Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Lunacy The Beats

Judith Hill | KNKX Studio Session​

The first KNKX session performance at our temporary location at Avast! Studios was a family affair. But it wasn't without a little stress as Judith Hill (@JudithHillMusic) shared her uniquely funky music with us.Hill's quartet on this trip to Seattle included drummer John Staten and Hill's parents, funk veterans Pee Wee Hill and Michiko Hill on bass and keyboards. The singer, guitarist, pianist and composer was in the middle of several shows that were taking their toll on her voice.This powerful instrument wasn't up to Judith Hill's recording studio standards, but her band and the small crew at Avast! were knocked out by her incredible talent.The session kicked off in high gear with the ferocious funk of "The Pepper Club" from Hill's 2018 album Golden Child. The tightly wound funk carried the swagger of Prince, who produced her debut album, and included a charming piano solo from Michiko Hill.Judith Hill sang her passionate blues song "Burn It All" from her most recent album next, with Michiko playing a churchy organ backing. It's a classic story of a "sugar man" who turns out to be a "dirty dog" as Hill puts this character in his place. Fuzzy bass and oddly effective synthesizer sounds from Hill's parental bandmates, and her own rocking guitar solo and yearning vocals bring a fresh energy to the song.Concluding the session, Judith Hill played both piano and guitar on the extended ballad "Give Your Love to Someone Else," also from Baby, I'm Hollywood. This epic, soulful singer-songwriter effort is a showcase for Hill's incredible vocal power as well as her knack for a melody. Decorating the song's story of a failed relationship with a potent guitar solo, Hill was commanding and authoritative as a singer and bandleader.She is also her toughest critic. Judith Hill was leaning toward a fourth take of the song, but her band and the lateness of the hour convinced her to call it a day. For the KNKX crew, it was a day we'll never forget.These three tunes were a sampling of the musical diversity on her latest album, and Hill promises more to come on an already recorded (but not scheduled for release) next album. Still a young woman in her 30s, Judith Hill has lived an artist's life in a short time. That experience and her passion and talent are sure to bring her and music fans around the world plenty of incredible music in many years to come.

This day in Michigan history, 1967 : The Who Perform at Southfield High School!
The night of November 22, 1967, is indelibly etched in the memories of local music fans lucky enough to nab a ticket to The Who’s performance at Southfield High School’s gym. “It was packed to the gills, and I was in the front row,” recalls Don Henderson, who shot this photo. The British group was preceded by warm-up bands The Unrelated Segments and The Amboy Dukes (with Ted Nugent). Singer Roger Daltrey’s back is to the crowd in front of drummer Keith Moon while guitarist Pete Townshend puts the finishing touches on his signature windmill move, in which he wound up his arm in anticipation of striking a furious power chord.

405020596_831916785600770_6734265107756474646_n.jpg

The Who - My Generation live 1967​

@mudshark 's post in the RIP thread reminded me of one of the most memorable concerts I attended of the MC5's.... Thank you for the memory mudshark.

Remastered Tartar Field - Ramblin Rose/Kick Out The Jams/Looking At You - July 1970​

Moving me tonight . . .

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back