Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law New York

Article is a bit shy on details....will home grow be allowed, do you know?
Maybe we will find out on Tuesday when he is supposed to lay it all out. Gov Cuomo mentions enough about NYers buying their weed from across state and the black market as part of his argument. The black market means local growers by my estimation. Want to know what laws are actually being presented. However, The news outlets aren't covering the legislative side of this topic as much. More of the'social justice' angle and the older pro/nay arguments is what is public is hearing.

NYS going green will be a tipping point I feel for other states on the fence. PA is considering Rec use.

As far as home grow, I found this snippet in one proposed bill.
NY State Senate Bill S3040C
(B) THE LIVING PLANTS AND ANY MARIHUANA PRODUCED BY THE PLANTS IN 15 EXCESS OF TWO POUNDS ARE KEPT WITHIN THE PERSON'S PRIVATE RESIDENCE, OR 16 UPON THE GROUNDS OF THAT PRIVATE RESIDENCE (E.G., IN AN OUTDOOR GARDEN 17 AREA), ARE IN A LOCKED SPACE, AND ARE NOT
VISIBLE BY NORMAL UNAIDED 18 VISION FROM A PUBLIC PLACE; AND

POSSESSING, PLANTING, CULTIVATING, HARVESTING, DRYING, PROCESSING 16 OR TRANSPORTING NOT MORE THAN SIX LIVING MARIHUANA PLANTS AND POSSESSING 17 THE MARIHUANA AND CONCENTRATED CANNABIS PRODUCED BY THE PLANTS;

Governor Cuomo State of the State Address

Two things were mentioned in the radio interview regarding MJ. The legal age being 21. Local governments can ban retail MJ shops.
Waiting for it to go live....

Cuomo unveils plan to legalize recreational marijuana use - Times Union
In State Of The State Address, Cuomo Predicts Legalizing Cannabis Will Generate $300 Million For NY: Gothamist
Marijuana in New York: How Andrew Cuomo plans to legalize, tax it
Most comprehensive article below.
Cuomo details marijuana legalization plan | The Daily Gazette
So, I'm going to try to find the original source where Cuomo's full plan was being put out. Really want to read the exact words and wording, instead of some lazy journalist's loose interpretation and sound off to that. :newspaper:
The last article did get a lot of it's point's from the State of the Senate.

Yea, it sounds all good. Social justice was attempted elsewhere with legal cannabis, but it didn't really pan out. My big thought is that recreational cannabis will be easier to get than medical is at this point. And allowing us to use flower?! We will see.

Snarky sycophant Politian's always publicly announcing how they know what is best for their local communities, While their Draconian mentality has been swayed by big money in their greedy beedy little eyes, NY'rs will not be legally allowed to grow some plants for personal use on their properties recreationally, time to go get my med card!
Talk about putting da Nanny in Nanny state, sorry for Ranting maybe this should go in FU thread. BTW is it me or did Cuomo Da Clown's last address seem "Presidential"?

While their Draconian mentality has been swayed by big money in their greedy beedy little eyes, NY'rs will not be legally allowed to grow some plants for personal use on their properties recreationally, time to go get my med card!
I was always wondering early on how NY law enforcement would handle all of us 'potential' growers that might need more security. Giving only medical patients the right to grow will cause other types of problems . (including a possible uptick in home invasions.:tinfoil:)

Even though the Guv has all this MJ studies (which is drawn from other legal states and their studies) and panel discussions, somehow despite that mountain of evidence, the concern of big Pot taking over, and people going to the border to get there MJ NOT in NY state , the entire subject of home growing went in favor of whom? The retail markets. OH REALLY! What a shocker? :mad:

Wish he could talk about the MJ issue without politicizing it further and act like its some sort of dig to the other party. or you could take a drink every time Cuomo says 'empowerment' during his speech. :hmm: Want to empower an MJ user? Then you let them grow their own. Can you grow your own tomato plants? Can you eat your own home grown tomatoes? Can you give a few to a friend?
what if your store doesn't sell green tomatoes and onlythe red ripe tomatos? See my logic here? :goofy:

I'm still watching for any bill that the state congress will put before Cuomo to sign. He could cave even further on that issue with enough pressure from the right people. He has 'signed on' to legalize it. So he wouldn't want to appear to be against any legislation that say perhaps a female senator has proposed. NY State Senate Bill S3040C I might write to a few myself. And the debate is still open long before the proposed April budget.
New York recreational marijuana: 4 issues to watch in Cuomo pot debate

I was always wondering early on how NY law enforcement would handle all of us 'potential' growers that might need more security. Giving only medical patients the right to grow will cause other types of problems . (including a possible uptick in home invasions.:tinfoil:)

Even though the Guv has all this MJ studies (which is drawn from other legal states and their studies) and panel discussions, somehow despite that mountain of evidence, the concern of big Pot taking over, and people going to the border to get there MJ NOT in NY state , the entire subject of home growing went in favor of whom? The retail markets. OH REALLY! What a shocker? :mad:

Wish he could talk about the MJ issue without politicizing it further and act like its some sort of dig to the other party. or you could take a drink every time Cuomo says 'empowerment' during his speech. :hmm: Want to empower an MJ user? Then you let them grow their own. Can you grow your own tomato plants? Can you eat your own home grown tomatoes? Can you give a few to a friend?
what if your store doesn't sell green tomatoes and onlythe red ripe tomatos? See my logic here? :goofy:

I'm still watching for any bill that the state congress will put before Cuomo to sign. He could cave even further on that issue with enough pressure from the right people. He has 'signed on' to legalize it. So he wouldn't want to appear to be against any legislation that say perhaps a female senator has proposed. NY State Senate Bill S3040C I might write to a few myself. And the debate is still open long before the proposed April budget.
New York recreational marijuana: 4 issues to watch in Cuomo pot debate

interesting points you bring up, regardless I'm keeping a suspicious eye on Cuomo with what he does.

I live in NY and have zero interest in a medical card, I'll stick with my undocumented pharmacists who have treated me very well.
Federal legalization scares me. It will introduce GMO seeds, dramatically increase penalties for dealing including tax evasion, and raise prices.
"It's legal only if you buy it from us."
Ideally leave things exactly as they are - largely decriminalized or implement full decriminalization (will never happen).

"Kevin Sabet, a former advisor to ex-President Barack Obama"

I can't even describe how contemptible I find this....Dems had a chance, Exec and both houses, and did nothing with it but the White House put this drug cold warrior on the payroll??? WTF?

"but let's also not consign our kids to a lifetime of addiction."

I really hate self-serving spin meister who wrap themselves up in the flag of "oh, what about the children" to justify them shoving their views down our throats.

Marijuana legalization fight heats up at Capitol

ALBANY — Groups opposed to the legalization of recreational marijuana in New York gathered at the Capitol on Monday and urged lawmakers to reconsider the idea, stressing that it would likely lead to increased illegal use by school-age children.

Kevin Sabet, a former advisor to ex-President Barack Obama, said today's strains of marijuana are much more potent than those that were available 40 years ago, and that the multitude of ways it can be consumed — including "edibles" like baked goods and candy — make abuse more likely.

"There are more pot shops in Colorado than McDonald's and Starbucks combined," Sabet said. "There are more folks from the tobacco and pharma industries involved in this industry of marijuana than we've ever had. ... So we're saying let's slow this train down."

Sabet was joined at the Capitol by representatives of the state PTA, the Police Conference of New York and representatives of groups that deal with drug and alcohol addiction. He noted that New York would be the first state to legalize marijuana use for adults through legislative action rather than a public vote.

"There's a reason why other legislatures have said no to this," he said. "Let's not throw people in prison for pot — we'll agree with many people on that issue — but let's also not consign our kids to a lifetime of addiction."

An hour after Sabet made his remarks, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo held a press conference touting an aggressive agenda that has led to passage in the past month of measures including women's reproductive health protections, stricter gun laws and the Child Victims Act, which aids victims of childhood sexual abuse. Cuomo noted that legalization of marijuana, which many Democratic lawmakers have resisted, is still a priority that he wants to accomplish in the first 100 days of the year.

Cuomo's proposal, introduced in his executive budget, would allow access only to those 21 and older, automatically seal marijuana offenses on a person's criminal record, and generate what he said would be an estimated $300 million in new tax revenues.

The governor's plan would tax the cultivation of cannabis at a rate of $1 per dry weight gram of cannabis flower and 25 cents per dry weight gram of cannabis trim. There would also be a tax on the wholesaler to a retail dispensary at a rate of 20 percent of the invoice price. A third tax — 2 percent — would be imposed on the sale of the invoice price.

Opponents claim legalized marijuana has not been a panacea or led to meaningful revenues in other states that have already allowed it to be sold from government-regulated retail stores.

The governor's plan will not allow New Yorkers to grow their own marijuana for recreational use. It will, however, allow home cultivation for medical use — a provision many advocates say is necessary to ensure access given the high cost of products in stores and lack of insurance coverage.

Last edited by a moderator:

California Investors and MedMen Drama Take Stage at Latest NY Legalization Hearing

Lawmakers’ budget hearing focused on the interplay between medical and adult use regulations, and protecting opportunities for New Yorkers.

New York State lawmakers held a joint legislative budget hearing yesterday to discuss Governor Cuomo’s proposed legislation for the legalization of adult-use cannabis. Senators and Assembly members raised a number of questions about the proposal, the majority of which were about licensing, equity programs, and how legalization for recreational use could affect the state’s five-year-old medical program.

Assemblymember Crystal Peoples-Stokes (D-141) raised concerns about the number of out-of-state companies aiming to gain a foothold in New York’s recreational market. “I live in Buffalo because I represent that district, and literally for the entire year of ‘19, I would say there’s been at least two or three meetings a week with potential investors from California who come to my office,” said Peoples-Stokes. “I understand what they see: There’s an opportunity here, a big opportunity. But at the same time, I need to make sure we’re protecting New Yorkers’ interests to be in business. How do you propose to do that?”

Counsel to the Governor Alphonso David, who fielded most of the questions yesterday, said the legislation aims to reduce barriers of entry in two ways: first, by prohibiting vertical integration, or when a single company controls its own cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and retail operations. While New York’s medical cannabis program permits vertical integration, the proposed legislation would prohibit the practice so as to increase the number of available licenses, thus providing more opportunities for those disproportionately affected by prohibition to enter the legal market. “We’ve broken up that structure in order to ensure that more people can participate in this new industry,” David said.

The prohibition of vertically integrated companies will not apply to current medical cannabis licensees, who will be given the option to enter into the recreational market in exchange for an investment in the program with an amount that has yet to be determined. “That provides us the additional capital that will be helpful to provide support to minorities and disadvantaged community members who may be interested in participating in this program.”

Peoples-Stokes asked David whether there would be a cap on the number of current license-holders that would be allowed to invest in the recreational program. “No, I don’t think we want to, in legislation, identify a specific percentage,” David responded. “We want to be careful that we’re not being overly restrictive or overly expansive.”

Assemblymember Walter Mosley (D-57) raised concerns about MedMen, a California-based company that currently holds one of ten medical cannabis licenses in New York and, with its $682-million dollar acquisition of PharmaCann, could hold two. MedMen has recently made headlines after former CFO James Parker filed a lawsuit in California alleging that company executives misrepresented finances, spent money extravagantly, and used homophobic and racist slurs. Since Parker filed, the New York Medical Cannabis Industry Association cut ties with the company.

“I know that MedMen is in the process of merging with another medical license holder in New York State. What type of impact is that going to have with that merger?” asked Mosley, who also asked whether the company will be allowed to enter the recreational market.

“One, I would not conclude at this point that the merger has been approved,” David responded. “The merger is still under review by the state. Second, the state is also aware of those allegations from California, and is reviewing those allegations to determine what impact, if any, it would have on their continued ability to function in the state,” he said.

What will happen to New York State’s medical cannabis program if recreational use is legalized was a central focus of the hearing. Senator Diane Savino (D-23) pointed out the discrepancy between the state’s medical program, which prohibits smoking cannabis, and the proposed legislation, which would allow recreational users to purchase flower product. “Do you not see a conflict? So, if I’m an adult-use purchaser, assuming we pass adult-use, I can purchase flower product for smoking, but if I’m a medical patient, I can’t smoke the product?”

“Correct. I think there’s a little bit of a conflict, but I think we also want to make sure we’re promoting public health as well,” said David, adding the state is looking at the issue.

While some legislators continued to question the purported benefits and possible dangers of legalization, most focused instead on hammering out the details and praising the potential benefits to public health, criminal justice reform and the state economy. “They actually used cannabis in the bricks for the pyramids in Ancient Egypt,” remarked Senator Liz Krueger (D-28), Chair of the Finance Committee. “Apparently, they held up very well. Just saying.”

New York's medical marijuana industry fears threat of legal recreational pot

ORANGE COUNTY, New York (WABC) --
There is a battle going on in the marijuana industry in the state of New York.

Supporters of medical marijuana claim that without protection for medical pot stores, they'll be driven out of business should recreational marijuana be legalized, as is likely.

"Our industry would simply evaporate. It would go away," said Jeremy Unruh of PharmaCann.

About 60 miles north of New York City in Orange County, nestled between the farms, the fear is that legalization of recreational pot will push the medicinal industry to extinction.

"The existing, the registered organizations are a very very important foundational piece," said Unruh.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo unveiled his proposal for recreational pot last month. The medical industry argues it doesn't allow them to stay competitive.

PharmaCann is one of only 10 medicinal production facilities allowed in New York, a highly regulated state.

The result is medicinal pot in the Empire State is expensive. And the theory is patients will abandon this product and opt for the less expensive recreational.

That's why medicinal is asking Albany to allow them to serve recreational pot as well.

But that clashes with social justice advocates who argue that targets of criminal enforcement, low-income minority communities, should reap the financial rewards.

"That market is going to be gigantic," said Unruh. "We're only a very small piece of that. There's still plenty of opportunity."

A spokesperson for the governor tells Eyewitness News: "As this process moves forward, we will continue to engage all stakeholders to ensure New York's medicinal cannabis program is supported to serve the needs of all existing and future patients."

"Senior citizens in general, I have older family members that use it, and they would be completely lost if they didn't have some sort of medical guidance to shepherd them through the path," said PharmaCann Director of R & D Chris Diorio.

There is of course also the issue of serving patients with the right product.

"If somebody had a poorly functioning liver and took cannabis orally or a capsule with cannabis oil orally, their metabolism is going to change the effect," said Diorio.

The governor's proposal is now being debated by the legislature, with an expected deal to be reached sometime before April.

Recreational marijuana: Police, doctors and educators fighting legalization in New York
The anti-marijuana mobilization comes as Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie, D-Bronx, suggested the political debate may extend beyond the March 31 state budget deadline sought by Cuomo.

Story Highlights
  • Marlboro cigarette-maker Altria invested $1.8 billion in a leading Canadian cannabis firm
  • Some anti-marijuana stances are connected to tobacco and alcohol companies investing in cannabis
  • Anheuser-Busch InBev, maker of Budweiser has $50 million tied to creating marijuana-infused drinks
  • When the program is fully implemented, state officials estimate about $300 million per year in taxes
New York’s recreational marijuana battle sits on the frontline of a generational war over American cannabis laws. As debate heats up, USA TODAY Network New York is compiling answers to key questions about legalized cannabis. The findings will be updated each Monday as New York considers joining the 10 states that allow adults to use marijuana.

A growing opposition movement across law enforcement, education and public health is attacking the politically charged push to legalize recreational marijuana in New York.

Many of the powerful advocacy groups suggest passage could lead to spikes in drugged driving and marijuana-related health risks ranging from smoking hazards to psychotic episodes.

LEGAL POT: Northeast states grapple with recreational marijuana bills in 2019 legislative sessions

Some warn New York’s sudden rush towards legal marijuana ignores how profit-driven corporations hooked generations of Americans on alcohol, cigarettes and opioids, killing millions and straining public resources.

“We have many different intoxicants in our society, none of them are particularly helpful, and I think adding one more is not in society’s interest,” said Dr. Thomas Madejski, president of the Medical Society of The State of New York.

Much of the pushback to Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s legal cannabis plan focused on the threat to children, despite the fact it would restrict use to 21 and above.

Cuomo proposed legalizing recreational marijuana as part of the state budget for the fiscal year that starts April 1, but some lawmakers are suggesting the program's approval could be delayed until closer to the end of the legislative session in June.

"I'm not willing to accept deferral, and I'm going try like heck to get it done in the budget," Cuomo said Feb. 5. "But were going to get it done one way or the other."

Opposition builds
In the meantime, opponents are urging Cuomo and lawmakers to reconsider their support.

“Even at 21, kids’ brains are not fully mature and they are at higher risk,” said Dr. Henry Neilley, an Albany-area pediatrician and a leader of the state branch of the American Academy of Pediatrics. “The biggest one is cognitive effects on the brain, and not only the younger they are when they start but the more they use marijuana, there is a long-term health risk involved."

967a39d3-6e6c-4729-b05d-0069259b0a81-IMG_E6835.jpg

Peter Kehoe, executive director of state Sheriffs' Association, speaks at a news conference in Albany on Feb. 7, 2019, about law enforcement's concerns with legalizing recreational marijuana in New York. (Photo: Joseph Spector, Albany Bureau Chief)

While opposition groups want more debate on the issue, they support expanded marijuana decriminalization, such as expunging criminal records for low-level offenses.

But some police officials said they continue to make arrests for marijuana, particularly sheriffs' departments near the border with Vermont and Massachusetts, where pot is legal.

"We took an oath as sheriffs of New York state to keep our communities safe, and by legalizing marijuana, we will become less safe," Oneida County Sheriff Robert Maciol, who is president of the state Sheriffs' Association, said during a news conference Feb. 7 in Albany.

NEW YORK MARIJUANA: Here's how Andrew Cuomo plans to legalize, tax it

LOBBYING: Here's the money behind politically charged pot war

Advocates undeterred
On the pro-marijuana side, advocates disputed that states with recreational cannabis have unique problems with drugged driving and teen use, calling many studies biased or flawed.

“States around the country are demonstrating that regulating marijuana works,” said Mason Tvert, a Marijuana Policy Project spokesman. “It allows folks to purchase marijuana safely, legally and from licensed, taxed businesses, rather than on the illegal market.”

If New York moves ahead, it would join 10 states that have legalized recreational marijuana. But legalized sales in New York wouldn't begin until at least April 1, 2020, according to Cuomo's office.

The Democratic governor's plans would create a licensing program for growers, distributors and retailers, impose a 20 percent state tax and a 2 percent local tax and allow counties and large cities to ban marijuana sales locally.

The goal, supporters said, is to limit low-level marijuana arrests that can lead young people, particularly minorities, to end up in jail, hurting their future.

When the program is fully implemented, state officials estimate about $300 million per year in taxes, adding to the country's already $8 billion-plus cannabis industry.

A majority of the money should go back into poor communities most hurt by the war on drugs, according to the Drug Policy Alliance:

“Given New York’s appalling history with racially biased marijuana enforcement, we must be bold and innovative in creating justice and equity," said Kassandra Frederique, the group's state director.

9f4e0b0a-950e-416e-aca8-44b0458cb23f-IMG_4022.JPG

Hannah Kenny, a Harrison resident who voted for marijuana legalization in Colorado, speaks about why she came to regret her vote at the state Capitol on Mon., Feb. 11, 2019. (Photo: Jon Campbell / Albany Bureau)

Big marijuana’s rise
Some of the anti-marijuana stances are connected to tobacco and alcohol companies investing in the cannabis industry.

For instance, Marlboro cigarette-maker Altria invested $1.8 billion in a leading Canadian cannabis firm poised for expansion stateside. Anheuser-Busch InBev, the maker of Budweiser, also has $50 million tied to developing marijuana-infused drinks.

Meanwhile, alcoholic beverage giant Constellation Brands, based in Victor, Ontario County, has investments in Canadian cannabis business Canopy Growth, which is building a $150 million hemp processing hub in the Binghamton area.

While leery of alcohol industry influence, Madejski emphasized the suspect ties between cigarettes and marijuana.

“It’s being promoted aggressively by this growing big tobacco morphing into big marijuana industry, which has new addictive products to sell to people,” he said.

Madejski noted Altria also made a $12.8 billion investment in e-cigarette maker Juul Labs, which is at the center of an ongoing federal government crackdown on youth vaping.

"Legalization absolutely is the right thing to do," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a state budget hearing Feb. 11. "But it must be done in a way that protects health and safety and does not create a new corporatization of a new industry that causes the same problems we saw with the tobacco industry and the pharmaceutical industry."

TIMELINE: Gov. Andrew Cuomo's changing position on marijuana

Efforts in Albany
Smart Approaches to Marijuana, a Virginia-based group which says it's funded by small donors and advocates, has formed a New York chapter aimed at preventing the commercialization of marijuana.

With opponents from the lower Hudson Valley, the group rallied Feb. 11 at the state Capitol, standing next to a banner that used Cuomo’s words against him when he called marijuana a “gateway drug” as recently as 2017.

45c75f52-0543-4d6f-8d22-41e031d059ea-IMG_4014.JPG

Stephanie Marquesano, an Ardsley attorney and founder of the harris project, speaks out against marijuana legalization at the state Capitol on Mon., Feb. 11, 2019. (Photo: Jon Campbell / Albany Bureau)

“We’re asking the governor and our legislators to simply slow down,” said Stephanie Marquesano, an Ardsley, Westchester County, attorney whose advocacy group, the harris project, is named after her late son who used marijuana before moving on to prescription pills.

“To that end, New Yorkers would benefit from a thorough examination of the states that have legalized marijuana for recreational use and carefully weigh the true impact.”

Hannah Kenny, a Harrison, Westchester County, resident who had voted for marijuana legalization in 2012 when she lived in Colorado, said she regrets her vote.

“Overnight, there were billboards up all over the place,” Kenney said at the news conference. “There were signs on the sides of buildings. The Denver Post was running constant articles about cannabis this and that, and the marketing push that was directed at children was like (snaps) that.”

NY POT LAWS: Here's how Andrew Cuomo plans to legalize, tax it

MARINJUANA: Cities, towns could opt-out under Andrew Cuomo's plan

Studying marijuana
Indeed, much of New York’s cannabis debate has built upon what’s happening in other states already allowing recreational marijuana.

Opposition groups cited various data from states like Colorado on increases in teen marijuana use and deadly crashes linked to stoned driving.

Most research, however, remains inconclusive as to the role played by marijuana legalization, a fact that some contend should be enough reason to delay New York’s race to legal cannabis.

Further, medical studies of cannabis have recently gained traction after long being hindered due to its federal Schedule I classification alongside illegal drugs like heroin.

New York has had a medical marijuana program since 2016, and it would face a significant overhaul if recreational marijuana is approved.

School groups and county health officials in New York said the state is currently fighting the opioid epidemic and looking to further lower cigarette use.

Legalizing marijuana would be a step backwards, they said.

"Why are we giving them (young people) any more harm with the possible access to recreational marijuana?" asked Kyle Belokopitsky, executive director of the state Parent Teacher Association

"This will not serve our public; this will not serve our state."

New York's proposal comes after a thorough, yearlong review of other states' experiences, Alphonso David, Cuomo's counsel, testified at a budget hearing Wednesday.

He said New York needs to act because other states have legalized marijuana and because of the growth in the illegal market. He said about 800,000 marijuana arrests would be sealed under the bill, while other cases could be reheard in court.

State officials testified they don't believe marijuana would be a gateway drug and could actually lower opioid abuse.

"We have the opportunity to establish a strong framework that addresses the significant social justice, economic justice, public safety and public health concerns that confront us today," David said.

WHAT TO KNOW: New York recreational marijuana plan overhauls medical cannabis too

MARIJUANA: Key issues to watch as Gov. Cuomo rolls out recreational pot plan

Protecting vulnerable New Yorkers
Some health experts proposed raising the minimum age to 25 from 21 to limit marijuana’s damage on developing minds.

Yet many asserted the potential normalizing of the drug through legalization endangers children, regardless of the minimum age.

Young people could inadvertently gain access to marijuana edibles or get addicted as teenagers, warned Sarah Ravenhall, executive director of the state Association of County Health Officials.

Sarah Ravenhall, executive director of the state Association of County Health Officials, spoke out against recreational marijuana during a news conference in Albany on Feb. 7, 2019. Joseph Spector, Albany Bureau Chief

"We are equally concerned about the lack for research available to demonstrate long-term health outcomes of such a program," she said. "This gap in evidence could hinder our ability to stand prepared to mitigate unforeseen health consequences."

The state branch of the American Academy of Pediatrics supported Cuomo’s plan for age 21 and above, as well as diverting marijuana tax revenue to substance-abuse outreach and health education.

But the group also urged lawmakers to consider other broad regulations to limit the harm to children, such as outlawing any cannabis products that could appeal to kids.

While pushing for 25 and up, the Mental Health Association in New York State cited studies that have shown marijuana can cause symptoms of serious mental health problems, such as schizophrenia, anxiety, depression and sleep disorder.

“Let’s not go and just pass it immediately, let’s figure this out and have real discussions that are framed to respond to the public policy concerns,” said Glenn Liebman, the group’s chief executive officer.

New York City Council Members File A Dozen Marijuana Proposals In One Day | Marijuana Moment
Well I've been asking 'where's the beef?' and things might happen on the federal level involving the banking side of things. 3 separate taxes and no informal selling.

Coumo's plan.
  • Establish separate licensing programs for marijuana growers, distributors and retailers, with a ban on growers also opening retail shops.
  • Impose a 20 percent state tax and 2 percent local tax on the sale of the drug from wholesalers to retailers, plus a per-gram tax on growers.
  • Allow counties and large cities to ban marijuana sales within their boundaries.
  • Ban marijuana sales to anyone under the age of 21.

I really hate self-serving spin meister who wrap themselves up in the flag of "oh, what about the children" to justify them shoving their views down our throats.
That type of soggy rhetoric and and even some of the rhetoric of the PRO side is nauseating. It would be nice to hear someone come to the defense of personal freedom instead of some of poorer short sighted excuses we've been hearing.

And NY legislators, give me a break with the nonsense about 'not being ready' to man up and get some long overdue reform passed. Yes there will be idiots at first. But NY already has a large percentage of experienced users.
New Yorkers Smoke More Pot Than Any Other City in the World, by a Large Margin: Study - NBC New York
Yes there has been impaired drivers before and we already have road tests in place to determine this. There won't be a spike of impaired drivers that requires a larger budget to have new special drug test equipment. Just properly enforce the laws we have.
:peace:

The money changers have indeed taken up residence in Solomon's Temple. There is one reason and one reason only why they oppose home grow...its because that's money that they can NOT take out of YOUR pocket and put into THEIRS.

Everywhere I look in American politics its mendacity and venal behavior. EVERYWHERE.

Marijuana Companies Urged Governor To Ban Cannabis Home Cultivation, Document Shows

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) took marijuana reform supporters by pleasant surprise when he endorsed legalization last year after previously calling cannabis a “gateway drug” that should remain prohibited. But for advocates, there was at least one major disappointment in store when he got around to revealing the details of his plan: the proposal, unveiled as part of his budget last month, would ultimately include a ban on home cultivation of recreational marijuana.

Home growing—seen by many as a commonsense policy that ensures access to cannabis for individuals who can’t afford retail prices, live too far from a dispensary or just want to flex their green thumbs—has been a feature of almost all legal adult-use marijuana systems operating in the U.S., with the exception of Washington State’s. So what’s behind the New York governor’s opposition to letting adults cultivate their own crops?

It could be that Cuomo took a page from the commercial cannabis industry. Literally.

Roughly a month before the governor announced the details of his legalization proposal, a New York-based marijuana business association—led by the executives of the state’s major licensed medical cannabis providers—sent a policy statement to Cuomo’s office in the interest of offering “some thoughts on various issues associated with a transition from medical to adult-use.”

One of those thoughts centered on the businesses’ desire to prevent consumers from growing their own marijuana.

Politico first reported the existence of the document, created by New York Medical Cannabis Industry Association (NYMCIA), in December. This month, Marijuana Moment obtained the full 29-page memo through a state freedom of information law request.

There are some broad recommendations that most legalization supporters would take no issue with, such as encouraging individuals from communities disproportionately impacted by prohibition to participate in the legal industry and leveraging partnerships to expand research into medical cannabis.

But a chapter titled “The Fallacy of Home Grow” makes very specific—and, in the eyes of advocates, misleading—arguments against allowing marijuana cultivation for personal use.

The group recognized that people want home cultivation because of “currently high prices of medical marijuana” or because they see it as an “individual civil liberty.” But according to NYMCIA, home cultivation “creates a significant public safety and black market risk.”

The industry organization listed five claims to support that argument:
1. Home grow will make it impossible for the state to eliminate the black market.

2. Home grow will make it impossible for law enforcement to distinguish between legal and illegal products, thus frustrating enforcement efforts.

3. Home grow will undermine the state’s harm reduction goal of ensuring that cannabis sold in New York State is grown without noxious pesticides or other contaminants.

4. Home grow will undermine the state’s public health interest in ensuring that cannabis sold in New York State is tested, packaged, and and labeled correctly.

5. Home grow will cost the state tax revenue, thus hindering the state’s ability to fund priorities such as drug abuse treatment and community investment.​

Per that last point, it’s entirely reasonable to assume that New York state would miss out on some sales tax revenue if residents decided to grow their own plants. But the other side of that dilemma is that it’d likely mean missed profits for cannabis businesses, including those affiliated with NYMCIA.

“From our perspective, it’s really hard to see any real reason—other than individual and corporate greed—to be against home cultivation at this point,” Erik Altieri, executive director of NORML, told Marijuana Moment in a phone interview. “There’s not a lot of rational concerns when it comes to allowing a limited amount of plants for an individual to grow at home.”

Melissa Moore, New York deputy state director of the Drug Policy Alliance, also pushed back against NYMCIA’s claim that a home grow option would make eliminating the illicit market “impossible.”

It’s the “fallacy of ‘The Fallacy of Home Grow,'” as she put it. It would make more sense to attribute difficulties reducing illicit market sales to state tax rates on retail cannabis, she said in a phone interview.

“It’s really disingenuous to try to say that it would not be possible to eliminate the illicit market if we allow for home grow. That certainly hasn’t been the experience of other states that allow home grow.”

Moreover, NYMCIA’s position is not consistent with that of other marijuana industry groups such as the National Cannabis Industry Association (NCIA), which argues that allowing home growing can actually benefit businesses.

“NCIA does not oppose limited home cultivation,” Morgan Fox, media relations director at the group, said in an email. “In fact, it can act as an incubator for people to develop skills which can be used in the legal cannabis industry, which benefits businesses as well as individuals looking to enter the market. Much like home brewing has helped spur interest the craft beer market, limited home cannabis cultivation can do the same in legal states.”

Who is involved in NYMCIA and why do they want to ban home cultivation?
Marijuana companies Columbia Care, Etain, PharmaCann, The Botanist and Acreage NY, Vireo Health and MedMen were all listed as members of NYMCIA in the memo to Cuomo’s office. (MedMen later acquired PharmaCann, and more recently, NYMCIA urged MedMen to leave the association amid a controversy over racist remarks allegedly made by the company’s executives).

(A separate controversy previously enveloped Columbia Care, which owns dispensaries and grow facilities in multiple states, after its Massachusetts-based subsidiary, Patriot Care, was discovered to be advocating against letting certain people with past drug convictions work in the legal cannabis industry).

Acreage Holdings, a cannabis firm that Republican former U.S. House Speaker John Boehner joined as a board member, declined to comment for this story through a public relations firm that represents the company.

A MedMen spokesperson said in a statement to Marijuana Moment that it “respects the right of those who choose to cultivate cannabis for their personal use,” but did not respond to specific questions about the company’s involvement in drafting the policy statement that urged New York officials to continue prohibiting such activity.

Jeremy Unruh, director of public and regulatory affairs at PharmaCann, told Marijuana Moment that the document “was our industry association’s first go at formulating some broad policy positions” prior to meeting with the governor’s office and that the company’s “position on home grow is far more nuanced than a simple approve/oppose.”

“Those policy points you have are sound, but our positions have evolved (and will continue to do so) as we’ve had a chance to socialize these concepts” with other stakeholders, Unruh said. He argued that New York has superior quality control standards in place for medical cannabis and that while the company recognizes “the nature and value of civil liberty” of home cultivation, allowing it would pose public health risks.

But ultimately, “Our position is this: We support the governor’s homegrow proposal,” he wrote in an email.

While recommending that lawmakers ban personal cultivation of recreational marijuana, Cuomo did include a home grow option for medical cannabis patients in his budget plan.

(Full disclosure: Several members of the companies involved in NYMCIA support Marijuana Moment through monthly Patreon pledges, or have in the past.)

Cannabis reform advocates aren’t buying NYMCIA’s claims.
It is quite obvious that NYMCIA’s affiliates have a financial stake in the shape of whatever marijuana law eventually emerges from the New York legislature. And their opposition to a home grow option is a point of concern for advocacy groups.

“[T]o advocate against home cultivation given all we know about how it works in practice from the industry side really just is kind of despicable and illustrates their greed, that they’re willing to sacrifice individual freedoms for the slightest increase in their profits,” NORML’s Altieri said.

The association’s recommendation also runs counter to what Marijuana Moment was previously told by the vice president of corporate communications for Vireo Health, Albe Zakes.

Asked about the memo following the initial Politico report that only vaguely described the document, Zakes wrote in an email that “our CEO and COO assured me that we’ve never lobbied against home grow and in fact support home grow as part of larger legislation, as long as it is regulated and controlled in a responsible manner, the same way medical or recreational markets would be, in order to protect consumers.”

(Vireo CEO Aaron Hoffnung signed an Internal Revenue Service financial disclosure form for NYMCIA last year as one of the association’s directors.)

Marijuana Moment sent a follow-up request for comment after obtaining the policy statement through the public records request, but Zakes said the he was unable to reach the company’s executives and so Vireo would have to decline the opportunity for further comment.

Advocates question whether NYMCIA leveraged its influence for the right reasons.
Is the worry really that a home cultivation policy would sustain an illicit market or complicate law enforcement activities in New York? Are concerns about the public health impact genuine? Or is it that cannabis businesses want the entire market to themselves?

“We need to make sure that we have a check on the potential greed of the industry that we can already see in these early stages based on this advocacy document,” Altieri said. “We need to make sure that the market in New York not only begins to address all the harms caused by the war on cannabis but also is oriented toward the consumer and not large industry interests.”

“Banning home cultivation benefits no one but corporations and large industry groups.”

Despite Cuomo including the home grow ban in his proposal, it seems that advocates may get more time to voice their concerns about the policy. Some leading lawmakers such as Senate President Andrea Stewart-Cousins (D) are increasingly doubtful that marijuana reform will make it into the final state budget, meaning that negotiations on separate legalization legislation could end up resulting in a law that allows consumers to grow their own cannabis.

Marijuana Moment reached out to NYMCIA itself, Cuomo’s office, Etain and Columbia Care for comment, but representatives did not respond to multiple inquiries by the time of publication.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back