Sponsored by
PuffItUp VapeFully Dynavap Vaposhop
  1. Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Did you know that you have two different customized styles/themes to view VaporAsylum in?
    Change your style here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meds Depression

Discussion in 'Why Do You Medicate?' started by Schnitzel777, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Madri-Gal

Madri-Gal Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a terrible time for you. I'm hoping you are doing well, and find comfort in your friends at VA.

2. Disrupt

Disrupt Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, @Madri-Gal. You might have had a different history. Still remember that first sunny mood six weeks in. The first in years.

Enjoying senescence more than expected. So much like adolescence. Prozac hasn't worked very well for the past decade at more than double the initial dose.. Compensate by reducing stress and expectations. Fortunately didn't take on too much, when it was working.

The grad school psychiatrist wanted to prescribe it immediately. It took her four years to convince me. She was a very good psychiatrist, saw her for years afterward. Maybe should have listened to her, might have finished grad school. All these years later, don't know whether sooner, later, or not at all would have been better. Just saying it is one of those truly difficult choices.

Killick, LesPlenty, ataxian and 3 others like this.
  3. Madri-Gal

It's a difficult choice, at a time when all choices are difficult. Madri-Gone was only 36, and missed his children's growing up. They never got to know him as adults. It's tragic, and sad, and I feel for anyone suffering from this terrible disease, and it's terrible cousin, anxiety.
    I've been reading about the fascinating discoveries going on with the gut biome and it's relationship to mood and depression. Interesting stuff.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Killick, LesPlenty, ataxian and 2 others like this.
  4. arb

arb Semi shaved ape

I think depression is perfectly normal given the amount of pain one experiences as one lives.........life is pain no?
    I get depressed and go into a downward spiral of stewing on negatives real or imagined.
    I am getting a bit better at recognizing when I start and trying to train my brain to see the good or to know it will be ok.
    The surest sign I am going into a clinical cycle is my non use of cannabis..........just sitting staring doing nothing is,for me totally fucked.

Killick, LesPlenty, Helios and 3 others like this.
  5. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Oh dear...what a tragic story and I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, after my rather terrifying experience....and now that I counted the years it was 24 years ago....with true clinical depression and the relief that I got from just being on anti's for six months.....I am an advocate. Not for pharma drugs in general, but I do advocate strongly against the stigma and shame of having a mental condition and having to take a drug for it and I advocate that people who really need it should take it. Screw what anybody else thinks.

Otherwise, we are just wasting our lives and, in truly desperate situations, we may even lose our life.

Thank you for being so open about this....hopefully someone else will see it and help them make the right decisions in their own lives.

LesPlenty, CarolKing, Helios and 4 others like this.
  6. Madri-Gal

I've never understood the stigma and shame aspect. I get that the person suffering thinks negatively of themselves, as that's a clear symptom of depression. I just don't get the negative judgement of other people when a person is suffering, or has suffered. We aren't supposed to talk about depession, anxiety, PTSD, child abuse, domestic abuse, suicide, rape, being swindled, being betrayed, or in any way of having been brutalized, traumatized or otherwise unfairly tapped by fate. But then, many people are mean or we wouldn't have many of these problems in the first place.

Killick, LesPlenty, CarolKing and 5 others like this.
  7. ataxian

ataxian Well-Known Member

U R LOVED so much!
    Don’t worry be Happy !

Killick, LesPlenty, CarolKing and 4 others like this.
  8. Madri-Gal

@ataxian, you are such a sweetheart! I'm so glad you are my friend. downloadfile-4.gif

9. ataxian

I want everyone to know they are loved!

It’s mean and unkind life at times?

Killick, LesPlenty, CarolKing and 4 others like this.
  10. Disrupt

Curious - has anyone tried natural monoamine oxidase inhibitors for depression? Got some caapi extract recently, but haven't used it yet. Using MAOIs while on an SSRI is strongly contraindicated. It can cause a dangerous, even deadly increase in serotonin levels - serotonin syndrome. Still, planning to try a low dose only as needed when serotonin is low and stress is high (very easy to tell, IME - transform into an angry old man). Caapi is clearly effective - it's used traditionally in ayahuasca brews, where it's needed for DMT's psychedelic effects to be felt (only when ingested, not inhaled). Some ayahuascaleros also use caapi alone. In addition to symptomatic relief, it might help with SSRI withdrawal if carefully managed.

11. ataxian

I read and study to get over my depression .
    CANNABIS my way of dealing!

momofthegoons and Madri-Gal like this.
  12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I just found this thread while testing the new Linx vape - which I'm kinda pleased with btw.

With the recent trend of psychedelics being used to treat anxiety and depression has anyone tried microdosing with either/or LSD or mushrooms with success? A neighbor gifted a blotter from a chemist friend. I tried 1/4 of it, didn't seem to notice much, and lost the rest of the blotter. I also bought a mushroom grow kit, and still haven't quite gotten to the set up and grow part. It's an involved process that is likely much simpler than it looks....

Pros and or cons of either?

Helios, momofthegoons and Madri-Gal like this.
  13. Disrupt

Tried a couple of threshold doses of cactus syrup (mescaline). Initially, clear mood elevating and social effects. Coming down, effects were just the opposite - like withdrawing from Prozac. On top of a splitting headache. Guessing low serotonin. Mescaline binds serotonin receptors for 12 - 18 hours. Maybe long enough to cause a dip in endogenous serotonin. Need to work on that part. Caapi should help, if supplements fail.

Started an ethnobotanical thread for off-topic discussion of these plants and fungi.

14. felvapes

felvapes Well-Known Member

Depression and being depressed are different things

Ppl have bouts of being depressed

Depression is with you for life and you learn to live with and manage it

Having anxiety and depression together is another beast all together

Not everyone can use weed for anxiety as it sets some off on the paranoia

For me it helps depression and anxiety

Chuck in pain from a dead muscle in my back and PTSD and I'm rocking....

Weed helps with all these ailments
    It helps with social anxiety

Everyone is different though

I find gym helps the dead muscle - for years I could do buggar all from the pain but as stated above by focussing on it and strengthening body around it helps with the pain

I also find that doctor depression drugs are fucked long term
    The spikes etc are way worse

I tried them for some time with doctors and long term I am better without, weed helps me be more stable

I think for the most part I don't like the idea of doctors drugs for depression
    However I do know that some people need them and go off the rails without them

If it works well for the individual then they are useful
    I know some people who need their meds and feel they benefit from them
    Generally I think there are other methods to learn to manage it though

For me they worked at first but long term it's no fix or help for me

I don't tell people my story often and only share bits and pieces here as I go but weed and in particular vaping over combustion really has been something that makes life more bearable

Good thread to find

Hope people are coping well :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 3:01 AM
    Killick, Shredder, Helios and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice