, increasing violent crime, or creating a public health crisis.

Six states have legalized recreational marijuana sales, including California, where the first pot shops opened this week. Massachusetts and Maine could begin sales this year, bringing the total to eight. An additional 21 states allow medical use of marijuana.

Related stories
With limited exception, Colorado, the first to have legal recreational sales, has done a good job cracking down on problems when they arise. Our state attorney general, local and state law enforcement and the state’s U.S. attorney have teamed up on multiple operations to bust illegal grows and distribution rings and bring federal charges where appropriate.

Given that track record of enforcement success in Colorado, Sessions’ intent can only be to stoke fear among those good operators who are following state laws. We join the majority of Colorado’s congressional delegation in opposition to Sessions’ decision and federal raids of our thriving business community.

U.S. Sen. Cory Gardner said the move “has trampled on the will of the voters.” He went as far as to threaten to hold up nominees for U.S. attorney seats in response to the decision.

Fortunately for Colorado, President Donald Trump never got around to appointing someone for U.S. attorney of the District of Colorado. As such, U.S. Attorney Bob Troyer has been elevated from acting attorney general. He was filling in after Obama appointee John Walsh resigned in 2016. Like Walsh, Troyer is unlikely to upend his office’s practice of pursuing the bad actors using the legal market to disguise criminal enterprises while allowing the industry to thrive.

That doesn’t make Sessions’ action inconsequential, however. There are major ramifications for adding uncertainty to those trying to help stop criminal marijuana sales and make money in the process. Imagine investing in an industry knowing you not only could lose all your money, but face time in federal prison based solely on the discretion of the U.S. attorney in your state.

Sessions is on the wrong side of history on this issue. We now look to Republicans in Congress and Trump — who once assured Colorado voters he would honor states’ rights on this issue — to remedy the situation with a change in federal law.

Trump administration angers vulnerable Republicans with marijuana crackdown

By James Hohmann, The Washington Post

With the proposed crackdown on marijuana, the Trump administration created huge political headaches Thursday for scores of Republicans who were already facing a tough environment in 2018.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions revoked Obama-era guidance to make it easier for federal prosecutors to enforce existing marijuana laws in the eight states that have legalized the substance.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, meanwhile, unveiled a proposal to permit drilling in most continental-shelf waters, including protected areas of the Arctic and the Atlantic, in a boon for oil companies.

Both moves are unpopular with voters, especially key people in places that are likely to determine whether the GOP holds the House. In practice, these two stories probably pose bigger challenges for the president’s party in the midterms than any book about White House dysfunction. A Gallup poll in October found that 64 percent of Americans want to legalize marijuana, including a 51 percent majority of Republicans. Support is also particularly strong among millennial voters who Democrats are trying to galvanize for the midterms.

This explains why most elected Republicans in places that are directly impacted moved swiftly to distance themselves. For example, Trump lost by nine points in the suburban Denver district represented by Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., making him one of the most endangered House Republicans on the ballot this November. “Attorney General Sessions needs to read the Commerce Clause found in Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution that limits the power of the federal government to regulate interstate and not intrastate commerce,” Coffman said in a statement. “The decision that was made to legalize marijuana in Colorado was made by the voters of Colorado and only applies within the boundaries of our state. Colorado had every right to legalize marijuana and I will do everything I can to protect that right against the power of an overreaching federal government.”

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., in an Orange Country district that Hillary Clinton carried, went even further: “The attorney general of the United States has just delivered an extravagant holiday gift to the drug cartels,” he said in a statement. “By attacking the will of the American people, who overwhelmingly favor marijuana legalization, Jeff Sessions has shown a preference for allowing all commerce in marijuana to take place in the black market, which will inevitably bring the spike in violence he mistakenly attributes to marijuana itself. He is doing the bidding of an out-of-date law enforcement establishment that wants to wage a perpetual weed war and seize private citizens’ property in order to finance its backward ambitions.”

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, R, up for reelection this fall in a state Trump lost by 27 points, said he “fully supports the will of the voters” vis-à-vis marijuana. “The administration believes this is the wrong decision and will review any potential impacts from any policy changes by the local U.S. Attorney’s Office,” a spokesperson said.

— The move by Sessions could have far-reaching political consequences in Colorado, a purple state Trump lost in 2016. The legal marijuana industry generates billions in revenue for the state and is responsible for many jobs.

Related stories
Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., perhaps the most vulnerable Republican incumbent up for reelection in 2020, threatened to put a hold on all of Trump’s nominees for the Justice Department over the new directive. “This is about a decision by the state of Colorado, and we were told states’ rights would be protected,” he said in a fiery floor speech. “One tweet later, one policy later ― a complete reversal of what many of us on the Hill were told before the confirmation. Without any notification, conversation or dialogue with Congress, completely reversed!”

The senator’s threat is meaningful, and he has lots of leverage, because there are still no confirmed assistant attorneys general for the national security, criminal and civil rights divisions. Of the 93 U.S. attorney slots nationwide, Trump has nominated 58 and only 46 have been confirmed by the Senate.

Gardner spoke by phone Thursday with Sessions. “Let’s just say, there was no reconciliation of differences,” he told The Washington Post. The two will meet next week.

As a candidate, competing in Colorado, Trump promised he would not use federal authority to shut down sales of recreational marijuana. He told a local TV station that he believes the matter should be left “up to the states.”

— Nevada’s Dean Heller, the most vulnerable Republican senator up for reelection in 2018, put out a more nuanced statement: “Knowing Attorney General Sessions’ deference to states’ rights, I strongly encourage the DOJ to meet with Governor [Brian] Sandoval and Attorney General [Adam] Laxalt to discuss the implications of changes to federal marijuana enforcement policy. I also urge the DOJ to work with the congressional delegations from states like Nevada that have legalized marijuana as they review and navigate the new policy.”

Laxalt, the Nevada attorney general and a Republican candidate for governor, noted that while he opposed the ballot initiative to legalize recreational marijuana, “I also pledged to defend the measure were it approved by the voters.” He highlighted his defense of legal pot in two lawsuits. “My office has expeditiously facilitated the implementation of the law in the face of considerable uncertainty about the status of federal enforcement activity,” he said.

The elected GOP attorney general of Colorado, Cynthia Coffman, also said the federal government should “not target marijuana businesses who abide by our state’s laws.” “As attorney general it is my responsibility to defend our state laws – and I will continue to do so,” she said.

— To be sure, it’s not just vulnerable GOP incumbents speaking out and these objections aren’t just politically motivated. All three Republicans in the Alaska congressional delegation spoke out against the marijuana change, for instance:

Rep. Don Young, the dean of the House, called it an “unacceptable . . . direct violation of states’ rights.”

Sen. Lisa Murkowski said she has “repeatedly discouraged” Sessions from taking this action over the past year, and that she asked him to work with the states in a cooperative way if he felt changes are necessary. “[The] announcement is disruptive to state regulatory regimes and regrettable,” she wrote on Facebook.

Sen. Dan Sullivan said it “adds new confusion and uncertainty for numerous states and communities.”He believes that it could be “the impetus necessary for Congress to find a permanent legislative solution for states that have chosen to regulate the production, sale and use of marijuana.”

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., safely reelected, also chastised Sessions’s announcement: “I continue to believe that this is a states’ rights issue, and the federal government has better things to focus on.”

Related: “This is outrageous”: Politicians react to news that A.G. Sessions is rescinding the Cole Memo

Uncertainty and reassurance
— Reacting to the intra-party blowback, the Trump administration sought to downplay the significance of both announcements. “Nothing is final,” Zinke told reporters. “This is a draft program. The states, local communities and congressional delegations will all have a say” before the proposal becomes final.

“Our goal certainly isn’t to cross Governor Scott,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at her afternoon briefing. “Just because we may differ on issues from time to time doesn’t mean that we can’t still have an incredibly strong and good relationship.”

— “Whether Sessions’s Justice Department actually busts dispensaries or others involved in state-approved pot production remains to be seen,” The Post’s Matt Zapotosky, Sari Horwitz and Joel Achenbach report. “Sessions announced his decision in a memo sent to U.S. attorneys. He said prosecutors should disregard the old guidance and instead use their discretion – taking into consideration the department’s limited resources, the seriousness of the crime and the deterrent effect that they could impose – in weighing whether charges were appropriate. In a briefing with reporters, a senior Justice Department official said it was unclear whether the new directive would lead to more prosecutions, because that will be up to individual U.S. attorneys across the country. But the official said that previous guidance ‘created a safe harbor for the marijuana industry to operate in these states’ and that that was inconsistent with federal law.”

— But there is already significant fallout. For instance, the chairman of Alaska’s Marijuana Control Board resigned after the news broke. Peter Mlynarik noted that the state’s rules were designed with the previous DOJ guidance in mind. “When you remove the Cole memorandum . . . there’s no reason why they’re not going to prosecute marijuana,” he told the Anchorage Daily News. “Commercial marijuana, I think, is really in jeopardy.” Mlynarik is Soldotna’s police chief. “If they are taking a different stance on it, I don’t want to be involved in something they are going to come down on,” he explained.

— Because this involves marijuana, there were lots of jokes on social media about the new directive. The Colorado state Senate’s Democratic Caucus tweeted this “We’ll give Jeff Sessions our legal pot when he pries it from our warm, extremely interesting to look at hands.”

— But this is no laughing matter. Consider this story:

Being Black in Trump Country: Dozens of People Arrested for Less Than an Ounce of Weed,” by The Intercept’s Shaun King: “After claiming to find less than an ounce of weed in total – which has a street value of around $150 to $200 and would mean only a ticket in the nearby city of Atlanta – police in Cartersville charged all 70 people gathered for a birthday party – including men, women, boys, and girls, ranging from the ages of 15 to 31 – with drug possession and hauled them off to Bartow County Jail. . . . Many of these people’s lives will be ruined because of that small amount of marijuana. Scores of lawyers have been hired; nearly $100,000 in bail money was paid[.] . . . Their mugshots were publicly released. Unable to afford bail, many of the men and women who were arrested were then fired from their jobs after they were left in jail for days on end.”

Paste Magazine notes the degree to which local decriminalization efforts succeeded across red and blue states in 2016: “Maine legalized marijuana with 46,175 more votes than Trump received. California legalized marijuana with 3,495,231 more votes than Trump received. Massachusetts legalized marijuana with 678,435 more votes than Trump received. Nevada legalized marijuana with 90,405 more votes than Trump received. Florida – a state Trump won – legalized medical marijuana with 1,901,033 more votes than Trump received. North Dakota – a state where Trump more than doubled Hillary Clinton’s vote total – legalized medical marijuana with 752 less votes than Trump received. Arkansas legalized medical marijuana with 99,842 less votes than Trump received. Montana – who has voted Democrat in one presidential election since 1968 – legalized medical marijuana with 12,094 more votes than Trump received. The only state where marijuana was on the 2016 ballot and lost was Arizona.”

— National Review calls marijuana “a gateway drug to federalism”: “If Colorado or Oregon want to legalize weed while Mississippi and Utah ban it, that’s fine. In fact, that is how the country is supposed to work,” writes Charles C.W. Cooke. “The United States is a collection of . . . well, of states; it is not a giant centralized democracy with fifty regional departments. Congress should make it a priority to get the federal government out of this area, and to let the states, not the attorney general’s fealty, determine which rules are best for their citizenries. And conservatives, of all people, should celebrate that. The Founders did not write the Constitution to impose uniformity on hemp. Rarely will we get a better teaching moment than this one.”

Trump administration angers vulnerable Republicans with marijuana crackdown

By James Hohmann, The Washington Post

With the proposed crackdown on marijuana, the Trump administration created huge political headaches Thursday for scores of Republicans who were already facing a tough environment in 2018.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions revoked Obama-era guidance to make it easier for federal prosecutors to enforce existing marijuana laws in the eight states that have legalized the substance.

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, meanwhile, unveiled a proposal to permit drilling in most continental-shelf waters, including protected areas of the Arctic and the Atlantic, in a boon for oil companies.

Both moves are unpopular with voters, especially key people in places that are likely to determine whether the GOP holds the House. In practice, these two stories probably pose bigger challenges for the president’s party in the midterms than any book about White House dysfunction. A Gallup poll in October found that 64 percent of Americans want to legalize marijuana, including a 51 percent majority of Republicans. Support is also particularly strong among millennial voters who Democrats are trying to galvanize for the midterms.

This explains why most elected Republicans in places that are directly impacted moved swiftly to distance themselves. For example, Trump lost by nine points in the suburban Denver district represented by Rep. Mike Coffman, R-Colo., making him one of the most endangered House Republicans on the ballot this November. “Attorney General Sessions needs to read the Commerce Clause found in Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the U.S. Constitution that limits the power of the federal government to regulate interstate and not intrastate commerce,” Coffman said in a statement. “The decision that was made to legalize marijuana in Colorado was made by the voters of Colorado and only applies within the boundaries of our state. Colorado had every right to legalize marijuana and I will do everything I can to protect that right against the power of an overreaching federal government.”

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif., in an Orange Country district that Hillary Clinton carried, went even further: “The attorney general of the United States has just delivered an extravagant holiday gift to the drug cartels,” he said in a statement. “By attacking the will of the American people, who overwhelmingly favor marijuana legalization, Jeff Sessions has shown a preference for allowing all commerce in marijuana to take place in the black market, which will inevitably bring the spike in violence he mistakenly attributes to marijuana itself. He is doing the bidding of an out-of-date law enforcement establishment that wants to wage a perpetual weed war and seize private citizens’ property in order to finance its backward ambitions.”

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, R, up for reelection this fall in a state Trump lost by 27 points, said he “fully supports the will of the voters” vis-à-vis marijuana. “The administration believes this is the wrong decision and will review any potential impacts from any policy changes by the local U.S. Attorney’s Office,” a spokesperson said.

— The move by Sessions could have far-reaching political consequences in Colorado, a purple state Trump lost in 2016. The legal marijuana industry generates billions in revenue for the state and is responsible for many jobs.

Related stories
Sen. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., perhaps the most vulnerable Republican incumbent up for reelection in 2020, threatened to put a hold on all of Trump’s nominees for the Justice Department over the new directive. “This is about a decision by the state of Colorado, and we were told states’ rights would be protected,” he said in a fiery floor speech. “One tweet later, one policy later ― a complete reversal of what many of us on the Hill were told before the confirmation. Without any notification, conversation or dialogue with Congress, completely reversed!”

The senator’s threat is meaningful, and he has lots of leverage, because there are still no confirmed assistant attorneys general for the national security, criminal and civil rights divisions. Of the 93 U.S. attorney slots nationwide, Trump has nominated 58 and only 46 have been confirmed by the Senate.

Gardner spoke by phone Thursday with Sessions. “Let’s just say, there was no reconciliation of differences,” he told The Washington Post. The two will meet next week.

As a candidate, competing in Colorado, Trump promised he would not use federal authority to shut down sales of recreational marijuana. He told a local TV station that he believes the matter should be left “up to the states.”

— Nevada’s Dean Heller, the most vulnerable Republican senator up for reelection in 2018, put out a more nuanced statement: “Knowing Attorney General Sessions’ deference to states’ rights, I strongly encourage the DOJ to meet with Governor [Brian] Sandoval and Attorney General [Adam] Laxalt to discuss the implications of changes to federal marijuana enforcement policy. I also urge the DOJ to work with the congressional delegations from states like Nevada that have legalized marijuana as they review and navigate the new policy.”

Laxalt, the Nevada attorney general and a Republican candidate for governor, noted that while he opposed the ballot initiative to legalize recreational marijuana, “I also pledged to defend the measure were it approved by the voters.” He highlighted his defense of legal pot in two lawsuits. “My office has expeditiously facilitated the implementation of the law in the face of considerable uncertainty about the status of federal enforcement activity,” he said.

The elected GOP attorney general of Colorado, Cynthia Coffman, also said the federal government should “not target marijuana businesses who abide by our state’s laws.” “As attorney general it is my responsibility to defend our state laws – and I will continue to do so,” she said.

— To be sure, it’s not just vulnerable GOP incumbents speaking out and these objections aren’t just politically motivated. All three Republicans in the Alaska congressional delegation spoke out against the marijuana change, for instance:

Rep. Don Young, the dean of the House, called it an “unacceptable . . . direct violation of states’ rights.”

Sen. Lisa Murkowski said she has “repeatedly discouraged” Sessions from taking this action over the past year, and that she asked him to work with the states in a cooperative way if he felt changes are necessary. “[The] announcement is disruptive to state regulatory regimes and regrettable,” she wrote on Facebook.

Sen. Dan Sullivan said it “adds new confusion and uncertainty for numerous states and communities.”He believes that it could be “the impetus necessary for Congress to find a permanent legislative solution for states that have chosen to regulate the production, sale and use of marijuana.”

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., safely reelected, also chastised Sessions’s announcement: “I continue to believe that this is a states’ rights issue, and the federal government has better things to focus on.”

Related: “This is outrageous”: Politicians react to news that A.G. Sessions is rescinding the Cole Memo

Uncertainty and reassurance
— Reacting to the intra-party blowback, the Trump administration sought to downplay the significance of both announcements. “Nothing is final,” Zinke told reporters. “This is a draft program. The states, local communities and congressional delegations will all have a say” before the proposal becomes final.

“Our goal certainly isn’t to cross Governor Scott,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said at her afternoon briefing. “Just because we may differ on issues from time to time doesn’t mean that we can’t still have an incredibly strong and good relationship.”

— “Whether Sessions’s Justice Department actually busts dispensaries or others involved in state-approved pot production remains to be seen,” The Post’s Matt Zapotosky, Sari Horwitz and Joel Achenbach report. “Sessions announced his decision in a memo sent to U.S. attorneys. He said prosecutors should disregard the old guidance and instead use their discretion – taking into consideration the department’s limited resources, the seriousness of the crime and the deterrent effect that they could impose – in weighing whether charges were appropriate. In a briefing with reporters, a senior Justice Department official said it was unclear whether the new directive would lead to more prosecutions, because that will be up to individual U.S. attorneys across the country. But the official said that previous guidance ‘created a safe harbor for the marijuana industry to operate in these states’ and that that was inconsistent with federal law.”

— But there is already significant fallout. For instance, the chairman of Alaska’s Marijuana Control Board resigned after the news broke. Peter Mlynarik noted that the state’s rules were designed with the previous DOJ guidance in mind. “When you remove the Cole memorandum . . . there’s no reason why they’re not going to prosecute marijuana,” he told the Anchorage Daily News. “Commercial marijuana, I think, is really in jeopardy.” Mlynarik is Soldotna’s police chief. “If they are taking a different stance on it, I don’t want to be involved in something they are going to come down on,” he explained.

— Because this involves marijuana, there were lots of jokes on social media about the new directive. The Colorado state Senate’s Democratic Caucus tweeted this “We’ll give Jeff Sessions our legal pot when he pries it from our warm, extremely interesting to look at hands.”

— But this is no laughing matter. Consider this story:

Being Black in Trump Country: Dozens of People Arrested for Less Than an Ounce of Weed,” by The Intercept’s Shaun King: “After claiming to find less than an ounce of weed in total – which has a street value of around $150 to $200 and would mean only a ticket in the nearby city of Atlanta – police in Cartersville charged all 70 people gathered for a birthday party – including men, women, boys, and girls, ranging from the ages of 15 to 31 – with drug possession and hauled them off to Bartow County Jail. . . . Many of these people’s lives will be ruined because of that small amount of marijuana. Scores of lawyers have been hired; nearly $100,000 in bail money was paid[.] . . . Their mugshots were publicly released. Unable to afford bail, many of the men and women who were arrested were then fired from their jobs after they were left in jail for days on end.”

Paste Magazine notes the degree to which local decriminalization efforts succeeded across red and blue states in 2016: “Maine legalized marijuana with 46,175 more votes than Trump received. California legalized marijuana with 3,495,231 more votes than Trump received. Massachusetts legalized marijuana with 678,435 more votes than Trump received. Nevada legalized marijuana with 90,405 more votes than Trump received. Florida – a state Trump won – legalized medical marijuana with 1,901,033 more votes than Trump received. North Dakota – a state where Trump more than doubled Hillary Clinton’s vote total – legalized medical marijuana with 752 less votes than Trump received. Arkansas legalized medical marijuana with 99,842 less votes than Trump received. Montana – who has voted Democrat in one presidential election since 1968 – legalized medical marijuana with 12,094 more votes than Trump received. The only state where marijuana was on the 2016 ballot and lost was Arizona.”

— National Review calls marijuana “a gateway drug to federalism”: “If Colorado or Oregon want to legalize weed while Mississippi and Utah ban it, that’s fine. In fact, that is how the country is supposed to work,” writes Charles C.W. Cooke. “The United States is a collection of . . . well, of states; it is not a giant centralized democracy with fifty regional departments. Congress should make it a priority to get the federal government out of this area, and to let the states, not the attorney general’s fealty, determine which rules are best for their citizenries. And conservatives, of all people, should celebrate that. The Founders did not write the Constitution to impose uniformity on hemp. Rarely will we get a better teaching moment than this one.”
This JEFF SESSION TOPIC is funny as HELL! (even if that's not civilized to say!)

I had delivery service in Southern CALIFORNIA and the GSC was cheap good qualilty as well?
QFkR4sw.jpg

@Cuckfumbustion the USA will get straight soon!
@Kellya86 were in bad shape now!
We will make it work one day!
@momofthegoons the LAW'S R working in your part of the country?
@Vicki is it under control where you R?
@Baron23 it must be fine where U R?

What is it like elsewhere?

the LAW'S R working in your part of the country?
So far so good. From what I can see, the AG of our state, Bill Schuette, doesn't plan on changing how they enforce the Michigan MMJ laws. Of course....never a fan of mmj, he's also announced his intentions of running for governor of the state lol. So his decision may be somewhat politically motivated. After all, the majority voted in medical cannabis in Michigan. And it's slated to be on the ballot for recreational in 2018. Along with Schuette for governor..... if you get my drift.

he's also announced his intentions of running for governor of the state lol. So his decision may be somewhat politically motivated. After all, the majority voted in medical cannabis in Michigan. And it's slated to be on the ballot for recreational in 2018. Along with Schuette for governor..... if you get my drift.

Yep, self-interest is all that moves these assholes.

This JEFF SESSION TOPIC is funny as HELL! (even if that's not civilized to say!)

I had delivery service in Southern CALIFORNIA and the GSC was cheap good qualilty as well?
QFkR4sw.jpg

@Cuckfumbustion the USA will get straight soon!
@Kellya86 were in bad shape now!
We will make it work one day!
@momofthegoons the LAW'S R working in your part of the country?
@Vicki is it under control where you R?
@Baron23 it must be fine where U R?

What is it like elsewhere?

It’s regulated, but everything has literally just started here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back