Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy WTF Retirement?

CarolKing

Always in search of the perfect vaporizer
I’ve been thinking the pros and cons of retirement. I do like my job but feel I need to retire while I’m still riding high sorta speak. Meaning I want to feel like I still have a lot of life left. I don’t want folks at work to feel I’m not as productive. I’m going to be working probably another year or two. Maybe some of you might have some suggestions as to when we might know when we are ready or are we ever ready?

I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night thinking about retirement. Should i or shouldn’t I.

Imo, when (or whether) to retire depends on a couple things. The obvious one is whether you financially afford to. But the one most don't think of is your personality. Are you the type of person that needs something to do all the time? Or are you the type of person that can self entertain; even if you are at home?

Lockdown would have been a good 'barometer' for this. If it drove you nuts being cooped up at home for any of it and you found yourself going out for 'essentials' often.... you are probably not ready. Or will need something to feel productive if you do retire; like volunteer work. Otherwise it will be a negative and can lead to depression.

I’ve been thinking the pros and cons of retirement. I do like my job but feel I need to retire while I’m still riding high sorta speak. Meaning I want to feel like I still have a lot of life left. I don’t want folks at work to feel I’m not as productive. I’m going to be working probably another year or two. Maybe some of you might have some suggestions as to when we might know when we are ready or are we ever ready?

I’ve been waking up in the middle of the night thinking about retirement. Should i or shouldn’t I.
Aside from the financials that Mom mentioned, I also want to support her suggestion of volunteer jobs and such. I absolutely need some structure in my week or I turn into a puddle and between cardiac rehab and hospice volunteering I had that until fucking COVID.

I personally believe that staying active during retirement is the key. I would have something going on in the mornings for three days of the week so I could screw off, read a book, whatever for the days in between and feel ok about it.

COVID has taken a huge bite out of me and pretty much everyone else....but in particular, retired people who, as older citizens, are reasonably more fearful of COVID and who found themselves in solitary for the last two years.

Maybe some of you might have some suggestions as to when we might know when we are ready or are we ever ready
When I met all my qualifications to enable retiring, I was initially giddy with the possibility. But as I pondered it I realized I wasn't yet ready to leave. I ended up working for an additional 4 years waiting for some sign or omen. One day I just knew that I'd had enough and that the time had come. There was no event of any kind, it just became clear to me that I no longer wanted to spend my time in that way any longer and once I'd made the definitive decision to retire there was no turning back.

I think that the right time to retire will reveal itself you.

I love being retired. Since February 2020. Was in a family business for 40 long years. Now in our mid-60s, the wife and I are doing what we want to do.
I have not missed work for a milli-second. We have heen blessed to retire debt free. Heck, the good Lord willing and if the creek don’t rise, we should have the resources we need to pay bills and enjoy our retirement.
Our situation was forced upon us when the company I worked for was sold…2 weeks prior to Covid going whack. Great timing as my job was going away with the sale.

Good luck!
vfm

I get a lot of stimulation from working and really love what I do. There is a lot more expected lately in my career field due to lack of people to fill in when someone is gone. I know it’s that way in the medical field as well. I work in the educational field. I have a lot of sick leave to use up. If I cash it out I only get 25%.

Recently there has been a change in my immediate supervisor someone inexperienced, immature and too loud. This person doesn’t think before saying something. The worst choice IMO. My choice might be hurried up a little. I do work part time so it’s been perfect for me. A rumor I heard that my start time may change to a later time as well. So my little work utopia is quickly changing. My work start time needed to be discussed with me first. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances arise beyond our controls. Retirement is coming sooner possibly than expected. Thank you for all your wise words.

I can financially afford to retire.

There is a lot more expected lately in my career field due to lack of people to fill in when someone is gone. I know it’s that way in the medical field as well. I work in the educational field. I have a lot of sick leave to use up. If I cash it out I only get 25%.

Recently there has been a change in my immediate supervisor someone inexperienced, immature and too loud. This person doesn’t think before saying something. The worst choice IMO. My choice might be hurried up a little. I do work part time so it’s been perfect for me. A rumor I heard that my start time may change to a later time as well. So my little work utopia is quickly changing. My work start time needed to be discussed with me first. Sometimes unforeseen circumstances arise beyond our controls. Retirement is coming sooner possibly than expected.
Sounds like a few real good reasons to make a change. Since you can afford to retire, perhaps finding a volunteer position might be something you would consider. Or you may end up finding something else, work wise, that you enjoy in a completely different field. Never know.

Since you enjoy working in the educational field, have you considered tutoring? The tutors I've hired for my kids in the past made some serious money doing it and could set their own hours.

Recently I filled out paperwork to start the retirement process. I will be officially retired in March. I am using up the rest of my sick leave. I had surgery in September and haven’t gone back. I went into my work area to check in with work mates and didn’t even feel like I missed my job. I miss my friends but we can always meet up for dinner or whatever.
I don’t know what the future is but ready for my next phase in life. My back is healing up nicely and I can do so much more now.
:clap:

FB_IMG_1673733057282.jpg

They make it difficult to understand the Medicare part A,B,C and D. I have the part A. Need to figure out the rest. I’ve been reading up on it. It’s giving me a headache. I have Kaiser Permanente insurance and would like to keep that. Maybe during my phone visit with Social Security will help to answer that.

@Baron23 I need structure too. I plan to do some volunteer work. Years ago I helped with abused women and children. That was when I was a young mom, before I started working.
I was feeling some sadness at the finality of retiring. Officially tomorrow I will be retired. Ive been gone since September.

I’ve been filling out paperwork and feeling overwhelmed but I will get through it like everyone else. I will be going out to lunch with a group of retirees on a monthly basis. I live on 2 acres so I’ve been thinking about the future with that. I might want to downsize. Just a lot on my mind.

@Baron23 I need structure too. I plan to do some volunteer work. Years ago I helped with abused women and children. That was when I was a young mom, before I started working.
I was feeling some sadness at the finality of retiring. Officially tomorrow I will be retired. Ive been gone since September.

I’ve been filling out paperwork and feeling overwhelmed but I will get through it like everyone else. I will be going out to lunch with a group of retirees on a monthly basis. I live on 2 acres so I’ve been thinking about the future with that. I might want to downsize. Just a lot on my mind.
You will figure it out....just relax (I know...hard to do after a lifetime on the professional work treadmill) and don't try to solve every concern at once.

I'm still struggling with the structure. They apparently are NOT reopening cardiac rehab and I don't want to do hospice visitation again.

I've structured the gym for a work out twice a week and I walk/ride elliptical but I need a volunteer job. I was going to do soup kitchen but the clients of such tend to not have as good of access to hygiene and health care and the last thing I want is COVID. And, I would need to wear a mask the entire time which I object to.

I have found a food pantry that needs volunteers to make up bags of groceries that others deliver to needy people and I want to do that.

BUT, I'm having lumbar fusion surgery next Wed and I've been putting stuff off until after I recover from that which will be 2-3 months minimum. Doc says 4 months until all restrictions are lifted so that puts everything on hold. And lately, I've been avoiding contact as much as possible because if I catch even a cold at this point the surgery will be cancelled and I've a lot of arrangements that would need to be rescheduled in such an event. So, staying on the low down for now.

2 acres....can you grow something on them....do you even like doing that kind of stuff? (I do not...hate anything that looks like yard work haha).

If not and keeping it up is a burden (it would be to me) than perhaps downsizing would be good...but again, I caution to take it all in small steps and don't be in a rush to upend the life you have now.

Cheers and best of luck.

BUT, I'm having lumbar fusion surgery next Wed and I've been putting stuff off until after I recover from that which will be 2-3 months minimum.
Good luck with your surgery @Baron23 . I hope that your convalescent goes smoothly, that you have everything that you need at your fingertips while you wait for your body to heal and that you enjoy a full recovery.

Good luck with your surgery @Baron23 . I hope that your convalescent goes smoothly, that you have everything that you need at your fingertips while you wait for your body to heal and that you enjoy a full recovery.
Thanks Squib....you da' best....well, and Mom, and Carol, and...haha

Here's the interesting bit...so, fusion means that they want the vertebrae to grow together after the surgery (and they put something in there to encourage this..dunno details). Now, as with almost anything else with MJ, research is very sparse and sketchy. But, there are indications that THC inhibits bone growth (and at 70 I'm probably on the downside of that to start with) and CBD (which really does nothing for me other than kill a buzz) promotes bone growth. And, I take Nexium every day or I end up in the ER with gastritis. Proton pump inhibitors reduce you calcium uptake as it is (so, also bought Citra-cal and B-12). This may all be BS as is so much with MJ, but I'm not taking any chances and am on a T break and bought a bunch of CBD 25 mg gummies.

We will see but it is a long recovery...so, good to start when the weather is still crap, right? haha

Cheers and thanks again for the well wishes.

Now, as with almost anything else with MJ, research is very sparse and sketchy. But, there are indications that THC inhibits bone growth (and at 70 I'm probably on the downside of that to start with) and CBD (which really does nothing for me other than kill a buzz) promotes bone growth. And, I take Nexium every day or I end up in the ER with gastritis
I also take something for gastritis.. or GERD or acid relfux.. god they have a lot of names for shit these days. BUT.... I also know that at the age of 70 my days are numbered and if I haven't already fucked myself over with the substances I've taken in the past.... a little THC aint going to be my ticket out. Add to that my intake has actually lessened with age. I'm not so worried about how much cannabis I ingest. But that's me and you do you is my motto.

You will figure it out....just relax
Truer words have never been spoken.

@CarolKing I think you will settle into a groove. Follow your bliss. This is the time of your life that you actually get to do whatever it is YOU want to do! Be it volunteer work... or gardening... or moving into a smaller environment... it's your's to do.

Speaking of gardening... I don't know how into growing your own you are. But @Squiby has an amazing set up on her property.....with raised beds . She has grown some amazing crops in those beds. If you decide to stay put for a bit.. and are inclined to garden.. perhaps you would like to get into something like this? It would be a great 'hobby' and serve a purpose as well. And would be something that wouldn't take a huge amount of effort; leaving you to do other work that you might want to do. Like some kind of volunteer work.

I'm sure you'll find your 'way.' Not everyone is :aaaaa: when they finally retire. Some reality comes into play with how old we are and that this is the 'end' of our career. And we can feel displaced. But it really doesn't need to be the case. Sometimes it's a rebirth.....

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back