Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction Dabpress Rosin Plates

I'm just trying to open your mind to other variables, but if you feel the bags are the only possible culprit then perhaps we should send you replacements?
I am happy for the feedback and as I said I will take note of your suggestions next round including a 9g puck
I was just saying that the amount loaded was the same as all my successful presses at 10g so not sure why it has changed

I'm having the conversation with you and so far all I've come up with is maybe stems or bags?

I'm not adamant it is the bags, but am struggling to find a reason, stem maybe

I've done more than 3 successful presses
But I've had 3 in a row burst

I am happy for the feedback and as I said I will take note of your suggestions next round including a 9g puck
I was just saying that the amount loaded was the same as all my successful presses at 10g so not sure why it has changed

I'm having the conversation with you and so far all I've come up with is maybe stems or bags?

I'm not adamant it is the bags, but am struggling to find a reason, stem maybe

I've done more than 3 successful presses
But I've had 3 in a row burst

What were the buds like?

I'm wondering if two bags have 10 grams but their volume is different, if that could be a factor?

The volume would be different if the density varied. That's why I'm asking if the buds we're different from your other batches.

What were the buds like?

I'm wondering if two bags have 10 grams but their volume is different, if that could be a factor?

The volume would be different if the density varied. That's why I'm asking if the buds we're different from your other batches.
Nope
I mentioned above they are the same where psyco and Les asked
If anything they have been a bit thinner pucks as I tried putting more pressure on the prepress

Thought these might be good for Dabpress to stock (I don't think I could use the full 1000);

1567393503984.png

Thought these might be good for Dabpress to stock (I don't think I could use the full 1000);

View attachment 12718
Non stick glass sounds good

I might ask them to send me some samples...20 should do for quality control!
But great value at only US$ 0.35c each for... @ddave to be able to sell at a reasonable price (as he does) and make a little money!

Last edited:
So I got some different bud to try today

I do think it was a bit wet to press but I didn't have time to cure it more ATM

I did two presses
One with 10g using the usual settings plus taking note to give extra length to bag to have plenty of fold over, seam toward front, seam vertical fully, smallest broken buds with no stem at all possible, heat soak for 30 seconds before putting real pressure on and slow pump so not to quick or sudden pressure

And one with 9g using the same settings

The 2g test press gave me around 15% return, being that it isn't really ready to press I thought this was okay

Both the bigger bagged presses I only got about 10% yields
I had to try to resquish each 3 times

They both burst.....
At about 15-1700 you can actually here the bag start to tear and by 2000 it has splurt out the front and I stop the squish

I fold it in half as best I can and squish again until spilling out again

Then I fold as small as possible on itself and squish a third time

The rosin from the first quick press is quality honey and more shattery or toffee consistency
As was the second as it was also quick before I stopped

The third was greener and oilier
It got more time under heat/pressure as I just let it go then

So 5 in a row burst, only not so good thing I did was use weed that was reading into the 70s when I chucked in the jar with a hygrometer instead of 62-69

My yields were poor too as a result I think

Hopefully I should at least get that back with my hash oil runs

Don't know what's going on or what I am doing wrong or different to all the presses I was doing successfully at the start

This is the 10g puck at about 20-40 secs in at about 15-1700 on the gauge
Burst out front back and starting on sides
20190902_182026.jpg

Rosin from above first press (extra virgin rosin)
20190902_182030.jpg

This is the 9g puck after first press at around the same time/pressure as the above
It has burst all around and was pretty much worse for wear than the 10g ones
20190902_185501.jpg

Except for the plant matter the rosin was great from those first presses
Just not the yield

So I dunno?

Is it faulty bags or is there something else I can/should do to try and remedy this issue?

Hard to hit like against your bad run, damn stuff being fickle, what temp was you at this time?

I just did a 10g run at 77c (170f) about 4 minutes all up (the last 40 seconds at 3000psi (gauge) just to see if it would blow, no problems at all, thankfully, here is the puck (folds on the top look similar),
IMG_20190902_180132.jpg

3000psi did not hurt the parchment, I got less yield at the lower temp at 16% but these were 15-month-old buds at the bottom of a jar so only average buds from mid to lower part of the plant. Still looks a bit lighter in colour than the same old stuff done at higher temps, I will soon see how it vapes!
Hopefully, some more experienced rosineer will have another clue for you because I don't know.
Edit, I put about 95kg of pressure on my pre-press puck (I stand on it after the last top-up) to help things, what do you do?

Hard to hit like against your bad run, damn stuff being fickle, what temp was you at this time?

I just did a 10g run at 77c (170f) about 4 minutes all up (the last 40 seconds at 3000psi (gauge) just to see if it would blow, no problems at all, thankfully, here is the puck (folds on the top look similar),
View attachment 12726
3000psi did not hurt the parchment, I got less yield at the lower temp at 16% but these were 15-month-old buds at the bottom of a jar so only average buds from mid to lower part of the plant. Still looks a bit lighter in colour than the same old stuff done at higher temps, I will soon see how it vapes!
Hopefully, some more experienced rosineer will have another clue for you because I don't know.
Edit, I put about 95kg of pressure on my pre-press puck (I stand on it after the last top-up)
I used same settings I usually do

105c

We obviously don't want too much heat, but I've found more heat rather than less but less time under that heat is better

Opposite of roast or bbq
No slow n low here but high (not too high) n quick

I haven't tried higher on the dabpress but I think I may be riding the higher end of where you want to be

I definitely noticed the rosin was good quality from the 30 second press

Lower yields but I didn't get up to pressure either, but it was good rosin and lighter or more see through anyway

Yea I'm running at a loss here
You can see in my top puck the tear in the bag near the big spill
First time I've noticed the actual threads/tear

I broke the buds down like I was about to use scissors and chop up
No stem at all this time

EDIT
I just found a pic of one of my other 10g split presses
I must have took and forgot to post it

Can see the tears in it as well
This one was the same bud and parameters as all my successful presses
20190823_181408.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 12718

Not sure how glass is non stick? That's the big problem with glass, getting it all out.

My experience with screw top glass jars wasn't good. Those threads got gunked up quickly.

@felvapes, despite your guage reading, it almost looks like too much pressure, or over filled bags.

But really, I'm just throwing things out there. Wish I could help more.

No slow n low here but high (not too high) n quick
My 4 minutes is from when I insert the puck into the press, I think you need to heat the material right through to make it more malleable before putting on the squeeze, I pump until pressure shows on the gauge, I only put under full pressure at about 1 min 45 to 2 minute mark then 2500 for a minute or so when it looks like it is stopping extraction (I have to keep pumping slowly to keep the gauge on the required pressure), then 2750 for 30 more seconds (plus an extra 30 seconds at 3000 this time to try to pop)
So I don't press for that long really, it depends on when the timer starts!
I tried the lower temperature just for fun, I think your 105c (221f) is at the higher end and will usually be a darker rosin, even if clear.(your stuff looks pretty blonde though!)
Still does not help your problem though...

So I got some different bud to try today

I do think it was a bit wet to press but I didn't have time to cure it more ATM

I did two presses
One with 10g using the usual settings plus taking note to give extra length to bag to have plenty of fold over, seam toward front, seam vertical fully, smallest broken buds with no stem at all possible, heat soak for 30 seconds before putting real pressure on and slow pump so not to quick or sudden pressure

And one with 9g using the same settings

The 2g test press gave me around 15% return, being that it isn't really ready to press I thought this was okay

Both the bigger bagged presses I only got about 10% yields
I had to try to resquish each 3 times

They both burst.....
At about 15-1700 you can actually here the bag start to tear and by 2000 it has splurt out the front and I stop the squish

I fold it in half as best I can and squish again until spilling out again

Then I fold as small as possible on itself and squish a third time

The rosin from the first quick press is quality honey and more shattery or toffee consistency
As was the second as it was also quick before I stopped

The third was greener and oilier
It got more time under heat/pressure as I just let it go then

So 5 in a row burst, only not so good thing I did was use weed that was reading into the 70s when I chucked in the jar with a hygrometer instead of 62-69

My yields were poor too as a result I think

Hopefully I should at least get that back with my hash oil runs

Don't know what's going on or what I am doing wrong or different to all the presses I was doing successfully at the start

This is the 10g puck at about 20-40 secs in at about 15-1700 on the gauge
Burst out front back and starting on sides
View attachment 12723

Rosin from above first press (extra virgin rosin)
View attachment 12724

This is the 9g puck after first press at around the same time/pressure as the above
It has burst all around and was pretty much worse for wear than the 10g ones
View attachment 12725

Except for the plant matter the rosin was great from those first presses
Just not the yield

So I dunno?

Is it faulty bags or is there something else I can/should do to try and remedy this issue?
I hate that this is happening to you, @felvapes. It has to be frustrating. I hope you find an answer.

Not sure how glass is non stick? That's the big problem with glass, getting it all out.

My experience with screw top glass jars wasn't good. Those threads got gunked up quickly.

@felvapes, despite your guage reading, it almost looks like too much pressure, or over filled bags.

But really, I'm just throwing things out there. Wish I could help more.

No chance of over filled
I even did a 9g and it didn't fit in the plates I had to pump to get it to hold

I doubt it's the gauge as it is happening extremely early into the press - timewise and pressure wise
I know I'm not at high pressure when it pops
You can hear it tear and it's before the plates are fully closed tight
So even if my gauge was out it bursts before any real pressure is loaded
The first puck above you can see the thickness a bit
But none of them are squished hardly at all and still wet
Also as in pics low rosin yield as press stopped so early

Plus, I have had many successful presses until this run of 5 in a row

I have always thought the same about glass
I like the idea of using it but thought I'd be losing lots of dabs in the bottom compared to the silicone
I just read their blurb and it said non stick glass, why I said that sounds good as I'd never actually heard of it

My 4 minutes is from when I insert the puck into the press, I think you need to heat the material right through to make it more malleable before putting on the squeeze, I pump until pressure shows on the gauge, I only put under full pressure at about 1 min 45 to 2 minute mark then 2500 for a minute or so when it looks like it is stopping extraction (I have to keep pumping slowly to keep the gauge on the required pressure), then 2750 for 30 more seconds (plus an extra 30 seconds at 3000 this time to try to pop)
So I don't press for that long really, it depends on when the timer starts!
I tried the lower temperature just for fun, I think your 105c (221f) is at the higher end and will usually be a darker rosin, even if clear.(your stuff looks pretty blonde though!)
Still does not help your problem though...
The heat doesn't give darker rosin as much as the time under heat/pressure ime
Repress will always be darker too as it's getting extra time under there and more waxes fats and chlorophyll gets through

But a quick press gives lighter material
I think it's really a mix of heat/time/pressure combined and the different variables of the 3

But less heat/time does give lighter results - this was the case with hair straightener for me
Just low yields

Last edited:
That's a lot of blowouts @felvapes and definitely not normal. Your entire method sounds fine to me, I wouldn't change anything, except I wouldn't use any more from that pack of filters. Our apologies!
Thank you for the inbox mate and apologies
I'm not sure why I'm having this issue
I would have thought I had the same bags/batch as @LesPlenty

Thank you for the inbox mate and apologies
I'm not sure why I'm having this issue
I would have thought I had the same bags/batch as @LesPlenty

I have no idea my friend, heres to contained pucks going forward! Do you have our 2x4" filters also?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back