Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy Tea? Coffee? Yes, Please!

If you like "Coffee Talk," there is plenty of it in this video.

Plus the woman in the video is jaw dropping gorgeous - that never hurts. I was watching it with lady friend and making sure to not mention it so she pauses it and says, "Will you just say it already? I know you think she's hot so just say it."

Nope. Not taking that bait. Although she proceeded to mention for the rest of the video how attractive Conan is. :mad:

At least she's having crushes on guys I respect.

Lady friend is a coffee freak and spent a ridiculous amount of money on her coffee maker and her espresso machine. They're like industrial grade. Coffee doesn't much register to my taste buds ... it all tastes the same to me.

I also don't like the smell - I know that's not an opinion most people share. I just hate how it will permeate an entire room so everybody has to smell it. It's like when somebody brings fast food into a room and then everyone has to smell it.

That was funny

His travel episodes are equally hilarious
The one to Korea is the best

Meet the Ghosts Behind a Japanese City’s ‘Haunted’ Coffee​

These yokai make a scary good brew.​

BY SELENA TAKIGAWA HOYOCTOBER 20, 2021
Meet the Ghosts Behind a Japanese City's 'Haunted' Coffee
Bone Woman is one of the yokai in the Haunted Coffee collection.

Bone Woman is one of the yokai in the "Haunted Coffee" collection. TSUGARU NET/ILLUSTRATOR: YOSHIMARU SASAKI

“IN AUGUST, THIS AREA IS packed with people visiting their ancestors’ graves,” notes our taxi driver as we pass through the temple district in Hirosaki on the way to the castle grounds. There are more than 50 temples between the adjacent neighborhoods of Shinteramachi and Zenringai, where 33 Zen temples dating from the 1600s stand shoulder to shoulder. It’s also a city full of specters, at least according to a popular local souvenir, “Tsugaru Haunted Coffee,” which draws on supernatural legends from Japanese mythology. Each packet depicts a ghost or monster haunting different parts of the city.

The single-serving drip coffee sachets are carefully packed by hand by Tsugaru Net, a “B-corporation” social enterprise in central Hirosaki that provides employment opportunities for people with physical, intellectual, and mental disabilities. Takeshi Kitaoka, the president of the 30-worker operation, says they knew they wanted to make a coffee product, but had no idea about the design or branding. Then he was introduced to Yoshimaru Sasaki, a reserved local illustrator.

Hirosaki castle in Aomori prefecture, Japan.

Hirosaki castle in Aomori prefecture, Japan. BOAZ ROTTEM/ALAMY

Sasaki’s series reimagines the city as one teeming with ghosts and spirits: crying in abandoned houses, wandering the parks, dancing in the streets, stalking the red light district, wreaking plague, and causing trouble. The spirits are both mischievous and malevolent—some are content to play tricks while others threaten to bring misfortune or pull you underwater. Together, the more than 50 tales form a ghost map of the city, attaching an eerie shade to familiar sights and reminding people of a half-forgotten oral history passed down in hushed tones and ominous warnings.

Oni Hitokuchi (The One-bite Demon)
Station embankment promenade
Written during the Heian Period, the One-bite Demon’s name derives from its reputation to kill and devour humans in one bite. It can devour a large (concrete) apple from the row of apple posts along the train station embankment in one bite, and with its giant fangs, it looks like it can crush rocks.

The One-Bite Demon is after the region's famous apples. Apple-motif embellishments are all over Hirosaki.

The One-Bite Demon is after the region’s famous apples. Apple-motif embellishments are all over Hirosaki. ILLUSTRATOR: YOSHIMARU SASAKI

“I’ve liked yokai [supernatural creatures] since I was little,” says Sasaki. “And I’ve liked drawing since I was young, but I wasn’t very good with scenery, so I practiced that. Then I wanted to add something to the scenery, and that something was yokai.” Kitaoka saw Sasaki’s work and was impressed with the level of detail.
Kitaoka says that it’s important that disabled people be integrated and equal members of the community. Many of Tsugaru Net’s projects are community oriented or have an aspect of hometown pride—other jobs include picking Hirosaki’s famous apples and doing Tsugaru-nuri, a traditional lacquer handicraft. So with Sasaki’s work as inspiration, they hit upon combining local ghosts and spirits with Hirosaki settings.

Futakuchi Onna (Two Mouth Woman)
Hiroka Fruit Market
Amid the long hair on the back of her head she has another insatiable mouth. According to Tohoku folklore, her true identity is a Yamanba, a mountain witch. The freshly harvested apples look so good that she can’t help herself and greedily munches them.
The Two-Mouth Woman is also after apples; many of the yokai reflect local concerns.

The Two-Mouth Woman is also after apples; many of the yokai reflect local concerns. ILLUSTRATOR: YOSHIMARU SASAKI

“I used Aomori’s folklore as background,” says Sasaki. “If we look at our local area, there are a lot of legends. Even in the immediate neighborhood, I found that there were stories that I didn’t know about.” Many of the illustrations depict a legend tied to a certain place, while others are regional spirits that Sasaki matches to a likely location.

“Aomori seems to have a dark image,” says Kitaoka. Historically, the prefecture was remote and sparsely populated, the isolation exacerbated by bitter winters. “Hirosaki is a strange place. There’s Hirosaki Castle, and there’s the area with a cluster of temples of all different denominations on one road. It’s a place with old things, it’s eerie. There is a spooky quality to being in the hinterlands of Japan. There’s a place called Osorezan in Shimokita Peninsula where deceased souls reside.” Ozorezan, which means Fear Mountain, is actually an active volcano with a Buddhist temple in the caldera, said to be a gate to the underworld.

The Giant from Onizawa
Hirosaki City, Onizawa
This giant is so big he can climb over mountains, but there’s nothing harsh about him. He is a kind-hearted farming god who created a waterway from the base of the mountain for the farmers. He’s celebrated at Onizawa’s Oni Shrine.

Since Sasaki’s creations are drawn from a survey of Tsugaru and Aomori supernatural folklore, the ghost map also serves as a reflection of local concerns, troubles, and neuroses. It’s easy to imagine that Amazake Baba came about in times of plague or pandemic, when people shut themselves in the house in fear and performed superstitious rituals to ward off evil vibes, or that the subsistence farmers struggling to survive in a remote and lonely landscape prayed for an assist from a gentle giant.

Hirosaki city street view light up at night in springtime cherry blossom season. Beauty full bloom pink sakura trees flowers with lights illuminate

Hirosaki city street view light up at night in springtime cherry blossom season. Beauty full bloom pink sakura trees flowers with lights illuminate KAEDEENARI/ALAMY

Shops all over Hirosaki sell the coffee, and you can buy it in the prefecture’s capital, Aomori City, too. There have been numerous local blog articles, a major newspaper piece, and an exhibition of the drawings at the prefectural tourist information center. Sasaki is surprised the series has attracted so much attention. “Yokai are not only cute characters, but can be brutal, scary or sad, and I’d like people to know that.” But the series is popular, perhaps because it doesn’t sugar coat the spirits’ darker, needier, and less attractive traits. The ghosts and monsters act raw, wild, and savage in ways that humans don’t often allow ourselves.

Amazake Baba (Sweet Sake Hag)
Ekimae 1-chome
She’s an old phantom who peddles to farmhouses on cold nights “Would you like some amazake?” “How about some amazake?” Well, it’s said if you answer her, you’ll get sick, so people hang cedar leaves or heavenly bamboo branches to repel her visits. The “cedar ball” that’s hung in the front of the sake cellar changes color notifying you of the maturation of the sake, and also serves as a talisman against evil spirits.

The Sweet Sake Hag.

The Sweet Sake Hag. ILLUSTRATOR: YOSHIMARU SASAKI

Sasaki draws inspiration from not only lore research but walking the city and imagining what may lurk in its corners. Kitaoka hopes that the coffee series will encourage people to have a second look at Hirosaki. “Hirosaki is a castle town with a quiet, static image. That’s what gives it the ghostly feeling,” says Kitaoka. “A ghost is something that we don’t really know if it exists or not, right? But in this town, it feels like they are quietly existing among us. For me, personally, I feel like they exist.”

There’s a Beautiful Molecular Relationship Between Cannabis and Caffeine​

Approached correctly, coffee and THC (or CBD) can benefit from each other

Cannabis-Coffee.jpg

Few mind-altering substances pair together as harmoniously as coffee and weed.

Whether you’re brewing one of the few THC-infused coffee brands actually available on the market or lighting up a joint with your afternoon espresso, nothing hits quite like a coffee buzz punctuated with a cannabis high. It’s known colloquially as a “Seattle Speedball” in some parts of the country (I’ll let you guess where).

There’s science here: Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant that blocks the neurotransmitters in your brain from making you feel sleepy. That caffeine high is the work of chemicals like cortisol and adrenaline that elevate your blood pressure and boost your energy supplies, causing feelings of power and euphoria. Weed, as it turns out, works similarly.

“Cannabis, like caffeine, enters your system through the blood/brain barrier,” explains Michelle Mendoza, Head Buyer at the Los Angeles dispensary Sweet Flower. “It binds to receptors in the endocannabinoid system where it produces responses based on the characteristics of the cultivar (strain) of cannabis consumed. For those cultivars that contain more ‘sativa-like’ properties — terpenes and minor cannabinoids — the effect would fall more inline with a stimulant and produce the same racing heart and heightened euphoric, alertness of coffee while a more ‘indica-like’ cultivar would produce a heavier body high and sedation.”

Mendoza is a huge advocate of weed, coffee, and pairing weed with coffee, pointing to the cultural and ritual similarities imbued in both cultures.

“I love the idea of coffee and cannabis together as a ritual practice,” she says. “I think for many the act of making coffee or rolling a joint can deeply meditative moments that give way to a larger practice of self care and wellness.”

Wellness is an interesting word to use when referring to cannabis — or coffee, for that matter. For my particular brain, ritual is my wellness. My favorite method of making coffee is pour over. I relish taking out my kitchen scale, scooping out 29 grams — give or take — of rich medium-coarse coffee, pouring in the water, and letting the smell wash over me as the coffee blooms. Similarly, prepping a joint involves a similar process: grinding, measuring, smelling — on some mornings you can watch the smoke and steam dance together in the air.

This interesting combination of caffeine and cannabinoids isn’t necessarily limited to THC. Meet Jim Higdon, a former journalist who ditched writing to start a CBD company with his brother. Despite his strong distaste for the initial CBD-infused-everything phase from a few years back, Higdon’s come to appreciate the combination of caffeine and CBD.

“I take my coffee with half and half, no sugar, and one of my full-spectrum gummies,” he says. “The effects they have on me personally are amazing — I feel stimulated and energized by the coffee and the CBD stops me from feeling jittery.”

This is all a work in progress. Finding the right strain, sourcing the right coffee, experimenting on how to best combine the two, etc. Mendoza told me her favorite combo is an Americano with a hint of cream and an evenly balanced strain of weed for an even head and body buzz.

For me, I’ll continue on with my afternoon ritual of sipping an iced Cafe Bustelo oat milk latte followed by a puff of terpene-rich Papaya Punch. It is *chef’s kiss* divine. But no matter how you enjoy weed and coffee, I urge you to indulge in the process and enjoy the one of the nicest (now somewhat legal) buzzes you can get.

Climate Change and the Dream of Growing Coffee in Sicily​

As temperatures rise, one family hopes to establish the world’s northernmost coffee plantation.​

BY LORENZO TONDOOCTOBER 25, 2021
Climate Change and the Dream of Growing Coffee in Sicily

The Morettino's coffee plants in Palermo, Italy.

The Morettino's coffee plants in Palermo, Italy. ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF MARCO SPATARO/VISUALYA WEB AGENCY
In This Story

This piece was originally published in The Guardian and appears here as part of our Climate Desk collaboration.
FOR MORE THAN 30 YEARS the Morettino family had been trying to produce their own coffee on a small piece of land in Sicily. And for 30 years they had failed.
But last spring, 66 seedlings produced about 30 kilograms of coffee, in a development that could turn the Italian island into the northernmost coffee plantation in the world.

Experts say the climate emergency is irremediably tropicalizing the Mediterranean agriculture of Sicily, where in August a monitoring station in the southeastern city of Syracuse took a temperature of 48.8C, the highest ever recorded in Europe. But for Andrea Morettino, whose family has been in the coffee business for a century, it is the realization of a dream.
“In the ’90s, after many trips across the world, my father decided to try planting some coffee plants in our small garden on the outskirts of Palermo, on land 350 meters above sea level,” says Morettino. “Usually, coffee plantations grow around 1,500 meters above sea level.”

“At the beginning it was a simple experiment, but after hundreds of attempts we began to notice the coffee beans were growing in number, up until last spring when an abundant harvest allowed us to process, dry, and toast them.”
“Do you know what is even more incredible?” he adds. “The plants grew in the open air, without the aid of greenhouses or pesticides. Totally organic. For us it could be a new beginning.”

Andrea and Arturo Morettino in their experimental coffee plot.

Andrea and Arturo Morettino in their experimental coffee plot.

In the homeland of espresso and cappuccino, the cultivation of Made in Italy coffee has always been an obsession. As far back as the early 1900s a group of agronomists from Palermo’s botanical garden, a research institute for the University of Palermo, tried to cultivate coffee. The dream was shattered in the winter of 1912 when, owing to the particularly low temperatures that year, the plants died.

“It is clear that the climate emergency and the consequent rise in temperatures have played a decisive role in the flowering of the coffee plants in Sicily,” says Adriano Cafiso, who has spent the last 15 years traveling around plantations in South America and Africa and is now collaborating with Morettino.

“The problem of the cultivation of coffee in Sicily is not the heat but the cold. For this reason we are already working on a series of greenhouse plantations. The idea is that the so-called daughters or granddaughters of these plants will be able to gradually adapt to the Sicilian climate to the point of even being able to flourish outdoors, as has already happened in the Palermo plantation.”

The project will take years before it can reach large-scale production, but Morettino is determined to create new coffee plantations on the island.

“Our dream is to create a 0km coffee and bring in coffee production for the first time within kilometers of continental Europe,” he says. “In recent years, due to climate change, Sicily has been evolving towards other crops that seemed unthinkable until a decade ago, and which also force us entrepreneurs to evolve.”

Sicily was for centuries one of the major producers of oranges and lemons, first imported by its Arab conquerors in the early ninth century. Yet in recent years citrus fruit production has dropped dramatically: Land in use for oranges has decreased by 31 percent in the last 15 years, and that for lemons has dropped by almost half as increasingly hot and dry summers mean the plants cannot take up enough water.

Coffee beans are inside the coffee cherry.

Coffee beans are inside the coffee cherry.

The signs of change had already been felt before the mercury hit 48.8C in August: In the summer of 2020 there was no rain for 90 consecutive days. Data collected by the Balkans and Caucasus Observatory put the average temperature rise on the island over the last 50 years at almost 2C, rising to 3.4C in Messina on the northeast coast.

Scientists say the climate emergency could sweep traditional agricultural crops from the Mediterranean, leaving growers to search for tropical alternatives. In the last three years the production of avocados, mangos, and papaya has doubled in Sicily, while in Palermo’s botanical garden researchers have registered for the first time the blooming of welwitschia, a native of the southern African Namib desert.

“There is a very high and imminent risk of desertification on the island, with many historic vines destined to disappear,” says Christian Mulder, a professor of ecology and climate emergency at the University of Catania. “In the long-term worst-case scenario, the whole southwestern part of Sicily will be climatically indistinguishable from Tunisia. This is forcing farmers to adapt to new crops. It is a process already under way. We must fight to avoid the worst.”

FOOD & DRINK

Why this Chinese tea costs more than $184,000 per kilogram​

Maggie Hiufu Wong, CNN • Published 22nd March 2022
FacebookTwitterEmail

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F220113004602-08-expensive-chinese-tea.jpg

Hong Kong (CNN) — A sumptuous three-course afternoon tea at Glassbelly Tea Lab, a fine-dining restaurant in Hong Kong, has just begun.
But neither the abalone nor the A4 Wagyu ribeye are the stars of the show.
It's the eight glasses of tea that lure patrons to this dark, wood-paneled space in the city's busy Causeway Bay neighborhood.

On the left, three shot glasses contain three different varieties of hot tea: plum-scented raw Puerh tea, Gold Needle Dian Hong (a relatively new black tea from Yunnan) and a peat-scented Rougui -- a type of oolong rock tea from the Wuyi Mountains in China's Fujian Province.
On the right, we have ice drip Full Blossom Rougui tea, served in five Riedel glasses.
"Please have a sniff," says the server. "With the cognac glass, you can get more of the fruit smell. With the Burgundy glass, you pick up more floral flavors."
At Glassbelly, a high-end tea pairing restaurant in Hong Kong, Chinese teas are served in wine and liquor glasses.

At Glassbelly, a high-end tea pairing restaurant in Hong Kong, Chinese teas are served in wine and liquor glasses.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
It's an unusual and modern way of sampling tea. But I'm here on a mission -- to find out why just a few handfuls of some types of Chinese tea leaves cost thousands of dollars.
Glassbelly specializes in oolong rock tea from Wuyi, which is one of the priciest tea varieties on the planet. It's a specific kind of oolong tea that grows on rocks on eastern China's Wuyi Mountains -- hence the name, "rock tea."
Famous rock tea varieties from this area include Rougui, Da Hong Pao and Shui Xian -- which translates to Cinnamon, Big Red Robe and Narcissus, respectively.
Glassbelly's most prized item is the Niu Lan Keng Rougui, a rare variety of Rougui tea from a valley brook of the same name in the Wuyi Mountains.
The retail price? HKD36,000 ($4,560) for 25 grams, or $184,615 for a kilogram, at the time of writing. Enjoying one brew of the tea at the restaurant costs HKD28,000 ($3,577).
To put this into context, a small 150-200 ml pot of tea is usually made with about five grams of tea leaves.

Tea auctions​

Rare teas have long been commanding sky-high prices in China. This isn't a new trend.
In 2002, 20 grams of Da Hong Pao -- also a Wuyi Mountain tea, once reserved for the emperor's lips only -- was auctioned for RMB180,000 ($28,000) in Guangzhou.
In 2009, a 100-gram Taiping Houkui (green tea from Anhui) was auctioned for RMB200,000 ($31,300) in Jinan.
More recently, in December 2021, Sotheby's Hong Kong launched its first-ever tea auction, focusing on vintage Puerh tea. A 330-gram tea cake (compressed tea leaves in a cake form) sold for HKD562,500 ($72,150).
Initially, I set out solely to find out why these teas continue to come with such high price tags. But during my research I discovered just how wonderful, secretive and complex the Chinese tea world really is -- and met some new players on the scene who are making bold moves to shake things up.

Making sense of Chinese tea​

First, let's start with the basics. There are six main types of Chinese tea: green, white, yellow, oolong, black tea and dark tea.
Each of them is categorized by how the leaves are processed and how long they are fermented. (Green tea is unfermented while dark tea is double fermented.)
Under each category, there are different varieties of teas named for a number of reasons. It could be the location it was harvested. Puerh tea, for example, can only come from certain places in Yunnan.
The leaves are important as well. Lapsang Souchong uses the entire tea leaf while Jin Jun Mei uses only the buds of the leaves.
[IMG alt="Glassbelly says that boiling water in a silver pot helps ionize it, making the tea silkier.
"]https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q...0111115858-03-expensive-chinese-tea.jpg[/IMG]

Glassbelly says that boiling water in a silver pot helps ionize it, making the tea silkier.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
"To understand why some teas are expensive, first, you have to understand what a good tea is," explains Wing Yeung, founder of Glassbelly.
This a surprisingly challenging question to answer in spite of the fact tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world.
"A major problem with Chinese tea is that there is no subjective answer to what good tea is. There are many sentimental stories and artistic elements when it comes to selling tea, but so little about the actual flavors of the tea," says Yeung, who has worked in the wine industry as well, specializing in Burgundy.
"If you look at wine and coffee, both are plant-derived beverages that have been doing so much better than Chinese tea in the commercial market."

Lack of a widely recognized system​

The lack of a well-recognized standardization system contributes to the pricing confusion.
Compared to wine or coffee, the market is less transparent, making it harder for consumers to know how much a particular type of tea should cost and why.
Yeung claims that her team has poured HKD40 million (around $5 million) worth of tea in pursuit of finding an answer to that question in the last decade, leading them to open Glassbelly in 2021.
The name Glassbelly was inspired by an ancient Chinese semi-mythological character, Shennong (the Divine Farmer).
According to legend, Shennong had a translucent belly. To help the world test the usage and toxicity of vegetation, Shennong would sample every herb he came across and record how it changed in his body, including tea.
Glassbelly takes a scientific approach to its tea pairings.

Glassbelly takes a scientific approach to its tea pairings.
Courtesy Glassbelly
Yeung hopes that her Glassbelly restaurant will help shine some clarity on the market, thanks to its modern and scientific approach to tea.
"The tea industry may have changed but the selling technique was stuck like it was 1,000 years ago. There were a lot of hushed business talks and secret deals," says Yeung.
Her comments ring true. Several years ago, I took a taxi ride in the city of Wuyi at night. The driver, knowing I was a tourist, slowed down his car to around 20 kilometers per hour, giving him more time to attempt to convince me he had some secret connections who would help me score some Da Hong Pao tea at a good price.
He was just one of several people who tried to sell me tea on that trip.
"Everyone in Wuyi would try to sell you the 'authentic Da Hong Pao' but there are only six mother Da Hong Pao trees -- and they aren't for sale. Authentic Da Hong Pao bred solely from the original trees is also very limited. So it's very hard to find out whether a tea is what the seller claims it is," says Yeung.
"We've had sums of money spent on exclusive 'high-end' tea leaves that turned out to be horrible. We learned along the way."

The flavor wheel​

Glassbelly's flavor wheel.

Glassbelly's flavor wheel.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
After a decade of traveling between Hong Kong and mainland China -- mostly to Wuyi Mountain -- Yeung has accumulated thousands of tasting notes to develop Glassbelly's version of a flavor wheel for Chinese tea.
"Wuyi tea is the Burgundy of tea, with so much complexity. It is what the industry calls a 'raw tea' (not fully fermented) so it keeps changing in your glass as well as in your mouth," says Yeung.
Rock teas contain over a dozen types of flavor profiles but there are a few your taste buds should be looking for -- citrus, sandalwood and cinnamon.
One Glassbelly workshop invites patrons to compare raw and aged Puerh tea, which is highly prized among tea connoisseurs.
"Raw Puerh tea smells like plum. Aged Puerh tea often comes with the smell of camphor mothballs and old newspaper, which some would say is normal. But if you sample it objectively by taste, your body will naturally repel these smells. I think it is a good sign that it isn't a good tea, like what marketers have been claiming," says Yeung.
"It's the smell of a Puerh tea aged in an unnatural way -- by adding humidity to speed up its aging process. It is an accepted practice in the industry but doesn't mean it is good."
A post on the restaurant's Instagram page says drinking aged Puerh is a "slow suicide."
This contrasts the many long-held beliefs in the market that aged Puerh is mild on one's body, while raw Puerh is shunned as too "cold" and harmful to one's stomach, according to traditional Chinese medicinal wisdom.

The untold truth​

[IMG alt="Puerh tea is another highly prized Chinese tea in the market.
"]https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q...0111115954-04-expensive-chinese-tea.jpg[/IMG]

Puerh tea is another highly prized Chinese tea in the market.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
Glassbelly's contrarian views have raised a few eyebrows in the industry.
But, Yeung says, "truth is always controversial. Controversy makes people reflect and think. Cultural progress usually comes after controversy."
Wanting to dig more into Glassbelly's claims, I approached respected Puerh tea collector, Raymond Ray.
"I totally admire their outspokenness. So gutsy," gasps Ray. "They actually said something not many in the industry are willing to say.
"But I'd say, good raw Puerh tastes like more than just plum. And not all aged Puerh is bad -- only those that aren't aged in a natural way, which is quite common.".
The story behind Ray's rise in the Hong Kong tea industry has made him a bit of a legend. About a decade ago, he fell sick from a spine disease, leaving him temporarily immobile.
A long-time wine lover, Raymond remembers taking his first sip of a good rock tea.
"It was like my tongue was coming back to life again. I now had something to live for," recalls Ray. With a sore back and weak legs, he traveled around Yunnan in search of the best Puerh tea.
"Some historians have confirmed that Yunnan is the origin of tea," says Ray. "I would sit in a car for a four-hour rugged journey to the mountains, then walked with a cane with my bad back."
That's where he got acquainted with the area's many small Puerh farms.
"You know, really good tea comes from old trees. When it can grow organically with roots big and strong enough that they don't need any chemicals and fertilizers. Farmers will have to climb up the tree to handpick these leaves," says Ray.
[IMG alt="Raymond Ray, founder of Yuencha Land, says that drinking Puerh tea has restored his once-frail health.
"]https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/q...0111120123-05-expensive-chinese-tea.jpg[/IMG]

Raymond Ray, founder of Yuencha Land, says that drinking Puerh tea has restored his once-frail health.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
Today, Ray stands tall and walks without any aid. He founded Yuencha Land, an appointment-only tea studio in Hong Kong that serves mostly organically grown raw Puerh sourced from mountain trees that are more than 400 years old.
"I think everyone should find a tea that's good for their bodies. Puerh is what works for me," says Ray, who credits the drink with restoring his health.

Marketing, rarity and tastes​

Much of the problem with artificially aged Puerh dates back to the post-WWII period.
Once a tea served to emperors, Puerh lost its luster over time. It was even dubbed "coolie tea" in the Canton area, suggesting it was a drink reserved for low-income workers.
Rather than aging it and letting it ferment naturally, sellers relied on the humidity in the Canton area to accelerate the process, which intensified the flavors. New techniques were developed to add extra moisture to the leaves and developing cultures to further speed things up.
The resulting musty, camphor smell became the signature of aged Puerh.
Today, there are different schools of thought attached to Puerh tea and its often high price tags, like with other Chinese teas.
"It is hard to untangle the history behind it," says Ray. "Marketing definitely plays an important role in many of these record-breaking prices."
Rarity is another factor, not just for Puerh tea but all varieties.
Some of the tea is so rare that there is no price tag -- the leaves are not for sale. For example, the original Da Hong Pao trees are state-protected. meaning they aren't harvested for commercial purposes.
"There is also a price for commercial tea and another price for artisanal tea. It's like the difference between house wine and collectors' wines," says Yeung.

What makes a tea good?​

For customers sampling these high-end brews, Yeung has an important reminder.
"Have a piece of food, or you will get tea drunk," she says.
Tea has a similar effect as alcohol, but with arguably fewer side effects. Consuming too much tea can make one relax and feel light-headed: tea drunk.
"Tea helps expand your palette during a meal. So I'd argue it is a more suitable drink to pair with food than coffee and wine. Your tongue will be more sensitive as you drink tea," says Yeung.
According to both Ray and Yeung, the senses will play an increasingly important role in the future of tea as more people disregard the classic tales and marketing techniques, purely wanting to pursue the all-important question -- how should a good tea taste?
"I'd look into these six categories: color, fragrance, taste, aftertaste, chi and nature," says Ray.
"The latter two are more abstract. Chi is the liveliness and complexity of a tea -- how it will change in your mouth, whereas nature is how the tea reacts with your body," says Ray.
Yeung doesn't give me an answer right away. Instead, she goes into the kitchen and returns with a server and a pot of tea leaves.
Water boils in a vintage silver pot -- which is said to boost the ion in the water and make the water's texture silkier.
The tea is brewed in a violet clay pot that helps keep the leaves warm. Once the temperature drops, the leaves will contract and release fewer flavors.
The brewing is quick. The tea, a clear red hue, is poured out almost as soon as the pot is filled.
Consuming too much tea can make one feel light-headed.

Consuming too much tea can make one feel light-headed.
Maggie Hiufu Wong/CNN
"Drink it. This is the Niu Lan Keng Rougui," says Yeung. She gathers the team around to have a sip of the next brews. (A batch of good tea leaves can be brewed up to 10 times on average.)
"We don't brew a Niu Lan Keng Rougui every day so everyone is excited," she says with a smile, pouring about HKD28,000 (or $3,577) worth of tea into everyone's mini tea cups.
The first sip numbs the tongue. Then the flavors of the citrus and the wood we sampled earlier come in slowly but in a much more condensed and gentle form.
"It should be clear, fragrant, 'gan,' harmonious and alive -- it changes on your tongue," says Yeung.
Gan, often translated as sweet, is a Chinese word that describes a specific kind of sweetness and freshness that's accompanied by a hint of bitterness.
We grow quiet for a moment, trying to focus on the long aftertaste of the complex tea.
"I think this is how a good tea should taste. And here's what you were looking for -- the answer to why tea could cost so much," says Yeung. "But much great tea is still cheaper than a bottle of fine Burgundy. So is it expensive, really?"

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back