Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Community Sock Puppetry - Ethical Behavior in a Community

Vitolo

Vaporist
YOU ARE ENTERING A SOCK PUPPET FREE ZONE
sock-puppet.jpg
Simple Definition:
An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.

Implications:
Anonymity in posting is only the surface.
A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception.

The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.
The term now includes other misleading uses of online identities, such as:
those created to praise, defend or support a person or organization, or their viewpoint.
It is also used to circumvent a suspension or ban from a website.
There's a significant difference between the use of a pseudonym and the creation of a sockpuppet.
A pseudonym does not pretend to be a whole new entity.
The sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer.
Many online communities attempt to block sockpuppets.

I know I did.
I recently closed the patient forum of Vapor Trail... I did so to protect members from having posts read, during this time, when I as creator of the forum was having issues with the Arizona Counter Narcotics Alliance. Protect the innocent if you will.....
BUT when the forum was active.. from the day of it's inception, the very first section was entitled "Ethical Behavior in a Closed Community"
It spoke of trust and truth, and of deception and of lies.
It explained that there is no room for the latter.
I flat out forbade the use of Sock Puppets... NO second accounts from the same IP.
Couples contacted me if they wanted a second account from an IP.
I hate lies and liars.

A bit of background.
Prior to making a Vapor Trail Patient forum, I was made co-owner of another forum here locally.
It turned out the Originator of the forum was flattering me, and wanted me there for my name and reputation in the medical community.
I was being used.
Worse....
I found out since I had all the IP data, that the Originator of the forum had 15 accounts!
One for him (we will call him "Admin")..
One for his wife...
One for his son...
...and 12 sock puppets.
They would argue with one another, in effort to boost the guys posts.
They would get together and 5 or 6 of the "sock puppets" would gang up on anyone that did not agree with Admin's posts. THEN...."Admin" would come back innocently and he then would tearfully thank his community for coming to his defense!:rofl:
Once he had 7 of his Sock Puppets praise his grow skills back and forth, after which he came in blushingly to say "Aw shucks guys... you're embarrassing me!"
I quit being affiliated with that forum... but was careful to delete ALL posts I made, and remove any of my images, before I jumped ship!

I could not knowingly live under the same forum housing such a liar.

sockpuppets.jpg

"That Vitolo is a hunk!"
"Oh.. I agree!"
Why would I come to Vapor Asylum today to make a post like this?
It does not matter which reason was chosen to pretend to be a whole new person.
None of the reasons are good.
Nuff Sed.

This is the FAQ from our Vapor Trail Forum.....

Sock Puppetry

Yes, we are sensitive. The biggest No-No on any MMJ board is to create multiple identities (other than to create an objective unknown Moderator). There are no Sock Puppets allowed here. *The use of multiple user accounts for an improper purpose is called sock puppetry (often abbreviated in discussion as socking). Improper purposes include attempts to deceive or mislead others, add support to the posts of friends, disrupt discussions, distort consensus, avoid sanctions, or otherwise violate community standards and policies.

Last edited by a moderator:
YOU ARE ENTERING A SOCK PUPPET FREE ZONE
sock-puppet.jpg
Simple Definition:
An account made on an internet message board, by a person who already has an account, for the purpose of posting more-or-less anonymously.

Implications:
Anonymity in posting is only the surface.
A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception.

The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.
The term now includes other misleading uses of online identities, such as:
those created to praise, defend or support a person or organization, or their viewpoint.
It is also used to circumvent a suspension or ban from a website.
There's a significant difference between the use of a pseudonym and the creation of a sockpuppet.
A pseudonym does not pretend to be a whole new entity.
The sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer.
Many online communities attempt to block sockpuppets.

I know I did.
I recently closed the patient forum of Vapor Trail... I did so to protect members from having posts read, during this time, when I as creator of the forum was having issues with the Arizona Counter Narcotics Alliance. Protect the innocent if you will.....
BUT when the forum was active.. from the day of it's inception, the very first section was entitled "Ethical Behavior in a Closed Community"
It spoke of trust and truth, and of deception and of lies.
It explained that there is no room for the latter.
I flat out forbade the use of Sock Puppets... NO second accounts from the same IP.
Couples contacted me if they wanted a second account from an IP.
I hate lies and liars.

A bit of background.
Prior to making a Vapor Trail Patient forum, I was made co-owner of another forum here locally.
It turned out the Originator of the forum was flattering me, and wanted me there for my name and reputation in the medical community.
I was being used.
Worse....
I found out since I had all the IP data, that the Originator of the forum had 15 accounts!
One for him (we will call him "Admin")..
One for his wife...
One for his son...
...and 12 sock puppets.
They would argue with one another, in effort to boost the guys posts.
They would get together and 5 or 6 of the "sock puppets" would gang up on anyone that did not agree with Admin's posts. THEN...."Admin" would come back innocently and he then would tearfully thank his community for coming to his defense!:rofl:
Once he had 7 of his Sock Puppets praise his grow skills back and forth, after which he came in blushingly to say "Aw shucks guys... you're embarrassing me!"
I quit being affiliated with that forum... but was careful to delete ALL posts I made, and remove any of my images, before I jumped ship!

I could not knowingly live under the same forum housing such a liar.

sockpuppets.jpg

"That Vitolo is a hunk!"
"Oh.. I agree!"
Why would I come to Vapor Asylum today to make a post like this?
It does not matter which reason was chosen to pretend to be a whole new person.
None of the reasons are good.
Nuff Sed.

This is the FAQ from our Vapor Trail Forum.....

Sock Puppetry

Yes, we are sensitive. The biggest No-No on any MMJ board is to create multiple identities (other than to create an objective unknown Moderator). There are no Sock Puppets allowed here. *The use of multiple user accounts for an improper purpose is called sock puppetry (often abbreviated in discussion as socking). Improper purposes include attempts to deceive or mislead others, add support to the posts of friends, disrupt discussions, distort consensus, avoid sanctions, or otherwise violate community standards and policies.
I love this post!
Welcome all!
Democrats, Republican, Rich, Poor, Blank, Programed, religion, atheists & Regardless of Location!
My POV?

As far as I know there are no "alts" (false personalities), or Sock Puppets here.
@momofthegoons knows how to check IPs of potential members and she is on top of it!
Sometimes one may go use wifi at a Starbucks or other places to accomplish their goals, but This forum feels sock puppet free to me.
The post was not targeted at anyone, but rather me, as a forum owner... stating my feeling about it, and
letting potential abusers know that we all know about the concept.

Deception of any kind is vile behaviour and can be fraudulent.
The best part is most people who employ this kind of tactic are pretty fukin stooopid and they tend to trip themselves up very easily.

I've seen a testimonial on a site where you can clearly tell the site owner has written it, and the stooopid bit shone thru.

Not only did the site owner change the last name of the person who 'wrote' said testimonial they changed one word so it fit better with their new product line.
One fukin word.

Last edited:
As far as I know there are no "alts" (false personalities), or Sock Puppets here.
@momofthegoons knows how to check IPs of potential members and she is on top of it!
Sometimes one may go use wifi at a Starbucks or other places to accomplish their goals, but This forum feels sock puppet free to me.
The post was not targeted at anyone, but rather me, as a forum owner... stating my feeling about it, and
letting potential abusers know that we all know about the concept.
Deception of any kind is vile behaviour and can be fraudulent.
The best part is most people who employ this kind of tactic are pretty fukin stooopid and they tend to trip themselves up very easily.

I've seen a testimonial on a site where you can clearly tell the site owner has written it, and the stooopid bit shown thru.

Not only did the site owner change the last name of the person who 'wrote' said testimonial they changed one word so it fit better with their new product line.
One fukin word.

Anyone who knows me and my 'history' knows that I come down pretty hard on duplicate accounts made for the purpose of sock puppeting. I can think of one manufacturer, in particular, that did this in the past and I exposed him and kicked him off that forum. As I recall phatts... that's when you and I started talking and became friends. We saw eye to eye then and continue to on this subject.

So let this be a real warning to any and all..... come on my forum and pull any form of sock puppetry and you will be publicly outed and kicked off.

@momofthegoons yes remember it well, 'the worst ever case of shilling' I believe.
I also remember you pulling out the :whipit: and removing my post when I expressed my inability to 'share' anything with the person in question:rofl:

Shame that people have to stoop so low to promote themselves and their products, it only backfires on them in the long run.

@momofthegoons yes remember it well, 'the worst ever case of shilling' I believe.
I also remember you pulling out the :whipit: and removing my post when I expressed my inability to 'share' anything with the person in question:rofl:

Shame that people have to stoop so low to promote themselves and their products, it only backfires on them in the long run.
What if you have seen the WORLD many times over?
Is your option false?

I respect anyone and everyone's opinion @ataxian and it would be a horrible world if we were all one individual.
:thinker:Or would it, I suppse we wouldn't know any different.

It's just gets difficult to keep up with when one person's opinion seems to be coming, in this case, from three different people in the same manner.

We all post on forums, etc. in our own individual styles and after a while you pick up on 'mannerisms' and you see beyond a different avatar and name.

This particular time the individuals style was how he was sussed.

A friend and myself thought enough was enough and we called him/them out.

Taking money under false pretence has always occurred in the stoner world, par for the course give the legality issues we've all suffered.

Difference is now these people are taking the money from more and more medical users, people who face the reality that they could well take their last breath tomorrow.

And breathe:rofl:

I respect anyone and everyone's opinion @ataxian and it would be a horrible world if we were all one individual.
:thinker:Or would it, I suppse we wouldn't know any different.

It's just gets difficult to keep up with when one person's opinion seems to be coming, in this case, from three different people in the same manner.

We all post on forums, etc. in our own individual styles and after a while you pick up on 'mannerisms' and you see beyond a different avatar and name.

This particular time the individuals style was how he was sussed.

A friend and myself thought enough was enough and we called him/them out.

Taking money under false pretence has always occurred in the stoner world, par for the course give the legality issues we've all suffered.

Difference is now these people are taking the money from more and more medical users, people who face the reality that they could well take their last breath tomorrow.

And breathe:rofl:
My AM so STONED ATM?
@Vitolo sent this vaporizer than just kicked my ASS!
MEDICATION is my aim!
RECREATIONAL is what I got?
@KidFated. See how bad I can B?
At lease it DESTATED!
0.5 grams kine of a lot 4 a session but hey?
Its SUNDAY!

Last edited:
ppl do this in many forums and groups for many different reasons
shit go

isp can be traced unless ppl use tor or other vpn type apps
Andy Warhol spoke about 15 minutes of fame?
This tread is a modern day version of it?

@Vitolo correct me if I`m wrong?
The vaporizer you sent me is perfect 4 medical conditions!

If it makes U feel better I broke a small mouthpiece I liked yesterday.

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back