Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Law The Cannabis Chronicles - Misc Cannabis News

So, I'm going to try to be VERY careful about any comments I make on this subject as I am definitely NOT trying to provoke a political discussion on affirmative action or any other race related program.

I will say that I believe her thinking on this is flawed but there is hardly any sense arguing about it as people's ideas seem very fixed.

I have two direct experiences that inform my personal view of this subject:

1. I was a very bad boy as a young man and spent a LOT of time in the Baltimore inner city copping drugs...and no, not necessarily the one we discuss here. Life was on the streets. Dealers and buyers on street corners, junkies in alleys and gas station bathrooms, all very public in a very high crime area (it was a great place to get murdered) that had a very visible police presence. So, on the streets were the cops and the drug people...and guess what, there was a high level of enforcement and no doubt the set of people arrested was most definitely predominantly black as this was the set of people who predominantly lived there. I now live in the suburbs and have for quite some time. There are, in my area, predominantly white suburban areas and predominately black suburban areas...some of both of them being quite wealthy. Activity is not on the streets in these areas and nor is there a great deal of visible police presence. I often think that at least one of the root causes of racial disparity of arrests for MJ has to do with urban vs suburban areas and I don't know how you distinguish which part is from that and which is based on racism. I also wonder at, for example, cities with high arrest rates but in which also the majority of cops are black. DC is an example. I just don't think this is as simple a situation as people...people with an agenda....make it out to be.

2. I have spent time in Appalachia, the deep south, and some post-industrial rust belt areas. It is my impression that these places suffer the same impacts of poverty and ignorance as people in the inner cities.

Kirsten Gillibrand Explains Cannabis Privilege and We’re Here for It

New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is a Democratic presidential candidate scrambling to climb into a top-five ranking in a field that feels 37,000 candidates deep. Last week she found herself working a room in Youngstown, Ohio, the kind of blue-collar town whose white voters famously turned to Trump in 2016.
Pressed to explain white privilege in a struggling Ohio town, Gillibrand turned to the clearest illustration: cannabis arrests.
One of those voters, a white woman, put it to her straight: We’ve been hit hard by job losses and opioid addiction here. We hear all about this so-called “white privilege,” and we just aren’t seeing it. What do you have to say about that?
Instead of mumbling a line about feeling the woman’s pain, Gillibrand looked her in the eye and delivered. The video is everything:

All Suffering Is Suffering
“I understand families in this community are suffering deeply,” she said. “It is devastating when you’ve lost your job, you’ve lost your ability to provide for your kids, that when you’ve put 20 to 30 years into a company that suddenly doesn’t care about you, won’t call you back, or gives you a day to move. That is not acceptable and not OK. No one in that circumstance feels privileged on any level. But that’s not what that conversation is about.”
“What is it about?” the woman demanded.
“That conversation is about a community that’s been left behind for generations because of the color of their skin,” Gillibrand said. Job discrimination, housing discrimination, home loan denials—all these things actually happened. And still happen. “So institutional racism is real,” she said. “It doesn’t take away your pain and your suffering. It’s just a different issue.”
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/this-is-what-white-weed-privilege-looks-like
“Your suffering is just as important as a black or brown person’s suffering,” Gillibrand said, but far more transformational efforts are needed to dismantle the societal framework of racism.

But Your Son Doesn’t Suffer This
Then she made a critical pivot. To illustrate the difference between the experience of a white person and a person of color in Youngstown, Gillibrand turned to one of the clearest examples of racial disparity: cannabis enforcement.
“If your son is 15 years old and smokes pot. He smokes just as much as the black boy in his neighborhood and the Latino boy in his neighborhood, but that black or Latino boy is four times more likely to be arrested.” Then he faces $500 bail, possible loss of a job, and a criminal record. “Your son will not likely have to deal with that,” Gillibrand said, “because he is white.”
https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/wisconsin-cannabis-arrests-hit-black-residents-hardest
“So when someone says ‘white privilege,’ that is all they’re talking about. It means that his whiteness means that a police officer might give him a second chance. It might mean that he doesn’t get incarcerated because he just smoke a joint with his girlfriend.”
Gillibrand recently became one of the only presidential candidates to put forth an actual plan to end federal cannabis prohibition. Her senate colleague and presidential nomination rival, Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ), has also put forth a detailed proposal in his Marijuana Justice Act. Gillibrand, Booker, and a host of other aspirants are scheduled to appear in the next round of Democratic presidential primary debates on Tuesday, July 30, and Wednesday, July 31.

Ok, I'm posting this article but also making a bit of an experiment with the new software for @momofthegoons related to highlighting and font color (and wtf knows what else! haha).

How Legal Marijuana Is Helping the Black Market
Expensive regulation and high demand across the country have made the illicit trade more profitable than going legit.https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/07/21/legal-marijuana-black-market-227414

When the new marijuana shop opened up just down the street from his own marijuana shop, Greg Meguerian, owner of The Reefinery in Los Angeles, kept an eye on it. When that shop stayed open past the legal closing time of 10 p.m. and sold customers over a quarter-pound of cannabis at once, four times more than the legal limit, Meguerian knew he wasn’t competing with a licensed dispensary.

“It’s so shady, if you look at it,” Meguerian said. “It looks like a shady crack house.”

The 15 Spot – as the tarp sign hung in front reads – doesn’t appear on Los Angeles’ list of authorized retail businesses. Meguerian and his lawyer reported the illegal dispensary, but it’s still open—and Meguerian is paying a price. He said his sales are down noticeably since his illicit competitor moved in. (Calls to the 15 Spot went unanswered because its phone is disconnected.)

“I told the state, ‘If I lose 20 percent, you just lost 20 percent in taxes.’” He told POLITICO Magazine. “You feel like your words are falling on deaf ears.”

What’s happening to Meguerian is a window into one widespread side effect of marijuana legalization in the U.S.: In many cases it has fueled, rather than eliminated, the black market. In Los Angeles, unlicensed businesses greatly outnumber legal ones; in Oregon, a glut of low-priced legal cannabis has pushed illegal growers to export their goods across borders into other states where it’s still against the law, leaving law enforcement overwhelmed. Three years after Massachusetts voters approved fully legal marijuana, most of the cannabis economy now consists of unlicensed “private clubs,” home growing operations and clearly illicit sellers.

Though each state has its own issues, the problems have similar outlines: underfunded law enforcement officers and slow-moving regulators are having trouble building a legal regime fast enough to contain a high-demand product that already has a large existing criminal network to supply it. And at the national level, advocates also point to another, even bigger structural issue: problems are inevitable in a nation where legalization is so piecemeal.

“You’re never going to eliminate [the illicit market] until most of the states are legal,” says Adam Smith of the Craft Cannabis Alliance, a group in Oregon advocating for small cannabis farmers. “As long as half the country still can’t get it legally, there’s a market for it illegally.”
State troopers in Idaho don’t know why they are seizing so much marijuana crossing their border, but the numbers offer a pretty strong clue.

With Oregon growers producing three times more marijuana than consumers inside the state could handle, neighboring Idaho has reported a 665 percent increase in the amount of illicit marijuana officers have seized. In 2016, the year before Oregon’s adult use laws took effect, troopers confiscated 508 pounds of marijuana. Oregon’s new recreational market went into full effect on January 1, 2017, and the number of licensed dispensaries jumped from 99 to 260. That same year, the amount of cannabis confiscated by Idaho State Troopers skyrocketed to 1,376 pounds and kept climbing. Last year, seizures totaled nearly a ton.

Law enforcement officers in Oregon, though, are under no illusion that their state’s growers are not feeding that supply.

“If anything, it’s gotten worse [since legalization],” Sgt. Brandon Boice of the Oregon State Patrol says. “There’s still high demand for southern Oregon marijuana throughout the country, that has not changed.”

When Oregon legalized marijuana in 2014, the state tried very hard to stifle its black market by ensuring the path into the legal market was as easy as possible. It did not limit licenses and it simplified regulations, creating a program with one of the lowest barriers to entry in the United States.

It worked.

Now, Oregon is an easy place to find high-quality, cheap, legal marijuana. There are over 650 licensed marijuana dispensaries in the state, or three times the number of McDonalds’ restaurants (205). If you’re an Oregonian living in a legal town or county and you want to buy marijuana, there is no reason to shop illegally.

John Hudak, a cannabis expert at the Brookings Institute in Washington, D.C., says he is skeptical that Oregon’s legalization correlates to an increase in black market cannabis exports. But the Oregon state legislature has taken steps specifically to curb the siphoning of its oversupply out of the legal market. This past April, Oregon state senator Floyd Prozanski cited the illicit market in his support for a bill that would cut down on the number of licenses available in Oregon.

But there are 39 states where marijuana remains illegal for recreational use and that has proven to be an attractive market for Oregon growers. Boice estimates there may actually be more illicit marijuana growing in Southern Oregon than before legalization, almost all of it heading out of the state.

“Law enforcement is just inundated with illegal marijuana and exportation,” says Boice. “There aren’t enough resources in place for us to do anything about it.”

If Oregon’s surplus of legal marijuana has become a massive headache for its neighbors like Idaho, the illicit markets thriving in parts of California and Massachusetts are self-inflicted wounds. High state taxes and fees are driving up the price of legal cannabis, and mild repercussions for remaining unlicensed discourage existing business owners from navigating the complex licensing process in both Los Angeles and Boston.

Massachusetts legalized the sale of marijuana in 2017. Since then, close to 200 business licenses have been approved across the state. Boston approved its first one just this week.

As they wait for approvals that don’t come, marijuana businesses continue to operate in a legal gray zone. Sieh Samura, 40, opened his private cannabis club in Boston in 2014, when only medical marijuana was legal. In 2018, Samura was given priority status under the state’s community empowerment program. Almost a year and a half later, Samura still doesn’t have an open dispensary. He needs something called a community agreement from Boston before he can apply for his state license, and he doesn’t have that yet.

So in the interim, Samura continued running his private club, one of a handful in Boston and Worcester, where customers could bring their own product – much of it home grown or purchased on the illicit market – and share and smoke communally. They are unlicensed and supposedly legal, but when asked by POLITICO, state and local officials disagreed on whose job it is to regulate them.

When she heard this, Massachusetts-based cannabis advocate Maggie Kinsella laughed. “So basically nobody knows what’s going on.”

Kinsella says that this runaround between state and local governments has essentially left New Englanders in the cannabis industry to fend for themselves. She says that the lack of legal, open dispensaries with good product means 80 percent of the market is still underground. And a lot of the customers at the legal dispensaries, she adds, are primarily from out of state.

“It’s probably premature to say that we’ve had a big dent in the illicit market” says Steve Hoffman of the Massachusetts Cannabis Commission, the state’s independent commission created to monitor the licensed cannabis market. And, he adds, “I don’t think we’re ever completely going to eliminate the illicit market, I think that’s probably unrealistic.”

Like many cannabis advocates, Hoffman says the illicit market in Massachusetts likely won’t die completely until cannabis is fully legalized federally, and access to things like bankingfor basic needs such as loans and deposits—is easier for startup businesses. The barriers to entry, he says, are still high and discourage even those who have had approved licenses from opening up shop.

In California, where the statewide regulatory apparatus is legendarily hard to navigate, those barriers to entry are only magnified.

California is so big, the problem is the opportunity,” says Kyle Kazan, CEO of California Cannabis Enterprises, which operates dispensaries in Los Angeles, Santa Ana and will soon open a third in Santa Barbara.

“You better have a lot of money and a whole lot of patience,” he says. “Because California is so not for everybody.”

High startup costs, licensing fees, and taxes make it hard for cannabis businesses to compete with unlicensed dispensaries that get equal billing on Weedmaps, a website that is essentially the Yelp of cannabis. Los Angeles, for instance, is estimated to have over 1,000 dispensaries, according to some advocates, but only 200 of them are licensed. This means the vast majority are illegal businesses.

This problem has existed ever since the early 2000s when law enforcement failed to address the explosion of medical dispensaries. The result was the growth of a vigorous unlicensed businesses – operating in the open, but with no permits to sell cannabis. The problem metastasized when the state legalized adult-use marijuana in 2016. Los Angeles was slower to issue licenses than some other Californian cities like San Francisco or neighboring West Hollywood, leaving a market gap for unlicensed players to fill. Customers in Los Angeles can’t easily distinguish a licensed dispensary from an unlicensed one.

The city has dedicated close to $14 million to the problem. And it has conducted raids, most notably a city-wide crackdown in 2018 that resulted in the closure of 108 unlicensed businesses – but often the dispensaries just pop up again somewhere else. The city shuts off power and then the dispensaries buy generators. The LA city attorney has begun to go after landlords, levying $20,000 fines for every day the illicit dispensaries remain open.

Alex Traverso with the California Bureau of Cannabis Commission says that not all unlicensed dispensaries in Los Angeles are bad actors, though. Some, he says, want to enter the legal market but the barriers to entry are too high.

“[They] are paying their taxes and are trying to do things right, they just don’t have the ability to get a license.”

Traverso’s solution is much like the approach favored by advocates in Massachusetts and Oregon: Make the market legal across both the state and the nation.

“Of all the 542 cities and counties we have in the state, collectively, only a quarter of those allow retail locations,” explained Traverso. “But to say there are no retail locations operating in those... just because you ban [marijuana] doesn’t mean it’s not there.”

It’s not just the legal business owners who are taking the hit. Meguerian, the Los Angeles dispensary owner, is right that his losses are also the state’s. Before California voted to fully legalize cannabis in 2016, officials estimated the state would pull in $1 billion in tax revenue in 2018. In the end, it has collected slightly more than a third of that, putting a painful financial point on an unfulfilled promise of the national legalization movement.

In the end, many advocates say
, states can do much more to fight the black market, but it will never be fully gone until the federal government gets involved. As long as marijuana is treated the same as heroin under federal law, the regulatory map across the country will remain open to exploitation by those on the illicit side of the industry.

“Cannabis consumers are rational economic actors,” explains Hudak, at the Brookings Institute. “They’re probably going to pick the cheaper option. In a lot of states, that would mean black market cannabis.”

Adam Smith in Oregon says the ability for legal farmers to access markets like New York would solve Oregon’s problem. Give cannabis farmers legal interstate commerce, and you incentivize them to get into the legal market.

Alex Traverso in California says federal access to banking would lower startup costs and provide a financial buffer for new small businesses, encouraging more to switch to the legal market.

In Massachusetts, Steve Hoffman says the illicit market isn’t going anywhere completely until federal authorities treat cannabis the same as alcohol. “I don’t think you can, at this point, regulate cannabis the same way you regulate alcohol because of the federal prohibition,” he says.

As governments increase funding into law enforcement efforts and more counties, cities and even states come online, the market for illicit cannabis will decrease. Some point to Illinois, previously a destination for Oregon weed, which just legalized cannabis for adult use.

Kyle Kazan, a former police officer, agrees that the fight against the illicit market isn’t over yet.

“I’m not really that shocked by anything that’s going on,” he says. “I think we’re in like inning two of a nine-inning game.”

Last edited:
my first and abiding thought was fat lot of good that will do. Seriously, does anyone think our political class gives a flying F about this letter?

100 cannabis businesses urge Congress to end cannabis prohibition

4Front Holdings, LLC (“4Front”) delivered a letter to Congress signed by more than 100 of its cannabis-industry peers in support of significant federal cannabis policy reform.
The letter, which can be read at www.DescheduleMarijuana.com, describes 4Front’s position that the federal government should end the criminalization of cannabis by removing it from the Controlled Substances Act, and that federal cannabis policy reform is incomplete if it does not include the funding and programming necessary to create a more inclusive industry, and help to meaningfully address the harm done to communities that were disproportionately impacted by the War on Drugs.

The letter was delivered at 11 a.m. ET this morning to members of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee, with copies also being sent to House and Senate Leadership and the chair of the Senate’s Judiciary Committee.
“Our founding mission when we created 4Front in 2011 was to defeat prohibition through sensible regulation. It seemed daunting at the time, but now here we are discussing the right way to legalize cannabis rather than whether it should be legalized in the first place,” said Kris Krane, 4Front’s co-founder and president. “We’re proud to stand with so many of our esteemed peer organizations that have tirelessly advocated for these same ideals and helped advance the dialogue to a point where we can now have these critical conversations—years before many of us thought it could happen, and decades after many of us thought it was necessary.”
Mike Liszewski, 4Front’s in-house Senior Regulatory Affairs Counsel, wrote the letter and worked with the National Cannabis Industry Association and Minority Cannabis Business Association to secure industry support. Liszewski, who previously worked for Americans for Safe Access as a policy analyst and lobbyist, was instrumental in the 2014 lobbying efforts to pass what was then known as the Rohrabacher-Farr medical marijuana amendment as a rider to the Department of Justice appropriations bill. He joined 4Front full-time in June 2019.
“Every day something isn’t done to reform this country’s misguided drug laws, people’s lives are being negatively affected, whether from lacking safe and legal access to medicine or becoming burdened with a criminal record for possessing cannabis,” Liszewski said. “One of the reasons I joined 4Front is because of its activist roots and its commitment to the social and economic justice components of cannabis reform. The industry is at a point now where we must use our size to demand policy change that decriminalizes our businesses and ensures communities and individuals who were harmed most by prohibition gain access to these new economic opportunities. I am thrilled to be advancing this platform on behalf of a company that shares these values and is a leader in the marketplace as well.”
This is not an official coalition, but these 103 businesses, trade associations, and policy organizations share a recognition that:
  • the federal government should bear some responsibility to help repair the harm created by the disproportionate enforcement of cannabis prohibition in low-income communities and communities of color, and
  • the industry is not reflective of the overall population and the federal government should allocate funding for programs to help create a more inclusive industry.
The creation of the letter and delivery to Congressional offices follows the hearing held last week—titled “Marijuana Laws in America: Racial Justice and the Need for Reform”—by the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security.
“I commend Kris and Mike for their dedication, commitment to our roots and the authenticity with which they represent our company and this emerging industry as a whole,” said Josh Rosen, 4Front’s CEO. “Policy reform has always been at the center of our business; necessarily so. As advocates and pioneers who have helped set the tone for what this industry becomes, we’re building a responsible, values-based and people-focused company that informs regulation through practice, ensures access to cannabis through service, and provides value through job creation and community engagement. As we grow, we will always look for ways to use our platform to replace prohibition with opportunity.”
About 4Front Holdings
4Front is building a next-generation company in the cannabis industry, based upon strategic and aligned leadership, battle-tested operating capabilities, transparent and principled governance, and a commitment to developing and supporting people and communities. Led by a group of professionals with experience in strategy, manufacturing, distribution & logistics, finance, real estate, multi-location retail & hospitality operations and talent development & retention, 4Front has invested heavily to assemble a comprehensive collection of management skills and hands-on operating expertise that can support the rapid operational growth opportunity being afforded by the increased legalization of cannabis across the globe. For more information, visit the website.

Now this is the reality of politics in DC.

Liberal push for social justice measures could stall Democratic bills to ease marijuana industry
"Marijuana decriminalization may be one of the very few issues upon which bipartisan agreement can still be reached in this session," Rep. Tom McClintock, a California Republican, said during a July 10 hearing on racial justice issues with marijuana laws. "The present conflict between state and federal law on this matter is no longer sustainable, and it must be resolved."

The banking bill, better known as the SAFE act, an acronym for Secure and Fair Enforcement, addresses a piece of the disparity.

The unwillingness of financial institutions to handle accounts for marijuana businesses, given the illegality of the substance and the federal regulation of banks, has forced many dispensaries to handle transactions in cash. That heightens the risk of robbery, Bass said during a hearing of the subcommittee on crime and terrorism, which she leads.

It's a situation that has already created high-profile complaints, not least when Nikki Fried, a Democrat who won the 2018 race for state agriculture commission in Florida, publicly accused Wells Fargo of shutting down her campaign's account because she supported patient access to medical marijuana.

The San Francisco-based lender blamed the federal prohibition of marijuana usage and sales that bars national banks from serving customers engaged in the business or related activities.

The outcome of a Senate Banking Committee hearing on financial services for cannabis companies, slated for Tuesday, July 23, should offer more insight on the SAFE bill's chances, Seiberg noted.

That Sen. Mike Crapo, the chairman, scheduled the session is significant since it suggests the Idaho Republican may be willing to let the legislation advance, Seiberg said. Should Crapo criticize the idea, however, the bill may die until the next Congress takes office in January 2021.

"Republicans are already skeptical of the SAFE act," Seiberg said, and the House debate on attaching social justice measures including reserving cannabis licenses for minorities may slow the proposal down even further.

Input from Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a committee member who's seeking to challenge President Trump in 2020, and Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, the panel's top Democrat, will offer insight into the effects of liberal demands on the legislation, he added.

As for Republicans, while McClintock personally believes marijuana use is ill-advised, the California lawmaker argued that outlawing it has created a violent underground economy much as the Prohibition laws against liquor did in the 1920s.

"Many things are ill-advised that should not be illegal," McClintock said, "but rather left to the informed judgment of free men and women."

Why marijuana’s illegal classification is based on politics, not science

When it comes to cannabis reform, lawmakers across the country will often point to lack of empirical research as a reason not to legalize or decriminalize the drug. But that doesn’t necessarily mean marijuana laws are based on science, at least according to a report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy.
The report, which is titled “Classification Of Psychoactive Substances: When Science Was Left Behind,” calls for the reclassification of illegal drugs such as cannabis, heroin, cocaine, and more to better reflect the current positions of scientific literature and the community writ large. Those drugs were either evaluated 30 years ago or never evaluated at all, which thwarts the legitimacy of international drug control.

“The international system to classify drugs is at the core of the drug control regime – and unfortunately the core is rotten,” Ruth Dreifuss, former president of Switzerland and chair of the commission,” told The Guardian.

The report also found that legal substances like alcohol and tobacco have more damaging to communities than illegal ones such as ecstasy and cocaine. In turn, the commission is urging governments from around the world to reclassify these illegal drugs as well as regulate the market for of otherwise illegal substances.
Decisions around scheduling, which typically classifies the availability and medical efficacy of the drug in question, have “become subjected to political considerations and an inherent bias” against substances like ecstasy and LSD, which was rated two of the least harmful drugs in the report. These substances have also demonstrated newfound medical capabilities, which should by the nature of the system, reconstitute the classification system.

Current drug control policies and prohibition are “arbitrary,” reads the report, and aren’t based on pharmacological research but historic precedent that overly relies upon “a presumed ‘good and evil’ distinction between legal and illegal drugs.” To overcome the negativity brought by the War on Drugs and these laws, the commission recommends “implementing a more rational policy of scheduling, controlling and regulating psychoactive drugs.”
1a_GettyImages-967917456-e1562869466686.jpg

When it comes to cannabis reform, lawmakers across the country will often point to lack of empirical research as a reason not to legalize or decriminalize the drug. But that doesn’t necessarily mean marijuana laws are based on science, at least according to a report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy. iStock / Getty Images Plus
The Global Commission on Drug Policy includes 14 ex-heads of states from around the world, with representation from countries like Mexico, Portugal, New Zealand, and Colombia.

Biden criminal justice plan reverses part of 1994 crime bill
Joe Bidenis proposing to reverse several key provisions of the 1994 crime bill he helped write in an acknowledgment that his tough-on-crime positions of the past are at odds with the views of the modern Democratic Party.

The former vice president is calling for an end to the disparity that placed stricter sentencing terms on offenses involving crack versus powder cocaine as well as an end to the federal death penalty, which the legislation authorized as a potential punishment for an increasing number of crimes.

Full Coverage: Election 2020
Biden is the early Democratic front-runner in no small part because of support from black voters who are crucial to winning the party’s presidential nomination. But his role in crafting the 1994 crime bill could become a vulnerability. Several of his rivals have blamed the crime bill for the mass incarceration of racial minorities over the past two decades.

He was expected to talk about his criminal justice reform proposal at a speech Tuesday in New Orleans, but he didn’t do so. He is scheduled to be in Detroit on Wednesday for the NAACP national convention.

Biden’s moves could be an attempt to blunt fellow White House contenders Kamala Harris and Cory Booker, who have escalated their critiques of the former vice president’s handling of race in recent weeks. All three candidates will share a stage at next week’s presidential debate.

Cedric Richmond, Biden’s campaign chairman, called the plan “the most forward-leaning criminal justice policy proposed.” Richmond, a Louisiana representative and former public defender, praised it for building on Virginia Democratic Rep. Bobby Scott’s SAFE Justice Act, which would reserve prison space for violent offenders and offer a wider range of non-prison sentencing alternatives. Scott’s bipartisan bill is co-sponsored by other members of the Congressional Black Caucus.

By building on Scott’s bill, Biden, who represented Delaware in the U.S. Senate for decades, is moving significantly to the left but not quite as far as endorsing the type of sweeping overhaul championed by Booker. Booker unveiled a proposal this year that would go beyond the criminal justice measure that President Donald Trump signed into law last year by slashing mandatory minimum sentences.

And Biden’s shift on the death penalty also puts him in line with every other Democratic presidential candidate except for Montana Gov. Steve Bullock. It’s a stark change of Biden’s previous approach to the issue: Touting the toughness of the crime bill in 1992, the then-Senate Judiciary Committee chairman joked that it would do “everything but hang people for jaywalking.”

Full Coverage: Joe Biden
Biden’s plan would seek to create a $20 billion grant program to encourage states to reduce incarceration by increasing spending on child abuse prevention, education and literacy, as long as states eliminate mandatory minimum sentencing for nonviolent crimes.

He also would expand the Justice Department’s role in rooting out institutional misconduct by police departments and prosecutors and would establish an independent task force to study prosecutorial discretion in an attempt to head off racial and ethnic discrimination.

The plan also includes spending $1 billion annually on changes in the juvenile justice system and identifies as a goal that all former inmates have access to housing when they leave prison.

Biden also plans to seek a renewed ban on assault weapons, an element of the 1994 crime bill he continues to promote, and a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.

Trump, a Republican, tweeted in May while championing his own criminal justice measure that “anyone associated with the 1994 Crime Bill will not have a chance of being elected. In particular, African Americans will not be able to vote for you.”

Since the last debate, Biden has focused his campaign speeches on his stint as vice president and has aggressively proposed policies in recent weeks that build on gains in President Barack Obama’s administration, including criminal justice.

Booker has hinted that he would renew his criticisms of Biden’s lead role on the 1994 crime bill when the two candidates share the stage during the second set of Democratic presidential debates in Detroit next week. He offered a preview of that criticism on Tuesday, pushing back at Biden’s criminal justice plan in a tweet that didn’t name the former vice president: “It’s not enough to tell us what you’re going to do for our communities, show us what you’ve done for the last 40 years,” Booker wrote.

Harris, too, has chastised Biden’s role in the 1994 bill. But Harris herself has been criticized by criminal justice reform advocates as being too tough on the accused during her tenures as the San Francisco district attorney and as California’s attorney general before she was elected senator.

Harris has answered those criticisms by saying she supports major changes to federal criminal justice. She partnered with a senior House Democrat on Tuesday to propose legislation that would decriminalize marijuana and expunge records of federal marijuana offenses, steps that Biden aligns with in his new plan — although Harris and Booker have both gone further than Biden in their support of full marijuana legalization.

Joe Biden Has a Plan on Weed (That Doesn’t Involve Legalizing It)

WASHINGTON — Former Vice President Joe Biden is staking out a position to the political right of the 2020 field when it comes to marijuana policy.

Biden would not legalize weed as president, but he called for expungement of all past convictions for pot use as part of a criminal justice reform plan released by his presidential campaign Tuesday.

Biden would support the decriminalization but not legalization of marijuana for recreational use. That keeps him out of step with every other top-tier Democratic presidential candidate, all of whom have called for the full federal legalization of the plant.

Biden would take marijuana off of the Drug Enforcement Administration’s most severe classification list, where it’s considered the same as heroin, LSD, MDMA and peyote as a substance with “no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.”
WATCH: Why the black market for weed is still thriving in California

But while other campaigns have called for fully declassifying cannabis, Biden would make it a Schedule II drug, on par with cocaine, methamphetamine and fentanyl, all of which the DEA considers “drugs with a high potential for abuse, with use potentially leading to severe psychological or physical dependence.”

The upshot is that lowering marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II would allow the government to research it, according to a senior Biden campaign official, who briefed reporters on his plan.
"He is here saying no one should be in jail because of cannabis use.”

“He very much believes that we need more research and study the positive and negative impact of cannabis use,” said the aide, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “There are a number of negative side effects of cannabis or side effects that we don't fully understand. But he is here saying no one should be in jail because of cannabis use.”

Biden would support federal legalization of medicinal marijuana, but he'd leave decisions about recreational use to the states while more research is conducted.

To back the position, Biden’s campaign pointed to a 2017 study by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, which found conclusive evidence that marijuana can be used medicinally to reduce pain or chemotherapy-induced nausea, but there are risks too. The study found a correlation between cannabis use and an increased risk of developing psychoses, social anxiety disorders and chronic bronchitis.
READ: Republicans are slowly coming around to the right to blaze

The study also states that there is no strong evidence that marijuana is a gateway drug. That would seem to contradict Biden’s often-quoted line on the subject when he was vice president.

“I still believe it’s a gateway drug. I’ve spent a lot of my life as chairman of the Judiciary Committee dealing with this. I think it would be a mistake to legalize,” Biden told ABC News in 2010.

The criminal justice plan would also seek to undo many of the tough-on-crime proposals Biden has drawn criticism for helping institute as a senator during the war on drugs, including two bills he helped author in the 1980s that strengthened drug sentences and mandatory minimums.

As president, he would support legislation to repeal mandatory minimum sentences and end the sentencing disparity between crack and powder cocaine. Biden helped write a law in 1986 that allowed prosecutors to sentence those arrested with crack to much longer prison terms than those arrested with powder cocaine, even though they are the same chemically. President Barack Obama signed a law in 2010 reducing that disparity from 100-to-1 to 18-to-1, and Biden is promising to end it completely.

READ: Medical marijuana users are being shut out of public housing

Biden would also use his pardon power to release or commute the sentences of prisoners serving unduly long prison time for nonviolent drug convictions, as Obama did, according to his plan.

The proposal also calls for ending prison sentences for drug use alone. He’d require federal courts to divert those defendants to drug courts so they could be referred for treatment, and would issue federal grants to states to do the same. To nudge states, he’d create a $20 billion grant program, and states would only be eligible if they take steps like eliminating state-level mandatory minimum sentences

So, contrast and compare these two sets of statements and see which one you think is a rational and logical thinker and which one is a rapid, ideological, demigod.

There is this:

"Senator Mike Crapo, the Idaho Republican who chairs the committee, said that because of fear of retribution from federal authorities, “many banks have stopped providing financial services to members of these lawful industries for no reason other than political pressure, which takes the guise of regulatory and enforcement scrutiny.”

And this:

"Gardner named several others and continued, “It’s the states that are leading on this issue, and the federal government has failed to respond. It has closed its eyes and plugged its ears and pretended and hoped the issue will just go away. But it won’t.”
Versus this:
"Garth Van Meter, Vice President of Government Affairs at Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM), said: “They say that they are not taking a position on legalization, but they want to profit from depositing federally illegal proceeds.”
And from the same source, this:
"we also should not create another new addiction-for-profit industry in the model of Big Tobacco."​

Cannabis and Banking: An Unprecedented Senate Hearing
Both advocates and enemies of the SAFE Banking Act got to make their case.
https://cannabiswire.com/2019/07/24...il&utm_term=0_ec9b193d9a-484e7f4c07-171290525
Public safety and the problems of doing business in cash took center stage on Tuesday during an unprecedented US Senate committee hearing that could be a major step in solving one of the cannabis industry’s biggest headaches: banking.

The Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs hearing, titled “Challenges for Cannabis and Banking: Outside Perspectives,” brought lawmakers, financiers, and an anti-legalization lobbyist together to discuss the possible pitfalls and benefits of implementing the SAFE Banking Act, which would provide legal protection to financial institutions serving the cannabis industry.

In his opening remarks, Senator Mike Crapo, the Idaho Republican who chairs the committee, said that because of fear of retribution from federal authorities, “many banks have stopped providing financial services to members of these lawful industries for no reason other than political pressure, which takes the guise of regulatory and enforcement scrutiny.”

Senator Sherrod Brown, the Ohio Democrat, then added some context, with an emphasis on how workers in the industry are affected by a lack of banking services. “The legal cannabis industry is one of the fastest growing in the United States and employs hundreds of thousands of people, many of whom are represented by unions like the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union.”

“No matter how you feel about marijuana itself,” he underscored, “we have a duty to look out for the workers in this industry and the communities they represent.” In concrete terms, Brown argued that forcing workers to “operate in the shadows” not only “puts a robbery target on the backs of workers,” but also adversely affects their socioeconomic stability.

“Getting paid in cash means it’s difficult to get a credit card, prove your income to get a loan, or even keep your personal bank account,” Brown said. “That can force workers to turn to shady outfits like payday lenders and check cashing services that charge high fees and interest rates.” Those, in turn, he said, can “trap people in a cycle of debt and make low income people even poorer. Companies or workers that have found a bank willing to handle new business often pay high fees, and are limited to only the most basic financial services.”

When addressing the Committee, Colorado Repubican Senator Cory Gardner also pushed Congress to act with urgency, as the legalization of cannabis only continues to gain traction at the state level, meaning more state-legal businesses operating without banking services due to the conflict between state and federal law.

“Thirty three states have legalized medical marijuana. Eleven allow regulated adult use,” he continued. “It’s happening in the bluest of blue states, the reddest of red, and, in Colorado, the purplest of purples.”

Gardner named several others and continued, “It’s the states that are leading on this issue, and the federal government has failed to respond. It has closed its eyes and plugged its ears and pretended and hoped the issue will just go away. But it won’t.”

The disconnect between federal and state cannabis laws, Gardner added, “has become, as Attorney General [Bill Barr] has testified, both intolerable and untenable.”

Gardner became a champion of the cannabis industry in early 2018, when he blocked judicial court nominees in response to then-Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ move to rescind Obama-era protections for the cannabis industry. Gardner ended the nomination freeze when he said he felt that the Department of Justice was acting in “good faith” on protections for the cannabis industry.

Gardner talked about his own evolution on cannabis law reform.

“I’ve been a skeptic about cannabis legalization,” Gardner said. “It’s no secret that I opposed legalization in Colorado,” he added, citing his concerns about youth use and public safety. “I was leery of breaking with the federal government. I was uneasy about adding another intoxicant into our culture, and I did not and still do not want to encourage my own children to use marijuana. Several years into legalization in Colorado, I can say, though, that the sky has not fallen.”

What the SAFE Banking Act will do, said Senator Jeff Merkley, a Democrat from Oregon, is ameliorate the current situation. For example, he said, Oregon’s Department of Revenue “has one location that accepts cash—just one location—so business owners in the western part of the state often have to drive five or more hours with tens of thousands of dollars in cash just to pay their taxes. The cash creates a genuine public safety problem,” one that gets repeated throughout the country.

Recently, Merkley said he saw this firsthand when accompanying Oregon businessman, Tyson Elmer, on a trip to Salem to pay his tax bill. According to the Senator, Elmer had to make a quarterly payment of seventy thousand dollars, which he transported in a backpack. When they got to the capital, said Merkley, the businessman “turned it over on a table. It just kind of spread out across the whole table and fell onto the floor.

“That’s a lot of money to be carrying around in a backpack,” Merkley said.

Testifying on behalf of the Credit Union National Association, which represents state and federal credit unions and their 115 million members across the country, Rachel Pross, Chief Risk Officer at Maps Credit Union, noted thateven financial institutions that choose not to bank the cannabis industry still risk unknowingly serving these businesses.”

“Cannabis businesses don’t operate in a vacuum,” she added, “and indirect connections are hard to avoid . . . Locking lawyers, landlords, plumbers, electricians, security companies, and the like out of the nation’s banking and finance systems serves no one’s interests.”

“Statistics show that cash-only businesses increase the risk of crime,” she continued. “A 2015 analysis by the Wharton School of Business Public Policy Initiative found that, in the absence of being banked, one in every two cannabis dispensaries were robbed or burglarized—with the average thief walking away with anywhere from twenty thousand dollars to fifty thousand dollars in a single theft.”

Joanne Sherwood, President and CEO of Citywide Banks in Denver, Colorado, then testified on behalf of the American Bankers Association, reiterating Pross’s points, contending that indirect connections to cannabis revenues will continue to prevent various businesses from accessing of banking services. “Even banks in states like Idaho and Nebraska, where cannabis has not been legalized for any purpose, still face significant compliance challenges that must be addressed,” she said.

But not all agree. Pointing to financial institutions that “have no position on cannabis legalization,” Garth Van Meter, Vice President of Government Affairs at Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM), said: “They say that they are not taking a position on legalization, but they want to profit from depositing federally illegal proceeds.”

Van Meter then added: “SAM believes no one should be locked up or have the rest of their life ruined just because they got caught with a joint. But we also should not create another new addiction-for-profit industry in the model of Big Tobacco. The fundamental question before us today is whether we want to promote and increase drug use during an addiction crisis or discourage drug use and help people find recovery and healing. By skipping ahead to a technicality over banking rules, the marijuana industry is hoping to gain many of the benefits of federal legalization, without a debate over the public health effects.”

He placed particular emphasis on a product being offered by Acreage Holdings, “former House Speaker Boehner’s new gig.”

“Notice the name of the marijuana strain,” Van Meter told the committee: “’Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies.’ Let that sink in for a second. Those are the responsible operators in the industry. I can show you plenty of examples from irresponsible operators that are much much worse.”

This prompted Senator Crapo to ask: “So, are you arguing for a tougher federal regulatory system … or are you arguing that there simply continue to be a nationwide ban on marijuana products?”

Van Meter responded: “We think that legalization equals commercialization, and there isn’t really a way to stop that. So, from that standpoint, I think there is a benefit to keeping marijuana federally illegal. At the state level, we think there are important regulations that should be put in place—on potency, on product forms—as a start.”

In support of the SAFE Banking Act, John Lord, CEO and owner of one of Colorado’s largest cannabis companies, LivWell Enlightened Health, said “The current situation is especially challenging for small businesses. While we’re able to absorb the additional costs associated with cash management and exorbitant fees, many mom and pop shops are not.”

Urgency of marijuana policy was on full display Tuesday
Senate Banking hearing and bills unveiled give an early look at key 2020 issue
https://www.rollcall.com/news/congr...il&utm_term=0_ec9b193d9a-484e7f4c07-171290525
“In short, the sky is not falling in Colorado.”

That is how Republican Sen. Cory Gardner summed up his testimony to the Senate Banking Committee on Tuesday morning, where he was advocating legislative action to give legal marijuana businesses access to banks and protection for banks from being viewed as money launderers under federal law for handling their money.

Gardner and Oregon Democratic Sen. Jeff Merkley appeared at the witness table on a day that lawmakers from both parties were highlighting cannabis legislation, an issue that is only going to have more and more resonance going into 2020.

Gardner, who faces a potentially tough reelection in 2020, said it was high time “the federal government wakes up to the reality that the cannabis issue is not going to go away, and we must have action.”

He had been an opponent of the effort to legalize marijuana in Colorado, but with state voters having spoken through a referendum, he has since worked to build regulatory structures, including access to banks. His home-state colleague, Democrat Michael Bennet, is a 2020 presidential contender and has worked with Gardner on normalizing the issue as well.

The hearing about the financial regulatory issues involving what are legal cannabis businesses at the state level, but illegal federally, coincided with the introduction of other legislation by Democrats on both sides of Capitol Hill.

Candidates weigh in
In once such case, California Democratic Sen. Kamala Harris, a 2020 White House hopeful, teamed up with House Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., on a bicameral measure that would decriminalize marijuana and expunge past offenses, except in cases dealing with distribution to minors. The legislation is likely to serve as a key marker heading into next year’s elections.

“Despite the legalization of marijuana in states across the country, those with criminal convictions for marijuana still face second class citizenship. Their vote, access to education, employment, and housing are all negatively impacted,” Nadler said in a statement. “Racially motivated enforcement of marijuana laws has disproportionally impacted communities of color.”

Among the 2020 Demoratic presidential candidates, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker is also an original co-sponsor, as is Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard.

Want insight more often? Get Roll Call in your inbox

Merkley and fellow Oregon Democrat Ron Wyden also signed on from the Senate, and the support of conservative GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida has made the effort bipartisan.

The legislation from Harris and Nadler, it turned out, would not be the only cannabis legislation to be rolled out on Tuesday. New Jersey Democratic Sen. Robert Menendez announced the introduction of a measure with Kentucky Republican Sen. Rand Paul and North Dakota Republican Sen. Kevin Cramer, again along with Merkley, that would ensure legal marijuana businesses have access to insurance products.

“Federal law should not prohibit access to insurance for employees of local businesses these states voted to support, nor should it prohibit employers from acquiring insurance that protects their stores,” Cramer said in a statement. “This legislation takes a federalist approach by opening the insurance market to compliant businesses and preventing federal law from hindering employees’ market access.”

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, was among those offering statements of endorsement for the legislation, citing a recently enacted medical marijuana law in the Garden State.

“It is our responsibility to make sure that businesses associated with this life-changing medical treatment are treated similarly to other medical services providers. I thank Sen. Menendez for introducing legislation that will protect the access of these businesses to insurance,” Murphy said. “We must do everything in our power to ensure patients have access to treatment.”

The same four senators worked on one of the cannabis banking proposals that was being discussed Tuesday morning.

Cash in shoeboxes
While there is no immediate timeline for action, senators and outside experts who work with the cannabis sector said that especially when it comes to the financial system, the current system requiring the use of large amounts of cash is not workable.

In exchanges with Democratic Sens. Catherine Cortez Masto of Nevada and Brian Schatz of Hawaii, Rachel Pross, the chief risk officer for Maps Credit Union in Salem, Ore., underscored some of the challenges. The credit union handles accounts for cannabis businesses that are legally operating under Oregon law.

“We have talked to numerous members who have opened accounts at Maps who have described that they had been storing cash in shoe boxes, empty mattresses,” Pross said.“There are unscrupulous third-party players involved in this who are selling cash vaulting type of services, and those are not true cash vaults. They are in fact storage units, just basic storage units, full of cash that are earmarked for various businesses.”

Pross was among those in attendance Tuesday to point to the extent to which the marijuana businesses have become intertwined in the remainder of the economy.

“It’s impossible to draw a clear line between what is cannabis-related and what is natural commerce that has nothing to do with cannabis,” Pross said. “Not only does Walmart accept money from employees of cannabis businesses in states where it’s legal, but Walmart very likely sells basic business supplies to legal cannabis entities.”

Earlier in the hearing, Merkley talked about a trip to Salem with a cannabis operator who was trying to pay state taxes in cash.

“He had his quarterly payment of $70,000 in a backpack. He turned it over on a table and it just kind of spread out across the whole table and some of it fell on the floor,” Merkley said.

“It’s the states that are leading on this issue, and the federal government has failed to respond,” Gardner said. “It has closed its eyes and plugged its ears and pretended and hoped that the issue will just go away, but it won’t.”

I'm putting this one under legalization issues as it goes to Phylos promises of collecting genetics under the guise of ensuring that they are in the public domain, then turning around and abandoning the effort and taking the data and using it in for profit MJ breeding business. That is, it goes to IP of MJ breeding and associated public vs private domain issues.

Of course, Phylos has a differing point of view which is presented here also. So, make up your own minds, yeah?

High Drama: A Cannabis Biotech Company Roils Small Growers

When Mowgli Holmes and his childhood friend Nishan Karassik founded Phylos Bioscience in 2014 they had one major goal: to provide more transparency in the cannabis industry. That “and science, truth, consistency—and better weed,” Holmes wrote me in an email back in 2017.

They never could have guessed in 2014 that within a few years, they would be the subject of suspicion and outright contempt in some quarters of the tight-knit cannabis-growing world. But maybe they should have, because the transition from the illicit trade in marijuana to the mostly licit cannabis industry was never going to be without its complications and conflicts. Large science firms and Big Agriculture see an opportunity. Little cannabis sees a threat.

One of the first services Phylos launched was a “plant sex test,” which saves pot growers time and money by determining the sex of a seedling within a week of germination. (Only female cannabis plants contain usable amounts of THC, CBD, and other cannabinoids, so you want to cull the males ASAP.)
The company also began a collaboration with Rob DeSalle, a curator at the American Museum of Natural History and professor at Columbia University, to sequence the DNA of as many cultivated varieties of cannabis (or cultivars) as possible to shed some light on the plant’s evolution. The results were published—on April 20, 2016, 4/20 naturally—in an open source forum called the Galaxy.

A splashy visual representation of the genetic relationships between cannabis varieties, the Galaxy is also, in essence, a road map for breeders. At first, the Phylos Galaxy was a kind of community science project—anyone who sent in tiny piece of stem (swabbed with alcohol to remove any traces of THC) got their cultivars genetically sequenced for free. (A fee was added later.)

But later in 2016, Phylos began offering a “plant genotype test,” which included a placement on the Galaxy as well as a full report on its relationship to other cultivars. Because the Galaxy is public, it allows any breeder, scientist, or curious pot consumer to see how their favorite cultivar fits into the big picture—and it also helps growers decide what to breed next. (The farther apart two plants are genetically, the more likely they are to yield a plant with higher vigor and more disease resistance.)
Genotyping also offers a quick fact-check, allowing growers to know if they’re mislabeling cultivars—which, due to the clandestine nature of the black market, happens with some regularity. From the beginning, Phylos positioned itself as a “new kind of agriculture company,” one that mistrusted Monsanto and championed small-scale growers and breeders, the people responsible for the vast genetic diversity in the cannabis category. At last count, the Phylos Galaxy had 3,000 samples from 80 different countries, making it the largest database of cannabis genetics in the world.

So when Holmes announced on April 16 via Instagram that Phylos would be launching its own breeding program in a facility west of Portland, it wasn’t all hearts and smiley faces. Many in the cannabis community were outraged. “How about staying in your lane,” said one early response. “Damn, maybe you really have been stealing genetics this entire time,” began another. And finally: “Every idiot that allowed your company to put their genetics into their system just lost all their intellectual property.”
At first glance, the haters’ comments might’ve been dismissed as paranoia, jealousy, or at the very least anti-science. After all, you can’t resurrect a cannabis plant from a dead stem and 2,000 sites on the genome, which was all Phylos was sequencing.

But a few days later, a video surfaced that showed Holmes pitching investors at the Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference in Miami in February. In it, Holmes tells a roomful of would-be investors that Phylos has a huge lead as a cannabis breeder. “We’ve been collecting data and IP for four years. We have really huge barriers to entry protecting us,” and that “we have more trust in the cannabis industry than any other science company.”

The real bombshell, though, was when Holmes introduced a few members of the Phylos advisory board, one of whom had worked for Syngenta for years, and another who was VP of technology acquisition at the merged Dow and DuPont. Holmes continued: “So, having these guys around is just critical for us, because we’re building a company that is ultimately going to be acquired by that universe.”

To breeders and growers who had often heard Phylos employees publicly disparage Monsanto, affiliation with Syngenta and Dow/DuPont sounded like a deal with the devil. Also the idea that Phylos would use its storehouse of genetic data—in some cases freely donated by small growers—to pump up its market value and attract a major industry buyer sounded like an underhanded double-cross.

It was too much for brothers Aaron and Nathan Howard, co-owners of Southern Oregon cannabis farm East Fork Cultivars, who had been working with Phylos on a high-CBD hemp breeding project since February as part of something called the Breeding Innovation Network. In late April, East Fork was still publicly defending Phylos—both on Instagram and in real life.

The Howards knew the company was about to launch a breeding program—it wasn’t a secret—and although they had believed in the company’s integrity and commitment to helping small family-run cannabis farms like theirs, they were growing increasingly worried that they had been misled. “For so long, Phylos had been talking about being a different kind of agriculture company,” says East Fork CEO Mason Walker. “It would be one thing to be under crazy financial pressure and eventually have to sell under duress, but to actually have that as an intentional strategy? That really changed my mind.” East Fork left the Breeding Innovation Network in early May.
The episode is emblematic of a larger trend unfolding in the still-nascent legal cannabis business: The science and technology of mainstream agriculture is about to revolutionize marijuana. But old-school, pre-legalization cannabis growers fear they’ll be snuffed out in the process.

Though cannabis remains federally illegal, 11 states plus the District of Columbia have legalized recreational adult use, and 33 states along with DC have legalized medical use. Overall, members of the legal cannabis industry view the prospect of federal legalization—which some expect to happen in five to 10 years—with a mixture of hope and trepidation.

Once cannabis is legal, Big Agriculture will be able to invest enormous sums into improving cannabis. Once that happens, it will become extremely difficult for longtime breeders and growers to compete. Other monied interests from Big Pharma and the alcohol beverage industries have already jumped in. (Look no further than liquor conglomerate Constellation Brands, which last year invested $4 billion in Canadian cannabis firm Canopy Growth.)
The small players—the breeders and growers who have created the wide-ranging diversity that we see in dispensaries from California to Massachusetts—are barely hanging on as it is. Will they be crushed by the next wave of consolidation?

Holmes, who was named after a character in The Jungle Book and grew up on a commune in the woods outside of Eugene, Oregon, seems more aware of this dynamic than anyone. A molecular biologist with a PhD from Columbia University, Holmes helped found the Open Cannabis Project in 2016 with the intention of protecting the genetic diversity of cannabis.

In 2015, when the US Patent and Trade Office granted the first in a series of so-called utility patents on cannabis, he and colleague Jeremy Plumb realized that all the genomic data Phylos was collecting could protect growers and breeders by establishing “prior art”—evidence that your invention is already known or available. (Plumb, who was the first executive director of the Open Cannabis Project, is now director of production science at Portland-based cannabis grower Prūf Cultivar.)
If you document prior art by putting genetic data in the public domain, it makes it harder for companies to get patents on those strains. The Open Cannabis Project would link to the raw genomic data, which Phylos would post—with customers’ consent—onto the National Center for Biotechnology Information, a public database at the National Institutes of Health.

As former Open Cannabis Project board member Reggie Gaudino, president of Berkeley-based cannabis tech company Steep Hill, told me, “Having this database says ‘Look, this already existed, so you can’t have that patent, Monsanto!’” (In 2018, Bayer acquired Monsanto.) Soon, breeders and growers from around the world—who might have been hesitant at first to share the genetic data of their beloved, proprietary cultivars—were sending them in to Phylos, who sequenced the DNA using a system that could read 2,000 sites on the genome.
Because cannabis does not grow “true to type,” planting the seeds from one OG Kush plant can result in enormous variety. And yet some breeders will call all the progeny “OG Kush.”
When I spoke to Holmes in early March about his genomic testing company expanding into breeding, he was already aware that some were leery of Phylos. “There is justifiable paranoia. Small growers are fighting for their lives right now,” he told me over daiquiris at the Cuban bar on the ground floor of Phylos’ office building. “They have never seen an ag company that's been a good actor.”

In states like Oregon, where recreational cannabis was legalized in 2015, a glut of cannabis flower is driving prices so low that farmers are going out of business. Phylos’ new breeding program—rather than competing against small-scale breeders and growers—would give them an economic leg up, according to Holmes. “We have to give breeders the tools and genetics they need to keep producing interesting stuff,” he said.

If Phylos scientists can, for instance, breed cannabis strains that are resistant to botrytis (a form of mold that can ruin a crop) or powdery mildew, or are high yielding, or that have higher levels of lesser known (but medically promising) cannabinoids like CBG, CBC, or THCV, they could get those out to growers.
Holmes promised these plants will be “widely available and very affordable,” and in many cases they will be sold with an open source license—meaning other breeders can continue to work with them. (The company has teamed up with indoor ag venture Crop One to form a new business called Conception Nurseries, which will sell cannabis clones.)

Conception will also sell small-scale breeders’ starts, labeling them with the breeder’s name as well as the cultivar’s name, and will offer fair credit and royalties. But unfortunately for Holmes, these potential positives for small-scale growers were overshadowed by a creeping fear that Phylos would use genomic data for its own gain, and that it would adopt the tactics of despised Big Ag companies. Or maybe even become part of one.

The Benzinga pitch video certainly didn’t help. In it, Holmes told investors that all the cannabis around today would soon be gone, replaced by optimized new varieties that Phylos would develop. In the wake of the video, a handful of growers (East Fork, Prūf Cultivars, and Willcox Pharm in Arizona) abandoned the Breeding Innovation Network, at least two Phylos advisers have quit, and the Open Cannabis Project has dissolved.

In mid-May, when I asked Holmes if he was surprised by the intensity of the reaction to Phylos’ breeding program announcement, he paused before answering. “We were surprised. We were naive about it. We didn’t realize how threatening it would seem to people,” he said, speaking slowly, choosing his words with care. “We saw most of the cannabis industry as being composed of growers. And we thought they would be excited to have the new plants. I think we underestimated how much every grower sees themselves as a breeder as well.”

Over the past 50 years, cannabis breeding has been an experimental, crowdsourced project. That’s not to say that breeders from Humboldt County to Holland aren’t developing proprietary strains—they are. “There are old-school cannabis breeders who are masters of what they do,” Holmes told me back in March.
But because cannabis has largely been illegal the US, there haven’t been any large-scale directional breeding programs to help improve the plants for agronomic traits (resistance to pests and pathogens, increasing yield and vigor) as well as chemical components (novel terpenes and medicinally important cannabinoids). “We have never brought the full force of modern plant breeding to bear on cannabis,” Holmes added.

Because cannabis does not grow “true to type,” planting all the seeds from one OG Kush plant can result in enormous variety—with plants that have radically different genetics and also different chemical profiles than the mother. And yet some breeders will call all the progeny of OG Kush seeds “OG Kush.” That is why Phylos’ genotype test can be a valuable tool for cannabis growers and breeders.

It's also one of the reasons why consumers have such a hard time finding consistency, even when they revisit the same strain again. Phylos’ DNA test tells growers where their strain exists in relationship to other strains, and that information allows them to breed smarter. The company had been morphing into a plant breeding concern for years, and “I don’t think we did enough to make sure people understood that,” Holmes said. The idea of launching a breeding program came when Phylos scientists found collaborating with other breeders was an inefficient way to find markers for powdery mildew or botryitis. “It was great working with those companies," he acknowledged, "but it was painfully slow getting work done in other peoples’ facilities. It’s hard to get people to dedicate the scientific resources.”

Some breeders are working to stabilize the genetics of cultivars, creating commercially viable F1 hybrid seeds. (F1 hybrids are the first generation of offspring of distinctly different parental types; they are also largely uniform, meaning the seeds from the parents should produce plants with identical traits.) To do that, they need to develop two separate inbred lines, and then cross them, creating plants that are both hardy, disease-resistant, and identical.
Though Phylos has been accused of using the genomic data that was obtained when growers sent samples into the Galaxy, Holmes asserted that is not enough to help drive Phylos’ breeding program. To do “marker-assisted breeding”—which is what Phylos is planning—you need to both have the “phenotype,” or plant characteristics, as well as the genotype. As Holmes explained, the sequencing the company did for the genotype test only looked at 2,000 sites on the genome, which is not enough. In addition, Phylos never collected any plant information.

The need to get more complete data is actually what spurred the firm to launch a breeding program. But instead of celebrating this decision, growers and breeders felt betrayed. “It really angered people,” Holmes said. As for the allegation that Phylos now somehow “owns” the IP of cannabis breeders and growers, it doesn't. “That’s the part that we could never figure out why that didn’t ring louder in peoples’ ears: We knew that people were touchy about the data, so we made all of it public. We don’t have any more of it than the whole world does!’”

Customers downloaded it and used it to do their own tests. Scientists around the world have worked with it. “We just did not have proprietary access to this data,” Holmes added. In any case, the Galaxy is there to serve as a road map for breeders.

Which brings us to the tempest over Holmes’ comment that he was positioning Phylos to be acquired by a Big Ag outfit. He maintained he was misunderstood.
During his pitch to investors, Holmes said, he wasn’t talking about the beating heart of the small-farm cannabis world—craft cannabis flower, the stuff people smoke and use to enhance their brownie recipes. He was referring to so-called concentrates, the mass-market, cannabis-extracted oil that fills vape pens and that makes up not only topicals and most edibles, but also alternative delivery methods such as dabs, waxes, shatter, and live resin. “The part that was so shocking to people was I said ‘All of the cannabis today is gonna be replaced by new stuff.’” But, he pointed out, he was talking about plants used to make concentrates, not craft cannabis flower.

Projections by BDS Analytics for the US cannabis industry say that the market will be 35.5 percent concentrates by 2022, up from 26 percent in 2018, and that the flower market will make up an increasingly smaller percentage of the overall industry. “The flower market is incredibly diverse and innovative. There are thousands of varieties. It’s absolutely not true that new varieties would end up wiping out the old stuff,” Holmes said. “We make this huge distinction at Phylos between the mass market and the flower market. And there is no preserving diversity for the mass market.”

In other words, Holmes is committing the majority of Phylos resources toward breeding for the mass market, which will help the company afford the scientists and sophisticated equipment it takes to do all kinds of breeding work. "This is expensive science, and if we’re going to succeed in doing it, we’d have to focus our resources on the mass market. We knew that the flower market would be a smaller percentage and that we wouldn’t be able to focus much of our resources on it. And we also knew that that’s an endangered world that needs protecting, and we realize it’s incredibly diverse and no individual varieties are going to dominate that world—or should be allowed to dominate that world. So we always kept it separate.”

One of rumors swirling around the cannabis industry is that Holmes and other Phylos employees told breeders that the company would never do plant breeding. Interestingly, the only person I could find who would go on the record about this allegation was Matt Riot, owner of Riot Seeds in Bakersfield, California. “I was really skeptical from the start,” Riot said of sending in samples to the Phylos Galaxy.

Phylos knew this, according to Riot, and was courting him. “Every time they had private meetings with us—on the phone—they were trying to get me to send in stuff,” he said. About two years ago, during a phone conversation with senior business development manager Ben Adams, Riot said he asked, “Do you ever have plans to be a breeding company?” “And Adams said, ‘No no, of course not, we are strictly a testing company.’”

Adams denies this. "No, I never said that," he said. "I think I said, 'At this time, we’re not doing a breeding program.’"

The backlash in the industry has been so fierce it can be easy to overlook Phylos’ supporters. One of these is Kevin Jodrey, the cultivation director and owner of Wonderland Nursery in Humboldt County, California. He has been breeding cannabis for over 35 years, and it bothers him that his fellow breeders—so long in the shadows—often don’t get credit for all their research and development. “Breeders are artists,” Jodrey said. “They are focused and devoted on the art, and a lot of times they get screwed.”

When he first heard about the Galaxy, he sent in about 40 unique strains for genotyping. He did this, in part, to determine which dissimilar strains to breed with next. “Inbreeding allows you to ‘fix’ traits but—just like with the royals—you get some unbelievable superstar specimens but also a lot of really twisted ones,” Jodrey remarked.
But the main reason he signed on with Phylos’ sequencing program was to show that his varieties were in existence prior to other companies coming in and patenting them. “If you’ve been in the weed business your whole life, your lack of trust is pretty well-developed,” Jodrey told me in March. “I trust the company. They’ve always been very up front about what they’re trying to do. I respect the scientists—they have one of the best staffs I’ve ever met.”

He said he believes Phylos will work with old-school breeders and family-run cannabis farms, while the likes of Bayer won’t. “The people who are terrified of [Phylos] are going to have to deal with the guys who come next ... I see Phylos as a lifeboat to be able to move forward scientifically.” Even since the notorious pitch video surfaced, Jodrey has remained steadfast. “Everyone is losing their fucking minds! Have you ever done a pitch? If you tell your investors ‘No, I’m here to help people out,’ they don’t give you any money.”

Jodrey reported he’s received countless emails and texts from growers and breeders begging him to renounce Phylos. “My relationship with the company isn’t as important as my relationship with the scientists in the company. I know they’re good people.”
“If you’ve been in the weed business your whole life, your lack of trust is pretty well-developed.” —Kevin Jodrey, Wonderland Nursery
Even the East Fork guys are hopeful that Phylos will regain the trust it has lost in some way. “We are pretty certain that they have nice licensing agreements and purchase contracts in place with a lot of genetics they brought in-house,” said Walker, the CEO, referring to the royalties that Phylos is paying to breeders. Until recently, this sort of arrangement did not exist in the cannabis industry; breeders have never received royalties for their work.

Right now, most breeders do cloning in-house—that is, they take a cutting from the “mother” plant and grow it out. (Cannabis cultivars, like apple varieties, do not grow “true to type,” so the only reliable way to grow an exact replica of a plant you love is to clone it.) But growing clones is expensive—and takes up a lot of space. If you’re a breeder with a proprietary cultivar, you could give the mother plant to Conception Nurseries, which would quarantine it and give you clones of it on demand—which it says would cost less than keeping a “mother room” at your own grow operation.

Traditionally there’s been an abiding communal spirit in the cannabis industry—what Reggie Gaudino at Steep Hill refers to as the kumbaya ethic. “You give cuttings to all your friends and then they put it in dispensaries,” he said.

Should breeders choose to sell their proprietary strains via Conception Nurseries (and not just keep them in reserve for their own use), Phylos and Conception are devising a way to credit breeders for their long-term R&D—and pay them royalties.

Phylos already has licensing agreements in place that give growers a lump sum up front for their germplasm; other agreements give growers a royalty every time one of their clones, which can be identified with their farm’s name on it, sells. Additionally, Phylos has formed a Small Farmers Network that entitles members to a 20 percent discount on all tests, as well as early access to scientific discoveries that come out of Phylos’ breeding work. (Membership to the Small Farmers Network is free.)
Another Phylos initiative, the Breeding Innovation Network, is a collaboration with breeders who want to advance R&D. Any useful discoveries that come out of the network, for instance, will be shared across the network. (The raw data itself will not be shared within the group, but any products or best practices that come out of the data will.)

“Because of the nature of illegality over the last 100 years, [cannabis research] is very decentralized,” said Phylos head plant breeder Brian Campbell. “When you work with corn, wheat, or rice, there are massive international repositories. You want some germplasm? You just make a request and they send them to you. That doesn’t exist with cannabis.”

As wholesale prices for flower continue to plummet in several states that have legalized cannabis, Phylos hopes to help craft growers differentiate themselves by getting them strains that are loaded with interesting terpenes or that have high levels of cannabinoids such as CBG, CBC, and THCV, which (unlike THC) looks like it may be an appetite suppressant.

Yes, these new strains will cost slightly more, but Holmes believes that discerning consumers will pay more for better quality product, just as they do for organic chicken or local microbrews. “We’re gonna make plants that have very high levels of limonene and pinene that make people alert and energetic,” Holmes said. “We’re going to make amazing, amazing new weed.”

The Open Cannabis Project, which Holmes formed in part to protect the richness and diversity of the cannabis plant, folded in early May. On May 6, after digesting what she saw in the pitch video, Open Cannabis Project executive director Beth Schechter and her board decided to dissolve the organization. In a public statement she posted to Medium, Schechter wrote: “Through it all, and despite our best efforts, we’ve been called a fraud, a scam, and a cover for some kind of secret plot. At first, we thought it was simply a technical misunderstanding of the subject matter. Now we know that there is truth to some of these fears ... We sincerely believe in protecting small growers and breeders during this crucial transition to a legal market. We also feel we have been deceived.” Hence the decision to fold.

Holmes said the Open Cannabis Project knew that Phylos was doing breeding work and that Schechter and others on the board were shocked that Phylos would work with people from Big Ag businesses. “Progressives see those companies as truly evil, and [Schechter] didn’t have a framework for understanding how we could possibly be working with them,” he added. “The idea that you could have one foot in both worlds and still be committed to being an ethical company—that’s impossible for many people to wrap their heads around. It’s too bad, because that stance is a decision to leave all of this scientific power in the hands of people you don’t trust."
When I spoke to Schechter at the end of May, she made it clear that the Open Cannabis Project had been struggling financially anyway and also had philosophical differences on its board about open source data versus patents. The Phylos situation, while not the only reason the project shuttered, was just the last straw. She sounded exhausted and relieved, but also more forgiving of Phylos than others in the cannabis community I’d spoken to. “Ultimately, their accountability and ability to make amends will be seen in the future,” she said. “I have faith in a lot of the people there. I really hope the top brass hears this, sees this, steers the ship a little bit back to the community-based, ethics-based origins that I truly believe were part of the origins of Phylos.”

Schechter wanted everyone to know that Mowgli Holmes is not a bad person. “He’s a human who tried to do right by everyone, but he made a big mistake. He was trying to please everyone and that just does not work.”

In the months and years to come, it will be telling to see if Phylos can deliver on all the promises it has made to small-scale breeders and growers. However, the clock is ticking. As soon as cannabis is federally legal, Big Ag will be free to enter the market, and much of the genetic diversity that Phylos has sought to preserve and nurture could be wiped out.

If Holmes and his team can quickly deliver a steady income stream for struggling breeders and give growers the tools they need to protect crops from diseases, they just might regain their reputation as a good ag science company—and be able to impact the evolution of the cannabis industry.

I will probably get a lot of blow back for this, but I rather agree that CBD is currently being marketed like snake oil of the past...that is, "it'll cure all that ails you".

Yes, I have seen vids of kids with seizure disorders and the miraculous impact CBD has on them. And I know that there are many with other ailments who claim to find relief from CBD (disclosure, it don't do squat for my neuropathic pain) and I have no reason to disbelieve them although I am very aware of the possible impact of the plecebo effect.

Nonetheless, I believe that marketing has gotten WAY in front of any sort of research or even just consensus knowledge

Curaleaf targeted in FDA crackdown on CBD marketing

The most valuable marijuana company in the U.S. is under fire for how it’s marketing and selling CBD, the trendy cannabis extract now sold at national retailers.

The Food and Drug Administration sent Curaleaf Holdings Inc. President Joseph Lusardi a letter Monday warning the company its lotion, pain-relief patch, tincture and disposable vape pen are considered drugs because they claim to treat conditions like pain, anxiety and ADHD, according to language on its website and social media pages.

The Wakefield, Massachusetts-based company’s share price plunged more than 14 per cent on Tuesday, the biggest drop this year. Curaleaf didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

CBD, which doesn’t produce a high, is legal when derived from hemp, but the FDA hasn’t yet approved its use as an ingredient in food and beverages. The only clinically approved use for the cannabis compound is to treat rare forms of childhood epilepsy.

Still, CBD has been showing up in a host of consumer products since it was decriminalized last year by Congress. CVS Health Corp. began selling nonintoxicating hemp-derived CBD at more than 800 of its stores as part of a distribution deal with Curaleaf in March. The FDA didn’t mention CVS in the letter. CVS didn’t immediately reply to a request for comment and its Curaleaf webpage wasn’t loading as of 10:34 a.m in New York.

The FDA hasn’t determined how it will regulate CBD but has said it will go after companies that claim to treat diseases with the product without agency approval.

“Selling unapproved products with unsubstantiated therapeutic claims -- such as claims that CBD products can treat serious diseases and conditions -- can put patients and consumers at risk by leading them to put off important medical care,” acting FDA Commissioner Ned Sharpless said in a statement Tuesday when the letter was made public. There are still “many unanswered questions about the science, safety, effectiveness and quality of unapproved products containing CBD,” he said.

Marijuana Still Has Momentum in 2019

At the beginning of 2019, hopes were high that as many as four or five states would legalize marijuana through the legislative process this year. That didn’t happen, and the failure of both New Jersey and New York to get it done was especially dispiriting, given that governors and legislative leaders alike said they supported it.
As we pass the mid-point of the year, and most state legislatures have adjourned, it’s looking increasingly like we will have to settle for Illinois having gotten it done in 2019. But that’s a glass half-empty attitude. In a report released Monday, the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) sees a lot of progress this year.
“Virtually every legislature in the country is taking a close look at its marijuana policies, and many have adopted significant reforms in 2019,” MPP director of state policies and lead report author Karen O’Keefe said in a press release accompanying the report. “Not a single legislature moved to repeal or roll back a medical cannabis or legalization law. Particularly with the first-of-its-kind legalization victory in Illinois, 2019 has been a milestone year for MPP and our movement.”

One state, though, was called out for bucking the forward trend. MPP identified South Dakota as “the most stagnant,” noting that it “has the dubious distinction of being the only state where there has been no forward progress on marijuana policies in 2019. The state lacks a medical cannabis, decriminalization, and legalization law, and no legislator even put forth a proposal to improve marijuana policies this year. While the legislature did pass a hemp bill in 2019, Gov. Kristi Noem (R) vetoed the modest measure, and the legislature could not muster the votes for an override. The Mount Rushmore State is also the only state that criminalizes “internal possession” — meaning a person can legally use marijuana in Canada but face jail time if they test positive in South Dakota.”
Still, calling it “a historic year for marijuana policy and the movement, ” MPP pointed to 27 states where legalization bills were filed, decriminalization in three states, and progress in Congress, as well as incremental positive changes, such as expanding existing medical marijuana programs or adding on-site consumption to an existing legalization law.
And MPP even created a Top 10 2019 pot policy achievements. Here they are:
  1. Marijuana Legalization in Illinois. On June 25, Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker made history by signing into law the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act (CRTA) The Illinois House and Senate had approved the CRTA in late May. Adults 21 and older will be allowed to possess and purchase cannabis starting on January 1, 2020.
  2. U.S. House Prevents Federal Intervention.For the first time ever, the U.S. House of Representatives approved a budget rider to prevent federal interference with adult-use marijuana laws.
  3. Decriminalization in New Mexico. New Mexico decriminalizes marijuana, reducing the penalty for up to half an ounce of marijuana to a $50 civil fine.
  4. Medical Marijuana in GeorgiaGeorgia approved in-state production of medical marijuana with up to 5% THC.
  5. Decriminalization in North Dakota. North Dakota reduced the penalty for up to half an ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor to an infraction carrying a maximum fine of $1,000.
  6. Decriminalization of Very Small Amounts in Hawaii. Hawaii reduced the penalty for up to three grams of cannabis from up to 30 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000 to a $130 civil fine.
  7. On-Site Consumption in Colorado. Colorado legalized and regulated cannabis hospitality — such as cannabis cafes — in localities that opt in.
  8. Home Delivery in Colorado. Colorado legalized home delivery.
  9. Employment Protection in Nevada. Nevada prohibited most employers from conducting pre-job offer drug testing.
  10. Guam Legalizes Marijuana. The U.S. territory of Guam legalizes and regulated marijuana for adults’ use.

Further on Curaleaf and the FDA over CBD

Curaleaf sends response to FDA letter

Curaleaf Holdings, Inc. (CSE: CURA) (OTCQX: CURLF) (“Curaleaf” or “the Company”), the leading vertically integrated cannabis operator in the United States, responded yesterday to a letter from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (“FDA”) informing FDA that the Company has addressed the issues that were raised in the letter regarding its CBD product marketing.

Upon receiving the letter, Curaleaf Hemp, the Company’s hemp-based CBD product line, immediately began an extensive review of its website and social media platforms to remove all statements that FDA identified as non-compliant. This includes removing the Curaleaf Hemp blog, and the third-party links in it, and removing any statements and social media posts to which FDA had taken exception. Additionally, Curaleaf Hemp advised FDA that a number of the products mentioned in the FDA letter had previously been discontinued. Curaleaf Hemp will continue to work diligently to ensure that information it provides to consumers on its website and social media platforms are fully compliant with FDA requirements.

“Our industry needs, wants and appreciates the work the FDA is doing to ensure there is regulation and compliance in the CBD marketplace,” said Joseph Lusardi, CEO of Curaleaf.

“We care deeply about our customers and making a difference in our industry. Curaleaf is committed to being an ethical and responsible company and working with the FDA to be a leader in our industry, setting the standards and guidelines to best service our customers and the communities we serve.”

Why a Federally Licensed Marijuana Researcher is Suing the DEA

Dr. Sue Sisley holds the rare distinction of being licensed by the Drug Enforcement Administration to study marijuana, so why is she suing the DEA over its marijuana research policies?

In June, Sisley's Scottsdale Research Institute filed suit in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, asking that the Attorney General and the DEA be ordered to process its application to grow marijuana for clinical research. In the filing, Sisley claims that the DEA has created a monopoly around federally licensed marijuana research. By requiring that researchers only use marijuana from the University of Mississippi for their studies, she says, federally licensed marijuana researchers are limited to low-grade cannabis without proper variety.

Sisley, who's received funding for her research from Colorado and recently completed a federal study about marijuana's effects on military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder under the Food and Drug Administration, has complained about the quality of Ole Miss's cannabis in the past. Now, she's concerned that her study's results may have been compromised by poor cannabis quality, explaining that the marijuana is far less potent than strains available in dispensaries or on the black market; the limited strains from Mississippi are also mixed together, which affects the quality of cannabis and correlations between strain and effect, she says.

“Most scientists end up with this mishmash of different strains (including stem sticks, leaves, etc.) — all of it seems to get thrown into a grinder in an overzealous effort to standardize the study drug batches for clinical trials," Sisley says in a statement about her suit. "I’m arguing that by doing that, they’re overprocessing the plant and decimating the natural efficacy contained in the flowering tops. Further, in controlled trials we issue patients the study drug by weight."

Mississippi has been the only legal supplier of cannabis for federally approved research since the '60s. In 2016, the DEA announced that it would increase the number of permitted cannabis growers, but no additional permits have been issued since then, despite over thirty applications. Sisley says she's done waiting.

“Maintaining only one federally legal drug supply for any clinical trials in the U.S. has been a huge impediment to research because it’s not allowing scientists access to necessary options," she explains. "We can’t just study from one supplier who seems to be limited from purchasing new genetics. And when there’s a monopoly for this many decades, it tends to breed apathy. There’s no real drive to respond to the public, to be responsive to the demands of scientists, no real need to innovate in the direction of what patients want.”

Asked about federal cannabis cultivation permitting, a DEA spokesperson says that the agency is "still working through the process and those applications remain under review." The agency does not comment on pending litigation.

But Sisley is likely to have much more to say about the current medical cannabis monopoly when she delivers one of the keynote addresses at Microscopes & Machines, a hemp and cannabis science conference, in Los Angeles on July 27.

This is an interesting read.
Great article. Thank you, @Bcbud

3 unlikely States are trying to legalize marijuana in 2020

Ready or not, election season has begun. Last month, 20 presidential candidates from the Democratic ticket held two separate debates (10 candidates for each debate), with the field having now grown to roughly two dozen hopefuls.
But this isn't the only battle brewing. There's another topic that's garnering a lot of buzz throughout America, and it's going to get its share of the limelight in 2020. I'm talking about the green rush, marijuana.
According to Gallup's latest poll, a record 66% of American adults surveyed this past October supported the idea of legalizing cannabis on a national level. That's up from a mere 25% who supported legalization in 1995, the year before California became the first state to give the green light to medical marijuana. Today, 33 states have approved the use of medical marijuana for select ailments, with 11 also allowing recreational pot consumption.
Perhaps the bigger question is: Which states will be looking to legalize recreational and/or medical marijuana in 2020?
These states will be looking to legalize recreational cannabis in 2020
There are a number of states that you'd expect to be making a push toward legalization, either at the legislative level or through a ballot vote.
For example, Arizona just missed out on passing a recreational legalization measure in 2016 by roughly two percentage points. Historically, states that have failed to pass recreational legalization measures (e.g., California and Oregon) have succeeded on the second go-around. With cannabis activist groups expected to focus on Arizona in 2020, it's a strong contender to get a ballot initiative approved, and to legalize.

At the legislative level, New Jersey will be pushing to get its recreational pot initiative back on track. The Garden State looked to have the finish line in sight earlier this year, but ran into problems when lawmakers introduced social issues into the mix, such as expunging certain cannabis-related convictions. Considering how long it took New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) and his legislature to get on the same page regarding taxation in the proposed cannabis bill, a 2020 legalization effort in New Jersey is a clear work in progress.
The same could be said for New York, which may attempt a round two of its own at the legislative level. Like New Jersey, the Empire State appears to have plenty of support for recreational legalization. The concern is that New York lawmakers are also fighting for various social issues that would potentially expunge non-violent pot-related offenses, similar to the marijuana legalization bill that recently passed in Illinois. Passage may not be a given in 2020 if social issues are also included in legalization efforts.
Rows of voting booths with attached pamphlets.

Say what? These unlikely states are trying to legalize adult-use marijuana!
But what might come as a big surprise are the three states whose residents are currently gathering signatures to put recreational legalization bills on their respective ballots for vote in 2020, or whose legislatures are reviewing pending amendments. These states would qualify as surprises given that all three have historically been led by Republicans – members of the GOP usually have a more negative view on marijuana than Democrats or Independents -- and none of the three have even legalized medical marijuana.
The first is Mississippi, which is attempting to pass the Mississippi Marijuana Legalization Amendment to the state's constitution in 2020. The measure, submitted by the Mississippi Cannabis Freedom Fund, would allow individuals age 18 and older to buy and possess cannabis, and it would also legalize medical marijuana. The amendment is currently pending review, but if passed would spread collectible tax revenue to in-state education (40%), in-state healthcare (40%), and Mississippi's General Tax Fund (20%).
The second shocker is Nebraska, whose residents are gathering signatures to get the Nebraska Cannabis Legalization Initiative on the 2020 ballot. This measure is designed to amend the Cornhusker State's constitution by adding the following clause: "The object of the Nebraska Cannabis Initiative Petition is to amend the Constitution of Nebraska by adding a new section to Article XV which states that any person in the State of Nebraska has the right to use any plant in the genus Cannabis L. and any parts of such plant in the State of Nebraska." Signature are due by July 2, 2020, with the need being 10% of the state's registered voters, and at least 5% of voters in two-fifths of the state's 93 counties.
Third and finally, residents of South Dakota are also gathering signatures to get the South Dakota Marijuana Legalization Initiative on the 2020 ballot. This measure would legalize cannabis use for persons aged 21 and over, would disallow localities from taxing marijuana and cannabis paraphernalia, and would prohibit law enforcement from keeping state records of marijuana use or possession, as well as paraphernalia possession. Nearly 17,000 signatures of residents will be required to get the initiative on the ballot, with Nov. 3, 2019 being the deadline for collection.
Clearly labeled jars containing dried cannabis buds on a dispensary store counter.

Cannabis has come a long way
Although these three states should be considered long shots to legalize in 2020, the simple fact that the wheels are even being put in motion toward legalization demonstrates just how far the marijuana movement has come in a relatively short period of time. With a number of states likely to take the next step in 2020, U.S. cannabis stocks are now squarely in focus.
Even though consolidation has been the name of the game among multistate operators, licenses only tell half the story. Rather, with legalization becoming more of the norm, Wall Street and investors want to see results. That means operational retail stores, grow farms, and processing sites are what really matter.
Curaleaf Holdings (NASDAQOTH:CURLF), for instance, has been growing its store count organically and through acquisitions. Curaleaf has approximately four dozen open locations, which is tops among vertically integrated dispensary operators, and will have a presence in 19 states following the closure of its recently announced $875 million cash-and-stock deal to buy privately held Grassroots. Don't get me wrong, Curaleaf's 131 total retail store licenses is also impressive, but having the most open locations – it'll have a combined 68 operational stores once the Grassroots deal closes -- gives it a clear leg-up on the competition.
Cresco Labs (NASDAQOTH:CRLBF) makes for another interesting play, assuming it closes its acquisition of Origin House (NASDAQOTH:ORHOF). Cresco Labs expects to have a presence in 11 states (on a pro forma basis), with the ability to open as many as 56 retail locations. But the intrigue surrounds the all-stock Origin House deal. Since Origin House is one of a small handful of companies to hold a cannabis distribution license in California, Cresco will be able to get its in-house-branded products into more than 500 dispensaries in the Golden State. This, of course, isn't the only state where Origin House offers a value-added proposition to Cresco. In fact, Wall Street opines that Cresco may lead all pot stocks in total sales in 2020.
Suffice it to say, if you don't have U.S. dispensary operators on your radar, perhaps now is the time to change that.

DEA ordered to explain delay in acting on medical marijuana research applications

A federal appellate court ordered the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration to respond within a month to a lawsuit claiming that it’s unlawfully failed to act on medical cannabis research applications since 2016.

Such research is critical to assessing public health benefits, which in turn could create additional industry opportunities.

The order by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia gives the DEA 30 days to file a response “not to exceed 7,800 words.”

In June, the Scottsdale Research Institute in Arizona filed a court complaint to compel the DEA to process the applications, calling the delay “unlawful and unreasonable” and causing harm to public health.

Despite congressional pressure for the DEA to act, only the University of Mississippi has been granted federal authorization to grow research cannabis.

In its complaint, the Phoenix-based Scottsdale Research Institute called the cannabis grown there as “sub-par.”

U.S. Attorney General William Barr said at a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing in April that he would look into the status of the applications, but the DEA still hasn’t taken action.

Frustrated lawmakers recently introduced legislation to accelerate medical cannabis research.

Narco Nuns: Sisters Make Oil And Soap From Cannabis Believing It Is A "Gift From God"

The Sisters of the Valley are a group of self-ordained nuns whose order was founded in 2014. They're not ordinary monastics, though. These nuns love weed. Headed by 58-year-old Sister Kate, the order is headquartered in California's Central Valley, where their mini weed empire is flourishing. Their bent is more spiritual than religious and more compassionate than punitive. The sisters are running a successful business and extolling the virtues of marijuana, all while living in a community of shared sisterhood.
It all started when Sister Kate moved from Wisconsin to California in 2009. She and her brother started a marijuana collective called Caregrowers but over time, she was drawn to create types of marijuana that could give users the same health benefits without smoking. After working with other women in the collective, Sister Kate found the need to create her order.

They're Not Affiliated With The Catholic Church

they_re-not-affiliated-with-the-catholic-church-photo-u1.jpeg

Obviously, the Sisters of the Valley are not connected in any way with the Catholic church. They aren't even a splinter group that holds allegiance to Catholic ideals. In fact, the Sisters observe no religion whatsoever. "We're against religion, so we're not a religion," Sister Kate said. "We consider ourselves Beguine revivalists, and we reach back to pre-Christian practices."
The Beguine revivalists did not believe in spreading any type of religious dogma, and the Sisters adhere closely to this tenet.

They Believe In The Healing Powers Of Cannabis

they-believe-in-the-healing-powers-of-cannabis-photo-u3.jpeg

The Sisters think that cannabis is "truly God's gift." The products they create, however, are not going to get you high. Each item lovingly and carefully manufactured by the Sisters is rich in the healing cannabinoids (CBD) of marijuana. Their items do not contain THC, the chemical compound that makes you high.
The Sisters of the Valley recognize the healing power of cannabis and it is that power that they want to share with the world.

They Produce Cannabis Products

they-produce-cannabis-products-photo-u1.jpeg

Photo: Sisters of the Valley/Facebook
While you won't find special strains of Mary Jane or stocks of weed edibles in the Sisters' inventory, you will find a variety of cannabis-infused products designed to help you heal. They sell salves and tinctures, all organic and free of pesticides. Products are tested in a lab and rigorous quality control standards are set for every item.
In other words, they're not just a bunch of stoners cooking up weed lotions in a crock pot. Their's are tried and tested health products that aim to alleviate pain and suffering.

They Made $750,000 In Sales In 2016

they-made-_750-000-in-sales-in-2016-photo-u1.jpeg

The Sisters are having a bumper crop. Since they started selling products in January 2015, their sales have increased exponentially. In 2016 alone, Sister Kate estimates that they did about $750,000 in sales. They recognize, however, that the current presidential administration is far from pot-friendly and could impact their business. They're worried about the future.

They're Looking To Expand To Canada

they_re-looking-to-expand-to-canada-photo-u1.jpeg

The concern about the business being shut down by the anti-marijuana Trump Administration has led Sister Kate to set her eyes on Canada. "The thing Trump has done for us is put a fire under our butts to get launched in another country," she said. "Our response to Trump is Canada."
Sister Kate has plans to start a Canadian operation in the next few months. While they already sell online to Canadian customers, having a Canadian-based location would help diversify their interests and further spread the cannabis love.

They Aim To Empower Women

they-aim-to-_free-women_-photo-u1.jpeg

The Sisters call themselves "New Age, anarchist, activist nuns." And as such, they aren't interested in perpetuating the myths and stereotypes that Catholicism has long heaped upon women. In fact, their goal is just the opposite of that. They want their community to empower and free women.
"A sister becomes a sister through a commercial relationship and earning a wage or a commission and we want to grow this way because we want to free the women," said Sister Kate. "We don't want to make them more dependent."

The Head Of The Order Started Dressing As A Nun During The Occupy Movement

the-head-of-the-order-started-dressing-as-a-nun-during-the-occupy-movement-photo-u1.jpeg

Sister Kate may have never been an official Catholic nun but that hasn't stopped her from dressing like one. She first started dressing as a nun during the Occupy Movement, adopting the moniker Sister Occupy. Born Christine Meeusen, Sister Kate was long fascinated by nuns.
The first time she wore a habit to an Occupy protest it was nothing more than an old Halloween costume. Now, it's her calling.

There's No Vow Of Chastity

there_s-no-vow-of-chastity-photo-u1.jpeg

Obviously, as nuns who smoke weed and produce marijuana-infused products, the Sisters of the Valley are already bucking tradition. They're also redefining what it means to be part of a spiritual order. For example, these women are not required to take a vow of celibacy upon joining because their sex lives are their own business. The women do take other vows, though. According to Sister Kate:
"We take a vow of obedience to the moon cycles, we take a vow of chastity (which we don't think requires celibacy), and a vow of ecology, which is a vow to do no harm while you're making the medicine."

They Don't Worship The "Holy Trinity" Of Cannabis

they-don_t-worship-the-_holy-trinity_-of-cannabis-photo-u1.jpeg

When the Sisters first started attracting media attention, it was widely reported that they worshipped the "Holy Trinity" of cannabis. But this is simply not true because, as Sister Kate points out, "How can one thing be a trinity?" Since the metaphor has stuck and the Sisters are constantly asked about it, Sister Kate decided to adopt a sort of trinity for her order, saying:
"Because so many people have said that the cannabis plant is our holy trinity, I actually, in the last couple of days, came up with a cannabis plant holy trinity analogy. That is, that the plant is compassionate, it is cooperative, and it is intelligent."
They Are Not Universally Beloved

they-are-not-universally-beloved-photo-u1.jpeg

Despite the good work that the Sisters are doing, they are not universally well-liked and their work is not widely appreciated. It also doesn't help that many laws pertaining to marijuana and marijuana regulation fall into a legal gray area. This has created an atmosphere of persecution that can be hard to shake. The Sisters' Etsy shop was shut down and their town, Merced, California, has created roadblocks for medical marijuana cardholders to grow their own weed.
The Sisters also recognize that Jeff Sessions might have even more opposition to cannabis cultivation in the future.

There Is A Spiritual Aspect To The Operation, Despite The Lack Of Organized Religion

there-is-a-spiritual-aspect-to-the-operation-despite-the-lack-of-organized-religion-photo-u1.jpeg

While you won't find any genuflecting or self-flagellation among the Sisters of the Valley, you will find that they are in touch with the spiritual side of the work they're doing. They operate their business according to the cycles of the moon and they say a little healing prayer with each bottle of product they create. Sister Kate explained"
"We make our medicine new moon to full moon, and we work every day in our habits and those are the days we do prayer ceremonies and focus on the medicine. As soon as we're through a full moon, we're in a relaxation state for two weeks. It's during that time that we are more relaxed and more likely to be out and about,"
They've Smoked With Aubrey Plaza

Early in 2017, Aubrey Plaza released a movie called The Little Hours, in which she played a nun. As part of the promotional tour for the film, she met up with the Sisters and they smoked together. They also discussed spiritual matters. The Sisters gave Plaza a lesson in marijuana cultivation and shared stories about their lives.

Though they get noticeably more bleary-eyed throughout, the video gives a revealing look into the life of a Valley nun.

DEA needs to be pounded like a tent peg....all they are doing is lying and stalling.

Three years ago the DEA said they would remove roadblocks to cannabis research — they still haven't

It’s been nearly three years since the Drug Enforcement Administration formally announced plans to facilitate FDA-approved marijuana-related research in the United States. Unfortunately, in the 36 months since then, the agency has woefully failed to follow through on their pledge.
In August 2016, the agency announced that it had a adopted a new policy “to increase the number of entities registered under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) to grow marijuana to supply legitimate researchers in the United States.”
This policy change is necessary and long overdue. That is because under federal regulations dating back to the late 1960s, only a single licensed entity – the University of Mississippi — is permitted to cultivate cannabis for clinical research purposes.
This monopoly has stifled clinical investigations into the marijuana plant. Notably, the cannabis grown by the university is often of poor quality and typically fails to reflect the wide variety of strains and products commonly used by the general public.
Specifically, a research analysis published earlier this year by investigators at the University of Northern Colorado reported that the program’s marijuana strains more closely resemble industrial hemp (a low-THC variety of the plant grown for fiber content) than the varieties of cannabis commonly available in dispensaries throughout the country.
According to the program’s current marijuana menu, no available samples contain more than seven percent THC and all samples contain less than one percent CBD — a therapeutic compound of growing interest to scientists, and which has already been developed in an FDA-approved medicine by a British pharmaceutical company. (Great Britain, unlike the United States, licenses private entities to grow marijuana for clinical research purposes and for drug development. Other countries, including Canada and Israel, do so as well).
Moreover, U-Miss’s "research-grade" marijuana is only available to scientists in the form in rolled cigarettes. Marijuana-infused oils, edibles and capsules — items that are now commonplace in both medical and adult-use states — are not available to investigators absent explicit permission from the DEA to import such products from countries outside of the United States.
Scientists wishing to better study the effects cannabis plant in controlled human trials have long been aware of these onerous hurdles, which often discourage many investigators from engaging in such activities.
Similarly, the DEA is also well aware of program’s shortcomings and how these regulatory hurdles limit scientific discovery into the cannabis plant. In fact, the agency highlighted the reality that the single grower system does not adequately meet existing demand, nor does it allow for commercial product development in their August 2016 statement.
It acknowledged:
Under the historical system, there was no clear legal pathway for commercial enterprises to produce marijuana for product development. In contrast, under the new approach explained in this policy statement, persons may become registered with DEA to grow marijuana not only to supply federally funded or other academic researchers, but also for strictly commercial endeavors funded by the private sector and aimed at drug product development. Likewise, under the new approach, should the state of scientific knowledge advance in the future such that a marijuana-derived drug is shown to be safe and effective for medical use, pharmaceutical firms will have a legal means of producing such drugs in the United States.
Nonetheless, the so-called “historical system” still remains fully in place. Despite having received more than two-dozen applications from private manufacturers seeking DEA licensure to cultivate cannabis, the agency has yet to take action to either affirm or deny a single request.
Moreover, in May of 2018, former DEA Administrator Robert Patterson appeared to walk back the DEA’s 2016 pronouncement when he testified that licensing additional, private applicants may be inconsistent with international drug treaty obligations. This past May, a coalition of lawmakers sent a letter to the DEA and U.S. Attorney General William Barr demanding to know: “What steps have DEA and DOJ taken to review the [26] cannabis manufacturer applications currently pending? What are the reasons these applications have not been approved?”
Predictably, neither the agency nor the attorney general have yet to provide any answers.
In an era where public and scientific interest in the cannabis plant, particularly with regard to its therapeutic properties, has never been greater, the existing hurdles to marijuana research are an artifact of a bygone era.
In the interest of public health, the longstanding monopoly on the growing of cannabis for FDA-approved research ought to be abolished, and the DEA and the Justice Department should move expeditiously to follow through on their promise to facilitate scientific studies on marijuana and its effects. Further failure to act is unacceptable and any future delays on the part of these agencies should warrant swift and immediate action by Congress.
Paul Armentano is the deputy director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. He is the co-author of "Marijuana Is Safer: So Why Are We Driving People to Drink?" and author of "The Citizen’s Guide to State-By-State Marijuana Laws."

The Museum of Weed by Weedmaps is Set to Open on August 3 in Los Angeles

The Museum of Weed in Los Angeles is an interactive 30,000 square foot museum with seven exhibits, art installations, a plant lab, artifacts, a store, café, and other features. Those interested in the experience can do so on the August 3 opening day, or thereafter.

According to a Thrillist, exhibits will tell the story of “growers, stoners, and activists who expanded knowledge of the plant and kept the cannabis movement alive despite decades of government prohibition and propaganda.” It adds that exhibits will also present marijuana’s role over the years, including times of the counterculture revolution, war on drugs, and more.
Chris Beals, the CEO of Weedmaps, shared in a press release,
“Our goal with the Weedmaps Museum of Weed is to demystify cannabis and its role in society, and to draw attention to the impact prohibition of cannabis has had on various social groups in the US and beyond.”
He added,
“The Weedmaps Museum of Weed will combine all the immersive elements you’d expect to find in the world’s finest museums across multiple categories, including cultural, fine art, and natural history.”

The Museum of Weed by Weedmaps is Set to Open on August 3 in Los Angeles

The Museum of Weed in Los Angeles is an interactive 30,000 square foot museum with seven exhibits, art installations, a plant lab, artifacts, a store, café, and other features. Those interested in the experience can do so on the August 3 opening day, or thereafter.

According to a Thrillist, exhibits will tell the story of “growers, stoners, and activists who expanded knowledge of the plant and kept the cannabis movement alive despite decades of government prohibition and propaganda.” It adds that exhibits will also present marijuana’s role over the years, including times of the counterculture revolution, war on drugs, and more.
Chris Beals, the CEO of Weedmaps, shared in a press release,

He added,
I know where I'm going on vacation... :weed:

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back