Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tek Solvent Extractions

So, weirdly enough, a friend of a friend is a grower maintenance guy, and asked what I know about powdery mildew. The answer was nothing - I'm not a grower. He was looking for ideas as he has a bunch of trim and leaves that he wants to juice, and was wondering if there was a safe way to do it. I have no clue, so I pose it to our group of resident evil plant geniuss, (genii?) Is there anything he can do with it? Apparently there is a lot - multiple 10s of lbs... would distillation salvage anything from a bunch of PM-covered trim? Would anything? Or is it due for compost?

I did read somewhere that dunking it in a tub of high PH water, and then drying, would remove it. But again I have no real clue, just an interest in whether it can be used for anything besides compost.

I've found some frightening residues on my nails from extracts that I've made from flowers of unknown provenance. The scary thing is I'm talking residues that made it into full melt bubble hash that was produced by running it through gallons of water.

One thing that people need to appreciate is that some of the worst contaminants that get into extracts can come from the grower, not the extractor. There are for example, treatments that growers can apply for pests/mildew/mold that can impart oily substances that can get into the resin glands on both flowering and vegetative plants (sessile trichomes develop during veg on leaf matter, not just in flower on the nugs). There can be a variety of other problems in growing that can effect extracts like other pesticides, improper flushing and applications of systemic treatments of any kind.

So, weirdly enough, a friend of a friend is a grower maintenance guy, and asked what I know about powdery mildew. The answer was nothing - I'm not a grower. He was looking for ideas as he has a bunch of trim and leaves that he wants to juice, and was wondering if there was a safe way to do it. I have no clue, so I pose it to our group of resident evil plant geniuss, (genii?) Is there anything he can do with it? Apparently there is a lot - multiple 10s of lbs... would distillation salvage anything from a bunch of PM-covered trim? Would anything? Or is it due for compost?

I did read somewhere that dunking it in a tub of high PH water, and then drying, would remove it. But again I have no real clue, just an interest in whether it can be used for anything besides compost.
I actually have never had PM effected material brother! I do actually wonder if bubble running that trim might be the best first step :)

If mildew is like mold, the mildew will float in the water while the heads sink and should not make its way through the screens. Clean those screens thoroughly afterwards though! If it floats, then you should be able to scoop the bulk of the mildew from the top of the water before draining it to collect bubble ;)

I would not be messing with solvents or distillation. Distillates can be fractionated to isolate compounds, but I know that many extractors doing distillates do not clean out unwanted material properly in the process, especially for crude distillates (non isolated, whole resin fractions that have been distilled). Get testing done on any final product in any case.

Thanks guys! We may go the bubble route. Butane would be interesting, but being in Canada there aren't any public testing facilities. I'm sure there are some, somewhere...

Maybe butane extraction, and use it for anything besides vaping/smoking/dabbing? It should be fine for edibles and topicals, although I'll check a bit further before committing to anything...

Testing is a major point of contention (in Canadia) in that Licensed Providers have been tasked with 'spot checking' themselves... and testing facilities aren't allowed to test non-LP products... And, when several LPs were randomly spot-checked, they failed. The first two failed due to internal whistleblowers saying 'we're using golf course chemicals on our medical crop'...

For any interested readers/viewers I might try to do a run or two live on hash church 160 this Sunday, October 20th. Be a good time to answer questions there in the chat and if you have suggestions for topics to cover/discuss during Church please feel free to post them here.
I'll be watching, no doubt about that brother! It's been a pleasant surprise to see your familiar face appearing on bubbleman's channel more and more lately!

I'd love if you could raise the topic of comparisons of cured resin vs live resin, since we've in the past discussed that processors/extractors like ourselves tend to prefer cured full melt vs these live resins/sauces etc. I think that this would be an interesting conversation to hear from other panelists about (ie: their own preferences when it comes to live resin - especially these new live sauces/etc being made using crystallization/decantation after an initial solvent extraction - as opposed to cured resin) and I'm sure the community would be interested to hear about this too. :peace:

Look forward to seeing your next Hash Church appearance my friend, I believe the correct terminology is 'break a leg'? :dog: :peace:

Last edited:

Sorry we didn't get around to talking much about cured resins vs live resin; I couldn't see the chat while broadcasting from my phone; next weekend if I'm invited back I plan on just being at home chillin' with mah dab rig and taking tokes while reading chat so I can be a little more engaging with the congregation.

*Edit: Sorry, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to post a simple hyperlink without the forum changing it to an embedded video; which really sucks. You will have to take out the space between the slash and the "Y" in youtube when you copy and paste: https:// youtu.be/7Ku8d75BfJY?t=53m42s

Last edited:

Sorry we didn't get around to talking much about cured resins vs live resin; I couldn't see the chat while broadcasting from my phone; next weekend if I'm invited back I plan on just being at home chillin' with mah dab rig and taking tokes while reading chat so I can be a little more engaging with the congregation.

*Edit: Sorry, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to post a simple hyperlink without the forum changing it to an embedded video; which really sucks. You will have to take out the space between the slash and the "Y" in youtube when you copy and paste: https:// youtu.be/7Ku8d75BfJY?t=53m42s

All good brother, I look forward to seeing you broach that topic with the panel when you get a chance! That last church was a pretty heated one and I can understand how it might have been difficult to find a time to discuss this then. :peace:

Look forward to seeing you next church taking, rather than making dabs :weed::biggrin:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back