Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to make light of the virus... but god if you can't laugh you're going to cry... I'm on day 15 of my self imposed quarantine. And I'm about ready to kill my husband lol...

Makes me glad to be single....cause, I certainly don't want her to get the impression that I think she's "Matha Fucking Stewaaaad". Otherwise, I would be "dead to her"

hahaha....So, what do we think....from the accent....Queens, maybe? LOL

I MADE THE BIG SCORE TODAY!! :aaaaa: :dancing::headbang::smoke:

1585581070466.jpeg

HAHAHA....I haven't seen a home paper product in a month....check out gal at the grocer said "got to be here at 7 am"

Well, I missed by a bit and got there at 7:40 and scored the VERY LAST package of TP.

Whoot! Whoot! This felt more exciting than scoring an oz of pink Peruvian rock in 1982! hahaha

Now, I have posted some slightly humor...and some attempts at slight humor that probably were not (haha)....but I don't want anyone to think that I'm cavalier about the virus nor do I want to give the impression to others that its alright to be cavalier about this epidemic.

I am and have been complying with directions to stay the fuck inside. I have gloves and masks for when I go into the grocery (old painter's masks I had in the garage for 10 years....too funny, every time I breath with one on I fog my glasses!! hahaha).

I am 67, have had three MI's and have awful family cardiac genetics, and like many of us I'm def one of the people for whom this would be really bad.

But, if I do catch it and die from it in a month, I'll be fucked if I spend the last month of my life sitting in worry and anxiety and wringing my hands.

If we don't laugh, we'll cry and I prefer laughter, personally.

So,

1585582683597.jpeg

Aaaaaand, if you order NOW you will get absolutely free this bonus weak attempt at humor! :-)

1585582859831.jpeg

It might be airborne. That doesn't sound too great.
California shut down until May 1. Should be seeing this week if Shelter In Place has had a positive effect on numbers in the State.
It sounds awful, but gargling with salt water a few times a day can help kill off the virus if you have been exposed. Lessen it in the throat before it gets into the lungs. Stay hydrated. To fight off a virus you need plenty of water, especially if you develop a fever.

If it turns out you acquire immunity after Covid-19, I would be able to volunteer. That would be great. I'd like to help.

Another thing you can do is donate plasma. It's already being tried, don't know whether it's effective.

It sounds awful, but gargling with salt water a few times a day can help kill off the virus if you have been exposed.

Sounds like a good time to break out the neti pot. Flush those sinuses after potential exposure.

It sounds awful, but gargling with salt water a few times a day can help kill off the virus if you have been exposed. Lessen it in the throat before it gets into the lungs. Stay hydrated.
You might want to fact check that.

California has created a HealthCorp to help combat Covid-19. Retired doctors, nurses, EMT's, nursing students, and other qualified people, are asked to join. There are 12,000 Nursing Students that were going to graduate this semester that no longer have classes, clinical, etc. They banded together to be allowed to work in the crisis. There are significant challenges in training, as usually nurses in hospitals help train students, and nurses don't currently have the luxury of anything but direct patient care. Now these students can be quickly trained to work in healthcare during the pandemic. Good for these nursing students in fighting to get on the frontline to help.
We need an antibody testing system so we know who's had Coronavirus. We need to know if there is any immunity once you've had it. If I ever stop feeling like the dogs dinner, I will look into joining HealthCorp myself.

i have not really been able to keep up with this thread these past days.. but i thought id repost this, i find it very acute.
i am a subscriber to nick cave's excellent red hand files - an open question format, so this is where it is from:

ISSUE #90 / MARCH 2020
What are your plans for the corona pandemic? What do you intend to do to fill the time? A solo performance from home on the piano?
ALICE, OSLO, NORWAY

Have you and the band thought about live streaming a concert at some point? It could really help people feel connected during this time.
HENRY, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA

What does a person who isn’t particularly creative do in isolation? I haven’t got a clue.
SASKIA, LONDON, UK
Dear Alice, Henry and Saskia,
My response to a crisis has always been to create. This impulse has saved me many times — when things got bad I’d plan a tour, or write a book, or make a record — I’d hide myself in work, and try to stay one step ahead of whatever it was that was pursuing me. So, when it became clear that The Bad Seeds would have to postpone the European tour and that I would have, at the very least, three months of sudden spare time, my mind jumped into overdrive with ideas of how to fill that space. On a video call with my team we threw ideas around — stream a solo performance from my home, write an isolation album, write an online corona diary, write an apocalyptic film script, create a pandemicplaylist on Spotify, start an online reading club, answer RedHand Files questions live online, stream a songwriting tutorial, or a cooking programme, etc. — all with the aim to keep my creative momentum going, and to give my self-isolating fans something to do.
That night, as I contemplated these ideas, I began to think about what I had done in the last three months — working with Warren and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra, planning and mounting a massive and incredibly complex Nick Cave exhibition with the Royal Danish Library, putting together the Stranger Than Kindness book, working on an updated edition of my “Collected Lyrics”, developing the show for the Ghosteen world tour (which, by the way, will be fucking mind-blowing if we ever get to do it!), working on a second B Sides and Rarities record and, of course, reading and writing The Red Hand Files. As I sat there in bed and reflected, another thought presented itself, clear and wondrous and humane —
Why is this the time to get creative?
Together we have stepped into history and are now living inside an event unprecedented in our lifetime. Every day the news provides us with dizzying information that a few weeks before would have been unthinkable. What deranged and divided us a month ago seems, at best, an embarrassment from an idle and privileged time. We have become eyewitnesses to a catastrophe that we are seeing unfold from the inside out. We are forced to isolate — to be vigilant, to be quiet, to watch and contemplate the possible implosion of our civilisation in real time. When we eventually step clear of this moment we will have discovered things about our leaders, our societal systems, our friends, our enemies and most of all, ourselves. We will know something of our resilience, our capacity for forgiveness, and our mutual vulnerability. Perhaps, it is a time to pay attention, to be mindful, to be observant.
As an artist, it feels inapt to miss this extraordinary moment. Suddenly, the acts of writing a novel, or a screenplay or a series of songs seem like indulgences from a bygone era. For me, this is not a time to be buried in the business of creating. It is a time to take a backseat and use this opportunity to reflect on exactly what our function is — what we, as artists, are for.
Saskia, there are other forms of engagement, open to us all. An email to a distant friend, a phone call to a parent or sibling, a kind word to a neighbour, a prayer for those working on the front lines. These simple gestures can bind the world together — throwing threads of love here and there, ultimately connecting us all — so that when we do emerge from this moment we are unified by compassion, humility and a greater dignity. Perhaps, we will also see the world through different eyes, with an awakened reverence for the wondrous thing that it is. This could, indeed, be the truest creative work of all.
Love, Nick x

Computer Geeks and people with PCs that are experiencing idle time are contributing to running VM simulations of protein molecules with a piece of software called Folding Home
Here Linus from Tech Tips explaining how he took an unfinished PC project and dedicated it to Folding Home.

No doubt about it, we need to turn this (virus) bus around and (stay) to home.

hahaha.....but its from a vid game and its not real...but its WAY cool anyway.

LOL

A valuable perspective, IMO.

High-Dose Coronavirus Infections Should Worry Us More
As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts.

By Joshua D. Rabinowitz and Caroline R. Bartman
Dr. Rabinowitz is a professor of chemistry and genomics. Dr. Bartman is a genomic researcher.
April 1, 2020, 3:00 p.m. ET

Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal...

Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hour-long train commute...

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation...

During the 2003 SARS coronavirus outbreak in Hong Kong, for instance, one patient infected many others living in the same complex of apartment buildings, resulting in 19 dead. The spread of infection is thought to have been caused by airborne viral particles that were blown throughout the complex from the initial patient’s apartment unit. As a result of greater viral exposure, neighbors who lived in the same building were not only more frequently infected but also more likely to die. By contrast, more distant neighbors, even when infected, suffered less...

Before the invention of vaccines, doctors often intentionally infected healthy individuals with fluid from smallpox pustules. The resulting low-dose infections were unpleasant but generally survivable, and they prevented worse incidents of disease when those individuals were later exposed to smallpox in uncontrolled amounts...

In-person interactions are more dangerous in enclosed spaces and at short distances, with dose escalating with exposure time. For transient interactions that violate the rule of maintaining six feet between you and others, such as paying a cashier at the grocery store, keep them brief — aim for “within six feet, only six seconds...”

...we need to avoid a panicked overreaction to low-dose exposures. Clothing and food packaging that have been exposed to someone with the virus seem to present a low risk. Healthy people who are together in the grocery store or workplace experience a tolerable risk — so long as they take precautions like wearing surgical masks and spacing themselves out.

And some hopeful results.

Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study
A group of moderately ill people were given hydroxychloroquine, which appeared to ease their symptoms quickly, but more research is needed.

By Denise Grady
April 1, 2020Updated 1:20 p.m. ET

The study was small and limited to patients who were mildly or moderately ill, not severe cases. Like many reports about the coronavirus, it was posted at medRxiv, an online server for medical articles, before undergoing peer review by other researchers...

The new study, of 62 patients with an average age of about 45, did have a control group. It was conducted at the Renmin Hospital of Wuhan University, in Wuhan, China. The patients were carefully chosen to exclude people with medical problems that could be made worse by hydroxychloroquine, like abnormal heart rhythms, certain eye diseases, and liver or kidney problems.

Half the subjects — the controls — received just the usual care given to coronavirus patients, and half had usual care plus hydroxychloroquine. The usual care included oxygen, antiviral drugs, antibiotics and other treatments.

Their disease was considered mild, even though all had pneumonia that showed up on CT scans. After giving informed consent, they were assigned at random to either the hydroxychloroquine or the control group. They were treated for five days, and their fevers and coughing were monitored. They also had chest CT scans the day before the study treatment began, and the day after it ended.

Coughing and fever eased a day or so earlier in the patients who received hydroxychloroquine, and pneumonia improved in 25 of 31, as opposed to 17 of 31 in the controls.

The illness turned severe in four patients — all in the control group.

Two patients had minor side effects from hydroxychloroquine: One had a rash and another had a headache...

Last edited:
Cannabis Start-Up Develops COVID-19 Test That Can Detect Virus Within Minutes

One pot company is turning its roadside THC screening gear into machines that can test for COVID-19. "It's actually different from anything else on the market right now, in terms of how fast it is and how accurate it is," said the CEO.

In the continued fight against COVID-19, testing for the virus has become one of many pitfalls in the country’s delayed crisis response. Without enough test kits to check everyone who seeks one, and long wait times for results, asymptomatic carriers have been freely spreading the virus in their communities.

Now, in an effort to help solve the US COVID-19 testing crisis, one Idaho cannabis start-up is converting devices built for roadside THC tests into coronavirus screening tech that works in five minutes. By checking for viral proteins instead of antibodies, Facible CEO Steven Burden is confident that the cannabis tech company can use its machines to help with the public health crisis.

"It's not the traditional test which is what most — 90 percent of the market right now — [is using], and it's not a stereological test, meaning you don't need blood for it, so we're not testing for antibodies. We're actually testing for the presence of viral proteins, and it's actually different from anything else on the market right now, in terms of how fast it is and how accurate it is," Burden told news station KTVB.

The machines still need to pass clinical trials before they can be used to test the American public. But due to the dire crisis that COVID-19 presents, FDA approval timelines have been shortened for test kits, giving Facible a potential fast-track to production.

"We're launching with COVID-19 because the regulations have dropped; they don't have that year-long FDA approval process," Burden said.

Across America’s northern border in Canada, health officials have already reached out to cannabis testing labs to see if cannabinoid testing equipment can be used to run COVID-19 screenings. Meanwhile, cannabis businesses across the globe are donating personal protective equipment to healthcare workers in need, and are looking into whether THC or CBD’s anti inflammatory propertiescould help reduce COVID-19 symptoms in patients.

For Facible, the next step in turning their THC and CBD testing machines into COVID-19 screeners will be securing FDA approval and then funding to produce more of this potentially game-changing technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back