Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Tips AVB vs decarboxylation for edibles

sballo

If this is not the right place to open this, I hope that a moderator to move it to the right place.

I have been toying with the idea of trying some edibles. :weed:
Being a novice in this field, I thought that a good start would be to make some edibles with AVB instead?

[By the way, do you guys really keep your AVB and use it? Is it really worth it? ]

Admittedly, I do not have an oven over here. I just have a small electric oven toaster...something similar to this one:

Amazon product ASIN B07WGZGPHM
It might not be a good idea to use it for Decarboxylation.

According to this website, the best conditoins would be at around 240 Fahrenheit for around 40 min for Decarboxylation to take place.

https://emilykylenutrition.com/cannabis-decarboxylation/

This is just my first try and I was wondering whether:

• a. I should use AVB for my first edible
  • b. I can use the Volcano Hybrid to decarboxilate :weed:? Would it work?

Besides, I wonder if someone could recommend a very edible :razz2:
Gummies would be great! I would easily/discretely add them to the rest of the Haribo.:smug:

It's time for a good bonghit

If this is not the right place to open this, I hope that a moderator to move it to the right place.

I have been toying with the idea of trying some edibles. :weed:
Being a novice in this field, I thought that a good start would be to make some edibles with AVB instead?

[By the way, do you guys really keep your AVB and use it? Is it really worth it? ]

Admittedly, I do not have an oven over here. I just have a small electric oven toaster...something similar to this one:

Amazon product ASIN B07WGZGPHM
It might not be a good idea to use it for Decarboxylation.

According to this website, the best conditoins would be at around 240 Fahrenheit for around 40 min for Decarboxylation to take place.

https://emilykylenutrition.com/cannabis-decarboxylation/

This is just my first try and I was wondering whether:

• a. I should use AVB for my first edible
  • b. I can use the Volcano Hybrid to decarboxilate :weed:? Would it work?

Besides, I wonder if someone could recommend a very edible :razz2:
Gummies would be great! I would easily/discretely add them to the rest of the Haribo.:smug:

It's time for a good bonghit

So, I can’t recommend dispensary edibles, simply because at least in my state the quantity and strength limits are…useless. I’m a daily medical user (convulsions and seizures, plus helps with pain), and the dispensary gummies and chocolates are expensive and weak. This is what I’ve found in terms of your other questions:

1) ABV makes excellent edibles, and that has been my go-to (along with decarbing any flower that’s been in my collection longer than a year) for years now. My process is very simple: collect ABV til I have around a pint mason jar full; melt solid coconut oil and pour it into a larger mason jar with the ABV and clean water (roughly a 1:1:1 by volume); simmer it in a pot full of water on a hot plate for one hour; strain the solids out while hot; let it cool in fridge until oil solidifies; separate and discard the water; remelt the oil; and use a large food syringe to put it in silicone molds (individual 7.5mL servings) I store in the freezer.

2) I decarb unvaped flower almost the same way: put it in a mason jar (with no liquid), screw the lid down, put it in a pot of water on a hot plate, weigh it down, and simmer it for two hours. Then I crumble it and mix it in with the AVB for turning into oil-based edibles.

NB: I use sunflower lecithin to stabilize the oil edibles (also supposed to help with absorption). I used to measure and calculate and aim to make the edibles as close to 1:1:1 THC:CBD:CBG as I could, but eventually I just gave up and estimate it. If a batch is stronger or weaker than I want, I adjust the amount I take.

The only time a (recreational) friend asked for a sample…he said he didn’t want that anymore and went back to dispensary edibles. Said it made him high all fucking day on a Saturday and not his kind of idea of fun. Incidentally, not my idea of fun either (they don’t make me high), but they do help with seizures.

tl;dr—yes, ABV can make super strong edibles; you can decarb flower by double boiling it in a sealed mason jar for two hours; making edibles at home is (orders of magnitude) cheaper and more effective than buying, and it also doesn’t stink the house up.

I actually like my ABV and decarbed flower edibles a LOT better than dispensary purchased: they’re strong and super cheap (use up unutilized actives in vaped cannabis). Also, decarbing weed by the boil in a mason jar technique has a couple of advantages: I can do it on the back porch on a hot plate; and my partner won’t divorce me for stinking up the whole house by decarbing an oz of flower in the oven.

Don’t let anybody tell you that ABV isnt strong enough for edibles. As long as it still has brown and lighter flecks. No black ABV. Very simple to sprinkle on top of something like peanut butter. Make something simple like a milkshake and sprinkle a couple teaspoons. Wait for at least 2 hours before using more. :smilie-devil:

A lot has to do with what’s in your stomach and how much fat you consumed. You can add to spaghetti sauce or sprinkle over a burger.

ABV has a tendency to be very sedative. Good for sleep.

It’s very expensive in my state to buy edibles. If you are a regular cannabis user you will need to take more to get the effects. ABV is a very good cost effective way of making edibles. To buy cannabis and decarb in the oven you are risking cooking too long or the right temperature and having a useless product in the end. When you make butter or oil often you need more than just an ounce. At $200 an ounce and you need two or 3 ounces, that’s expensive.

For me with edibles, either I take too much or not enough. Taking too much is worse and can take a long time to come down from.. You could be white knuckling it for 12+ hours.:idon'tknow:

Last edited:
thanks to both of you for your very informative and helpful answers. :cheers:

So, I can’t recommend dispensary edibles, simply because at least in my state the quantity and strength limits are…useless. I’m a daily medical user (convulsions and seizures, plus helps with pain), and the dispensary gummies and chocolates are expensive and weak. This is what I’ve found in terms of your other questions:

1) ABV makes excellent edibles, and that has been my go-to (along with decarbing any flower that’s been in my collection longer than a year) for years now. My process is very simple: collect ABV til I have around a pint mason jar full; melt solid coconut oil and pour it into a larger mason jar with the ABV and clean water (roughly a 1:1:1 by volume); simmer it in a pot full of water on a hot plate for one hour; strain the solids out while hot; let it cool in fridge until oil solidifies; separate and discard the water; remelt the oil; and use a large food syringe to put it in silicone molds (individual 7.5mL servings) I store in the freezer.

2) I decarb unvaped flower almost the same way: put it in a mason jar (with no liquid), screw the lid down, put it in a pot of water on a hot plate, weigh it down, and simmer it for two hours. Then I crumble it and mix it in with the AVB for turning into oil-based edibles.

NB: I use sunflower lecithin to stabilize the oil edibles (also supposed to help with absorption). I used to measure and calculate and aim to make the edibles as close to 1:1:1 THC:CBD:CBG as I could, but eventually I just gave up and estimate it. If a batch is stronger or weaker than I want, I adjust the amount I take.

The only time a (recreational) friend asked for a sample…he said he didn’t want that anymore and went back to dispensary edibles. Said it made him high all fucking day on a Saturday and not his kind of idea of fun. Incidentally, not my idea of fun either (they don’t make me high), but they do help with seizures.

tl;dr—yes, ABV can make super strong edibles; you can decarb flower by double boiling it in a sealed mason jar for two hours; making edibles at home is (orders of magnitude) cheaper and more effective than buying, and it also doesn’t stink the house up.

I actually like my ABV and decarbed flower edibles a LOT better than dispensary purchased: they’re strong and super cheap (use up unutilized actives in vaped cannabis). Also, decarbing weed by the boil in a mason jar technique has a couple of advantages: I can do it on the back porch on a hot plate; and my partner won’t divorce me for stinking up the whole house by decarbing an oz of flower in the oven.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

Don’t let anybody tell you that ABV isnt strong enough for edibles. As long as it still has brown and lighter flecks. No black ABV. Very simple to sprinkle on top of something like peanut butter. Make something simple like a milkshake and sprinkle a couple teaspoons. Wait for at least 2 hours before using more. :smilie-devil:

A lot has to do with what’s in your stomach and how much fat you consumed. You can add to spaghetti sauce or sprinkle over a burger.

in this way there is nothing to prepare or do. Simply sprinkle some AVB (brown) on anything and that's it?
It sounds very easy to try out.
But how much AVB one would need to sprinkle in order to get high? And how does it taste if just sprinkled like that?:homer:
ABV has a tendency to be very sedative. Good for sleep.

It’s very expensive in my state to buy edibles. If you are a regular cannabis user you will need to take more to get the effects. ABV is a very good cost effective way of making edibles. To buy cannabis and decarb in the oven you are risking cooking too long or the right temperature and having a useless product in the end. When you make butter or oil often you need more than just an ounce. At $200 an ounce and you need two or 3 ounces, that’s expensive.

For me with edibles, either I take too much or not enough. Taking too much is worse and can take a long time to come down from.. You could be white knuckling it for 12+ hours.:idon'tknow:

So, to make edibles you would need at least X grams of :weed:, which would be a waste of :weed::thinker:?:twocents:
Oh, really? Is AVB really that powerful? :tongue:
I have never kept it.

By the way, considering that big amount of :weed:is needed to make edibles, I take it that my question whether one could use the volcano hybrid set at 240F to decarb :weed:has become superfluous for the chamber of the volcano can hold around one gram of:weed:only:watchout:

How much to use would depend on what you needed. It depends on your tolerance level. It can be trial and error I would start out slow and work my way up. Like try a 1/2 teaspoon per serving in the beginning. Different ABV will be more potent than other ABV depending on what product you were using. It takes a couple hours to feel the effects in some people so wait to eat more.

I can eat several of the candies they sell at the cannabis stores where I live. I won’t feel anything. I have a friend that eats a half of one and it is the right amount for her. It’s very individual. The ABV does have a taste but it doesn’t bother me.

You will have to decide if it’s something that you like or not. I find that chocolate and peanut butter hides the taste pretty well. Try a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Use a blender. Remember the ABV will fall to the bottom of the glass so keep stirring while your drinking. Enjoy!

You can bake something using ABV but don’t go too much higher than 300 - 320 degrees on the oven temp because too high of a temp will kill the THC. If you need a high temp just cook your food longer. I made the best banana bread made with ABV. I just mixed it in with the butter while mixing in all the ingredients.

Have fun experimenting but go slow and don’t overdo. Remember about having some fat content in your food That’s how the body metabolizes (liver) the THC. That’s how I understand it.

Last edited:
How much to use would depend on what you needed. It depends on your tolerance level. It can be trial and error I would start out slow and work my way up. Like try a 1/2 teaspoon per serving in the beginning. Different ABV will be more potent than other ABV depending on what product you were using. It takes a couple hours to feel the effects in some people so wait to eat more.

I can eat several of the candies they sell at the cannabis stores where I live. I won’t feel anything. I have a friend that eats a half of one and it is the right amount for her. It’s very individual. The ABV does have a taste but it doesn’t bother me.

You will have to decide if it’s something that you like or not. I find that chocolate and peanut butter hides the taste pretty well. Try a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Use a blender. Remember the ABV will fall to the bottom of the glass so keep stirring while your drinking. Enjoy!

You can bake something using ABV but don’t go too much higher than 300 - 320 degrees on the oven temp because too high of a temp will kill the THC. If you need a high temp just cook your food longer. I made the best banana bread made with ABV. I just mixed it in with the butter while mixing in all the ingredients.

Have fun experimenting but go slow and don’t overdo. Remember about having some fat content in your food That’s how the body metabolizes (liver) the THC. That’s how I understand it.
Thank you so much for your tips and opinion. I appreciate it.
I still do not know how and when but I will definitely give it a try soon or later.

Thought I would add. Pick a time when you have no responsibilities. Even later in the day so if you use too much you can go to sleep. Not to scare you but be cautious I over did it with a milkshake with ABV, I used too much. I still felt too medicated the next day. Not a fun experience especially early on. :uhoh:The next day I was just too tired to do anything.

I was under the impression that ABV wasn’t that potent. I hadnt studied it enough to know. That’s why I say, go slow.:twocents::weed:

What do you think about this Decarboxylation/Infuser Machine?
Would it be a good low cost machine :twocents:or just a piece of junk?:thinker:

Amazon product ASIN B0BFBWL6G1
It looks interesting. I've seen similar machines for much more money. It might be a case of you get what you pay for here... I don't know.

Personally I feel a lot of these machines are a rip off. I have a Magical Butter machine and it works okay.... but no better than the old crock pot method. And their decarb box was junk. Many love to use a sous vide machine for their decarb and infusion. Have you considered that?

Here's a good recipe to follow when starting to use AVB. It's simple, quick and you don't need to decarb if using AVB. Start out with a gram if your not use to edibles.

As for the machines I agree with MOM. The crockpot method is one of the best methods and consistently good . I believe @Vitolo has a recipe somewhere on this forum that is excellent. I've used the MBM and the fart box ( decarb box smells like farts ) while it's ok and does the "job" I find it messy, hard to filter ( it chops your weed too fine) and lower yields. I was gifted a Sous Vide by my daughter and I love it . You can decarb and infuse all in the same canning jars or if using AVB it's real simple to add everything together and cook for 4 -6 hours depending on what your needs are. I normally do 187 for 2 hours for the decarb and then switch it to 185 for 4 hours to infuse. Again if using AVB you only need to do the 4 hours. Is it worth saving your AVB ? In IMHO hell yeah . I've done research on what's in AVB and is it worth saving ? Here's a little something to ponder . There's still a substantial amount of cannabinoids to get you high from AVB according to this article, and all one has to do is google AVB edibles .

https://volcanotips.com/featured/just-efficiently-volcano-vaporize-weed/

HIGH MOM :wink: .

It looks interesting. I've seen similar machines for much more money. It might be a case of you get what you pay for here... I don't know.

Personally I feel a lot of these machines are a rip off. I have a Magical Butter machine and it works okay.... but no better than the old crock pot method. And their decarb box was junk. Many love to use a sous vide machine for their decarb and infusion. Have you considered that?

Thank you for your opinion. I did not know what a vide machine was.
The thing is that - believe it or not- I have no real oven here in JA at the moment. As I said:

I thought that this decarboxilation/infuser maching would be a great solution to decarb and make butter at the same time but I hear now from you and from @bulllee that such machine might be not a good choice.

Here's a good recipe to follow when starting to use AVB. It's simple, quick and you don't need to decarb if using AVB. Start out with a gram if your not use to edibles.
Thank you very much!
I tried to make a tea with some AVB a couple of days ago.
I took around 1,5 spoon of AVB and let it cook a bit with some milk
Then I added it to a cup of chai tee.. I did not feel anything at all.

As for the machines I agree with MOM. The crockpot method is one of the best methods and consistently good . I believe @Vitolo has a recipe somewhere on this forum that is excellent. I've used the MBM and the fart box ( decarb box smells like farts ) while it's ok and does the "job" I find it messy, hard to filter ( it chops your weed too fine) and lower yields. I was gifted a Sous Vide by my daughter and I love it . You can decarb and infuse all in the same canning jars or if using AVB it's real simple to add everything together and cook for 4 -6 hours depending on what your needs are. I normally do 187 for 2 hours for the decarb and then switch it to 185 for 4 hours to infuse. Again if using AVB you only need to do the 4 hours. Is it worth saving your AVB ? In IMHO hell yeah . I've done research on what's in AVB and is it worth saving ? Here's a little something to ponder .

I do not have a crockpot either!
That is why I am looking for a good and:twocents: solution to decarb my :weed:

I would love to have some tincture that I could use then for example to make gummies or to discretely adjust :biggrin: my coffee etc.

There's still a substantial amount of cannabinoids to get you high from AVB according to this article, and all one has to do is google AVB edibles .

I was not able to feel anything from my AVB -tea :uhh:

Last edited:
Curious if you had much fat included, you used whole milk? Even some added cream for the fat content or whipping cream. Try using more of the ABV. You start low dose and work your way up. More experiments needed. :weed::twocents:

Last edited:
Curious if you had much fat included, you used whole milk? Even some added cream for the fat content or whipping cream. Try using more of the ABV. You start low dose and work your way up. More experiments needed. :weed::twocents:
I think there was enough fat included but I then strained the whole before mixing it with chai tea.

Thanks @momofthegoons and @bulllee for drawing my attentionn to the crockpot method.
I have just watched this video and according to them the crocopot method is not very efficient. Well, of course, like in any topic, there are different opinions.
But interesting for me at the moment is the fact that I could try to decarb :weed: using simply the "stove method"

Is it worth saving your AVB ? In IMHO hell yeah . I've done research on what's in AVB and is it worth saving ? Here's a little something to ponder . There's still a substantial amount of cannabinoids to get you high from AVB according to this article, and all one has to do is google AVB edibles .

I have just read that scientific testing and I am completely :yikes:stunned!
Even after 6 bags with stirring in the middle, the extracted sample, thus the AVB, still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample before vaped??
It can't be true, is it?:thinker:

The question is whether this is due to the performance of the Volcano itself or whether it is always the case - when vaped at a max temperature of 190°c (374°f)
I actually let the volcano extract 5 bags at the temperatures of 155°c, 175°c, 195°c, 210°c, 230°c
I don't actually know if I could extract it better with a different method but at least I am going up to the max temperature which should mean a relatively "full" extraction.
Anyway if that is the amount of the THC left in the AVB, it is definitely worth using the AVB, isn't it?

Thank you very much!
I tried to make a tea with some AVB a couple of days ago.
I took around 1,5 spoon of AVB and let it cook a bit with some milk
Then I added it to a cup of chai tee.. I did not feel anything at all.
You need to simmer your AVB in the milk first as THC is soluble in fats, not water. The higher the fat content the better. I use a MCT oil for my tinctures, as I don't do alcohol . I make a lot of edibles and I believe if you stick with the crockpot method, or Sous Vide method ,you'll have success . I use all my AVB as I find it great for pain relief. Check online for more ABV tips. Here's some excellent information, https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/...-tetrahidrocannabinol, Δ,Point: 157ºC (314ºF).

Anyway if that is the amount of the THC left in the AVB, it is definitely worth using the AVB, isn't it?
Don't forget there are other cannabinoids left over after vaping besides the THC.

While I haven't had great success using abv only, I do throw some in with 'fresh' weed when making my butter and salves and find that it gives a boost to the end product.

If you really want to check out the potency of your abv, my advice would be to try a firecracker first. The peanut butter has a perfect fat ratio for the abv to be effective.

And let me just add that @bulllee has been my 'go to' guy for edible advice. He's never steered me wrong.

You need to simmer your AVB in the milk first as THC is soluble in fats, not water. The higher the fat content the better. I use a MCT oil for my tinctures, as I don't do alcohol . I make a lot of edibles and I believe if you stick with the crockpot method, or Sous Vide method ,you'll have success . I use all my AVB as I find it great for pain relief. Check online for more ABV tips.
This is exactly what I did. I let it simmer with milk for a while (maybe around 20- 30 minutes)
Thank you. It looks like an interesting, informative website. I will read read though the site and learn more :science:

Don't forget there are other cannabinoids left over after vaping besides the THC.
Yes, of course! Such a wonderful plant our beloved :weed:!

But the impressive thing is that according that scientific testing - apart from other cannabinoids - there was a left over of 48% of THC.
I'll quote:

"Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample"

While I haven't had great success using abv only, I do throw some in with 'fresh' weed when making my butter and salves and find that it gives a boost to the end product.
I also want to make my own butter:mad::disgust:...And I want to make gummies:biggrin:
If you really want to check out the potency of your abv, my advice would be to try a firecracker first. The peanut butter has a perfect fat ratio for the abv to be effective.
But eating AVB ....Will I be able to?:thinker:...How will it tatse??!
That is why I'd prefer to make butter, oil, tincture or the like, which I could even put in my coffee in the morning :biggrin:
And let me just add that @bulllee has been my 'go to' guy for edible advice. He's never steered me wrong.

Oh, @bulllee is an expert in edibles! Good to know and much to learn from him/her:buzz:

This is exactly what I did. I let it simmer with milk for a while (maybe around 20- 30 minutes)

Thank you. It looks like an interesting, informative website. I will read read though the site and learn more :science:

Yes, of course! Such a wonderful plant our beloved :weed:!

But the impressive thing is that according that scientific testing - apart from other cannabinoids - there was a left over of 48% of THC.
I'll quote:

"Bottom line, our most efficiently extracted sample still contained 48% of the THC available in the sample"

I also want to make my own butter:mad::disgust:...And I want to make gummies:biggrin:

But eating AVB ....Will I be able to?:thinker:...How will it tatse??!
That is why I'd prefer to make butter, oil, tincture or the like, which I could even put in my coffee in the morning :biggrin:

Oh, @bulllee is an expert in edibles! Good to know and much to learn from him/her:buzz:
I really enjoyed this lady's web site. her information is up to date and very helpful without all the hyperbole :wink: .She has great recipes, and DIY articles on making butter, tinctures, cooking with AVB . I like her vibe :thumbsup:.

I really enjoyed this lady's web site. her information is up to date and very helpful without all the hyperbole :wink: .She has great recipes, and DIY articles on making butter, tinctures, cooking with AVB . I like her vibe :thumbsup:.

According to her explanation about the boiling point of the different compounds that we inhale when vaporizing, the following are the toxic substances with their corresponding boiling points:

dai.JPG

Apart from Toluene, which it seems that we cannot avoid inhaling it because its boiling point is very low (100.6°c,), it seems that we'd better stay under 200°c, if we want to avoid inhaling Benzene which is a Carcinogenic substance.

I have always extracted the last bag with the volcano at a temperature of 230 °c but according to the values above, 230 °c means reaching the point of combustion, which of course they are also carginogenic substances.

And yet the AVB of the Volcano after the last bag at 230°c, never looks too dark, actually impressively very light brown.

Are we all here inhaling those toxic substances because none of us stays under the temperature of 200°c? bonghit

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back