Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Helios it is an Informative post, and interesting video, except....
I tried to go to website that you gave us, but my computer warns me that the website is unsafe.
I am not sure if I believe him... I already explained that I am the power of attorney for one, and the authorized rep for the other of 2 patients that live at a facility 1/4 mile from me, named Devon Gables.
1500+ already ill patients are on their second dose, without one mishap, illness or of course death.

I may just be untrusting because my computer says the website is unsafe..
Also:
Covid Deaths after vaccinations unrelated to Covid Vaccine
Even Hank Aaron's death previously touted as Covid Vaccine related has been disproved.
Hank Aaron's Death Unrelated to Covid Vaccine
More news:

I find more articles showing the Vaccination's safety, than those claiming danger.

Last edited:
Good info is tricky to come by, mostly censored now vitolo, disinfo is readily available, Misinfo spewed constantly by corporate Presstitutes.

think for self and decide for self.
Nice chatting Vito!

More on the real concern with vaccines - not enough people will take them. :rip:herd immunity.

Opinion: The coronavirus is mutating. Will our vaccines keep up?

Opinion by John M. Barry
Jan. 27, 2021 at 7:32 p.m. EST

More troubling may be the strain which has surfaced in Manaus, a Brazilian city of 2.2 million where an estimated 76 percent of the population has been infected and therefore should have enough naturally acquired immunity to constrain, if not suffocate, the spread of covid-19. That was the case for a while. But a new strain similar to the one in South Africa emerged, and infections caused by it are surging again in Manaus. This strongly suggests the virus has acquired the ability to evade naturally acquired immunity.

Both the Brazilian and South African strains have spread to other countries. On Monday, the strain from Manaus was identified in Minnesota.

Even if these new strains remain highly susceptible to the vaccines we already have, their emergence suggests that SARS-Cov-2 has the ability to mutate enough that it could, over time, evade a vaccine.

That means several things. First, the virus is never going away. Even if it could be eliminated from the human population, it can infect other mammals, mutate in them and then jump back to humans.

Second, the more people infected, the more opportunity the virus has to mutate in a direction that creates problems. So, it is in the self-interest of wealthy countries to get vaccines distributed worldwide to limit those opportunities.

Third, covid-19 will become much like influenza, requiring year-round, worldwide, surveillance of new strains and regular updating and administration of vaccines. We may not need a new vaccine every year, but we will need new vaccines, nonetheless.

There is one other answer. Scientists must search for parts of the virus that remain stable amid mutations and still generate an immune response. With influenza, scientists have made progress toward this. For both viruses, that’s the vaccine we need. That is now the holy grail.

music.jpg

Welcome to the roller-coaster of pandemic hope. From Newsweek (WARNING: EDITED FOR THE FAINT OF HEART - FULL ARTICLE IMPLIES US RESPONSE TO DATE LESS THAN PERFECT):

New COVID Mutations Could Prolong Pandemic for Another Year, Despite Vaccines

BY DAVID H. FREEDMAN ON 1/28/21

...The nightmare scenario: the virus mutates into a variant that renders current vaccines weakened or obsolete before the rollout reaches the 150 million or so people needed to achieve herd immunity, which would halt the virus in its tracks.

If we're really unlucky, mutated versions of SARS-CoV-2 already circulating are enough to cause such a setback. That's what some studies suggest—though these are preliminary, and it could take weeks or months of collecting patient data to clearly demonstrate what any particular variant is doing. "All indications are that these variants of the virus could be a significant challenge to the vaccine," says Michael Osterholm, the straight-talking infectious disease expert at the University of Minnesota who was a key member of Joe Biden's pre-inauguration COVID advisory board. "Without a doubt that's potentially the most overwhelming problem we face."...

Dangerous mutations are popping up left and right in part because the COVID-19 case rate is so high. When the virus enters a person's bloodstream, it creates billions of copies of itself in the victim's cells. The essence of mutation is that some of those copies aren't quite identical to the original. In the vast majority of cases, these random mutations have little effect on the virus, or even reduce its ability to infect and sicken. But given enough opportunities, a copy of the virus is bound to end up changed in a way that makes it more transmissible, deadlier, or able to beat the vaccine—or, in the worst-case scenario, all three.

With more than 25 million known cases in the U.S. and 100 million worldwide, the virus has a vast playground for trying new mutations. The more infected people, the more likely that a vaccine-defeating virus will pop up sometime soon...

Scientists' biggest concern is the emergence of variants that can render the vaccine less effective. The first crop of those variants is already here: one first turned up in South Africa, another in Brazil, and a third in Washington State. The two vaccines approved in the U.S.—from Pfizer and Moderna—work by stimulating the body's immune system to produce antibodies that primarily look for the spike protein on the virus. The altered spike proteins in the South Africa, Brazil and Washington variants seem to make them as much as ten times less recognizable to those antibodies, according to lab studies that have been posted, though not yet peer-reviewed. (These variants can probably also defeat the monoclonal-antibody therapies that have proven effective in reducing the severity of illness in COVID patients and may lead to false negative results in testing.) Novavax reported that its vaccine proved 90 percent effective in U.K. tests but only 50 percent in South Africa, which suggests it may be less effective against the variant that arose there. (Scientists cautioned that the data was preliminary and the South African study was too small to draw firm conclusions.)

Immune responses are complex and not fully understood. It's possible that contrary to the lab findings many or even most vaccinated people will end up with a variety of antibodies and other immune defenses, some of which won't be fooled by the mutations of the spike protein that have emerged so far. That's a reasonable expectation, notes Sharone Green, a physician and researcher specializing in infectious disease at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. "The variants are concerning, but so far there's nothing in the peer-reviewed literature that says they make the vaccine less effective," she says.

Even if we luck out with the variants that have already arisen, more are inevitably on the way. "We can expect strains that have further mutated into something that better evades the immune response from the vaccine," says Anthony Harris, a physician who heads clinical operations at Workcare, a company that helps organizations reduce employee infection risks. The annual flu vaccine, for example, is typically only 50-to-70-percent effective in large part because the influenza viruses are so good at continually and rapidly mutating. The COVID-19 virus is pretty good at mutating, too: The U.K. and South African variants, both of which have reached the U.S., carry eight and nine mutations, respectively, to the spike protein. While there are no specific number or type of mutations to the protein needed to defeat the vaccine, any combination of mutations to the protein raises the threat.

The vaccines can win this race, even with resistant variants already in circulation. To do so, it will have to bring case rates way down before vaccine-defeating variants have a chance to spread widely. If the case rates drop enough, then limited outbreaks of vaccine-resistant variants could be controlled with quarantines, lockdowns, and other standard containment efforts. In addition, low case rates provide the virus with fewer opportunities to develop additional mutations that could cause even bigger problems.

Vaccine developers, meanwhile, would get the time they need to come up with versions that are effective against the variants—a process that might take as little as three months from start to rollout, if the tweaks to the vaccine are minor enough to win FDA approval without large clinical trials. "We can keep adapting the vaccine to chase the virus as it mutates," says Osterholm. Pfizer and Moderna have already announced fast-moving efforts to produce booster shots for vaccinated people that will improve their immunity to the known variants, and they'd likely be able to do the same for future variants. There are also proposals to deliver a third shot of the existing vaccines, which might raise resistance enough to defeat the variants.

But if virus-evading mutations get around more quickly than the initial vaccines do, we'll essentially have to start from scratch in vaccinating the population, likely crushing hopes of defeating the pandemic this year....

All these challenges threaten to indefinitely delay hitting herd immunity—the point at which a large-enough percentage of the population has achieved immunity, whether through vaccine or infection, to rob the virus of enough potential victims to continue spreading widely. Herd immunity would essentially mark the end of the crisis....

If we don't get to herd immunity, or close to it, by late fall, we face the possibility of a significant third wave of the pandemic. That's what happened in the influenza pandemic of 1918, which returned with a vengeance in 1919 to kill millions more around the world...

The bottom line: There's a good chance the pandemic will be with us into 2022. If so, the virus will by then have had plenty of opportunity to evolve into strains that the current vaccine can't stop. But new versions of the vaccines adapted to these strains will be coming out. In addition, much of the population will likely have started to build up broader natural or vaccine-induced immunity to the virus that will at least lessen the impact of the new strains. Ultimately, COVID-19 is probably destined to end up much like the common cold or the flu. That's typically how pandemics wind down. "We'll all get reimmunized every year, problem solved," says Rosenberg....

Last edited:
hahaha...the answer is the @momofthegoons special biohazard suit....waddaya tink, dere tink? LOL

1612024639037.png

I suggest full head to toe burkas.
Triple mask mandate
That might have avoided this. Or just most of us following reasonable precautions under the circumstances. Instead, we let nature run its course.

We learned that if nature cares at all, it's probably all for anything that reduces our numbers. Now we have several, distinct, much tougher versions to contend with. All of us, probably, whether we've already been sick or were recently vaccinated. We could well be back where we started, worse, really. The next few weeks will tell.

[Edit: Just read that Novavax and Johnson and Johnson reported some, but lower, efficacy for their vaccines against the South African variant. Nothing comparable on the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but all target the spike protein, so it's reasonable to expect similar results. (The spike protein is mutated in this variant.) Keep in mind that more than 200 vaccines are in development. Some target other proteins or whole virus. It's possible these might provide immunity against a more conserved protein/region and offer comparable immunity among strains. Didn't want to be too alarming.]

Very hopeful when our cleverness had once again seemed to get us out of a bind. Relieved when parents were vaccinated. Thought for sure SARS-CoV-2 would kill them. Now, one of its progeny might.

Other than that, life probably won't change much, personally. If anything, the habits distancing encouraged have been mostly positive. Eating better (dropped 20 lbs), quit drinking and vaping nicotine, spending less money, flossing... Not looking forward to resuming work travel at all. Don't really care about anyone else dying, and realistically, the parents might be better off in a medically-induced coma.

Still, pushing the time-frame back a year feels like a crushing disappointment.

Last edited:
I hope nothing but good for us all.
I was on some meds that crushed my immune system so 8 weeks of extreme quarantine is now over and tomorrow I get to hug my kids.....I cannot express how I feel about that with words.
I weep for all the oldies that went without that..........and died anyways.
I don't have the answer or even know the right question in this one.......may the universe in its infinite expanse find mercy on us all.

I was lucky enough to sign up for a Covid vaccine for last Saturday. It filled up 5 minutes after I signed up. There was only enough vaccine for 400 appointments. Felt guilty about going in even though I was eligible but I was thinking about the elder folks that aren’t computer savvy enough to get an appointment. How rediculious that older folks that don’t know anything about computers are suppose to sign up in such a way. Finally my state is setting up and training people to answer phones with a 1-800 # for older folks. They knew for 9 months they would need to do this. I thought we were on top of things in my state.

My arm is still a little sore. I didn’t have any side effects other than being tired on Sunday. The clinic was held in one of our local high schools and was run very smoothly. I just filled out a form that I printed and brought with me along with my drivers lisence.

I was lucky enough to sign up for a Covid vaccine for last Saturday.

Good for you! But keep in mind that these vaccines may have reduced efficacy against the South African and Brazilian variants, which will soon dominate new cases in the US (unless an even more contagious variant comes along). Still very much worth taking, but you can't let your guard down if you want to avoid infection.

I had been working from home. I needed to go back to working around others. I’ve worn a mask going out since last March. I plan on wearing two masks. I would be willing to get a booster as well further down the line. If they come up with something against the variants. Already scheduled for the end of the month to get the second injection. Awesome that they scheduled us for the second dose while we were at the clinic.

I have resumed seeing patients.
I respect and fear the virus, and I really take precautions as seriously as I can.
I go in goggled, masked and gloved... bag over shoulder, sanitizer in one hand and thermoscanner in the other.
I avoid being indoors, and keep ourselves seriously distanced.
I do not slip up.
Never.
Coming in I suit up, and when I leave...
I spray self with Lysol mist outside of car.
I don't wear my gloves entering car, I dispose of them 'inside out' in a bag waiting in my pocket.
I do not wear my mask entering my home, they get put in the same Ziplock as the gloves.
I sanitize, mist self again, throw ziplock away in trash outside of home.
I also use supersize zipper bags for when I bring laptop with me.
I don't bring it indoors unless I have promised access to info.
I never enter a public rest room.
I do not use ANY bathrooms away from my home at all.
Sorry for the deep explanation.....
What I do is risky in this time.
I admit this.
I am tired of this virus stopping my life, and I am trying my best not to do that to those I serve.
The Dental clinic, is not doing cleanings, or routine exams yet!!
I have not had an exam in over year (was due the first week of pandemic)
I only get to go to dentist on emergency basis (filling tomorrow, and crown next Tuesday).
That does not feel secure to me. I like my dental exams and cleanings.
As new patients are referred they tell me the doctor has said positive things about me.
If I do not have success the Doctors may stop referring.
That first week or two.... that is all I have to insure to my satisfaction that they do not go down the combustion path.
If they smoke and like it, that could dampen any success I might have convincing them that vaporization
is better in a few weeks or a month.... or 3 months later.
It felt good getting that off my chest.
What I am saying is that Yes.......... in my taking the risks of seeing patients, I believe myself
to be staying safe.

If they come up with something against the variants.

Already working on it. The mRNA viruses, in particular, are quick and easy to update. The only change is the sequence of the mRNA to account for recent mutations. It remains to be seen whether these updates can be approved expeditiously.

But we'll probably never get ahead of the virus family now. We'll always be playing catch up with vaccine updates that won't be as effective by the time we get them.

The Dental clinic, is not doing cleanings, or routine exams yet!!
I have not had an exam in over year (was due the first week of pandemic)

You seem to have excellent aseptic technique. While preventative dentistry can be put off, some medical follow-up can't. Learned yesterday that Mom skipped her March cystoscopy to check for recurrent bladder cancer. If she missed something, it's been growing for another year. Probably a much greater concern than COVID.

NYT article makes an important point: even if vaccines aren't as effective at preventing infection by the more contagious variants, they may still protect against severe disease. Hopefully, they also protect against chronic disease.

Vaccine News Gives Hope for Spring, if Enough People Get the Shots

New data from several vaccine trials offer positive signs, but many public health experts say emerging variants mean the next few months will be a race against the virus.
By Katie Thomas and Rebecca Robbins
Feb. 3, 2021

In the past week alone, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson reported that their vaccines offered good protection, including against new, more contagious variants of the coronavirus. And a new analysis from the University of Oxford suggests its vaccine, developed with AstraZeneca, has the potential to slow transmission and works especially well when second doses are delayed...

Although cases in the United States have fallen in recent weeks, they are still at levels that are nearly twice as high as last summer’s peak, even as some major cities, like Chicago and New York, are opening indoor dining and other activities. The rollbacks on restrictions are also coming as contagious new variants circle the globe, some of which appear to make the vaccines less effective...

Dr. Eric Topol, a clinical trials expert at Scripps Research in San Diego, recalled feeling hopeful as recently as December that the pandemic could be tamed in the United States by June, thanks to the flurry of encouraging vaccine data. But as the picture grew clearer in the past few weeks about the threat posed by new, more contagious variants of the virus spreading in other countries that have begun to turn up in the United States — particularly the B.1.1.7 variant first seen in Britain — his optimism has faded.

“The variants changed everything,” Dr. Topol said.

Preliminary studies have shown that the vaccines from Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson appear to work against the B.1.1.7 variant, and that they are also effective — although less so — against the variant first identified in South Africa. Even in the case of that variant, Johnson & Johnson’s study showed that it still protected against severe disease...

Although the newer vaccines have not demonstrated the same high level of overall efficacy as Moderna and Pfizer did last year, and two have not yet reported results from their U.S. clinical trials, several vaccine experts have pointed to an overlooked but highly promising detail: All of the vaccines have shown excellent protection against the severe form of Covid-19 that leads to hospitalization and death.

“What I want to avoid is for people to be sick to the point of hospitalization or tragically passing away from Covid-19,” said Dr. Stefan Baral, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The news that the vaccines protect against those outcomes, he said, is “incredibly uplifting.”

So far cases are down this week in the area where I live in Western WA. Our county actually went into phase 2 allowing restaurants and gyms at 25% capacity. I only get take out. No restaurants for me for a while. No bars open. Bars and restaurants should have been the first to close.

I was reading about the pandemic in 1918/1920 flu and people acted similarly as to how people are acting today. Refusing to believe how bad it really was. To think about way less communication back then. We have been inundated with lies and falsehoods even though we know better now. Lies about Hank Aaron dying due to his covid vaccine - a lie. Who starts stuff like that! So discouraged with how people are affected mentally by this. That type of misinformation does do damage. So how many will not get vaccinated because of that lie?

Last edited:
Lots of reports of decreased fertility in men after the vaccine... thats a surprise..

Im also not happy about testing the vaccine on kids...

So far cases are down this week in the area where I live in Western WA...

I was reading about the pandemic in 1918/1920 flu and people acted similarly as to how people are acting today.

Too early to reopen with community spread of variants already happening and uncertainty about vaccine efficacy against them. Makes it more likely we'll see a spike in cases - and provides even more opportunity for viral evolution of new variants.

Is your research on the 1918 pandemic about the US? Americans are still Americans. Anti-intellectualism and anti-science opinions have deep roots here. Earlier, posted an old photo of people "wearing" masks in the same ways they do today - under the chin, dangling from one ear, etc.

Lots of reports of decreased fertility in men after the vaccine... thats a surprise..

Im also not happy about testing the vaccine on kids...

Reference? Finding reports of decreased fertility after COVID, but not after vaccination. Vaccines are tested in kids before kids can receive them. Testing in adults and observation of the general population after distribution provide confidence, but imagine legitimate questions remain regarding informed consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back