Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Extraction SLUG 33 Rosin Forge

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Mom note: The first few posts have been moved from the Rosin Tek thread so as not to derail. We will use this thread to discuss the SLUG.33 rosin press.

Want a big, cheap adjustable flame? Get one of these;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flame-J...964354?hash=item4d5a823482:g:b9kAAOSw42JZIrvY
20170519140111780.jpg

Gas canisters available every where 4 pack for 5 bucks usually, I own 3 of these (good for campfires)

Last edited by a moderator:
Want a big, cheap adjustable flame? Get one of these;
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flame-J...964354?hash=item4d5a823482:g:b9kAAOSw42JZIrvY
20170519140111780.jpg

Gas canisters available every where 4 pack for 5 bucks usually, I own 3 of these (good for campfires)
I have something similar, but the inside is not the same - it has a big hot flame but not jet lighter enough for the slug....
The nozzle does screw off though so maybe I can get a different attachment

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-220g-handy-blow-torch-kit-with-butane-gas_p5910258

this is the one I have
I see now I look bunnings has other ones too

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-220g-pro-heat-blow-torch-kit-with-butane-gas_p5910259

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tradeflame-220g-butane-power-gas-heating-torch_p5910232

Yours are much better priced though...
Just depends on how the flame works for the slug
People all have different experiences with it and other torches, a few say they have good torches they used once they worked out the timing but eventually they bought the one suggested and are happier

I do not know if it is a better torch for the job and works at a good heat/timing ratio to produce better/more rosin, or if people just prefer that they can follow natty instructions without having to experiment and work it out for themselves....

At $7.50 au I guess yours is a cheaper way to experiment...

The whip it ion that is recommended is 29.99US so about 41AUS.....same as bunnings ones but no idea if they work the same

Last edited:
Some real life flame sizes;
IMG_20180916_140231.jpg
IMG_20180916_140113_BURST8.jpg

20180916_153523.jpg
20180916_153518.jpg
20180916_153259.jpg
Looks similar to what I have with my bunnings one - I do not use for the slug though as too big

In the videos of the whip it I think there is less of the outer flame and more of the hot blue inner flame than our ones.....

Also need to be careful of burning the paper with a too big flame that is harder to aim....

I think you could use the one you have there, but would need to practice as I have to get results and timing

Although that flame may be a little too big looking at it

This is a pic of my ebay torch that takes 2mins longer than the whip it ion I have it set on just over half way in this pic

I have found the whip it ion lite for 15USD on amazon or 20USD from whip it themselves which is 10 less then natty sells them for on his site with the slug

Last edited:
I have found the whip it ion lite for 15USD on amazon
An Amazon seller that ships to Oz, link please. It would make sense to go with the recommended torch from the seller to start with to get known results, but the torch I linked are so much cheaper to run.:thumbsup:
I think we need a separate Slug thread, where did you get yours?

I have moved the above posts to a new thread since we are talking about a specific rosin press. This thread is for discussion about the SLUG.33 Rosin Forge and the components used for it.

The SLUG.33 can be purchased here and claims to be "The worlds first & only gas operated rosin extractor."

Let the discussions continue.... :popcorn:

I got my slug from the actual site https://slug33.com/

The amazon that posts to aus may be a thing I did not check properly

https://www.amazon.com/whip-lightweight-ion-lite-torch/dp/B01LY5EYAG

Here is the whip it site...

.https://www.whipitbrand.com/category-s/168.htm

which is probably best option really as you know it is legit and only 5usd more, unless you bought the torch when you get the slug which will cost 29.99usd but maybe the post that is included with slug etc and seep kit will balance out

As I did not buy the torch at same time I may be better getting it from whip it

The vices that natty sells on his site with the slug are nice with the way they can turn upright for loading etc, but I saved money and just use my one ton irwin bench vice I have

I was thinking we may need a seperate thread the way the convo was going.....cheers @momofthegoons and sorry if we have been makng your job more difficult

Nice to see the Slug trail lead here...I’ve been tiptoeing around the edges of concentrates for a few years now, tinkering with tinctures and juice and such. Since my living situation has changed, I can no longer do most of what I used to do, or I have to do it after 01:00 when everyone else has gone up to bed.

What play I’ve made of concentrates has been entirely of my own making, it seemed that this was the road to cannabis as a medicine, and like @herbivore I don’t seek a particular high so much as an adequate daily dose. Into this flat spot came the Slug.

This thing appeals to me on a very basic level. It is brilliantly simple, the thing explains itself. The art of heating is the big variable. If skill and mindfulness and practice can achieve 20-30% return, then I can provide my own simply and quickly. I like the idea of getting a whole-plant extraction, this doesn’t just spray off the juice of hot trichomes, this subjects the entire matter to a full-bodied extract. I think this whole extract will have excellent effects as medicine.

I like the process itself, I find it rather alchemical, transforming vegetable matter to gold. I like that it’s a manual process, I like that there’s a groove, and when you find it, you’re golden. It suits me.

Speaking of alchemy: a chart posted @ skunkpharm shows that by the time herb reaches 200F, it’s already 87% decarbed. This means that the rosin is at least 50% decarbed at the finish of your press - if not much more. As 200F is the target temp for your loaded Slug, absolute decarb will almost certainly be closer to 80% conversion of THC-a

This means the rosin is orally effective as-is, while retaining a useful amount of THC-a, also medically effective.

Anyhow, I’m a new slugger, I’ve done 4 loads, one of them a rerun. My first run, I gained 0.33~ I’ve gained a fraction of that since. Heat is my issue. The rise in heat is supposed to go with the rise in pressure: the groove is in between them, getting the two synced.

Probably needs a theme song...

@felvapes posted this link: https://www.amazon.com/whip-lightweight-ion-lite-torch/dp/B01LY5EYAG

That’s four completely different versions of the “official” whip-it ion lite torches I’ve seen, counting mine. I wonder which version is the one NattyBushDoctor recommends?

Last edited:
Just been checking out the Slug store and noticed the following info abut their Whip-It torch;
*This product cannot ship outside USA
Bugger!

Just been checking out the Slug store and noticed the following info abut their Whip-It torch;
*This product cannot ship outside USA
Bugger!
What about the whip it site itself?

The biggest thing i have noticed after doing a few wasted runs was the heat @ClearBlueLou
I can hear it sizzleing for about 20 - 30 seconds before I stop torching gives best results

I usually get 10 - 15% back atm now I have practiced

I have got 20-25% once and 25-35% from pollen or grinder powder

Not the big results advertised - I am not sure if this is the material we have here in oz or I need more practice still or the unit....will see

I still like the slug for the off grid and portability of it and am happy with my purchase

I did notice that @Baron23 was getting only 15% with his electric press at times too though so that may be comparable....

Yet to get full 30% or with the pollen/hash would think could get 50% at least........

Last edited:
So I got my BS-400 today

The ion lite before it is rebranded or so I have heard

I call it the Bull-Shit-400....lol

It def has a smaller but more powerful looking flame

I will try a squish in a while and see if my heat times come down to 1.50 as @Nattybushdoctor suggests instead of the 3.50 I have had to do

I will see if the results vary at all too in yields and colour etc...

EDIT:

So I do not know if this is the same as the ion lite or not - I did read on FC that it is before it is rebranded

I ended up having to heat for an extra minute than with the torch I already had - 4.50 this time

Only as I am now good with my slug did I know to continue heating

I got the same yields as with my other torch, I do think the rosin is a slightly lighter colour though instead of darker

My pucks look similar too

Otherwise, same rsults but actually an extra minute of heat time - so still no where near the 1.50 suggested by @Nattybushdoctor
But I am able to use my slug and I do know how to "feel" and know when to crank and how long etc now....
It truly is an analogue unit where you need to work out how to get the best out of your own slug and torch

I believe most ppls issues are underheating though

Do not fear the sound of the sizzle....it seems to be a part of the process as is a little "smoke" and you oft need to keep heating past that point

It is a feel thing too....kind of keep heating till you finish cranking almost...you can feel it get "squishy" when it needs cranking and is doing it's thing....
If it gets "hard" to crank it prob needs more heat

I do not know if I can get it down to 1.50 nor do I know how this is possible unless that ion is it's own thing all together

However except in interest of wondering if I can get bigger yields with a different torch and quicker heat times - I am not sure that I need to

The extra min tonight seemed to give a lighter colour too so poss better?

Dunno

Still love mu slug and wish the rest of you luck in getting satisfying results

I mostly get 10 -20%

I think maybe that is the material...

I do think that the front of my pucks look like they may have more in them due to colour - I think this is because there is no heat on the backing plate

But I believe I am getting most of what I can from this unit

Last edited:
Do you have the Deuce? For the torch, I suggest putting the gas on exactly halfway, and play with distance to your Slug. At that gas setting, I put the tip of my innermost flame up against the slug itself.

I know you already know this, but as I remind you I remind myself.

Even my paltry results have yielded plenty of yummy goo, so I can wait a bit, but I’ve got to the point where I’m excited about it, I want to do more with it more of it, and I want to have a big party so I can show my friends my cool new trick...

Last edited:
Do you have the Deuce? For the torch, I suggest putting the gas on exactly halfway, and play with distance to your Slug. At that gas setting, I put the tip of my innermost flame up against the slug itself.

I know you already know this, but as I remind you I remind myself.

Even my paltry results have yielded plenty of yummy goo, so I can wait a bit, but I’ve got to the point where I’m excited about it, I want to do more with it more of it, and I want to have a big party so I can show my friends my cool new trick...
Yes I use the flame in the position you describe - or just off the slug with inner tip

The adjustment I started on half as I had read but ended up turning it up to pretty much full

I do not know why I have such long heat times but I am happy getting results and like you get excited at showing my friends and sharing dabs with them

Anyone still using the slug? It doesn't seem like there's much new info. I've been looking at the Deuce for awhile. Thanks for any additional info.
I slug regularly

I am looking to upgrade to a dabpress at some point when my wallet allows

But my deuce is keeping me going for now

I almost wish I had bought the fatmax now, but I get good results from the slug

You just need to work out your heating times etc depending on your torch

I heat to about 2.20-2.30 these days and have my squish technique down
Flame on full

Sometimes I will double press my pucks to get the rest out

It then depends on how close to 62-69% your bud is dried and how good your material it is

Kief/pollen is the greatest stuff to press :)

The slug does the job for price

I do want a dabpress though now

Thanks for the update. Dabpress seems super popular but I'm just getting started and not willing to drop that much $$ just yet. I'm used to heating with fire--torching my Dynavaps and cooking on gas stoves and campfires for years.
I was exactly the same as you

Still using my slug

It will work for you in the meantime

I just know when I can afford it I need a dabpress
It will make the entire experience easier and better I believe

It takes too long to do slug multiple times to get a stock of rosin

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back