Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Killing the virus" is indeed a misnomer as they aren't really alive. Just some RNA in a protein and lip shell. Little bastards! haha

Studied viral gene regulation in the 1980s (i.e. the stone age). They might not be "alive," but they've evolved inspiring complexity. For example, many employ a temporal switch. A successful virus needs to have its host replicate its genome exponentially - before capsule proteins are produced. Otherwise, relatively few strands of genetic material will be quickly packaged before they can serve as templates for new strands, and the infection will fail. Among the "early" proteins is an activator required for expression of "late" proteins, which include those comprising the capsule. The extra step delays their expression just long enough to ensure there's plenty of DNA or RNA ready to be packaged. Didn't study coronovirus, but they sound very complex indeed. All sorts of bells and whistles.

Don't get the TP thing. Six rolls left. Should last long past a vaccine becoming available in a year or two. (Although seashells are intriguing.:idea:)

Stop Using Toilet Paper
Why are we hoarding it when experts agree that rinsing with water is more sanitary and environmentally sound?

By Kate Murphy
Ms. Murphy is the author of “You’re Not Listening: What You’re Missing and Why It Matters.”
April 3, 2020

Before paper was invented, or readily available, people used leaves, seashells, fur pelts and corn cobs. The ancient Greeks and Romans used small ceramic disks and also sponges on the ends of sticks, which were then plunged into a bucket of vinegar or salt water for the next person to use. We know this thanks to Philippe Charlier, a forensic anthropologist and archaeologist at the Musée du Quai Branly in Paris. His 2012 treatise, “Toilet Hygiene in the Classical Era,” published in the British Medical Journal, is perhaps the most widely cited text on the topic...

But while the majority of households in Japan have high-tech toilets capable of cleansing users with precisely directed temperature-controlled streams of water, the rest of the world has been slow to follow.

Blame prudishness and puritanism, at least in part: Bidets, once ubiquitous in France, became associated with hedonism and licentiousness. Marie Antoinette had a red-trimmed bidet in her prison cell while awaiting the guillotine. And during World War II, American soldiers first saw bidets in French brothels, which made them think they were naughty. An often-told joke was that a wealthy American tourist in Paris assumed the bidet in her hotel room was for washing babies in, until the maid told her, “No, madame, this is to wash the babies out...”

Which brings us back to the panic buying of toilet paper. Psychologists say it’s more than a little Freudian, what with the anal personality being tied to a need for order, hoarding and fear of contamination. “The characteristics align with obsessive compulsive tendencies, which get triggered when people feel threatened,” said Nick Haslam, a professor of psychology at the University of Melbourne in Australia and the author of “Psychology in the Bathroom...”

“There’s also some evidence that animals hoard nesting materials,” Dr. Haslam said. “So maybe toilet paper has some sort of nesting component as we’re forced into our homes.”

Last edited:

Lol @LesPlenty, lol been singing this for months to my lady jokingly B4 seeing this, shit I should make a fargin YT vid now that everyone seems to b in on it.

@Disrupt, good article, thing I noticed in our local market while TP, ISO all gone along with most meat and frozen foods wiped out, all the soap was still on shelves and the vegan food isle was left untouched:thinker:

Last edited:
Lol @LesPlenty, lol been singing this for months to my lady jokingly B4 seeing this, shit I should make a fargin YT vid now that everyone seems to b in on it.

@Disrupt, good article, thing I noticed in our local market while TP, ISO all gone along with most meat and frozen foods wiped out, all the soap was still on shelves and the vegan food isle was left untouched:thinker:
Oh! @Helios, I would love to see your fargin video! Signing to your lady seems romantic -maybe another song so you get Romance Credit? After months of 'My Corona' you might need it. I know! Put her in the video! Maybe coming at you with a certain beer bottle? And maybe a lime? I know, I know, I'm not good at this, but if all of us at VA contribute ideas for your video, and with you singing, it will be gold. Like, let's put on a show! I can cough, for back ground effects. Someone else could wash their hands ( clearly I'm not good at that), and someone could dance around in a garbage bag wearing a bandana mask for our Pandemic Nurse...obviously, clips must be inserted because of Social Distancing, but we are all getting so good at that! So much practice! Sorry, rehearsal. Look, I just come up with ideas. Someone else needs to make them good.
Why yes, I am stoned. That's when I get my Best Ideas. Like putting jelly on my Reeses Peanut butter cup. Totally stoned.
Hey! Why don't we have a thread on crappy and brilliant food combinations eaten while stoned?! Munchie Madness! Too soon? I'd do it, but I'm pretty busy curating the Toast thread.

COVID 19: Life-Saving Practical Tips for Grocery Shopping
Important practical advice when you go shopping for food.

I do this to my groceries in the driveway before bringing them in....totally sterilized (and yes, I may have already before made this very weak attempt at humor...sorry haha)

1586102493606.png

Not good news.:frown:That means it it jump from our human reservoir to another. We don't want it passed back to us in another form. Here's another vid I just caught about the impact due to our abscense.
[

Last edited:
Whats the difference between Quarintine and House arrest (Bill of Rights) if one is not ill? Tyranny. Without downplaying this hybrid bug, how will this change our daily lives? We won't need heavy policing or even military on the ground unless the markets close becuz stock people become 'infected', snitch neighbors like old man peeepo, Nervous Nancy will rat you out to the cops dare u step outside (btw many cops are calling out of work from C19 along with firefighters) Laws will only become more stringent, most of u VA members who travel know what it was like at airports B4 TSA goons did pat downs and requested our shoes off. What's next? The new buzzword 'post COVID World' will b ringing everywhere. Many may develop ptsd for this shit. Something is Rotten in Denmark. POV

Whats the difference between Quarintine and House arrest (Bill of Rights) if one is not ill? Tyranny. Without downplaying this hybrid bug, how will this change our daily lives? We won't need heavy policing or even military on the ground unless the markets close becuz stock people become 'infected', snitch neighbors like old man peeepo, Nervous Nancy will rat you out to the cops dare u step outside (btw many cops are calling out of work from C19 along with firefighters) Laws will only become more stringent, most of u VA members who travel know what it was like at airports B4 TSA goons did pat downs and requested our shoes off. What's next? The new buzzword 'post COVID World' will b ringing everywhere. Many may develop ptsd for this shit. Something is Rotten in Denmark. POV
Well, one is not happening because accused and convicted of a crime. Quarantine is a measure taken to protect the greatest number of citizens, including the most vulnerable, from illness and death. [I wouldn't be so quick to disparage "Nervous Nancy" too much, as she is the neighbor who knows what is happening in the neighborhood. She calls the cops if it looks like there is trouble. This is often called "Neighbourhood Watch"]. Cops and firefighters, as well as doctor's and nurses and EMT's, are part if why we are sheltering. We want as few infected as possible, and containing the illness is the best way to do this.
If we don't want this to be a new norm when it's over, we do what people have done to fight tyranny throughout the ages, We fight it. We vote. We ask why did it come to a point where we had to shelter in place. Would other measures have worked better? Early testing and tracking perhaps? Would having a proper functioning healthcare system ( and by this I mean at least masks, gloves and other protective equipment for healthcare workers) have helped? Should we have, as a society, as individuals, been washing our hands more?
We are an independent people, and chafe at restriction, and we shouldn't accept tyranny and there is plenty of it to fight in the world, but we must be healty and alive to fight. We have to actually fight that, and not waste energy fighting a protective health measure designed to save the greatest number of lives.
Corona Virus is not usual in that people can be asymptomatic and spread it, all the way to lung collapse, organ failure and death. Just by looking, you can avoid a sick person ((unless it's your job), but you can't avoid those that don't appear sick. If everyone could get tested, if people could get retested, and only those with Corona virus stay home, we might not have to had shut down so much. That's not the circumstances we find ourselves in.
We have essentially been drafted. We're just fighting Covid-19. To fight this disease and save lives, we sacrifice in the short term to fight the illness. This isn't a circumstance to accept as a new reality when it's over. Of course not. I just suggest if we don't want this to be the new reality, we look at what Shelter In Place really is and isn't. We look at other tyrannies that are going on in the world, and fight the real battles, like those that would want this to be the new reality for their own ends and not the good of society.

Six rolls left. Should last long past a vaccine becoming available in a year or two. (Although seashells are intriguing.:idea:)
Here's your answer....not sea shells....hahaha:

15-Things-People-Use-to-Wipe-Before-Toilet-Paper-900x500.jpg

We are an independent people, and chafe at restriction, and we shouldn't accept tyranny and there is plenty of it to fight in the world, but we must be healty and alive to fight.
We have essentially been drafted. We're just fighting Covid-19. To fight this disease and save lives, we sacrifice in the short term to fight the illness.
Also we want the crisis to end sooner then later so that even less restrictions would be imposed to fight the pandemic. If we have less cases and less medical staff getting sick, then we have more people to shore up against it. The other battlefront is how soon we can get a vaccine. And then how soon we can roll back the restrictions without a second outbreak. :twocents:

I don't expect some certain types of people to comply with the suggestions that have been put forward already. :shakehead: And unfortunately that leads to more problems which incur even more restrictions to counter act the impact. Multiply that by the unknown factors of the virus that are revealing themselves over time.

Last edited:
I know you wouldn't want me walking around. When is it no longer contagious? I'm still coughing and having respiratory issues. But maybe I need toilet paper or ice cream, and besides, I'm getting a little stir crazy. So someone says "quarantine", and I can't go out. Am I on house arrest? I did nothing wrong, but my movement is restricted. Should it be? Sure it should! Other people could get sick, and people could die.
My son has to Shelter In Place. He's not sick, but he had contact with a person with Covid-19.
@Madri-Gal, interesting points u bring up. Hope u are feeling well, just got home from work exhausted.

@Helios, I'm just making conversation. Not a thing is meant by it.
I'm actually having a bad day. I've had to use my nebulizer and inhaler so many times, I have a migraine from the meds. and I can't stop coughing. The truth is, Corona is real personal with me. It's in me. It doesn't even mean sheltering in place, closed stores, long lines. It means coughing, and coughing, and coughing. It's bone tired exhaustion, and I can't leave my room. There was a few days where you could hear the wheezing and rattling in my lungs without a stethescope. I'd hear moaning, then figure out it was me. It was awful. Then, I had to take massive amounts of immunosuppressants to take down the inflamation in my lungs. I've had pneumonia, pleurisy and bronchitis. I have so many medicines and inhalers because of Covid-19, that I can't keep track. My digestion is still messed up, and some days I can't even eat. Food doesn't smell or taste right. It seems to be taking a long time to feel better. I don't know why I'm alive and others aren't, and yes, it's been bad. Not ICU bad, but bad enough there were times I didn't think I'd be able to get another breath.
Unfortunately, I get wordy when sick or upset. It's a symptom.
Everyone is going to go through this pandemic in a personal way, if they catch this or not. You will, and @LesPlenty and @ddave and @momofthegoons, and too many others to count. There baby will never know a world that wasn't changed by this. The world will be before and after.
I value you, @Helios, and other inmates at VA. I value the discussions, and ideas and the fun at VA. None of my silly, half-baked ideas and opinions matter to me more than the people on VA (In general, DM me for specific exceptions :rofl:).

And yes, FUCK Tyranny.

Last edited:
There is no shortage of memes to get us through April. :nut:

Last edited:
The articles mentions that it can remain on shoes and keyboards, trash containers, etc. And
Coronavirus can travel up to 13 feet, droplets can remain airborne for hours: Study

Very glad I found this article earlier. Which I also posted here in this thread earlier. It encouraged me to take a shower and change my clothes and clean my shoes after going to the grocery store. Quarantine my groceries, etc. Some store worker at one of the places I shopped got the virus and it was reported a week ago. So I was in the same building with it, when less people wore scarfs and face masks.
COVID 19: Life-Saving Practical Tips for Grocery Shopping

Originally watched this guy for his hiking and camping videos. He explains the aerosol we all emit normally and a few other things that helped me remain a little calmer.

I know you wouldn't want me walking around. When is it no longer contagious? I'm still coughing and having respiratory issues. But maybe I need toilet paper or ice cream, and besides, I'm getting a little stir crazy. So someone says "quarantine", and I can't go out. Am I on house arrest? I did nothing wrong, but my movement is restricted. Should it be? Sure it should! Other people could get sick, and people could die.
My son has to Shelter In Place. He's not sick, but he had contact with a person with Covid-19.

@Helios, I'm just making conversation. Not a thing is meant by it.
I'm actually having a bad day. I've had to use my nebulizer and inhaler so many times, I have a migraine from the meds. and I can't stop coughing. The truth is, Corona is real personal with me. It's in me. It doesn't even mean sheltering in place, closed stores, long lines. It means coughing, and coughing, and coughing. It's bone tired exhaustion, and I can't leave my room. There was a few days where you could hear the wheezing and rattling in my lungs without a stethescope. I'd hear moaning, then figure out it was me. It was awful. Then, I had to take massive amounts of immunosuppressants to take down the inflamation in my lungs. I've had pneumonia, pleurisy and bronchitis. I have so many medicines and inhalers because of Covid-19, that I can't keep track. My digestion is still messed up, and some days I can't even eat. Food doesn't smell or taste right. It seems to be taking a long time to feel better. I don't know why I'm alive and others aren't, and yes, it's been bad. Not ICU bad, but bad enough there were times I didn't think I'd be able to get another breath.
Unfortunately, I get wordy when sick or upset. It's a symptom.
Everyone is going to go through this pandemic in a personal way, if they catch this or not. You will, and @LesPlenty and @ddave and @momofthegoons, and too many others to count. There baby will never know a world that wasn't changed by this. The world will be before and after.
I value you, @Helios, and other inmates at VA. I value the discussions, and ideas and the fun at VA. None of my silly, half-baked ideas and opinions matter to me more than the people on VA (In general, DM me for specific exceptions :rofl:).

And yes, FUCK Tyranny.

I am sorry you have to deal with this. I don't know what else to say as I'm terrible with this type of stuff. Do you have someone to help with groceries/food? Personally, I'm terrified of all of this due to being in a high risk group (sorry, being selfish here). I am avoiding everything. I had to go in to a hospital facility for "get this done Monday" imaging and a guy "next" (ten feet away) coughed and I nearly panicked. I can't drive at this time so I'm ordering prepped meals and packaged food items (beans, veggies, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back