Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy What The Hell Are You Listening To?

i'll make another post, because this is totally different and i am looking for advice.
i really like this

and anyone who has seen mulholland drive will know this

but i find it a difficult genre to research. doowop? there is so much out there, but a lot is also kind of mediocre (imo). then occasionally gems like these. if anyone has any suggestions for me, points of entry, singers, labels, id love to hear them! thanks!

but i find it a difficult genre to research. doowop? there is so much out there, but a lot is also kind of mediocre (imo). then occasionally gems like these. if anyone has any suggestions for me, points of entry, singers, labels, id love to hear them! thanks!
I think part of the issue with researching this genre is that it spans over a couple decades. So... hmmm... perhaps the question is what is 'true' doo wop....

@Cuckfumbustion you are someone that seems to have a good grasp on musical 'history.' Do you have some suggestions?

@Cuckfumbustion you are someone that seems to have a good grasp on musical 'history.' Do you have some suggestions?
A place to start. Many the popular acts that you would find on any jukebox back in the day are mentioned. Although I'm sure there is some Doo-wop that crosses the line between Doo-wop and crooning that existed before even that.

The video game Fallout has used a lot of 50's Doo-wop and rockabilly in their games. All good choices that set the tone.

There is the lo-fi and 'greasy kid stuff'' garage quality. Smaller record labels. Earnest young performers and vocal experimentation. Regional styles with their own take. A rabbit hole worth entering. :whoa:

What might be considered retro. ShaNaNa, Frank Zappa's Reuben and the Jets and Neil Young and the Shocking Pinks. Sure there is newer Doo-wop bands that emulate that style. I do like the one in the film Animal house. Shama Lama Ding Dong

It has been a while that I delved into this genre. Sure their is youtube channels dedicated to each subgenre that is worth checking that might unearth some gems. :sherlock:

I think part of the issue with researching this genre is that it spans over a couple decades. So... hmmm... perhaps the question is what is 'true' doo wop....
very good point. also i am terrible at identifying genres. not sure if either song qualifies as doowop. have my doubts re linda scott. the mood seems similar between these two but i suppose it is pop? from the 60s? whatever that means, pop isnt a helpful term :)
and @Cuckfumbustion: thanks a lot! this is indeed a starting point, and your choices put this in a different perspective for me. i skimmed through the wiki & was surprised to read doowop is considered a sub genre of rhythm & blues - really just shows how inept i am with these labels, but i guess rhythm & blues is in itself a rather foggy term. or it is just me thats foggy.
i will give the fallout soundtrack a chance, soundtracks are often friendly soft entries, and am really curious about
A rabbit hole worth entering. :whoa:
because who could resist that?

thanks you two!

just came across this, great beat

@im not a robot, Glad to turn you on to more music! And thanks for the praise. :biggrin: Yes the Fallout soundtracks is a friendly soft entry. Todd Howard had a large pool of music to start with and listened to it all at work and sifted out the tracks he got tired of. Because they could be played repetitively in game, he wanted to prevent the player of getting tired of the music. So they all have been stress tested. I've grown to like the one below. Imagine Bob Crosby crooning "The weed is the head-est. Way back home." :ko:

Blues Brothers covered this one from The Chips.

Some people consider this to be the first Rock and Roll song.

Last edited:
this is great. really liking the chips song.
@momofthegoons wondering if it is warranted to start a dedicated rhythm & blues thread, this being such a broad term? but not sure.. would take away from the variety of this thread, + one more to watch..
either way, i dont think i have posted this here before, though i am sure most know it. but it happens to be one of my favourite songs of all time

@momofthegoons wondering if it is warranted to start a dedicated rhythm & blues thread,
Well.... we already have 3 music threads; 'The Beats' for general music you like, this thread for random music... and the 'Country' music thread. Don't know if it's really necessary to have another...

Edit: Actually.... we have four.... I forgot about the 'Covers' thread....

Last edited:
Edit: Actually.... we have four.... I forgot about the 'Covers' thread....
yes
reason i asked was because it looks like an attempt to keep things organized. well, selfish reasons too :) but it splinters attention (i rarely look into the country thread for instance, which i should change..), and besides there are many other conceiveable threads: classical music, world music (hate that name), etc etc

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back