Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?
Cancer Patients Using Cannabis 'Doing Better…Feeling Better'

SAN FRANCISCO — "So let me know if you've ever seen a patient like this: 70-year-old guy, metastatic lung cancer, who's using oxycodone. He's using long-acting morphine for breathlessness and bone pain. He's going to be starting chemo and immunotherapy soon. And, usually right as you're walking out the door, he says, 'Doc, should I be using that CBD [cannabidiol] that's advertised everywhere?'

"So what do you tell such a patient? Do you feel equipped to answer this question?"

These were the questions posed by Daniel Bowles, MD, an associate professor of medicine-medical oncology at the University of Colorado, Boulder.

He was speaking here at the Supportive Care in Oncology Symposium (SCOS) 2019 during a special session on cannabis use.

"We're talking about this here because oncologists talk about this all the time," said Bowles.

He highlighted a survey published last year in the Journal of Clinical Oncologythat showed that 80% of oncologists reported that they discussed cannabis use with their patients. Half had recommended it to their patients for "some reason or another, but only 30% felt comfortable talking about it," he commented.

That survey showed that about a third of oncologists think that cannabis is as effective or more effective than standard therapies, and about two thirds of medical oncologists felt that it was a successful adjunct to the medications that patients were already receiving.

The survey also found that cannabis was being recommended for a wide range of symptoms, including poor appetite, nausea, vomiting, anxiety, depression, and coping problems. Overall, cannabis was believed to be as effective or more effective than current therapies. For example, when used for poor appetite/cachexia, 64.5% of oncologists felt cannabis was more effective, 8% thought it was less effective, and 27.6% were unsure.

Bowles also highlighted a study published last year in the European Journal of Internal Medicine, which was reported at the time by Medscape Medical News, that surveyed nearly 3000 cancer patients in Israel. The researchers found that 70% of patients said that cannabis helped with sleep problems, more than half reported that it helped with fatigue, nausea, and vomiting, and about 75% said it helped with anxiety. Additionally, about a third of patients reported that cannabis was useful in decreasing their use of opioids.

Bowles noted that this was a retrospective study, so confounders have to be accounted for. "There could be a placebo effect to this," he said. "These are people who've been selected for using opiates," he pointed out.

Less Opiate Use?
Cannabis use may potentiate the effect of opiates, Bowles commented. "And maybe that's what helps decrease our opiate needs in some situations, vs it being just a different way of attacking a pain, and so you have better pain control."

"There are some anecdotal and population-based studies looking at opiate prescriptions overall in states that have legalized marijuana to some degree or another. And there is a correlation with the introduction of marijuana legalization laws and decreased opiate usage," he said.

There is a correlation, but not causation. "I think there are lots of other things that could play into this, but it is an interesting signal that I think needs to be followed up on," he said.

New Data From Clinical Trial
At the same session, new data from a small clinical trial showed that cannabis use led to improved pain control and a reduction in the use of opioids.

These data were presented by Dylan Zylla, MD, medical oncologist and hematologist at the Park Nicollet Foundation, HealthPartners Institute, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

This study was conducted in 30 patients with stage IV cancer who required opioids. In the study, patients were randomly assigned to receive either early cannabis use or later use (control).

The study was structured as a "sort of a randomization to early vs delayed," said Zylla. "The early group got cannabis for 3 months right off the bat, and the delayed group served as our standard-of-care or control group. This control group was 'enticed' to remain in the study and be randomized, because they would receive cannabis as the study progressed.

"Part of the problem with this study is we had a pretty high dropout rate," Zylla said. "A lot of people, especially in the delayed-cannabis arm, ended up going to hospice or dying, actually even in the first 3 months of the study. Unfortunately, we also had a lot of insufficient data."

Overall, the results showed that patients who received cannabis at the start of the study did not require opioid dose escalation. Their mean pain score was lower than that of patients in the control group, and their quality-of-life scores were similar to the control group's, Zylla reported.

At 3 months, the mean pain score, measured on a scale of 0 to 10, declined in patients in the early group from 5.3 to 4.7, whereas it remained the same, at 6.1 to 6, among control patients.

Likewise, the mean personalized pain goal dropped 3.4 to 3.0 in the early group, vs 4.1 to 3.8 for the control patients. The percentage of patients who met that goal rose from 25% to 44% in the early-use group but declined among control patients from 38% to 13%.

Importantly, opioid use remained stable in the early-cannabis group. The mean daily oral morphine equivalent (OME) was 55 at baseline and 54 at 3 months, whereas in the control group, it rose from 35 to 67.

"Forty-four percent of patients [in the early-use group] had a 20% reduction in their OME at 3 months, vs zero [in the late-use group]," said Zylla.

By the end of the 6-month study period, nearly half of the patients (47%) in the delayed-cannabis group had died, compared to only 20% in the early-cannabis arm.

"I think there are some potentially important things here in terms of the results," Zylla commented. "The optimist in me might say that patients who received cannabis 3 months earlier were doing better," he continued. "They were able to tolerate their treatments better, get through things better, and were feeling better overall, " he noted.

"Who knows? Maybe there's a magical anticancer benefit of the cannabis," he said, half jokingly, "but it's far too early to say that."

The take-away message is that cannabis was generally well tolerated in this study. It may have led to improved pain control, as well as improvement in other symptoms, and it may have lowered opiate requirements, Zylla commented. "And so somebody just like you, who treats these patients with these symptoms ― you've got a medicine for pain, you've got a medicine for nausea, for anxiety, for insomnia, for all these things," he said. "And cannabis is that one medicine that might do all of those things and do it in a relatively safe way."

But the caveat is that "we don't really know how to use it," he emphasized.

"We don't have the data to guide us on dosing, or products, or types, and that's where further research like this is needed."

Zylla and his team have several studies in development, a few of which have already received funding. They are hoping to launch in early 2020.

A Few More Points
Bowles pointed out a few more issues that oncologists should be aware of when talking about cannabis with their patients. One is that there are different ways of ingesting cannabis — it can be smoked, vaped, or received as edibles or tinctures. The onset and duration of the effect will vary, depending on the method used, so it is important for oncologists to ask patients what type of product they are using, he said.

Dosage is also important, but it can be difficult "to exactly know what is the right therapeutic dose, both in terms of efficacy but also in terms of concerns for toxicity," Bowles noted. He emphasized that in "real life," this can be confusing and intimidating for patients. It is also difficult to find out how much a patient is using in terms of milligrams of CBD and THC, the two primary components.

Cannabinoids interact pharmacologically with other agents, but the clinical importance of these interactions is not yet clear, Bowles commented.

There is also evidence that cannabis may interfere with immunotherapy. Some research has suggested that for patients with melanomas, kidney cancers, and lung cancers, use of cannabis is associated with lower response rates. But this finding did not correlate with overall survival or progression-free survival, he noted.

"I don't think we can say anything definitive based upon this, but you can make an argument," Bowles said. "Cannabinoids have anti-inflammatory properties, and we avoid other anti-inflammatory drugs when people are on these agents, so you can spin a little bit of a yarn that maybe this is important."

In his practice, he does bring this point up with patients who are receiving immunotherapies, telling them that "we just don't know in this situation. If there are other agents that work as well to control your symptoms, maybe we should be trying those instead."

Summarizing, Bowles said that his take-home message for oncologists is, as a general rule of thumb, to use the lowest effective dose possible and then titrate up slowly. "Listen to reports of side effects and be aware of what the rules are in your own state, because different states are more rigorous than others in terms of how products are processed, validated, etc," he said. "And then do beware of drug interactions.

"I think, more than anything, if we're going to use this like a medication, we should use it like a medication, knowing that it's not nearly as tightly controlled as many of our other agents," he concluded.

The study was funded by the Park Nicollet Foundation and the HealthPartners Institute. Zylla had received research funding from Amgen (inst), AstraZeneca (inst), Celegene (inst), Exact Sciences (inst), Innate (inst), Novartis (inst), and Roche (inst). Several coauthors have also disclosed relationships with industry. Bowles has disclosed relationships with Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Supportive Care in Oncology Symposium (SCOS) 2019: Abstract 109, presented October 25, 2019.

Unfortunately, my cancer is back. I have to wait for additional biopsy results for specifics. I need clarification from my oncology team but this is probably stage IV based on the location of the lesion. I haven’t been told there’s nothing that can be done just yet because traditional treatment is available. Everything is happening so quickly. I put off getting a card for certain reasons that I don’t want to get into but I just need to get my info into the system as I’m now no longer waiting. I still have lots of MCT tincture and a few bottles of alcohol tincture. So, I can use that if my onc approves. I’m not sure I believe RSO cures cancer but I know other people use it for side effects as it’s powerful stuff. There’s a possibility the surgery was enough and that’s the news I want to hear.

Well shit @deep_meditation I am so sorry to hear this.... fucking cancer....
Remind me.. did the tincture you made work for you? Or was it not strong enough? I seem to remember you not being satisfied with it.
I'm not sure that RSO cures cancer (at least not all forms) but... it's certainly can't hurt. And might make you more comfortable overall. I'd want to try it.

Unfortunately, my cancer is back. I have to wait for additional biopsy results for specifics. I need clarification from my oncology team but this is probably stage IV based on the location of the lesion. I haven’t been told there’s nothing that can be done just yet because traditional treatment is available. Everything is happening so quickly. I put off getting a card for certain reasons that I don’t want to get into but I just need to get my info into the system as I’m now no longer waiting. I still have lots of MCT tincture and a few bottles of alcohol tincture. So, I can use that if my onc approves. I’m not sure I believe RSO cures cancer but I know other people use it for side effects as it’s powerful stuff. There’s a possibility the surgery was enough and that’s the news I want to hear.
I don't know that I believe feco cures cancer
There is some proof it helps shrink some tumours

Definitely know people say it helps side affects and pain etc.

Some cases of people saying it healed them and they are in remission

I do know my friend has had breast cancer for years now

She told her doctors at the cancer clinic in hospital that she gets oil from "somewhere" (me) sometimes, and they told her that that's okay and to take it under the tongue
They also told her when she has the oil to take it and stop taking the doctor meds (not stop chemo) and then when runs out of oil continue to take their medicine

So who knows
I know it is a lot that is needed to supposedly shrink tumours though

At least one ml a day and if the patient can handle it preferably 2 ml a day
That is a big dose though for many ppl

I'm sorry to hear of your current situation and hope you have better news in the future
Sending you healing thoughts

It’s a tough time in my life. I’d made some big changes and things were looking good. I’m still moving ahead. I’m not putting my life on hold because of this (at least not yet).

I’ll have a clearer picture of what’s going on when the molecular testing results are complete.

The tincture is pretty good but I’d read a post on another forum and it made me question the potency. The forum user made two batches of oil; one from standard/regular refined coconut and the other from MCT. He said he had to use 2x more MCT than regular refined coconut oil to get the same effect. Looking back, I think he might be right. I hope they’re equal but we’ll see. With regulsr coconut oil I could have filled capsules or made edibles. I’ll try exactly 1/4 teaspoon of my oil and see how I feel.

RSO is available at the dispensary here. Once my card comes in I’ll go in and ask them about it.

It’s a tough time in my life. I’d made some big changes and things were looking good. I’m still moving ahead. I’m not putting my life on hold because of this (at least not yet).
That's what I love to hear... great attitude! There's no reason you shouldn't continue to enjoy the positives in your life.

And my hopes are that the tests come back with good (better?) news.

I also sincerely hope that the RSO gives you some relief; if nothing else. Remember... follow the protocol (start low and slow) and build up your tolerance to it.

That's what I love to hear... great attitude! There's no reason you shouldn't continue to enjoy the positives in your life.

And my hopes are that the tests come back with good (better?) news.

I also sincerely hope that the RSO gives you some relief; if nothing else. Remember... follow the protocol (start low and slow) and build up your tolerance to it.

Thank You! I’m going to start on the online form tonight. I need to scan my license and upload it along with my photo and I should be good to go. I wish they would accelerate the process but it seems they only do that for hospice patients and that’s understandable.

Nothing definitive yet but it appears that I might be in the clear with just surgery. Thank goodness for that. The last month+ has just been tough.

Thanks for listening/reading.
@deep_meditation, I'm wishing the best for you. What you are going through sounds scary and awful, and you certainally deserve all of the support you can get. If there is anything I can do beyond positive thoughts, let me know, but you do have those coming your way.

@deep_meditation, I'm wishing the best for you. What you are going through sounds scary and awful, and you certainally deserve all of the support you can get. If there is anything I can do beyond positive thoughts, let me know, but you do have those coming your way.

Thank you for the kind comments and positive thoughts! Hearing them definitely helps a lot.

Flavonoid Found in Rare Jamaican Weed Strain Could Treat Pancreatic Cancer

The FDA has granted Orphan Drug status to a synthetic cannabis flavonoid, derived from a rare strain of Jamaican ganja, that can help treat pancreatic cancer.

The federal government has granted approval to a new series of clinical trials that will evaluate whether a cannabis flavonoid derived from a rare Jamaican strain of weed can help fight pancreatic cancer.
Most research into the medical properties of cannabis have focused on individual, well-known cannabinoids like THC and CBD. But last summer, a study published in the Frontiers in Oncology journal reported that cannflavin B — a flavonoid, not a cannabinoid — can help kill pancreatic cancer cells. This is an especially exciting development, since pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest forms of this disease, with a bleak 8 percent survival rate.
In this study, researchers found that cannflavin B can cause cancer cells to essentially commit suicide, while also enhancing the effectiveness of standard chemotherapy and radiation therapies. Flavocure Biotech Inc, the company that funded this research, is not interested in using natural cannabis to fight cancer, however. Instead, they have used cannflavin B to help develop an anti-cancer drug known as Caflanone, or FBL-03G.
This fall, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Caflanone Orphan Drug status, allowing Flavocure to launch their next phase of trials to investigate the efficacy of this new drug. Orphan Drug status is reserved for new drugs that can treat illnesses affecting fewer than 200,000 US patients annually.

“Research continues at Harvard Medical School, an institution credited with development and collaboration of some of the world’s most successful drugs,” said Flavocure Co-Founder & Executive Vice Chairman Clark Swanson to the Medical Cannabis Network. “Investigational New Drug (IND) enabling studies are essentially complete now, and we are confident in the results and the much-anticipated clinical stage of our company’s drug development.”

Although the company is working to create a synthetic cannabis-derivative, the initial discovery of this cancer-fighting flavonoid came from a unique strain of Jamaican ganja. Swanson explained that Flavocure chairman Dr. Henry Lowe PhD “discovered a rare strain of cannabis endemic to Jamaica. The strain has been labeled as 'Black Swan' due to its high flavonoid-rich spectrum.” Naturally-grown Black Swan plants only have an average of 0.14 percent flavonoid content, however, so the company chose to recreate a synthetic version of the natural compound.

Swanson told Medical Cannabis Network that his company is now focusing on the new pancreatic cancer trials, which are set to begin later this spring. “Recruitment will begin the first quarter of 2020,” Swanson explained. “At this time, we plan to carry out a multisite study. We anticipate East and West Coast, USA. No further details are available at this time.”

CBG and CBC Kill Gastrointestinal Cancer Cells in Preliminary Study
Funded by U.S. company Cannabics Pharmaceuticals, a firm focused on the development of cannabinoid therapies for cancer treatment, Israeli researchers have demonstrated the anti-tumor efficacy of CBG and CBC against human gastrointestinal cancer cell lines.

TEL AVIV, Israel and BETHESDA, Maryland, Jan. 27, 2020 /PRNewswire/PRESS RELEASE -- Cannabics Pharmaceuticals Inc. (OTCQB: CNBX), a leader in personalized cannabinoid medicine focused on cancer and its side effects, announced today that in a series of tests conducted at the company's High Through-put Screening (HTS) facility in Israel, it has been shown that the cannabinoids CBC (cannabichromene) and CBG (cannabigerol) both exhibit anti-tumor properties, tested on human gastrointestinal cancer cells.

CBC is an additional non-intoxicating cannabinoid and is one of the naturally occurring phytocannabinoids. It bears a host of potential positive therapeutic qualities and may promote antimicrobial, anti‐inflammatory, analgesic, and neurogenesis activity. It is particularly found in younger cannabis plants, albeit in small quantities.

In these tests, the HTS platform was utilized to screen the necrotic effects of a variety of cannabinoids on human gastrointestinal cancer cells, in addition to other cancer types previously tested. CBC and CBG were both shown to induce significantly higher rates of necrosis in these cancer cells compared to other cannabinoids, thus strengthening previously obtained results.

gi cancer apoptosis.jpg

© credit | Cannabics Pharmaceuticals
Cannabinoid extract causing necrosis in gastrointestinal cancer cell line. The Yellow color is a marker for necrosis. On the right - control, on the left – after treatment with cannabinoids

Dr. Yaakov Waksman, the company's head of cannabinoid research, said, "My working assumption is that these results show that a correlation may exist between a cannabinoid's Topological Polar Surface Area (TPSA) value and its ability to induce anti-tumor activity, diminishing cancer cell's viability rates. CBC and CBG, as neutral cannabinoids, were both found to have a TPSA value which allows the cannabinoid molecule to penetrate a cancer cell's membrane, whereas their acidic form (CBCA and CBGA) - do not. This could explain the difference in anti-tumor activity rates demonstrated".

Dr. Eyal Ballan, CTO and Co-Founder, commented, "Gastrointestinal cancers are amongst the leading and most wide-spread causes of cancer-related deaths worldwide. We are intrigued by the results we have obtained in the lab, and our aim is to consider placing an emphasis on this organ system, and to further explore the differential anti-tumor properties of cannabinoids. We believe that these preliminary results vindicate our vision; which is to bring personalization into cannabinoid-based cancer treatments."

HPV STUDY SAYS ANTI-TUMORAL PROPERTIES OF THC MAY BE DOSE DEPENDENT

New study calls to question anti-tumoral properties of THC.
As more and more cannabis research emerges, some studies have begun presenting conflicting information. So, what happens when scientific research generates conflicting evidence? A case in point is a recent study performed by researchers at the University of California San Diego School of Medicine. In this study, published in the American Association for Cancer Research (2020), scientists linked THC with the progression of HPV-positive head and neck cancer. Given the body of study demonstrating the probable anti-tumoral properties benefits of THC, this finding may come as a surprise. Interestingly, THC exhibited anti-cancer ability at high doses but not at the standard consumption level of the average consumer.

After all, numerous studies have stated that THC helps hinder cancer growth by stimulating cancer-cell death. So, what does this new study mean, and how does it fit in with existing research about head and neck cancer?

What We Know About THC and Head & Neck Cancer
In the 2020 California study described above, researchers discovered that THC activates a molecular mechanism called p38 mitogen‐activated protein kinases (MAPK). This pathway controls the process of apoptosis, or cell death. Researchers found that activation of p38 MAPK inhibits cell death.

They also discovered that by turning off this pathway, they were able to stop the growth of HPV-related head and neck cancer. And this led the authors to conclude that exposure to THC may aid in the development of this specific type of cancer.

Their research included in-vitro and animal studies. It also included blood samples from five patients with HPV-related throat cancer — whose plasma showed evidence of cannabinoids in their system. However, we don’t know how those five patients consumed those cannabinoids. Were they smoked? Ingested? And for what length of time had they been consuming cannabis? When was the last dose prior to screening? These questions remained unanswered in the study.

Research on Cannabis’ Anti-Tumoral Properties
The authors also cited previous research in support of their findings. They included this 2018 study that found an increase of oropharyngeal cancers among cannabis consumers. They also cited this study, published in Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention (1999), stating that cannabis consumption could increase the risk for head and neck cancer.

But that’s not the whole story when it comes to HPV-related cancer. Another study published in the American Association for Cancer Research (2009) researched over 400 human cases of head and neck cancer. Among these subjects, scientists found a reduced risk for cannabis consumers. In addition, they found no difference in the reduced risk across tumor sites, or in the presence of HPV antibodies.

That same year, scientist Stephen Schwartz, an epidemiologist at the University of Washington, studying HPV-related cancers entered the debate. He told Science Magazine that he was skeptical of the proposed connection between HPV-related oral cancer and cannabis. His reason for this view was a lack of existing causation research at the time.

What Can We Conclude About THC and HPV-Cancer?
Additional studies have pointed to the relationship between THC and p38 MAPK, including research published in FEBS Letters in 2005. In this study, the authors showed that activation of p38 MAPK actually participated in cannabinoid receptor-induced apoptosis in leukemia cells; not the other way around.

The findings in FEBS Letters fits in with all of the other studies about THC’s anti-tumor properties when it comes to treating glioma, melanoma and pancreatic cancers, as well as HER2 positive breast cancer. So, what are we to think about the emerging research that says THC causes a progression in HPV-related head and neck cancers?

Perhaps the answer is within minor compounds found in the cannabis plant. THC isn’t the only substance that contributes to shrinking tumors. Other compounds found in cannabis also play a role. Terpenes and flavonoidsalso contribute to cell death. Notably, these compounds weren’t part of the recent study regarding THC and p38 MAPK.

Myrcene and linalool are two common cannabis terpenes that have anti-tumoral properties. Not only that, but a 2012 review, published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, found that flavonoids may reduce incidence of certain types of cancer. Interestingly, could it be that scientists missed important factors by omitting terpenes and flavonoids from their HPV-cancer study?

Not all Cancer Responds the Same way to THC
Another factor to consider is evidence that different cancers respond in different ways to THC. In fact, some studies have shown that THC has no effect on some types of cancer cells. And along with this information, we must also consider dosage.

The authors of study linking THC to HPV-related head and neck cancers observed that THC does have anti-tumor properties. However, they found that these properties only took effect when administered at a very high dose. Also, they reported that the dosage needed for THC to induce cancer cell death was much higher than what the average cannabis flower contains.

In fact, when they tested cannabinoids at the same level as recreational cannabis (1 µM), HPV-related cancer cells proliferated. However, when they increased the dosage to 10 µM, growth was inhibited. This is a crucial point to consider.

What we can conclude is, like most cannabis research we’ve seen to-date, more studies are needed. And more importantly, more human clinical trials.

References
Liu, Chao, et al. “Cannabinoids Promote Progression of HPV Positive Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma via p38 MAPK Activation.” Clinical Cancer Research, American Association for Cancer Research, 1 Jan. 2020, clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2020/01/11/1078-0432.CCR-18-3301.
Rotermann, M., et al. “Marijuana and Head and Neck Cancer: an Epidemiological Review.” Journal of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, BioMed Central, 1 Jan. 1970, journalotohns.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40463-018-0319-2.
Zhang, Z F, et al. “Marijuana Use and Increased Risk of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck.” Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention: a Publication of the American Association for Cancer Research. Cosponsored by the American Society of Preventive Oncology, U.S. National Library of Medicine, Dec. 1999, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10613339.
Liang, Caihua, et al. “A Population-Based Case-Control Study of Marijuana Use and Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.” Cancer Prevention Research, American Association for Cancer Research, 1 Aug. 2009, cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org/content/2/8/759.short.
Derkinderen, Pascal, et al. “Cannabinoids Activate p38 Mitogen‐Activated Protein Kinases through CB1 Receptors in Hippocampus.” Wiley Online Library, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, 20 Dec. 2001, onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1471-4159.2001.00333.x.
Herrera, Blanca, et al. “p38 MAPK Is Involved in CB2 Receptor-Induced Apoptosis of Human Leukaemia Cells.” FEBS Letters, No Longer Published by Elsevier, 25 Aug. 2005, www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0014579305010057.

Researchers Find That CBG and CGC Can Kill Gastrointestinal Cancer Cells

Preliminary studies have found that two non-psychoactive cannabinoids can induce necrosis in human gastrointestinal cancer cells.

Two relatively unexplored cannabis compounds could help kill gastrointestinal cancer cells in humans, according to a new research study.

Cannabics Pharmaceuticals, an American medical cannabis firm with an Israeli R&D department, recently released the results of a pre-clinical trial suggesting that the cannabinoids CBC (cannabichromene) and CBG (cannabigerol) can help destroy tumors. The tests, which were conducted at the company's High Throughput Screening (HTS) lab facilities in Israel, found that CBC and CBG can induce significantly higher rates of necrosis in human gastrointestinal cancer cells compared to other cannabinoids.

"Gastrointestinal cancers are amongst the leading and most wide-spread causes of cancer-related deaths worldwide,” said Dr. Eyal Ballan, CTO and co-founder of Cannabics, in a statement. “We are intrigued by the results we have obtained in the lab, and our aim is to consider placing an emphasis on this organ system, and to further explore the differential anti-tumor properties of cannabinoids."

The study also found that CBG had a stronger anti-tumor effect on human stomach and bone cancer cells than CBGA, the acidic form of CBG. Dr. Yaakov Waksman, head of cannabidiol research at Cannabics, believes that “CBC and CBG, as neutral cannabinoids,” have an attribute “which allows the cannabinoid molecule to penetrate a cancer cell's membrane, whereas their acidic form (CBCA and CBGA) do not. This could explain the difference in anti-tumor activity rates demonstrated.”

Most people are aware of THC and CBD, the most widely-researched cannabinoids, but there are a host of other natural compounds within the cannabis plant — many of which exhibit unique health benefits. CBC, a non-psychoactive compound, occurs mostly in younger cannabis plants, but often in small quantities. Preliminary studies have found that CBC can have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties.

CBG, another non-psychoactive cannabinoid, is also found in minute quantities in the cannabis plant. This compound has also been found to have anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and tumor-killing properties. A recent study even found that CBG could help kill antibiotic-resistant “superbugs” that have infected a growing number of patients at hospitals around the world.

“CBG is gaining a lot of interest as of late by the scientific community due to its potential therapeutic properties,” said Dr. Waksman, according to Oracle Dispatch.

“The recent preliminary findings from our research team illustrate how purified cannabinoids can potentially yield anti-tumor activity and enable us to examine the entourage effect of botanical extracts versus the purified compounds,” Waksman concluded. Cannabics is planning to conduct additional clinical trials that will further investigate whether these natural cannabis compounds could effectively help treat patients suffering from gastrointestinal cancer.

Cannabinoid compounds may inhibit growth of colon cancer cells
cannabinoid iStock Sinhyu.jpg

While the compounds most commonly associated with cannabis -- THC and CBD -- showed little to no effect, 10 other compounds were effective at inhibiting cancer cell growth. IMAGE: © ISTOCK PHOTO / SHINHYU

HERSHEY, Pa. — Medical marijuana has gained attention in recent years for its potential to relieve pain and short-term anxiety and depression. Now, Penn State College of Medicine researchers say some cannabinoid compounds may actually inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells in the lab.

The researchers tested the effects of synthetic cannabinoid compounds on colon cancer cells in an experiment in test tubes. While the compounds most commonly associated with cannabis — THC and CBD — showed little to no effect, 10 other compounds were effective at inhibiting cancer cell growth.

Kent Vrana, chair of the Department of Pharmacology at Penn State College of Medicine, said the study — recently published in Cannabis and Cannabinoid Research — helped identify compounds that could be tested further to understand their anti-cancer properties.

“Now that we’ve identified the compounds that we think have this activity, we can take these compounds and start trying to alter them to make them more potent against cancer cells,” Vrana said. “And then eventually, we can explore the potential for using these compounds to develop drugs for treating cancer.”

Colorectal cancer is one of the most common cancers diagnosed in the United States, according to the National Cancer Institute, with an estimated 140,250 newly diagnosed cases and 50,630 deaths in 2018. While medical cannabis has largely been used in recent years for palliative care, the researchers said some previous studies suggested that certain cannabinoid compounds may have the potential to inhibit or prevent the growth of tumors.

To explore how effective cannabinoids were at reducing the viability of colon cancer cells specifically, the researchers tested how 370 different synthetic cannabinoid compounds affected seven types of human colon cancer cells.

“There are many different ways cells can become cancerous,” Vrana said. “Each of the seven cells we tested had a different cause or mutation that led to the cancer, even though they were all colon cells. We didn’t want to test these compounds on just one mutation or pathway to cancer.”

The researchers incubated the cancer cells in a lab for eight hours before treating them with the cannabinoid compounds for 48 hours. Any compounds that showed signs of reducing the viability of one kind of cancer cell was then used to treat all seven kinds of cells.

After further screening and analysis, the researchers identified 10 compounds that inhibited the growth of almost all seven types of colon cancer types tested. But while the researchers were able to identify these compounds, Vrana said they are still unsure about how exactly the compounds worked to reduce the viability of the cancer cells.

“The 10 compounds we found to be effective fall into three classes, so they’re similar to each other but with small changes,” Vrana said. “We know how one of them works, which is by inhibiting the division of cells in general. We also found that the most potent and effective compounds don’t seem to work through traditional marijuana receptors, although we’re not sure of the exact mechanism yet.”

Vrana said certain types of cells, like skin and colon cells, are more susceptible to cancers because they divide frequently.

“Every time a cell divides, there’s the chance that it will mutate and keep dividing when it shouldn’t, which is how cancers can start. So if we block that signal that’s telling cancer cells to continue to divide, that could be a way to stop that cancer.”

Vrana said that because the other compounds did not seem to be working through traditional cannabinoid signaling pathways, future research will focus on better understanding how the compounds interact with cancer cells and whether researchers can make the compounds more potent and effective.

Wesley M. Raup-Konsavage, research project manager; Megan Johnson, medical student at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine; Christopher A. Legare, medical student at Penn State College of Medicine; Gregory S. Yochum, associate professor of biochemistry molecular biology; and Daniel J. Morgan, assistant professor of anesthesiology and perioperative medicine, also participated in this work.

The National Institutes of Health and the Elliot S. Vesell Endowment helped support this research.

About this research

The Penn State College of Medicine has an opportunity to play an integral role in advancing society’s understanding of the medical potential of marijuana and assisting in the development of safe and effective therapeutics. Partnering with licensed private entities and collaborating with peer universities to tackle this priority of the Commonwealth supports the college's land-grant mission of research, teaching and service.

The College of Medicine often investigates emerging therapies to advance the understanding of medical conditions, to formulate beneficial treatments, and to address unmet societal health needs. The college's research programs, including human clinical trials, are guided by ethical principles; conducted with honesty, integrity and accountability; and are in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.

Kind of cancer related. Mostly just thinking out loud with question or two.

I'm not vaping due to the Covid. I still have quite a bit of MCT oil on hand and I'm using it along with oxycodone. I have an oz of 16 different strains and an oz of CBD flower. I want to turn most of it into regular coconut oil that I could use to put on food or to cook with. Odor is still a concern for me even though I have an ardent and a MBM2. Another alternative is to just decarb and soak for an alcohol tincture.

How quickly should I feel the effects of the oil? Right now I feel as though it's only taking a few minutes to feel a bit of headiness and warmth. Usually it takes longer. Is it possible that the tincture has strengthened over the months? I think I bottled it in late July of last year. It doesn't taste rancid at all - just weedy. I keep it in dark bottles in a canvas bag that I store in a drawer. The temperature is a constant room temperature... not too hot at all.

How quickly should I feel the effects of the oil? Right now I feel as though it's only taking a few minutes to feel a bit of headiness and warmth. Usually it takes longer. Is it possible that the tincture has strengthened over the months? I think I bottled it in late July of last year. It doesn't taste rancid at all - just weedy. I keep it in dark bottles in a canvas bag that I store in a drawer. The temperature is a constant room temperature... not too hot at all.
If there's any plant matter in there at all I think it could be possible that it might strengthen. It also may have evaporated a bit. Or... your tolerance is different. And if you are combining with the oxy that may be a factor as well.

But hey... if it's working for you... fabulous! :biggrin:

Odor is still a concern for me even though I have an ardent and a MBM2.
If odor is still a big concern, you could maybe try the mason jar method... it's shown at the beginning of the video in this post. Maybe start with a small batch to see how you like the method (and if it actually smells less like they say). And if you do like it you can always do it with a larger mason jar and more herb.

Also.. did you get the decarb box with your MBM2? That seems to keep the smell down a bit as well (as opposed to the tin foil method).

I'm having another cancer related surgery soon. Interestingly enough, I spoke with the pre-op nurse and she said "There's a note in your record that states marijuana use - do you have a card?" I said yes and she said "I need to move that to your medication list rather than the list of recreational drugs. Because you have a card it's considered medicine. Without the card it stays on the list of recreational drug even though you might be using it as medicine."

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back