Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
A surge in black market products? Laughable compared to before prop one.

To me a black market shows problems with the regulated markets. Most likely two problems. Availability and price.

The two provisioning centers closest to me are at $35 an eighth or $10 a gram. While caregiver products are about 1/2 that. That and the scarcity are the "real" problems.

These prices are similar in my area as well. Well this is nearly 50 miles from my area. Sometimes I go with a friend to a 'provisioning center', ugh just call them dispensaries MI!, she buys ounces for $200.00 - $250. Grams can be had for $8 - $15. The place is usually packed. mostly with disabled people that are in condition to grow for themselves, like my friend. They have cheap pre rolled for $5.00. Think those may be .1gr. Far more expensive. But, they have knowledgeable and caring staff. And the medicine is tested.
My friend is happy and we can't find caregivers near us.

The dispensary I used to frequent sells their flower anywhere from $25 - $40 an eighth. But they really get you by the gram; fro $6 up to $20 a gram... depending on what you choose. Those $6 grams are pretty sketch. And frankly? None of the weed looks have as nice as what I get from my caregiver for $180 for the first oz (with a free 1/4 per month) and subsequent ounces purchased that month being $170. Don't even get me started on their concentrate prices.... and often quality as well. You have to pay top dollar for anything decent.

I think that there will be backlash from patients in this whole thing. And our Michigan NORML has done a fair job of getting folk to speak up and contact state reps. Hopefully the caregiver system will stay intact. At least that's what I'm hoping...

I would buy ounces all day for $170. Black market prices here for WWN (weed with names) is $250 - 350 an ounce. the quality is sketchy.

Hate to disagree with @momofthegoons and @Shredder, but 'provisioning centers' aren't all bad. Understand the two of you are closer the situation than I am. If we could find a local care giver we would go there, at least to see how they do things.

I may diggn' this hole deeper, but that's what I do best.
I meant/was trying to say that provisioning centers can do some good. For some people.
My friend is an elderly family friend and I think she just likes getting out the house. And, the people at the center gush over how sweet she is. I do understand what both of you are saying though.

Last edited:
Hate to disagree with @momofthegoons and @Shredder, but 'provisioning centers' aren't all bad. Understand the two of you are closer the situation than I am. If we could find a local care giver we would go there, at least to see how they do things.
Did I say they were 'bad?' I don't recall saying that.... :thinker:

I think they can be expensive. And if the product isn't tested can be sketch. And..... I've found flower is often not the freshest. Often the concentrates are not purged properly; especially the cheaper ones.

But all that said they're like a candy shop lol. I get a little rush when I go. :biggrin:

I think they can be expensive. And if the product isn't tested can be sketch. And..... I've found flower is often not the freshest. Often the concentrates are not purged properly; especially the cheaper ones.

But all that said they're like a candy shop lol. I get a little rush when I go. :biggrin:

Okay, bad may not have been the best term. :doh: Wasn't saying that you were saying, I was just saying. :wave::nut::nut:

I agree. But compared with growing your own, or having a competent caregiver they don't look as good.

Kinda like craft beer and bud light.

Michigan AG joins group calling for marijuana businesses to have bank access

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...nts-help-pot-businesses-bank-cash/2880351002/

Lansing — Michigan is pulling in more than $1 million a month in tax revenue from medical marijuana businesses — and most of it is coming in the form of cold, hard cash.

“The biggest hurdle is the fact that it is considered, by federal standards, money laundering,” said Patricia Herndon, senior vice president of government relations at the Michigan Bankers Association.

The lack of banking options leaves cash-only businesses susceptible to crime, complicates state tax collections and limits opportunities for legal companies to expand, according to government and industry officials.

"The biggest thing is safety," said Jerry Millen, co-owner of the Greenhouse Dispensary in Walled Lake, which he believes is one "one of the very, very few" cannabis companies that has a bank. "I want to make sure my employees are safe, my patients and customers are safe, so I don't want to have a facility that just has a large amount of cash lying around."

Aiding pot tax payments

The Michigan Treasury Department is working with local banks to develop a system to facilitate tax payments from marijuana businesses, Treasurer Rachel Eubanks told lawmakers in recent testimony.

Medical marijuana companies are paying more than a combined $1 million a month in taxes, primarily from the state's 6 percent sales tax, and “collecting those dollars presents a unique challenge” because of the cash nature of the industry, she said.

The Treasury Department has a secure collection center in Lansing and is looking at putting one in Sterling Heights, Eubanks said. In addition, Treasury is working with Michigan-chartered banks to identify "creative solutions to make that process more secure,” she told lawmakers.

Holton voters narrowly defeat medical marijuana proposal

HOLTON TOWNSHIP, MI - Holton Township voters decided not to allow medical marijuana growers, processors and dispensaries within its borders during the election on Tuesday, May 7, 2019.

Constituents went to the polls on Tuesday to cast their votes regarding the zoning referendum.

The result is 251 to 232 votes to defeat the proposal, according to unofficial results posted by the Muskegon County Clerk’s Office.

Since voters turned down the measure, no medical marijuana operations will be allowed in the township.

The proposal would have allowed up to three dispensaries or provisioning centers, up to eight grow operations and up to eight processors. Medical marijuana operations would have been restricted to agricultural and commercial zones. The proposal also placed special land use restrictions on the facilities.

The township board voted to allow medical marijuana operations in July 2018, but a citizen-led petition effort resulted in Tuesday’s medical marijuana referendum.

However, the township board could amend its zoning ordinance to allow medical marijuana later, according to township officials.

The township has already collected about $45,000 in licensing fees related to medical marijuana, according to township officials.

Muskegon County constituents also voted on a county-wide 911 surcharge proposal and a sinking fund for Montague Area Public Schools during the special election on Tuesday, May 7.

@Shredder NIMBY is alive and well in Michigan. But you'd better bet they'll be holding on to those funds.....

Petoskey opts out of recreational marijuana

PETOSKEY — City council members decided Monday to have Petoskey opt out of the recreational marijuana marketplace.

In doing so, the council followed suit with most nearby communities.

Discussions of possible medical marijuana locations are still ongoing at the planning commission level, but council members, by and large, characterized their recreational marijuana decision Monday night as a safeguard against possible state overreach. Most said they’d be willing to revisit the topic again after Michigan’s licensing department releases its set of regulations for recreational marijuana businesses.

Both city manager Rob Straebel and city attorney Jim Murray — who was not at Monday’s meeting — recommended that the council opt out.

“If I understand this correctly, this is not an ideological action,” councilwoman Suzanne Shumway said. “This is an attempt — I hope it is a successful attempt — to preserve flexibility to protect maximum local authority. I think it’s important that our constituents understand that. If this does go through, it does not mean we are legislating out of fear. It would mean we are protecting our home rule, our local control. Is that how you see it?”

“That’s how I see it as well,” councilwoman Lindsey Walker said.

The vote passed by a 4-1 margin. Walker, in fact, was the only opposing vote, although she reached that decision after some procedural clarifications.

Councilman Grant Dittmar made the first motion to adopt the ordinance, and Walker seconded. However, when it came time to vote, Walker initially abstained from the vote. When Mayor John Murphy told her she could not abstain, she requested that she be allowed to place her vote later in the sequence, after some of the other council members had stated their vote.

When she was told she could not do that either, she chose to vote against the opt-out motion.

Earlier in the meeting, councilwoman Kate Marshall sought further clarification regarding the city’s options in the future.

Michigan’s Office of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs is currently in the process of putting together the rules and structure that parties will have to follow if they want to apply for a license to grow, sell or distribute marijuana on a commercial level.

The primary concern for many local governments is that, if they do not have a local regulatory ordinance in place when those rules come out, it could make them vulnerable to certain allowances falling beyond the scope of the city’s vision.

Marshall floated the idea of including a clause in the ordinance that would require council to revisit the issue once those rules come out. Straebel noted that Murray was more qualified to expound on that matter, but said it was not recommended.

“We do not recommend a sunset clause or some kind of expiration date on the ordinance,” he said. “Certainly a future city council could revoke the opt out ordinance at any point that they would like to. One of the issues we’re struggling with is if you had an ordinance that basically expired once LARA passed along its regulations, you would not have an ordinance with local regulations on the books.”

In a statement to the News-Review after the meeting, Murphy suggested things could change in the future.

“Petoskey city council is opting out at this time to ensure we maintain local control of zoning and licensing,” he said. “Upon LARA promulgating license and regulations for recreational marijuana, Petoskey city council will revisit the recreational marijuana issue.”

A couple of residents spoke out in opposition to the decision. Kim Wills, who has been a vocal opponent of other recent medical marijuana decisions by the city council, commended the council for taking this step.

“I’m just thankful that you are considering opting out,” she said. “I hope that you do opt out, and I sincerely hope that you do not invite marijuana into our city — any dispensary, medical or otherwise.”

Unsaid is 30 miles away citizens won a vote to let voters decide. Poor petoskey wants the money but not the weed. F@#$ em, lol.

Afaik Emmet county still takes kids out of homes over legal grows. That's how one party govt works. It sure isn't working for the people.

Whitmer signs bills to limit asset forfeiture in drug cases

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Law enforcement will be unable to permanently take ownership of cash and other property seized in drug cases unless certain conditions are met under legislationsigned into law by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer.

She enacted the bipartisan bills Thursday at a ceremony in the Capitol building with lawmakers, the state attorney general and others.

The laws target civil asset forfeiture, a practice that critics say has been abused to fund police activities.

Starting in 90 days, the laws will prohibit assets taken in suspected drug crimes from being forfeited unless the defendant is convicted or the value of the money and property is more than $50,000, excluding the value of contraband.

Whitmer, a former prosecutor, says citizens have not been treated fairly nor given adequate legal protections, "and that changes today."

Detroit dispensary launches first licensed pot delivery service in Michigan

2b762d5e-6019-45b8-be2d-7932719aeaf9-Pot-delivery-03.JPG

Utopia Gardens General Manager Donnell Cravens, left, makes a delivery to medical-marijuana patient Rashon Massey at his home in Detroit. (Photo: Todd McInturf, The Detroit News)

Detroit — One Detroit dispensary has made buying pot almost as easy as ordering a pizza.

"This is amazing," said 34-year-old Rashon Massey after Utopia Gardens LLC manager Donnell Cravens rolled up to his Detroit residence with $70 in joints of Elmer's Glue hybrid and Sunshine Daydream indica and a vape cartridge of Durban Poison sativa. "I never imagined Michigan would see something like this so soon. It's like ordering Uber Eats."

Utopia Gardens this week made its first medical marijuana deliveries. Its service is the first for pot approved by the state of Michigan. The licensed provisioning center is hoping the deliveries will help provide safe access and reverse a downward trend in sales as unlicensed deliverers have proliferated.

"The illegal dispensaries are beating the snot out of us," Utopia Gardens owner Stuart Carter said. "It's the black market, and it's only growing."

Customers looking to obtain tested marijuana from a licensed facility, however, now can go to utopiagardens.com or call 313-332-0544 to order cannabis. Patients must upload or text a photo of their license and state medical marijuana card. Delivery takes 35-45 minutes, according to its website.

There is no delivery fee, but there is a minimum order of $50 for Wayne County residents and $100 for those living in Macomb and Oakland counties. Under state rules, Utopia Gardens must deliver to the address on a patient's license.

The service only accepts debit cards so as to avoid its driver traveling with cash. It is available from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Patients also can schedule delivery ahead of time and have the option to pick up the order themselves at 6541 E. Lafayette St.

"We are literally just rolling this out," said Garrett Carter, Utopia Gardens manager and Stuart's son. "It means ease of access for medication for our patients who don't have the means of travel or are ill or cannot travel. We're just trying to provide as much access to the patient as much as possible without them actually having to come into the shop."

Rules adopted by the Michigan Joint Committee on Administrative Rules in November opened the way for licensed provisioning centers to deliver cannabis. The rules allow delivery of up to 2.5 ounces to no more than 10 patients at a time. Provisioning centers must log the marijuana and track their vehicles by GPS.

b785880a-5586-4f7e-9adb-2fc8e5051d77-Pot-delivery-01.JPG

Utopia Gardens General Manager Donnell Cravens fills out state-required paperwork before making a medical-marijuana delivery, Wednesday afternoon. (Photo: Todd McInturf, The Detroit News)

Utopia Gardens and two other licensed dispensaries received approval for deliveries last week. Detroit's BotaniQ expects to begin service next week, and Portage's Lake Effect Group LLC plans to launch in the next two weeks.

Utopia Gardens applied for delivery prior to the new year, Stuart Carter said, a process that took four months to secure approval.

The state had to set up the back-end information technology systems and make sure it worked with the statewide, seed-to-sale monitoring system, David Harns, Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Department communication manager, said in an email.

Carter says there are 205 delivery services that operate without a license in Michigan. That's up dramatically from around 80 in December, according to listings on Weedmaps, a website where marijuana retailers can post their menus and customers can leave reviews.

1a89a3a7-b8fb-4a65-8ba0-5ecbe592d5d3-Pot-delivery-04.JPG

Medical-marijuana patient Rashon Massey, left, shakes hands with Utopia Gardens General Manager Donnell Cravens after the delivery. (Photo: Todd McInturf, The Detroit News)

The Michigan State Police previously has said there is no single entity in Michigan responsible for enforcement when it comes to the marijuana black market and that it will continue to work with county prosecutors to determine when criminal enforcement is warranted. Such investigations may require significant manpower and resources.

Carter also is in conversations with state legislators to bring forward a bill akin to one that has been introduced in California, where the black market has exploded. The bill would require marijuana businesses to post their state license number online and in advertisements.

"I think that will cut illegal delivery services at their knees," Carter said. "They won't have a way to get their name out there."

More on the recent changes regarding caregiver sales and dispensary suppliers..... The dispensary named in the article is the one I used to go to; The Reef.

Regulators just cut off a large supply of medical marijuana for Michigan's legal provisioning centers

Steve Neavling
Nipped in the bud: Pot vendors say the state is putting the squeeze on their supply.

Some medical marijuana provisioning centers are worried about their ability to survive the booming black market after state regulators severely cut off their supply of cannabis products.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's new state Marijuana Regulatory Agency decided last week to "immediately" ban the centers from buying marijuana from any of the more than 41,000 state-approved caregivers, the primary source of medical cannabis.

Now, all of the marijuana products — from flower and hash to concentrates and edibles — must be purchased from any of the roughly 20 state-licensed corporate growers and processors whose prices are much higher than caregivers'. Under the law, caregivers may sell their products to the corporate growers and processors, but the added steps will mean a higher price for the patients.

The corporate growers focus primarily on flowers — or "bud" — instead of the ointments, tinctures, edibles, cannabinoids, and concentrates that many of the state's 293,000 medical marijuana cardholders prefer.

As a result, the operators of Michigan's roughly 90 licensed provisioning centers will have fewer cannabis products, which will cost more than those available on the budding black market.

"It is now very difficult for provisioning centers to not only remain competitive but to give patients products at a competitive price," says Evan Pilot, financial controller of The Reef, one of the largest and most respected dispensaries in the state. "I truly think some of these fully licensed businesses that have done everything right are going to shut down."

Michelle Donovan, a lawyer for Butzel Long who sued Michigan over the caregiver issue, agrees — saying the state handed a big victory to the black market.

"Licensed dispensaries are going to go out of business," Donovan says. "They aren't going to compete with the black market. The giant growers don't have the products that patients want."

State regulators said the switch to corporate growers is intended to "protect the health and safety of the public" because the cannabis products are required to be tested for contaminants. They added that caregivers were never intended to be permanent suppliers of medical marijuana dispensaries and were only permitted to do so because the cannabis shops were running out of supplies.

They also insist the corporate growers and dispensaries have plenty of tested cannabis available — 5,266 pounds — but would not provide records to back up their claims.

Whitmer created the new Marijuana Regulatory Agency to address a backlog of prospective growers and dispensaries, but critics say the new bureaucracy is getting off to a bad start.

The black market is flourishing, with dozens of illicit "delivery services" cropping up in metro Detroit alone because Lansing is not enforcing a law that was supposed to create a safe, regulated system.

Now that caregivers can't unload their cannabis at dispensaries, critics say they'll saturate the black market with marijuana at lower prices than provisioning centers. In other words, state regulators have effectively discouraged cardholders from getting their cannabis from dispensaries, which pay state sales tax, regulatory overhead costs for testing, and labeling and hefty licensing and attorney fees.

"These are all bottom-line costs that, at the end of the day, make your product more expensive to the public," says Erick Moir, owner of Greenstone Provisions in downtown Ann Arbor. "We're providing quality, safe medicine for Michigan residents."

Last week, Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borrello, who has handled many of the cases against the state's medical marijuana regulations, said Michigan's rules are "apt to sudden change, freakish, or whimsical."

The Marijuana Regulatory Agency's missteps come at a critical time. Next month, the agency is expected to roll out drafts of the regulations for recreational marijuana, which is expected to be a $1.5 billion industry. With a 10 percent excise tax, recreational pot could be a windfall for local governments, roads, and schools.

But if state regulations continue to enable a flourishing black market, Michigan will miss out on a much-needed source of revenue.

Updated 2:17 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7: This story was updated to clarify that caregivers may sell their products to the corporate growers and processors.

More on the recent changes regarding caregiver sales and dispensary suppliers..... The dispensary named in the article is the one I used to go to; The Reef.

Regulators just cut off a large supply of medical marijuana for Michigan's legal provisioning centers

Steve Neavling
Nipped in the bud: Pot vendors say the state is putting the squeeze on their supply.

Some medical marijuana provisioning centers are worried about their ability to survive the booming black market after state regulators severely cut off their supply of cannabis products.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's new state Marijuana Regulatory Agency decided last week to "immediately" ban the centers from buying marijuana from any of the more than 41,000 state-approved caregivers, the primary source of medical cannabis.

Now, all of the marijuana products — from flower and hash to concentrates and edibles — must be purchased from any of the roughly 20 state-licensed corporate growers and processors whose prices are much higher than caregivers'. Under the law, caregivers may sell their products to the corporate growers and processors, but the added steps will mean a higher price for the patients.

The corporate growers focus primarily on flowers — or "bud" — instead of the ointments, tinctures, edibles, cannabinoids, and concentrates that many of the state's 293,000 medical marijuana cardholders prefer.

As a result, the operators of Michigan's roughly 90 licensed provisioning centers will have fewer cannabis products, which will cost more than those available on the budding black market.

"It is now very difficult for provisioning centers to not only remain competitive but to give patients products at a competitive price," says Evan Pilot, financial controller of The Reef, one of the largest and most respected dispensaries in the state. "I truly think some of these fully licensed businesses that have done everything right are going to shut down."

Michelle Donovan, a lawyer for Butzel Long who sued Michigan over the caregiver issue, agrees — saying the state handed a big victory to the black market.

"Licensed dispensaries are going to go out of business," Donovan says. "They aren't going to compete with the black market. The giant growers don't have the products that patients want."

State regulators said the switch to corporate growers is intended to "protect the health and safety of the public" because the cannabis products are required to be tested for contaminants. They added that caregivers were never intended to be permanent suppliers of medical marijuana dispensaries and were only permitted to do so because the cannabis shops were running out of supplies.

They also insist the corporate growers and dispensaries have plenty of tested cannabis available — 5,266 pounds — but would not provide records to back up their claims.

Whitmer created the new Marijuana Regulatory Agency to address a backlog of prospective growers and dispensaries, but critics say the new bureaucracy is getting off to a bad start.

The black market is flourishing, with dozens of illicit "delivery services" cropping up in metro Detroit alone because Lansing is not enforcing a law that was supposed to create a safe, regulated system.

Now that caregivers can't unload their cannabis at dispensaries, critics say they'll saturate the black market with marijuana at lower prices than provisioning centers. In other words, state regulators have effectively discouraged cardholders from getting their cannabis from dispensaries, which pay state sales tax, regulatory overhead costs for testing, and labeling and hefty licensing and attorney fees.

"These are all bottom-line costs that, at the end of the day, make your product more expensive to the public," says Erick Moir, owner of Greenstone Provisions in downtown Ann Arbor. "We're providing quality, safe medicine for Michigan residents."

Last week, Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borrello, who has handled many of the cases against the state's medical marijuana regulations, said Michigan's rules are "apt to sudden change, freakish, or whimsical."

The Marijuana Regulatory Agency's missteps come at a critical time. Next month, the agency is expected to roll out drafts of the regulations for recreational marijuana, which is expected to be a $1.5 billion industry. With a 10 percent excise tax, recreational pot could be a windfall for local governments, roads, and schools.

But if state regulations continue to enable a flourishing black market, Michigan will miss out on a much-needed source of revenue.

Updated 2:17 p.m. on Tuesday, May 7: This story was updated to clarify that caregivers may sell their products to the corporate growers and processors.

This kind of makes it seem like black markets are a new thing, lol. How soon we forget. The black market has always been here.

I think the state had dollar signs in their eyes when they drafted the rules. None of my patients are rich, they're disabled and on SSD or SSI.

Maybe it will take dispensaries going broke to change things. But I think it's more likely the recreational market will bail them out. And patients forgotten again.

Medical marijuana home delivery now available in Michigan

Medical marijuana patients in Michigan can now get their medicine delivered to their door.

State officials issued the first three home delivery licenses last week to provisioning centers in Detroit and Portage.

“We know a lot of the patients we’re going to be delivering to -- a lot of them are in wheelchairs,” said Jevin Weyenberg, general manager of Lake Effect in Portage. “Convenient access to medicine -- you can never put a price on that. It’s life-saving for some people.”

Lake Effect and two Detroit shops -- BotaniQ and Utopia Gardens -- are the first in the state to be licensed for home delivery by the Marijuana Regulatory Agency. The agency took over control of licensing medical marijuana facilities from an appointed board on April 30 as a result of an executive order from Governor Gretchen Whitmer. In its first week, the agency approved six facility licenses and the three home delivery licenses.

The agency has specific rules for home delivery of medical marijuana. Each provisioning center must hire its own delivery drivers, carefully document its inventory and track the delivery route with a GPS system.

The provisioning centers can only deliver to a patient’s home address, and must obtain a copy of their driver’s license and medical marijuana card before the delivery. The delivery address must match the patient’s addresses on their driver’s license and medical marijuana card.

Patients can only receive the daily maximum limit -- 2.5 ounces of marijuana flower -- during home deliveries.

Provisioning centers can deliver marijuana to patients who live in a municipality where medical marijuana retail sales have been banned or where local officials have not opted in to the program, said David Harns, spokesman for the Marijuana Regulatory Agency.

Lake Effect is preparing to launch its home delivery program, Weyenberg said.

The provisioning center is taking security precautions, by adding a security camera to their delivery vehicle and equipping their delivery driver with a body camera.

"It's the first time it's ever been done in the state of Michigan legally," Weyenberg said. "We want to make sure everything is secure … we want to make sure we're a hard target for any criminal that might try anything."

Once they launch their program, Lake Effect will take orders over the phone and deliver to patients in Kalamazoo County.

On the east side of Detroit near Belle Isle, Utopia Gardens offers home delivery every day of the week. Patients can order online through their website and by calling the shop.

“Patients are getting tested product -- licensed, tested product. The quality’s there, the test results are there,” said owner Stuart Carter. “The patients are getting quality drugs and we’re delivering them in a safe manner.”

Utopia Gardens delivers to patients within a 20-mile radius -- including to Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham and Plymouth. The delivery driver does not accept cash -- but does accept debit card payments.

“We’re doing about two to three delivery batches a day,” Carter said. “If you ordered at 10, we could get it to you by noon.”

While there are websites like Weedmaps that feature home delivery options, most of those transactions are occurring outside of the state’s regulatory control.

Weyenberg and Carter hope their new status as licensed home delivery operators will cut into the black market.

“We want to be able to compete with them. They are taking some of the business via that route because there’s demand for it,” Weyenberg said of Weedmaps. “There’s just a massive amount of demand, and the demand manifests itself in a lot of different ways. Delivery is one of them.”

State police prepare to crack down on Michigan's marijuana black market
A Michigan State Police unit created to crack down on unlicensed medical marijuana activities is finally preparing to target pot's black market.

The Marihuana and Tobacco Investigation Section spent roughly its first full year of existence enforcing the tobacco tax and conducting background checks on applicants applying for a state medical marijuana facility license.

Now the 40 detectives and civilian analysts across the state will begin addressing illegal marijuana operations while continuing to aid the Marijuana Regulatory Agency in the licensing process.

The promised enforcement comes none too soon for licensed marijuana businesses, which have complained about facing unfair, illegal competition. Since the state legalized recreational marijuana in November, several unlicensed facilities have sprouted up without even trying to get licensed, said Detective 1st Lt. Chris Hawkins, commander for the section.

Unlicensed facilities and others that have operated temporarily during the transition to a licensed market have caused headaches for legitimate businesses such as Green Peak Industries, one of the state’s largest licensed medical marijuana businesses.

“It’s unclear where the black market ends and where the licensed industry begins at this point,” said Joe Neller, a spokesman for Green Peak. “The state should do everything to help law enforcement understand who’s legal and licensed and who’s not.”

From unlicensed facilities to “gifted” marijuana to unsanctioned home deliveries, the State Police has its work cut out for it as the growing regulated market gains firmer footing in the shifting industry.

“It’s a little more sophisticated black market now that holds itself out as legitimate business,” Hawkins said.

The tasks ahead
The Marihuana and Tobacco Investigation Section already is working with some local prosecutors to investigate illegal operators, which Hawkins sees as an impediment to the regulated market. The group has yet to charge any individuals in large part because there wasn’t a regulated standard to which the state could hold facilities.

With more than 150 licensed medical marijuana facilities and the last of the state’s temporary facilities expected to be largely resolved by June, the section finally is delving into black market enforcement.

The section also is examining ways to stop marijuana gifting, a way to purchase recreational pot before the rules are complete for adult use and the licensed recreational market is running.

“We see businesses out there that are selling a $10 box of chocolates for $50 and with that you’re getting 2 to 3 grams of marijuana,” Hawkins said. “To say that these businesses are exploiting a loophole is giving them a little more credit than they deserve.”

Unlicensed home delivery is another problem.

The state allows licensed provisioning centers to obtain permissions to make home deliveries. But the process is highly regulated, and the first provisioning center received permission last week to do deliveries.

Still, a week ago, Weedmaps included 205 marijuana delivery options available to Michiganians, said Stu Carter, owner and CEO for Utopia Gardens in Detroit. Utopia Gardens was one of the first to obtain home delivery approvals, a service Carter hopes will help with flagging business at the provisioning center.

“They’re stealing business that we’ve paid big annual licensing fees for,” Carter said. “This is a big deal.”

Carter wants Michigan to examine a law similar to one under consideration in California that would penalize sites like Weedmaps for advertising the illicit business.

Challenges to prosecution
Although the Michigan State Police section is more than willing to tackle the issues, Hawkins admitted that, in some cases, officers face an uphill climb in getting cooperation from prosecutors. Higher courts consistently challenged or overturned prosecutorial efforts related to marijuana after medical pot was legalized in 2008.

“We have to limit our efforts to where we know we can get prosecution,” Hawkins said, but noted those efforts are needed to ensure a successful industry in Michigan.

“Its hard to imagine this system succeeding if these black market operators are allowed to continue operations,” he said.

Muskegon County Prosecutor D.J. Hilson admitted some hesitance, especially when it comes to remaining gray areas in the law, but said there are some prosecutors willing to test the waters.

“There are areas even within the current recreational law that provide a lot of different loopholes,” said Hilson, who is president of the Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan. “I think there are some of us willing to run tough cases that bring these issues to light and let the courts interpret it.”

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel announced the formation of a marijuana legal work group this past week that will make recommendations to ensure Michigan’s marijuana laws are implemented as intended, through administrative rules or legislation. The group will ensure the state avoids the “years of uncertainty” after voters approved legalization of medical marijuana at the ballot box in 2008.

Nessel has supported expanded expungement for people with marijuana convictions balanced with enforcement priorities that focus on “truly bad actors.”

“We are fully committed to eliminating any black market operations of legal, regulated substances — whether it is cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana,” Nessel’s spokeswoman Kelly Rossman-McKinney said.

The efforts come as welcome news to licensed operators who have tried to bide their time and resources while waiting for illegal operators to get swept out of the market.

Will black market shrink?
Licensed businesses have had a tough time competing with unlicensed operators, who can sell their product at a lower cost because they don’t pay the taxes, regulatory fees or testing costs that licensed facilities do.

Nearly 50 temporary medical marijuana facilities have been saved from closure by Michigan Court of Claims Judge Stephen Borrello, who has kept them open pending licensing decisions by the state. The facilities had submitted license applications to the state by Feb. 15, 2018, but have still been waiting on approvals or rejections and possible appeals.

Once the unlicensed businesses are resolved by June 1, the black market is expected to shrink.

That’s the hope at least of Marijuana Regulatory Agency Director Andrew Brisbo, who told a Senate Advice and Consent Committee this month he envisions licensed marijuana will eventually cost less than black market pot. A successful regulated market, Brisbo said, will lead to the shriveling of illegal operators.

“If we set up a normalized regulated market where there are recognized products that consumers can rely on as being safe and consistent," he said, "I think that will draw people into that market.”

But legal operators like Carter don't expect much relief unless the state sets and enforces solid rules for cracking down on shady businesses.

“Greed works every time unless you put some laws in place,” Carter said. “I’m not asking the police to do any storm trooper breaking down the doors. I’m looking at an administrative law that would just put pressure” on bad actors.

Lansing medical marijuana 'provisioning center' applications begin soon

The second 30-day window for medical marijuana "provisioning center" applications in Lansing will begin next week.

Lansing City Clerk Chris Swope says he will open the period starting May 28.

Medical marijuana shops will be able to apply until Thursday, June 27.

The clerk's office says it has developed an online application process to help filter the expected large volume of applications.

Right now 19 centers have received conditional approval from the City of Lansing.

Manistee opts in to recreational marijuana facilities

MANISTEE — The City of Manistee has opted to allow recreational marijuana establishments.

Council members adopted Ordinance 19-14 Recreational Marijuana at 6-0 vote on Tuesday, following months of talk around recreational and medical marijuana laws. Council member Chip Goodspeed was not in attendance.

Previously, council approved an ordinance opting out of provisions of the Michigan Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act with a sunset date of July 1. However, the ordinance adopted on Tuesday will change that.

“While the ordinance that has been drafted is submitted prior to the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs final regulations, Ordinance 19-14 addresses the anticipated requirements at the state level and also addresses matters that are of concern to the city,” said George Saylor, city attorney, in a memo.

The ordinance authorizes marijuana establishments within Manistee and creates operational standards for marijuana grower, safety compliance, secure transporter, microbusiness and retail facilities.

In the ordinance, the types and number of establishments authorized include 12 marijuana growers; 12 processors; three micro businesses; three retailers; two safety compliance establishments; and two secure transporters.

There is also a nonrefundable municipal license application fee at $5,000, which is paid by each establishment applying for a license.

Also on Tuesday, council members unanimously approved the introduction of Ordinance 19-17, amending section “Chapter 866” of the City of Manistee Codified Ordinances to permit medical marijuana provisioning centers within Manistee.

A small change was made to the proposed ordinance.

“It was pointed out this morning to me in our restrictions under medical marijuana, we still had a provision that said you can’t dispense marijuana from a facility and also that it was restricted so that you cannot have exterior signage,” said Saylor. “We were not considering provisioning centers at the time.”

The locations of provisioning centers will be addressed with a zoning ordinance amendment, and will be the same in number as marijuana retailers under the Recreational Marijuana Establishment Ordinance.

Another reading is required before the ordinance could be adopted.

During the meeting on Tuesday, council members also unanimously approved hiring Caitlyn Berard as the Downtown Development Authority’s (DDA) new full-time executive director.

“I ask respectfully that city council approve the hiring of Caitlyn Berard as the executive director of the Downtown Development Authority,” said Valerie Bergstrom, DDA treasurer.

Berard introduced herself to council and mentioned her educational background, recently graduating from Wayne State University with a master’s degree in urban planning and development. Previously, she attained a bachelor’s degree in business and organizations from Albion College in 2015.

Currently, Berard serves as the economic development coordinator at the Albion Economic Development Corporation, having served as a Redevelopment Ready Committees, Project Rising Tide representative in Albion.

“With my experience in an RRC Project Rising Tide town, my urban planning position and my interest in serving Manistee, it would be an honor to serve with the Downtown Development Authority,” Berard said. “It was a pleasure to meet most of you during this process, and I look forward to working with you soon.”

In a letter to DDA board members, Kami Pothukuchi, Ph.D. professor of Wayne State University, stated the following about Berard: “I believe that Caitlyn’s enthusiasm for, preparation in, and commitment to economic advancement of Michigan’s urban communities suggest her readiness to take on the advertised position.”

Berard plans to start her new position in mid-June.

How new marijuana laws will be enforced on MI waters

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — The upcoming Memorial Day weekend will mark the first one in which Michigan has legal recreational marijuana.

24 Hour News 8 spoke with Ottawa County sheriff's officials to learn if people can smoke while on their boat. It was found, like everything else involving the new recreational marijuana laws, there is still a lot of gray area.

"It's something we are prepared for, and we are making sure we are prepared for it. But, I mean, it's new, it's new to us, new to all law enforcement, new to the people," said Ottawa County Sgt. Eric Westveer. ”So, there are going to be some 'what do we do here' type of things and that is where the court process will come in and the lawmaking, and making adjustments to the law and where it sits now."

Westveer said they talked with their attorney about the new laws and how they will enforce them. People can smoke marijuana in private quarters on a boat. If there is an indoor area or a lower deck, officials will treat it like the boater’s home.

Marijuana can physically be on the boat. If the amount of marijuana is within legal possession, boaters shouldn't get in trouble if deputies search their boat on the water.

The information above, just applies to inland lakes and how Ottawa County will enforce the laws. The Great Lakes, and all the bodies of water connected to them are considered federal waters. The U.S. Coast Guard enforces these waters and it abides by federal laws.

"Keep in mind too, under federal law marijuana is still illegal and the Coast Guard operates under federal law. However, they handle it will be different from how we handle it too, because it's still illegal for them under federal law," said Westveer.

Westveer said you can't drive your boat high. In that sense, it compares to several the rules on the road and the use of alcohol. It also isn't allowed to smoke out in the open, in a public space. All lakes and bodies of water in Michigan are considered public waters.

A good rule of thumb is if it's visible to authorities and other boaters on the water, you're in public. Officials said there won't be a grace period because it's on the public to know the law.

If there's any question of what you're doing is legal, it's best to ask an attorney first.

Lansing Township Board seeking to opt out on marijuana shops

LANSING TOWNSHIP, MI (WILX) - The Lansing Township Board of Trustees wants to opt out of allowing recreational marijuana shops in its jurisdiction, at least for now.

Tuesday night, the township's board approved the introduction of an ordinance that would allow such a move.

Board members say they have not had a chance to fully research the issue.

It is their desire to make a decision that they say is best for the community.

The board will make a final decision on this ordinance when they meet again in two weeks.

Reactions: BD9
How about a little trip in the 'way back machine?' :biggrin: I loved this article; probably because I lived through these times and knew/know some of the players mentioned in the article. But for those of you who might wonder who John Sinclair is or why he is talked about so much in the legalization movement, this article may explain a few things.

How Hippies Turned a College Town into 'The Dope Capital of the Midwest'

In the early 70s, far-left activists got the chance to govern Ann Arbor. The first thing they did was make weed essentially legal.

The series of events that would lead to the radical reform of Michigan’s cannabis laws, and the transformation of a college town into the most 420-friendly place in the country, began with two hippies, Louis and Peg, who turned out not to be hippies at all.

For four months starting in the fall of 1966, the pair had befriended members of the Trans-Love Energies collective, located at the Detroit Artists’ Workshop near Wayne State University. The building was a center of left-wing activism and agitational propaganda in the Motor City—home of the Fifth Estate newspaper, the local office of the Committee to End the War in Vietnam, and the future rehearsal space for revolutionary rock band the MC5. On January 24, 1967, police raided the building, looking for the property manager John Sinclair. “Peg,” to whom Sinclair had gifted two joints, was actually a Detroit Police officer named Jane Mumford Lovelace. “Louis” was not a candle maker, but her fellow cop Vahan Kapagian, who had grown his hair and beard out to blend in.

Police made more than 50 arrests, including Sinclair’s wife Leni, but Sinclair was the only one who faced serious charges after being let out on bail. A beat poet and obsessive of black jazz culture as well as a lefty agitator, Sinclair had attracted attention from the Detroit Police “Red Squad,” which monitored left-wing groups. But in their attempt to take him down, which spawned a years-long legal battle, the cops helped turn him into an extremely of-his-time icon.

Today, legalization is regarded as a mainstream position, with even right-wing politicians like John Boehner supporting the movementand joining the large multi-state operators now maneuvering to control the cannabis industry. Sinclair and his contemporaries helped create the conditions for that industry to exist, but they aren’t the ones best poised to profit off of it. One of Sinclair’s radical contemporaries, former Weather Underground leader Bill Ayers—who roomed with Sinclair’s fellow White Panther Milton “Skip” Taube at the University of Michigan—doesn’t think that Boehner should be able to jump to the front of the line.

“You know I heard an interview on the radio where they kept asking him, ‘Aren’t you sorry that a lot of people went to jail and lives were broken?’ He said, ‘No, because that’s the way I understood it then.’ Well that’s bullshit,” Ayers told VICE. “Legalizing marijuana needs to be part of something bigger. It has to include reparations, and that means accountability for the people that brought us to the catastrophic place we were. People like John Boehner.”

But Sinclair sees his side as having achieved victory in spite of those people. “They hate marijuana smokers. They used to put us in prison. Now the bulk of the population supports us, but they still haven’t adjusted to that. Pretty soon you won’t be able to get elected if you don’t support marijuana legalization,” the 77-year-old said. “It’s very satisfying to see the tables turned on these rotten, lying motherfuckers. All this horrible police state shit. It’s the fabric of daily life in America that we’ve got to rip apart and dispense of. That’s going to be the hard part, is picking this shit out of the culture and throwing it away.”

The pro-weed activists of Sinclair’s era won an important victory: Cannabis legalization has swept through all regions of the country at this point. But their story also shows how difficult lasting change can be.

1558541118543-GettyImages-85368341.jpeg

The MC5, John Sinclair (right) and their friends in 1967. Photo by Leni Sinclair/Michael Ochs Archive/Getty Images

Sinclair was once described by Detroit Free Press as the city’s “head hippie,” a figure with “wild hair” and a “drooping mustache.” He was a radical, a member of a generation of pro-cannabis activists who saw the drug’s use as part of their resistance to capitalism and the state, and who sometimes made it the object of quasi-religious fervor. Sinclair saw weed as occupying a similar place as sex in Orwell’s 1984. It set teenagers’ basic desires in opposition with the capitalist establishment, and was a key weapon in the “total assault on the culture” the hippie movement was attempting.

But the strident anti-authoritarianism of the Detroit Artists Workshop—someone hung a banner out of the window during the infamous 1967 riots reading “Burn Baby Burn”—led to what activists described as harassment from the police, and violence from those with anti-hippie sentiments. After a firebomb attack on the MC5 bus and a series of assaults on women in the group, Trans-Love Energies relocated to a house on Hill Street in Ann Arbor, near the University of Michigan.

It was there that John and Leni Sinclair left what was arguably their most enduring legacy, as part of a group of agitators who pushed the college town to adopt the most progressive pot policies in the country, making Ann Arbor, as the New York Times put it years later, “the Dope Capital of the Midwest.” There, Trans-Love dreamed of building a revolutionary enclave like the Maoist cadres they admired. Unlike Detroit, Sinclair says now, the cops weren’t going to bust down too many doors. And crucially, it was largely white.

“In Ann Arbor it was all the children of rich people,” Sinclair said. “The police were really precisely geared to not cause trouble for them. They were going to have to be lawyers, and doctors, and shit. So we took advantage of that. That’s why we went there. Because they only had ten police cars.”

Like campuses across the country, Ann Arbor in 1968 was teeming with radical youth, but something in the Trans-Love formula was especially compelling. In the MC5, the collective found a bridge between their leftist ideology, Sinclair’s Beatnik reefer worship, and the emerging blue-collar rock scene in Detroit. The band would play to a young, suburban audience at Detroit’s Grande Ballroom, then return home to Ann Arbor to do free outdoor concerts. As the band’s manager, Sinclair arranged for the MC5 to perform outside of the Democratic National Convention in Chicago that August. They returned to form the White Panther Party—named after the Black Panther Party—and called in their ten-point program for revolution through “rock 'n’ roll, dope, and fucking in the streets.”

The group even established a nonprofit ecclesiastical wing, the Church of Zenta, based around ritual use of weed and hallucinogens. “Zenta is the religion to end all religions,” Leni Sinclair said. “That’s how I look at it. Because it’s the only religion that says ‘yes’ where other religions say ‘no’ or ‘thou shalt not.’ Well hippies say ‘yes.’ Yes, smoke weed. Have sex. Be who you are... Anybody who smokes weed is a Zenta believer, whether they know the term or not."

In 1969, White Panther leaders, including Sinclair, were indicted on conspiracy charges related to a string of bombings in Ann Arbor targeting buildings associated with the military and CIA. FBI Section Chief R.L. Shackelford called the White Panthers “potentially the largest and most dangerous of revolutionary organizations in the United States,” and the group was targeted for surveillance under the agency’s COINTELPRO program. (The bombing case would go all the way to the US Supreme Court, which ruled that the government had illegally wiretapped the WPP; the charges were subsequently dropped.)

But the thing that drew the most controversy was Sinclair’s sentence, handed down in July 1969, for those two joints he gave the undercover cop: ten years in prison.

1558541728727-GettyImages-844197658.jpeg

Bobby Seale (center) speaks at the John Sinclair Freedom Rally in 1972, flanked by bodyguards. Photo by Leni Sinclair/Getty

The disproportionate penalty made him a cause celebre, with leading figures on the left—from Black Panther Party founder Bobby Seale to John Lennon—coming to his defense. At the John Sinclair Freedom Rally in 1971, Lennon and Yoko Ono performed a new tune, “John Sinclair,” that distilled the case to a sound bite: “They gave him ten for two—what more can the bastards do?”

Days later, Sinclair was released on bond and his conviction was overturned the next year, when the Michigan Supreme Court declared the state’s cannabis laws unconstitutional. The landmark case reduced the penalty for “simple possession” to a misdemeanor, and brought the maximum sentence down from ten years to one. The maximum sentence for sale of pot was reduced from life to four years. On April 1, when the new regime came into effect, Sinclair’s supporters gathered on Ann Arbor campus to celebrate his victory. The party has been held every year since, in what is now known as the Ann Arbor Hash Bash festival.

“The atmosphere after John got out of jail was one of great expectations for the future,” Leni Sinclair said. “We were on the national stage and had pulled off a very successful John Sinclair Freedom Rally. That is, until the government stepped in and ordered John Lennon and Yoko Ono to be deported, and they had to break off all political activity. But until then it was a feeling of euphoria, of things are going to get better from now on.”

After John's release from prison, the Sinclairs became less combative, re-christening the White Panthers the Rainbow People’s Party (RPP) and getting involved in electoral politics. Forming a coalition with the progressive Human Rights Party, the group won two seats on the Ann Arbor City Council. The New York Times noted the willingness of the new coalition to run against the local Democratic Party, rather than solicit its support, and attributed their success to grassroots campaigning and the ability to reach University of Michigan students. The new council members were Jerry DeGrieck, a student himself, and Nancy Wechsler, a central committee member of the Rainbow People’s Party. Both Degrieck and Wechsler assumed office at just 22 years old, and would later come out, making them two of the first openly gay elected officials in American history.

The most radical thing the new council members did was pass a law reducing the penalty for cannabis possession to a mere $5, about $30 in today’s money. The Times reported that campaigners had originally proposed a 25-cent fine, but compromised at $5 to cover administrative and court costs. Michigan State Police Director John Plants told the paper he would enforce state law in Ann Arbor, citing fears that the new law could transform surrounding Washtenaw County into a haven for drug trafficking. But the hippies celebrated.

“Because of state law, we couldn’t make marijuana legal within the city,” DeGrieck said. “So we did the next best thing.”

This made the city one of the first to treat possession as a civil infraction, like a parking violation. It marked a major shift across the country, and within a year Oregon moved to adopt a similar law at the state level. Coverage of Ann Arbor in the Times focused on the open consumption trend, with Sheriff Frederick Postill describing more stringent state laws as “unenforceable” owing to the prevalence of weed use in the city. which Police Chief Walter Krasny estimated at 1,000 pounds per week in 1972. “I guess, unfortunately, marijuana is becoming a part of our way of life,” Kransy told the Times.

Sinclair served as chairman of the RPP, helping broker alliances with more moderate elements of the coalition, and found consensus around the $5 pot law, which the group saw as a challenge to the power of the county sheriff department. But when moderates within the HRP expressed reservations about taking on the sheriff in local elections, Sinclair led the Rainbow People’s exit from the group, a move he now says he regrets.

But for a time, Ann Arbor really was something of a hippie sanctuary. A system of parallel power structures grew out of Trans-Love commune, including a securityforce, a drug counseling service, and a vast alternative media network which printed pro-cannabis propaganda like Sinclair’s “Marijuana Revolution,” which argued that drug prohibition had become one of the contradictions of capitalist society in the West, paving the way for post-scarcity communism.

“If the Democrats and Human Rights Party were in coalition we could pass anything, and we did,” Leni Sinclair said. “We appropriated money for a daycare center, a free clinic, a dental clinic, runaway children, a food coop, and for a community center, the People’s Ballroom. It was like utopia for a minute.”

At one point, Ann Arbor Sun advertised a mail-in contest where readers could win a pound of cannabis. The prize was presented by state representative and Democratic Socialists of America member Perry Bullard.

“We lit a fire in Ann Arbor that lasted for a few years,” John said. “and made it a lot of fun.”

Republicans took back control of the city council in 1973, and pushed through a repeal of the $5 law. That didn’t end the battle, however. At a council hearing in July, the Rainbow People swarmed the meeting, lighting joints in the council chambers. The following year, their Human Rights Party coalition brought the $5 pot law back as a ballot measure to amend the city charter. Ann Arbor voted to approve the measure in April of 1974, by a margin of 52-48. The law stayed in place until 1990, when the fine was raised to $25.

1558542932830-Copy-of-Splitscreen.jpeg

Left: Zenta letterhead designed by Gary Grimshaw. Right: a portrait of John Sinclair by Leni Sinclair/Michael Ochs Archive/Getty

The Sinclairs weren’t as successful in changing the laws beyond the Washtenaw County line, though they tried. Two efforts to legalize cannabis in Michigan failed in 1972 and 1974, when they couldn’t get enough petition signatures to appear on the ballot. In California, Leni sat on the board of directors for the nonprofit Amorphia, and funded the organization’s Proposition 19, which would have decriminalized weed, by selling hemp-leaf rolling papers. The proposal was defeated in 1972, receiving 33 percent of the vote. The couple returned to Detroit in the late 1970s, where Sinclair worked with the progressive Coleman Young administration to release the files of the anti-communist police unit that targeted him in the 60s. (The Sinclairs have since broken up.)

Michigan voters finally approved recreational pot in 2018, but it’s no longer regarded as a symbol of revolution. Instead, some now worry the cannabis industry is dominated by large companies and white men. Canadian firm Acreage holdings, whose executive board includes Boehner, has made a series of multimillion-dollar investments in Michigan, and in April, the state legislature passed a bill making it easier for large companies to acquire commercial licenses by limiting background checks on investors. In states like Massachusetts, which legalized cannabis in 2016, multi-state operators have managed to skirt regulations and position themselves to effectively control the emerging market.

Cannabis has gone from being a sacrament in John Sinclair’s eyes to a medicine under the law to a valuable commodity, if one with sometimes uncertain legal status. One sign of the changing times is the effort to eliminate provisions of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Program which allow patients to sign their rights to grow up to 12 plants over to a caregiver, who can possess up to 72 plants in total. Those who want to end the system say medical pot too often ends on the black market, and on May 2, they scored a major victory when a state regulator decided that caregivers could no longer sell their product to dispensaries. But that program also provides patients like Sinclair direct access to affordable weed—he currently receives two free ounces per month—and he sees the plan to end it as a hostile takeover.

“They’re opposed to this law that the people enacted. So they try everything they can to fuck it up by getting rid of the caregivers,” Sinclair said. “It’s not only their goal but the goal of the big-time suppliers, and growers, and distributors that pay for the $150,000 licenses. They want to get rid of the caregivers because they’re competition. If you can’t get it from a caregiver you have to get it from them.”

Sinclair himself says has never made any real money from weed, despite lending his name to various cannabis businesses over the years. After the new law came into effect in 2018, it was widely reported that Sinclair had partnered with a Detroit business to create Michigan’s first public lounge for recreational smokers. The deal soon fell apart, amid what Sinclair said was an attempt by the building’s owners to exploit his status as a cannabis celebrity. He currently survives on Social Security, and is in the process of signing all intellectual property rights over to the Amsterdam-based John Sinclair Foundation. “It’s in formation,” Sinclair said. “I’m trying to form a creative repository for everything I own, so that it will go down into history.”

Maintaining a firm grip on these rights is one of the ways icons like Tommy Chong and Willie Nelson have been able to cash in on their stoner status, launching their own lines of strains, glass pipes, and vape pens. But Sinclair seems to have no interest in capitalizing on legalization, even though his activism helped the country get here. After all these years, he professes not to care about money and property. “I don’t care anything about the industry,” he said. “I have no stake in the industry. I don’t care what they do. I just wanna get the weed.”

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back