Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The CDC’s new guidance includes resources for elementary and secondary schools and decision-making tools for parents and caregivers. Many of the recommendations sound familiar, such as social distancing, cloth face coverings, proper cleaning and personal hygiene, and “cohorting,” in which a group of students sticks together throughout the day to minimize exposure. Schools are instructed to be prepared for COVID-19 cases and exposure, and have systems such as contact tracing in place for when that happens.
Though the guidance itself focuses on how to keep students and staff members safe and mitigate transmission risks, other language from the CDC and federal officials strongly encourages schools to reopen.
What Is This?

Deputy Education Secretary Mitchell Zais, a member of the coronavirus task force, called teachers essential workers and said schools will be “stronger and more student focused than ever before.” The Trump administration is working with Congress to make sure schools have what they need to safely open, he said Friday in a conference call with reporters.
“If schools still refuse to reopen, the president has said that parents should receive the money that would be used for their child’s education to find a school that is willing to educate their child full time whether that’s a public charter school, a private school or a faith-based school,” Zais said.

With statements like that and the latest CDC guidance stressing that extended school closure is “harmful to children” and can lead to severe learning loss, local districts such as CPS are caught in between federal pressure to reopen and teachers union calls to stay remote.

In recent days, CPS joined a federal lawsuit in which several cities and states are seeking to prevent private schools from getting a share of coronavirus relief bill funding they say would be harmful to public school districts. CPS estimates it would lose about $10 million of the $205 million it expects from the first federal pandemic relief package.
Though CPS did not directly address any concerns about parents withdrawing children, CEO Janice Jackson on Friday said the district is taking the new CDC guidance into consideration.

“The current plan that CPS has in place does follow the CDC guidelines and we are looking at the new guidelines and will update our plans accordingly,” Jackson said. “But I want parents and students to know that any plan that we put in place will be guided by the science and that we will not make a decision to have students return to school if we don’t believe it’s safe.”
American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten on Friday criticized the CDC statement and guidance, saying the agency could better help parents and educators by providing clear, easy-to-navigate protocols rather than “endless checklists that send people searching for answers.”
“The CDC may have changed its tone to accommodate President (Donald) Trump’s whims, but the details of its guidance remain the same: Schools cannot reopen safely and equitably until we have effectively contained the virus spread and have a robust testing system, a plan for a future surge, and appropriate safety protocols in place,” Weingarten said in a statement.
Chicago Teachers Union President Jesse Sharkey had similar words, pointing out that while district-run schools start in September, some Chicago charter operators are planning to reopen in a matter of weeks.

“Our Black and Latinx neighborhoods contain a disproportionate number of front-line workers at greater risk of COVID-19, from bus drivers and nursing assistants to grocery store clerks and janitors,” Sharkey said. “Insisting that these families send their students into classrooms that intensify the risk of virus transmission as the pandemic spikes is not just risky. It’s morally reprehensible.”

Sharkey assessed that the president had “successfully bullied the CDC to revise its ‘guidelines’ and risk the lives of students, their families and their educators by forcing in-person learning this fall.”

CDC guide lines were put out in May. Now it’s been revised and everything is a lot worse now. Something stinks! I work for the local school district in my area and we will be getting the info from the local health dept whether we should open. They are responsible for contact tracing when and if we come down with the virus.

I sat in on a Zoom school board meeting last night. They are leaning towards online come September. Our covid rates are going up. The district used the money they received last fall from the cares act to provide daycare for essential workers, cost was $100,000.00. Comcast offered a 9.99 price for online for low income families. School also helped pay for that. We are also continuing to feed children of low income families breakfast and lunch through the summer.

Last edited:
Black cherries excellent for treating gout @Disrupt once a day. This advice helped my uncle, but he still eats pork, stubborn mule.

Thanks - heard tart cherries are better, and cherries are in season at the moment. Sadly, tart cherry juice seemed to have no effect, but haven't had an attack in a couple of years. Strict diet plus a low dose of allopurinol have kept it at bay.

I can’t stand the governor of FL - just my opinion. He makes my head explode.
The visuals are pretty ridiculous,' says Hornblower Niagara Cruises vice-president

Dan Taekema · Thomson Reuters · Posted: Jul 22, 2020 1:37 PM ET | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
View attachment 19956

American tourist boat Maid Of The Mist, limited to 50 per cent occupancy under New York state's rules amid the COVID-19 pandemic, glides past a Canadian vessel limited under Ontario's rules to just six passengers, in Niagara Falls, Ont., on Tuesday. (Carlos Osorio/Reuters)
comments
The two boats tell very different stories.
Aboard Maid of the Mist VII, passengers in blue ponchos appear to fill the top deck and wrap around the lower level as it sails on the American side of Niagara Falls. The passing Canadian-run Hornblower is all but empty with just a handful of people wrapped in red, huddled in pairs near the railing.
Images of the boats cruising past each other below the iconic landmark have caused discussion to swell on social media, with many suggesting the stark contrast in passengers is symbolic of the difference in the Canadian and American approaches with Covid 19.

Prez was wondering what the 19 on covid -19 meant. What do you think the 19 is for? Not a bright guy.
19 is for year C-19 was identified in humans. 2019.

I sure hope this is all over in 2021, but I'm not so sure! I agree with your statement about not just brushing off evidence, but I will add that all evidence must be scrutinized. It seems like everyone has something to gain from this virus. They now have several "mask stores" open where you can purchase the design of your choice. One thing I do like about that is it adds an element of individuality - but still, people are making a killing off this. Remember when they said gas prices were supposed to drop to $1? Only went down to about 2.50 around these parts...
Well, sure people are selling masks. That doesn't mean they started a pandemic so they could sell masks. There is a new need for masks, and not everyone can see theirs own. I can sew, but can't find sewing supplies. I'm also seeing masks for a dollar each, so there are different price ranges.

1595872433907.png

This asylum is a safe place where people from around the world drop by.
As we are all facing this planetary issue we are attentive to what is happening in other countries. The following video was sent to me and I thought this would be a good place to share it, out of concern and deep sadness for what is lived by so many in the USA.

Well....let me put HOW she thinks this can be done. Direct from the article (and no, this will never be adopted no matter what party is in office).

1. Enact universal mask-wearing in every state.
  2. Keep hot spots, such as bars, restaurants, churches, and transit, closed. In order to do this, Slavitt said the government would have to extend employment insurance and understand the economy would take a several-week hit.
  3. Prohibit interstate travel.
  4. Prohibit travel into the U.S. This shouldn’t be difficult, Slavitt said, because “no one will let us into their country.”
  5. Set up hotels for people with symptoms to isolate from their families at no cost.
  6. Introduce a “90 per cent lockdown,” which would mean even those who were previously considered essential, such as truck drivers, those picking crops, or those working in healthcare, would stay home too. Slavitt said the lockdown in the U.S. in March and April was only 50 per cent.

I do notice that while she is fine with closing "hot spots" that she listed, she didn't include large, shoulder to shoulder, yelling and spewing, protests. Oh no....shut the churches but bless our little rioting radicals.

And, I would note, wrt to item 4, when the administration did this at the end of Jan, the cries of "racist" were immediately heard. No other country is this stupid.

On another note, I saw where a high profile person was roundly criticized (yeah, as a racist yet again...seems to be the universal response these days) for calling it the "China virus". But I didn't hear this kind of indignant outrage over MERS (yes, children...that stands for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) or SARS (and yes, kiddies, this stands for South Asia Respiratory Syndrome) all of which are entirely accurate.

Cheers

Well....let me put HOW she thinks this can be done. Direct from the article (and no, this will never be adopted no matter what party is in office).

2. Keep hot spots, such as bars, restaurants, churches, and transit, closed. In order to do this, Slavitt said the government would have to extend employment insurance and understand the economy would take a several-week hit.
  4. Prohibit travel into the U.S. This shouldn’t be difficult, Slavitt said, because “no one will let us into their country.”
  5. Set up hotels for people with symptoms to isolate from their families at no cost.
  6. Introduce a “90 per cent lockdown,” which would mean even those who were previously considered essential, such as truck drivers, those picking crops, or those working in healthcare, would stay home too. Slavitt said the lockdown in the U.S. in March and April was only 50 per cent.

I do notice that while she is fine with closing "hot spots" that she listed, she didn't include large, shoulder to shoulder, yelling and spewing, protests. Oh no....shut the churches but bless our little rioting radicals.

And, I would note, wrt to item 4, when the administration did this at the end of Jan, the cries of "racist" were immediately heard. No other country is this stupid.

On another note, I saw where a high profile person was roundly criticized (yeah, as a racist yet again...seems to be the universal response these days) for calling it the "China virus". But I didn't hear this kind of indignant outrage over MERS (yes, children...that stands for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) or SARS (and yes, kiddies, this stands for South Asia Respiratory Syndrome) all of which are entirely accurate.

Cheers

You are absolutely correct that this would never work in the US when people like Rep. Louie Gohmert thinks that he caught the virus because he was wearing a mask , even with very strong federal guidance a 90% lockdown would be impossible.

Bill Gates made a statement about how all the testing we are doing for COVID is pretty much useless, particularly the tests that take several days for results to arrive. This doesn't give people the info they need quickly enough, and most won't quarantine until they have a positive test.
I agree that all this testing is a waste of money, even with the ones with quick turnarounds. How much more at risk do you think we are when visiting a virus-infested clinic? I don't trust the nurses to sanitize properly each time, and they certainly don't do it while you're watching.
Some employers are even using the uncomfortable nose scraping procedure as a punishment for those who call in sick, just sickening.

I DO NOT trust Pfizer or any other big medicinal company to release a safe vaccine while at the same time rushing it along. They are known for hurting people, that's what they do. It's all about profit. We need scientists who genuinely care and are not financially incentivized! But, that's now how Capitalism works.

It seems that it's in the government's best interest to drag out this "pandemic" as long as possible. In a pandemic situation, apparently laws don't apply to them. To them I say: you cannot hide from the creator, and one day you will have to answer for your evil doings.

Masks? Good idea!
Forced masks? No!
Forced contact tracing embedded in your mobile devices? NO
Forced shutdown of all businesses, so that only government can profit, and everyone relies on them? NO!
These people do not deserve to wave the flag.
I trust in God, but he really scares me sometimes....

Bill Gates made a statement about how all the testing we are doing for COVID is pretty much useless, particularly the tests that take several days for results to arrive. This doesn't give people the info they need quickly enough, and most won't quarantine until they have a positive test.
I agree that all this testing is a waste of money, even with the ones with quick turnarounds. How much more at risk do you think we are when visiting a virus-infested clinic? I don't trust the nurses to sanitize properly each time, and they certainly don't do it while you're watching.
Some employers are even using the uncomfortable nose scraping procedure as a punishment for those who call in sick, just sickening.

I DO NOT trust Pfizer or any other big medicinal company to release a safe vaccine while at the same time rushing it along. They are known for hurting people, that's what they do. It's all about profit. We need scientists who genuinely care and are not financially incentivized! But, that's now how Capitalism works.

It seems that it's in the government's best interest to drag out this "pandemic" as long as possible. In a pandemic situation, apparently laws don't apply to them. To them I say: you cannot hide from the creator, and one day you will have to answer for your evil doings.

Masks? Good idea!
Forced masks? No!
Forced contact tracing embedded in your mobile devices? NO
Forced shutdown of all businesses, so that only government can profit, and everyone relies on them? NO!
These people do not deserve to wave the flag.
I trust in God, but he really scares me sometimes....

You make some good points , I do think that it’s the people not the government that are dragging out the pandemic till they feel they are in a safe place.

You make some good points , I do think that it’s the people not the government that are dragging out the pandemic till they feel they are in a safe place.
Perhaps...but maybe because they are being influenced by greater powers, and peer pressured? Who knows.

That sounds like NZ and Oz's action plan(apart from Vic)...and guess what.
Edit,
Proof that Covid can survive on plastic surfaces, can't fix stoopid,
1596164639895.png

Last edited:
In our county we’ve had an uptick of covid cases. Still relatively low compared to other places in the U.S. Our local health department have ordered schools to have only online classes come September. I will miss teaching in person but feel safer. We have many staff that are either older or live with family with conditions that would be unsafe if they were to get covid.

We have been dealing with this illness since January here in WA state. More and more areas in the state are deciding to start the school year online. Really would like to have testing on demand but we are still not there yet, Our state is trying to do the right things but this illness is so highly contagious.

Its hard for some to stay safe in the workplace if their boss is berating them for wearing a mask. That’s why mask wearing should be mandatory so there is no controversy. Some governors are not governing well and are not keeping their citizens safe. It’s up to you to take care and stay safe - you are on your own in some places. It looks like we will be having to live with this for awhile.

Last edited:
I don’t feel like I’m influenced by anyone but maybe that’s a Canadian vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back