Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
  • Welcome to VaporAsylum! Please take a moment to read our RULES and introduce yourself here.
  • Need help navigating the forum? Find out how to use our features here.
  • Did you know we have lots of smilies for you to use?

Vape D nail Halo and Nimbus

Got my Dnail Sic Halo kit today, not happy, they forgot to send the forked dabber handle but what is worse is I can plug the heater into my PID controller and it reads a false temperature of 150f while cold. As soon as I tell my PID to heat it blows the fuse (lucky it has one). I repaced the fuse and reinstalled my old coil and everything is fine again. Tried the Dnail flat heater and same incorrect temp and the fuse pops as soon as I hit the heat button. The new flat coils says it is 220-240v so that is correct, I don't know what else I can do apart from sending Dnail this same info and ask for help.:disgust:
On a positive note, they sent me 3x Boro Comets and 1x Sic Comet.
Now I need to go and get some more glass tube fuses so I can still use my old Ti DHGate dish.:shakehead:

I have sent a couple of messages to Dnail, maybe my DHGate PID has its wiring set to the heater that came with it and that might be different to everybody else.:thumbsup:
We will see what Dnail suggest, at worst I can get one of their PID controllers sent freight free with my owed Forked dabber handle (I hope I can keep mine to use as it is great to use with its temperature rotary knob adjustment or remote control.:smile:

I was going to say the same as @Shredder
When researching my auber and the 710 coil I read how there are more than one wiring pattern - I have been an audio tech and some XLR speakers and mics are also wired different to some amps
I asked to make sure my 710 coil would work with my auber

I am pretty sure Shane said his coils work with dnail PIDs and auber and some other name I forgot

Which would mean that your dnail would hopefully work with an auber if you had to re buy a pid - dnail PIDs are expensive in comparison

The other option could be to open the back of your working XLR plug and then rewire the new one the same, I've done this at gigs last minute before to gets speakers running with the power amp supplied

Sorry to hear mate, sucks getting new toys and not being able to use them straight away

Dnail email was slow af for me too so hope they work better for you

If they take too long I'd be asking about auber compatibility with ppl who may know or rewiring

Hope you get something sorted soon mate

open the back of your working XLR plug
I pulled the plug from the front and all the wires are heat shrunk on to the back of the plug and typical Chinese, not enough wire length to be able to pull it out more than 10mm, just enough to see. I then tried to get into the body of the PID, took out the screws but could not get anything to budge.:thinker:
I would not know which way to reconnect the plug to match the Dnail anyway, quite a few different combinations are available with 5 pins.:thumbsup:
I will try to find out if the Auber works with the Dnail in the meantime, ready to pounce on it if I need to.:myday:

Edit, Google search found;
They for sure work together fine, Auber units are wired to the dnail "standard" wiring. There are several members using this combo with no issues, and loving it.

Last edited:
I pulled the plug from the front and all the wires are heat shrunk on to the back of the plug and typical Chinese, not enough wire length to be able to pull it out more than 10mm, just enough to see. I then tried to get into the body of the PID, took out the screws but could not get anything to budge.:thinker:
I would not know which way to reconnect the plug to match the Dnail anyway, quite a few different combinations are available with 5 pins.:thumbsup:
I will try to find out if the Auber works with the Dnail in the meantime, ready to pounce on it if I need to.:myday:

Edit, Google search found;
They for sure work together fine, Auber units are wired to the dnail "standard" wiring. There are several members using this combo with no issues, and loving it.
Yea if you have no colours and things to reference it can be hard
As I haven't opened my coils ever I don't know what they look like sorry

I thought the dnail and auber worked, cool
Well if you have to buy a pid I'd prob go the auber for price

I think it came with a free flat coil too so you will have a spare to use as a dog lead coz you prob will never break one...lol

+US$45 for the flat coil if added, I was even looking at the RDK-200 as it is only $69 +$28 freight(reasonable).:thumbsup:
I read on Dnail's site that they say I could damage the PID and coil if not hooked up correctly, do you think I have stuffed the Dnail heater or do you think the fuse popping on my PID as soon as I hit the heat function would have saved it? You make it sound as if the Flat coil is quite sturdy, I hope it is or should I get the spare from Auber too.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=459
RDK200_BK2.jpg

Looks pretty good, on sale for $69

+US$45 for the flat coil if added, I was even looking at the RDK-200 as it is only $69 +$28 freight(reasonable).:thumbsup:
I read on Dnail's site that they say I could damage the PID and coil if not hooked up correctly, do you think I have stuffed the Dnail heater or do you think the fuse popping on my PID as soon as I hit the heat function would have saved it? You make it sound as if the Flat coil is quite sturdy, I hope it is or should I get the spare from Auber too.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=45&products_id=459
RDK200_BK2.jpg

Looks pretty good, on sale for $69
Looks heaps nice
Way cheaper than when I got mine

I think I paid $99 for the rdk 100 so you got a good price there too, although the flat coil was either free or only $20 by memory which isn't necessarily acurate in this instance

I reckon your coil should be okay because of your fuse but maybe to avoid further waiting and disappointment you should get a new coil

As soon as I tell my PID to heat it blows the fuse (lucky it has one)
I had this same issue with the DNail PID I bought. It would start to heat up and then the GFI would blow. I had a devil of a time convincing DNail that it wasn't the wiring of my house. I sent videos and assured then that I had been able to run my analog enail from them just fine on the same circuit.

They sent me several replacement coils... none solved the problem. Eventually they had me send the entire PID back to them. Turns out the PID was faulty and I got a new one. But this entire process took over a month.

My bet is that it's your PID Les and not the coil.

My bet is that it's your PID Les and not the coil.
PID now works fine again with its original coil, I would say the XLR wiring was different on my DHGate than what is standard (Newvape had different wiring on the same plug)
I think I paid $99 for the rdk 100
I thought you had the RDK300, that was on sale a while back for $99 when I got my DHGate Menovo PID, I guess I chose the wrong one back then.:disgust:
Oh well, no matter, I will keep the Menovo set up with my QB and get the Auber for the Dnail.:thumbsup:
I am still on the fence about getting the Auber coil, is there any way I can check it with a multimeter:thinker: I could check impedance between the posts on my working DHGate coil and see if it somehow correlates with the DNail...:sherlock:

PID now works fine again with its original coil, I would say the XLR wiring was different on my DHGate than what is standard (Newvape had different wiring on the same plug)

I thought you had the RDK300, that was on sale a while back for $99 when I got my DHGate Menovo PID, I guess I chose the wrong one back then.:disgust:
Oh well, no matter, I will keep the Menovo set up with my QB and get the Auber for the Dnail.:thumbsup:
I am still on the fence about getting the Auber coil, is there any way I can check it with a multimeter:thinker: I could check impedance between the posts on my working DHGate coil and see if it somehow correlates with the DNail...:sherlock:
I just checked the back of my auber
Yes, you are correct I paid $99 for the rdk 300a
And now I think back I believe maybe I did pay $45 for the flat coil but that was half dnail coil or something?

I just saw your pic above and it looked.more modern than mine
My 300 is more plain looking

If you started checking impedence you could maybe eventually work out how to rewire it...lol

But yes I like the idea of having one for the QB and one for the halo

I have sometimes thought it would be nice to have two outputs for different coils

I think your coil will be fine tbh
I reckon the fuse took it
If anything were to be damaged I'd say the pid would have been if had no fuse like the auber

I believe your coil is okay
But it would suck to get an rdk and have to wait again for a coil too because I was wrong

have to wait again for a coil
I still have my QB and Ti, I have been using the DNail carb cap with my own handle and it spins the quartz balls I received a while back in my Ti nail for a nice flashover, you can hear and feel them spinning as you draw...I am liking it.:thumbsup:
I will do a bit more checking and see what DNail say but I think I will just get the RDK200, the cables out the front actually suit me better, cable location and no session timer are about the only difference between the 2...and 50 bucks.:smoke:

I have sent a couple of messages to Dnail, maybe my DHGate PID has its wiring set to the heater that came with it and that might be different to everybody else.:thumbsup:
We will see what Dnail suggest, at worst I can get one of their PID controllers sent freight free with my owed Forked dabber handle (I hope I can keep mine to use as it is great to use with its temperature rotary knob adjustment or remote control.:smile:

Edit, Dnail PID is US$250, so I might look at a RDK300 if I need another controller.
I have had a bad coil from D-nail once and they replaced it. The TC just didn't report correctly.

D-nail pin outs are the "defacto" standard...defacto because there ain't a real standard but probably 90% of the heater coil industry uses this: Full size, five pin, XLR connector with these pin outs; Pins 1 & 2 = power, Pins 3 & 4 = thermocouple, Pin 5 = ground.

Vapecode (DHGate PID supplier) does NOT use this pin out and Vapecode is the supplier to New Vape for their Flower Pot Controllers (although NV now does sell Auber PID and D-nail compatible coils). Auber is def the above pin outs.

If no joy from D-nail, I suggest looking at 710coils.com flat coil...its is compatible with 220V and the cables on his coils are the best (lay out nice and flat) that I have seen.

https://710coils.com/collections/coils/products/30mm-flat

DNail got back to me and apologised for not sending my Fork Dabber Handle and will post tomorrow with some 'Little Freebies'.

They also offered to help me navigate rewiring my DHGate to suit the Dnail but I said I have an Auber RDK-200 on order and he said he was 90% sure the wiring is compatible (this has been confirmed as true with more research) DNail also believes my PID fuse would have saved the coil from harm...he hoped...me too.:myday:

Pleased o say my DNail flat coil was undamaged after plugging it into my DHGate PID.
My Auber RDK200v2 PID controller arrived today and works with the Halo just fine!
The controller looks and feels 'Cheap' but not 'Nasty' and is supplied with the shortest power cord I have ever seen, 2ft, US hard wired plug with one of those nasty plug adapters...oh well, it fits just fine for me but others might not be so lucky.

That SiC Comet(terp ball) spins off and out of the Halo dish if you pull the carb cap off too early, mine bounced off my chest onto my black carpet, very hard to find, a black 4.7mm ball on black carpet, I found it by the heat, it had melted its way down about 4mm into the carport.

Pleased o say my DNail flat coil was undamaged after plugging it into my DHGate PID.
My Auber RDK200v2 PID controller arrived today and works with the Halo just fine!
The controller looks and feels 'Cheap' but not 'Nasty' and is supplied with the shortest power cord I have ever seen, 2ft, US hard wired plug with one of those nasty plug adapters...oh well, it fits just fine for me but others might not be so lucky.

That SiC Comet(terp ball) spins off and out of the Halo dish if you pull the carb cap off too early, mine bounced off my chest onto my black carpet, very hard to find, a black 4.7mm ball on black carpet, I found it by the heat, it had melted its way down about 4mm into the carport.
Haha
Carpet holes from sic terp balls
Good to hear you are off and running with the halo :)
I guess my rdk 300 is extra money for the longer cord and slick finish
I thought yours looked good in pic but I guess diff in person
As long as it works :)

Happy halos mate :)

I now know why DNail called their terp balls Comets!

What temperature are all you food people using with your SiC Halos?

I'm on about 650 recently
I prefer the dab to finish quick and not vape off for ages so have used higher temps in the past
But at 650 it tastes quite nice and doesn't go on for too long as a compromise

That seems sort of hot to me. Do the SIC Halos take a higher temp than quartz bangers? I've been dabbing at around 510 with my quartz.
I used to have it high and hot
Good hit and dab done with, no smoking nail/QB for ages after

Then I read anything above 750 or something is starting to combust again and releasing extra carcinogens
So I went to 710 as it was a good temp to hit and be done

But I'm enjoying the flavour at around 650 now and it doesn't "smoke" for ages after

Not quite as quick as I like but good compromise of taste vs dabbing and coughing too long

At 550 or less it just wisps on for too long and annoys me

At 900 it didn't taste as good (still good if used to smoking) but was over quick and less coughing and hit hard

710 was good to get it done quick but no combustion

650 best of all worlds in the middle

I go down sometimes but the dabs just take too long to finsih

I've been running my dhgate nail and SiC halo at 580F, it's been so long since I checked the dish temps, the delta was like 115 off, so the dish temps were around 465. With the ruby pearls I am using from 710gems, I am able to drop the temps another 20F and get similar performance.

I've been known to take some hotter dabs when the time calls for it, but usually my doses are 2-3 hits, I try and keep the dabs smaller but the pain I deal with often has me with less patience and desire to sit at the table and have an extended session.

Since I dont keep my coil on at all times, I also found I like to take uptemp dabs on the halo. When it hits about 500F on the controller I'll drop my dab and get some of the tastiest hits and then it gets up to the higher temps and finishes. Usually the dab is gone before it reaches the set temp lol

Terp pearl x1 + Dnail universal carb cap is absolutely beautiful way to dab! It's my daily driver. About 2-3 times a year I'll break out my cracked sapphire halo and can drop the temps 20F compared to the SiC for a similar experience, slightly more flavor.

I started at 666f (sounded like a good number) but have already dropped back to 600f, it gives me more time to add the cap, wait for a second and then drive the terp ball(s) through the now bubbling smear for a nice thick tasty cloud.
I also think I can notice a difference between the boro and the SiC Comets?

Sponsored by

VGoodiez 420EDC
Back