Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of the term hit piece , this article was forwarded to me by a relative and I found it a informative representation of the state of the virus a year ago. Proactive measures at that time may have saved us from some of the damage this pandemic has inflicted on the planet.
Key word, “may”

Well the U.S wasn’t ready for the pandemic. We saw it everyday on the different news outlets. Remember it was a hoax - fake news! It’s really unbelievable to me that the richest society in the world is in such a perilous situation with the amount of deaths. The disability this virus have left people may last their whole lives, who knows? We know those with amputations will be their whole lives. I think we know this didn’t need to happen to such a degree. Possibility 200,000 less lives lost? We don’t really know. It’s really sad.

A more infectious version of the virus in spreading in the UK. Sigh.
All I can hope for is with it becoming more transmittable, it also has mutated to be less deadly. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
A more infectious version of the virus in spreading in the UK. Sigh.
All I can hope for is with it becoming more transmittable, it also has mutated to be less deadly. Fingers crossed.

Recommend reading the referenced source, which is short and accessible. What you suggest could certainly be the case. The virus has 23 mutations and in general, most mutations negatively affect the function of their gene products. A viral variant that's more infectious - but whose hosts stay healthier - has two selective advantages over the original version. This is how viruses evolves with their hosts. Over time, the symptoms produced may be of little concern, like those of the common cold.

B.1.1.7 has an unusually large number of genetic changes, particularly in the spike protein. Three of these mutations have potential biological effects that have been described previously to varying extents:
  • Mutation N501Y is one of six key contact residues within the receptor-binding domain (RBD) and has been identified as increasing binding affinity to human and murine ACE2.
  • The spike deletion 69-70del has been described in the context of evasion to the human immune response but has also occurred a number of times in association with other RBD changes.
  • Mutation P681H is immediately adjacent to the furin cleavage site, a known location of biological significance.

For now, sadly, the large number of changes in the spike protein could render immunity against the original version - provided by either infection or inoculation - less effective at preventing infection with this new variant. Inoculating the population against the original version applies even more selective pressure favoring the new. Read elsewhere that it's not limited to the UK. Expect to learn more on this in coming days.

People everywhere are frustrated with pandemic restrictions. From the virus' perspective, we've been ideal hosts, quickly replicating an unimaginably vast pool of genetic material from which it can evolve whatever it might need. May have celebrated too soon. :disgust:

Last edited:
The new uk rules are wank...
So im allowed to work all day with my dad and see my mum as we all work together...
But boris says i cant see them for xmas day....
Gonna be a lot of old people having their last xmas alone...

Went to my mums on saturday... noticed ambulance across road at a neighbors house. We know the family well..
I saw the father of the family walking from his door to ambulance, unaided...
Didnt think much of it...

My mum jus called to tell me he had died this morning.. he was going to be 40 tomorrow. Left wife and children behind, truly tragic.
My heart goes out to the family i cant imagine what they are going through.

It started with the son getting sent home from rugby unwell. He tested positive for covid...
He then unfortunately passed it to his father..
He became short of breath on saturday, called ambulance, which is when i saw him. Then died within a day..
I cant imagine how the son feels..
Truly truly awful..
Take care everyone...

Went to my mums on saturday... noticed ambulance across road at a neighbors house. We know the family well..
I saw the father of the family walking from his door to ambulance, unaided...
Didnt think much of it...

My mum jus called to tell me he had died this morning.. he was going to be 40 tomorrow. Left wife and children behind, truly tragic.
My heart goes out to the family i cant imagine what they are going through.

It started with the son getting sent home from rugby unwell. He tested positive for covid...
He then unfortunately passed it to his father..
He became short of breath on saturday, called ambulance, which is when i saw him. Then died within a day..
I cant imagine how the son feels..
Truly truly awful..
Take care everyone...
That's awful, this year won't be missed for sure.

My precious daughter just made home from the EU after connecting thru AMS...She tested negative after 32 hours of flying home for Xmas.
She will probably just stay here for now. Poor kid went months looked at home, Madrid had some really strict curfews, and was her first year living alone abroad. She looked tired and happy to be home.
This Christmas I am really glad I have Folks around, perhaps more than ever.
Love and Let people know you do.

Sounds about right
FB_IMG_1608592584788.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
More on the coronavirus variant.

Estimated transmissibility and severity of novel SARS-CoV-2 Variant of Concern 202012/01 in England

A novel SARS-CoV-2 variant, VOC 202012/01, emerged in southeast England in November 2020 and appears to be rapidly spreading towards fixation. We fitted a two-strain mathematical model of SARS-CoV-2 transmission to observed COVID-19 hospital admissions, hospital and ICU bed occupancy, and deaths; SARS-CoV-2 PCR prevalence and seroprevalence; and the relative frequency of VOC 202012/01 in the three most heavily affected NHS England regions (South East, East of England, and London). We estimate that VOC 202012/01 is 56% more transmissible (95% credible interval across three regions 50-74%) than preexisting variants of SARS-CoV-2. We were unable to find clear evidence that VOC 202012/01 results in greater or lesser severity of disease than preexisting variants. Nevertheless, the increase in transmissibility is likely to lead to a large increase in incidence, with COVID-19 hospitalisations and deaths projected to reach higher levels in 2021 than were observed in 2020, even if regional tiered restrictions implemented before 19 December are maintained. Our estimates suggest that control measures of a similar stringency to the national lockdown implemented in England in November 2020 are unlikely to reduce the effective reproduction number Rt to less than 1, unless primary schools, secondary schools, and universities are also closed. We project that large resurgences of the virus are likely to occur following easing of control measures. It may be necessary to greatly accelerate vaccine roll-out to have an appreciable impact in suppressing the resulting disease burden.

IMO travel needs to be monitored closely with testing everywhere. Oceans don’t protect us. Maybe some kind of limited air travel as well in heavily affected areas. It sounds draconian but people are careless. Just a couple months.
Airline companies want to make money so they are packing their planes with customers. Planes might be safer than before but those crowded airports is when I cringe. More quarantine before a flight.
In the beginning of the pandemic here in the U.S it was tragic all those folks all coming back from other countries back in March or April. I think that’s what escalated the disease back in the spring. I remember seeing the shoulder to shoulder crowds. I thought how crazy to have everyone come back all at once. Some had masks and some didn’t. I can’t imagine flying right now unless it was a huge emergency.

At this point I can’t believe how many pandemic denying is out there. Kinda like ecological planet change denying. Probably same kinda folks. We send ourselves and children to universities to learn science and math then deny the findings? What the hell! A lot of screwed up thinking of facts.

Last edited:
IMO travel needs to be monitored closely with testing everywhere.

The UK could well have discovered the variant because it sensibly does a lot of genomic surveillance. Not just testing for, but also sequencing, the viral RNA found. Not surprisingly, the US doesn't. For all we know, the variant could already account for a significant number of our >200K new cases every day.

At this point I can’t believe how many pandemic denying is out there. Kinda like ecological planet change denying. Probably same kinda folks. We send ourselves and children to universities to learn science and math then deny the findings? What the hell! A lot of screwed up thinking of facts.

Doubt there are many legitimate scientists and mathematicians among COVID and climate change (and let's not forget evolution) deniers. Don't people who feel looked down upon by an elite, educated class account for much of the outgoing US administration's undeniable support? The idea that knowledge derives from evidence and reason has always been challenged by faith-based altenatives, whether religious or conspiratorial; the internet seems to weaponize them.

Don't people who feel looked down upon by an elite, educated class account for much of the outgoing US administration's undeniable support?
Oh yes.....All Republicans are all second rate (as in non-elite), uneducated, snake handling, tongue talking religious fanatics that can't possibly follow objective evidence to a logical conclusion.

FFS! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

All Republicans
Nowhere was it implied that all Republicans support the outgoing administration. The recent elections showed stronger support for Republican candidates than for the administration. Hopefully, those voters will extricate themselves from the elements in their party to which you refer.

Oh yes.....All Republicans are all second rate (as in non-elite), uneducated, snake handling, tongue talking religious fanatics that can't possibly follow objective evidence to a logical conclusion.

FFS! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
What does FFS mean? I don’t do Facebook, really I don’t know. I tried to look it up, there were several examples that it suggested. Use real words so we all know what you are saying. I know I’m old fashioned, I don’t know the lingo.

Last edited:
There's nothing intrinsically political about the current epistemological crisis, to which @CarolKing referred. "Populist" movements have legitimized some of the more vocal challengers of empiricism, so it's come to be associated with them, but that's all. Far from sniping, many liberals see this as a moment to reach out to reasonable conservatives, which is consistent with the Christmas spirit. Sorry if that was unclear.

COVID shows how the epistemological crisis can be deadly. Its philosophical, historical, scientific, educational, etc. aspects should be fair game, IMO, because it's an important, interesting, and relevant subject. Isn't that why discussion fora exist?

Change of pace
Coal in this kitties stocking
IMG_20201224_223707.jpg
Just jumped over me for the vape bag!
Bad kitty
The other cats no interest at all, this one gets into tug o wars with my vape bag!

There's a few in the thread who discuss with civil, reasonably pragmatic and by sharing links that have INFORMATION
Then there is others that constantly snipe, gripe, speak with elitist/better than attitude and rather confrontational baiting and a lot more OPINION and attacks when something opposing their FEELINGS as opposed to discussion and a thoughtful back and forth

It reads rather obvious which comments are which and which ones pick and choose the details that suit their agenda and leave out the rest of the facts instead of actual full spectrum analysis
Also painfully obvious which comments are discussing the actual information and which repeatedly just spit their political preference or opposition to others even when it's just a small part of the entire post
Can't be picking and choosing which facts you want to quote and can't be spitting half the facts to make your point look valid

Not everyone shares the same thoughts
But WINNING discussions and being willfully ignorant or willfully blind to the full information on whatever topic or "side" you are on is a huge problem with this world let alone the topic at hand here
You don't WIN conversations - they are not supposed to be competitive but informative and enlightening

I rarely add to this thread because I find it isn't a productive place most of the time

I do find the comments that within a day or two often contradict themselves amusing though at times

Pig headedness and the unwillingness to open your mind to another pov is apparent and keeps ppl in the same ignorant bubble for life no matter who they are or what they think they know or what "status" in life they have

It's already the 25th here, not that Christmas means a lot to me besides commercial crud and a religion that isn't part of my culture

I do enjoy the good food and hanging out with family though - unless your family is in the rich and privileged North shore here in Ausland where they can't travel because of their current Rona break out

Hope you all have as good a Christmas day tomorrow as you can depending on everyones differing circumstances

I'll dip out of this thread again now and keep reading the selective pragmatism

Off to the weed based threads the forum is for

I think some in here need to go have a vape, or better yet a few dabs and chillax

Stay safe ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back