Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape Enail Kits and Bits

@herbivore21 i wish i had read your post earlier. it's true, i can confirm with an IR thermometer, despite being rather thick my quartz fucker cools down rather quickly. seconds are critical! but when i hit under 680, it's tasty and works very well. but i have wasted a lot.

I think I really want the $86 one with the quartz banger. Could even make a convection vape using the coil for heating the element, like an elev8r
Are these chinese units serviceable?

Last edited:
Are these chinese units serviceable?
I have heard that they catch on fire a bit, NewVape and Herborizer use Chinese PID controllers so who knows about quality. I know you can change different parameters with the menu button if that is what you are asking because a service to me involves oil and a filter, pretty sure this PID needs either.:thumbsup:

can i open them and solder shit, or are they built very annoyingly? SMD or through hole stuff? do they sell replacement boards?
could it possibly be cheaper and even safer to build my own PID controller using something like a microcontroller and a FET, relay, or power supply thing, buying the coil XLR wire thing separately? seems like it may be a lot of work though

Last edited:
can i open them and solder shit, or are they built very annoyingly? SMD or through hole stuff? do they sell replacement boards?
could it possibly be cheaper and even safer to build my own PID controller using something like a microcontroller and a FET, relay, or power supply thing, buying the coil XLR wire thing separately? seems like it may be a lot of work though

I have never heard of one of these PID controllers catching fire....but perhaps.

If you want to buy DHGate, then look for a controller with an Omron E5CC PID controller subassembly. Why...because they are rock solid and pretty much all of the functionality is in the PID subassembly. I don't see a lot of them on DHGate anymore...seems like the trend is for the lower profile box (which will not host the Omron..its too high for a lot of these boxes) without a lot of regard for performance.

Alternatively, if you want to build your own, then buy an Omron E5CC assembly (but you want the QX version as this is the one that is intended to drive an external solid state relay which is definitely what you want) like this:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/e5cc...igital/396253372.html#s1-19-1;onsh|3647293476

Aside from an easily sourced enclosure, you will need an SSR, power plug, power switch (or two if you want to separately power the box and the coil), and a full size XLR female connector. Omron has excellent documentation available on line (google it and its there) that can direct a person who is at all handy with electronics assembly.

But why? My advise is to just buy an Auber RDK-300 with coil and nail of your choice and never look back. Controller parts are sourced in China but the company is an industrial instruments company in Georgia and they actually answer the phone and have real tech support.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=484

if it was $100 for the unit + the 20mm coil, then maybe. But for $145 i'm still tempted to cheap out. The dhgate quartz kit says the coil has an ID of 19.8mm, while the auber says 20mm. Does this make a difference?

I am almost set to purchase an Auber PID (RDK-300A) controller and flat 28mm coil, do I need a special nail for the sic Halo dish or will it fit on the Auber nail below?

I looked into getting the full kit from them last Black Friday sale, until they said US$108 postage! Plus there is an ongoing? thing with him using weird plugs so you have to buy his controller which looks a lot like your DHGate thread model.

https://www.newvape.com/vrod-starter-kit

I was close to hitting the auber flat nail setup we have spoken about

How do ppl think this will go
Have heard good things....how much more than this piece would I need?

My quartz banger arrived and damn it is lovely with ice bubble hash fresh dried....floating nicely...

practicing with temps and using IR gun....but so far heat a good time and hit it

Yes the cool down is quick....the thick banger helps a bit

Quartz banger new with ice hash reminants

20180905_235348.jpg

20180905_235254.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked into getting the full kit from them last Black Friday sale, until they said US$108 postage! Plus there is an ongoing? thing with him using weird plugs so you have to buy his controller which looks a lot like your DHGate thread model.
The flowerpot uses a dhgate looking unit?

hmmm

Heard flowerpot okay and thought this looked okay price

with the shipping as you say yer maybe just stick with the auber and flat nail setup above we discussed and was suggested

Just realised I half confused threads too.....
high af and first time back in couple days
so many notifications to catch up on

Sorry mom

if it was $100 for the unit + the 20mm coil, then maybe. But for $145 i'm still tempted to cheap out. The dhgate quartz kit says the coil has an ID of 19.8mm, while the auber says 20mm. Does this make a difference?

Ok, so...we each have our financial resources and personal priorities about what we spend our money on....so I will not say anything about people's vape budgets. That's a personal thing and not open to comment, IMO.

HOWEVER, if it was me....I would buy:
1. Quartz banger and barrel coil from 710coils.com . The fellow who owns this store is VERY well known and respected on the vape boards and has sourced Chinese quartz bangers of unusually high quality and in competition to much more expensive bangers like Eternal and Toro. Personally, I like the 25mm opaque bottom banger. Buy a coil from him and it will be as high a quality as any out there and Shane will fit the coil to the banger for you before shipping.

2. Spend an additional $5 on the Coil Clip set. These take the strain of the coil weight off of the banger and is an excellent solution for a common problem leading to broken banger necks.

3. Get an Auber controller. If looking to save a bit, get the RDK-200 for $65. The added bells and whistles of the -300 are not really needed.

4. Find a bubble carb cap....tons of them out there to include DHGate. Works great with quartz bangers.

As to your question on coil diameter...IMO all coils need to be fitted to their nail. If running a Ti nail of some sort, you want to adjust your coils (thing flat blade screw driver and a pair of pliers) so that the coils extend top/bottom on the nail and the coils are pretty tight on the nail. With quartz, you need to be careful as if the coil is too tight, its quite possible to break your banger from unequal expansion with heat of the quartz and the metal coil.

That's my :twocents: :cool:

I ordered a 30mm opaque bottom banger, an axial coil and some terp pearls from 710Coils last night.
Looking forward to seeing how it performs with a little rosin :)

@Baron23 thanks dude, I may just follow your advice to the pinch.

Forgot to mention, if you do buy banger/coil from 710coils, he will gladly fit the coil to the banger but you need to ask him to do so (add to note field in order or use contact form...he's small operation and gladly fits coils if asked).

The flowerpot uses a dhgate looking unit?

No, it doesn't just look like a DHGate unit...in fact, NV sells a white labeled DHGate controller that is also sold on DHGate by Vapecode.

It has a screw on aviation type connector and somewhat unique pin outs compared to most other controllers and coils that use a full size XLR connector and "d-nail" type pin outs.

NV does now make the Vrod to accept coils with the more normal direction of coil turns rather than the NV coils (can't remember, but one goes clockwise from the cable and the other counter clockwise and the Vrod has a channel in the top of the coil area for the TC at the end of the coil to fit in...so, you need a coil with the correct direction of turn for the Vrod you buy....or vice versa).

Also, the NV/Vapecode coils are about 17mm top to bottom vice more usual 12mm or so.

710coils.com is supposed to be stocking coils that will have an XLR and common pin outs but will fit a Vrod. Not sure if he has them in stock quite yet, but definitely worth checking out.

All of this is why I'm very happy with my Showerhead version (I only use it for flower, after all...I use various straight enails/bangers for concentrates) and I don't worry about coil direction, connector, or height issues.

@felvapes yessir 710Coils now have the correct coil dimensions for the original V-rod, with the industry standard D-nail pin-out. So it will work on most any controller but high5 and NV’s. I’m going this route and getting the Auber-300, so many folks I trust have them (like the guy above) and love them. Another thing is that Auber are 110-240v so it’s worldwide, which is nice for a dude like me for instance.

LOL, Freakin’ @Baron23 came in and stole my thunder whilst I was being wordy! That’ll learn me!

1. Quartz banger and barrel coil from 710coils.com . The fellow who owns this store is VERY well known and respected on the vape boards and has sourced Chinese quartz bangers of unusually high quality and in competition to much more expensive bangers like Eternal and Toro. Personally, I like the 25mm opaque bottom banger. Buy a coil from him and it will be as high a quality as any out there and Shane will fit the coil to the banger for you before shipping.
This is a mostly great option on a budget, and I 100% agree that 710coils is a trusted retailer and all-round good guy. However, the new axial coils from 710coils are the clear winner here, a barrel coil is not a good idea as it will lead to comparably less taste and more waste :peace:

This is a mostly great option on a budget, and I 100% agree that 710coils is a trusted retailer and all-round good guy. However, the new axial coils from 710coils are the clear winner here, a barrel coil is not a good idea as it will lead to comparably less taste and more waste :peace:
That is not the uniform opinion of all who have used an axial coil w their banger.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back