Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Random Thoughts

AEFC4D78ADF949B9A511E21FE965B2E1.png

This is horrible. Really sickening. I hope I didn’t offend anyone. It offends me that someone would do that. I understand grief but is disrespectful to your beloved family member IMO.. Maybe I shouldn’t have shown the picture. It’s disturbing.

A FAMILY have divided opinion after turning their pet golden retriever into an ornamental rug for their living room.
The unorthodox memento of their beloved pet has ignited a fiery debate online after social media users were left stunned.
The family's unusual tribute left people questioning if it was touching or tasteless
The family's unusual tribute left people questioning if it was touching or tastelessCredit: chimerataxidermy/ instagram
Chimera Taxidermy transformed the late golden retriever into an ornamental rug
Chimera Taxidermy transformed the late golden retriever into an ornamental rugCredit: chimerataxidermy/ instagram
Australian company Chimera Taxidermy created the eccentric accessory for the mourning family so the pooch could "head home".
Owner Maddy, 29, explained they had preserved the family's pet as a pelt to create a memorial that will last a lifetime.
She said it had been "tanned and turned to leather so the fur won't fall out", allowing it to take pride of place in the customer's lounge.
The taxidermist compared the process to people keeping the ashes of a lost loved one, as the family "wanted to keep a part of him forever".
But the alternative keepsake wasn't welcomed by everyone - as many suggested it was simply disturbing to immortalise their dog this way.
An online debate ensued as social media users argued over whether the tribute was touching or tasteless.
One said: "What a cutie! You did a great job with him."
Another wrote: "Beautiful work as always!"
A third added: "I'm so glad more people are doing this now."
But others were left less than impressed by Maddy's creation, with a string of commenters discussing their outrage.
One said: "My memories give me peace, I couldn't do this, it would make it harder for me."

Another added: "This is interesting but certainly isn’t for everyone."
However, the business owner has defiantly defended her work, despite admitting the idea was "definitely not for everyone".
She told Yahoo News: "It's sometimes difficult working with pets compared to other animals ".
"But it's more rewarding to be able to help people with their grief and allow them to keep a part of their pet forever.

"Pet taxidermy has only really become more popular in the last five years or so, so it's a very new thing to see for most people.
"Some are more of a sentimental keepsake, others are on display resting in their beds or however their owners wanted them preserved".
The 29-year-old said she has been asked to preserve "pretty much any pet you can think of" including cats, rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, and goats.
Maddy regularly shares her completed work online and has been working in taxidermy since she was 18, before branching off to cater to pets exclusively three years ago."

Last edited:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back