Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Cover The Beats

Mostly covers/standards and a few originals;

Possibly my all-time fav jazz pianist/studio album... amazing to think this was out of print for so long, too (Octave). Upon meeting Bob Cranshaw (bassist) at a Milt Jackson show in the early 90s at the DeCordova Sculpture Park in Lincoln, MA, and told we were spinning 'Magician' constantly on vinyl since finding a mint condition one at a yard sale recently, he look at us both with big smile and a wink and said, "You are among the Chosen few" and then proceeded to offer my buddy bass lessons (he was going to Berkelee for bass at the time) if he wanted to drive/move to NYC...haha!

From the label:

"The selections Garner committed to tape in the fall of 1973 include what may be some of his best original compositions, alongside a series of timeless contemporary takes on American Songbook classics. Though It would turn out to be the final studio album of his life, it makes clear that Garner was continuing to innovate on his distinctly individualistic style, and surely would have for decades to come."

I cannot recommend this enough, enjoy!:

Erroll Garner - Magician 1973 (2020 remastering)

0:10 (They Long to Be) Close to You
4:45 It Gets Better Every Time
9:10 Someone to Watch Over Me
13:30 Nightwind
19:08 One Good Turn
22:25 Watch What Happens
25:28 Yesterdays
29:21 I Only Have Eyes for You
34:28 Mucho Gusto
38:08 Grill on the Hill

ERROLL GARNER, piano
BOB CRANSHAW, electric bass
GRADY TATE, drums
JOSE MANGUAL, congas
NORMAN GOLD, organ
JACKIE WILLIAMS, tambourine

(Yes, many of my posts may be similar or copies of mine posted elsewhere, but this is what's currently in rotation, and it makes it easy for me to access if it lives here, as well. Don't worry there won't be too many dupes going forward. Same goes for memes etc cuz they're hosted elsewhere, so why waste em if some peeps here, that may not have seen yet, can also... dig? Thanks!)

Conflicting writing credit info on YouPube, wiki says it's Blind Boy Fuller:

Studio:

Hot Tuna - 'Burgers' - Keep On Truckin' (1972)

Live:

Hot Tuna - Keep On Truckin' - 46th Street Rock Palace (3/22/1973)

Jaco Pastorius - Dear Prudence (live NYC '85?)

w/ Hiram Bullock and Kenwood Dennard

Jaco Pastorius - Blackbird (Remastered)

Last edited:
Everything's Gonna Be Alright
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Woodstock, NY 1969

Born Under A Bad Sign
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Live from A&R Studios, NY 1970

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back