Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law Maryland MMJ

Hi @momofthegoons - Oh, they will get their act together or be closed, one or the other. The one I went today did not have you empty your pockets, did not frisk you, and their security...if they did carry it was hidden. Yesterday they got these two guys fitted out with the whole Sam Browne bit. Wow.

Also, prices are VERY high right now. It is expected that they will go down and go down quickly, but what I bought was going for $470/oz which includes taxes but the taxes are NOT shown on your receipt...they are built into the price. I have a feeling this came from the state who doesn't want us to know how raped we are. If the price doesn't come down to at least $300/oz, people will just buy black market in DC.

I don't think there will be long lines mid-day on a weekday by next week or so. Yep, I knew that there would be lines and it would be a bit of a PIA, but I wanted to participate (its like some sort of emancipation for me). Just never imagined that this one dispensary could get it so out of whack.

Anyway, I'm not buying again for a month or so...I want to see variety in cultivators, in strains, and in form. I

It will happen but YES, THEY ARE FINALLY OPEN! :aaaaa:

Medical marijuana has arrived in Maryland, and sales have begun

By Fenit Nirappil, Rachel Siegel and Aaron Gregg December 2 at 11:58 AM
06mdpotB.jpg

Jeremy Wells, 31, of Bel Air, Md., chats with Peg Nottingham, of Gaithersburg, as clients stand in line for medical marijuana Friday at Potomac Holistics in Rockville. It was the first dispensary to open its doors to patients in Maryland after years of delays in the program. (Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)
At least 200 would-be customers were lined up outside Rockville’s first medical marijuana dispensary Friday afternoon when one of the owners announced that a cannabis shipment — including elixirs, tablets and flowers — had arrived.

Bill Askinazi promised that everyone in line would go home with at least some marijuana, then said computer issues were delaying the start of sales, and rushed back inside.

Call it a soft opening for Maryland’s long-awaited medical marijuana program, with at least two stores opening Friday after nearly five years of bureaucracy and delays.

In addition to Askinazi’s Potomac Holistics, Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Cumberland, near the Pennsylvania border, served its first customers late that night.

Five other dispensaries also told The Washington Post that they plan to start selling cannabis products in coming days. Wellness Institute of Maryland, in Frederick, said it had already made limited sales through a trial program but declined to provide further details.

Some people drove for more than an hour to get to the Rockville dispensary. Denise Broyhill came from Annapolis and was the dispensary’s second customer. She exited the store just after 5:30 p.m., holding a newly bought cannabis flower and 20 yellow tablets.

Broyhill, who spent $104, said she is seeking pain management for a neurological problem, and was excited — and “relieved” — to be able to try something “new and different.”

David Johnson, 38, who suffered nerve damage during a surgery nearly a decade ago, was third in line after arriving at 10:20 a.m. “I’m looking forward to no pain, no stress,” he said. “I know you can’t smoke it in the parking lot, but I won’t make it too much past here.”

[How to get medical marijuana in Maryland and other FAQs]

2300-MarylandMarijuana.jpg

The launch of the industry doesn’t mean medical marijuana will be easy to buy. Because of low supply and high demand, dispensaries are limiting initial sales to patients who preregistered. And cannabis entrepreneurs say the first batches may be especially expensive because quantities are limited, only a few growers are ready to deliver, and businesses want to recoup hefty start-up costs.

“After six months, we’ll be on par with what people will be paying in the black market,” said Charlie Mattingly, who runs Southern Maryland Relief dispensary in Mechanicsville. “I just need my foot in the door; I’m not trying to gouge anybody in the first year . . . Every new market and new state starts a little bit high.”

Health insurance plans do not cover the drug, which is illegal under federal law.

17mdpotA.jpg

Peg Nottingham of Gaithersburg, MD, smokes a strain of medical marijuana called Northern Lights that she received from Potomac Holistics on Friday, December 1, 2017 in Rockville, MD. (photo by Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)
Allegany Medical said in a Facebook post that pot would cost $680 for an ounce, about a one-month supply. That’s several times the cost in states like Colorado, California, Washington and Oregon, which have the country’s largest legal marijuana markets. Sajal Roy, manager of Allegany Medical, said he expects the price to drop to about $560 by January. Michael Klein, who runs Wellness Institute of Maryland in Frederick, said his dispensary would sell medical marijuana for between $440 and $520 an ounce when it opens Monday. Mattingly said his prices would start at $400 per ounce and gradually drop.

Medical marijuana is now legal in more than half of U.S. states and the District. But in Maryland, for now, there are few places to buy it.

Ninety-two dispensaries that received preliminary licenses from the state nearly a year ago have yet to win final approval, and their deadline to do so is a week away. It’s unclear whether the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission — which on Friday announced the appointment of health care executive Joy Strand as its third executive director in as many years — will extend the deadline.

Advocates say the launch of the program in Maryland is still a cause for celebration.

mdmedmarijuana9.jpg

Green Leaf Medical LLC chief executive Philip Goldberg, right, and his brother and general counsel, Kevin Goldberg, walk through one of the company’s flower rooms Wednesday in Frederick, Md. The facility is one of 14 growing Maryland’s medical marijuana.
“The most important thing is that patients will be getting an opportunity for a new class of therapeutic drugs that will continue to expand as the science continues to expand,” said Del. Dan Morhaim (D-Baltimore County), a physician who led the charge in the state legislature for medical marijuana.

Darrell Carrington, a lobbyist for medical marijuana companies, said some dispensary owners have been struggling to secure zoning approvals from local governments and to find landlords willing to rent to their businesses.

“It’s going to be a little bit more drama, regrettably, at the beginning,” he said. “However, everyone is over the moon that we finally have a program,” he said.

In Frederick County, Kannavis of Ijamsville said it was planning to open Saturday.

Southern Maryland Relief said it would start sales Sunday, depending on the timing of shipments, while Peninsula Alternative Health on the Eastern Shore was looking at a Monday opening. Two dispensaries in Howard County planned to open later in December.

The Facebook post from Allegany Medical that listed the $680-per-ounce price prompted a variety of reactions.

“Guess I’ll stick with black market,” one Facebook commenter responded.

“I’ll pay to be legal,” another posted.

The opening of marijuana dispensaries angered some who oppose legalization. DeForest Rathbone, a resident of St. Mary’s County and founder of the National Institute of Citizen Anti-Drug Policy, accused Maryland of creating “a de facto drug cartel . . . to promote and enable lucrative marijuana businesses to sell their dangerous, addictive, mind-altering, child-brain-poisoning, family-destroying pot products throughout the entire state of Maryland.”

Although medical marijuana has won support from both Democrats and Republicans, who see the industry as a source of jobs and an alternative to addictive opioids, the opening of dispensaries has stirred opposition in some communities.

At Allegany Medical in Cumberland, the phones kept ringing and customers stopped in frequently all afternoon, only to learn that the armored truck carrying the drug hadn’t arrived yet. One receptionist joked she would need a bottle of wine at the end of the night.

mdpot3.jpg

A security employee stands by a case of marijuana distribution devices while waiting for the first patients to arrive at Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary on December 1, 2017 in Cumberland, Md. (Photo by Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)
At 5:08 p.m., general manager Mark Van Tyne announced bad news: The shipment of marijuana, originally expected at 5 p.m., was delayed to 7:30 p.m. Even though the dispensary was supposed to close at 6 p.m., he promised that patients who had orders placed and couldn’t wait would still get their drugs.

Walter Elliott, who is being weaned off opioid pills for chronic back pain, was among the few willing to stick it out. “I wouldn’t miss it,” the 60-year-old Frostburg resident said. “I haven’t even smoked marijuana in 20 years or more, but you have to do something to help people get off the opioids.”

The shipment arrived around 7:30 p.m., but lags in the computer system tracking marijuana slowed sales for another few hours. At least 25 people were still waiting in the lobby just before 10 p.m. as the first order was being packaged.

Soon after, the Cumberland dispensary made its first sale. Elliott left with his marijuana at 12:30 a.m.

The dispensary, in a building across the street from Interstate 68, had giant “medical marijuana dispensary” signs unfurled outside. The lobby had a Christmas tree in the corner and wreaths hanging on the wall alongside posters of the drug.

Chris Mulvaney, a former Cumberland police officer turned dispensary security officer, marveled as he looked at a glass case filled with marijuana paraphernalia. “I come from a law enforcement background. I can’t tell you how weird seeing this is,” he said, gesturing to marijuana bowls and pipes. “I can’t tell you how many of these I’ve crushed.”

Also, prices are VERY high right now. It is expected that they will go down and go down quickly, but what I bought was going for $470/oz which includes taxes but the taxes are NOT shown on your receipt...they are built into the price
Wow that price per oz. is high! I know that the tax percentage is somewhere in the articles above... but humor me (since I know you know lol) and what tax are they charging again?

Makes me wonder how this new program that's hitting Michigan is going to affect prices.... :uhoh:

I got a text from the dispensary yesterday on their sales.... an oz of the sale weed (Cat Piss) was $140. On average I pay $175 if not on sale. The price you paid is substantially more.... and not the direction this should be going in. It will definitely drive things back to the black market if weed prices start escalating to this extent because of taxation.

But let's think positively. That's not gonna happen.... right? :biggrin:

but humor me (since I know you know lol) and what tax are they charging again?

Nope, not in any article that I found. I did find this in a survey of tax rules for all MMJ states:

https://www.cannabisbusinessexecutive.com/medical-marijuana-tax-facts/

The Marijuana Control Act of 2014 would impose an excise tax of $50 per ounce on the sale of marijuana by a cultivation facility, which would generate an estimated $91.3 million per year. The tax rate may be adjusted for inflation or deflation, based on the Consumer Price Index. The first $5 million of revenue raised annually would be directed towards drug addiction treatment and education.
This info is NOT readily available nor is the state being very transparent on this. I believe that the reason that I don't see a sales tax on my receipt is that there is no sales tax on medicine in MD, including MMJ. But, it appears that they levy a $50/oz excise tax collected at the cultivators so that's where they are getting their pound of flesh.

Oh, if prices don't come down significantly, they it will just go back to the black market and its stupid easy to get in DC....and cheap....and a whole 10 miles away from me.

How was that cat piss...I think I saw a Troy vid where he was vaping Cat Piss and said it tasted like...cat piss. Not a real appealing visual. LOL

So, I vapes some of the Ace of Spades last night and it was ok. Not a Saturn V launch, but ok. And its clean...vaped clean, looked very clean...all in all, ok for a first go.

Funny, all three strains look somewhat similar (well, the sativa hybrid is a more open bud structure) and kind of smell alike. I'm sure this stuff was rushed to market and we will be seeing significant increases in quality, quantity, variety, form, and certainly the price will come down. Fuck....I was getting N Cali weed for $350 with lots of people in between making money and thought that was high. $470/oz is stupid.

Yes, I am still very positive. There is a whole industry yet to come on line and it will all work out. Competition will force them to increase quality/variety and to lower prices.

Cheers Mom.

It was really expensive in the beginning with the legal states. It comes down to supply and demand. Supply will grow and prices will fall.

Here in WA top shelf is about $250 an oz. I don’t usually buy an ounce of one strain because I like having a variety of flowers. I usually have 5 or 6 strains on hand. An 1/8 is usually what I buy and it’s like around $40 an 1/8 which is a lot IMO. Our taxes are high here. Because I am a medical patient I just save on sales tax which is 9%:

Good luck @Baron23 in Maine.

This info is NOT readily available nor is the state being very transparent on this.
:disgust: Really makes you wonder doesn't it? Why all the secrecy?

How was that cat piss...I think I saw a Troy vid where he was vaping Cat Piss and said it tasted like...cat piss. Not a real appealing visual. LOL
Lol... I didn't get any. I was just quoting the sales price. I don't buy flower at the dispensaries since I have a caregiver and get a free oz. every month. Additional is $175/oz. for top shelf. So why bother with the dispensaries for that? I just buy my concentrates there. :smile:

Hi Mom - best I can see, they don't want us to really know we are being taxed on this stuff. In MD, there is no sales tax on prescription drugs.

So, buy from a dispensary and you will see no tax on your reciept. But they seem to have a flat $50/oz excise tax levied at on the cultivator. Now, that $50 isn't being paid by some sort of immaculate conception....its passed on down the supply chain to us, the consumers.

So, at $400/oz we are paying 12.5% tax (and sales tax is only 6% here). Now, competition drives down the price to a more reasonable $250/oz, we are being taxed at a 20% tax rate. See what I'm saying....they AIN'T saying cause the state has almost guaranteed their revenue stream without regard for pricing.

If it got to $175/oz like you are getting, then we would be at a 28.5% tax rate and if people knew this there would be another tea party...this time in Annapolis harbor.

You are getting great deals....so, are the care givers the actual growers there?

P.S. - I noted that the herb was on the dry side....I put up most of it in mason jars with 62% Boveda paks and its re-hydrating nicely. I just don't want it to fall to dust when ground, hence I like a bit of moisture in there to start....than after grinding I dry to the level I like for vaping.

Cheers

You are getting great deals....so, are the care givers the actual growers there?
Yes they are. Caregivers can currently have up to 5 patients here and grow 12 plants per patient. Patients can also choose to be their own caregiver and grow 12 plants.

I don't understand why only one grower is shipping except for the reg in MD that flower can only sit on the shelf 90 days. Couple this with MD state government's complete and utter mismanagement of rolling out this supply chain from end to end, and I suspect that growers either had to shit can their initial stock and are growing a new crop or they just didn't begin until they new they had labs and dispensaries to ship to.

I KNOW for a fact that some growers received their final licenses in early summer...I was there when they were awarded. So, something's up and nobody is saying.

Days after opening, Maryland medical marijuana dispensaries sell out of product

The celebration at most of Maryland’s medical marijuana dispensaries didn’t last long.

After a four-year-plus wait, medical cannabis sales at a handful of the state’s 10 fully licensed dispensaries began Friday to patients who waited in line for hours.

But dispensary owners didn’t receive as much product as hoped and were forced to limit customers to smaller quantities than they’re legally allowed to buy.

Store shelves were nearly empty within days, leaving shop owners waiting on additional supply to start selling again. The flower supply went first, but some stores still had Dixie Elixirs products for sale.

Only one grower, Curio Wellness, is currently providing flower to Maryland’s dispensaries, and there simply isn’t enough to go around.

Maryland has awarded 14 cultivation licenses, but Curio is the only one with product ready at the moment.

Hiccups like Maryland is experiencing aren’t uncommon in the marijuana industry, as new state markets come online each year.

For example, Hawaii’s rollout this year looked very similar, with a supply shortage forcing dispensaries to temporarily close not long after beginning sales.

Despite the setbacks, Maryland’s MMJ business owners are finding solace in finally making transactions and getting product out the door.

“It was a festive day,” said Andy Grossman, market president for Green Thumb Industries Maryland, which owns the Rise dispensaries in Silver Spring and Bethesda. Rise’s Bethesda location opened for business on Saturday.

“People have waited a long time.”

Day One

At the Kannavis dispensary in Frederick, manager Jordan Baker said patients were in a celebratory mood Saturday.

“It was very friendly,” he said, noting that customers in line were clapping as others came out of the store with their purchases.

More than 200 patients purchased medical cannabis at Kannavis and cleaned the store out of flower by the end of the business day.

While declining to give sales figures or provide the total amount of product sold, Baker said most patients bought the store’s quarter-ounce limit for flower. Kannavis sold two strains at $112 and $125 for a quarter-ounce.

Patients were also limited to two infused products. Baker said the store also sold quite a few vaporizers and other accessories.

Bill Askinazi, principal at Potomac Holistics dispensary in Rockville, started sales Friday night and was “almost out of product” by Monday.

About 250 patients snatched up the roughly 4 pounds of flower Potomac had on hand.

“We went right through it,” Askinazi said.

He declined to provide sales numbers or prices but said patients “weren’t just buying grams. The average sale was healthy.”

Askinazi turned away about 100 patients when the flower supply dried up on Saturday, but the dispensary still had a few Dixie tablets and elixirs left on Monday.

At the Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Cumberland, CEO and owner Dr. Sajal Roy said he didn’t receive as much product as he had hoped.

His store opened Friday and sold its 2.75 pounds of flower by Saturday. Roy had asked for about 8 pounds.

Roy estimated his dispensary served about 150 patients for total sales of about $26,000 for the two days. Patients averaged a little over $200 a transaction, he added.

Flower sold for $24 a gram at the Allegany dispensary, where patients were encouraged to limit their purchases.

Rise Bethesda served hundreds of patients Saturday, according to Grossman.

Patients were capped at a quarter-ounce of flower, which sold for $110. The store also offered infused products.

Bumps in the road

Aside from the supply issue, dispensaries experienced run-of-the-mill, opening-day stumbling blocks.

Kannavis’ Baker said it was tough launching on a Saturday because customer support offices weren’t open. He was putting out fires – problems with the labeling or receipt printers, for instance – by reading online help articles.

Askinazi cited one glitch. His technology – MJ Freeway’s point-of-sale system and METRC’s state seed-to-sale traceability program – wasn’t communicating well.

Allegany’s Roy also had similar computer issues – problems with his POS and label printer – but nothing out of the ordinary.

Product status

Baker said Kannavis was “very, very low” on MMJ on Monday, with only a few infused tablets left. He expected to run out by the end of the day.

He’s hoping to get new supplies in seven to 10 days.

“It could be sooner,” Baker said. “But from what we’ve learned from the industry so far, nothing’s written in stone.”

Askinazi said Potomac Holistics hopes to receive its next shipment of product Tuesday.

Roy’s expecting to have new product by the end of the week and plans to call patients when it comes in.

Grossman said Rise Bethesda still has some product available and is hoping it wouldn’t run out. Management is waiting on the cannabis supply chain to become more robust before opening the Silver Spring location.

"A spokeswoman for ForwardGro, the first cultivator licensed in Maryland, said it delivered drugs to processors last month and expects to send flower directly to dispensaries in the next week."

This is what I was referring to in earlier posts. Forward Gro was the first cultivator with a final license...I know, I was there when it was awarded and I know they began to grow plants at that point. But...plants matured, were harvested and prepared, and had no where to go as the state hadn't yet final licensed any dispensaries. So, with a shelf life regulation in place, they had to send to to processors for creation of products with longer shelf life and are now trying to catch up with the next crop of flower.

Of the three different strains that I did purchase, 1/4 of each, two of them are in canning jars with Boveda. I just can't see how these guys have had enough time to properly cure this herb (well, they haven't really, right?). I'm going to see if I can keep them set up like that for a while and if the product improves. The herb was a bit too dry to start and the packs are also bringing back a bit of sponginess to the buds.

The dispensary I went to (and like VERY much) in Fredrick is out of flowers but has .5 g carts...for frakin $90!! :yikes:
:rant:

I can't even find a picture of one out of the box to see if its just a cheap plastic cart or if this is a SS/glass/ceramic wick type cart. No info on how it was thinned or anything. Not for me for $90. Last May I was in WA and bought a very nice high end, refillable (if you like) cart, pretty sure it was 1 g, for $70

Maryland medical marijuana dispensaries are already running out of pot

By Fenit Nirappil, Aaron Gregg and Rachel Siegel December 6 at 6:35 PM
Marylanders interested in buying medical marijuana days after the launch of a state-sanctioned program may already be out of luck.

Five of seven licensed dispensaries that have opened since Friday said they have completely or almost run out of flower — the raw part of the marijuana plant that is smoked or vaporized — and have limited supplies of other cannabis products. The other two stores are limiting sales to a small group of preregistered patients.

Kannavis, in Frederick County, sold out of flower Saturday, its first day in business, but still has pre-filled cartridges that can be attached to vaporizing pens. Owner Jane Klink said she was hoping for additional marijuana shipments before this weekend and was keeping patients updated through the store’s Facebook page, website and email list.

“We don’t have confirmation of anything at this point,” Klink said.

The slow start was expected by industry players and regulators. Advocates are not sounding alarms yet but acknowledged the shortages can be frustrating for patients who have waited nearly five years since the first medical-marijuana legalization bill was signed into law.

2300MarylandMarijuana1206.jpg

“There have been shortages in other states just because the demand is so overwhelming, especially initially,” said Kate Bell, a lawyer for the Marijuana Policy Project.

[How to get medical marijuana in Maryland, and other FAQs]

Jake Van Wingerden, who leads a group of growers and processors as president of the Maryland Wholesale Medical Cannabis Trade Association, said it will take 60 to 90 days before Maryland’s legal cannabis growers can ramp up to fully meet supply.

So far, only Curio Wellness, one of the first growers to receive its license, has shipped marijuana to retail sellers, according to interviews with dispensary owners. A spokeswoman for ForwardGro, the first cultivator licensed in Maryland, said it delivered drugs to processors last month and expects to send flower directly to dispensaries in the next week. Van Wingerden and another grower, Green Leaf Medical of Frederick County, said they plan to start shipments in January.

“I think everybody would like the supply chain to be completely full right away, but that’s not realistic when you’re growing a crop,” Van Wingerden said. “We have a very big pipeline behind it. . . . What you’re seeing now is just the tip of iceberg.”

Christopher Garrett, a spokesman for the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission, said that regulators expected initial supply issues and that dispensaries will build up their inventories in the coming months.

“It’s a snowball rolling down a hill,” said Andrew Rosenstein, the chief executive of one of four independent testing labs that conduct quality checks on marijuana before its sold.

mdpot4.jpg
Marijuana patients register at the counter with at Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary on Friday in Cumberland, Md. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)
To buy medical marijuana, patients must register with the state commission and receive a recommendation from a doctor or other health-care provider. Nearly 550 health-care providers have signed up to issue recommendations.

[A grow-your-own-pot boom in the nation’s capital]

Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary, one of the first two shops to open Friday, has served about 150 patients and expected to run out of products Wednesday. Most high-demand products, including tinctures and creams, had yet to arrive.

“It’s a very tense situation,” said general manager Mark Van Tyne. “It’s a learning curve, and there’s a lot of growing pains going on right now.”

In Montgomery County, two dispensaries ran out of flower early this week and were awaiting shipments. Potomac Holistics in Rockville, which made its first sales Friday evening, closed temporarily Monday and then reopened Tuesday, stocked with vape pens and tablets. Rise Bethesda had received a delivery of vape cartridges provided by the processor Chesapeake Alternatives and still had tablets and elixirs from another company.

The Peninsula Alternative Health dispensary in Wicomico County and the Wellness Institute of Maryland in Frederick County still had flower because they were conducting soft rollouts, selling only to patients who had signed up with them in advance.

"A cultivation company that failed to win a license is arguing that the Maryland commission did not consider an applicant’s race when handing out the preliminary grower licenses – a requirement spelled out in the initial law legalizing MMJ."

Clearly there is a great deal of diversity in MD's program...that's not the issue with the company cited above nor with the MD Black Legislative Caucus's demands for race based set aside of licenses....its just a "where's my piece of the pie" money. There is no high moral ground here in this contention at all.

Chart: Diversity still a hot topic in Maryland’s medical marijuana industry

ShareTweetLinkedinRedditMail

Over 35% of those with an ownership stake in a Maryland medical marijuana company – and nearly 60% of those employed by MMJ businesses – are racial minorities, according to preliminary data released by the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission.

But some industry watchers believe those numbers don’t tell the whole story and still contend that the state failed to adequately ensure racial diversity when licensing MMJ businesses.

Four years after Maryland legalized medical cannabis, sales through licensed dispensaries finally began last week.

The licensing process for cultivators, however, was delayed by a legal challenge.

A cultivation company that failed to win a license is arguing that the Maryland commission did not consider an applicant’s race when handing out the preliminary grower licenses – a requirement spelled out in the initial law legalizing MMJ.

Though sales are underway and final licenses have been awarded, the issue of racial diversity in Maryland’s MMJ industry hasn’t been resolved.

State lawmakers will consider “emergency legislation” to expand the MMJ program industry when they reconvene early next year.

Here’s what you need to know about the situation:

• Maryland’s commission released diversity data in June based on survey responses from 79 preapproved MMJ businesses. A total of 321 business owners and 238 employees were considered as part of the survey, which will be conducted annually.
  • Most businesses participating in Maryland’s MMJ industry were included in the survey. Eleven growers, nine processors and 59 dispensaries provided demographic data, representing 73%, 60% and 58%, respectively, of all companies granted preapproval.
  • The survey data reflects the percentage of respondents who have any ownership stake in a business, not necessarily a controlling stake. For example, 10% of a business may be controlled by a racial minority, meaning the business has a minority owner but is not minority-owned.
  • A national survey of cannabis business owners and founders conducted by Marijuana Business Daily last August found that 19% of respondents who launched a cannabis business and/or have an ownership stake in a marijuana company are racial minorities.
Though Maryland’s efforts to boost diversity in its MMJ program have been criticized, the data clearly shows a higher rate of minority ownership in marijuana businesses relative to the national average.

It’s also important to note that Maryland’s diversity data refers only to plant-touching businesses, whereas the MJBizDaily survey includes ancillary companies – like marketing firms or law offices – where the rate of minority business ownership is higher.

Maryland commission approved final licenses for another 12 dispensaries bringing us up to 22 in the state.

Next approval opportunity will be on Jan 25th at the next meeting.

bringing us up to 22 in the state.
In the entire state... that is insane. There are more than that amount of dispensaries in the city of Detroit right now.
When the dispensaries first opened up in Detroit there were over 200. That number has culled down with crackdowns... but there are still a ton open. Of course, that may change after the 15th.

In the entire state... that is insane. There are more than that amount of dispensaries in the city of Detroit right now.
When the dispensaries first opened up in Detroit there were over 200. That number has culled down with crackdowns... but there are still a ton open. Of course, that may change after the 15th.
Easy, Mom....they are issuing licenses as the applicant's finish their buildouts and submit their compliance requirements. They have to be voted on, each and every license, at a meeting of the full commission.

Now, there are 82 remaining prelim dispensary licenses and a good number of them have their prerequisites in place and should get finals in the Jan meeting. But a number of them have not. They had until 8 Dec to complete their compliance prereqs and many have missed this. The state is NOT revoking prelim licenses for being late, but will canvas the remaining prelim licensees to determine the cause of delay and probability that that particular applicant will be successful. If it looks like they just can't get it together, they will pull the prelim and give it to somebody else in line.

Look, I'm not at all satisfied with Maryland's efforts on the MMJ program, but it is rolling and they are issuing licenses.

Besides, a bunch of the stores with final licenses are right close to me! LOL

Twelve new medical marijuana stores cleared to open in Maryland

Maryland’s marijuana regulators on Thursday approved 12 new dispensaries to operate in the state’s fledgling legal medical marijuana industry, bringing the total number of fully approved legal storefronts to 22.

At least 60 more dispensaries that received preliminary licenses are still waiting for final approval.

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission gave the final sign-off to Positive Energy in Worcester County; Harvest of Maryland, Bloom Medicinals and Herbology in Montgomery County; Nature’s Cure and Wellness in Cecil County; Pure Life Wellness and Medical Products and Services in Baltimore City; Revolution Relief and Zen Leaf in Howard County; Charm City Medicus and Temescal Wellness in Baltimore County; and Haven in Prince George’s County.

The state’s legal medical marijuana industry launched its first sales earlier this month following years of bureaucratic delay. Only a few of the state’s 15 approved marijuana growers are ready to deliver their crops to dispensaries and processors, so demand quickly outstripped what storefronts had on their shelves.

The state has more than 10,000 patients fully certified to buy the drug, the commission reported Thursday, and 712 health-care providers approved to write recommendations for marijuana.

06mdpotB.jpg

Jeremy Wells, 31, of Bel Air, Md., chats with Peg Nottingham, R, of Gaithersburg, as clients stand in line for medical marijuana at Potomac Holistics on Dec. 1. (Jahi Chikwendiu/The Washington Post)

Thursday’s meeting was the first official public appearance with the commission for newly appointed executive director Joy Strand, the third director to lead the agency in two years. Her most recent predecessor, Patrick Jameson, stepped down in November.

“If someone had asked me five years ago, ‘would I be here today?,’ it would have been the furthest thing from my mind, but I think God puts things in front of you when you’re ready to accept the challenge,” said Strand, a longtime health-care executive who is new to the cannabis industry.

“I’m still on my honeymoon, so I ask your forgiveness for any missteps,” she added.

Little primer here for anybody in MD who wants a med card and access

How to get medical marijuana in Maryland, and other FAQs

By Fenit Nirappil December 14 at 6:56 PM
Medical marijuana is finally being sold in Maryland, after years of delays. Here’s what you need to know:

Where can I get it?
So far, 22 out of 102 potential dispensaries are fully licensed. Seven of those are in Montgomery, Frederick and Howard counties, and there is one each in St. Mary’s County, Allegany County and on the Eastern Shore. Their names and addresses are listed here, under “Licensed Dispensaries” (as of Dec. 14, the list included only the first 10 licensed dispensaries. Another 12 were approved that afternoon, and the list needs to be updated).

How can I get it?
First, you have to register as a patient with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission. Then you need a certification from a doctor or other health-care provider registered with the state.

2300-MarylandMarijuana.jpg

With a limited supply and a market, many dispensaries are limiting initial sales to patients who have already have registered with them. And several stores were sold out or low on certain products, so you may want to call before you head there.

Does medical marijuana need to be smoked?
In addition to the dried-leaf variety, companies have plans to process medical cannabis into a variety of other products including capsules, oils, creams, vaporizing pens and a peanut brittle-like substance called “shatter.”

Maryland law does not allow edible medical marijuana products — such as brownies, cookies and gummies — which are popular in other states.

How do I find a doctor who will recommend marijuana?
Maryland doesn’t want unscrupulous medical professionals handing out phony marijuana recommendations for anyone who pays. Providers need to meet with patients in person and have a “bona fide” relationship with them before issuing certifications (which aren’t called prescriptions, for legal reasons).

MedChi, a statewide association of physicians, is among several groups that are publicizing partial lists of health providers (doctors, dentists, nurses, podiatrists and midwives)who can recommend cannabis.

mdmedmarijuana4.jpg

Green Leaf Medical CEO Philip Goldberg, second from right, and his brother and general counsel, Kevin Goldberg, right, inspect the marijuana plants at Green Leaf Medical, LLC in Frederick, Md. (Ricky Carioti/The Washington Post)

How much does medical marijuana cost?
Dispensaries have been warning patients to expect unusually high prices in the early stages of the program, from about $400 to as much as $680 for an ounce, which is about a one-month supply. Cannabis entrepreneurs say the price will drop as more marijuana becomes available from growers and more dispensaries open their doors.

Can patients from other states purchase marijuana?
The law allows nonresidents to participate if they are being treated in Maryland (such as cancer patients receiving chemotherapy). But the commission is not registering out-of-state patients while it reviews its policies. It is a federal offense to transport marijuana across state lines — even to the District, Delaware and Pennsylvania, where the use of medical marijuana also is legal.

What conditions qualify for treatment with cannabis?
The law lists these conditions as treatable with medical cannabis: Cachexia or wasting syndrome, anorexia, severe pain, severe nausea, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms, glaucoma, post-traumatic stress disorder and chronic pain.

But the regulations also have a catchall provision that allows physicians and other providers to recommend cannabis for patients if they think doing so is in the patients’ best medical interests.

Updated list of Maryland final licensed dispensaries reflecting the 14 Dec vote by the commisison

Licensed Dispensaries (As of December 15, 2017)
1.Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary (Allegany County)
License No.: D-17-00005
100 Beall Street
Cumberland, MD 21502

2. Chesapeake Alternatives LLC (dba Rise Bethesda) (Montgomery County)
License No.: D-17-000010
10401 Old Georgetown Road, Suite 210
Bethesda, MD 20814

3. Cannabus LLC (dba Potomac Holistics) (Montgomery County)
License No.: D-17-00003
1408 Physicians Lane, Suite 211
Rockville, MD 20850

4. Charm City Medicus (Baltimore County)
License No.: D-17-00013
717 North Point Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21224

5. Freestate Partners LLC (Howard County) (dba Revolution Releaf)
License No.: D-17-00015
9994 Washington Blvd. N.
Laurel, MD 20723

6. Freestate Wellness LLC (Howard County) (dba Zen Leaf)
License No.: D-17-00019
7221 Montevideo Road, Suite 150
Jessup, MD 20794

7. Growing Ventures LLC (dba Greenhouse Wellness) (Howard County)
License No.: D-17-00009
4801 Dorsey Hall Drive, Suite 110
Ellicott City, MD 21042

8. GTI Maryland LLC (dba Rise Silver Spring) (Montgomery County)
License No.: D-17-00007
7900 Fenton Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910

9. Harvest of Maryland Dispensary LLC (dba Harvest) (Montgomery County)
License No.: D-17-00017
12200 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852

10. K & R Holdings INC (dba Kannavis) (Frederick County)
License No.: D-17-00002
3362 Urbana Pike
Ijamesville, MD 21754

11. Maryland Compassionate Care & Wellness (dba Herbalogy) (Montgomery)
License No.: D-17-00011
106 N. Frederick Avenue
Gaithersburg, MD 20877

12. Maryland Wellness Access LLC (dba Remedy Columbia) (Howard County)
License No.: D-17-00008
6656-E Dobbin Road
Columbia, MD 21046

13. Maryleaf LLC (Montgomery County) (dba Bloom Medicinals)
License No.: D-17-00018
11530 Middlebrook Road
Germantown, MD 20876

14. MCNA Wellness LLC (Prince George’s County) (dba Haven)
License No.: D-17-00021
7501 Clymer Drive
Brandywine, MD 20613

15. Medical Products & Services LLC (Baltimore City) (dba Maggies)
License No.: D-17-00020
3317 Keswick Road
Baltimore, MD 21611

16. Nature’s Care & Wellness LLC
License No.: D-17-00012
4925 Pulaski Highway, Suite A
Perryville, MD 211111903

17. Peninsula Alternative Health LLC (Wicomico County)
License No: D-17-00006
400 Snow Hill Road
Salisbury, MD 21804

18. Positive Energy LLC (Worcester County)
License No.: D-17-000XX
9939 Jerry Mack Road
Ocean City, MD 219842

19. PureLifeMedical INC (Baltimore City) (dba PureLifeWellness)
License No.: D-17-00016
35 East Cross Street
Baltimore, MD 21230

20. Southern Maryland Relief LLC (St. Mary’s County)
License No.: D-17-00004
28105 Tree Notch Road, Suite 1D
Mechanicsville, MD 20659

21. Temescal Wellness of Maryland LLC (Baltimore County) (dba Temescal Wellness)
License No.: D-17-00014
1636 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, MD 21208

22. Wellness Institute of Maryland (Frederick County)
License No.: D-17-00001
4606 Wedgewood Boulevard
Frederick, MD 21703

“The fight isn’t over yet,” she said. “This program is brand new and we’ll improve it, especially with Washington DC right next door. For starters, we still need homegrow, and insurance coverage, and smaller-batch cultivators.”

Not as sure about insurance which then puts a corporation into the process. I clearly remember laying outside of an operating room, completely prep'd by the anesthesiologist, when my neurosurgeon walked up and said "hang on, I'm still arguing with your insurance company"!!!

Not sure I want United Healthcare anywhere at all around my MMJ program.

P.S. - Fisher and William Askinazi, in the picture below, definitely did NOT look that calm, collected, and happy at the end of the day and most of that was due to their own lack of experience and preparation.

In Maryland, Products and Patients Are Flowing to Dispensaries

Jay Lassiter
maryland-day-one-1280x800.jpg

Louise Fisher and William Askinazi, who are co-owners of Potomac Holistics, stand in the store in Rockville, Md., on Friday, Dec. 1, 2017, hours before they were scheduled to begin selling medical cannabis, among the first dispensaries in the state to do so. (AP Photo/Brian Witte)
As Maryland wraps up the state’s first month of medical cannabis sales, patients and dispensary owners are enjoying their hard-won access and learning from the industry’s early-day glitches.

'It was an amazing feeling after all this time. Mostly, patients are just happy to finally have a non-opiate option.'
Candice Junkin, Southern Maryland Relief

Medical cannabis sales opened on December 1, after a delay of more than four years. The state’s original medical cannabis law passed in 2013.

Despite some opening day product rationing and a few computer glitches, advocates enjoyed the milestone.

“Shortages in the beginning aren’t all that shocking,” Kate Bell of Marijuana Policy Project told Leafly. “Right now the businesses are trying to get product on the shelves as quickly as they can. Cannabis only grows so fast, and then [it has to go to] the lab for testing.”

$60 to $67 for an Eighth
Amy Mellen was feeling “optimistic” and “emotional” after her first purchase as a patient at Southern Maryland Relief, a dispensary in Mechanicsville, Maryland.

“It’s great seeing folks finally have access in the state,” Mellen said. “They’ve been working hard and waiting for over four years since it was voted in. It was emotional seeing folks who had waited so long for this. Many teared up at the counter, looking forward to the prospect of getting their lives back, and dumping some of the pharmaceuticals that robbed them of so much.”

Her first purchase included THC/CBD tablets and an eighth of an ounce of Jilly Bean in flower form. An eighth of flower fetched between $60-$67 during opening week.

An Oregon, transplant, Mellen noted that Maryland’s nascent program wasn’t yet West Coast caliber.

“The Jelly Bean smoked smooth, didn’t make me cough, and wasn’t harsh at all,” Mellen explained. “Seemed just a bit green to me. I know growers were pushed to get product on the shelf, so I can see how this could happen. As soon as we see more production I’m optimistic things will get better, but it’s gonna take some time.”

When nearby New Jersey rolled out their medical cannabis program in 2013, customers also shelled out $60 for an eighth of cannabis flower . Four years later, $60 gets you a quarter-ounce in the Garden State.

“I’m eager to try concentrates as they come out in the next few weeks,” Mellen added.

A Historic Opening
Candice Junkin directs community outreach for Southern Maryland Relief. “I’m very emotional,” she told Leafly. “It was an amazing feeling after all this time. To see all those faces—no one was turned away—and to know they might get some relief. Mostly, patients are just happy to finally have a non-opiate option.”

This region has been hit hard by the opiate crisis. Like many here, Junkin knows a number of friends, neighbors, and classmates personally affected by opioid overdose fatalities.

“Often the people who need cannabis therapy the most can’t afford it,” she said. “Meanwhile, there’s (insurance) coverage for prescription opiates for veterans, the elderly, and folks on Medicaid. So we need to bring that cost down. People in St. Mary’s County deserve non-opioid, non-toxic options for their pain.”

Junkin savored Maryland’s milestone “for about a day” on December 1. But she couldn’t rest on that victory with so much at stake.

“The fight isn’t over yet,” she said. “This program is brand new and we’ll improve it, especially with Washington DC right next door. For starters, we still need homegrow, and insurance coverage, and smaller-batch cultivators.”

“But our foot’s in the door. And that feels awesome.”

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/across-state-lines-medical-cannabis
22 Dispensaries for 6 Million People
Maryland’s program doesn’t allow patients to grow their own cannabis. Instead, they’ll rely on dispensaries for their medicine. Ten dispensaries opened their doors during the first week of December; a total of 22 were licensed as of Dec. 19. That’s not a whole lot to serve a state population of 6 million. Arizona, with a similar state population, has about 110 dispensaries operating around the state.

“In Maryland, there are very liberal qualifying conditions,” dispensary owner William Askinazi told Associated Press. Doctors, dentists, nurse practitioners, and midwives alike can recommend medical cannabis to any patient with a “condition that is severe, for which other medical treatments have been ineffective, and if the symptoms ‘reasonably can be expected to be relieved’ by the medical use of cannabis.”

This, in addition to ailments cited in the legislation including cancer, HIV/AIDS, seizure disorders, PTSD, and glaucoma.

There’s currently no relief for out-of-state patients, however. “Current law allows (out-of-state) patients getting medical treatment in Maryland to participate in the program, but the regulators dragged their feet on rules to implement that,” Bell said.

She expects regulators to revisit that issue in the near future. In the meantime, creating something like reciprocity would require additional legislation.

“Allowing non-residents to purchase cannabis in Maryland would have to be done by statute,” Bell said. “Because the certifying doctor has to be a Maryland doctor under current law.”

Maryland is a very small state. You needn’t drive far before you’re in an another state with different rules. In the Mid-Atlantic, many people cross multiple state lines every day as they go about their lives. That’s problematic for medical cannabis users, whose rights end where the next state begins.

Inventory Issues
Keeping the shelves fully stocked has been a challenge, according to Peggy Danielson, Southern Maryland Relief’s chief operating officer.

“The biggest shortage is flowers,” she told Leafly. “We’ll get a supply that lasts for a few days and then it gets low again and we wait for the next delivery. Right now, so long as we have some flowers for our patients, they’re understanding.”

Also in stock: vape cartridges, pre-rolls, THC/CBD tables, and elixirs.

“The half-tea, half-lemonade flavor is selling just great,” Danielson noted.

Concentrates are permitted by law but not available yet.

“Inventory at this point is not an exact science,” Danielson told Leafly. “I call the growers and dispensers and ask what they’ve got. Some growers haven’t had their first harvest yet. Once they’re all open, we’ll pick and choose. So now we have a little of everything”

Opening week presented technical issues as well.

“Right now, the big problem is the PoS at each dispensary,” she said, referring to point-of-sale software. “These systems, they’re new and not yet integrated into Maryland’s seed-to-sale software.”

“Still,” she added, “every day presents fewer issues.”

Next Up: Full Legalization
According to Maryland NORML’s Luke Jones, the best way to improve Maryland’s medical program is to legalize cannabis altogether.

“Marylanders will need to demand that legislators change the law,” Jones told Leafly. “Or that they let the voters decide through a constitutional amendment ballot measure, just like they did to approve the gaming industry in 2008.”

So don’t blink. Because the beginning of the end of cannabis prohibition in Maryland starts next month.

“Maryland NORML, and our partners in the Maryland Cannabis Policy Coalition, are planning to make an all-out push for reform,” Jones said. “And to make legal access to safe, convenient, affordable, and high quality cannabis for responsible adult use a legislative priority in Maryland’s 2018 legislative session.”

Ending 2017 on a High Note
As December drew to a close, Peggy Danielson from Southern Maryland Relief was feeling more upbeat.

“Each day gets a little easier and a little bit better,” she told Leafly. “Another grower comes on line with their first harvest and that’s progress,”

Unfortunately, not all of the early cannabis crops are passing muster with the state’s testing regulations.

Danielson was hopeful this week after learning that one grower’s initial harvest yielded 20 pounds of flower. That optimism was took a hit when only about one-quarter of the harvest was approved for consumption.

“Each time a new harvest hits, we hope for the best,” Danielson added. “It’s not ideal. Our choices and still limited. My greatest concern is for our sickest patients who need concentrates which aren’t rolled out yet as growers perfect flowers first.”

That included patients using cannabis therapy as an alternative to opiates.

“My fear is that without an option they can actually afford, patients will go from prescriptions opioids to heroin,” Danielson said.

Danielson is also dealing with geographical challenges. As the name suggests, Southern Maryland Relief sits on the southern tip of the state in Mechanicsville. Most of Maryland’s dispensaries are clustered in the Baltimore/DC region.

“Because of our location in Southern Maryland, it feels like we get the crumbs of what’s left over,” she said. “The grows in Maryland aren’t distributed evenly, geographically, and that puts us at a disadvantage.”

She remains undaunted.

“We’re still fighting hard to for local grows, more licenses to do that, to be more competitive and bring down the costs for our patients. That fight goes on in Annapolis in 2018.”

From Marijuana Business Daily.

Supply on the way in Maryland

The number of dispensaries approved to sell medical marijuana in Maryland nearly doubled, from 12 to 22, but it will be months before the supply is ample.

“It takes months, not days to bring that crop to harvest,” said Jake Van Wingerden, chairman of the Maryland Wholesale Cannabis Trade Association. “Everybody’s in different stages.”

The first round of harvests that provided flower to the newly opened dispensaries was just the “tip of the iceberg,” added Van Wingerden, owner of SunMed Growers, a Warwick-based cultivation facility.

That initial supply didn’t last long, as the first group of MMJ shops ran out of supply in a few days.

But at the time, only one cultivator, Curio Wellness, was supplying cannabis.

Fourteen cultivators have been approved this year, and now a handful of the growers have product ready for market.

“Everybody’s at different phases,” Van Wingerden said, “but we all received our licenses at about the same time.”

SunMed Growers received its license in August, and Van Wingerden expects his product to be harvested in about three weeks.

The growers he’s spoken with are in the middle of their crop cycles and working out the kinks in their systems.

“They’re all anticipating that they’ll have the first harvest and product available first quarter of next year,” he said. “I anticipate by the summer the pipeline will be full.”

He expects there will be more than enough growers to supply the Maryland market.

“But we’re in mile three or four of a marathon,” he said. “We’re going to need a year to let the marketplace catch up to demand.”

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back