Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Grow Germination of ancient bagseed - an experimental thread

Batch #1: gone cloudy and moldy, nothing else to report
Batch #2: same

‘Sokay, it’s been a whole set of lessons (many of them refreshers) - not starting when you’re not ready, remembering what ‘not being ready’ looks like, bad time estimation, poor scheduling, play it through to see what you’re missing....

Things I have accomplished toward this end include a bin large enough to hydrate the coco, worm food, worm bedding; I’ll be headed to the worm shack here in a few minutes (the sun’s still up, I’ll ask nicely), and start another 10.

UPDATE: I now have a pint of red wigglers and castings. Dark has closed in, but I’m about to start Batch #3.

Last edited:
Okay!

Batch #3: ten seeds all got a short bath in dilute H2O2 (5ml to 10ml h2O).
After an hour or two, 5 were scooped out and placed into 15ml distilled water w/ 2 drops of Liquid Karma, and the remainder...remained.

Tomorrow they will all be planted in worm castings.

I have measured out the amendments, the coco is hydrating, the worms are doing the worm thing in the worm bucket.

Look, I got it all back on track....

Okay!

Batch #3: ten seeds all got a short bath in dilute H2O2 (5ml to 10ml h2O).
After an hour or two, 5 were scooped out and placed into 15ml distilled water w/ 2 drops of Liquid Karma, and the remainder...remained.

Tomorrow they will all be planted in worm castings.

I have measured out the amendments, the coco is hydrating, the worms are doing the worm thing in the worm bucket.

Look, I got it all back on track....
I can't wait for the results! I'm so glad you took the time to collect all of those seeds over the years. That took amazing foresight and diligence, and it's turned into this great thread.

The bags these seeds came from all came my way during my third lifetime, when I learned so very much about very important things, and I shared those bags with the best friends I’ve ever had. We all learned a very great deal from each other, built lives around each other. “I, alone, am left to tell the tale...”. Among other things, there was a lot of talk about the weed we were going to grow, one of these days; only two of us tried, but that’s another lifetime.

I get great satisfaction from having them, from summoning them forth into existence.
Looking for the strains I’d want to take to the summer land with me....

Last edited:
Back again w/ batch #3:

All seeds planted in a 50/50 mix of the castings and well-rinsed coco & watered with a couple ml of LK (1:125oz)
The two soaks have different color cups. They will be resting under lights.

Now the wait begins
Put them in the sunlight..........that warm up from solar radiation combined with moisture is what works best.
All the additives,coco and castings have zero to do with germinating a seed.
:biggrin:

Put them in the sunlight..........that warm up from solar radiation combined with moisture is what works best.
All the additives,coco and castings have zero to do with germinating a seed.
:biggrin:
I’m racking my brain for a place to put them out in the light...for one thing, it’s well into the 80s in direct sun, and the kids are very observant, and the HOA are assholes about anything that shows people live here, so ... I’m figuring...and I will figure something out.

The coco is just a medium, it’s there to fluff out the castings for ten cups...I don’t doubt what you’re telling me, but this is a set of experiments with real old seed. Were I working with seeds even 20 years younger, I likely wouldn’t mess with any of that, it will either prove itself useful or useless and I don’t care which. I appreciate your advice and commentary, and I listen to it. I don’t forget it.

I was running back through what few notes I have, and dredging up recollections...and I think it’s possible that these seeds are older than the others, and if they are, they were re-stored sometime in the 80s, when I started paying more attention...but they could be closer to 45-50 years old in that case, and not ‘stored’ so much as just ‘kept’....

I may be comparing apples to acorns...

UPDATE: the reasons for the peroxide pre treatment: scientific evidence that peroxide activates signaling pathways in dormant seeds; the prevalence of the practice; the molding of my first-round soak solutions. Taken together I chose to do a short soak to clear off any bad riders; left 5 in it to serve as a control.

It turns out these cups are in colors...next time, I’ll be smart enough to sort the colors, and code the seeds thereby

Last edited:
With the amount of detail and attention you are putting in @ClearBlueLou, you'd make an excellent gardener. I'm too lazy to even use the paper towel method ! I'm like Seed -> Dirt ->Done. Then I just wait and wonder "what's wrong with these seeds?" Then if they don't make it, I just think "They must have been males and not fit to live" , and feel all kinds if relief that I don't have to cull them later. This I do even with feminized seeds. You help me see there might be a better way. Why is the better way always more work? Why, why, why? :weed::weed::weed::weed:

It’s not really work, it’s attention...in its own way, it’s no different than the part of your mind that’s always listening to and evaluating the noises children make...you know, when they’re too quiet for too long, it’s time to go see what they’re up to. It doesn’t bother me, doesn’t interfere with doing other things.

At the same time, I am sure I’ll be one of those folks who spends a lot of time with their plants - I’d never have saved the last round of tomatoes if I’d never looked for hornworms.... I like to keep up with things: makes my down time more satisfying knowing that I’ve seen to things that need seeing to

Last edited:
It’s not really work, it’s attention...in its own way, it’s no different than the part of your mind that’s always listening to and evaluating the noises children make...you know, when they’re too quiet for too long, it’s time to go see what they’re up to. It doesn’t bother me, doesn’t interfere with doing other things.

At the same time, I am sure I’ll be one of those folks who spends a lot of time with their plants - I’d never have saved the last round of tomatoes if I’d never looked for hornworms.... I like to keep up with things: makes my down time more satisfying knowing that I’ve seen to things that need seeing to
Now that you mention it, my plants have been pretty quiet. Too quiet. I never thought about what they might be up to...

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back