Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow LED and tent size for 1 plant

roonsy

Hi everyone

I want to set up the smallest tent grow I can as stealth is required. I have a bunch of sativa seeds I will be growing one by one.

What size LED and tent would be suitable? Cost isn't too much of a concern, I do want high quality.

Hi everyone

I want to set up the smallest tent grow I can as stealth is required. I have a bunch of sativa seeds I will be growing one by one.

What size LED and tent would be suitable? Cost isn't too much of a concern, I do want high quality.

What are your concerns, if not money? Size? Space? Noise? Smell?

You will need a small space, electric, fresh air and air movement, unless it's a sealed room using co2, odor control, and water nearby is a plus.

The size of the light should be sized to the space. And even led lights put out heat. Making lights come on at night helps, but if you try growing in 90+°F heat you'll need AC.

You can grow about anywhere, but some engineering might be involved.

I used to grow in an uninsulated garage. I built a insulated box to grow in. And I worked very well.

And lots of growers use tents, I'm sure some will chime in.

I have an enclosed carport (6x5m, insulated) with two windows (fixed closed) and one standard size door leading to the outside (where a tap is). The carport has power. I think my main concern is I want the grow setup to be 'all enclosed' (or at least mostly enclosed I know ducting is necessary sometimes) so that it is hidden, even inside my 'hidden' room... I guess odor control and noise are other concerns, but I can't imagine noise being much of an issue as the carport is enclosed.

edit: I almost forgot, the carport also has an inverter AC/heater

Last edited:
Also grow one plant at a time - check out this thread - and this year's plant is just starting!

For one plant, the minimum-sized space is about 2' x 2'. 2' x 4' or 3' x 3' would be less restricted. Full height, so you have room to raise the light. Minimum LED size is ~150W, 300W is better, but you'd need reduced wattage for the first few weeks. Also, it could get hot. Was it @psychonaut who used an LED with removable ballast to reduce heat?

As @Shredder says, ventilation is a big consideration. With such a large outer room, you can probably just exhaust into it from the top and take in air from the bottom. Humidity is also an important consideration. Moist for veg, dry for flower.

Last edited:
Hi @roonsy. Welcome to the forum!

Are you in the states? Europe, UK, or Asia?

This is a reputable company with all inclusive grow tent packages.
Not sure if they do international shipping.

I would do a 2x2" tent with 125-150W LED, something that's paired to that tent size would be good, you can top and train the plant to grow under a trellis and have a lot of productivity and yield off of that small space. I would say you should be able to get 3-4 ounces with the right cultivar! That will also keep the plant very short which is necessary for a small tent as you'll need a carbon filter up above and those take up headroom above the LED.

VIVOSUN 24"x24"x48" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2'x2'

MARS HYDRO SP 150 Led Grow Light Sunlike Full Spectrum Grow Lamps for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower Bloom Hydroponic LED Growing Lights Fixtures for Greenhouse

iPower GLFANXSETINLINE6D8RH 6 Inch 442 CFM Inline Fan Carbon Filter 8 Feet Ducting Combo with Humidity Monitor Grow Tent Ventilation

There may be other things you need depending on where you put your tent, they make power plugs that can be scheduled for on/off based on time, temperature and relative humidity.

Last edited:
I would do a 2x2" tent with 125-150W LED, something that's paired to that tent size would be good, you can top and train the plant to grow under a trellis and have a lot of productivity and yield off of that small space. I would say you should be able to get 3-4 ounces with the right cultivar! That will also keep the plant very short which is necessary for a small tent as you'll need a carbon filter up above and those take up headroom above the LED.

VIVOSUN 24"x24"x48" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Tent with Observation Window and Floor Tray for Indoor Plant Growing 2'x2'

MARS HYDRO SP 150 Led Grow Light Sunlike Full Spectrum Grow Lamps for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower Bloom Hydroponic LED Growing Lights Fixtures for Greenhouse

iPower GLFANXSETINLINE6D8RH 6 Inch 442 CFM Inline Fan Carbon Filter 8 Feet Ducting Combo with Humidity Monitor Grow Tent Ventilation

There may be other things you need depending on where you put your tent, they make power plugs that can be scheduled for on/off based on time, temperature and relative humidity.

When I grew in a homemade grow box it was 3x3 on the inside. I used a 600w light in a sealed hood. I grew four plants in 7 gallon pots.

It returned as much as 20oz per harvest, and averaged 16 oz. The room I use today is based on that same grow box design.

Thank you so much for all the responses everyone, you're all awesome and I appreciate it! Disrupt I've actually already read your grow thread and plan on following the next one - good stuff :)

I've been a member of VA for a while now but haven't had much time to be active unfortunately. I'm trying to read stuff here more and more.

Thank you very much for the product and spec recommendations, it is a huge help. I live in Australia. We have quite a few stores that sell grow tents and related products, thankfully. Maybe what I will do is make a list of equivalent items that are available here and post that to see if it's alright. Got really sick yesterday hence the delay in my reply, feeling a bit better today and will get to researching now!

Shredder 16-20oz is impressive. I use about an oz a month so I think I should be easy to please...I have about 10 strains and plan on growing them one after another.

Ok, off to research... I will be back. Thanks again.

Thank you so much for all the responses everyone, you're all awesome and I appreciate it! Disrupt I've actually already read your grow thread and plan on following the next one - good stuff :)

I've been a member of VA for a while now but haven't had much time to be active unfortunately. I'm trying to read stuff here more and more.

Thank you very much for the product and spec recommendations, it is a huge help. I live in Australia. We have quite a few stores that sell grow tents and related products, thankfully. Maybe what I will do is make a list of equivalent items that are available here and post that to see if it's alright. Got really sick yesterday hence the delay in my reply, feeling a bit better today and will get to researching now!

Shredder 16-20oz is impressive. I use about an oz a month so I think I should be easy to please...I have about 10 strains and plan on growing them one after another.

Ok, off to research... I will be back. Thanks again.
Welcome mate
Another auslander !!!
Decent place to hang in the nuthouse

I go through about an Oz a week myself

I just wanted to say what is possible. The "secret" is a lot of light in a small area. But whatever light you use you have to cool.

Growing your own is satisfying, and a growing in a tent is a good way to go. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Nice felvapes, good to meet ya. I expect once I get easier access growing myself that my usage will shoot right up. I'm definitely looking forward to not stressing about sourcing it elsewhere anymore :biggrin:

Shredder I'll take 20oz if I can get it, for sure... :biggrin:

Here's what I came up with so far:

Tent: 60x60x140cm (same size as the one listed above, but 20cm taller). comes from a reputable seller here.
LED (Option 1): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Mars-Hydro-LED-Bar-SP-150-True-Watt-140W-IP65-Fanless - I believe this is the same as the one linked above?
LED (Option 2): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Mars-Hydro-LED-Bar-SP-250-True-Watt-225W-IP65-Fanless - same thing but more watts - not sure if that is a bonus?
LED (Option 3): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Viparspectra-LED-Grow-Light-V300-True-Power-Draw-136W - just saw this as another option, seemed similar to #1
LED (Option 4): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Viparspectra-LED-Grow-Light-V450-True-Power-Draw-200W - again, more watts if that's good
Exhaust fan/filter etc: https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Cen...CFM-150MM-6-Inch-Carbon-Filter-550CFM-5M-Duct - $299 for a kit including fan/carbon filter/ducting. I *think* it is the same or at least very similar specs to the iPower linked above, if it doesn't meet the specs I need I'll keep lookin.

Other things I might need:

Oscillating fan - definitely
thermo-hygrometer - definitely
PH meter - definitely
humidifier?
dehumidifier?

Would love any opinions!

Nice felvapes, good to meet ya. I expect once I get easier access growing myself that my usage will shoot right up. I'm definitely looking forward to not stressing about sourcing it elsewhere anymore :biggrin:

Shredder I'll take 20oz if I can get it, for sure... :biggrin:

Here's what I came up with so far:

Tent: 60x60x140cm (same size as the one listed above, but 20cm taller). comes from a reputable seller here.
LED (Option 1): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Mars-Hydro-LED-Bar-SP-150-True-Watt-140W-IP65-Fanless - I believe this is the same as the one linked above?
LED (Option 2): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Mars-Hydro-LED-Bar-SP-250-True-Watt-225W-IP65-Fanless - same thing but more watts - not sure if that is a bonus?
LED (Option 3): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Viparspectra-LED-Grow-Light-V300-True-Power-Draw-136W - just saw this as another option, seemed similar to #1
LED (Option 4): https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Viparspectra-LED-Grow-Light-V450-True-Power-Draw-200W - again, more watts if that's good
Exhaust fan/filter etc: https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/Cen...CFM-150MM-6-Inch-Carbon-Filter-550CFM-5M-Duct - $299 for a kit including fan/carbon filter/ducting. I *think* it is the same or at least very similar specs to the iPower linked above, if it doesn't meet the specs I need I'll keep lookin.

Other things I might need:

Oscillating fan - definitely
thermo-hygrometer - definitely
PH meter - definitely
humidifier?
dehumidifier?

Would love any opinions!
I look forward to hearing about your progress
I wish I could grow where I am
Not possible though
I might have to move to Canberra next year if they go ahead with the legalisation in January hahaa

The Mars hydro sp-250 is for a 2x4' space so you'll need a bigger tent, but it's a great light! The sp-150 is for 2x2' space. If you have space for a 2x4' tent I'd do it and get 1 sp-250 or 2 sp-150s

I don't use PH meters with my medium and fertilizers (chelated) but you may need it depending on how you grow the plants.

Humidifier or dehumidifier may be important/useful to create the optimal environment. Seedling mat and humidity domes are great for the first couple of weeks. Spare yoyo hangers.

Last edited:
I look forward to hearing about your progress
I wish I could grow where I am
Not possible though
I might have to move to Canberra next year if they go ahead with the legalisation in January hahaa

Here's hoping it goes through... would be nice if they allowed 'artificial cultivation' though. But yeah, it's a good start.

The Mars hydro sp-250 is for a 2x4' space so you'll need a bigger tent, but it's a great light! The sp-150 is for 2x2' space. If you have space for a 2x4' tent I'd do it and get 1 sp-250 or 2 sp-150s

I don't use PH meters with my medium and fertilizers (chelated) but you may need it depending on how you grow the plants.

Humidifier or dehumidifier may be important/useful to create the optimal environment. Seedling mat and humidity domes are great for the first couple of weeks. Spare yoyo hangers.

Thanks for that, I feel a bit dumb as I now see that it says the tent size for each light on that site :biggrin::biggrin:

I would like to grow organically using some kind of 'super soil', still gotta read more on that. I've only researched a little on that part as of now.

Here's hoping it goes through... would be nice if they allowed 'artificial cultivation' though. But yeah, it's a good start.

Thanks for that, I feel a bit dumb as I now see that it says the tent size for each light on that site :biggrin::biggrin:

I would like to grow organically using some kind of 'super soil', still gotta read more on that. I've only researched a little on that part as of now.
Yea only 2 plants outside is not a lot and you can't stock pile for winter
Indoors would be good
Anything is progress though, fingers crossed it doesn't get shot down by the federal government

If you plan on doing super soil be sure to read up on it good, let your soil compost for a good 6-8 weeks before using, mix it well I can't overstate that, when you think it's mixed, mix it again twice as much lol. I grew a monster in 5ga fabric pot and supersoil, no training or topping, yieled almost 6 ounces! You will also want to look into compost teas to feed your plants if the soil starts getting depleted too soon. @Shredder is an organic guy I'm sure he has a lot of useful info for you! Have you thought of using your local native soil as a base?

Lots of youtube videos on supersoil, follow subcool's method and you'll be golden.

Last edited:
But whatever light you use you have to cool.
Depends where you are.
humidifier?
dehumidifier?

Your heat pump will work as a dehumidifier and water in containers on the ground can help raise humidity.
A PH pen is only $10 or so off fleabay and worth having for that price.
As far as smell and noise, a decent silenced fan and insulated ducting are great. I recommend getting an 8" variable flow fan so you can run it on low for a quieter setup, I only got 6" and it is still quite loud when turned up high for the last few weeks of the crop.
Here is mine,
IMG_20191020_190349.jpg

The end of it with charcoal can attached, anyway.
I would get the 2x smaller wattage model LED lights to spread the lumens around more evenly, I like my CMH as I can leave the light higher and not keep it close like LEDs but that is just me...and most commercial growers.
Welcome to the fun of growing, taking on soil at the same time is brave, I can't garden for shit so I use soilless with store-bought nutrients in super easy Auto Pots, same as mine but only up to 4 plants,

Probably better links if you need them, just to give an idea on prices.

If you plan on doing super soil be sure to read up on it good, let your soil compost for a good 6-8 weeks before using, mix it well I can't overstate that, when you think it's mixed, mix it again twice as much lol. I grew a monster in 5ga fabric pot and supersoil, no training or topping, yieled almost 6 ounces! You will also want to look into compost teas to feed your plants if the soil starts getting depleted too soon. @Shredder is an organic guy I'm sure he has a lot of useful info for you! Have you thought of using your local native soil as a base?

Lots of youtube videos on supersoil, follow subcool's method and you'll be golden.

Sounds awesome. Initially a couple of weeks ago I stumbled upon some stuff about subcools super soil. Just then I did some googling and found that there are a few local places that sell premade based on the same method, I think I might go with that at least for the first grow or two just to keep things as easy as possible.

As far as smell and noise, a decent silenced fan and insulated ducting are great. I recommend getting an 8" variable flow fan so you can run it on low for a quieter setup, I only got 6" and it is still quite loud when turned up high for the last few weeks of the crop.
Here is mine,

Hi Les! Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it. Your grow looks very nice :) I would like noise reduced as much as possible, even though this room is relatively soundproof, so thanks for that tip... definitely more pricey, but I think it's important. Might help even more when I move next year, who knows what my new space will look like.

I would get the 2x smaller wattage model LED lights to spread the lumens around more evenly

So if I go with the Mars SP150 psychonaut recommended, in a 2x2 tent... do you mean I should grab two for that size tent?

edit: found https://www.hydroexperts.com.au/EP-Whisper-Silencer-Fan-for-Carbon-Filter-200MM-8-Inch-667CFM-60dB - looks to be the same as that ebay one but a lot cheaper, does it look ok?

Last edited:
I lookwd at he fans you linked when I got mine, was cheaper then too. The one I linked (like mine) has a Phresh Hyper fan inside the acoustic chamber, these are a very well known and liked brand in the filter world.
The one you linked had barely any feedback when I was looking.
I will let others chime in on the LED situation but I believe spreading the watts around to best suit your tent size is the best way to go.
I actually liked the look of these Mars LED (I was going to use 4 of them for my space),
No fans and partly waterproof?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back