Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Community Looking for a MMJ provider in SE MI

Basement Farmer

Not for me but for my parents.

My 83 YO father has dementia, and in my not-so-professional opinion, treatment for anxiety and PTSD (he had walked in on my brother who had killed himself and has never properly adressed his own emotional trauma)

Since he is unlikely to seek conventional therapy I believe that cannabis may offer some relief to both himself and everyone around him who he drives nuts.

My mom is on board. I believe my sister, who is very conservative, may be convinced to share our views too as the situation goes from bad to worse.

As seniors lacking the skills to educate themselves , I think that it's very important that if they do this, it's with someone who will provide them with as much guidance as possible. We're talking about a generation who still reads a news paper for the weather forcast.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not for me but for my parents.

My 83 YO father has dementia, and in my not-so-professional opinion, treatment for anxiety and PTSD (he had walked in on my brother who had killed himself and has never properly adressed his own emotional trauma)

Since he is unlikely to seek conventional therapy I believe that cannabis may offer some relief to both himself and everyone around him who he drives nuts.

My mom is on board. I believe my sister, who is very conservative, may be convinced to share our views too as the situation goes from bad to worse.

As seniors lacking the skills to educate themselves , I think that it's very important that if they do this, it's with someone who will provide them with as much guidance as possible. We're talking about a generation who still reads a news paper for the weather forcast.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have no suggestions on MI nor will I offer any medical advise (I only play a Dr on TV! haha).

But my dearest best friend, who passed in Oct, had dementia. His was caused by progression of his Parkinson's.....we think.....cause nobody knows for sure until autopsy and family didn't want that.

In any case, Berle and I used to blow a joint a few times a week, have a scotch, and sear up some meat. He was just an old hippie, really, who smoked dope most of his life.

BUT, once the dementia set in....along with the wide array of drugs he was on.....he couldn't tolerate it. Gave him extreme anxiety and seemed to exacerbate his agitation to a great degree. The effect of drugs on us also changes with age...especially once you enter the "geriatric" age bracket, I believe.

I am NOT saying that will happen with your Dad....but I am say, please be VERY careful, particularly at first. Its not clear yet how he will react to it. As I'm sure you know, its not a panacea for all ills or all people.

Best of luck....dementia is a very, very tough one. When my friend seemed to go over the edge pretty much, it was another year of supporting him and...oh, I don't know...it was just very tough so hang in there and if it gets to be too much for you, you can seek counsel and help yourself. These diseases effect the whole family.

Wishing you and yours the best.

Last edited:
I have no suggestions on MI nor will I offer any medical advise (I only play a Dr on TV! haha).

But my dearest best friend, who passed in Oct, had dementia. His was caused by progression of his Parkinson's.....we think.....cause nobody knows for sure until autopsy and family didn't want that.

In any case, Berle and I used to blow a joint a few times a week, have a scotch, and sear up some meat. He was just an old hippie, really, who smoked dope most of his life.

BUT, once the dementia set in....along with the wide array of drugs he was on.....he couldn't tolerate it. Gave him extreme anxiety and seemed to exacerbate his agitation to a great degree. The effect of drugs on us also changes with age...especially once you enter the "geriatric" age bracket, I believe.

I am NOT saying that will happen with your Dad....but I am say, please be VERY careful, particularly at first. Its not clear yet how he will react to it. As I'm sure you know, its not a panacea for all ills or all people.

Best of luck....dementia is a very, very tough one. When my friend seemed to go over the edge pretty much, it was another year of supporting him and...oh, I don't know...it was just very tough so hang in there and if it gets to be too much for you, you can seek counsel and help yourself. These diseases effect the whole family.

Wishing you and yours the best.

Thanks for all of the good advice Baron.

Yeah....If this is to happen I really think it needs to be on the up and up.

Unlike me, having grown up with exposure to cannabis from an early age in some form or another, the 'rents come from the "Reefer Madness" generation.

The fact that the subject of using cannabis therapeutically by them is a huge leap.

Also speaking from my personal experience in having had a license, the process was a little sketchy. The physician I saw is definitely an advocate, but I'm pretty sure that the idea is that you are on your own once he approves you. Cash upfront, a medical complaint and you're on your way. We'll see you in two years....

So, an 83 YO never-user may or may not react positively to the psycho activity of cannabis and my hope is that there is a provider that is genuinely interested and involved in the long term care of patients that they attend to......I guess 'attend' is the key word that we would be looking for in services.

Most 'conventional' Drs. Won't talk cannabis with you as a viable therapy. I believe that they don't want to deal with any potential legal or liability issues. I've talked to many who personally don't have any issues with it.....so we're at that stage right now.

I know, tall order and one that will unlikely be met.

Yes, the condition sucks. I had no idea that it would be as disruptive to everyone as it is until having personally experienced it. It really is something there should be more awareness of.

Also speaking from my personal experience in having had a license, the process was a little sketchy. The physician I saw is definitely an advocate, but I'm pretty sure that the idea is that you are on your own once he approves you. Cash upfront, a medical complaint and you're on your way. We'll see you in two years....

Ah yeah, lot of Doc in the Box out there. Just card certification mills.

My MJ doc is not my primary who will not get involved in MJ as she fears for her license and I understand that. She doesn't object, but she just feels she can't participate at a tolerable risk to her professional life.

But my MJ Dr is rather well known in MJ advocacy and research circles here, and really does meet and treat a lot of people with serious illnesses, and really does stay involved and cognizant of the latest info on med MJ and its effects and applicability. Me, I'm a once a year, get a renewal, see ya' next year as I rely on my primary for the rest of my medical issues.

Yes, the condition sucks. I had no idea that it would be as disruptive to everyone as it is
Indeed. Its like alcoholism or drug addiction....they say its a "family" disease because everyone around them is also negatively impacted. So with dementia, IMO. I do some hospice visitation volunteering and they also view the unit being supported as being the whole family and not just the person in the end stage of life. Why....because everybody is affected. So don't be a hero. If it gets to be too much, get some help for yourself also. And, when it comes time...I can't over recommend hospice for support of the patient and family. Hospice really is a god send and a true blessing for many people.

Best of luck.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back