Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Meds Hash

I had a Moroccan sebsi with a clay skuff and kept it intact for over a decade. LOVED that pipe.....might need to get another. :headbang:
Now that I'd love to see and use! I've never used any traditional pipes from producing countries save for the hubbly bubbly lol

Oh man, this is my kind of thread!
Welcome aboard old friend, this thread really needed some Norvape presence! It is so nice to see all of my fellow hash aficionados in one place!

Just to chime in on the kief/keef/kif confusion.

Traditionally the word kif in Morocco refers to a mixture of small buds, popcorn buds etc and a dark, black-ish tobacco that they also grow, but in the rest of the world it means unpressed hash, and even pressed hash. Where I'm at, the word keef meant pressed hash untill expousure to U.S. cannabis culture made the word change meaning, and now it refers to unpressed hash.

Maybe the same is happening in Morocco?
This is also possible my friend. In my profession, I have certainly come across examples of very similar cross-cultural phenomena. These concepts are not set in stone of course, the use of language changes across time and place.

Anybody noticed the increase of sativa hashes on the European market in the last year or two? Used to be, as @Hogni described earlier, that the herb almost exclusively meant a sativa rush, and the hashish meant a body high... not anymore!
This is fascinating, it is so interesting to see you guys piecing together an anecdotal European history of cannabis products through your experiences!

What do you mean with "sativa hashes"? Made of european commercial trichomes or coming from Morocco/Lebanon, made of modern sativa hybrids etc.?
German hash market ist still dominated by moroccan hashes (guess at least 80-90%)
I don't agree with your classification "herb" stands for "sativa rush", "hash" for a "indica/body high".
As norvape said, I think this was a point of confusion due to the different time period Norvape was discussing.

I have heard exactly the same thing that you say about Moroccan product dominating the German hash market from other friends from your wonderful country.

Imagine you grow a commercial indica/slightly sativa influenced hybrid. Flowering time is 8-9 weeks. If you grow a real sativa flowering time is at least 12-14 weeks. If you grow a landrace/heirloom sativa it's going fast up to 26 (!) weeks. Yield of pure sativas is the half to 2/3 compared to commercial (mostly) indica varieties. Price of this stuff has to be economically (cause of longer flowering time AND less yield) at least x3 or even x4. Nearly nobody here in Germany is such a connoisseur that he is able a/o willing to pay 20 or 30 €/gr in the north resp. 30-40/g in the south. So you have to grow it yourself or with luck you get some private stash from a grower.
As a hash processor myself, I have to agree with this when we consider cultivation at any level other than large scale outdoor grows. A large outdoor grow of a hearty landrace can still produce enough raw weight of flower to make the harvesting of the low yields of resin found in narrow leaf cultivars to still be viable. Still, the workload is much greater to extract from so much more flower; and due to prohibition etc, the places where this kind a grow can last are incredibly limited. In all scenarios other than very large outdoor grows, it is simply not possible to get the pure narrow leaf cultivars to produce anywhere near as much resin as the hybrids and broad leaf alternatives. The time taken to get full flowering of narrow leaf cultivars is also often much, much greater, as you say, there are many that need to flower for 2-3 times longer than a broad leaf of hybrid plant would.

Much of my own recent hash from an incredibly narrow leaf (but not a landrace!) phenotype recently, it is definitely something that should be on everybody's cannabis bucket list! Uplifting, maybe a little too racey if you have too much. Such energy!

@herbivore21 It's a pitty! Hope we'll see further thoughts about in the nearer future.

You've never used a sebsi? If you should like I would give you one of mine originals from the mid70ties for free.
My US-courier could bring it along to the US and send it to you the next time (probably in the beginning of '18)
Sadly I don't have any sebsi pouches anymore. I for myself haven't used a sebsi for years. It's just a culture-historical experience not worth the performance a/or taste.
But got the idea to try one combined with a tip of one of mine VC tips. Some head openings could fit :thinker:

Regarding use of sebsi and kif here is an interesting site.

Regarding growing outdoors you are right. But there is no possibility for growing varieties flowering longer than 8-9w in Germany by climate conditions. It's getting too cold too fast. And the amount and composition of light is also too weak to produce top sativas outdoors in the most parts of Germany.

Herb, what sativa(-hybrid) variety are you speaking about?

I don't believe you can get hash made of real "traditional" moroccan hash varieties anymore. "Mostly" - probably, "pure" - no way IMO.
Too much modern hybrid genetics were used still in pre-feminized-seed-times. The Rif around Ketama is not a very large region. Remember the ability of pollen for flying over 300km you can easily imagine that there can't be a real tradional genetic anymore by this open pollination after nearly 20 years of using "also" modern genetics. Genetical contamination was going to far. So yes, efx of moroccan hash have changed also notable.

Last edited by a moderator:
@herbivore21 It's a pitty! Hope we'll see further thoughts about in the nearer future.

You've never used a sebsi? If you should like I would give you one of mine originals from the mid70ties for free.
My US-courier could bring it along to the US and send it to you the next time (probably in the beginning of '18)
Sadly I don't have any sebsi pouches anymore. I for myself haven't used a sebsi for years. It's just a culture-historical experience not worth the performance a/or taste.
But got the idea to try one combined with a tip of one of mine VC tips. Some head openings could fit :thinker:
Greetings my friend!

This is such a kind offer my friend, I greatly appreciate it. I'll PM you about this one :)

Regarding use of sebsi and kif here is an interesting site.
Checking this one out now :biggrin: Fascinating stuff! It seems the clay elbow joint attaches to the end of the wood and you place your load in there? It actually does look like it could be made to connect to a VC, that would be an incredible marriage of old and new!

Regarding growing outdoors you are right. But there is no possibility for growing varieties flowering longer than 8-9w in Germany by climate conditions. It's getting too cold too fast. And the amount and composition of light is also too weak to produce top sativas outdoors in the most parts of Germany.
You've hit the nail on the head brother, a lot of places, like Germany have climate that just does not allow for all kinds of varieties to be done justice outdoors.

I don't believe you can get hash made of real "traditional" moroccan hash varieties anymore. "Mostly" - probably, "pure" - no way IMO.
I agree, this may be quite difficult to find. I am sure that it could be found if one really dedicated themself to the search, but it would be likely that there just isn't much of these varieties about anymore.

Too much modern hybrid genetics were used still in pre-feminized-seed-times. The Rif around Ketama is not a very large region. Remember the ability of pollen for flying over 300km you can easily imagine that there can't be a real tradional genetic anymore by this open pollination after nearly 20 years of using "also" modern genetics. Genetical contamination was going to far. So yes, efx of moroccan hash have changed also notable
Absolutely, depending on the conditions, that pollen can go a very long way!

I would not go so far as to say that contemporary iterations of the original genetics could not still be found uncontaminated by newer varieties (remember, genetics do not remain the same over multiple generations even in the absence of pollen from other varieties. Genes are themselves subject to change due to environmental factors! Read up on epigenetics for example). One thing I have noticed is that even cloning the same variety over successive generations, the genotype and phenotype can change radically. Nature is a fascinating thing!

I do take your point though, due to all of the above, it would be very unlikely to find Morrocan hash that had the same qualities as it used to in the past.

@herbivore21 , just heard that friends will go to the US for holidays mid of oct. They would bring along the package for you to the US ;-)

You still didn't answer my question, what variety of Sativa(-hybrid) your were speaking about?

"Much of my own recent hash from an incredibly narrow leaf (but not a landrace!) phenotype recently, it is definitely something that should be on everybody's cannabis bucket list! Uplifting, maybe a little too racey if you have too much. Such energy!"

Last edited:
@herbivore21 , just heard that friends will go to the US for holidays mid of oct. They would bring along the package for you to the US ;-)

You still didn't answer my question, what variety of Sativa(-hybrid) your were speaking about?

"Much of my own recent hash from an incredibly narrow leaf (but not a landrace!) phenotype recently, it is definitely something that should be on everybody's cannabis bucket list! Uplifting, maybe a little too racey if you have too much. Such energy!"
lol can't mention that unfortunately, but I can say that it is beautiful! It isn't traditional hash, but I thought you would all enjoy a picture of this temple ball I just rolled after being inspired by this thread:

NXmZLoM.jpg

This one is 73u 6 star bubble, the last few collections from my most recent nug run that I gently hand pressed (with gloves!).

One thing I've never seen in traditional hashes in the marbling effect we see here. In my experience, the very meltiest hashes tend to take on this appearance as you press them, whereas those traditional pressed hashes that may be up to 5 star have generally had a more uniform color after the heat press. Given that I've only tried a fraction of the traditional hashes that have gotten around the globe, I'd be fascinated to hear what you guys have seen when it comes to marbling of pressed hash!

Pretty quiet here!?
hehehe...I would talk more about traditional hashish if I ever was able to get any in the last 20 years! LOL

Amazing stuff! Looks so....yummy! I've never seen marbling surfaces in 45y before. How does it happen?
I believe that in this case, marbling is a byproduct of crystallization. Some parts of the hash are so saturated with terps that the THCA starts to form a polycrystalline precipitate within the temple ball. This crystallized section will be paler than the surrounding darker material, but this is likely to change over time depending on the storage of the material!

This ball was actually not heat pressed, which is important to note because hash that is pressed with heat may look like marble because some of the hash in that ball was pressed hotter/more than other parts of the hash - leading to some darker and lighter portions of the material. Again, whether this latter kind of marbling will happen depends a lot of on how the pressing is done.

I am gonna have to come back here and share a picture of a beautiful traditional hash temple ball from once upon a time! Watch this space!

zwxcaZk.jpg

XMxRLNd.jpg

I should say that I can't take credit for this material. It was a hash that I was fortunate enough to enjoy and photograph once upon a time :peace:

Oh man, that was a good day! This ball had blobbed out to the state seen in the first pic in storage. I am sure my friends @Baron23 and @Hogni have noticed that the gooier, melting hashes tend to not hold a true ball shape in storage - but of course, this is a good thing :biggrin:

High and dry: Pakistan's liking of hash

Niaz Ali is a deeply religious man: He prays five times a day and visits the mosque as frequently as possible. But he also loves to smoke hashish -- lots of it.

Despite it being forbidden by his faith, the 50 year-old estimates he spends about 30 percent of his earnings as a cab driver on the habit.

His love affair with cannabis began as an occasional puff with friends when he was a teenager, but has since morphed into a full-blown addiction for the father-of-nine.

"It is a sacred plant. A sacred intoxication," says Ali, who asked to use a pseudonym, after taking a fresh rip off a hookah packed with pungent hash in Pakistan's bustling northwestern town of Peshawar.

"It's like a second wife, this addiction," he sighs.

While Ali freely acknowledges using hash runs counter to the tenets of Islam, he insists it has its advantages.

"We know that it is haram but it's an intoxication that doesn't harm anyone else," he explains.

In conservative Pakistan, an Islamic republic, the consumption of alcohol is strictly forbidden for Muslims. Any semblance of a sybaritic nightlife takes place at home behind closed doors, where the country's elite have been known to quaff booze.

But many Pakistanis are surprisingly open to using cannabis, with the spongy, black hash made from marijuana grown in the country's tribal belt and neighbouring Afghanistan the preferred variant of the drug.

Whereas alcohol is explicitly forbidden in Islamic scripture, hash seemingly straddles a theological gray zone, which could explain its popularity in the country.

Even if most observant Muslims in Pakistan scoff at the idea of drinking, a prod into their feelings on marijuana often triggers a wry smile followed by a trite maxim about how good it makes food taste or how restful sleep can be after a toke.

'No compromise on hash'

People have been smoking hash on the subcontinent for centuries.

It predates the arrival of Islam in the region, with reference to cannabis appearing in the sacred Hindu Atharva Veda text describing its medicinal and ritual uses.

According to a 2013 UN survey, cannabis was the most widely consumed drug in Pakistan with around four million users, representing 3.6 percent of the population -- a figure that has drawn scepticism in a country where reliable data can be hard to come by.

"It's an underestimation," says Dr. Parveen Azam Khan, president of the Dost Welfare Foundation, a nonprofit that treats drug addicts in Peshawar.

Despite its widespread consumption, not all are happy about hash's prevalence in the so-called "Land of the Pure".

"There is no compromise with hashish," says Maulana Mohammad Tayyab Qureshi, the imam of the main Peshawar mosque.

According to Qureshi, anything that causes intoxication or bodily harm is strictly forbidden in the faith. He chalks up marijuana's popularity in Pakistan as a law enforcement issue.

Public health experts also warn the ubiquitous availability of cheap hash in Pakistan's northwest has been especially harmful to impoverished children, who increasingly use the drug to deal with the hardships of poverty and trauma from years of militant violence.

"For children, it's the drug of choice," says Dr. Khan, blaming the vicious nexus between the region's narco-funded insurgencies and widespread drug use for the scourge.

Pakistan also remains wholly unequipped to handle the problem, with the UN survey saying a dearth of treatment clinics and prohibitive costs keeps users from seeking help.

'Wakes up your mind'

But in Islamic shrines salted across the country others see cannabis as more benign.

At the Bari Badshah shrine in the heart of Peshawar, followers of the Sufi sect of Islam gather in a small courtyard nightly, where they smoke copious amounts of hash and listen to devotional music while draining tea by the kettle.

Conversations are fluid, only to be interrupted by hard drags off hash pipes with the occasional song performed by one of the devotees.

"The basic work of hash... it wakes up new corners in your mind," says Mohammed Amin, 50.

According to Sayeed Asjid, 27, such shrines are welcome to members of any faith and in Peshawar are frequented by high-level bureaucrats, police officers and members of security agencies.

"It's a deep relaxation," says Asjid of the cannabis high as he exhales clouds of marijuana smoke.

But Sufi shrines have been the frequent target over the years by Taliban militants and sectarian extremists like the Islamic State group, who view the mystical sect as heretical.

"That was only to spread fear and havoc," says Asjid of the attacks, while expressing his faith in the power of the shrine to protect.

The herb is not only enjoyed by free-spirited Sufi mystics.

Mehwish, a single mother of three, says the occasional joint helps manage the stress that comes with the daily grind.

"You can use hash when you are alone... then you can think in a relaxed way," says Mehwish, whose name has been changed on request.

Although she admits most of her family are unaware of her habit, the 26-year-old is a firm believer in its benefits.

She adds: "When you feel good and you're active and it puts a smile on your face then nobody minds."

High and dry: Pakistan's liking of hash

Niaz Ali is a deeply religious man: He prays five times a day and visits the mosque as frequently as possible. But he also loves to smoke hashish -- lots of it.

Despite it being forbidden by his faith, the 50 year-old estimates he spends about 30 percent of his earnings as a cab driver on the habit.

His love affair with cannabis began as an occasional puff with friends when he was a teenager, but has since morphed into a full-blown addiction for the father-of-nine.

"It is a sacred plant. A sacred intoxication," says Ali, who asked to use a pseudonym, after taking a fresh rip off a hookah packed with pungent hash in Pakistan's bustling northwestern town of Peshawar.

"It's like a second wife, this addiction," he sighs.

While Ali freely acknowledges using hash runs counter to the tenets of Islam, he insists it has its advantages.

"We know that it is haram but it's an intoxication that doesn't harm anyone else," he explains.

In conservative Pakistan, an Islamic republic, the consumption of alcohol is strictly forbidden for Muslims. Any semblance of a sybaritic nightlife takes place at home behind closed doors, where the country's elite have been known to quaff booze.

But many Pakistanis are surprisingly open to using cannabis, with the spongy, black hash made from marijuana grown in the country's tribal belt and neighbouring Afghanistan the preferred variant of the drug.

Whereas alcohol is explicitly forbidden in Islamic scripture, hash seemingly straddles a theological gray zone, which could explain its popularity in the country.

Even if most observant Muslims in Pakistan scoff at the idea of drinking, a prod into their feelings on marijuana often triggers a wry smile followed by a trite maxim about how good it makes food taste or how restful sleep can be after a toke.

'No compromise on hash'

People have been smoking hash on the subcontinent for centuries.

It predates the arrival of Islam in the region, with reference to cannabis appearing in the sacred Hindu Atharva Veda text describing its medicinal and ritual uses.

According to a 2013 UN survey, cannabis was the most widely consumed drug in Pakistan with around four million users, representing 3.6 percent of the population -- a figure that has drawn scepticism in a country where reliable data can be hard to come by.

"It's an underestimation," says Dr. Parveen Azam Khan, president of the Dost Welfare Foundation, a nonprofit that treats drug addicts in Peshawar.

Despite its widespread consumption, not all are happy about hash's prevalence in the so-called "Land of the Pure".

"There is no compromise with hashish," says Maulana Mohammad Tayyab Qureshi, the imam of the main Peshawar mosque.

According to Qureshi, anything that causes intoxication or bodily harm is strictly forbidden in the faith. He chalks up marijuana's popularity in Pakistan as a law enforcement issue.

Public health experts also warn the ubiquitous availability of cheap hash in Pakistan's northwest has been especially harmful to impoverished children, who increasingly use the drug to deal with the hardships of poverty and trauma from years of militant violence.

"For children, it's the drug of choice," says Dr. Khan, blaming the vicious nexus between the region's narco-funded insurgencies and widespread drug use for the scourge.

Pakistan also remains wholly unequipped to handle the problem, with the UN survey saying a dearth of treatment clinics and prohibitive costs keeps users from seeking help.

'Wakes up your mind'

But in Islamic shrines salted across the country others see cannabis as more benign.

At the Bari Badshah shrine in the heart of Peshawar, followers of the Sufi sect of Islam gather in a small courtyard nightly, where they smoke copious amounts of hash and listen to devotional music while draining tea by the kettle.

Conversations are fluid, only to be interrupted by hard drags off hash pipes with the occasional song performed by one of the devotees.

"The basic work of hash... it wakes up new corners in your mind," says Mohammed Amin, 50.

According to Sayeed Asjid, 27, such shrines are welcome to members of any faith and in Peshawar are frequented by high-level bureaucrats, police officers and members of security agencies.

"It's a deep relaxation," says Asjid of the cannabis high as he exhales clouds of marijuana smoke.

But Sufi shrines have been the frequent target over the years by Taliban militants and sectarian extremists like the Islamic State group, who view the mystical sect as heretical.

"That was only to spread fear and havoc," says Asjid of the attacks, while expressing his faith in the power of the shrine to protect.

The herb is not only enjoyed by free-spirited Sufi mystics.

Mehwish, a single mother of three, says the occasional joint helps manage the stress that comes with the daily grind.

"You can use hash when you are alone... then you can think in a relaxed way," says Mehwish, whose name has been changed on request.

Although she admits most of her family are unaware of her habit, the 26-year-old is a firm believer in its benefits.

She adds: "When you feel good and you're active and it puts a smile on your face then nobody minds."
That was a wonderful read man, thanks for sharing! That final statement sums it up well! :peace:

That was a wonderful read man, thanks for sharing! That final statement sums it up well! :peace:
Yeah, wonderful and mouth watering. Wish I had some of what she was smoking....but not worth going to Pakistan for this bar mitzvah boy! LOL

@herbivore21 - so, with our expanding MMJ program I was able to actually go into a DC med dispensary (reciprocity is now in effect) and they actually had some hash. Now, its a fortune and I doubt I will ever spend this much for anything like it again, but I bought a .5 g container as I just wanted to see if it would take me back down memory lane.

First, I smoked it. Screw futzing with a vaporizer for some level of extraction, I wanted to consume this stuff so I just sliced off tokes and burnt it in a pipe.

Actually, taste is reminicent of the old black slab hash we used to get almost 50 years ago on the east coast. It is NOT as well integrated. That is, the trad black hash we used to get was a very even, kind of dense, consistency throughout. Black on the outside and sort of brownish/greenish on the inside. This stuff, looked good on the outside but not as well pressed and manipulated as trad hash, I believe.

I have seen vids of hash makers from trad parts of the world and they heat and work and manipulate it by hand the hash for a good while. Probably not happening here! LOL

Pics but could have used better lighting. Actually, could badly have used better lighting

Attachment-1.jpeg

Attachment-3.jpeg

I have a small pollen press that I've used a few times with good results. It's made of a couple of pieces of metal, drop the kief inside, put the two pieces together and squeeze it in a vice. I've seen some people heat the press with a torch while pressing which changes it, but it seems a bit aggressive for my liking. It's not all that distant from pressing rosin, just lower pressure and heat. I could fill the prepress with bubble or kief some time and see how it turns out...

Heres a link to a home made one if you want to try it at home. https://herb.co/marijuana/news/kief-press
Some people put their sift into a parchment envelope, then into a shoe, and walk on it for a bit of pressure and heat. On occasion, mostly from seeing pictures of Herbie's Temple Balls (works of art, suitable for display) I've made some smaller ones just pressing in my hand, which works well enough.

So, having said that, I'm not completely sure I understand the whole 'why' of hash. Sift on it's own is an easy way to medicate. Why the extra processing? Does it add some type of je nu cais quios that hash afficionados enjoy?

I have a small pollen press that I've used a few times with good results. It's made of a couple of pieces of metal, drop the kief inside, put the two pieces together and squeeze it in a vice. I've seen some people heat the press with a torch while pressing which changes it, but it seems a bit aggressive for my liking. It's not all that distant from pressing rosin, just lower pressure and heat. I could fill the prepress with bubble or kief some time and see how it turns out...

Heres a link to a home made one if you want to try it at home. https://herb.co/marijuana/news/kief-press
Some people put their sift into a parchment envelope, then into a shoe, and walk on it for a bit of pressure and heat. On occasion, mostly from seeing pictures of Herbie's Temple Balls (works of art, suitable for display) I've made some smaller ones just pressing in my hand, which works well enough.

So, having said that, I'm not completely sure I understand the whole 'why' of hash. Sift on it's own is an easy way to medicate. Why the extra processing? Does it add some type of je nu cais quios that hash afficionados enjoy?
There was just something different about real far eastern traditional hash that separated it from flower or even sift. Don't know why/how and it may be the halcyon glow of distant memories more than reality, but yes....my recollection is that it was different.

@herbivore21 - so, with our expanding MMJ program I was able to actually go into a DC med dispensary (reciprocity is now in effect) and they actually had some hash. Now, its a fortune and I doubt I will ever spend this much for anything like it again, but I bought a .5 g container as I just wanted to see if it would take me back down memory lane.
Holy shit bro! Despite the price premium in legal markets, I'm glad you had that opportunity :biggrin:

First, I smoked it. Screw futzing with a vaporizer for some level of extraction, I wanted to consume this stuff so I just sliced off tokes and burnt it in a pipe.
I do prefer to vaporize hash that doesn't fully melt in the Mighty these days, it's less wasteful and maximizes taste whilst minimizing harshness of the vapor (liquid capsules are truly ideal for this purpose with a few modifications, which I need to share here pronto!). However, for the purposes of comparing this new hash with the hash you were used to from the good old days, smoking it will serve well :dog:

Actually, taste is reminicent of the old black slab hash we used to get almost 50 years ago on the east coast. It is NOT as well integrated. That is, the trad black hash we used to get was a very even, kind of dense, consistency throughout. Black on the outside and sort of brownish/greenish on the inside. This stuff, looked good on the outside but not as well pressed and manipulated as trad hash, I believe.
I suspect looking at your picture that you are right brother. I don't think that hash was necessarily pressed with much pressure at all, and you're likely to find that it wasn't pressed with heat either, from the picture it looks like resin that has been formed into a ball without the constant pressing and application of heat that results in the more homogeneous finished product that you and I are familiar with in traditional hashes.

With that said, it looks like a good resin:plant material ratio from what I can see in your pic. Did it bubble and melt much when heated? From what I can see in the picture, I'd guess at it being a 4 star melt or potentially greater :biggrin:

The benefits of traditional heat pressing of hash are mixed, and there are corresponding trade-offs IME/IMO between pressing and not pressing hash. Traditional heat pressing in some regions can be incredibly aggressive with the temps applied and outright detrimental to the finished product (for example, I've known of Pakistani producers who hold large slabs of hash directly to an open propane camp stove flame and then pressing it, this is no bueno!), but other traditional methods of heat pressing are much gentler (such as those used by Frenchy Cannoli) and do not necessarily negatively impact the finished product, rather they make for a different product.

The tradeoff IME as someone who is well-versed in pressing hash and also in leaving it in its original state is roughly as follows:

Heat pressing with controlled, low heat (ie: a bottle full of boiling water a la Frenchy Cannoli's technique) can result in a finished hash that has more of a body effect that the unpressed equivalent. The flavor changes, but IMO does not always deteriorate per se. Many prefer these kinds of effects, especially those of us who have enjoyed traditional hashes in the past. Unpressed hash can be too heady for some people's sensibilities.

Unpressed hash can be a PITA to handle, especially if it is melty (>3 stars). However, when it has not been pressed with heat, it will retain all of the original flavor, so long as it is stored in sufficiently low temp and low humidity. Glass jars like the one you received tend to get some resin irretrievably stuck to the round glass surfaces in a way that leads to some wastage. I do not recommend those containers for unpressed hashes. Unpressed hash is headier, has more of the original monoterpene flavors but does not get those rich chocolate/herby flavors that we see in controlled heat pressed hash.

Aggressively heat pressed hashes are mostly the domain of import hash. I am not aware of producers in North America who press hash with large amounts of heat, such as the Pakistani example I mentioned above. IME, too much heat in the pressing can lead to acrid, somewhat bitter flavors emerging in the hash. The fruity and more volatile terpenes tend to be almost entirely absent in these kinds of products - they will have that universal 'hashy' flavor that we see in hash but not in flowers or other extracts still usually however. These hashes will have a lot more body effect than the same material that has not been pressed with heat.

I often wonder how heat pressing came about in the production of hash. Many have supposed that it is due to convenience in transporting large quantities in a way that occupies less volume of space. However, I also wonder whether this was partially due to ease of handling any quantity of the material, even for personal use. Before dabbing came about, the better (ie: meltier) the hash, the harder the unpressed material would be to deal with, with comparatively more waste I'm sure.

Greetings my friend! I've discussed some guesses as to the why of heat pressing above. However, I should point out that when I press my hash into temple balls, that is done in a way that is devoid of heat except for that which may be transferred from my hands through thick nitrile gloves (not comparable to the heat used in traditional methods). The reason why it is useful to do this for my purposes is that the hash can be stored without much risk of oxidative degradation to the majority of the hash - only the outside dries up and hardens, whereas the material inside cures in a way that produces a beautiful creamy consistency and flavor retention that is incomparable to other methods of storing cannabis concentrates for long periods, short of using very expensive, space and energy consuming temp/humidity controlled environments.

There was just something different about real far eastern traditional hash that separated it from flower or even sift. Don't know why/how and it may be the halcyon glow of distant memories more than reality, but yes....my recollection is that it was different.
You're right, it is definitely different in my experience brother! I can say so having had the opportunity to compare the same material both heat pressed and not heat pressed :weed:

Now to watch these hash videos that you guys have shared above! Thanks for the discussion my friends!

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back