Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it any wonder we lead the nation in new corona virus cases. People are crazy here. Over 2500 alone yesterday were infected.
https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/new...-has-covid-19-mark-lamb-pinal-county-11476330
Arizona Sheriff Who Refused to Enforce Lockdown Restrictions Has COVID-19
RAY STERN | JUNE 17, 2020 | 5:00PM
AA
A Republican sheriff in Arizona who said he would not enforce the state's emergency coronavirus orders has come down with COVID-19.
Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb announced on Facebook on Wednesday that he had tested positive, likely from attending a campaign event on Saturday. He says he found out when he was called on Tuesday to meet with President Trump at the White House and was screened for the virus.
"Unfortunately, as a law enforcement official and elected leader, we do not have the luxury of staying home," Lamb wrote. "This line of work is inherently dangerous, and that is a risk we take when we sign up for the job. Today, that risk is the COVID-19 virus. On Saturday, I held a campaign event, where it is likely I came into contact with an infected individual."
RELATED STORIES

Trump, meanwhile, is planning to come to Arizona on June 23 for a campaign rally.
Lamb, who was elected in 2016, told Phoenix New Times in late April that he had to keep the Constitution in mind when considering emergency public-health orders.
"In tough times, tough decisions have to be made," he said. "I'm looking at two laws in each hand [and] going with the one that's 200 years old rather than two days old."

WE BELIEVE LOCAL JOURNALISM IS CRITICAL TO THE LIFE OF A CITY
Engaging with our readers is essential to Phoenix New Times's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Phoenix's stories with no paywalls.
SUPPORT OUR JOURNALISM

Lamb said on Wednesday that he'll be self-quarantining for at least the next 14 days and has alerted the Pinal County Public Health Department after testing positive, "and they are working to track all those I came in contact with following the Saturday event."
Lamb did not immediately return a message left with his office on Wednesday; this story will be updated if he calls back.

Lamb was not the only Republican sheriff who said he would not enforce Governor Doug Ducey's emergency orders in April. Mohave County Sheriff Douglas Schuster and Gila County Sheriff Adam Shepherd, like Lamb, said they would advise people of the recommendations, but would not arrest people or shut down a business for violations.
On Wednesday, citing the spike in COVID-19 cases in recent weeks, Governor Doug Ducey said he would allow local jurisdictions to make their own mandatory health rules.
Dead from corona 19 virus on a BLUE PALE DOT in the far corner of the universe.
ROSIN help’s to forget the mess we human’s create (self inflicted our predisposed destruction of our existence?)
All we need is CANNABIS/LOVE = ☮️✌‍♂️☯️☕

We can’t stay in lockdown forever. At some point businesses and other facilities have to open. Obviously with new safety protocol and what not....It’s really going to come down to the individual and what kind of risk that they want to take.
I for one am in no rush to be going to any big gatherings of any kind. But I am going to go to the beach this weekend with my daughter for Father’s Day. The spot we go to usually is not very populated.

We’ll see how that goes. Not sure if we can get in the water but I’ll take what I can get.

I live in California, and our prick of a governor just issued another mandatory mask order. I say he can go fuck himself! My mask is retired, and it ain't coming back. I wore mine everywhere I went for months, and enough is enough. Every time I talk to someone with a mask, I start to get sick to my stomach. I can't hear what you're saying, take that damn thing off your face when you speak to me! I guarantee our suicide rate is going to skyrocket due to all this shutdown shananigans.

I find it upsetting how people keep freaking about about the number of new cases per day, but they completely neglect the number of new tests being performed each day. Yes we're at 4,000 new cases per day, but the death toll has gone down significantly. Why is that? The number of new cases is directly related to the number of new tests being performed. Increase testing, and you have more coronavirus patients. But, the media, and assholes like Newsom, never want to compare these two statistics.

We can't stay inside and wear masks our whole lives, and stay away from our families. I'd rather be shot in the head, or let covid take me. If we really want to stop people from dying, we should stop driving motor vehicles. How about let's do that? Would spare a lot of pollution also and probably reduce cancer, no?

How come SARS v1 was never a big problem in the U.S? Lack of media attention and alterior motives?

Last edited:
Ready for the next pandemic? There's even a cannabis connection. (Looking at you, guano fans - grow poop free!)

Coronavirus testing indicates transmission risk increases along wildlife supply chains for human consumption in Viet Nam, 2013-2014

Outbreaks of emerging coronaviruses in the past two decades and the current pandemic of a novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that emerged in China highlight the importance of this viral family as a zoonotic public health threat. To gain a better understanding of coronavirus presence and diversity in wildlife at wildlife-human interfaces in three southern provinces in Viet Nam 2013-2014, we used consensus Polymerase Chain Reactions to detect coronavirus sequences. In comparison to previous studies, we observed high proportions of positive samples among field rats (34.0%, 239/702) destined for human consumption and insectivorous bats in guano farms (74.8%, 234/313) adjacent to human dwellings. Most notably among field rats, the odds of coronavirus RNA detection significantly increased along the supply chain from field rats sold by traders (reference group; 20.7% positivity, 39/188) by a factor of 2.2 for field rats sold in large markets (32.0%, 116/363) and 10.0 for field rats sold and served in restaurants (55.6%, 84/151). Coronaviruses were detected in the majority of wildlife farms (60.7%, 17/28) and in the Malayan porcupines (6.0%, 20/331) and bamboo rats (6.3%, 6/96) that are farmed. We identified six known coronaviruses in bats and rodents, clustered in three Coronaviridae genera, including the Alpha-, Beta-, and Gammacoronaviruses. Our analysis also suggested either mixing of animal excreta in the environment or interspecies transmission of coronaviruses, as both bat and avian coronaviruses were detected in rodent feces in the trade. The mixing of multiple coronaviruses, and their apparent amplification along the wildlife supply chain into restaurants, suggests maximal risk for end consumers and likely underpins the mechanisms of zoonotic spillover to people.

I live in California, and our prick of a governor just issued another mandatory mask order. I say he can go fuck himself! My mask is retired, and it ain't coming back. I wore mine everywhere I went for months, and enough is enough. Every time I talk to someone with a mask, I start to get sick to my stomach. I can't hear what you're saying, take that damn thing off your face when you speak to me! I guarantee our suicide rate is going to skyrocket due to all this shutdown shananigans.

I find it upsetting how people keep freaking about about the number of new cases per day, but they completely neglect the number of new tests being performed each day. Yes we're at 4,000 new cases per day, but the death toll has gone down significantly. Why is that? The number of new cases is directly related to the number of new tests being performed. Increase testing, and you have more coronavirus patients. But, the media, and assholes like Newsom, never want to compare these two statistics.

We can't stay inside and wear masks our whole lives, and stay away from our families. I'd rather be shot in the head, or let covid take me. If we really want to stop people from dying, we should stop driving motor vehicles. How about let's do that? Would spare a lot of pollution also and probably reduce cancer, no?

How come SARS v1 was never a big problem in the U.S? Lack of media attention and alterior motives?
You need to do your research. Many different resources including science.

If you downloaded the latest iOS update back in May, and any following updates, then congratulations...your COVID-19 infection status will likely soon be tracked by state health officials as part of each state's contact tracing efforts.

Many iPhone users across the US have over the past few days started to notice a new setting under the "privacy" subtab of the iPhone health app. It looks like this, and allows users to "toggle on" COVID-19 exposure logging.
It's all thanks to the latest update of Apple's iOS operating system for iPhone, iOS13.5.
nn.jpeg

As it turns out, the reality-based, science-friendly communities and information sources many of us depend on also largely failed. We had time to prepare for this pandemic at the state, local, and household level, even if the government was terribly lagging, but we squandered it because of widespread asystemic thinking: the inability to think about complex systems and their dynamics. We faltered because of our failure to consider risk in its full context, especially when dealing with coupled risk—when multiple things can go wrong together. We were hampered by our inability to think about second- and third-order effects and by our susceptibility to scientism—the false comfort of assuming that numbers and percentages give us a solid empirical basis. We failed to understand that complex systems defy simplistic reductionism.

MORE STORIES
A human who multiplies into many humans
How the Coronavirus Became an American Catastrophe

ALEXIS C. MADRIGAL ROBINSON MEYER

Red and Blue America Aren’t Experiencing the Same Pandemic

RONALD BROWNSTEIN
A hand holding an empty vial
The 4 Key Reasons the U.S. Is So Behind on Coronavirus Testing

OLGA KHAZAN

Widespread asystemic thinking may have cost America the entire month of February, and much of what we’d normally consider credible media were part of that failure.

On January 29, about a week after China’s government shifted from a deny-and-censor strategy to massive action and communication, Chinese scientists published a significant paper in The New England Journal of Medicine. The paper estimated the R0 (the basic reproduction number of an infectious disease) from the first known case of coronavirus in early December through January 4 to be little more than 2. That means that, left somewhat unchecked, each infected person infected two more people. Crucially, the paper pointed out evidence of mild and even asymptomatic cases, unlike SARS, which almost always came with a high fever. It also confirmed the reports that the disease was most dangerous for the elderly or people with underlying conditions. The paper came out just after China made the unprecedented move to shut down all of Wuhan, a metropolis of 10 million people, and also Hubei, a province of 50 million people.

Read: Why the coronavirus has been so successful

For people stuck in asystemic thinking, all this may well have seemed like a small, faraway threat. If one merely looked at the R0, the virus wasn’t outrageously contagious. The number was similar to seasonal flu, but nothing explosive like measles, which has an R0 of 12 to 18—one ill person can infect another 12 to 18 people. For an asystemic thinker, it probably didn’t look that deadly, either. The mortal threat was disproportionately to the elderly, who already succumb to colds and influenza at much higher rates than younger, healthier people. The case-fatality rate (CFR), or the percent of infected people who die, for younger people seemed fairly low, perhaps comparable to seasonal influenza, which kills about 0.1 percent of its victims, exacting a toll in the tens of thousands in the United States alone. On January 29, the known global death total for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, was still under 200, less than a weekend’s worth of traffic accidents in the United States, let alone the flu. And to an asystemic thinker, the threat seemed remote, unfolding as it was in Wuhan, a place that many people outside China may not have heard of.

Thus from the end of January through most of February, a soothing message got widespread traction, not just with Donald Trump and his audience, but among traditional media in the United States, which exhorted us to worry about the flu instead, and warned us against overreaction. It seemed sensible, grown-up, and responsible. “Get a Grippe, America,” read the headline of one piece that made fun of those worried about this pandemic with a play on grippe (French for “flu,” how clever.) The title said that the flu was a much bigger threat “for now.” There was a New York Times op-ed with a nice alliteration, telling us to “Beware of the Pandemic Panic,” again comparing the coronavirus to the flu, and warning us that overreaction would be worse than the pandemic. (The author wrote a follow-up admitting he was wrong.)

Meanwhile almost 120,000 Americans dead as of around today’s date June 20.

The study, conducted by a team of scientists in Hong Kong, found the rate of non-contact transmission through respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by as much as 75 percent when masks were used.

Last edited:
I find it upsetting how people keep freaking about about the number of new cases per day, but they completely neglect the number of new tests being performed each day.

In addition to the number of new cases per day (daily positive tests), we need to track the percent positive tests.

Found another handy tool - from Johns Hopkins.

Florida.png

Florida's reporting more daily positive tests. What's troubling is that the percentage positive tests has been increasing for several weeks and appears to be increasing at a faster rate.

NewYork.png

By contrast, New York suffered a major early outbreak, and its percentage positive tests is only about 1%.

If you downloaded the latest iOS update back in May, and any following updates, then congratulations...your COVID-19 infection status will likely soon be tracked by state health officials as part of each state's contact tracing efforts.

Many iPhone users across the US have over the past few days started to notice a new setting under the "privacy" subtab of the iPhone health app. It looks like this, and allows users to "toggle on" COVID-19 exposure logging.
It's all thanks to the latest update of Apple's iOS operating system for iPhone, iOS13.5.
View attachment 19195
i dont know what the status with tracing apps is in the us. in germany we just started using an app for contact tracing this week. but this ^ "covid-19 exposure logging" on ios (and android) devices is merely the framework that allows a tracking app to work when one becomes available and if you choose to install it.

Nothing like a close shave with Occam's razor to start your week.

How Humanity Unleashed a Flood of New Diseases
What do Covid-19, Ebola, Lyme and AIDS have in common? They jumped to humans from animals after we started destroying habitats and ruining ecosystems.

By Ferris Jabr
June 17, 2020

...Between 60 and 75 percent of emerging infectious diseases in humans come from other animals. Many zoonoses — rabies, Lyme, anthrax, mad cow disease, SARS, Ebola, West Nile, Zika — loom large in public consciousness; others are less familiar: Q fever, orf, Rift Valley fever, Kyasanur Forest disease. More than a few, including influenza, AIDS and the bubonic plague, have caused some of the deadliest outbreaks in recorded history. Although zoonoses are ancient, thought to be referenced in Mesopotamian tablets and the Bible, their numbers have increased in the last few decades, along with the frequency of outbreaks.

Zoonotic pathogens do not typically seek us out nor do they stumble onto us by pure coincidence. When diseases move from animals to humans, and vice versa, it is usually because we have reconfigured our shared ecosystems in ways that make the transition much more likely. Deforestation, mining, intensive agriculture and urban sprawl destroy natural habitats, forcing wild creatures to venture into human communities. Excessive hunting, trade and consumption of wildlife significantly increase the probability of cross-species infection. Modern transportation can disperse dangerous microbes across the world in a matter of hours...

Rabies, Ebola, Marburg, SARS, MERS, Hendra, Nipah: Bats are a definitive or probable source of many of the most lethal zoonotic viruses to enter human populations. Why? There are many reasons. Bats are an ancient and diverse lineage: Nearly one in four mammal species is a bat; as a group, they have been co-evolving with a vast array of viruses for around 50 million years. Many bat species are social: They roost in large numbers, huddle together for warmth, groom one another and suckle their young, providing numerous opportunities to circulate pathogens among themselves. Bats are highly mobile, sometimes traveling dozens of miles between roosting sites or migrating hundreds of miles seasonally, taking their viruses with them.

Bats also have a unique immune system, most likely as an adaptation to a talent no other mammal can claim. In order to fly, bats must significantly increase their metabolic rate, which creates dangerous molecular byproducts, such as reactive ions that damage cells and DNA. During flight, bits of fractured DNA escape the nuclei of bat cells and drift about, resembling the presence of viral invaders. In most animals, all that havoc and misplaced DNA would provoke a robust immune response and chronic inflammation, needlessly harming healthy tissue. As a result of these pressures, bats have evolved several countermeasures, including tempered inflammatory reactions. In turn, these adaptations have made them more resilient to actual viruses and less likely to initiate the kind of overzealous immune response that often kills other infected animals...

Ultimately, the prevention of zoonoses demands more than practical interventions; it requires a fundamental shift in perspective. Humans have a long history of treating the world as our stage and other creatures as our props. We pluck rare orchids from remote swamps and ship them halfway around the world, not because we need them but simply because we like the way they look on our windowsills. We kill wild tigers out of fear or for sport and simultaneously breed them in captivity so we can cart mewling cubs to petting zoos and mall photo shoots. Wherever we settle, we eradicate native species and replace them with organisms entirely unfamiliar to that ecosystem...

...As we restructure Earth’s biosphere to suit our whims, we open hidden conduits between other animals’ microbiomes and our own. Once those channels are in place, pathogens can no more stop themselves from spilling into us than water can prevent itself from running downhill. We cannot blame the bats, mosquitoes and viruses. We cannot expect them to go against their nature. The challenge before us is how best to govern ourselves and stymie the flood we unleashed.

A bazaar story, LOL. It would be nice if true, I question the accuracy as well.
Arizona is running out of hospital beds i(84% COVID beds) n the Pandemic.

PHOENIX, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- Dream City Church is the Phoenix church hosting a rally for Pres. Donald Trump Tuesday afternoon. But the church is facing some backlash over a video it recently posted to their social media pages.

The video claims church officials have found a way to pretty much wipe out most of COVID-19 with the help of an air purifying system. To be clear, this system has not been tested by the CDC.

The video has been making the rounds online. In the post, senior Pastor Luke Barnett and Brendon Zastro said, they have “installed these units and it kills 99.9% of COVID within 10 minutes." In the video, they go on to say, “When you come into our auditorium 99% of COVID is gone, killed, if it was even there in the first place.” The post has received hundreds of comments, questioning the scientific accuracy of their claims.

Last edited:
questioning the scientific accuracy of their claims.
Haha, their same scientists believe the world is flat and only 6000 years old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back