Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law The Cannabis Chronicles - Misc Cannabis News

Another cowardly position from another fucking politician trying to be everything to everybody.

"she wants “states to be able to decide” on legalization."

Only problem with that, Nikki, is it still leaves in place issues with banking, 2nd A, interstate commerce, etc, etc, etc. FFS

Nikki Haley Says She Will ‘Go With The Scientists’ On Federal Marijuana Rescheduling, Saying It ‘Obviously’ Doesn’t Belong In Same Class As Heroin

Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R), a GOP 2024 presidential candidate, says she agrees with federal health officials in the Biden administration that marijuana should be rescheduled, stating that cannabis “obviously” doesn’t belong in the same category as heroin.

During a town hall event hosted by CNN ahead of the New Hampshire primary election, Haley was asked if she would support moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), as recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).

“I think I’ll go with the scientists on that,” she said. “I think it’s obviously not in the same class as heroin.”

She then reiterated her broader states’ right marijuana policy position, saying she wants “states to be able to decide” on legalization.

“That’s something that should be as close to the people as possible. Some states are all for it and want to see that happen, and some states want nothing to do with it,” Haley said. “But I do think that should be more of a state decision on whether they legalize it or not.”

The candidate made similar remarks at a separate event in Iowa last week, while noting that she signed legislation as governor of South Carolina to enact a strictly limited medical cannabis law that only permits low-THC extracts for certain patients with a doctor’s recommendation.

That’s why lawmakers in that state have continued to work on advancing comprehensive medical cannabis legislation, with a key Republican senator now pushing for a vote on a GOP-led proposal next month.

Last May, Haley also described herself as a “states’ rights person” after she was asked about cannabis policy.

Haley, who also served as United Nations (UN) ambassador under President Donald Trump, doesn’t have an especially extensive cannabis background. She has previously express openness to continuing conversations with advocates and lawmakers about the issue, though.

In 2014, the then-governor also put her signature on a bill to legalize industrial hemp in South Carolina and remove the nonintoxicating form of the cannabis plant from the state’s definition of illegal marijuana.

Her statement about states’ rights generally aligns her with the other top competitors for the party nomination, Trump and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).

However, while DeSantis has similarly talked about letting states navigate legalization, he’s expressed personal opposition to the broad reform and said last summer that he would not move to federally decriminalize cannabis if elected.

Meanwhile, President Joe Biden stands to make significant political gains if marijuana is rescheduled under his administrative directive, according to a new survey that reveals majority support for the reform.

HHS recommended the rescheduling action upon completion of a scientific review last year, but the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) reserves “final authority” in the matter.

Last edited:

FDA provides smoking gun in pot rescheduling

Community members discuss the possibility of marijuana reclassification.​

After more than 50 years, federal hostility towards marijuana might be changing. Under the Controlled Substances Act of 1971, botanical cannabis, more commonly known as marijuana, is classified as a Schedule I substance, which the Drug Enforcement Administration defines as a drug “with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.” Other substances under the Schedule I classification are heroin, LSD and ecstasy.

However, on Jan. 12, the Food and Drug Administration published a scientific and medical review that concluded that marijuana meets the criteria for reclassification as a lower-scheduled drug. Such a change could significantly impact how cannabis is used in medical fields along with sociological injustices that exist because of its current status — and USC’s recreational users and professors from a variety of fields are excited about the updated data.

The FDA’s investigation came in response to a statement from President Joe Biden on Oct. 6, 2022, requesting for the secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services and the attorney general to “review expeditiously how marijuana is scheduled under federal law.”

In the 252-page document, Assistant Secretary for Health Dr. Rachel Levine considered eight factors relating to the drug’s scheduling, including marijuana’s potential for abuse, risk to public health and dependence liability. In the report, Levine recommended that marijuana be reclassified as a Schedule III substance under the CSA. Schedule III drugs have a lower potential for abuse than those in Schedule I and II; additionally, Schedule III drugs also have an accepted medical purpose, and a moderate to low risk of users developing physical dependence.

Dr. Kari Franson, a professor of clinical pharmacy, said new data frequently allows scientists and doctors to reconsider certain practices, including substance classification. However, cannabis has historically been poorly studied, Franson said, with scientists often using inconsistent research methods that yield ambiguous results.

“Part of the problem with cannabis has been just all that diversity in products as well as the fact that — particularly when you ingest it through the [gastrointestinal] tract — we just don’t have consistent absorption, makes it kind of a hard drug to study,” Franson said.

An important factor in the FDA’s recommendation for reclassification was its finding on marijuana’s medical benefits regarding physical pain, PTSD, anorexia, and nausea and vomiting.

Eva Kaleigh Stokes Hernandez, a senior majoring in psychology and the president of Cannabis at USC, said she appreciates marijuana’s capacity to mitigate medical issues and, in comparison to painkillers like hydrocodone — also known as Vicodin — she finds it more natural and feels more cognizant of its effects.

The FDA report focuses solely on tetrahydrocannabinol, the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana. Cannabis also contains cannabidiol, a non-impairing compound, meaning it does not produce a high.

Franson said THC products have proven useful for treating anxiety and nausea, as well as yielding changes in movement, stability and memory formation. Cannabis is less effective than ibuprofen or morphine for acute pain, but for chronic pain, specifically when caused by neurological damage, the substance performs better.

However, Franson also said she’s concerned about the drug’s use to treat mental illnesses.

“Although there’s been some short-term studies, there’s also been some long-term studies that show some negative outcomes,” Franson said. “So, in my mind, I was kind of surprised that PTSD was on the list.”

Stokes Hernandez said marijuana’s current Schedule I classification creates an inaccurate stigma around its medicinal use, and that it makes sense that the government would reconsider such a status.

“I just feel like it was a long time coming to have this very prestigious and revered, respected source of medical information like the FDA to say, basically, ‘We’ve been looking at this wrong and there’s a lot more to this drug than just being a drug,’” Stokes Hernandez said. “It’s a plant in my eyes.”

Dr. Brittany Friedman, an associate professor of sociology, said the stigma around marijuana usage exists largely due to over a century of government-funded propaganda, but moving it to Schedule III may change the way individuals understand it.

“It’s been ingrained that marijuana can make you lose your mind, you can become addicted, it’s a gateway drug, all of these catchphrases,” Friedman said. “Much of the normalization [of alcohol] comes around its commercial use. It’s incredibly profitable. I think the true reason why we actually see a push for reform is because states are realizing that marijuana is incredibly profitable, and it’s not as harmful.”

Despite this, half of the U.S. population lives in a state where recreational marijuana is legalized, and 70% of U.S. adults approve of its federal legalization.

Friedman said she hopes the reclassification will help lawmakers move in the direction of legalization.

“I think, culturally, many people across America from a variety of demographic backgrounds support legalizing marijuana,” Friedman said. “Lawmakers just need to listen to their constituents.”

Friedman said the scheduling of drugs under the CSA has significant implications for how the government can enforce their usage, including surveillance and confinement in jail or prison, allowing them to mass incarcerate certain marginalized communities. According to the American Civil Liberties Union, despite the fact that cannabis use is nearly equal among Black and white populations, Black individuals are 3.73 times as likely to be arrested for possession.

“Marijuana being classified as a Schedule I drug … has allowed the government to use different control mechanisms … to prevent people that actually have medical needs for marijuana [from having] access, but then also to criminalize whole populations and disappear them into our prison system and our jail systems for using a substance that has a long history of research proving that it should not be a Schedule I drug,” Friedman said.

Legalizing marijuana use and possession at the federal level would undoubtedly lead to a decrease in arrests, but Friedman hopes they will not be replaced with fines or fees as punishment, which she said would lead to further racial and socioeconomic disparities.

Although the call for reclassification is a step in the right direction, Franson believes there is much work to be done to identify marijuana’s risks and benefits before it can be implemented in a medical context.

“There’s a risk to eating too many carrots, but the question is, what’s the benefit? What is that dose? How many carrots are too many? How much cannabis is too much? Who’s more at risk of turning orange from your carrots? Who’s more at risk of having a psychological problem from using cannabis?” Franson said.

Stokes Hernandez said she recognizes the potential backlash such a policy change could have, but hopes the potential reclassification will allow for a change in how people perceive cannabis use.

“The first thing people are gonna think who are resistant to weed is, ‘Okay, well, does this mean that there’s going to be a dispensary on every corner and that my kids are going to have huge access to this?’” Stokes Hernandez said. “I really want more research and more just basic elementary education, and I want people to be exposed to it and really get rid of the fear.”

Coming frm DeSantis, this is indeed a bit of a shock.

To me, there is no issue here...on one hand, we have a Constitutional enumerated individual right. On the other hand, we have an unelected bureaucracy claiming sole authority (DEA) over scheduling and another unelected bureaucracy determining that using cannabis forfeits their 2A rights. Utter BS and a test case needs to get to the SCOTUS asap

Federal Ban on Cannabis Users Owning Guns Unconstitutional Says Ron DeSantis

Florida’s Republican Governor Ron DeSantis says he believes the Federal ban on cannabis users owning guns is unconstitutional.

To the surprise of many, given his previous record on cannabis, DeSantis told the audience at a campaign event in New Hampshire on Friday: ‘I think if you’re using a legal product, I don’t see how that can nullify a constitutional right’.

Since 2011, all gun shops across the US have been told by the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Weapons and Explosives (ATF) not to sell guns to anyone known to consume cannabis, regardless of whether recreational or medical cannabis has been legalised in the state.

“I don’t think that’s constitutional to be honest with you,” DeSantis explained.

“I think that the only way that Second Amendment rights are (abridged is) criminal felony conviction and adjudication for mental illness. And I think those two are there. If somebody’s using something that’s a legal product, there’s not anything in the constitution that would justify doing that.”

As Business of Cannabis has reported previously, DeSantis political record on cannabis has been inconsistent, but largely hostile to date.

In December last year, a CNN report revealed that DeSantis had been courted by some of the biggest medical cannabis companies in Florida, seeing Trulieve donate $50,000 to the Florida GOP which helped pay for his campaign ads.

The company subsequently posted record profits after DeSantis signed his first bill into law in 2018, legalising smokeable medical cannabis in the state, citing the introduction of smokeable flower in Florida, accounting for 50% of its sales in the state.

However, throughout his Presidential election campaign, which officially ended last week, DeSantis has been very hostile to adult-use legalisation in his state.

In August 2023, when asked whether he would ‘go along with the cannabis industry’ and legalise at a federal level if elected, DeSantis stuck to his hardline stance, making a number of unsubstantiated claims about the impact of legalisation on other states.

Responding to an attendee who said they knew people who have been impacted by cannabis induced psychosis, DeSantis said that the growing potency of cannabis was a ‘real, real problem’.

“I think when kids get on that, I think it causes a lot of problems and then, of course, you know, they can throw fentanyl in any of this stuff now.”

Biden DOJ Tells Federal Court Not To ‘Disrupt’ Marijuana Rescheduling Decision By Allowing Industry Lawsuit To Proceed

The Justice Department has asked a federal court to dismiss a cannabis industry lawsuit that seeks to block the enforcement of marijuana prohibition against state-legal activity—in part, it says, because the court should not get ahead of a possible cannabis rescheduling decision that’s being considered.
In a document filed with the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Western Division, on Tuesday, lawyers for Attorney General Merrick Garland said that Congress “rationally set up an administrative process for rescheduling drugs.”
“Pursuant to that mechanism, the DEA is currently considering” a recommendation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) “to reschedule marijuana” under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).
Connecticut marks 1 year of selling legal marijuana

“It is not for the courts to disrupt or get ahead of that administrative process,” DOJ said.

Overall, DOJ also said that marijuana businesses who brought the case lack standing to pursue the challenge because they cannot claim direct injury since they haven’t been federally prosecuted under the policy of prohibition. The filing also notes that a long-standing congressional rider has been in place for a decade, barring the department from using federal funds to interfere in state-legal medical cannabis laws.

“Plaintiffs do not dispute that as enacted, the CSA rationally served legitimate government purposes. Yet they argue that the CSA has been rendered irrational because Congress has chosen to allow federal territories to enact marijuana legalization laws and has prohibited the Department of Justice on spending funds to prevent implementation of state medical marijuana laws…while the Department of Justice has allegedly exercised prosecutorial discretion to decline to prosecute conduct that complies with state marijuana laws under certain circumstances.”

“Yet as explained above, these actions and inactions serve the rational purpose of facilitating state and local experimentation with marijuana laws while focusing federal law enforcement resources on conduct that most significantly affects federal interests,” it says.

The government also asserts that precedent set in a 2005 Supreme Court ruling negates plaintiffs’ argument that the U.S. Constitution’s Commerce Clause renders bans on interstate marijuana commerce unlawful.

The case is a “transparent entreaty to overrule” that precedent, known as Raich, DOJ said.

“Federal regulation of intrastate marijuana activities is constitutional because such activities “substantially affect interstate commerce,'” the department argued. “Plaintiffs get no further by claiming that the CSA violates their right to substantive due process. Courts have consistently, and correctly, held that no fundamental right exists to distribute, possess, or use marijuana. Therefore, the CSA is subject only to deferential rational basis review, which it easily survives.”

“To raise a pre-enforcement challenge to a law, a plaintiff must show a substantial risk of future enforcement. Here, Plaintiffs allege the opposite, that the government’s policy is not to prosecute conduct that complies with state marijuana laws. Neither Plaintiffs’ contention that they are harmed by other federal laws and policies whose constitutionality is not challenged here, nor Plaintiffs’ allegations that some third parties have independently chosen not to transact with them, suffice to provide Plaintiffs with standing to challenge the CSA.”

The motion to dismiss additionally says that plaintiffs “fail to allege facts showing that the risk of prosecution is substantial.”

“In fact, Plaintiffs’ allegations negate the existence of such a substantial risk,” it says. “Yet even if this Court were sympathetic to Plaintiffs’ arguments that [Gonzales v. Raich] holding should no longer be good law, stare decisis commands that this Court adhere to Raich unless and until it is overruled by the Supreme Court

“Moreover, Plaintiffs allege that the Department of Justice has implemented a policy of prosecutorial discretion that guides federal law enforcement to focus enforcement resources ‘on persons or organizations whose conduct interferes’ with important federal interests such as curtailing violence and gang activity, and otherwise to rely largely on ‘enforcement of state law by state and local law enforcement and regulatory bodies’ to ‘address[] marijuana-related activity.'”

The filing adds that a policy of prosecutorial discretion for federal marijuana cases such as under the Obama-era Cole memo that was rescinded under the Trump administration is a “surely rational” approach.

In the overarching lawsuit, plaintiffs claim that perpetuating prohibition in state markets is unconstitutional, creating undue public safety risks while precluding licensed marijuana businesses from accessing critical financial services and tax deductions that are available to other industries.

Reacting to the DOJ filing on Tuesday, the plaintiffs said in a statement that they “look forward to demonstrating their standing before the Federal District Court in Springfield, Massachusetts.”

“Plaintiffs have been injured by the federal government’s ban on cultivating, manufacturing, and distributing intrastate marijuana. Plaintiffs brought this suit to stop the enforcement of that unconstitutional ban and protect themselves and others similarly situated from further injury,” they said. “The facts in the complaint distinguish this case from Gonzales v. Raich, the 2005 Supreme Court decision on which the government continues to rely.”

The government filing comes about a month after the Justice Department and plaintiffs—a coalition of marijuana businesses represented by an influential law firm—jointly agreed to request a deadline extension for the filing of initial briefs.

The suit against the federal government is being led by multi-state operator Verano Holdings Corp. and the Massachusetts-based cannabis businesses Canna Provisions and Wiseacre Farm, along with Treevit CEO Gyasi Sellers.

On Monday, DOJ sought permission to submit the new 25-page of memorandum that exceeds the general 20-page limit allotted under the rules.

The law firms Boies Schiller Flexner and Lesser, Newman, Aleo & Nasser LLP are representing the plaintiffs. David Boies, chairman of the former firm, has a long list of prior clients that includes the Justice Department, former Vice President Al Gore and the plaintiffs in a case that led to the invalidation of California’s ban on same-sex marriage, among others.

The lawsuit alleges that while Congress originally banned marijuana through the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) in an attempt to eradicate interstate commerce, ostensibly giving the government a basis to enforce prohibition at the state level, lawmakers and the executive branch have since “abandoned” that mission as more states have enacted legalization.

“Despite these changes, the federal criminal prohibition on intrastate marijuana remains in place, an unjustified vestige of a long-abandoned policy,” the complaint, filed last October, states. “This unjustified intrusion of federal power harms Plaintiffs, threatens the communities they serve, and lacks any rational purpose.”

There were repeated mentions of the fact that, while the federal government has taken a largely hands-off approach to cannabis in recent decades, state-licensed marijuana businesses continue to suffer unique financial burdens, including a lack of access to banking services, credit cards and federal tax deductions under an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) code known as 280E.

Without access to credit cards or online payment, state-regulated marijuana businesses must rely heavily on cash, creating serious public safety risks. State-regulated marijuana dispensaries have become targets of robberies,” the original lawsuit says. “These collateral harms increase the costs of state-regulated marijuana businesses and reduce participation in state-regulated marijuana markets. As a result, there is less innovation and less consumer choice.”

The existing ban on cannabis under the CSA results in an “unconstitutional imposition on state sovereignty,” attorneys said. “While Congress has authority to ban marijuana from interstate commerce, it has no general police power over marijuana grown, transported, and distributed in intrastate commerce. Neither the Commerce Clause nor the Necessary and Proper Clause of the Constitution permit this overreach by Congress.”

The lawsuit takes a look at the history of cannabis laws in the country, pointing out that prohibition is a relatively recent policy position that followed more than 100 years of permitted use and cultivation to some extent. It then returned to the federal government’s justification for banning marijuana under the CSA, which was to prevent interstate commerce as was argued in the 2005 U.S. Supreme Court case Gonzales v. Raich concerning medical cannabis access for California patients.

That justification no longer rationally applies, the companies argue. Not only has Congress annually renewed an appropriations rider barring the Justice Department from using federal funds to intervene in state medical cannabis programs, but attorneys general over the course of multiple administrations have spoken to their lack of interest in criminalizing people over marijuana-related activity that’s sanctioned by the states.

“What was once a single-minded federal crusade against the cannabis plant has been replaced with an ambivalent set of inconsistent policies, some aimed at reducing federal interference with state efforts to regulate marijuana,” the suit says.

“In short, the federal government has long ago abandoned the goal of eliminating marijuana from commerce. Nor does Congress have any comprehensive—or even consistent and rational—approach to marijuana regulation,” it continues. “This inconsistent, patchwork approach to marijuana regulation provides no basis for Congress to regulate intrastate marijuana.”

That point echoes what conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said in 2021, criticizing the “contradictory and unstable” state-federal marijuana policy conflicts that have compounded as the federal government continues to take a “half-in, half-out” approach to the issue.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs said that “without court intervention, the CSA will continue to undermine state efforts to create safe and regulated intrastate markets for marijuana. As long as the CSA continues to prohibit intrastate cultivation, manufacture, possession, and distribution of marijuana, Plaintiffs and the communities they serve will suffer irreparable harm.”

There’s also a mention in the lawsuit of the impact of the current policy of criminalization on low-income communities, noting that the ban on intrastate marijuana commerce means that cannabis products cannot be delivered to public housing facilities in Massachusetts.

“This prohibition is to the detriment of the states, their citizens, and Plaintiffs,” the complaint states. “Not only do Plaintiffs face the potential risk of enforcement, their businesses also face numerous hurdles that result directly from the CSA’s treatment of intrastate marijuana.”

The consequences of this prohibition are devastating for the industry, particularly for small businesses that cannot rely on diversification or economies of scale,” it continues.

Josh Schiller, partner at the Boies Schiller Flexner law firm that is representing the plaintiffs, said during an X Spaces session in October that “our clients have finally decided we can still look around the corner and hope that there is a legislative solution—but let’s decide whether or not we can create a permanent change by going to the courts,” adding that Supreme Court ideological dynamics have shifted toward a “federalist” point of view in a way that could bolster their case.

The court is “looking to enforce the constitutional protections for states to regulate commerce within the state, which is called intrastate commerce,” he said. “There is no right of the federal government under the Constitution to regulate intrastate commerce.”

“But we’ve built a lawsuit that we hope to get back to the Supreme Court as quickly as possible,” Schiller added. “The factual evidence that we offer in our complaint—which will be supported by testimony on a summary judgment motion which we hope to get to, probably not this year, but hopefully early next year—will be the basis for going to the Supreme Court and demonstrating this evidence that negates any legitimacy that the federal government has in continuing to treat cannabis as a federal crime.”

He also briefly previewed plans to pursue future litigation as a “second step” to help marijuana businesses recoup losses they’ve incurred due to the “inequality that they’ve suffered for years” if they’re successful in the current case.

“But this case is meant to create a new precedent that allows the states—and only the states—to let these businesses flourish under their regulations,” he said.

A press release says that Ascend Wellness Holdings, TerrAscend, Green Thumb Industries, Eminence Capital and Poseidon Investment Management are “foundational supporters” of the suit.

The lawsuit comes as the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) carries out a review into marijuana scheduling after the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recommended moving it from Schedule I to Schedule III under the CSA. Such rescheduling could resolve certain tax-related issues for the industry under 280E, but it would not legalize the plant or permit intrastate commerce.

“The federal criminalization of safe, regulated marijuana commerce in states where it is legal unfairly burdens legal operations and expands the production and sale of illegal marijuana that is unregulated, can be unsafe, and is likely to find its way to other states,” Boies said in a press release in October. “Federal criminalization also denies small, legal marijuana businesses of access to SBA loans, investors, benefits for their employees, and normal banking regulations (which among other things, forces them to rely on cash transactions with all of the dangers to them, and to the community, that result)—as well as burdening them with discriminatory taxes.”

“Americans believe that cannabis should be legal and available subject to reasonable regulation by the states. 38 states have legalized some form of cannabis,” he said. “The federal government lacks authority to prohibit intrastate cannabis commerce. Outdated precedents from decades ago no longer apply—the Supreme Court has since made clear that the federal government lacks the authority to regulate purely intrastate commerce; moreover, the facts on which those precedents are based are no longer true.”

Cannabis business executives first described plans to file the lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of enforcing criminalization of intrastate marijuana activity under the CSA last year.

“I think the fact that one of the leading constitutional law firms in the United States is willing and eager to take this case speaks volumes to the seriousness of the action and the potential likelihood of success,” the then-CEO of Ascend Wellness Holdings told Marijuana Moment at the time, saying that he hoped the legal challenge would prompt Congress to pass cannabis banking legislation of other reforms.

“Hopefully, this will be another factor [so] that the Senate says, ‘you know, we’ve gotta get off our ass or we’re gonna lose this issue to the courts,’” he said.

Rescheduling is NOT a solution and, to my mind, is nothing to celebrate. Rescheduling is an incremental approach whose only beneficiary is the politicians who are too cowardly to step up and legalize and too arrogant to actually listen to what their electorate want. Pick your politician, they are almost all in the same boat on this.

One-Third Of Marijuana Consumers Would Return To Illicit Market If Rescheduling Restricts Access To Pharmacies, New Poll Finds

About one-third of marijuana consumers say they would go back to the illicit market if cannabis was rescheduled and only made legally available as a Food and Drug Administration- (FDA) approved prescription drug, according to a new poll.

As federal agencies work to complete an administrative review into cannabis scheduling, the survey from Nugg MD shows wariness about how the government could hypothetically become involved with marijuana in the event of a reclassification.

Of course, even though the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has recommended moving cannabis from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), that would not make it a legal prescription drug. The FDA drug approval process is separate, and the agency typically does not approve botanicals as prescription medications.

Virginia senator introduces new bill, pushing for recreational marijuana sales

Many industry observers also believe that the federal government would continue its approach of generally allowing state cannabis markets to operate without interference following rescheduling, though some advocates and consumers have concerns that the change could disrupt state-licensed businesses by allowing a pharmaceutical takeover of the marijuana industry—and the Nugg MD survey underscores that point.

Asked what they would do if their “only option to purchase cannabis legally was to buy it at a pharmacy with a prescription,” a majority (55 percent) said they would visit the pharmacy, but 32 percent said they would instead risk being criminalized by buying from the illicit market. Six percent said they wouldn’t use cannabis at all in that situation, and seven percent said they’d do something else.

Deb Tharp, head of legal and policy research at NuggMD.com, argued that the poll results show that “consumers are likely to lose out under rescheduling unless Congress steps up and passes legislation to preserve existing state markets.”

“According to government estimates, more than 35 million Americans use cannabis on a monthly basis,” she told Marijuana Moment. “Pushing more than 10 million people into the unregulated market for cannabis strikes me as a very bad outcome because black market cannabis is not safe. I don’t think the severity of this situation is entirely clear to policymakers.”

The survey also asked more generally about consumer preferences, with 77 percent saying they’d rather use “traditional botanical products,” compared to 18 percent who chose “FDA-approved” cannabis.

In general, just under half of respondents (47 percent) said that a decision to move marijuana to Schedule III wouldn’t affect their level of access. Another 28 percent said they believe it would make access harder, and 25 percent said it would get easier.

Overall, 85 percent of poll participants said they would rather the federal government deschedule (i.e. legalize) marijuana, instead of simply moving it to Schedule III. Another 83 percent said they expect racial disparities in cannabis criminalization enforcement would persist under a Schedule III reclassification, while 17 percent said they trust the law would be enforced impartially.

Survey respondents also said that they would prefer a marijuana industry that continues to operate in many different state markets (69 percent), rather than have “one big, national market” (27 percent).

“Consumers simply do not want FDA or pharmaceutical companies meddling with their cannabis,” Tharp of Nugg MD said. “They prefer state-run cannabis markets. They have moderate to high levels of trust in state controls. And many of them will obtain the cannabis they want, even if it means not abiding by the law. When it comes to supply, cannabis consumers have a rich history of just figuring it out.”

“The message this poll sends to policymakers is clear: If you’re not willing to walk into a regulated dispensary and start talking to consumers, at least be aware of what they’re saying to the folks who are talking to them. Congress needs to preserve existing state cannabis markets, and it needs to create a way for honest, regulated cannabis retailers to sell the products that consumers want without being hamstrung by FDA compliance.

Policymakers have used cannabis for more than a century to weaponize the law against people. They clearly know how to hold this industry down, so they must know how to prop it up.”

While observers disagree about the potential broad implications of moving cannabis to Schedule III, there is a consensus that it would at least exempt the marijuana industry from the 280E tax provision that prevents operators from writing off business expenses since it only applies to sellers of Schedule I and II drugs. The new poll found that 70 percent of respondents said they trust cannabis businesses to “pass on to consumers any tax savings brought about by new regulations.”

The survey
1706106417617.png
from Nugg MD—a cannabis technology company that links people to doctors via telemedicine for medical cannabis recommendation—involved interviews with 795 cannabis consumers from December 11-18.

Meanwhile, another poll released last week found that President Joe Biden stands to make significant political gains if marijuana is rescheduled under his administrative directive.

Of course, Biden doesn’t directly control the final outcome. HHS recommended the rescheduling action upon completion of a scientific review last year, but the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) reserves “final authority” in the matter.

Congressional researchers also recently laid out the limitations of rescheduling in a report—emphasizing that state cannabis markets would continue to run afoul of federal law, and existing criminal penalties for certain marijuana-related activity would remain in force.

Biden has routinely touted his 2022 scheduling directive, as well as a mass pardon he granted for people who’ve committed federal marijuana possession offenses. He followed up on that action last month with a renewed and expanded pardon proclamation.

This is an article on a VERY important subject. Even if you have zero interest in the 2nd Amendment and firearm ownership, these cases go to the broader issue of primacy of any enumerated individual right in Constitution over Federal legislation and Fed bureaucracy regulations. Fuck the DEA and the ATF for this bullshit. Smoke a joint...nah, no gun for you. Strung out on Fentanyl or drink like a fish...no prolemo. Such bullshit.
"This comes as the question over the constitutionality of the federal gun ban for people who use marijuana is now before the U.S. Supreme Court, which is considering taking up the issue."​
SCOTUS absolutely must take up this or another related case asap. This is clearly a conflict between Fed law/exec branch policy and the Constitution. This should have been already resolved.

"you have millions of Americans who are disenfranchised from their Second Amendment rights, being forced to choose either between treating their symptoms with medical marijuana or exercising their constitutionally guaranteed right,” he said. “That’s not an acceptable.”​
This ^^

Pennsylvania District Attorney Sues Federal Government Over Gun Ban For Medical Marijuana Patients

A Pennsylvania district attorney and gun rights advocates have filed a lawsuit in federal court seeking to overturn the ban preventing medical marijuana patients from buying and possessing firearms—the latest in a series of legal challenges to the policy.

Warren County, Pennsylvania District Attorney Robert Greene, a registered medical cannabis patient in the state, teamed up with the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) to file suit against the federal government in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania on Tuesday.

This comes as the question over the constitutionality of the federal gun ban for people who use marijuana is now before the U.S. Supreme Court, which is considering taking up the issue.

Study finds cannabis increases productivity when working out

The new lawsuit names U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland, as well as the heads of the FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), as defendants. This represents what the lead attorney for the plaintiffs believes to be the first civil, rather than criminal, challenge to the federal statute.

Greene’s participation in the case is especially notable. The court filing states that the local prosecutor “intends to lawfully purchase, possess, and utilize firearms and ammunition so that he may exercise his constitutional right to keep and bear arms for self-defense and all other lawful purposes.” But he’s barred from doing so under federal statute because of his status as a state-certified medical cannabis patient.

The prosecutor announced
1706107015399.png
late last month that he will not be seeking re-election and will be turning his focus to advocacy on medical cannabis patient rights issues.

Unlike the various previous court cases challenging the constitutionality of the gun ban for plaintiffs who have been criminally prosecuted, with a civl suit like this
1706107015430.png
, “you’re looking at a challenge on behalf of people that are just asserting that this prohibition is unconstitutional, either on its face or as applied—’as applied’ meaning to that individual only,” Adam Kraut, lead attorney for the plaintiff and executive director of SAF, told Marijuana Moment on Tuesday.

“What I’m hoping is not only to win in our lawsuit, but that it sparks the federal Congress to do something and solve this problem because you have millions of Americans who are disenfranchised from their Second Amendment rights, being forced to choose either between treating their symptoms with medical marijuana or exercising their constitutionally guaranteed right,” he said. “That’s not an acceptable.”

Meanwhile, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) recently highlighted that there are three relevant cases under consideration in the nation’s highest court that could finally settle the gun and cannabis issue.

Justices are expected to decide whether they will hear a federal government appeal of a circuit court ruling that found the firearm restriction violates the Second Amendment.

The ruling that DOJ is appealing came from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, which examined the federal statute known as Section 922(g)(3) that prevents someone who is an “unlawful user” of an illegal drug from buying or possessing firearms. The circuit court found the policy unconstitutional as applied to a man who faced a conviction after admitting to having used cannabis while in possession of a gun.

Multiple courts have taken up the issue, forcing the Justice Department to defend the statute amid a series of challenges across the country. But the Fifth Circuit is so far the highest court to have ruled against the ban, covering jurisdictions in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

A key component of the legal argument against the policy in most of the cases, including this latest civil suit, is based on an interpretation of an earlier Supreme Court case, where justices ruled that gun restrictions must be generally consistent with the historical context of the 1791 ratification of the Second Amendment. People challenging the federal statute argued that there’s no appropriate historical analogue, while DOJ has maintained that historical laws depriving guns from certain populations such as the mentally ill and habitually drunk justify its enforcement.

Section 922(g)(3) has also gained public interest amid the prosecution of President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, who has been charged with owning a gun while admitting to unlawful use of crack cocaine years ago.

Attorneys for Hunter Biden recently called on the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware to dismiss the case, arguing that prosecutors are applying an unconstitutional statute that would criminalize millions of marijuana consumers acting in compliance with state law if broadly enforced.

Meanwhile, in a separate case in November, the Justice Department told the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit that historical precedent “comfortably” supports the gun restriction. Cannabis consumers with guns pose a unique danger to society, the Biden administration claimed, in part because they’re “unlikely” to store their weapon properly.

The federal government has repeatedly claimed that historical analogues provide clear support for limiting gun rights for cannabis users. But several federal courts have separately deemed the marijuana-related ban unconstitutional, leading DOJ to appeal in several ongoing cases.

The Justice Department asserted similar points during oral arguments in a separate but related case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in October. That case focuses on the Second Amendment rights of medical cannabis patients in Florida.

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma also ruled last year that the ban prohibiting people who use marijuana from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, with the judge stating that the federal government’s justification for upholding the law is “concerning.”

In U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, a judge ruled last April that banning people who use marijuana from possessing firearms is unconstitutional—and it said the same legal principle also applies to the sale and transfer of guns.

In August, meanwhile, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) sent a letter to Arkansas officials saying that the state’s recently enacted law permitting medical cannabis patients to obtain concealed carry gun licenses “creates an unacceptable risk,” and could jeopardize the state’s federally approved alternative firearm licensing policy.

Shortly after Minnesota’s governor signed a legalization bill into law in May, the agency issued a reminder emphasizing that people who use cannabis are barred from possessing and purchases guns and ammunition “until” federal prohibition ends.

In 2020, ATF issued an advisory specifically targeting Michigan that requires gun sellers to conduct federal background checks on all unlicensed gun buyers because it said the state’s cannabis laws had enabled “habitual marijuana users” and other disqualified individuals to obtain firearms illegally.

While people who use cannabis are barred from owning firearms under the statute, a little-notice FBI memo from 2019 that recently surfaced shows that the federal government generally does not consider it a violation of the law for medical cannabis caregivers and growers to have guns.

Same subject

Supreme Court Weighs Case Challenging Federal Gun Ban For Marijuana Users, Congressional Researchers Report In Legal Brief

The legal question over the constitutionality of a federal gun ban for people who use marijuana is now before the U.S. Supreme Court, where justices are expected to decide whether they will hear an appeal of a circuit court ruling that found the restriction violates the Second Amendment.

The Congressional Research Service (CRS) noted the pending action in a legal sidebar that was published this month, explaining how three relevant cases are under consideration in the nation’s highest court that could finally settle the issue.

Briefs in one of those cases—United States vs. Daniels—were distributed for a Supreme Court conference this month, where justices were presented with a number of cases that they could choose to hear. The Justice Department had asked the court to hold its petition for a writ of certiorari until it resolved a separate case that justices are actively reviewing because of “overlaps” between the two.

Study finds cannabis increases productivity when working out

No decision was made in the conference, so it’s unclear if the Supreme Court will ultimately grant the government’s request
1706107731622.png
or not.

The ruling that DOJ is appealing came from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, which examined the federal statute known as Section 922(g)(3) that prevents someone who is an “unlawful user” of an illegal drug from buying or possessing firearms. The circuit court found the policy unconstitutional as applied to a man who faced a conviction after admitting to having used cannabis while in possession of a gun.

Multiple courts have taken up the issue, forcing the Justice Department to defend the statute amid a series of challenges across the country. But the Fifth Circuit is currently the highest court to have ruled against the ban, covering jurisdictions in Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

A key component of the legal argument against the policy is based on an interpretation of an earlier Supreme Court case, where justices ruled that gun restrictions must be generally consistent with the historical context of the 1791 ratification of the Second Amendment. People challenging the federal statute argued that there’s no appropriate historical analogue, while DOJ has maintained that historical laws depriving guns from certain populations such as the mentally ill and habitually drunk justify its enforcement.

The federal government has now asked the Supreme Court to wait to act on the Daniels case until it decides on a separate issue concerning the constitutionality of a law restricting firearms for people convicted of domestic assault. DOJ says there are legally relevant parallels that could inform the Daniels case.

Congressional researchers gave a summary of the Second Amendment challenges in a new brief this month, laying out the cases before the Supreme Court and briefly describing “considerations for Congress” if lawmakers were to take up the issue.

The Daniels case “has drawn attention because it is one of the few cases holding an existing federal firearm law to be unconstitutional at least as applied and because it could result in Supreme Court involvement,” the CRS report
1706107731656.png
says.

It added that “Section 922(g)(3) has also gained broader public attention because of a recent indictment” against President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, who has been charged with owning a gun while admitting to unlawful use of crack cocaine years ago.

Attorneys for Hunter Biden recently called on the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware to dismiss the case, arguing that prosecutors are applying an unconstitutional statute that would criminalize millions of marijuana consumers acting in compliance with state law if broadly enforced.

Meanwhile, in a separate case in November, the Justice Department told the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit that historical precedent “comfortably” supports the gun restriction. Cannabis consumers with guns pose a unique danger to society, the Biden administration claimed, in part because they’re “unlikely” to store their weapon properly.

The federal government has repeatedly claimed that historical analogues provide clear support for limiting gun rights for cannabis users. But several federal courts have separately deemed the marijuana-related ban unconstitutional, leading DOJ to appeal in several ongoing cases.

The Justice Department asserted similar points during oral arguments in a separate but related case before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit in October. That case focuses on the Second Amendment rights of medical cannabis patients in Florida.

The U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma also ruled last year that the ban prohibiting people who use marijuana from possessing firearms is unconstitutional, with the judge stating that the federal government’s justification for upholding the law is “concerning.”

In U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas, a judge ruled last April that banning people who use marijuana from possessing firearms is unconstitutional—and it said the same legal principle also applies to the sale and transfer of guns.

In August, meanwhile, the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) sent a letter to Arkansas officials saying that the state’s recently enacted law permitting medical cannabis patients to obtain concealed carry gun licenses “creates an unacceptable risk,” and could jeopardize the state’s federally approved alternative firearm licensing policy.

Shortly after Minnesota’s governor signed a legalization bill into law in May, the agency issued a reminder emphasizing that people who use cannabis are barred from possessing and purchases guns and ammunition “until” federal prohibition ends.

In 2020, ATF issued an advisory specifically targeting Michigan that requires gun sellers to conduct federal background checks on all unlicensed gun buyers because it said the state’s cannabis laws had enabled “habitual marijuana users” and other disqualified individuals to obtain firearms illegally.

While people who use cannabis are barred from owning firearms under the statute, a little-notice FBI memo from 2019 that recently surfaced shows that the federal government generally does not consider it a violation of the law for medical cannabis caregivers and growers to have guns.

"it’s a matter of “freedom and personal choices,” drawing parallels to his reasons for supporting marijuana legalization."​
If you look hard enough, you can find at least one thing to agree on.....like this ^^

Fetterman Opposes Schumer’s Zyn Nicotine Pouch Crackdown For Same ‘Freedom’ Reasons He Backs Marijuana Legalization

Sen. John Fetterman (D-PA) says he doesn’t support Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s (D-NY) call for a crackdown on the nicotine product Zyn because it’s a matter of “freedom and personal choices,” drawing parallels to his reasons for supporting marijuana legalization.

Schumer said earlier this week that he’s asking the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to investigate the health impacts and marketing of the nicotine pouches that have been popularized on social media in a way that he says appeals to youth.

“It’s a pouch packed with problems—high levels of nicotine,” the majority leader said. “I’m delivering a warning to parents, because these nicotine pouches seem to lock their sights on young kids—teenagers, and even lower—and then use the social media to hook ’em.”

Asked about Schumer’s remarks on Thursday, Fetterman said that, like alcohol and conventional tobacco products, Zyn “should be kept away from minors, of course.” But he’s not convinced that the pouches warrant special scrutiny or enforcement action.

“When I am going to have a decision, I’m going to err on the side of more freedom and personal choices and those kinds of things,” he said. “And I made that same argument when I wanted to legalize marijuana.”

He said that thousands of people die each year from the use of alcohol and cigarettes, and so he believes there are “bigger issues to address than” Zyn.

“I don’t support it—and I would never support snuff or chewing tobacco, but it’s available,” he said. “We all have these kinds of things and we should have adults having the choices to make these things available.”

The senator has long advocated for cannabis reform, including during his time as Pennsylvania’s lieutenant governor. In November, he criticized GOP lawmakers in the state for holding up legalization as neighboring states like Ohio moved forward with the policy change.

“It just makes it more silly. It’s just so simple and so easy—just give people what they want. And again, make it safe, make it pure and make jobs,” he said. “All the benefits are going to the cartels, but now, it should be going to the state.”

Schumer, for his part, also supports cannabis legalization—though much of his focus around the issue this session has been on a bipartisan marijuana banking bill that moved through a Senate committee in September and is now pending floor action.

He said last month that lawmakers will “hit the ground running” in 2024, aiming to build on bipartisan progress on several key issues, including the marijuana banking reform—though he noted it “won’t be easy.”

Beyond Party Lines: Support for Cannabis Legalization

Public Support and Demographic Trends Signal Momentum for Federal Marijuana Legalization.​

The TDR Three Takeaways:

1. Broad Support Across Demographics: The majority of Americans, including young adults, Republicans, African-Americans, and Hispanics, support federal marijuana legalization. This reflects a shift in attitudes across different age groups and political affiliations.
  2. Political Impact Across Parties: Marijuana legalization is a unifying issue among various political groups, including those disenchanted with major parties and undecided voters. It shows potential to influence future elections and political strategies.
  3. Legislative Change on the Horizon: The widespread public support is driving political efforts for marijuana legalization, focusing on rectifying past injustices, medical use, and economic opportunities. This growing momentum suggests possible federal legislative changes soon.
The call for federal marijuana legalization is underscored by significant public support, a fact highlighted by recent survey data. Most Americans are in favor of legalization, with 57% supporting and 30% opposing it, according to a survey by The Tarrance Group. Delving into the demographics, 67% of those aged 18-44 are in favor, suggesting a generational shift in attitudes towards cannabis. Support for legalization is not confined to one political party; while 67% of Democratic identifiers are in favor, a significant 48% of Republican identifiers also support legalization. Notably, younger Republicans under the age of 55 show even greater support at 55%.

The survey data also reveals that support crosses racial lines, with 64% of African Americans and 61% of Hispanics favoring legalization. Among white voters, the support stands at 57%. These numbers suggest a broad cultural shift that extends beyond racial and ethnic boundaries.

The issue of marijuana legalization also resonates with voters who have negative views of both major political candidates, with 55% of so-called “double haters” in favor of federal legalization. This group’s support indicates that the issue transcends traditional party politics and speaks to a wider desire for reform.

Furthermore, the survey indicates that undecided voters are split, with 50% in favor, reflecting the potential for marijuana legalization to be a decisive issue in future elections. Biden voters show substantial support for legalization at 68%, aligning with the administration’s recent steps towards decriminalization.

The push for rescheduling cannabis, led by figures such as Senator Gillibrand and Representative Nadler, is gaining traction against the backdrop of this strong public support. Their comments were recorded in a NY Post article. Their efforts are aimed at rectifying the historical impact of marijuana laws and facilitating its medical use, alongside opening economic opportunities, and ensuring competitive markets.

This data-driven understanding of public opinion on marijuana legalization reveals a trend towards acceptance and the potential for significant legislative changes. The intersection of public support, demographic trends, and political advocacy is creating a momentum that could lead to the end of federal prohibition on marijuana, shaping policy that is reflective of contemporary societal views and needs.

I thought this was a well structured, cogent, argument against Sched I vs fully de-scheduled. And I agree....all Sched I will do is cover politicians ass and fuck those of us who use cannabis for med purposes. Of course, Sched I also blindly ignore the situation of 24 states that have full rec. Its just a half measure for optics and is, IME, a totally cowardly response from our professional political class

Rescheduling medical marijuana opens Pandora’s box | OPINION

Picture this — hundreds of dispensaries closed in Colorado, people having to go to a local pharmacy to get their marijuana, then paying out of pocket because their drug insurance policy doesn’t cover it. Add to this, the loss to Colorado of hundreds of millions in annual tax revenue and tourism dollars
1706974880594.png
. All of this could happen, if the proposed rescheduling of medical marijuana to DEA Schedule III is approved, a change supported
1706974880652.png
by Attorney General Phil Weiser and Gov. Jared Polis
1706974880698.png

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently made an unprecedented recommendation, asking marijuana be moved from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act
1706974880734.png
. A letter
1706974880774.png
from Dr. Rachel Levine
1706974880810.png
, HHS Assistant Secretary for Health, to the to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) administrator
1706974880854.png
, indicated the review was in response to a request from President Joe Biden. This is the latest initiative in his drug policy evolution, which has included pardons
1706974880890.png
for drug offenders and support
1706974880921.png
for expanded research opportunities.

Stay up to speed: Sign up for daily opinion in your inbox Monday-Friday
1706974880952.png

The letter was accompanied by a 250-page treatise which supports the proposed change, while also admitting safety data was scarce, and calling out state programs with inconsistent product standards. Marijuana currently has a Schedule I classification
1706974880981.png
, meaning it has no accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Schedule III drugs
1706974881010.png
, like codeine and barbiturates, have a legitimate use and are considered safer, with only a moderate to low potential for dependence.

If this recommendation is adopted, would doctors be able to write prescriptions for marijuana products; such as flowers, concentrates, topicals and edibles? The answer is “maybe,” because federal regulations
1706974881040.png
put it in a gray area. Neither fish nor fowl, marijuana would still be considered a controlled substance, but not an FDA-approved prescription drug, and patients would still need a doctor’s prescription to get it in Colorado. This assumes physicians and other health care providers would be willing to take the risk and accept the liability for writing a prescription for a controlled substance which is not FDA-approved and may cause serious health problems
1706974881070.png
. Federal regulations mandate it can be dispensed by a licensed pharmacist
1706974881098.png
in a DEA-registered pharmacy, or by an individual practitioner, and detailed records must be kept and provided to the DEA.

Thousands of medical marijuana dispensaries
1706974881128.png
in Colorado and the rest of the U.S. may be forced to close, as they would not meet these requirements, resulting in a huge impact on a multibillion dollar industry, which has the potential of reaching the trillion-dollar
1706974881158.png
mark. It also calls into question the legal status of recreational marijuana, which would need to be considered a Schedule III drug as well, and handled similarly. There are presently no “recreational” DEA Schedule II-V controlled substances, so all marijuana sold would have to be considered “medical” and dispensed only with a doctor’s prescription by a pharmacy or an individual practitioner.

If marijuana was moved to Schedule III, could the FDA unilaterally approve it, and declare it a “safe and effective drug?” No, because obtaining FDA approval is a rigorous process, typically taking years, as Phase 1-4 clinical trials are conducted with only 13.8% of drugs submitted receiving final approval
1706974881189.png
. Clinical trials are expensive, and may require the participation of thousands of volunteer subjects, in order to find out if a drug is truly safe and effective. Even after approval, drugs may be subject to recall, and indications for use made more restrictive. There is no quick and easy path to FDA approval, and trying to do this would upend years of important work by the FDA, which has a history of protecting the public from dangerous drugs, such as thalidomide
1706974881218.png
, quinine sulfate and carbinoxamine
1706974881248.png

Some of the harmful effects of marijuana are well-known, with others discovered only recently. It can have deleterious effects on the respiratory system
1706974881279.png
, and may also be associated with major cardiovascular events
1706974881308.png
, including: stroke, heart attack
1706974881336.png
, arrhythmias, blood clotting abnormalities and blood vessel disease. Short- and long-term cognitive impairment issues
1706974881367.png
may occur, and there can be serious effects on the neurologic development of young people, with an increased risk for the development of psychosis and schizophrenia
1706974881398.png
. A landmark study
1706974881427.png
involving more than 200,000 young people was published in 2021. It found heavy use of marijuana by teens and young adults with mood disorders was significantly associated with an increased risk of self-harm and death by suicide and homicide. It is a sad irony Dr. Levine
1706974881458.png
, a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and board-certified in adolescent medicine, would not recognize these risks and call them out, as this important study was neither referenced nor included in the bibliography of her report
1706974881492.png

Colorado and other states could continue to defy federal controlled substance regulations; however, any expected financial benefits from rescheduling
1706974881521.png
; whether it be tax deductions, new investments
1706974881551.png
or a relaxation of banking restrictions
1706974881581.png
would not likely occur, unless marijuana dispensing was done in a legal manner. Would health care insurance companies, pharmacy benefit managers, Medicare and Medicaid pay for something not yet proven safe and effective, something lacking the purity demanded of FDA-approved drugs? The answer is “no,” because drugs that are not FDA-approved, like marijuana, are rarely covered as a benefit.

The proposed rescheduling could also open the door for the reclassification of other Schedule I drugs, such as “magic mushrooms” and psychedelics that have recently been “legalized” as medical treatments in Oregon
1706974881612.png
and Colorado
1706974881661.png
. This is certainly possible, but like the marijuana example, federal regulations would bring dispensing under the auspices of DEA-registered pharmacies, pharmacists and individual practitioners, rather than “facilitators
1706974881754.png
” and “healing centers
1706974881804.png
.”

FDA-approved medications
1706974881839.png
containing Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) as well as cannabidiol (CBD), both chemical constituents of marijuana, have been used as appetite stimulants, anti-nausea agents and for pediatric seizure disorders. The argument marijuana must be rescheduled in order to do clinical research is incorrect, as there are currently more than 180 clinical trials in the U.S. studying THC
1706974881874.png
and CBD
1706974881905.png
, and they are actively recruiting volunteers. This is in addition to the 426 studies already completed. Harmful health effects
1706974881936.png
aside, rescheduling marijuana will present a host of unintended consequences.

Though the federal government will ultimately decide whether or not to legalize controlled substances such as marijuana, rescheduling is not the correct path to follow. Politics should not be driving this issue, as the FDA and the entire medical community should have the right to decide whether or not marijuana is a safe and effective prescription drug.

John M. Williams, Sr., MD, MPH is a board-certified public health physician in Colorado and has held a DEA Controlled Substance Registration Certificate for more than 40 years. While practicing occupational medicine, he helped draft the state of Colorado’s “Traumatic Brain Injury Medical Treatment Guidelines.” He is also a former senior medical director for UnitedHealth Group, working in pharmacy benefits management, including prior authorization and appeals determinations.

"According to Lake, substantial marijuana reform action from Biden would signal to voters he is a “modern president”

Yeah, well too bad...the facts are that Biden spent 47 years in the Senate as a anti-drug warrior and is in significant part responsible for some of the most egregious drug criminalization and penalty legislation in the country's history. This is who Biden really is on this subject, who he has been for a very long time, and any MJ friendly actions by him are just pandering for votes as all politicians do in an election year. Don't hold your breath for significant Federal legalization changes on his watch.

Of course, Trump and the GOP are no friends to MJ legalization either.

Biden missing opportunity on legalizing Marijuana, advocates warn

Biden Faces Criticism from Cannabis Advocates for Reluctance to Fully Legalize Marijuana.​

Cannabis advocates say President Biden is missing an opportunity to sway young voters with his reluctance to take bigger steps to legalize marijuana at the federal level.

The Biden administration has opened several avenues for marijuana reform including issuing federal pardons for simple possession and starting the process of potentially rescheduling marijuana’s status under the Controlled Substances Act from Schedule I to Schedule III.

But those measures have failed to excite advocates, who say Biden is falling short of his 2020 campaign promises and failing to address the disparate overcriminalization of the drug that has unduly impacted minority communities.

Progressive lawmakers in the Senate are urging the administration to go further and completely deschedule the drug, which would effectively decriminalize it at the federal level, as opposed to rescheduling it, which would reduce penalties and restrictions.

“Marijuana’s placement in the [Controlled Substances Act] has had a devastating impact on our communities and is increasingly out of step with state law and public opinion,” 12 Democratic lawmakers wrote to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) last month.

Karen O’Keefe, director of state policies at the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP), told The Hill that rescheduling would be better than the “status quo” but still “vastly less than what we need from the federal government and where the public at large is.”

“It’s a popular issue that’s up for grabs for whatever candidate is willing to listen to the people on it,” O’Keefe added.

Public opinion is strongly in favor of marijuana legalization. A Gallup poll from November found a record 70 percent of Americans believed marijuana should be legal.

More recent polling from Lake Research Partners backs up public support for federal marijuana reform, with 58 percent supporting a rescheduling to Schedule III, compared to 19 percent who opposed the move.

“It’s a really strong issue with some constituencies that Democrats really need to increase their support and enthusiasm, specifically young people, African Americans, Democratic base voters, people of color, young men of color,” said Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster and strategist who serves as president of Lake Research Partners.

Hayley Matz Meadvin, executive vice president of communications at Precision Strategies and a former Biden administration staffer, noted the “supermajority of support” behind marijuana legalization could help Biden lure in voters across the political spectrum.

“This is a popular issue that motivates voters, and it doesn’t just motivate — it clearly just doesn’t motivate [exclusively] Democrats. And … that will be critical this fall,” Meadvin said.

Biden and Trump, his likely 2024 rival, are polling neck and neck both nationally and in key swing states. The election could come down to a few thousand voters in those states, potentially giving niche issues such marijuana added importance.

While campaigning for the White House in 2020, Biden said, “No one should be in jail because of marijuana. As President, I will decriminalize cannabis use and automatically expunge prior convictions.”

Advocates say his actions so far fall short of that promise. And they said he may struggle to clearly communicate any progress on marijuana reform, especially as some actions are left unfinished; the DEA has yet to issue its decision on rescheduling marijuana, and the federal pardons issued last year could not apply to state-level convictions, though Biden has encouraged governors to follow his lead.

“The actions need to be finalized. I mean, it needs to be rescheduled. It needs to be reclassified,” Lake said. “You can definitely run on, ‘I am the one who ordered the DEA and the Department of Justice to reclassify it.’”

When reached for comment, a White House spokesperson told The Hill: “The President has been clear for a long time that our nation’s marijuana laws are outdated and are failing communities, particularly communities of color. His campaign commitment was to do what he can to ensure that no one is in jail for marijuana possession alone. And he’s taken historic actions to achieve that.”

The DEA, when reached for comment, said there was no update regarding its evaluation of marijuana scheduling.

While marijuana reform may not be among the issues expected to dominate the 2024 elections — abortion rights, the economy and immigration among them — strategists such as Meadvin note that smaller issues frequently break through the noise during election cycles.

“There are a lot of competing interests during every election — and there certainly were last year as well, and this issue broke through in Ohio. It has broken through in states across the country, and it will continue to do so,” Meadvin said.

According to Lake, substantial marijuana reform action from Biden would signal to voters he is a “modern president” and could make a difference in states including Arizona, Michigan, Nevada and Wisconsin.

“I would restate how strong this is to couple with criminal justice reform,” Lake said. “I think that it’s not just one step; it’s a whole schema and can be coupled with criminal justice, can be coupled with what he said to states. And I think the whole bundle is a very, very strong message to young people.”

While I'm no fan of Barbra Lee and think she has advocated some of the dumbest proposals in recent history and seems to have zero understanding of economics (can you say $50/hour minimum wage for grilling up your Big Mac?), I agree with her that rescheduling to Schedule III is no solution to the current abhorrent and idiotic criminalization of MJ at the Federal level. So, what are they going to do if rescheduled....close down dispensaries, require pharmacies to carry MJ, require a prescription for your purchases, etc. Its no solution at all although it will make conducting research easier.

"it’s about elections and it’s about trying to make sure that the president is not successful, nor the House Democrats or the Senate Democrats,” she said. “Rather than doing the people’s business, which is what we were elected to do, it’s just all about trying to stop President Biden from winning reelection.”

Ms. Lee...who I really consider to be a moron....seems to have overlooked that Biden and the Democrat party had the WH and majority of BOTH chambers of Congress and didn't get squat done. While there is a lot of blame to spread around to all Fed politicians, its just much easier to just point fingers than acknowledge your own failure.

Congresswoman Says Marijuana Rescheduling Could Set Full Federal Legalization Back ‘Another 50 Years’

Rescheduling marijuana could set the country back “another 50 years” on the path to federal legalization, a Democratic lawmaker who leads the Congressional Cannabis Caucus says.

At a National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA) summit in Sacramento on Thursday, Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) told Marijuana Moment that she’s “opposed” to moving marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III, as the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has recommended to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

“Because sometimes you take an incremental step such as this, which took us years and years and years to get through, it will take another 50 years to get to legalization,” the congresswoman said.

Lee said that while she hasn’t heard anything directly about whether DEA will accept the Schedule III recommendation, “I assume that they are and I’m getting ready.”

Many of the congresswoman’s colleagues, including fellow Cannabis Caucus co-chair Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR), have insisted that DEA should fully remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA), rather that simply reschedule it. But Lee is taking it a step further by explicitly opposing the incremental reform of rescheduling.

During a panel at the NCIA event on Thursday, Lee also stressed that, even if the government does move to initiate rulemaking to reschedule marijuana, advocates and stakeholders shouldn’t give up the fight.

“We still have a chance once these regulations are promulgated,” she said. “Once they come out, there will be a comment period. This is where I hope you all weigh in, because comment periods allow for interested parties, the industry, the public, to send their comments and weigh in.”

“The more realistic, practical and important input from the industry and from you all that gets to HHS, the better shape we’ll be in,” Lee said. “Even if they move forward still, we’ll be on record saying no.”

She was also asked broadly for her take on why reform has proved so difficult to advance in Congress despite bipartisan public support, and she blamed “political dynamics.”

“Of course, it’s about elections and it’s about trying to make sure that the president is not successful, nor the House Democrats or the Senate Democrats,” she said. “Rather than doing the people’s business, which is what we were elected to do, it’s just all about trying to stop President Biden from winning reelection.”

Lee was joined by California Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) Director Nicole Elliott for the panel discussion, and the top state regulator made the point that, when the federal government does eventually enact legalization, it should take lessons from state regulatory models.

“If the federal government is going to create a baseline, also acknowledge that there is a state framework that has brought in operators, that is working closely with regulators, and use that to the benefit of the broader exercise,” Elliott said. “Leverage those state frameworks, the state regulators, in a way that’s helpful to the common goal. That would the most critical thing.”

Meanwhile, the congresswoman also told Marijuana Moment after the panel that the president’s pardon proclamations for federal marijuana possession offenses should be “extended all the way out, and any unintended or intended consequences of the war on drugs should be dealt with to repair the damage.”

On the rescheduling issue, the Biden administration was recently pressed to move marijuana to Schedule III by two coalitions representing military veterans and law enforcement—including a group that counts DEA Administrator Anne Milgram among its members.

Blumenauer, the founding Cannabis Caucus co-chair, has also urged DEA to release more information about its own ongoing review, including what its “planned deadline” is for finishing and whether it will take into account the fact that many states have already legalized cannabis.

The correspondence came in response to a recent assertion from DEA that it has “final authority” on the rescheduling decision—which itself was a reply to a separate letter from Blumenauer and 30 other bipartisan lawmakers, including Lee.

Just goes to show you can find common ground on something or another with just about anybody. That I agree with Fetterman on some of his recent positions is a bit surprise to me....but, if we look we can find...yes, common ground.

Fetterman Says Excluding Military From Biden’s Marijuana Pardons Is A ‘Mistake’

Sen. John Fetterman (D-PA) says it’s a “mistake” that President Joe Biden’s marijuana pardons don’t cover possession offenses under military code, arguing that cannabis should be broadly treated the same as alcohol under federal law.

The senator said during an interview with Ask a Pol’s Matt Laslo this week that cannabis reform is one area where his position departs from the president, as he’d like to see the substance legalized and regulated like alcohol and tobacco products.

While the U.S. Army recently clarified in a branch-wide notice that marijuana possession violations under the military drug code weren’t eligible under the president’s pardons, there wasn’t a new announcement from the White House about it was indicated in the question posed to Fetterman.

In any case, the senator took the opportunity to criticize the limitation.

“I would urge him to reconsider that. I don’t think it’s helpful,” Fetterman said of the president. “If you’re willing to serve our nation in the military, to be penalized by using a substance that is statistically much safer than other legal kinds of things—I don’t really understand the logic, truthfully.”

“I think marijuana—weed is no different than alcohol. Well, the only difference is one’s legal and one isn’t,” he said. “One can ruin your career and another one, you can walk into a store and buy it and drink as much of it as you can and then show up in [the] morning and that’s not going to endanger your career.”

The senator added
1709418284521.png
that the issue “doesn’t, of course, diminish my enthusiasm for Joe Biden, and we’re not going to agree on every single issue, but this doesn’t happen to be one that I do.”

Biden has faced questions over the limitations of his pardon actions, which cover people who’ve violated federal possession offenses, including those that took place on federal property. Advocates would like to see that relief extended further to, for example, include people with non-violent cannabis sale convictions as well as immigrants and people punished for violating military code.

Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), co-chair of the Congressional Cannabis Caucus, told Marijuana Moment last week that the pardons should be “extended all the way out, and any unintended or intended consequences of the war on drugs should be dealt with to repair the damage.”

Former Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-CO), however, told Marijuana Moment that he’s been “very pleased” with Biden’s clemency actions, arguing that the president has “taken some pretty, in my opinion, bold steps.”

Fetterman, meanwhile, also said during the new interview that he personally does not use marijuana, despite his longstanding advocacy for legalization and frequent embrace of cannabis culture, including during his time as Pennsylvania’s lieutenant governor.

“No, no, I really don’t use it,” he said. “But that doesn’t — I don’t use tobacco at all, but that should be legal. I don’t drink very frequently, but it should all be legal. So it’s the same kind of substance that it should be pure, safe and legal, and allowing adults to partake, because that’s their right.”

Asked about the broader drug war, Fetterman said there are “drugs that are dangerous that shouldn’t be in a conversation of legalizing it,” but the current system of criminalization “isn’t working.”

“I’m making it part of a conversation. I think we should be able to do that,” he said.

The senator also led a letter to the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) last month alongside Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) that called on the agency to fully legalize cannabis and answer questions about the agency’s ongoing scheduling review.

Also last month, Fetterman said he doesn’t support Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer’s (D-NY) call for a crackdown on the nicotine product Zyn because it’s a matter of “freedom and personal choices,” drawing parallels to his reasons for supporting marijuana legalization.

Federal Agency Says There’s ‘Little Research’ Supporting Marijuana Driving Impairment Tests Based On THC Concentration

A federal traffic safety agency says that there’s “relatively little research” backing the idea that THC concentration in the blood can be used to determine impairment, calling into question laws in several states that set “per se” limits for cannabinoid metabolites.

In a draft report posted last month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) discussed mixed scientific findings about marijuana and driving but questioned the broader concept of impairment testing that’s based on THC content in a person’s system.

“Several states have determined legal per se definitions of cannabis impairment, but relatively little research supports their relationship to crash risk,” the report says. “Unlike the research consensus that establishes a clear correlation between [blood alcohol content] and crash risk, drug concentration in blood does not correlate to driving impairment.”

Petition to decriminalize marijuana in Dallas

While NHTSA pointed to certain studies that it said supports the idea that cannabis use may increase the risk of traffic accidents, it also noted additional research that “did not find a significant correspondence” between marijuana and how police assign responsibility for accidents.

The report’s
1709599074978.png
point about per se THC limits is consistent with recent comments from a Justice Department researcher who said that states may need to “get away from that idea” that marijuana impairment can be tested based on the concentration of THC in a person’s system.

“If you have chronic users versus infrequent users, they have very different concentrations correlated to different effects,” Frances Scott, a physical scientist at the National Institute of Justice (NIJ) Office of Investigative and Forensic Sciences under DOJ, said.

That issue was also examined in a recent federally funded study that identified two different methods of more accurately testing for recent THC use that accounts for the fact that metabolites of the cannabinoid can stay present in a person’s system for weeks or months after consumption.

Meanwhile, NHTSA also owe a report to Congress on research barriers that are inhibiting the development of a standardized test for marijuana impairment on the roads.

Chinese Gangs Overtaking US Weed Market, CCP Connection Raises Alarms

Chinese Gangs' Illicit Weed Farms Surge Across US, Challenging Mexican Cartels; CCP Connection Sparks Concerns.​

Chinese gangs are behind THOUSANDS of illegal weed farms across the US - sparking fears that CCP could become new cannabis kingpins.

Chinese gangs have set up thousands of illicit weed farms across the US as they begin to challenge Mexican cartels for supremacy as America's cannabis kingpins.

Authorities in Oklahoma, Oregon, California, New Mexico and Maine have all been battling a surge in Chinese weed farms, with some thought to be linked to criminal gangs known as 'triads'.

The spread is seemingly uncontainable, with police in Penobscot County, Maine, last week arresting three Chinese nationals at a weed farm and seizing 40 pounds of the drug alongside $4,700 in cash.

It is thought to be one of around 270 illegal weed farms worth more than $4billion that have sprung up across the state since it legalized the drug in 2020.

Local law enforcement has carried out multiple busts already this year.

Meanwhile, around 2,000 'suspicious' marijuana plants in Oklahoma have been linked to China, accounting for two thirds of weed farms under surveillance, state narcotics police told Politico.

Earlier this month, a Chinese ringleader was sentenced to life in prison after pleading guilty to fatally shooting four people at an illegal medical marijuana operation in Oklahoma.

Mexican cartels have long dominated the market for illegal weed in the US, but officials are now warning that Chinese funding for such operations is skyrocketing.

It is not known whether the money is coming from groups connected to the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), but experts have pointed out that triads are usually only allowed to operate if they agree to act as informal 'enforcers' for the government.

Last year, a Homeland Security memo leaked to the Daily Caller attributed the growth to Asian Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs), with one official raising the possibility that profits are being funneled back to Beijing.

Chinese immigrant workers have alleged they were lured to northern New Mexico under false pretenses and forced to work 14 hours a day at an illegal marijuana plant backed with funds from a China-based energy giant, according to a lawsuit filed last year.

The operation was shut down by police in 2020, but those behind it upped sticks to Oklahoma - taking many of their workers with them - before that farm was also busted in 2022.

The crackdown in Southern and Western states has been put forward as one reason for the explosion in weed farms in Maine.

For several years, Maine residents have spoken out about a surge in marijuana-odor filled homes popping up across the state, including near daycares and schools.

The Chinese owners, who speak little to no English, have allegedly earned a notorious reputation throughout Maine for spending thousands on cultivating equipment, namely by demanding items from their phones.

Homes that have been identified as part of the extensive statewide apparatus appear to be found in everyday sleepy suburbs, yet are said to have been plaguing their neighborhoods as a strong marijuana smell emanates even from a distance away and are fitted with extensive electrical upgrades.

Experts estimate that a standard 2,500 square foot home can produce upwards of $3million of marijuana every year.

Some of the profits are allegedly sent directly back to China, while some of the ill-gotten gains remain in the US to keep up criminal activities.

According to an investigation by Maine Wire into 100 of the identified sites, they were all purchased since marijuana was legalized, by single Chinese adults primarily from New York and Massachusetts.

Although the homes are allegedly filed under the single names, many are tied together by factors such as car registrations - indicating they may be connected and controlled by an umbrella organization.

Neighbors say it has become a near-monthly sight to see a van with New York or Massachusetts plates arrive at the pot-filled homes.

In January, Maine authorities raided an illegal Chinese-run marijuana operation in the aptly-named town of China in Kennebec County.

The Chinese-owned growing plants have emerged at a time when the marijuana industry is skyrocketing in the US, opening up million-dollar revenue streams for many - including the Amish community who were detailed in a DailyMail.com
1709599272881.png
investigation last year.

Nationwide, Homeland Security has reportedly found a total of 749 properties linked to Asian TCOs, indicating Maine has become a particular hotbed for CCP activity.

It comes amid growing frustration at the failure of law enforcement to crack down on the illicit operations, with Homeland Security allegedly pleading with Maine police to help them gather intel on the properties in September.

'There are hundreds of these operations occurring throughout the state,' Penobscot County Sheriff Troy Morton told the Daily Caller at the time.

'It's upsetting to those who live near these operations, and even those who are following Maine laws and procedures.'

Those Morton was referencing, particularly Maine's law-abiding weed industry, say the infiltration of 'Triad weed' has been a disaster.

'When I say they function like a mafia, it is absolutely true,' a person inside the legal industry told the Maine Wire. 'They have a very intricate network.'

Many in the legal weed industry say they have been forced to become extremely selective to avoid using the Chinese-grown marijuana, as it is often found to contain harmful chemicals including pesticides.

The harmful elements to the product is another example of the struggle law enforcement have had in clamping down on the illegal marijuana grown by illegal immigrants.

'Regardless of where the individuals are from, the true problem involves conflicting state and federal laws,' Morton said. 'We also have little to no oversight, allowing for criminal activity to occur at a high degree.'

So what else is new? sigh

Look, the current administration had majorities in both chambers of Congress for two years and utterly failed to pass legislation modifying the Controlled Substance Act to ensure the removal of cannabis from any schedule whatsoever. And don't let anybody BS you otherwise.

Funny how things suddenly become so very important to tout when an election is upcoming.

Cannabis Rescheduling ‘Would Fail To Deliver On President Biden’s Promises’ Of Reform, Say Advocacy Groups

Advocacy Groups Warn Rescheduling Cannabis Falls Short of Biden's Promises.​

Cannabis rescheduling would ‘continue the very criminalization that Biden said he would end’, according to leading US advocacy groups that have urged the government to go further.

Last week, the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) held a virtual press conference alongside a number of other prominent advocacy organizations and business groups, arguing that cannabis needs to be removed entirely from the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

It comes as pressure mounts on the US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) to honour the recommendations of the Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) to reclassify cannabis from a Schedule I substance to a Schedule III substance, helping substantially open up access across the country.

As the DEA continues its review of the recommendations, which form part of President Biden’s pledge to reform cannabis federally, the advocacy groups made it clear that they believed rescheduling would fail to meet this pledge.

The DPA’s director of drug markets and legal regulation, Cat Packer, said: “Rescheduling marijuana without further action would fail to deliver on President Biden’s promises to Black and Brown communities and risks leaving the very individuals in communities that have borne the brunt of cannabis criminalization behind.”

“Rescheduling marijuana to Schedule III, the outcome that is anticipated to result from the Biden administration’s actions would continue the very criminalization that Biden said that he would end.”

Chair of the Cannabis Regulators of Color Coalition and founding director of Cannabis NYC, Dasheeda Dawson, said that it was critical to ‘deschedule, or do nothing’.

“Descheduling marijuana is not merely a matter of legality, it is a moral imperative. By removing cannabis from the confines of federal scheduling, we can dismantle the barriers that have hindered our efforts to repair and restore the lives of those most harmed by outdated, draconian policies.”

The group joins a growing list of prominent industry voices and lawmakers calling on the DEA and Biden administration to be bolder in their actions to reform cannabis, with many claiming it could mean the difference between winning and losing the upcoming election.

Last month, it was reported that Karen O’Keefe, director of state policies at the Marijuana Policy Project, suggested that rescheduling was ‘vastly less than what we need from the federal government and where the public at large is’.

Her suggestions that decriminalisation could be a major vote winner was echoed by Celinda Lake, a Democratic pollster and strategist who serves as president of Lake Research Partners, who told the publication it could be key in swing states.

“It’s a really strong issue with some constituencies that Democrats really need to increase their support and enthusiasm, specifically young people, African Americans, Democratic base voters, people of color, young men of color.”

Hoping for anything positive from the DEA is, IMO, wishful thinking. IMO, at best the DEA will be dragged, kicking and screaming, to the table.

As for rescheduling....so, as a Schedule III it will be a regulated pharmaceutical requiring a prescription as do all other schedule III drugs. So, does that mean that dispensaries will be closed down and MJ will have to be gotten from a pharmacy (yeah, right..sigh). And what of states that are full rec...will these operations then become an illegal distribution of controlled pharmaceuticals?

I think its a half ass idea coming from half ass politicians. Half ass seems to be their superpower.

The DEA Can Save the Withering Weed Industry. Will It?

North America’s cannabis industry can’t afford much more political heartbreak.​

In the 14 months since the last failed US attempt at meaningful cannabis reform, weed stocks have tanked, investment’s dried up, sales have stagnated and spending on growth has shrunk. The industry’s now placing its hope in the government agency that’s responsible for much of its misery in the first place: the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Talk of rescheduling — moving marijuana from the most-restricted drug category to a lesser one — has overtaken talk of complete legalization on cannabis companies’ conference calls, according to transcripts analyzed by Bloomberg, following an August recommendation by the US Department of Health and Human Services that the DEA relax its stance.

It’s a drastic shift in focus. Legalization, once the industry’s holy grail, is now hardly being mentioned.

Cannabis companies believe they would pay hundreds of millions of dollars less each year in taxes and be eligible for cheaper loans if rescheduling goes through. Desperately needed funds from investors sidelined by legal red tape would also likely flow, as would public listings on US stock exchanges.

President Joe Biden raised marijuana reform in his State of the Union address Thursday night, pushing the probability that a rescheduling decision is made in the next few months to 80%, Bloomberg Intelligence said in a note Friday.

But a green light is far from guaranteed, and the longer the industry goes without meaningful change, the more likely it is to be snuffed out before it gets a real chance to flourish.

“There’s a lot of companies that have a runway or, I think, a little bit more like a fuse that is burning out,” TerrAscend Corp. Chairman Jason Wild said in an interview.

Lacking clarity from the federal government, weed companies are expected to cut their growth investments by about 28%, or $303 million, this year. Green Thumb Industries Inc. announced an extra $50 million share buyback last week even as analysts anticipate its capital expenditure will more than halve this year, suggesting the company may be struggling to return value to shareholders by expanding.

That underinvestment has weighed on growth, alongside competition with the illicit market and health concerns about high-potency products. Sales have been essentially flat since the start of last year, while triple-digit growth was the norm in 2020 and early 2021. Green Thumb, Verano Holdings Corp. and Trulieve Cannabis Corp. beat fourth-quarter revenue expectations when they reported last week — but expectations were low at just 3%.

The DEA classifies cannabis as a Schedule I narcotic currently — on par with heroin and more dangerous than fentanyl. While more than half the states have legalized marijuana, the fact that the federal government hasn’t means the industry pays higher taxes because it’s not allowed to deduct basic expenses like wages, or get tax credits.

“It’d be nice to be treated like every other industry and not have it where you have to be like a ninja in order to be truly cash flow positive,” TerrAscend’s Wild said.

Some are already acting as if the law has changed. Trulieve asked for, and received, $113 million in federal taxes back after using what it’s calling a “trade secret” legal strategy to argue it’s exempt from the relevant tax code — though its holding onto those funds in anticipation it may have to pay that money back.

Green Thumb sees rescheduling halving its tax burden, while Verano estimates it could’ve saved $80 million last year. It could also let consumers use credit cards at weed dispensaries, meaning companies could hold less cash and earn interest on reserves.

The lack of a federal cannabis policy change “allows these antiquated policies to further hinder economic growth at all levels of the industry,” Verano President Darren Weiss said in an emailed statement.

The pressure has kept the industry in the doldrums. The AXS Cannabis Index has fallen 85% since 2020 and Global X ETFs liquidated its cannabis fund this year after it fell 96% over its lifetime.

But the recent attitude shifts have some investors taking notice. Shares of some cannabis companies have rallied this year, with Trulieve surging more than 85%, Cresco Labs Inc. 14.5%, and Curaleaf Holdings Inc., Green Thumb, Verano all up about 3%.

“Now is the time to be deploying capital into these companies before there’s a ‘quote-unquote’ catalyst,” Poseidon Asset Management Co-Founder Emily Paxhia said in an interview. Poseidon holds stakes in Green Thumb and Ascend Wellness Holdings Inc., with plans to invest in others.

“I do think there are groups who are waiting on the sidelines for these specific markers from the federal government,” Paxhia said.

Without meaningful legislative change, a wave of mergers is likely, industry analysts say.

“If it doesn’t get done then we’ll start to see the consolidation of business that can’t survive here, we’ll start to see a lot of retail stores just go out of business,” Roth MKM Managing Director Scott Fortune said in an interview.

"the latest example of how the administration is recognizing the popularity of cannabis reform ahead of the November elections."

Yep, you can tell that an election is coming up....but what about the last 3 years???

Biden Tells Supporter He’s ‘Taking Care’ Of Marijuana Reform At Campaign Stop

President Joe Biden says he’s “taking care” of marijuana reform, acknowledging a supporter with a sign echoing the president’s cannabis campaign pledges.

After Biden delivered a speech in Wisconsin on Wednesday, he made brief remarks at his state campaign headquarters, where supporters held signs that said “We’re On Board” and included different reasons they back his reelection bid.

Around 4:20pm local time, the president recognized one person with a sign that said he’s “on board” because he agrees that “no one should be jailed for using or possessing marijuana,” according to a White House pool report.

“I’m taking care of that,” Biden said
1710514419451.png

The sign’s message echoes the president’s cannabis message during his State of the Union address last week, which he also included in a social media post recapping his speech that became his most popular of the night.

Of course, the statement itself is somewhat misleading, as nobody is currently in federal prison over cannabis possession alone and two rounds of mass marijuana pardons the president has issued did not free anyone from prison. Biden has also misstated the impact of the clemency action, falsely asserting that he expunged cannabis records. Pardons constitute formal forgiveness, but they do not seal records.

Three dozen congressional lawmakers sent a letter to the president on Thursday that called on him to go further by granting clemency to all Americans who are actually incarcerated over non-violent cannabis offenses such as distribution.

In any case, the fact that Biden singled out the supporter with the marijuana sign seems to be the latest example of how the administration is recognizing the popularity of cannabis reform ahead of the November elections.

To that end, Vice President Kamala Harris is set to meet with cannabis pardon recipients at the White House on Friday to discuss their experiences under the president’s clemency proclamations.

Biden has also touted his marijuana scheduling directive that led the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to recommend that the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) move cannabis from Schedule I to Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

Based on a recent poll, Biden’s cannabis moves stand to benefit him in November. The survey found the president’s favorability spiked after people were made aware of the possibility that cannabis could be rescheduled under the Biden-initiated review.

HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra defended the rescheduling recommendation against criticism from a GOP senator during a committee hearing on Thursday.

Rescheduling is a false promise and no solution, IMO. Are you going to then going to have to take a prescription to a pharmacy to get your cannabis and put all of the dispensaries out of business? Yeah, that ain't never going to happen.

Top Biden Health Official Defends Marijuana Rescheduling Recommendation Against Criticism From GOP Senator

The Biden administration’s top health official is defending his department’s recommendation to reschedule marijuana against criticism from a Republican senator, noting that many states have “moved much farther than the federal government” on cannabis.

At a Senate Finance Committee hearing on Thursday, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) pressed Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Xavier Becerra on the agency’s recommendation that the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) move marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule III under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA).

Cornyn inquired about the parameters of the scientific review into cannabis that was directed by President Joe Biden and carried out by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) under HHS, suggesting that it wasn’t adequately comprehensive and involved a change in process from past scheduling analyses.

“There has been a lot of science that’s been collected over the years on cannabis. We have far more information now,” Becerra replied, citing the 252-page analysis that HHS provided DEA to support its rescheduling recommendation.

“As you know, throughout the country, many states have moved much farther than the federal government has. Even in places like Texas, you see where action has been taken on cannabis,” he said, referring to that state’s limited medical marijuana program. “What we’re doing is simply reflecting what the science is showing.”

Now it’s up to DEA to make the final determination. Cannabis lobbyist Don Murphy asked Becerra after the hearing whether he had a sense of timing for the agency’s decision, but the health official replied that “you need to go to the DEA and ask.”

“Knock on their door,” the secretary said.

During the hearing, Cornyn also asked
1710514599086.png
why the review looked at marijuana’s abuse potential compared to heroin but not certain other Schedule I drugs.

Becerra said he wanted to avoid speaking for FDA given that the agency’s scientists conducted the review “independently” of HHS leadership, but he stressed that “the rigorous work that was done to come to these conclusions was based on the science and the evidence they had before them.”

Cornyn also questioned whether the review examined health impacts of marijuana use on adolescent brains and pregnant women—echoing specific talking points
1710514599119.png
that have been circulated by the prohibitionist group Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) to criticize the HHS recommendation.

“I’m sure they took into consideration all the information out there on both the effects and the evidence that there is on cannabis use,” the secretary said of the officials who conducted the review. “I’m sure that FDA would have taken into account all the different circumstances involved. I didn’t make the recommendation. It was made by FDA.”

In January, Becerra also said that his agency has “communicated” its “position” on marijuana rescheduling to DEA and has continued to offer additional information to assist with the final determination.

DEA retains final authority over the scheduling matter, and it’s currently unclear when the agency will announce its decision.

Certain DEA officials are reportedly resisting the Biden administration’s rescheduling push, disputing the HHS findings on marijuana’s safety profile and medical potential, according to unnamed sources who spoke with The Wall Street Journal.

Meanwhile, in addition to directing the scheduling review, Biden has also issued two rounds of pardons to people who’ve committed federal marijuana possession offenses, which he recently touted during his State of the Union address.

On Thursday, a coalition of 36 members of Congress called on Biden to go further by granting clemency to all Americans currently in federal prison over non-violent cannabis convictions by commuting their sentences, pointing out that the pardons he’s issued to date for simple possession cases did not release a single person from incarceration.

The letter also comes one day before Vice President Kamala Harris is set to meet with cannabis pardon recipients at the White House to discuss their experiences under the president’s clemency proclamations.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back